Sunny
Sunny

December 14
1931 - Season's first major storm deposits 9 inches of snow in Newhall, 10 in Saugus [story]

sheriffpatch

Los Angeles Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau detectives are investigating a murder that occurred in Canyon Country Friday night.

An adult male was found with multiple stab wounds in the 18100 block of Sundowner Way around 10:45 p.m. by the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s station when they learned of a “possible stabbing victim,” according to a news release.

Upon their arrival they discovered the victim lying on the ground, in the open, with multiple stab wounds to his upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A preliminary investigation suggests the incident may be gang related. The suspect and weapon are still “outstanding.”

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. If you prefer to provide information anonymously, you may call “Crime Stoppers” by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477), or texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or by using the website htt://lacrimestoppers.org.

187_011014Original story by Carl Goldman, Saturday 1:30am

[KHTS] – Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies reported a stabbing death in Canyon Country on Friday night at 10:45 p.m.

Sheriff’s Homicide detectives were investigating the death of a male adult in the 18100 block of Sundowner Way.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. There is no additional information at this time.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

1. Susi Veltri Susi Veltri says:

No wonder a friend and I always say we live in the projects. I’ve always thought that Santa Clarita as a whole was a safe city. Yes, there are crimes. Yes, there are gangs, drugs, killings, you name it. It just makes me sad to hear/see/read about such things so close to where my home is.

2. It was in the American Beauty condo’s which is a step above the projects.

They SHOULD still be the Canyon Country Little League fields.

• sunshine says:

You must be a low life renter as we have many professionals living in American Beauty. This murder did no occur here.

3. Austin Enzen Austin Enzen says:

Can we get a description of the suspect(s)

4. SCVTV Santa Clarita, PLEASE keep us updated on this story. If the previous comment is true then we need to know the motive and description of suspects. This turns my stomach.

5. Andrea Crews Andrea Crews says:

Thank you god for getting us out of there 3 years ago. It’s bad in that area. My kids saw drug deals out of apartment windows. We broke our lease and moved. They are still trying to sue me for that. Let them. My children’s safety is more important.

6. hady j says:

It’s sad to hear a crime like that happened in canyon country. it’s probably the result of a bad drug deal…. However this could have happened anywhere in Santa clarita. If you don’t think this happens in valencia , Stevenson ranch , Sherman Oaks,studio city, Brentwood and Santa Monica … think again . It happens everywhere…. no place is exempt . It’s the new society of drugs alcohol depression and anger that causes that kind of hate and out of control behavior

7. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

Yes places u live have crimes but SCV is getting to be bad. Its getting bad since I moved out of the area.

8. Witnessed says:

I saw someone mention it might have been suicide. It happened behind my home we were the ones who called 911. I tried to help him. It was in no way suicide. We were planning on moving this year, closer to the middle of town and now that is guaranteed.

9. Witnessed says:

It is very sad how fast this area has declined

10. My brother lives right around the corner from this. Got worried and called him to make sure he was alive. Thanks for posting this article!

11. Wow. :/ so sad. No. I guess I don’t feel so safe after all.

12. Witnessed says:

Theses condos are not the projects, a lot of good home owners live here. It is unfortunate that the some of the people who rent here just seem to be getting worst. I make good money and so do a lot of people who bought here thinking it was nice. Now most can’t sell because they owe more than they are worth.

• sunshine says:

These are not projects and I live here. It is the fault of some owners renting to low life people who in turn bring in low life.

• sunshine says:

You are absolutely right, the problem is with the low life renters.

• Anonymous says:

Good morning to you all, Let’s start by giving thanks to God for letting us all still be here and don’t be so critical of an incident that got on the news about one location unfortunately crime is everywhere as citizens we can all report suspicious activities to prevent our city, apartment complex or condominium community to become part of the statistics I’m a local REALTOR that understands your frustration but let’s all work together to keep our city clean of crime. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SELLING UNDER WATER CONDOS CALL ME http://Www.angelzrealty.com

13. I wish they would post a name. Scv sure has changed

14. I hope the guy they have detained in front of Diamond Park Apartments relates to this. They are not giving us any information. Most of Sundowner is blocked off and we can’t get in or out . And no I am not section 8 most of us aren’t.

