Partly sunny
Partly sunny

May 13
1825 - Town founder Henry Mayo Newhall born in Saugus, Mass. [read/watch]
Henry M. Newhall

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Apr 27, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I’m back in Cadiz, Ky., where my ex-wife is slowly succumbing to brain cancer. I hate that word: CANCER. I think all of us hate that word. At least with hospice and controlled pain medications she isn’t suffering. The quality of her life sucks, but now it is just a waiting game. Our prayers have been answered but not how we wanted. We know her cure is in Heaven not here on Earth. It still hurts to think about it. Tears are a part of my life every hour of every day.

Leave it to my hometown to provide some levity during this time in my life. Seems that folks are playing a little “dirty politics” back home. Gathering signatures for a petition to block the billboard deal with some folks at the sites where the signatures are being gathered trying to block folks from signing.

Isn’t America great? Some of those that are gathering the signatures are calling the others, “blockers.” There has even been a little shoving and pushing going on. The Sheriff’s Department has responded and some folks have been arrested. Wow. Paid political folks in our little valley. Seems like a new version of the old-time Western movies. Hired guns come in and try to take over.

Those that want to block the billboard deal seem to be angry that those trying are trying to block the petition to keep it from being voted on. Seems like a whole lot of free speech, paid and otherwise, is being used in this little fight. I’m just a little confused. Those that want to block the deal are petitioners. Those that want the deal to go through are now called “blockers.” Only in America.

So I guess another deal has grown from this. Our local Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival will now have a location where those folks that want to block the deal can gather signatures. How about a spot for those that like the deal? Equal time seems appropriate at this moment.

And by the time all y’all read this, the Festival will be almost over. Too bad. It is a festival of Western music and cowboy poetry with a whole bunch of local movie history. And now we add a bunch of local politics. Not good.

Can’t we have at least on event in our valley totally void of political overtones? I hear tell our city manager negotiated the deal to allow folks to collect signatures on the petition to block the deal at a spot in Melody Ranch. Did he check with Melody Ranch? Private property and all. What a tangled web.

I’m not sure if folks want to block the billboard deal because they don’t like it or because they don’t like the election results. Can’t figure this one. So far what I get is a bunch of sour grapes.

And then we get to another joke in the SCV. That joke is the opening date for Castaic High School. The date keeps moving to the right by weeks and then months and now years. When is the next Hart district election for the board? Sounds to me like we have to elect somebody who can decide something and stick with it. Someone that can lead a little. Where we going to find someone like that?

I’m tired. Just plain worn down and stove in. I’m helping my daughter-in-law care for Kathie and by the end of each day I’m an emotional and physical wreck. I want to thank the folks out west in my hometown for providing a few laughs. I need them right about now.

A couple of nights ago I was awakened by a good old Midwest thunderstorm with lots of lightning and thunder and rain. A regular torrential downpour. I bet more rain came down that night then all the rain we got in the last three months. Wish I could send it home. I really worry come fire season. (Or has fire season already started?).

Usually, during storms like the other night, Kathie would wake me up and ask me to check it the house had been hit by a bolt of lightning or the roof was leaking. She slept through it all. But I’m still trained. I got up and checked anyway.

You know it is those kinds of memories that make all the politics in the SCV and in our nation seem like just so much nothing. We seem to spend so much time being negative about something we hardly have time to find something positive.

I’ve found that positive this week. Not too late either. I’ve found the memories we share and today laugh about. Can’t get that from Congress or City Hall.

So relax a little, folks. Kick back and let that God of your understanding do the heavy work. Spend time with family and friends. Build memories of love and fun events.

And when it is time to part this Earth, we can smile at the good and the bad. We can say we were loved and did love. Our only tears will be those of joy.

Rest well, Kathie. I hope you are awake one more day to smile at us all.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. I’m sorry for what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

2. It’s very hard! I’m really sorry!

3. It’s very hard! I’m really sorry!

4. Kin Brenn Kin Brenn says:

prayer is useless you morons, get a grip on reality, sic of all this religious crapola!

