On Thursday, Oct. 17, at 10:17 a.m., join millions of Californians in the Great California ShakeOut.
ShakeOuts are earthquake preparedness drills that remind us what we need to do when the earth begins to shake. The drill is also an opportunity for the community to review emergency preparedness plans and supplies.
Remember these simple steps and practice them with your family and friends: Drop, Cover and Hold on!
DROP where you are, onto your hands and knees. This position protects you from being knocked down and also allows you to stay low and crawl to shelter if nearby.
COVER your head and neck with one arm and hand.
- If a sturdy table or desk is nearby, crawl underneath it for shelter
- If no shelter is nearby, crawl next to an interior wall (away from windows)
- Stay on your knees; bend over to protect vital organs
HOLD ON until shaking stops.
- Under shelter: hold on to it with one hand; be ready to move with your shelter if it shifts
- No shelter: hold on to your head and neck with both arms and hands.
What You Can Do to Prepare Now
- Secure your Space
- Make a Plan
- Organize Disaster Supplies
- Minimize Financial Hardships
- Stay Informed and Connected
Learn more: shakeout.org/california/