15. Andrea Crews Andrea Crews says:

That’s where I lived. Diamond park. Don’t ever move there!!!!!!

16. @Andrea same! We broke our lease do the smell of pot because of the people below us. We have seen shootings and fights enough on top of living with the smell of pot. Our baby was getting ill b/c of the smoke leaking from the shared vents. Something needs to be done about that area.

17. Any city that grows has more crime valencia has a ton of crime along witb castaic, saugus etc. They reported this on sundowner which is not the american beauty cindos. Sundowner runs behind the baxkwoods so does anyone know where it really was? Condos in sh or apts on sundowner?

18. Sundowner is the very back of it.

19. It is Sundowner …the back road behind it that runs along the wall for Diamond Park. They have most of W. Sundowner blocked off too.

20. Unfortunately, it is Canyon Oaks (aka: Ametican Beauty). It is on the backside of the development, the one really bad street that is a thorn in the side of the rest of the development. I don’t know who picks these tenants but one bad one moves out just for another to be let in.

Debbie Edmiston is right, most people here are not Section 8, but with so many foreclosures the bank & HOA had to do something to protect their investment (and that of the other owners/tenants) so they opened some rentals up as S8 to increase revenue. Remember: a vacant unit attracts trouble, too.

Some of the Section 8 people are perfectly nice, some of the non-section 8 on that street are pretty nasty. Millionaires are just as capable of crime as the poor are capable of living law abiding lives.

That said, coroner is still onsite and the cops won’t even tell us if this was random or targeted.

• sunshine says:

Section 8nshouldnnot live in condos with luxurious surroundings. They should be sent to Palmdale or a less desirable surrounding. Our taxes are supporting these people.

21. Crystal Gentry says:

Yes…it’s everywhere now. But mainly it’s because the downtown cities are pushing all the gangs/criminals into the suburbs with their inflation rates on rent/leases/etc. Santa Clarita (used) to be safe….but because it’s so close to LA and SFV it’s easier than say…Palmdale. I hope SCV detectives find these murderers and pay for the life they took away.

22. Not all of CC is bad .. I live on Hillfield & Sierra (by elks) & I love it here nice & quiet. So sad about this man & ABs prayers for his family

23. Everyone saying Santa Clarita is getting bad is off base and doesn’t really know what they are talking about. Sure there are tiny pockets in Santa Clarita that have some issues such as areas in Canyon Country, Newhall…but as a whole Santa Clarita is still extremely safe. No matter where you go you will always have some areas where crime happens, and Santa Clarita is no different. But compared to so many other places SCV is safe. And yes I used to live in the Park Sierra apartments off of Jakes Way so I realize there are some crime issues over there.

24. How could this happen in “Awesome Town” where awesome lives? I expect these things in my neck of the woods-

25. Jim Oge Jr Jim Oge Jr says:

No the crime is rising in Scv look at the reports. Including the drugs.

26. Greg says:

I live here and most of us are homeowners that live here because it is what we can afford. I apologize to to those who can afford to live in mello-roos taxed neighborhoods but if you look at the average income for families in Santa Clarita, then you will see that most of us can’t. Does this mean that we don’t desire for our families to be safe and feel secure? We want peace and prosperity as much as anyone else. Hopefully this is a wake up call to the HOA and Sheriff’s dept. According to our HOA budget we pay $140,000 a year for armed private security, but I rarely see them. The deputies tend to come to take reports then go patrol elsewhere. I have never seen deputies get out of their cars and do a footbeat. They should make a better effort to meet with the homeowners and build a rapport with the community.

