Los Angeles County Sheriff’s detectives are investigating a sexual assault accusation involving two Santa Clarita Valley students, said Sgt Brian Hudson of the Special Victims Bureau.
In a letter to Hart district officials, the parents of the female victim allege their daughter, an eighth-grader at Arroyo Seco Junior High, was assaulted by another student Monday while walking home from the bus stop.
The letter alleges that the boy, who is not identified, “grabbed her from behind, groped her and then put her in a headlock.”
“This morning is the first the district was made aware of this allegation by this student,” said Gail Pinsker, a Hart district spokeswoman. “We take allegations of this nature very seriously, and students will be disciplined appropriately based on guidelines set forth by Education Code.”
The letter continues on to ask why the boy has not been expelled from Arroyo Seco and requests “a response outlining what you plan to do about this abhorrent and dangerous situation.”
“The boy in question is not currently attending school,” Pinsker said. “The allegation is under investigation. All students are afforded due process under the law.”
In the letter, the victim’s parents refer to “numerous complaints to the administration at Arroyo Seco about this student fondling girls’ breasts at school,” but district officials have no record of prior incidents involving the student.
“In review, our department of student services has determined that the alleged perpetrator has not ever been previously brought to the attention of anyone at the district office,” Pinsker said.
“The district is now in contact with the mom of the alleged female victim,” she continued. “The safety and health of students and staff are our No. 1 priority.”
No additional information is currently being released by district officials due to student privacy concerns.