header image

[Sign Up Now] to Receive Our FREE Daily SCVTV-SCVNews Digest by E-Mail

Inside
Weather


 
Calendar
Today in
S.C.V. History
April 4
1893 - Large earthquake centered in Pico Canyon; locals believed oil drilling caused it [story]
map


By Martin Macias Jr. and Nathan Solis

The Los Angeles public school teachers’ union rejected the district’s latest labor contract offer Friday after a fruitless bargaining session ended, and walked off the job Monday morning.

Rain fell on more than 30,000 Los Angeles Unified School District educators as they picketed and marched outside classrooms and schools Monday, the first day of a strike demanding class size reductions, more social workers and librarians and better pay for teachers at the nation’s second-largest public school district.

It is the first LA teachers strike in 30 years.

District officials said in a statement Friday that its revised offer, centered on a $130 million budget increase for the upcoming school year, would add 1,200 more educators, nurses and librarians to schools and reduce class size by two students in all middle and high schools.

The district statement, which had previously proposed a $105 million increase and 6 percent salary increase plus back pay for 2018, added that it wants to avoid a strike but can’t afford the contract demands from United Teachers Los Angeles.

“UTLA’s contract demands have remained essentially unchanged since April 2017, and those demands would bankrupt Los Angeles Unified,” the district said, adding that the union refuses to continue negotiations and hasn’t proposed a counteroffer.

But UTLA President Alex Caputo-Pearl said at a press conference Friday that the district’s latest offer won’t end the strike threat since its only valid for one year.

The union wants the district to use its $1.8 billion reserve to reduce class sizes, add nurses to every school campus and cap the amount of public dollars that benefit charter schools across the district.

The district hasn’t answered requests for key reports backing up figures for the latest offer, but the union would be receptive of any district proposal from now until Monday if it is “demonstrably different,” Caputo-Pearl said.

Barring anything short of a surprise from the district, Caputo-Pearl urged teachers and their allies to “get ready because come Monday, we will be on strike.”

In a statement, the district said it was disappointed by the union’s rejection.

“More than 48 hours remain until Monday when UTLA plans to strike, and we implore UTLA to reconsider,” the statement said. “A strike will harm the students, families and communities we serve, and we have a responsibility to resolve the situation without a strike.”

More than 30,000 public school teachers are expected to join the picket lines en masse across the city Monday, the first time since 1989 that educators in Los Angeles have done so.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, who has offered to mediate negotiations or provide neutral space to both parties, said in a statement that he was disappointed by Friday’s bargaining result.

“I am disappointed that today’s discussions have ended and I strongly urge both parties to consider returning to the negotiating table for talks over the weekend for the sake of our children, our teachers, and our schools,” the mayor said, adding that city resources would be extended to families during the strike.

The city will extend hours for 32 public recreation centers and libraries that will also provide lunch and adult supervision to students until the union reaches an agreement with the district. Parents must sign up to access the programs.

With more than 700,000 students across 10,000 schools affected by the strike, Garcetti said that public transit systems will also provide free transportation from 5 a.m. to 7 p.m. to students who show their school IDs.

LAUSD Superintendent Austin Beutner said at a press conference earlier in the day that the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has offered to use $10 million in county funds to ensure that all public schools have nurses on campus five days a week.

“If the $10 million is there now, it will be there in three weeks after we resolve the disputes here,” Caputo-Pearl said.

The district’s revised offer was backed by news that Gov. Gavin Newsom’s proposed 2019-20 budget would include a $3 billion increase in statewide funding for public education.

“This impasse is disrupting the lives of too many kids and their families,” Newsome said in a statement Monday. “I strongly urge all parties to go back to the negotiating table and find an immediate path forward that puts kids back into classrooms and provides parents certainty.

“Last week, I submitted a budget to the Legislature that would make the largest ever investment in K through 12 education, help pay down billions in school district pension debt and provide substantial new funding for special education and early education,” Newsom said.

“The budget also makes substantial additional investments in counties and providers by supporting children experiencing mental illness and investing in homelessness services — all of which can translate into additional services and support for children served by LAUSD,” he said.

Though Beutner said he didn’t know how much of that money would be allocated for the district, Caputo-Pearl said Friday that California state budget office staffers have told him that the district would receive $140 million.

No negotiations were set for the weekend.

On Monday morning outside Benjamin Franklin High School, several students and teachers marched in the rain wearing rain slickers and ponchos and holding picket signs. Other students watched from inside the campus and took photos with their mobile phones.

Junior Abraham Merino, 16, said conditions in his classes are getting worse.

