Mostly clear
Mostly clear

December 3
1887 - Prohibitionist Henry Needham purchases land in Newhall, attempts to establish "dry" colony [story]
H.C. Needham

Fire crews suppressed a 1.5-acre a brush fire caused by illegal fireworks in the 22600 block of La Rochelle Drive, near Pamplico Drive in Saugus.

The fire was reported at 6:39 p.m. and firefighters were on scene within five minutes.

Fire officials said they had drawn a line around the fire shortly after 7 p.m. Aircraft were released at 7:12 p.m. No structures were threatened.

fire070415

Photo: Kathy Wan

Photo: Kathy Wan

Photo: Tonya Waller Roach

Photo: Tonya Waller Roach

Photo: Anthony Aaron

Photo: Anthony Aaron

1. It’s going to be a long night with these idiots. Great job to our fire dept.

2. I have been dreading this day.

3. El Gabacho here it is!

4. Mike Weaver Mike Weaver says:

I hope who ever started that fire sees this post!!!

YOU ARE A F***ing idiot !!!

5. Sarah Raye Raza Andi Putnam Sheridan

6. We are in a 5 YEAR DROUGHT…..DOUCHER!

7. Thx Elsy Ramirez. People are stupid idiots

8. The helicopters were flying over our house. I can hear fireworks going off in our neighborhood right now!!! Where are the responsible adults???

9. A good chance that it is fireworks, but is that certain?

10. Elizabeth Miller Arnold……..me, too. Every single year (and on New Year’s Eve, too) there are just complete morons shooting off all kinds of stuff. Wish they could fine each and every one of these complete idiots!!!!

11. Liberty is a heavy responsibility.
    Using fireworks does not mean in-&-of-itself abusing fireworks.

12. Saw the helos coming up from the valley like they were on a mission. Good job guys!

13. Can someone give me a better idea where this is ? We are not home and trying to figure out how close this is.

14. Terri it’s across from Pamplico Park

15. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

thank you Fire Dept …Law Enforcement!!

16. Complete idiots every year setting off illegal fireworks – EVERY year- as if laws do not pertain to them – a fire was only a matter of time – knock it off!!!!

17. Terry Morse Terry Morse says:

And so it begins……

18. Anne Taylor Anne Taylor says:

God bless our fireman and women and emergency crews!

19. Andi Putnam Sheridan saw u were wondering

20. This guy is selling fireworks on SCV Buy swap sell

21. Linda Morgan Linda Morgan says:

I think I heard this going off. Was loud and long. Just happened to be outside.

22. It’s ok, his dad is a chp.

23. That’s a block from our house. It was pretty crazy here, for a bit.

24. Location is on Pamplico near Pamplico Park n Foster Elementary

25. IDIOTIC MOVE! People are just so dumb.

26. Janice Bongard Donyanavard

27. Jared Axen Jared Axen says:

Those kids need to be hurt and then sent to prison to serve time. I really hope they get the worst possible punishment for their age.

28. Dumb asses. Make them pay for the damage

29. Sheriffs are out big time tonight.

30. We live north of copper hill and could see the helicopters . One of our neighborhoods tried to set the hill by us on fire last night

31. There always has to be an idiot who starts a fire while breaking the law on the 4th.

32. There always has to be an idiot who starts a fire while breaking the law on the 4th.

33. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Yet more on the hillside tonight. They are going off now. Suggestions????

34. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Yet more on the hillside tonight. They are going off now. Suggestions????

35. It was not on Fenwall it was in the hills behind La Rochelle. It is out and contained now.

36. It was not on Fenwall it was in the hills behind La Rochelle. It is out and contained now.

37. Maybe the city should consider having a canyon country fireworks show?! Their is one in Valencia and Stevenson ranch. Why not canyon country? It is bigger than both those city’s put together. I’m sure it will eliminate illegal fireworks in canyon country.

38. Maybe the city should consider having a canyon country fireworks show?! Their is one in Valencia and Stevenson ranch. Why not canyon country? It is bigger than both those city’s put together. I’m sure it will eliminate illegal fireworks in canyon country.

