Sunny
Sunny

August 11
2018 - Big Oaks Lodge in Bouquet Canyon burns down [video]
Big Oaks Lodge

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Apr 27, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I’m back in Cadiz, Ky., where my ex-wife is slowly succumbing to brain cancer. I hate that word: CANCER. I think all of us hate that word. At least with hospice and controlled pain medications she isn’t suffering. The quality of her life sucks, but now it is just a waiting game. Our prayers have been answered but not how we wanted. We know her cure is in Heaven not here on Earth. It still hurts to think about it. Tears are a part of my life every hour of every day.

Leave it to my hometown to provide some levity during this time in my life. Seems that folks are playing a little “dirty politics” back home. Gathering signatures for a petition to block the billboard deal with some folks at the sites where the signatures are being gathered trying to block folks from signing.

Isn’t America great? Some of those that are gathering the signatures are calling the others, “blockers.” There has even been a little shoving and pushing going on. The Sheriff’s Department has responded and some folks have been arrested. Wow. Paid political folks in our little valley. Seems like a new version of the old-time Western movies. Hired guns come in and try to take over.

Those that want to block the billboard deal seem to be angry that those trying are trying to block the petition to keep it from being voted on. Seems like a whole lot of free speech, paid and otherwise, is being used in this little fight. I’m just a little confused. Those that want to block the deal are petitioners. Those that want the deal to go through are now called “blockers.” Only in America.

So I guess another deal has grown from this. Our local Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival will now have a location where those folks that want to block the deal can gather signatures. How about a spot for those that like the deal? Equal time seems appropriate at this moment.

And by the time all y’all read this, the Festival will be almost over. Too bad. It is a festival of Western music and cowboy poetry with a whole bunch of local movie history. And now we add a bunch of local politics. Not good.

Can’t we have at least on event in our valley totally void of political overtones? I hear tell our city manager negotiated the deal to allow folks to collect signatures on the petition to block the deal at a spot in Melody Ranch. Did he check with Melody Ranch? Private property and all. What a tangled web.

I’m not sure if folks want to block the billboard deal because they don’t like it or because they don’t like the election results. Can’t figure this one. So far what I get is a bunch of sour grapes.

And then we get to another joke in the SCV. That joke is the opening date for Castaic High School. The date keeps moving to the right by weeks and then months and now years. When is the next Hart district election for the board? Sounds to me like we have to elect somebody who can decide something and stick with it. Someone that can lead a little. Where we going to find someone like that?

I’m tired. Just plain worn down and stove in. I’m helping my daughter-in-law care for Kathie and by the end of each day I’m an emotional and physical wreck. I want to thank the folks out west in my hometown for providing a few laughs. I need them right about now.

A couple of nights ago I was awakened by a good old Midwest thunderstorm with lots of lightning and thunder and rain. A regular torrential downpour. I bet more rain came down that night then all the rain we got in the last three months. Wish I could send it home. I really worry come fire season. (Or has fire season already started?).

Usually, during storms like the other night, Kathie would wake me up and ask me to check it the house had been hit by a bolt of lightning or the roof was leaking. She slept through it all. But I’m still trained. I got up and checked anyway.

You know it is those kinds of memories that make all the politics in the SCV and in our nation seem like just so much nothing. We seem to spend so much time being negative about something we hardly have time to find something positive.

I’ve found that positive this week. Not too late either. I’ve found the memories we share and today laugh about. Can’t get that from Congress or City Hall.

So relax a little, folks. Kick back and let that God of your understanding do the heavy work. Spend time with family and friends. Build memories of love and fun events.

And when it is time to part this Earth, we can smile at the good and the bad. We can say we were loved and did love. Our only tears will be those of joy.

Rest well, Kathie. I hope you are awake one more day to smile at us all.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. I’m sorry for what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers.

2. It’s very hard! I’m really sorry!

3. It’s very hard! I’m really sorry!

4. Kin Brenn Kin Brenn says:

prayer is useless you morons, get a grip on reality, sic of all this religious crapola!

