Mostly clear

December 6
1864 - Actor William S. Hart born in Newburgh, New York [Hart Index]
Wm. S. Hart

| Tuesday, Dec 30, 2014
Lancaster Woman Killed In 14 Freeway Crash Monday Night
Photo: Rick McClure

A Lancaster woman was killed in a single-car crash Monday night after she lost control of her car on southbound Highway 14.

The accident occurred at 9:31 p.m. north of Newhall Avenue, according to the California Highway Patrol report.

The 25-year-old woman was identified and her family has been notified but coroner’s officials could not release the woman’s name pending notification of her legal next of kin, said Capt. John Kades of the Los Angeles County Department of Coroner.

The woman was driving a 2003 Chevy and made an unsafe turn which cause her to lose control of the car, according to the CHP report. The car veered off the roadway, slammed into a guardrail, became airborne and then rolled several times, landing on it’s roof on a dirt embankment on the side of the road on Newhall Ave.

Both CHP and Los Angeles County Fire Department officials responded to the scene.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene.

This collision is still under investigation and drug or alcohol impairment are not believed to be a factor at this time, according to the CHP report.

1. Jayme Aliano Jayme Aliano says:

People need to slow down

2. Joe Brancato Joe Brancato says:

Drove past this really sad rip.

3. This explains the helicopters last night. My condolences the the family. So sad.

4. Rosie Romero Rosie Romero says:

Lucy Romero Porsche Jones

5. Cheryl Faye Cheryl Faye says:

hearbreaking….prayers up

6. Really sad. We know the family she left behind 2 young boys (2 & 5.) she was on her way to work in Valencia.

She wasn’t speeding. Sadly CHP believes she fell asleep.

7. I thought it was one of the numerous potholes all over town as well as the 14 fwy…what’s up with that ?

8. Nick Mills Nick Mills says:

Theres a car seat she has a baby that sucks bigtime for the kid

9. Diane Marie Contreras

10. Ashley Melissa Zetina

11. Diane Candelaria-Contreras

12. So sad to hear this :(

13. Sandra Avila Sandra Avila says:

Prayers to the family.

14. So sad, prayers to her family:( may God always be with them and heal their heavy hearts

15. Jah Triplett Jah Triplett says:

Dammm life is to short I’m sorry for your loss coach Terron Kelly Sr. Ur family in my prayers

16. Very sad prayers to her family

17. ShaNita Kelly rest easy we gone miss you

18. You’ll be miss ShaNita Kelly love you girlie your in heaven now.

19. For those of you who don’t know please do not speak thank you! She was not speeding!

20. RIP ShaNita Kelly my prayers to your sons and family

21. My sister. I can’t believe you’re gone.

22. Rest well beautiful, you will truly be missed

23. My heart is heavy and she is truly gonna be missed love you ShaNita Kelly

24. Melondy says:

She was my friend and I will miss her very much.

25. Im prayin for the family…si sad and unbelievable

26. RIP shanita Kelly my prayers go out to u an ur family

27. Thats so sad prayers to the family

28. Love and miss yuyu ShaNita Kelly W.I.P walk in paridise mommas love yu and we will meet again my friend, by the grace of God!

29. Javon Blkberry Miller

30. Christopher McIntosh Sr.

31. Rip Nita ..U will be so missed

32. R.I.P baby girl.. You will be missed…

33. yoshani helton says:

my prayers go out to shanita family & other friends we really will miss you luv.. You are a luving and bless person.. and we will see you again…

34. Im so sorry my.love goes out to the family

35. So sad prayers for the family

36. Rip baby girl. I love you sis! !!

37. Reva Ellison Reva Ellison says:

Many prays to her family god bless them at this trouble time amen

38. Crystal Live Crystal Live says:

Prayers go out to her family and friends

39. ashley lewis says:

SMH

40. Sending My Condolences To The Family, My Heart Goes Out To You Lil Cuzzin J.J. I’m Here Just a Phone Call Away, Love You!❤️

41. RIP, Love the Prevost Family.

42. Felicia G says:

Rest easy Babygirl you will never be forgotten! Your with God know!! Watch over us all Pls..

43. Is anyone going.to do a vigil for her. When and where

44. Young OG Young OG says:

All I see is shootings and accidents in lancaster. Watts goin on out there? Careless

45. Bless her heart. Poor thing this is so sad :( My condolences to the family. RIP Shanita

46. Prayers to her young boys and family. ..

47. Vina says:

R.I.P I still find this hard to believe

48. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

49. My deepest condolences to Terron Kelly Sr. and family.

50. tylisa harris says:

Rest in paradise shanita I love you

51. Sonya Blake says:

R.I.P. Shanita.
    MISS ME – BUT LET ME GO
    When I come to the end of the road
    And the sun has set for me
    I want no rites in a gloom-filled room.
    Why cry for a soul set free?
    Miss me a little–but not too long
    And not with your head bowed low.
    Remember the love that we once shared
    Miss me–but let me go.
    For this is a journey that we all must take
    And each must go alone. It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
    A step on the road to home.
    When you are lonely and sick of heart
    Go to the friends we know
    And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
    Miss Me – But Let me Go!

