Clear
Clear

October 22
1898 - Birth of Mary S. Ruiz, eldest child of Enrique & Rosaria Ruiz of San Francisquito Canyon; all died in 1928 dam disaster [cemetery census]

sheriffpatch

Los Angeles Sheriff’s Homicide Bureau detectives are investigating a murder that occurred in Canyon Country Friday night.

An adult male was found with multiple stab wounds in the 18100 block of Sundowner Way around 10:45 p.m. by the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s station when they learned of a “possible stabbing victim,” according to a news release.

Upon their arrival they discovered the victim lying on the ground, in the open, with multiple stab wounds to his upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A preliminary investigation suggests the incident may be gang related. The suspect and weapon are still “outstanding.”

Anyone with information about this incident is encouraged to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. If you prefer to provide information anonymously, you may call “Crime Stoppers” by dialing (800) 222-TIPS (8477), or texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or by using the website htt://lacrimestoppers.org.

187_011014Original story by Carl Goldman, Saturday 1:30am

[KHTS] – Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputies reported a stabbing death in Canyon Country on Friday night at 10:45 p.m.

Sheriff’s Homicide detectives were investigating the death of a male adult in the 18100 block of Sundowner Way.

The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. There is no additional information at this time.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500.

1. Susi Veltri Susi Veltri says:

No wonder a friend and I always say we live in the projects. I’ve always thought that Santa Clarita as a whole was a safe city. Yes, there are crimes. Yes, there are gangs, drugs, killings, you name it. It just makes me sad to hear/see/read about such things so close to where my home is.

2. It was in the American Beauty condo’s which is a step above the projects.

They SHOULD still be the Canyon Country Little League fields.

• sunshine says:

You must be a low life renter as we have many professionals living in American Beauty. This murder did no occur here.

3. Austin Enzen Austin Enzen says:

Can we get a description of the suspect(s)

4. SCVTV Santa Clarita, PLEASE keep us updated on this story. If the previous comment is true then we need to know the motive and description of suspects. This turns my stomach.

5. Andrea Crews Andrea Crews says:

Thank you god for getting us out of there 3 years ago. It’s bad in that area. My kids saw drug deals out of apartment windows. We broke our lease and moved. They are still trying to sue me for that. Let them. My children’s safety is more important.

6. hady j says:

It’s sad to hear a crime like that happened in canyon country. it’s probably the result of a bad drug deal…. However this could have happened anywhere in Santa clarita. If you don’t think this happens in valencia , Stevenson ranch , Sherman Oaks,studio city, Brentwood and Santa Monica … think again . It happens everywhere…. no place is exempt . It’s the new society of drugs alcohol depression and anger that causes that kind of hate and out of control behavior

7. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

Yes places u live have crimes but SCV is getting to be bad. Its getting bad since I moved out of the area.

8. Witnessed says:

I saw someone mention it might have been suicide. It happened behind my home we were the ones who called 911. I tried to help him. It was in no way suicide. We were planning on moving this year, closer to the middle of town and now that is guaranteed.

9. Witnessed says:

It is very sad how fast this area has declined

10. My brother lives right around the corner from this. Got worried and called him to make sure he was alive. Thanks for posting this article!

11. Wow. :/ so sad. No. I guess I don’t feel so safe after all.

12. Witnessed says:

Theses condos are not the projects, a lot of good home owners live here. It is unfortunate that the some of the people who rent here just seem to be getting worst. I make good money and so do a lot of people who bought here thinking it was nice. Now most can’t sell because they owe more than they are worth.

• sunshine says:

These are not projects and I live here. It is the fault of some owners renting to low life people who in turn bring in low life.

• sunshine says:

You are absolutely right, the problem is with the low life renters.