“Classes are getting packed,” Merino said. “In some classes there are desks lined to the wall. I’m out here for my education but my teachers deserve better. Us students deserve better.”

Monica Whalen, who teaches AP government at the high school, said about 90 percent of the school’s faculty walked out Monday. She said there is only one social worker for the school on top of counselors, but there are many issues students face – including homelessness, food uncertainty and other problems – students could discuss with more resources.

“With their status a lot of students are scared and they need a lot of support,” said Whalen. “There is only one social worker for the whole school. But it’s not enough.”

Outside Aldama Elementary School, third grade teacher Danis Cybulski said school funding gaps have deprived students of basic services. Aldama’s school nurse is only on campus twice a week and the librarian is on site every other week, Cybulski said.

“We’d like [a nurse] here every day,” Cybulski said. “Being K thru 5, [we teach] foundational reading. We need librarians and for kids to have access to books.”

The school’s psychologist, who is shared with another school, is typically on site only once a week and balances a massive caseload between both campuses, Cybulski added while taking cover from the rain under a canopy.

Cybulski, who called the district’s negotiating “shady and back-handed,” said she joined the picket line at 6 a.m. She noticed only a few district-hired substitute teachers on campus as most respected the picket line and did not enter the school.

Meanwhile in south Los Angeles, parent Tiffany Gardner, 33, joined the picket line with teachers on Monday.

Gardner’s 10-year-old son Isaiah was born with a chromosome abnormality and has a full-time nurse while he is at school. After being home-schooled for four years, Isaiah started fifth grade at 74th Street Elementary School but Gardner said the school was unprepared for her son’s needs and services.

“The school didn’t know what to do with him,” Gardner said.

Isaiah uses a program on an iPad to communicate with faculty, but Gardner said staff waited for almost a year for the device to arrive and were eventually locked out due to an error.

During a press conference leading up to the strike, LAUSD Superintendent Austin Beutner said, “There are ways to educate kids that don’t rely on a physical body.” But Gardner said the district’s reliance on computers to teach students does not fill her with confidence.

She also bristled at the school asking whether she would send her son to school during the strike.

“Of course, I can’t send him,” Gardner said. “I don’t want the teachers to be out of class, but I also know at the same time if students are sitting in those seats the district is being paid. My only way to fight is with empty seats.”

Comment On This Story
COMMENT POLICY: We welcome comments from individuals and businesses. All comments are moderated. Comments are subject to rejection if they are vulgar, combative, or in poor taste.
REAL NAMES ONLY: All posters must use their real individual or business name. This applies equally to Twitter account holders who use a nickname.

1 Comment

  1. Jeanne says:

    Too many students in each class the teachers say. Maybe too many undocumented kids?

    The teachers are also trying to get rid of school choice that parents have to send kids to Charter schools.

    Liberal policies coming home to roost.

Leave a Comment


SCV NewsBreak
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Stream TypeLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00
 
1x
LOCAL NEWS HEADLINES
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
April 26: SCV Family History, Genealogy Fair
The Santa Clarita Valley Family History & Genealogy Fair, an annual free genealogy fair hosted by the Valencia FamilySearch Center, will be held on Saturday, April 26, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
April 11: Deadline to Vote in Best of California State Parks Poll Nears
California State Park enthusiasts from across the state have nominated their favorite state parks, and now it’s time to decide. State Parks has gathered the top nominations, and now it is time for you to determine the Best of California’s State Parks.
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
Travel the World in 2025 with the Celebrate Passport
Explore the world by traveling to the Canyon Country Community Center for the Celebrate event series. Experience different customs and cultures, no plane ticket needed.
Keep Up With Our Facebook