Author Unknown

See you on the other side. Cousin Sonya Fort Worth Texas

52. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

53. Quewee Cage Quewee Cage says:

RIP SHANITA KELLY. MY PRAYERS GO OUT TO YOUR FAMILY

54. CeeCee says:

Lovebug you will be missed and cherished!!! Enjoyed working with you and kicking it acting crazee and talking funnee mess!!! May God keep your family as they mourn and celebrate your life with them on earth and prepare them for your homegoing!!!

55. Rip prayers going up

56. O’ JESUS !! My prayers go out to the family!

57. Charlotte Taylor says:

My condolences goes out to the family

58. Prayers go out to the family.

59. Prayers go out to the family.

60. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

61. My son is hurting she was a friend of his. RIP dear girl.

62. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

63. So sad :-( her poor baby boys…

64. Rip I haven’t seen this girl in years but I prey for her family and her little bots that she left behind may you rest in peace angel and watch over your boys you will be missed truly

65. Ms. Sanders says:

See was not a single parent she has to boys by my cousin and the were very much together as a family… People really need to stop all the negative talk. My cousin just lost his father a couple of days before Christmas now this, it don’t matter what kind of turn she made when God calls you home it time to goooooo… People get shoot in they’re head and don’t die

66. Raye says:

omg rip to a fallen friend/ class mate truly an angle

67. RIP Shanita, watch over your boys and family as your loss is truly felt.

68. Soo Cali JB Soo Cali JB says:

Rip prayers for the Lil men an the family .. :(

• yung tay says:

Rest in peace baby girl god bless your family and friends much love to who ever lost a love one it not an easy thing to deal with

69. prayers going out to the family #RIP

70. This poor girl she was probly speeding and lost control may she rip

71. Chris Botros Chris Botros says:

I saw the car yesterday exiting the freeway I was going to work as well

72. Shanti Redus Shanti Redus says:

My entire soul hurts. Your family your kids I am so sorry this happen to you.

73. R.I.P BABY!! WE LOVE AND MISS U

74. Missy Virgo Missy Virgo says:

Rip prayers going up 2 family & friends

75. Lashon says:

This was my sis in law!!! Wonderful mother… Loving spouse and a great friend to a lot of ppl. Please have respect for the family and keep them in prayer #loveyanita

76. Rip, prayers going up for your family

77. Kisha Fowler says:

RIP Shanita Kelly it was a pleasure knowing you i am still in disbelief right now and to the family may god bless each and everyone of you with strength to deal with this tragedy.

78. Ashley Wiggins says:

I loved this women’s voice. She sung praises to God. Im sorry that her family has to go thru such a horrible thing. Im praying for you all and she’s with God resting in peace.

79. Damm R.I.P to the home girl Shanita

80. Didn’t know her but my prayers are with u and all the family how horrible may god be by all of ur sides love u all

81. keymona crawford says:

I am praying for the family and her kids please the family binb ur prayers.

82. Marina De La Rosa says:

you guys just pray for him ! This is not what Shanita would want to hear at all. If he thinks she was “not driving safe” let him only God and Shanita knows what happen that night ! She was not under any type of drugs or alcohol so that’s all that matters. He’s showing real ignorance so let him. Please
    Love you Nita

83. Sally T. says:

OMGoodness…
    It saddened me very much, when I read about this tragedy BUT even more so, when I reached the comments section.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of this such YOUNG, YOUNG lady. I’m very truly sorry for your loss. She was SOOO YOUNG…you have my deepest sympathy.

On a different note: (I’ve gotta say something)

Okay “Ms. People Need to Slow Down”.
    I will TRY to be nice, in respect to the young lady and all her loved ones.
    I do realize that maybe you’re trying to prove a point, but it’s a little inappropriate doing it here. Speeding wasn’t the issue and as for the “unsafe turn”, maybe there was no other way to make that turn. (read below)

Have you ever driven on that particular area of the 14 freeway?

-Its dark as F. (there are NO LIGHTS)
    -If raining, lanes become INVISIBLE – (lanes are hard to see since this area usually gets flooded (including on and off ramps))
    -If raining, vehicles seem to be more susceptible to hydroplaining in that particular area.
    -When there’s fog, that visibility IS GONE.
    -AND, Its dark as F!

—I am “almost” twice the age of this young lady and “I HAVE SLOWED TF DOWN”.

—I also drive the safest to my own ability, BUT I would drive much safer if that area had SOME KIND of lighting.

*Maybe that’s why cops choose this area to lurk around for their speed traps – BECAUSE IT IS DARK AS F AROUND THERE!!

84. Sally T. says:

My attention was distracted by my anger toward the “slow down comment”, and I do apologize for my tone in my previous comment.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, and my heart goes out to the young boys. They will be in my prayers.