It is my studied opinion that the problems I have seen around the condos is not the result of the homeowners but a problem with the renters. The hood has definitely been creeping into the area and they aren ‘t buying their way in. Unfortunately, most homeowners, including myself, rather just keep our heads down and not see or know too much. We are just working like crazy to get to our house in a gated community.

27. How close is that to you?

28. It’s where we used to live next to the Mobil home park

29. Mario D. says:

Let me clarify things for every one this was not a suicide this was “murder”. I know I was there. I currently live in American Beauty on Sundowner Pl. I saw it happened right in front of my bedroom window. I and one of my neighbors were the first to witness the body. It was dark and I could not tell if he was breathing. My other neighbor from below where I live gave me a flash light and when I pointed at the body he was on the floor lifeless with blood all over the floor. I believe he also had a head wound from when he fell because there was stuff coming out of his head. So this was murder, and I hope the Sheriff catch the people who did it.

30. Mario D. says:

Also I do apologize if my comment is strong or graphic. My prayers go to the mans family and I hope that justice is served.

31. sunshine says:

It doesn’t matter where you live as Valencia and Stevenson Ranch have murders and crime. These condos are not considered American Beauty. The American Beauty where I live were selling close to $400,000 before the drop. Now they are going up in price. We have many professional people living here, including myself. There are teachers, nurses and many other professions. I would like to see many undesirable renters, but you have landlords who rent to anyone. I feel very safe in my condo which is very quiet and we can call security at any time and they respond.

32. Do they know who the victim was yet

33. Anonymous says:

Anyone can get a loan for those condos

• sunshine says:

You are full of crap as not everyone can not get a loan to live here. Low life renters can not get a loan or they would be buying. Furthermore, banks are very particular who buys today as they don’t want another group of foreclosures on their hands. You have to have excellent credit and a long lasting to buy today.

34. i.d says:

It’s been two days since the murder happened here at Sundowner and I’m sitting here reading this comments. It is sad to hear that people think just because people rent on this condos they are the result of crime. No let me tell you that I have seen so many bad persons jumping off the wall that separates Sundowner from Diamond Park Appts. Unfortunately Diamond Park along with other complexes such as Jakes Way, Sand Canyon appt are letting people with Section 8 moving into our community. I am not trying to be racist or prejudice but if you come back from work like around 4 or 5 in the afternoon you will see a lot of this people walking and jumping back and forward from Dimond Park complex to our side being loud and always being so Ghetto. They think by walking in their little groups and just because they give you a dirty look you are suppose to be afraid of them. This people are the results of our community changing. We do have honest people renting and living honestly in our condos but most of our crimes are the result of this people in section 8 moving into our neighborhoods.

35. Witnessed says:

It is rediculous, I am sad to say that the area has declined. The above comment is so true, it is the trash that jumps over the wall along with the trash that they come to visit that are the problem. Not the decent family people who live here. We live here mind our own business take our kids swimming, walk our dogs (and pick up after our dogs) go to work and come home. But you have trash that walk around like bullies and let there animals crap everywhere, and since they don’t have jobs they have lots of time to cause problems. God forbid they spend their free time going and apply for jobs. Instead they bring the area down with their uncontrollable teens who are leaches to the life blood of society.

36. sunshine says:

If you think Canyon Country is so bad
    Go live in Beverly Hills,as they had five murders in 2013 with many rapes and robberies.

37. J gon says:

Yes it’s all that trash from diamond park apartments they broke in to my car last Sunday and my ipad and lap top was stolen from my car also my job keys and work paper I will give a reward to anybody that could give me information I don’t want anything back I just want justice.

38. sunshine says:

it is no doubt renters as most people who have an investment in the property have pride in ownership, except for slum lords who buy to rent and rent to anyone,

39. I.D says:

Just to let other people know that in order to rent a condo from Sundowner or American Beauty they will make a credit check and also they want to make sure that you have a decent job and that your kids are good in school. This is the proper way to have an invetesment in order to have a good retirement. So lets make sure not critise owners who rent their properties to descent families. As on ther hand we should make sure that Diamond Park should ask for families that have teenagers that their school grades are good because that would tell you what kind of education they have.