• Anonymous says:

Good morning to you all, Let’s start by giving thanks to God for letting us all still be here and don’t be so critical of an incident that got on the news about one location unfortunately crime is everywhere as citizens we can all report suspicious activities to prevent our city, apartment complex or condominium community to become part of the statistics I’m a local REALTOR that understands your frustration but let’s all work together to keep our city clean of crime. ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT SELLING UNDER WATER CONDOS CALL ME http://Www.angelzrealty.com

13. I wish they would post a name. Scv sure has changed

14. I hope the guy they have detained in front of Diamond Park Apartments relates to this. They are not giving us any information. Most of Sundowner is blocked off and we can’t get in or out . And no I am not section 8 most of us aren’t.

15. Andrea Crews Andrea Crews says:

That’s where I lived. Diamond park. Don’t ever move there!!!!!!

16. @Andrea same! We broke our lease do the smell of pot because of the people below us. We have seen shootings and fights enough on top of living with the smell of pot. Our baby was getting ill b/c of the smoke leaking from the shared vents. Something needs to be done about that area.

17. Any city that grows has more crime valencia has a ton of crime along witb castaic, saugus etc. They reported this on sundowner which is not the american beauty cindos. Sundowner runs behind the baxkwoods so does anyone know where it really was? Condos in sh or apts on sundowner?

18. Sundowner is the very back of it.

19. It is Sundowner …the back road behind it that runs along the wall for Diamond Park. They have most of W. Sundowner blocked off too.

20. Unfortunately, it is Canyon Oaks (aka: Ametican Beauty). It is on the backside of the development, the one really bad street that is a thorn in the side of the rest of the development. I don’t know who picks these tenants but one bad one moves out just for another to be let in.

Debbie Edmiston is right, most people here are not Section 8, but with so many foreclosures the bank & HOA had to do something to protect their investment (and that of the other owners/tenants) so they opened some rentals up as S8 to increase revenue. Remember: a vacant unit attracts trouble, too.

Some of the Section 8 people are perfectly nice, some of the non-section 8 on that street are pretty nasty. Millionaires are just as capable of crime as the poor are capable of living law abiding lives.

That said, coroner is still onsite and the cops won’t even tell us if this was random or targeted.

• sunshine says:

Section 8nshouldnnot live in condos with luxurious surroundings. They should be sent to Palmdale or a less desirable surrounding. Our taxes are supporting these people.

21. Crystal Gentry says:

Yes…it’s everywhere now. But mainly it’s because the downtown cities are pushing all the gangs/criminals into the suburbs with their inflation rates on rent/leases/etc. Santa Clarita (used) to be safe….but because it’s so close to LA and SFV it’s easier than say…Palmdale. I hope SCV detectives find these murderers and pay for the life they took away.

22. Not all of CC is bad .. I live on Hillfield & Sierra (by elks) & I love it here nice & quiet. So sad about this man & ABs prayers for his family

23. Everyone saying Santa Clarita is getting bad is off base and doesn’t really know what they are talking about. Sure there are tiny pockets in Santa Clarita that have some issues such as areas in Canyon Country, Newhall…but as a whole Santa Clarita is still extremely safe. No matter where you go you will always have some areas where crime happens, and Santa Clarita is no different. But compared to so many other places SCV is safe. And yes I used to live in the Park Sierra apartments off of Jakes Way so I realize there are some crime issues over there.

24. How could this happen in “Awesome Town” where awesome lives? I expect these things in my neck of the woods-

25. Jim Oge Jr Jim Oge Jr says:

No the crime is rising in Scv look at the reports. Including the drugs.

26. Greg says:

I live here and most of us are homeowners that live here because it is what we can afford. I apologize to to those who can afford to live in mello-roos taxed neighborhoods but if you look at the average income for families in Santa Clarita, then you will see that most of us can’t. Does this mean that we don’t desire for our families to be safe and feel secure? We want peace and prosperity as much as anyone else. Hopefully this is a wake up call to the HOA and Sheriff’s dept. According to our HOA budget we pay $140,000 a year for armed private security, but I rarely see them. The deputies tend to come to take reports then go patrol elsewhere. I have never seen deputies get out of their cars and do a footbeat. They should make a better effort to meet with the homeowners and build a rapport with the community.