5. Lifting you both in prayer. I know the feeling. I’m leaving for CA this week to see my childhood best friend with pancreatic cancer. Gonna be a hard trip back home.

6. Darryl and his family are in my prayers as I prepare for Cpwboy church at Masters College this morning. He should know that the blockers were offered equal access to the Cowboy Festival by the city. These petition organizations know each other and are used to playing the game. No one ever said that blockers should not have their right to petition-but they are being paid by Allvision the consultant to the MTA and that have a paid lobbyist registed with the city- Mr Arthur Sohikian. The blockers often harass and shadow the petitioners who are attempting to gather signatures under a very tight time limit.It remains to be seen whether Allvision will expense the blockers against the revenue stream from the billboard deal. IMHO-the people should not be expensed or charged for the blockers. SCVTV is the Pravda/PARS of the SCV and is not acting in the capacity of an honest news agent in this controversy.A significant portion of their revenue stream comes from local government agencies. Safe travels Darryl.

7. Teri Baxter Teri Baxter says:

You know I’m sending hugs and prayers…and if I could, I’d send some rain to CA too. ::hugs::

8. Linda Peters Linda Peters says:

Lovingly written, Darryl. Lovely.

9. Linda Peters Linda Peters says:

Lovingly written, Darryl. Lovely.

10. Bob Becker Bob Becker says:

Hey Kin, your personal beliefs about religion are ill-timed, insensitive and irrelevant! First, get some therapy! Next, read a book on manners. Then, the next time you get a thought, keep it to yourself!

11. Bob Becker Bob Becker says:

12. I am praying that God ends her suffering soon. And praying for you and your family.

13. The Lord comfort and strengthen and keep you and your loved one and loved ones.

14. I am so sorry. My uncle died from brain cancer. Prayers to the both of you.

15. If you don’t believe in God, fine. This is no forum to spout off about it. Some people do not have any filter, Darryl. I am praying for you, and going through this hell with you as my mom lays dying of that same disease-cancer. Godspeed, Darryl and Kathie, and if anyone is offended by my prayer, get a filter and stifle yourself.

16. I know what it is to be in this moment…my husband had the same thing…may your faith sustain you…prayers …

17. praying for you @this difficult time..

18. Linda Tah Linda Tah says:

Prayers for your loved ones

19. Alana Smith Alana Smith says:

I wouldn’t be smiling that big. Weird.

20. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Hey Kin prayers are not useless moron you are for making the comment you did you got a black heart.

21. So sorry, Darryl. Lifting you all up on prayer. God be with you.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Friday, Aug 5, 2022
While we are in the middle of the long, hot days of summer, what better way to beat the heat than go to The Cube – Ice and Entertainment Center?
Tuesday, Aug 2, 2022
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger issued the following statement following the Board of Supervisors’ final approval of a November ballot measure giving the Board authority to remove a publicly elected sheriff from office for cause.
Tuesday, Aug 2, 2022
Unfortunately, our beautiful city is no stranger to the threat of wildfires.
Monday, Aug 1, 2022
Dear Community Members, Wow its August. That is crazy!
Monday, Aug 1, 2022
Grab your lawn chairs and picnic blankets and plan to spend your summer nights at Central Park.
Friday, Jul 29, 2022
It was another great year for filming in Santa Clarita!