40. I.D says:

Also if anyone from our H.O.A is reading this articles please have your security staff to patrol more often on Sundowner Way. You know where that famous wall is located at, the only thing that separates us from those people. I want to feel safe when I come back from work and when my kids are coming back from school.

41. sonia says:

its those dame BEANERS! GOD I HATE THEM

Thursday, Dec 14, 2017
Local School Collecting Clothes, Toys for Creek Fire Victims
Castaic Elementary School is collecting gently used children's clothing and toys for the victims of the Creek Fire in Sylmar.
Thursday, Dec 14, 2017
Becerra Condemns FCC’s Net Neutrality Ruling
SACRAMENTO – California Attorney General Xavier Becerra issued the following statement in response to the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) decision to repeal net neutrality rules instituted in 2015. These rules protect consumers' access to online content without interference or manipulation by an internet service provider:
Wednesday, Dec 13, 2017
LASD, CHP Join ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ DUI Campaign
The Sheriff’s Department and CHP will participate in a special year-end "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" enforcement campaign from December 15 through January 1.

Local School Collecting Clothes, Toys for Creek Fire Victims
Becerra Condemns FCC’s Net Neutrality Ruling
LASD, CHP Join ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ DUI Campaign
The Caribbean is back, better than ever, and Valencia-based Princess Cruises is offering the best fares of the season during the “Exclusively Caribbean Sale,” on 7-, 8-, 10-, 14-day sailings departing February through April 2018.
Princess Cruises ‘Exclusively Caribbean Sale’ Offers Season’s Best Fares
Designer and animator Jamie Tan (Film/Video BFA 15) started baking cakes and fancy French pastries as a meditative practice to help her balance the 20 credit semesters she was taking as a student at CalArts.
Jamie Tan on Art, Baking for Rojas’ ‘Theater of Disappearance’
CalArts School of Critical Studies faculty Janet Sarbanes recently received a grant from The Creative Capital | Andy Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program for her essay "Reframing the House of Dust: A Meditation in Many Parts."
CalArts’ Janet Sarbanes Wins Writers Grant from Creative Capital
Artist and CalArts alumna Carrie Mae Weems (Art BFA 81) concludes her year-long residency at New York’s Park Avenue Armory with a day-long convening of artists, writers, poets, musicians and social theorists on Sunday, Dec. 17.
Dec. 17: Weems Wraps Year-Long NYC Residency
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan was named winner of the 2017 Electoral Ergonomy Award at the International Electoral Awards on December 5 in Dead Sea, Jordan.
LA County Registrar-Clerk Wins International Electoral Award
The CSUN women's basketball team looks to extend its winning streak to four when the Matadors return home to face the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks on Monday, December 18.
Dec. 18: CSUN Women’s Basketball Team Goes for 4
Sport fishing permits for 2018 are now on sale from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Sport Fishing Licenses for 2018 Now on Sale
The National Weather Service has issued a Red Flag Warning for the Santa Clarita Valley and other areas of Los Angeles, Ventura and Santa Barbara counties through Friday morning.
Critical Fire Conditions in SCV Though Friday
Steve Gerischer, proprietor of Larkspur Garden Design, will simplify the art of rose pruning and share tips on keeping your roses flourishing at the next installment of CSUN's CSUN-al Gardening series on Saturday, Jan. 13.
CSUN-al Gardening to Tackle the Prickly Topic of Pruning Roses
The Master’s University profiles 2017 men's basketball star Brock Gardner.
TMU Basketball’s Brock Gardner – Tough Decisions, Terrific Transfer
The list of Daktronics-NAIA Scholar-Athletes, released recently, was backloaded with four athletes from The Master’s University.
4 TMU Men’s Soccer Players Named NAIA Scholar-Athletes
During October, 15 junior high and high school campuses in Santa Clarita hosted a toiletries drive as part of their annual DFY in SCV community campaign.
DFY in SCV Students Help Others in Need