It is my studied opinion that the problems I have seen around the condos is not the result of the homeowners but a problem with the renters. The hood has definitely been creeping into the area and they aren ‘t buying their way in. Unfortunately, most homeowners, including myself, rather just keep our heads down and not see or know too much. We are just working like crazy to get to our house in a gated community.

27. How close is that to you?

28. It’s where we used to live next to the Mobil home park

29. Mario D. says:

Let me clarify things for every one this was not a suicide this was “murder”. I know I was there. I currently live in American Beauty on Sundowner Pl. I saw it happened right in front of my bedroom window. I and one of my neighbors were the first to witness the body. It was dark and I could not tell if he was breathing. My other neighbor from below where I live gave me a flash light and when I pointed at the body he was on the floor lifeless with blood all over the floor. I believe he also had a head wound from when he fell because there was stuff coming out of his head. So this was murder, and I hope the Sheriff catch the people who did it.

30. Mario D. says:

Also I do apologize if my comment is strong or graphic. My prayers go to the mans family and I hope that justice is served.

31. sunshine says:

It doesn’t matter where you live as Valencia and Stevenson Ranch have murders and crime. These condos are not considered American Beauty. The American Beauty where I live were selling close to $400,000 before the drop. Now they are going up in price. We have many professional people living here, including myself. There are teachers, nurses and many other professions. I would like to see many undesirable renters, but you have landlords who rent to anyone. I feel very safe in my condo which is very quiet and we can call security at any time and they respond.

32. Do they know who the victim was yet

33. Anonymous says:

Anyone can get a loan for those condos

• sunshine says:

You are full of crap as not everyone can not get a loan to live here. Low life renters can not get a loan or they would be buying. Furthermore, banks are very particular who buys today as they don’t want another group of foreclosures on their hands. You have to have excellent credit and a long lasting to buy today.

34. i.d says:

It’s been two days since the murder happened here at Sundowner and I’m sitting here reading this comments. It is sad to hear that people think just because people rent on this condos they are the result of crime. No let me tell you that I have seen so many bad persons jumping off the wall that separates Sundowner from Diamond Park Appts. Unfortunately Diamond Park along with other complexes such as Jakes Way, Sand Canyon appt are letting people with Section 8 moving into our community. I am not trying to be racist or prejudice but if you come back from work like around 4 or 5 in the afternoon you will see a lot of this people walking and jumping back and forward from Dimond Park complex to our side being loud and always being so Ghetto. They think by walking in their little groups and just because they give you a dirty look you are suppose to be afraid of them. This people are the results of our community changing. We do have honest people renting and living honestly in our condos but most of our crimes are the result of this people in section 8 moving into our neighborhoods.

35. Witnessed says:

It is rediculous, I am sad to say that the area has declined. The above comment is so true, it is the trash that jumps over the wall along with the trash that they come to visit that are the problem. Not the decent family people who live here. We live here mind our own business take our kids swimming, walk our dogs (and pick up after our dogs) go to work and come home. But you have trash that walk around like bullies and let there animals crap everywhere, and since they don’t have jobs they have lots of time to cause problems. God forbid they spend their free time going and apply for jobs. Instead they bring the area down with their uncontrollable teens who are leaches to the life blood of society.

36. sunshine says:

If you think Canyon Country is so bad
    Go live in Beverly Hills,as they had five murders in 2013 with many rapes and robberies.

37. J gon says:

Yes it’s all that trash from diamond park apartments they broke in to my car last Sunday and my ipad and lap top was stolen from my car also my job keys and work paper I will give a reward to anybody that could give me information I don’t want anything back I just want justice.