39. There’s fireworks going off right above my house on Plum Canyon. Scaring the living hell out of my puppy

40. There’s fireworks going off right above my house on Plum Canyon. Scaring the living hell out of my puppy

41. I hope the sheriffs are going to be down off the 14 fwy at Sand Canyon watching all the arial fireworks going off so they are over here when the hills catch on fire. People are complete morons.

42. I hope the sheriffs are going to be down off the 14 fwy at Sand Canyon watching all the arial fireworks going off so they are over here when the hills catch on fire. People are complete morons.

43. Amy Harris Amy Harris says:

We have loud fireworks here in OOII. Also a small dog was found terrified in front of my home. We are still trying to find her home.

44. Ann Banks Dodson Amy Dodson Jefferson

45. Peter Temm Peter Temm says:

It be nice if the sheriffs department did their job. My dog sure would appreciate it

46. And still the fireworks continue !!

47. John Flanton Steve Layne

48. Kim Audet Kim Audet says:

Where I live.. It’s like being at the mall. The big loud illegal fireworks that go up in the sky are going off everywhere and not one helicopter or sheriff car..

49. I’m sure the sheriffs are out numbered!! I wouldn’t want to be them tonight.

50. Sean Cohen Sean Cohen says:

Kinda weird that if the govt does it its not illegal…

51. We were next door to where it happened. Idiots were standing on a roof shooting off fireworks. Ran like the cowards they are when the fire started. Pic was taken in first 5 min of blaze.

52. Excellent job by the fire crew!

53. Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

I can’t believe someone wished harm upon the people who did this. No structures were burned, we have firefighters for a reason. Everyone makes mistakes. Calling them idiots or morons does nothing but make a fool of yourself. I feel ashamed to live in a city where people talk so terribly about one another. Also if it is illegal for citizens to do it, it should be illegal for the corporations to do it as well. Not too long ago magic mountain set the hills on fire. Come on people. Learn to be humble.

• Marissa Leon Marissa Leon says:

Just because Firefighters are here to clean up the messes made by irresponsible, selfish people does not lessen the impact of what they did….no matter what you believe, they ARE selfish…they RISKED property damage, loss of homes and memories, and even potentially lives….all for a few minutes of fun….lets just hope they had the decency and integrity to be the first people to have called in the fire…a mistake is something that happens when you don’t intend it to and you don’t knowingly risk the possibility of a mistake happening….calling what they did a “mistake” is like saying someone driving drunk and hitting another car made a “mistake”

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

Are you saying you’ve never done a single irresponsible thing in your life? Should I call you out as a selfish individual, or an idiot because of it? No of course not. You should be ashamed.

• Marissa Leon Marissa Leon says:

What exactly should I be ashamed of? NoWhere did I say that I did not consider my irresponsible actions unselfish….perhaps I may be speaking from experience….perhaps I expect myself to keep to the basic expectations I hope others to have as well….I did no name-calling in my message to you so calling me an idiot would mean you’d be doing the very behavior you’re so ashamed to see others do

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

I never called you an idiot. I clearly asked a question, and not only that did I say “of course not”

• Marissa Leon Marissa Leon says:

Apologies…let me clarify what I meant to say….”I did no name-calling in my message to you so IF YOU CALLED me an idiot….” I did not believe you actually called me an idiot….I merely wanted to point out that your point was irrelevant because I never called you or anyone else an idiot

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

Apology accepted. How is my point irrelevant? It is directly related to the topic at hand. The only way it would be irrelevant is if it you were applying it to your own antics which are not. You’ve turned a heartfelt comment on how the people of this town talk so poorly of each other into a mindless endeavor of trying to better one another.

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

• Marissa Leon Marissa Leon says:

Mindless? Hardly….this is clearly a (mostly) healthy debate in differences in perspectives….I don’t see any level of competition between us…it was irrelevant because you asked ME if you should call me an idiot….if you had asked me “should I call anyone out as a selfish individual, or an idiot…” Then it would be relevant….for the record, it could be said that you’re speaking poorly of this town and not practicing what you preach when you said you’re ashamed of it….it could also be argued that your negativity is to a much larger scale because other people are only speaking of the tiny group of individuals who made the decision that lead to a fire; whereas, you speak of a whole city that you categorize as “shameful”….surely you can’t believe that 100% of our town’s population mirrors the behaviors you are so ashamed of

• Marissa Leon Marissa Leon says:

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

I don’t get it. You are contradicting yourself in so many ways. Practicing what you preach? Nearly everything you just said was directly or indirectly targeting me. Come on now.