2018 - Big Oaks Lodge in Bouquet Canyon burns down [video]
Big Oaks Lodge
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health cautions residents who are planning to visit the below Los Angeles County beaches to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in ocean waters:
Ocean Water Use Warning for Los Angeles County Beaches
The Michael Hoefflin Foundation is starting two tasty ways to support the non-profit's efforts Friday August 12.
Aug 12: Two Fundraisers To Support Michael Hoefflin Foundation
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 19 new deaths throughout L.A. County, 4,514 new cases countywide and 92 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID Roundup: County Reports Two Additional Deaths For SCV
During the upcoming Aug 9. meeting, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors are set to proclaim this August as Student Debt Awareness Month.
County To Proclaim Aug. 2022 Student Loan Debt Awareness Month
Valley Industry Association is planning their next Bash, as they honor businesses of distinction.
Nov 4: VIA Midnight In Morocco Celebrates Local Businesses
The SCVEDC would like to congratulate everyone who made this years list of most influential leaders in the region, including our their President & CEO, Holly Schroeder.
Valley 200 List Recognizes SCVEDC BOD Members, CEO
The city of Santa Clarita welcomes residents to dispose of their used tires at the free tire collection event on Saturday, Aug. 27 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Aug 27: Santa Clarita to Host Free Tire Collection Event
1769 - Fr. Juan Crespi, en route to San Francisco Bay with the Portolá expedition, names the Santa Clara River Valley (SCV) for St. Clare [story]
Fr. Crespi cenotaph
Lila Littlejohn, a veteran journalist, journalism teacher and former editor of The Signal, died Sunday morning peacefully in her sleep at her home in Florida, according to family.
Former Signal Editor Lila Littlejohn Dies at 68
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 13 new deaths throughout L.A. County, 2,335 new cases countywide and 53 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Tuesday COVID Roundup: County Cases Decline to 2,335 with 13 New Deaths
On Tuesday, Aug. 9, the county of Los Angeles Board of Supervisors approved a resolution placing the Cannabis Tax Measure on the Nov. 8, 2022 election ballot for approval by voters.
Supes Approve Cannabis Tax Measure for November Election
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency has extended the deadline to apply for appointment to fill a vacancy on the Board of Directors.
Deadline Extended by SCV Water to Fill Board Vacancy, Applicants Sought
Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley celebrates Women in Film with the "Lundafest 2022" screening on Thursday, Oct. 6 at the Canyon Theater Guild in Newhall.
Oct. 6: Zonta Club of SCV Presents ‘Lunafest’
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital is hosting “Let’s Get Back to Screening!” a symposium for medical professionals and members of the public that will focus on the importance of early cancer detection.
Sept. 10: Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital to Host Cancer Screening Symposium
Residents throughout the city of Santa Clarita regularly take advantage of the miles of paved off-street trails available for walking, running and cycling safely without having to worry about the hazards posed by vehicle traffic.
Aug. 24: Residents Invited to Public Meeting for Bouquet Canyon Trail Project
The Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District has confirmed 28 additional mosquito samples that tested positive for West Nile virus.
Vector Control Confirms 28 Additional Positive West Nile Virus Samples
Head Coach Annett Davis could not have asked for a better schedule in terms of preparing The Master's University women's volleyball team for the challenges posed by the Golden State Athletic Conference and, hopefully, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics nationals.
TMU Women’s Volleyball To Face Road Tests Early in 2022
California Credit Union encourages Santa Clarita Valley teachers who have an innovative class project idea to apply for a credit union grant through its biannual Teacher Grant program.
SCV Teachers Urged to Apply for California Credit Union Teacher Grants
Single Mothers Outreach has announced “Building Hope” as the theme for the 12th annual Empowering HeArts fundraising gala, set to take place on 6 p.m. Oct. 28 at the Santa Clarita Community Center.
Oct. 28: Single Mothers Outreach 12th Annual Empowering HeArts Gala
1919 - Charles Kingsburry (Kingsburry House at Heritage Junction) arrives in Newhall to work on Power House No. 1 construction in San Francisquito Canyon [story]
Charles Kingsburry
Raising the Curtain Foundation invites all Santa Clarita Valley students in grades 4-6 to participate in a free theater workshop on Saturday, Oct. 15, at the Newhall Family Theatre for the Performing Arts.
Raising the Curtain Hosting Free Theater Workshop for Local Students
The California State University, Northridge Softball team will host the first Gary Torgeson Golf Tournament Saturday, Sept. 3, at Los Robles Golf Course in Thousand Oaks.
CSUN Softball Hosting Inaugural Gary Torgeson Golf Tournament
The Master's University has hired Dave Caldwell as its next sports information director.
TMU Names Dave Caldwell New Sports Information Director