Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

April 12
1738 - Fr. Francisco Garcés born in Spain; came through SCV in 1776, found Tataviam fighting with Coastal Chumash, observed Santa Clara River flowing by night and dry by day despite the season being spring [story]
Garces statue

HGTV is now casting in Santa Clarita for the return of the cable channel’s hit show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.”

Producers are looking for deserving families, hometown heroes and community leaders who don’t have the resources, ability or time to fix their own home and would benefit from a home renovation.

The selected family will receive a life-changing, complete home makeover.

Residents who think they, or their family, would be a great candidate, may apply at emhe.tv. They can also nominate a deserving family.

Submissions will need to include photos of the family and of their current residence. A two-minute video sharing the family’s story may also be uploaded.

The series is expected to air in 2020 and will be available on demand across all authenticated platforms and on the HGTV app.

1. Carole Grant says:

I have been disabled since 2002, when a drunk driver, three times over the legal limit crashed into me. My husband has been great, couldn’t walk for a year, my foot was crushed, my hand was crushed, my face had to be reconstructed and I have had at least 26 surgeries. I’ve worked hard and have learned to live with the pain.
    Now my husband found out, after 31 years with Nestle, they are getting rid of his position. We don’t think we will be able to afford our home, with two kids. Haven’t had the money to fix our home, we need to get it ready in case we need to sell it.
    Your consideration helping us, would be a dream come true.

2. Susan hollenbaugh says:

My family needs a fix up. My father has been sick and is in hospices my mom is 82 and cares for him. My brother moved in with them and has tried to retrofit the house, but all the jobs are half done. My house is 5 houses away and between work and being in the middle of a sandwich generation. I have trouble fixing up my house.

3. Sylvia Bentley says:

We want to get our backyard done but the city is coming down hard on us with fines and all. Which could be used for the backyard

4. Cheryl Campbell says:

My parents are deserving, please help!

5. Sylvia Bentley says:

I need to finish my backyard but the city keeps fining us. And that money could better be used for the backyard or little things ageing around the house.

6. Terri Sage says:

Please consider us! 16311 Vasquez Way Canyon Country Ca. 91390
    We got this house in a foreclosure. It was previously owned by a couple who got divorced. The wife purposely destroyed it . . . Very much like that movie, The War of the Roses”. We’ve fixed many things over the years, but realistically, it’s been an undertaking that is just beyond our ability. The house is huge! It has so much potential! Please consider us!

7. William Bessette says:

I have a CV two bedroom home in Shadow Pines. It is 950 sq ft. Only one of it’s kind in the whole area.I recently was remodeling my kitchen and making a open floor plan when I was injured in a motorcycle accident(rearended Z), and it has caused me to be laid up for a long while. Out of work did a number on me also. I dont usually ask anyone for help but Ivtruly need your help if possible. I worked for Studios 25 years, so I know the photocall. I’d love to have you stop by and see the house. It might be something vh your interested in doing on air. Please let me know if your interested.

8. Jeanette Prendiz says:

The day we got the keys to our home we lost our son to cancer then two months later I lost my father he had a massive heart attack since then we have been struggling we can’t afford to get us a swamp cooler or air conditioner I am the only one working and my husband is retired with very little income we have raised 5 of our grand children including the one who passed we adopted them all they are all grown up now it would be so nice if we can have help with just at least a air conditioner or swamp cooler as it gets very hot we also need a a few roof shingles I would be a great honor if we can get the help there is no way we can afford it on just are income we just make enough for the mortgage.

9. Caren Curren says:

I live on a fixed income and have a daughter who is a cancer survivor and her two children living with me. My daughter moved into my home to care for her father (my husband) when he became terminally ill. Since 2011 when he first entered sub acute care my home has suffered from lack of upkeep. Built in 1984, my home needs new windows, major cement repairs due to an overgrown tree I am unable to have removed, major repairs and painting of the stucco and trim on the exterior and new flooring due to a leaking dishwasher that I can’t afford to fix. The back yard landscaping all died due to the drought and water conservation penalties. It looks like a bombed out desert scene from a bad movie. I can’t afford to fix it. I need a major overhaul and “Extreme Home Edition” could save my home.

10. Bob Mirtich says:

My wife and I have been in our home for 35 years now and we have always wanted to fix up the den but don’t have a clue what to do with it. It has brick half way up the wall , a concrete floor , a wood stove and a vaulted ceiling, It has been the same since we moved in . The older we get it seems like nothing is ever going to change the way it looks!!! I keep telling My wife I’ll fix it up , but that excuse is not working anymore.