5. Lifting you both in prayer. I know the feeling. I’m leaving for CA this week to see my childhood best friend with pancreatic cancer. Gonna be a hard trip back home.

6. Darryl and his family are in my prayers as I prepare for Cpwboy church at Masters College this morning. He should know that the blockers were offered equal access to the Cowboy Festival by the city. These petition organizations know each other and are used to playing the game. No one ever said that blockers should not have their right to petition-but they are being paid by Allvision the consultant to the MTA and that have a paid lobbyist registed with the city- Mr Arthur Sohikian. The blockers often harass and shadow the petitioners who are attempting to gather signatures under a very tight time limit.It remains to be seen whether Allvision will expense the blockers against the revenue stream from the billboard deal. IMHO-the people should not be expensed or charged for the blockers. SCVTV is the Pravda/PARS of the SCV and is not acting in the capacity of an honest news agent in this controversy.A significant portion of their revenue stream comes from local government agencies. Safe travels Darryl.

7. Teri Baxter Teri Baxter says:

You know I’m sending hugs and prayers…and if I could, I’d send some rain to CA too. ::hugs::

8. Linda Peters Linda Peters says:

Lovingly written, Darryl. Lovely.

9. Linda Peters Linda Peters says:

Lovingly written, Darryl. Lovely.

10. Bob Becker Bob Becker says:

Hey Kin, your personal beliefs about religion are ill-timed, insensitive and irrelevant! First, get some therapy! Next, read a book on manners. Then, the next time you get a thought, keep it to yourself!

11. Bob Becker Bob Becker says:

12. I am praying that God ends her suffering soon. And praying for you and your family.

13. The Lord comfort and strengthen and keep you and your loved one and loved ones.

14. I am so sorry. My uncle died from brain cancer. Prayers to the both of you.

15. If you don’t believe in God, fine. This is no forum to spout off about it. Some people do not have any filter, Darryl. I am praying for you, and going through this hell with you as my mom lays dying of that same disease-cancer. Godspeed, Darryl and Kathie, and if anyone is offended by my prayer, get a filter and stifle yourself.

16. I know what it is to be in this moment…my husband had the same thing…may your faith sustain you…prayers …

17. praying for you @this difficult time..

18. Linda Tah Linda Tah says:

Prayers for your loved ones

19. Alana Smith Alana Smith says:

I wouldn’t be smiling that big. Weird.

20. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Hey Kin prayers are not useless moron you are for making the comment you did you got a black heart.

21. So sorry, Darryl. Lifting you all up on prayer. God be with you.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, May 3, 2021
After months upon months of restrictions and shutdowns, we are now seeing more and more opportunities available. Here in Santa Clarita, several of the programs, activities and sports leagues that were put on pause to slow the spread of COVID-19 are once again being offered.
Monday, May 3, 2021
Our City has long been hailed as one of the safest in the nation. In fact, the City of Santa Clarita was recently named the 4th Safest City in America by SmartAsset.com when analyzing violent crime, property crime, vehicular mortality and more.
Friday, Apr 2, 2021
When the City put the Santa Clarita 2020 strategic plan in motion more than five years ago, we knew it was an ambitious undertaking.
Thursday, Apr 1, 2021
Last spring, the City Council heard the community’s call to step in and preserve the landmark Valencia Ice Station. After months of renovations and updates, the 93,000 square foot building is almost ready to welcome the community back - to the newly renamed The Cube.
Tuesday, Mar 16, 2021
We have now reached the one-year anniversary of the shutdown of society as we responded to the threat of COVID-19.
Tuesday, Mar 2, 2021
Picture this…the sun has just set on another brisk spring day.