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

“For the record” what a joke.

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

“For the record” what a joke.

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

And the towel has been thrown in by the miss contradiction 2k15. Congrats on being part of the issue.

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

• Carleen King Carleen King says:

I can’t believe you’re defending someone that could have caused horrific damage and chaos. Loss of lives and homes. Did you happen to be one of these idiots that did this

• Chris Smith Chris Smith says:

I’ll have you know that I was not one of them thank you very much. Calling these individuals idiots and shaming them is absurd. They could have caused damage, yes, but are you so ignorant as to dwell on that fact? Enough to start namecalling? You are like 55+ years old, not 12.

54. We live in Agua Dulce, adjacent to National forest. People were up in Rowher Flats setting off fireworks — how stupid is that? There isn’t a f-ing HOSE for miles. But, haha, saw the red/blue lights nailing them a few hours ago. I wouldn’t be so conventional, except for the dry conditions and the fact that I already lost one home to a wildfire here.

55. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

56. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

57. Annette Uthe says:

I was one of the 911 callers who was told that it had been reported. At the time we were at Pamplico and Seco. Seconds later a fire truck rounded the corner. By the time we got to Santa Clarita Elementary, another truck. At the light by Newhall Ranch Rd. yet another. Traveling over toward Canyon Country we saw a helicopter. It was such an inspiration to see how well organized the LACO Fire Department is in protecting us. A big thank you to them for what they do daily!

58. We are lucky, no fires here, but for some reason the where an amazing amount of illegal fireworks were being use all through the neighbor ….

59. Carly Joseph Carly Joseph says:

Got home around 11 pm and we can still here fireworks going off around Haskell Canyon. It’s dry and fireworks start fires. Don’t understand how people don’t get that.

60. John Crowell says:

they should legalize fireworks as they are a great expression of freedom. The government has taken away so much of our freedom already. We need the county to also start issuing ccw permits, as the 2nd amendment affords this right to us. Since SCOTUS feels they have the right to go above and beyond the constitution, approving fireworks and gun possession should be no problem.

Before everyone start getting upset, think of the tax revenue fireworks would bring to the county and state. I think you should have to buy a fireworks insurance policy from the fireworks vendor, however people are going to light them off no matter what, so all might as well benefit.

61. Definitely should not be lit off if you are in range of brush! But I’m okay with them if used carefully. Great way to celebrate freedom. I personally enjoyed them.

62. Definitely should not be lit off if you are in range of brush! But I’m okay with them if used carefully. Great way to celebrate freedom. I personally enjoyed them.

63. Chris Smith..he is an idiot. He has done this for years!!!!

• Terry went to get mom because she was evacuated for a time. Of course he couldn’t get onto La Rochelle and had to walk in. Scary stuff and for what? Some pinhead got to shoot his wad, beat his chest, and say wow big boom boom! October 2007 we lost 10 homes in my neighborhood due to the Buckweed fire that started 20 miles away by a kid playing with matches. He was a youngster this idiot was old enough to buy fireworks. Thanks again to our firefighters without them this could have been another major disaster. God bless you

64. Julie Hurst Julie Hurst says:

I grew up on La Rochelle. This makes me sad.

65. Julie Hurst Julie Hurst says:

I grew up on La Rochelle. This makes me sad.

66. Poor Mom hope she’s okay love and miss you guys !

67. Poor Mom hope she’s okay love and miss you guys !

68. I bet it did hugs and kisses

69. I bet it did hugs and kisses

70. There’s always one idiot!

71. There’s always one idiot!

72. No proof to arrest anyone

73. Karen Plat Karen Plat says:

Always some stupid person or persons

74. Karen Plat Karen Plat says:

Always some stupid person or persons

75. Carleen King Carleen King says:

One would think that shooting off firecrackers while we are in the process of a drought would not be a good idea. What the hell is wrong with people!?

Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Thursday COVID Roundup: First Case of Omicron Detected in L.A. County
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has received confirmation of its first case of COVID-19 with mutations consistent with the new Omicron variant (B.1.1.529).
Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Interstate 5 Improvement Project Breaks Ground in Santa Clarita
Metro Los Angeles celebrated the groundbreaking Wednesday for the I-5 North County Enhancements Project, which will improve the operations and safety of the I-5 freeway for motorists in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Learn How to Wrap Gifts Like a Pro Thanks to JCI Santa Clarita
Do you take the easy route with a bag and tissue paper because your wrapping job looks like a crumpled mess?