SCV Sheriff's Station deputies are still looking for two men who allegedly stole a wallet from a woman shopping in a local market, and posted images from surveillance video seeking the public's help to identify and locate the men.
Deputies Still Seek Suspects in Theft of Shopper’s Wallet
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra and 17 other attorneys general have called on the Trump Administration to respect the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s independence.
AG’s File Brief Backing Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission's next Regular Meeting is set for Thursday, Dec. 14 at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.
Dec. 14: Santa Clarita Arts Commission Regular Meeting
The city of Santa Clarita's Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission will hold its next Regular Meeting on Thursday, Dec. 14, at 3:30 p.m.
Dec. 14: Parks, Recreation, Community Services Regular Meeting
The nonprofit WiSH Education Foundation is out to raise $100,000 to fund improvements in Hart District school libraries.
WiSH Foundation Seeks Funds for Hart District Libraries
Valencia resident Kyanna Isaacson, 26, fulfills her dream of owning a Jersey Mike’s Subs restaurant today, and opens with a free sub fundraiser to benefit the nonprofit WiSH Education Foundation.
Valencia Resident Opens Her Own Jersey Mike’s Sub Shop
1900 - Automobile Club of Southern California founded; first car in SCV appeared 1902 [story]
The City Council named Laurene Weste the new mayor of Santa Clarita Tuesday night.
Laurene Weste Named Mayor for Fifth Time
Paris, Amsterdam, Sydney – Unibail-Rodamco SE (“Unibail-Rodamco”) and Westfield Corporation (“Westfield”) announced Tuesday that Unibail- Rodamco has entered into an agreement to acquire Westfield to create the world’s premier developer and operator of flagship shopping destinations (the “Group”).
French Real Estate Firm Buys Westfield in $16-Billion Deal
NORTHRIDGE, Calif.—CSUN's Channon Fluker was named Madness National Mid-Major Women's Basketball Player of the Week Dec. 11.
CSUN’s Fluker Named Player of the Week
​LOS ANGELES, CA Trammell Crow Company (TCC) and Clarion Partners have begun construction on The Center at Needham Ranch, a 54-acre, state-of-the-art industrial business park in Santa Clarita.
Construction Underway at Needham Ranch
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - Attendees of California State University, Northridge's Matador Athletics events will be able to purchase beer and wine at home games beginning Jan. 6, 2018 with the start of the Men's and Women's Basketball Big West Conference season.
Beer, Wine Will Soon be Available at CSUN Home Games
A 2-acre brush fire, dubbed the Copper Fire, ignited shortly 4:35 p.m. on the 29100 block of West Hills Drive, according to a tweet from the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Forward Progress Stopped on 2-Acre West Hills Fire
How do we close the graduation gap? How do we ensure students have the resources they need to succeed academically? Those are questions people in higher education — including at California State University, Northridge — have been grappling with for decades.
CSUN Department Changing Way Students are Served After Data Sheds Some Light
Offering more than 150 itineraries to popular bucket-list destinations all over the world, Princess Cruises has earned top honors for its cruise vacation itineraries in the Cruise Critic Annual Editors’ Picks Awards.
Industry Experts Award Princess Cruises “Best Itineraries”
As it wraps up 2017 and looks forward to 2018, the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce announced eight new additions to its board of directors next year.
Chamber Announces 2018 Board of Directors
Continuing more than a decade of Christmas tradition, Faith Community Church will host the 12th Annual “Festividad for Christ” Christmas celebration for its neighbors in Newhall.
Dec. 16: Annual ‘Festividad for Christ’ Christmas Celebration
With New Year’s Eve just a few weeks away, the city of Santa Clarita is offering a cash reward up to $500, in the hopes that someone will come forth with valuable information that may lead to the citation(s) of the person or persons responsible for illegal firework activity in the City.
City to Offer Cash in Exchange for Tips on Illegal Firework Activity