1825 - Town founder Henry Mayo Newhall born in Saugus, Mass. [read/watch]
Henry M. Newhall
Six days a week, Santa Clarita Grocery opens its warehouse to people in need.
Local Shop Donates Leftover Bagels To Help Families
As part of the $100 billion California Comeback Plan, Governor Gavin Newsom announced a $20 billion to transform California public schools into gateways of equity and opportunity.
Newsom Announces $20 Billion Investment to Public Schools
The LA County Development Authority have extended the deadline to register for elderly family housing sites from June to the end of the year.
LACDA Extends Registration For Elderly Family Public Housing Sites, Including Valencia
Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, affirmed the recommendation by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration, FDA, to expand the emergency use authorization for the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine for adolescents 12 to 15 years of age.
Wednesday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Announces Vaccinations for 12-15 Year Olds; SCV Cases Total 27,814
Los Angeles County with PPE unite is giving small businesses 30 days of free PPE, to help these businesses stay open and operating during the Pandemic.
LA County To Assist Businesses With PPE
A troop of local Girl Scouts is set to host a silver-medal fundraiser for the Dorsey family this coming Saturday, pairing item donations with purchases at Firehouse Subs.
Girl Scouts To Hold Fundraiser For Dorsey Family
Los Angeles County received the fourth largest allocation of emergency housing vouchers for those in desperate need of housing assistance, the LA County Development Authority announced Wednesday.
LA County Receives Emergency Housing Vouchers
Two men accused of committing crimes in the Santa Clarita Valley were sentenced in court this week.
Man Accused Of Killing 6 In Gorman Crash Pleads No Contest; Man Sentenced For Child, Domestic Abuse
This year's College of the Canyons graduates will have the opportunity to celebrate offline with an in-person graduation experience.
College Of The Canyons Announces ‘Grad Walks’ Plans
A new independent record store, Gray Skull Vinyl, has opened in Canyon Country, where local music fans and collectors have suffered without one for years.
New Indie Record Store, Gray Skull Vinyl, Opens in Canyon Country
1958 - Juvenile probation Camp Joseph Scott opens at site of former New Era School in Bouquet Canyon [story]
Camp Joseph Scott
A Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputy injured in a severe crash last month was discharged from the Henry Mayo Newhall hospital on Tuesday, according to station officials
SCV Deputy Injured In Head-On Collision Leaves Hospital
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Tuesday 18 new deaths and 224 new cases of COVID-19, with 27,807 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Tuesday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Metrics Remain Stable; SCV Cases Total 27,807
The County of Los Angeles Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and Higher Ground Los Angeles are teaming up with Carry The Load, a nonprofit organization that originated to restore the true meaning of Memorial Day and now honors fallen service members, first responders, and their families.
County’s Military & Veterans Affairs Department Partners with Carry the Load
In response to an influx of illegal and increasingly dangerous fireworks, Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger sent letters to federal law enforcement agencies to ask for their help and collaboration to stop this alarming trend.
Barger Looks to Federal Agencies to Curb Rise in Illegal Fireworks
With summer and warmer temperatures around the corner, the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control reminds all pet owners to prepare for wildfire season.
Animal Care & Control Reminds Pet Owners to Prepare for Wildfire Season
Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley invites you to the 49th Annual Benefit Auction, Bubbles and Bids.
June 5: Virtual Bubbles and Bids Auction Benefiting Boys & Girls Club SCV
Two deputies that work closely with the Santa Clarita Valley community were recognized by Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger during a ceremony at the SCV Sheriff’s Station on Monday.
Barger Recognizes Two Santa Clarita Valley Deputies
One person has been taken into custody on suspicion of firing upon sheriff’s deputies with a pellet gun in Canyon Country on Monday.
One Suspect Taken Into Custody for Reportedly Shooting Deputies With Pellet Gun
1920 - Warrant issued for actor Tom Mix to appear in Newhall Judge J.F. Powell's courtroom on reckless driving charge [story]
Tom Mix
On Monday, Los Angeles County Public Health officials confirmed four new deaths and 179 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 27,798 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: County Reaches 24,000 Deaths; SCV Cases Total 27,798
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has reported 10 productions filming in the Santa Clarita Valley aka "Hollywood North" the week of Monday, May 10-16, 2021.
Filming This Week in SCV: ‘Good Trouble,’ ‘For All Mankind,’ ‘The Terminal List,’ 5 More Productions
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized emergency use of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children ages 12-15 Monday.
Children Age 12-15 OK’ed for COVID-19 Vaccine