38. sunshine says:

it is no doubt renters as most people who have an investment in the property have pride in ownership, except for slum lords who buy to rent and rent to anyone,

39. I.D says:

Just to let other people know that in order to rent a condo from Sundowner or American Beauty they will make a credit check and also they want to make sure that you have a decent job and that your kids are good in school. This is the proper way to have an invetesment in order to have a good retirement. So lets make sure not critise owners who rent their properties to descent families. As on ther hand we should make sure that Diamond Park should ask for families that have teenagers that their school grades are good because that would tell you what kind of education they have.

40. I.D says:

Also if anyone from our H.O.A is reading this articles please have your security staff to patrol more often on Sundowner Way. You know where that famous wall is located at, the only thing that separates us from those people. I want to feel safe when I come back from work and when my kids are coming back from school.

41. sonia says:

its those dame BEANERS! GOD I HATE THEM

Sunday, Oct 22, 2017
OutWest Owners Jim and Bobbi Jean Bell Ride East Into the Sunrise
Bobbi Jean and her husband Jim Bell, whose OutWest clothing store and popular TV concert series celebrated all things Western and equestrian and helped revitalize Old Town Newhall over the past decade, will soon ride east into the sunrise: They’re moving to New Mexico.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat alert as high temperatures have been forecast for the Los Angeles Basin on Monday, October 23 through Tuesday, October 24.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
Caltrans added nearly 1,200 lane miles of pavement repair and 66 bridges to its growing list of projects to be delivered sooner than planned, thanks to the imminent influx of revenue from the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 (SB 1), the transportation funding and reform package passed in April.