H.C. Needham
Thursday COVID Roundup: First Case of Omicron Detected in L.A. County
Andrew Ghassemi, senior vice president of Spectrum Commercial Real Estate, Inc., is pleased to announce the recent sale of a Class-A office building in Valencia.
Spectrum Real Estate Closes on $3.5M Sale of Valencia Office Building
Interstate 5 Improvement Project Breaks Ground in Santa Clarita
Learn How to Wrap Gifts Like a Pro Thanks to JCI Santa Clarita
Commercial driver’s licenses, learner’s permits, endorsements and special certificates expiring between March 2020 and February 2022, are automatically extended through Feb. 28, 2022, the California Department of Motor Vehicles announced Thursday.
DMV Extending Commercial Driver’s Licenses, Learner’s Permits
1972 - Five wounded in Vagos biker gang shooting at Curtis & JoAnne Darcy's Acton '49er Saloon [story]
Darcys 49er
We are in the home stretch of the holiday season. I hope you have made plans to safely celebrate with family and friends. I also want to encourage you to keep safety in mind when shopping for that perfect gift for your loved ones.
City Manager’s Monthly Message – December 2021
La Mesa Junior High 8th graders will soon be building water bottle rockets as part of their science program, thanks to funding from California Credit Union through its Fall 2021 Teacher Grant program.
La Mesa Teacher Wins Fall 2021 Teacher Grant
Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control is celebrating the 'Paw"lidays by offering the gift of a new furry friend.
Adoption Fees Waived Through End of the Year
Santa Clarita Artists Association is pleased to showcase an oil painting demo by Sharon Weaver on Feb. 21, 2022.
Artists Association Presents Oil Painting Showcase With Sharon Weaver
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station has once again begun collecting toys as part of the Annual Holiday Toy Drive.
Sheriff Station Seeks Donations For 2021 Holiday Toy Drive
The Santa Clarita Public Library turning the page towards a new month with events and programs for all to enjoy.
Adventure Awaits At Public Library This December
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Monday 18new deaths and 1,473 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 39,128 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID Roundup: Omicron Variant Detected in Northern California
Tune in for the premiere of the final episode and season 3 finale of SCVTV's music show -- Soundcheck -- showcasing the rock sounds of the dynamic duo Miss Britt & Woogie Wilcox, and acoustic stylings of CJ May in a live, on-location performance at the Rancho Camulos Museum that will be broadcast on all of SCVTV's platforms this Thursday.
Dec. 2: Soundcheck Presents Performances from Miss Britt & Woogie Wilcox, CJ May
It's December which means the return of the Santa Clarita International Film Festival's opening night is right around the corner.
Santa Clarita International Film Festival’s Opening Night Coming Soon
For years, the Santa Clarita Valley Education Foundation has provided support to community’s schools, teachers and students through literacy programs, events, scholarships, grants and more.
Ten Reasons to Support the SCV Education Foundation on Giving Tuesday
It has been a true honor and a pleasure to serve as the Mayor of Santa Clarita this year.
Santa Clarita Mayor’s Monthly Message – December 2021
The holidays are here and Santa Clarita transit is welcoming residents and visitors to join them on a Holiday Light Tour.
Take A Seasonal Journey On the Holiday Light Tour
1929 - Saugus train robber Thomas Vernon apprehended in Pawnee, Okla. [story]
Tom Vernon
Join the Valley Industry Association Friday, Dec. 17, at 11:45 a.m., for its 2022 Board Installation Luncheon.
Wilk to Preside Over VIA’s 2022 Board Installation Luncheon
The Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation combats animal cruelty by paying for officer training, equipment, and supplies to enforce animal cruelty laws, rescue abused and neglected animals, and support prosecution of animal abusers.
County Animal Care, Control Seeking ‘Giving Tuesday’ Donations
The William S. Hart Union High School District has been awarded the National Empowered Seal for its commitment to whole-child education by EVERFI.
EVERFI Awards Hart District National Empowered Seal