Latest Additions to SCVNews.com
The Santa Clarita Valley Family History & Genealogy Fair, an annual free genealogy fair hosted by the Valencia FamilySearch Center, will be held on Saturday, April 26, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
April 26: SCV Family History, Genealogy Fair
The Los Angeles County Treasurer and Tax Collector reminds Santa Clarita Valley residents that the second installment of the 2024-25 Annual Secured Property Taxes becomes delinquent if not paid by Thursday, April 10.
April 10: Second Half of L.A. County Property Taxes Due
The 52nd Annual Frontier Toyota Henry Mayo Golf Classic will host a $20 per ball Helicopter Golf Ball Drop at 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 10 at Valencia Country Club.
May 10: Frontier Toyota Henry Mayo Golf Classic Golf Ball Drop
California State Park enthusiasts from across the state have nominated their favorite state parks, and now it’s time to decide. State Parks has gathered the top nominations, and now it is time for you to determine the Best of California’s State Parks.
April 11: Deadline to Vote in Best of California State Parks Poll Nears
Residents wanting to wear their Santa Clarita pride can now shop online at the city of Santa Clarita City Store. The store offers a variety of city-branded merchandise options, including t-shirts, hoodies, hats, totes and more.
Santa Clarita Opens Online Merchandise Store
Explore the world by traveling to the Canyon Country Community Center for the Celebrate event series. Experience different customs and cultures, no plane ticket needed.
Travel the World in 2025 with the Celebrate Passport
After three successful years guiding the Teton Ranch Conservancy, Executive Director Jaron Cramer will be stepping down from his position effective Friday, April 18.
Tejon Ranch Conservancy Leadership Transition Announced
The Santa Clarita City Council will meet in open session on Tuesday, April 8 at City Hall to consider sending a letter, signed by all city council members, to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors regarding Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy vacancies and encouraging the board to make investments in enhancing LASD retention and strengthening recruitment efforts.
April 8: City Council to Discuss Letter on LASD Vacancies to County Supes
1893 - Large earthquake centered in Pico Canyon; locals believed oil drilling caused it [story]
map
California State University, Northridge’s Department of Theatre will host Native Voices, the only professional theatre company in the United States devoted to bringing Indigenous playwrights, 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 7, to perform “To Indigeneity and Beyond!”
April 7: Native Voices to Perform at CSUN
The William S. Hart Union High School District has announced that Anthony Eslao, a senior at Golden Valley High School, has been awarded the distinguished California Scholarship Federation Seymour Award. Additionally, Matthew Thomas De Guzman, also from Golden Valley, has been recognized as a Seymour Award finalist.
Golden Valley Student Wins CSF Seymour Award
Assemblywoman Pilar Schiavo’s bill, D-Chatsworth, the Expediting State Housing Permits Act (AB 301) was passed as part of a major package of housing legislation aimed at tackling the state’s housing crisis.
Schiavo Joins Forces with Rivas to Expedite Housing Development
The Department of Water Resources conducted the all-important April snow survey on Wednesday, April 2, the fourth measurement of the season at Phillips Station.
DWR April Snow Survey Shows California at 110% of Average
The Santa Clarita Master Chorale invites you to an elegant evening of wine, dinner and song atthe annual Cabaret & Cabernet benefit “The Beat Goes On,” on Saturday, April 26, 5 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Valencia.
April  26: ‘The Beat Goes On’ Master Chorale Cabaret & Cabernet Benefit
Visit the Santa Clarita Public Library Valencia branch, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 8 for a "Alice's Looking Glass" crafting session.
April 8: ‘Alice’s Looking Glass’ Craft Session at Valencia Library
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce for a Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting at Monarch Beauty Academy, Thursday, April 24 at 4 p.m.
April 24: Monarch Beauty Academy Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting
For the third year in a row, The Master's University's basketball player Kaleb Lowery has been named an NAIA All-American, this time on the First Team.
Lowery Named First Team All-American
Lief Labs, a premier formulation and product development innovator and manufacturer of dietary supplements, has announced the launch of its 2025 Brand Boost Guide which offers tips, guidance and resources to support dietary supplement brands in identifying potential sales growth and risk management strategies.
Lief Labs Launches 2025 Brand Boost Guide
The Master's University men's volleyball team completed the sweep of its old rival with a 25-11, 25-21, 25-19 controlling of the Arizona Christian Firestorm Saturday afternoon, March 29 in Glendale, Arizona.
Mustangs Complete Sweep on Arizona Trip
Arbor Day is more than just a celebration, it’s a commitment to our future. Every year, communities across the world come together to plant trees, promote environmental stewardship and enhance the landscapes that make our cities and towns more beautiful and livable.
Jason Gibbs | Celebrate Arbor Day in Santa Clarita
April 30 will be the final day for submitting comments regarding the updating of Los Angeles County Floodplain Management.
April 30: Deadline for Comments on Floodplain Management
Among several important issues presented at its Tuesday, April 8 regular board meeting, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will hear recommendations on establishing a unified permitting authority for the Altadena One-Stop Recovery Permitting Center relating to properties impacted by the Eaton Fire.
April 8: Supes to Consider Altadena One-Stop Recovery Permitting Center
1917 - Castaic post office established inside Sam Parson's general store [story]
General Store
April is National Distracted Driving Awareness Month, a nationwide initiative that highlights the dangers of distracted driving and promotes safer driving habits.
April 7-14: CHP MEP for National Distracted Driving Awareness Month
SCVNews.com