11. Elizabeth Hernandez says:

So we are very close to losing our home my mother has taken her 401 now she has nothing left we dont have enough money for rent because at least 3x a year there’s some major issue with the home for example water leaking and the rooms being completely trashed because of it. Everytime we have someone come and fix it we get ripped off they leave us with no money and the problem is still there my mom had her toe amputated and missed a year of work my father fell and broke his knee and was gone that same year living in a hospice. Hes home now and we need to make this home handicapped accessible because hes on oxygen, has dyalisis and can barley walk. My mom has no bed. Sleeps on a twin mattress om the floorsince thats I could afford .also we have alot of kids here and we have no front gate cars come flying by carelessly while they play.The pipe lines in this house for our water system arent even used anymore and alot of people have never even heard of it being used in homes. pretty soon we are going to have to re install different pipeline. My mom is being played less at work so we are now short even more money she works so hard for everything she has and she feel defected now that we are losing our home we have no where to go if we lose this home. I think this is a opportunity we need and hopefully we can get the help we need and she can’t be relieved and have her spirit lifted shes now has depression. Good luck to everyone God bless you.

12. Scott McLean says:

Please help us! Our family home is in such disarray! You would be able to redo our entire home inside and out. We have no HOA to stand in your way. Just another hard working family trying to live our best. Please come check out our home and see if it works for your show.

13. Linda Means says:

I am a retired teacher who recently divorced. My limited resources allowed me to purchase a small condo built in the 1980’s. I love having my own place but I would dearly love to be able to fix it up.

14. Martha Cruz says:

First of all thank you, we are a family of 10, my mom and dad have work very hard for us. My dad had a stroke in the 1990s he was disabled because he does hace the same movement in have of his body. Its hard to maintain their ranch. I’ll really like to tell you’re more. Again thank and hopefully we get lucky to make our parents dream come true.

15. Jim says:

my Friends mom needs her house fixed up so bad and this is her only chance and getting the renovations done please consider helping this family in need.

16. George Bozic says:

I realize this is everyone’s “play the violin” moment and there are some very worthy families out there that are in need of some much needed TLC. So with that, I send everyone my positive healing energy and blessings of love.
    If I may add our own “playing our violin” life and the wonderful producers of HGTV are willing to hear our story, here it goes…
    My wife and I have two young teenage girls and one young teenage boy. I could’ve just ended right there, but I’ll continue. My son was diagnosed with autism at age 3 and is non-verble. His needs has taken a toll on our families in every possible way you could think of due to his special needs and care. The majority of his services and or needs are typically out of pocket. My wife had to quit her job to attend to our son’s needs many years ago so I know that most Americans are month to month and that could be emotionally draining. Add a little non-verble autism to your daily routine with this month to month life, and things can get super heightened! Most parents divorce due to one person thinking they should go one way for treatment to the other so it’s very challenging to keep us together let alone our family!
    Grandpa used to live with us but is now in a home care facility suffering from Alzheimers so this is extremely difficult emotionally for my wife to go through as he now does not recognize his own daughter. I mentioned our teenage girls they are good kids, they just don’t get the amount of attention they deserve. We try to do improvements here or there after tax returns but we really need a lot of other things around the entire house that it’s just too expensive and things over the years falls apart. The “falls apart” is something that reminds us that any bad day we could have, could have us all individually just erupt of crossing the edge of being able to handle all of life’s challenges and curve balls. We have a two story house and may one day want to sell our house to prepare it for sale to buy a one story ranch style home, but are worried that so much work needs to be done, that we just can’t afford to do and are so busy with kids responsibilites and all of the other typical hustle and bustle. I am the only one barely able to provide with my family. It’s hard to build a nest egg and save when only one source of income goes in the bank and then immediately just goes right back out! Again there are so many families that are truly in need and we are no different. To say that this opportunity would impact our family for the positive would be an understatement. I can tell you that our family dynamics is a circus and we all love each other so much. We don’t want to get to that breaking point of challenges and your commitment to impact our family would be truly a life changing experience and this will be emotional and “good TV” to watch in any media format.
    We are truly grateful for your consideration and look forward to hearing from the loving producers at HGTV. By the way, my wife and I are HGTV fans and love all of the shows. I’ve always wished that someone from HGTV would find me at Lowes or Home Depot with a camera crew to say hey would you like for me to rip up your backyard to make your dream backyard or something like that! Anyhow thanks again and I am truly grateful for your consideration.

With gratitude,

George Bozic and family.

17. SCVNews.com says:

There is a link in the story for contacting the HGTV show. We don’t assume they are reading your comments on our website.

18. Jocelynn Ramos says:

My parents, mom and step dad began plans to renovate our home in Castaic. Recently my step dads father passed away suddenly which has taken a long break in the renovation process, he works full time to help support our family as does my mom who raised my sister and I almost on her own after her and my dad split up and he joined the navy so he was almost always away. My mom and step dad are both hard workers and give back any chance they get. This would be a great opportunity for someone to give back to them ❤️

19. Crystal La Joice says:

My parents bought their house 8 years ago with a plan to eventually redo the kitchen and open it up then redo the backyard by knocking down a useless wall. It is a beautiful simple house that they wanted to make their own. Things changed when I moved in and then had my son. Now priorities have changed and I thank my parents for the support they give us but they deserve the house they have always wanted. Every time we have tried to fix something it seems to be a bad decision. We got our lawn redone by someone who let the grass die before laying it down so our grass is still bad. Same with bad windows installed. I just want my parents to catch a break and give them their dream come true house for all of us to enjoy fully for years to come.