Friday, Dec 3, 2021
City Invites Community to Central Park Buildout Groundbreaking
The Santa Clarita City Council will take a major step toward enhancing one of the city of Santa Clarita’s landmark amenities by holding a groundbreaking ceremony for the Central Park Buildout project on Monday, Dec. 6.
Friday, Dec 3, 2021
Friday COVID Roundup: Cases Among People Experiencing Homelessness Declines for 2nd Month in a Row
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health officials confirmed Friday 17 new deaths and 1,942 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 39,281 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday, Dec 3, 2021
Santa Clarita Community College District Board of Trustees Undergoing Redistricting
The Board of Trustees of the Santa Clarita Community College District is undergoing the redistricting process, and community members will have the opportunity to comment on revised trustee area boundaries at two upcoming public hearings.

1864 - Actor William S. Hart born in Newburgh, New York [Hart Index]
Wm. S. Hart
1938 - Supervisors award construction contract for jail at Wayside Farms in Castaic (later called Pitchess Detention Center). [story]
Wayside
1962- Actress and future Soledad Canyon big-cat rescuer Tippi Hedren, "Hitchcock's New Grace Kelly," makes cover of Look magazine for upcoming thriller, "The Birds" [story]
Tippi Hedren
City Invites Community to Central Park Buildout Groundbreaking
The city of Santa Clarita Planning Commission will hold its regular meeting Tuesday, Dec. 7 at 6:00 p.m.
Dec. 7: Planning Commission Regular Meeting
The first cohort of the College of the Canyons Low Observable Technician Pathway graduated on Nov. 23. 2021 at a special ceremony held at the college’s culinary arts center.
COC’s First Low Observable Technician Pathway Cohort Graduates
The California Highway Patrol joins the American Occupational Therapy Association in recognizing Dec. 6 through Dec. 10, 2021, as Older Driver Safety Awareness Week.
Dec. 6-10: 2021 Older Driver Safety Awareness Week
On Wednesday, Dec. 1, College of the Canyons held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Don Takeda Science Center, which is named in honor of longtime biology instructor Don Takeda, who retired in 2017.
COC Holds Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Don Takeda Science Center
To help ring in the holiday season, Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger hosted her annual party for foster youth served by the Department of Children and Family Services and their foster families at Six Flags Magic Mountain on Saturday, Dec. 4.
Supervisor Barger Hosts Annual Foster Youth Holiday Party at Six Flags
The Los Angeles County Lake Lifeguards begin the search for potential new lifeguard candidates with the Lake Lifeguard Test Saturday, Dec. 4 at the Castaic Aquatic Center.
Dec. 4: Lake Lifeguard Test Starts at the Castaic Aquatic Center
1887 - Prohibitionist Henry Needham purchases land in Newhall, attempts to establish "dry" colony [story]
H.C. Needham
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has received confirmation of its first case of COVID-19 with mutations consistent with the new Omicron variant (B.1.1.529).
Thursday COVID Roundup: First Case of Omicron Detected in L.A. County
Andrew Ghassemi, senior vice president of Spectrum Commercial Real Estate, Inc., is pleased to announce the recent sale of a Class-A office building in Valencia.
Spectrum Real Estate Closes on $3.5M Sale of Valencia Office Building
Metro Los Angeles celebrated the groundbreaking Wednesday for the I-5 North County Enhancements Project, which will improve the operations and safety of the I-5 freeway for motorists in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Interstate 5 Improvement Project Breaks Ground in Santa Clarita
Do you take the easy route with a bag and tissue paper because your wrapping job looks like a crumpled mess?
Learn How to Wrap Gifts Like a Pro Thanks to JCI Santa Clarita
Commercial driver’s licenses, learner’s permits, endorsements and special certificates expiring between March 2020 and February 2022, are automatically extended through Feb. 28, 2022, the California Department of Motor Vehicles announced Thursday.
DMV Extending Commercial Driver’s Licenses, Learner’s Permits
1972 - Five wounded in Vagos biker gang shooting at Curtis & JoAnne Darcy's Acton '49er Saloon [story]
Darcys 49er
We are in the home stretch of the holiday season. I hope you have made plans to safely celebrate with family and friends. I also want to encourage you to keep safety in mind when shopping for that perfect gift for your loved ones.
City Manager’s Monthly Message – December 2021
La Mesa Junior High 8th graders will soon be building water bottle rockets as part of their science program, thanks to funding from California Credit Union through its Fall 2021 Teacher Grant program.
La Mesa Teacher Wins Fall 2021 Teacher Grant
Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control is celebrating the 'Paw"lidays by offering the gift of a new furry friend.
Adoption Fees Waived Through End of the Year
Santa Clarita Artists Association is pleased to showcase an oil painting demo by Sharon Weaver on Feb. 21, 2022.
Artists Association Presents Oil Painting Showcase With Sharon Weaver