OutWest Owners Jim and Bobbi Jean Bell Ride East Into the Sunrise
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a sexual assault suspect was arrested Thursday night. Plus, some great weekend events. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 20, 2017
Forever Fit SCV, a Santa Clarita sports and personal fitness training company, will host a "Pumpkin Workout" at its Centre Pointe location on Saturday, October 28, starting at 9 a.m.
Oct. 25: Pumpkin Workout Benefits American Cancer Society
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.
Oct. 25: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
The LA County Public Defender has won the Silver Eagle Award for its Public Defender Jail Liaison Program during the 31st Annual Productivity and Quality Awards Ceremony on Oct. 18 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
LA County Public Defender Soars with Silver Eagle Award
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures has received three major gifts toward the creation of the museum in Los Angeles, bringing fundraising to more than $300M, nearly 80 percent of its $388M campaign goal.
Motion Picture Museum Nears $388M Campaign Goal
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
The city of Santa Clarita and SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc. invite the public to attend a special ceremony unveiling the new Fallen Warriors Monument at Veterans Historical Plaza in Newhall on Wednesday, November 8 starting at 10 a.m.
Nov. 8: City Unveils Fallen Warriors Monument in Newhall
Crime Prevention deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station along with Los Angeles County Probation Department officers conducted probation compliance searches Friday throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff Station's public safety report for Canyon Country (West), aka Zone 7, for October 2 through October 8, 2017
Crime Blotter: Robbery, Grand Theft in Canyon Country West
A suspect has been arrested in the investigation of an alleged sexual assault, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station officials.
Suspect Arrested in Alleged Sexual Assault
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teens in the United States and a concern the California Highway Patrol addresses with its "Start Smart" program.
CHP Helps New Drivers with ‘Start Smart’ Classes
The California High-Speed Rail Authority punted one of the most important decisions during its monthly meeting Thursday, stoking concerns the entity is not moving quickly enough on the $64 billion project.
California’s Bullet Train Board Delays Award of Key Contract
An extensive investigation by the county of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs in conjunction with the office of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has resulted in a lawsuit announced today by the Attorney General against retailer Curacao.
AG Sues Retailer Curacao for Allegedly Preying on Consumers
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]
CHESTERFIELD, MO — NewGround, a St. Louis-based experiential design-build firm, recently teamed up with Logix Federal Credit Union to work on a large scale facility project, a new corporate headquarters building for the full-service credit union in the Burbank, California area.
Valencia Will Soon be Home to Logix Federal Credit Union Headquarters
The CSUN women's volleyball team (10-9, 4-3 Big West) opens the second half of the Big West season this week as the Matadors head up the coast this week for road tests at No. 23 Cal Poly (17-2, 7-0 Big West) and UC Santa Barbara (4-15, 3-4 Big West). CSUN, coming off a tough five-set loss to Hawai'i at home, is 3-4 in seven road matches this season but has won two of three Big West road contests.
Matadors Volleyball Testing Their Skills on the Road
No. 5 College of the Canyons defeated L.A. Mission College 3-0 on Wednesday to earn its eighth consecutive match and fifth straight sweep. Set scores were 25-15, 25-11, and 25-20.
Cougars Volleyball Earns Fifth Straight Sweep
CSUN Women's Soccer (7-4-5, 3-1-1 BWC) looks to move up in the Big West standings this week as it hosts UC Irvine on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Matadors Get Ready for Big West Matchups
Behind Julio Rubio's goal in the 11th minute CSUN defeated UC Riverside 1-0 in Big West Conference men's soccer action Wednesday night.
Matadors Lone Goal Enough to Hold Off UC Riverside
Northridge, CA – CSUN Athletics officially opened its new satellite athletic training facility on Thursday at an event featuring Athletic Director Dr. Brandon Martin, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Steven Grech, student-athletes, coaches, staff and campus partners.
Matadors Student-Athletes Welcome New Training Facility
Want unique gifts and a shopping experience unlike any other?
Nov. 18-19: City’s Annual Two-Day Fine Craft Show
City officials gathered Wednesday for the Grand Opening of "Three Oaks," the first 100 percent affordable family development in Santa Clarita.
Affordable Housing Comes to Santa Clarita
The Gibbon Conservation Center will celebrate Halloween for the first time on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 28: Gibbon Conservation Center Celebrates First Halloween
California State University, Northridge is partnering with the California State University Entertainment Alliance to host a morning of workshops designed to offer students and members of the public advice on building successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Oct. 23: CSUN Workshop; Succeeding in Entertainment Industry
Spotlight Arts Center, a local non-profit that provides free performing and visual arts classes to children in the Santa Clarita Valley, will hold its Fall Festival, Sunday, Oct. 22 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 22: Fall Festival Spotlight Arts Center
The College of the Canyons Athletics department is inviting all players, coaches and cheerleaders associated with a Santa Clarita Valley youth sports league or cheer organization to attend Saturday's Cougar football game free of charge.
Oct. 21: SCV Youth Teams Invited to Free COC Football Game
College of the Canyons freshmen Joanna Roecker and Cassandra Lee both turned in scores of 79 to lead the Cougars to a second place team finish at the Western State Conference (WSC) event hosted by Glendale College at Brookside Golf Course on Monday.
COC Falls Short at WSC Glendale
Beginning Monday, October 23, 2017, the city of Santa Clarita will increase the frequency of street sweeping throughout all areas of the City.
Oct. 23: City Begins Increased Street Sweeping Frequency
In a battle for Western State Conference, East Division supremacy, it was College of the Canyons that came out on top Tuesday night, as the Cougars scored two second half goals to secure a 2-0 win against visiting Antelope Valley College. Justine Hoeft and Jennifer Roney collected goals for the Cougars (11-2, 2-0).
COC Secures Win Against AVC With Two Second-Half Goals
The upcoming 10-year anniversary of the Buckweed Fires offers Santa Clarita residents a reminder of the ever-present fire danger in Los Angeles County, as blazes ravage the northern half of the state, as well.
Officials Reflect on 10-Year Anniversary of Buckweed Fires
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station, with help from a Smartphone GPS system, were able to locate a lost hiker Wednesday night at Towsley Canyon.
Smartphone GPS Locates Lost Towsley Canyon Hiker