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Thursday, Apr 8, 2021
College of the Canyons will welcome José Rivera, award-winning playwright and the first Puerto Rican screenwriter to be nominated for an Oscar, to the School of Visual & Performing Arts’ Virtual Industry Insight Series on Monday, April 12.
Thursday, Apr 8, 2021
Santa Clarita Artists Association (SCAA) will spotlight contemporary artist Alex Schaeffer in a virtual oil demo on Monday, April 19, from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Thursday, Apr 8, 2021
Cassie Gratton knows how to open a Laemmle theater. The general manager of the Newhall Laemmle, which will open its doors with a ribbon-cutting this Friday, also helped to open Laemmle’s Glendale and Claremont locations.
Monday, Apr 5, 2021
Family fun and entertainment will continue at East Walker Ranch Open Space in May and June with showings of “Shrek” and “The Goonies” at City Cinemas.
Monday, Apr 5, 2021
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has reported 10 productions filming in the Santa Clarita Valley aka "Hollywood North" the week of Monday, April 5-11, 2021:
Garces statue
1987 - Ramona Chapel and Red Schoolhouse relocated to Heritage Junction [story]
Red Schoolhouse
1835 - Outlaw and Rocks/Park/High School namesake Tiburcio Vasquez born in Monterey, Calif. [story]
Tiburcio Vasquez
Nearly 100 people gathered in front of the highly anticipated Laemmle 7 in Newhall to officially open the theater to the Santa Clarita Valley community.
Laemmle Officially Opens in Old Town Newhall
The city of Santa Clarita Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission recently met to receive an update from city staff about the status of the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall.
Parks Commissioners Asked to Advise on Pioneer Oil Refinery’s Future
A judge’s ruling this week dealt a setback to the Tejon Ranch Co.’s proposed 19,000-unit Centennial development project in the upper northwest corner of Los Angeles County.
Judge Halts Centennial Development Project in Tejon Ranch
The California Community College Athletic Trainers Association has named longtime athletic trainer, and current College of the Canyons associate athletic director, Chad Peters its 2021 Athletic Trainer of the Year.
Chad Peters Named CCCATA 2021 Athletic Trainer of the Year
Los Angeles County Public Health on Friday confirmed 48 new deaths and 752 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 27,432 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday COVID-19 Roundup: 27,432 Total SCV Cases; County Nears 5 Million Administered Doses
The Santa Clarita City Council Legislative Committee briefly met Thursday morning to recommend that the City Council oppose four pieces of state legislation that would expand the state’s land-use authority.
Council Committee Recommends Opposition to State Land-Use Bills
In an effort to provide kids across the Santa Clarita Valley with a safe place to play and learn over spring break while parents are working, the Boys & Girls Club of SCV holds an annual camp.
Boys & Girls Club Holds Spring Break Camp
In recognition of public safety dispatchers' services, the California Highway Patrol joins other law enforcement agencies to recognize National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week on April 11-17, 2021.
CHP to Honor Public Safety Dispatchers During National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week
Officials in the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will be hosting a virtual community discussion on child abuse prevention April 20.
L.A. County Sheriffs to Host Child Abuse Prevention Seminar
1937 - Pioneer aviator E.B. Christopher and passenger killed in crash of light plane on Ridge Route near Gorman [story]
wreckage
CBRE announced the sale of a state-of-the-art 24,164 square-foot industrial facility to Tera McHugh and John McHugh, owners of Versatile Systems, Inc.
Valencia Industrial Building Sold to Versatile Systems
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and accompanying public health restrictions in place for large events and community gatherings, as well as past participation numbers, the city of Santa Clarita has evaluated several components of the annual Santa Clarita Marathon and is making a necessary change to the event.
City Postpones 2021 Marathon, Event Permanently Moved to February
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday 52 new deaths and 710 new cases of COVID-19, with 27,417 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Hospitalizations Remain Under 600; SCV Cases Total 27,417
Because of the economic downturn brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, some pet owners may have delayed purchasing their annual pet licenses and are now subject to late penalty fees.
Animal Care & Control Temporarily Waives Pet Licensing Fees
COC Virtual Industry Insight Series Welcomes Oscar-Nominated Screenwriter José Rivera
April 19: Virtual Oil Demo by Artist Alex Schaeffer
Spectrum Commercial Real Estate advisors Yair Haimoff, SIOR, Randy Cude, and Matt Sreden represented the seller in the sale of a 23,817-square-foot professional office building in a prime Valencia location.
Avenue Kearny Building Sells for $6 Million
Following stakeholder planning meetings over the course of a year and a public survey period in January, the city of Santa Clarita’s 2021 Local Hazard Mitigation Plan (LHMP) draft update enters the next phase in the approval and adoption process.
Residents Can Now Review Santa Clarita’s 2021 Hazard Mitigation Draft Plan
After Several Delays, Laemmle Newhall Opens Friday
The California Department of Transportation announced that new High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV, or carpool) lanes are open to motorists on Northbound and Southbound Interstate 5 between the Ventura Freeway (State Route 134) interchange in Los Angeles and Magnolia Boulevard in Burbank.
CalTrans Announces Opening of New I-5 Carpool Lanes