Mostly sunny
Mostly sunny

July 22
2000 - Historic Larinan house in Pico Canyon burns down [story]

Several Santa Clarita Valley churches are targeted for a Sunday, Feb. 22, protest by members of the notorious Westboro Baptist Church.

Westboro’s online “Picket Schedule” lists five churches with Sunday services the group plans to protest ahead of the Oscars next week — Saint Kateri Tekakwitha in Saugus; Grace Baptist Church in Saugus; St. Stephen’s Episcopal in Newhall; Santa Clarita United Methodist; and the Church on the Way.

westboroStarting at 8 a.m., WBC posted its plans online to spend a half-hour at each church, and then begin protesting the Academy Awards ceremony at Dolby Theater in Los Angeles from 2:30-4:30 p.m.

The Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church is considered a hate group by the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Law Poverty Center, which tracks such activity.

WBC members frequently protest military funerals because they feel God is punishing the United States with war deaths because the nation supports homosexuality, as well as other views WBC members feel are immoral. WBC is not officially affiliated with any larger Baptist denomination.

According to a message on the WBC website:

“WBC will picket the St. Stephen’s Episcopal Dog Kennel with words of life and hope. There is nothing good to come from an Episcopal church, founded by and [sic] adulterer for the sole purpose of committing adultery. Hello?! NO ADULTERY!!

wbcRev. Kelly O’Connell, lead pastor for St. Stephens, sounded somewhat bemused by the news Thursday, when she found out the church was targeted by WBC members, who have never contacted St. Stephens directly, she said.

“(St. Stephen’s) reaction is, ‘Well, if we’ve gotten the notice of Westboro Baptist, then we’ must be doing something right,’” she said.

Church leader Fred Phelps Jr., son of the late founder.

Church leader Fred Phelps Jr., son of the late founder.

The church’s communication team will be meeting to discuss any concerns and questions this week, she said, adding WBC’s planned appearance coincided with the church’s largest weekly service.

Her main concern was that parishioners feel safe and comfortable while attending their worship, she said, adding there wasn’t a lot of public property around the church’s main entrance, so access shouldn’t be an issue.

“We believe that Jesus expressed his love for everyone – so my question is how much time and energy do we put into this, in case no one shows up,” O’Connell said, adding she also was aware sometimes WBC announces protests that don’t materialize. “I actually have some serious doubts that anyone will show.”

westboro021315

1. David did u see this?

2. Wow I’m really surprised they aren’t picketing Real Life

3. John Ricci John Ricci says:

This is awesome! Don’t they have anything better to do then spread hate? And have hate speech ?

4. Why are they doing this? Love the reaction from Rev. O’Connell though.

5. April Fiege April Fiege says:

Who’s up for throwing some water balloons at these idiots?

6. Zach Downing Zach Downing says:

Daniel Ruppert don’t you wish you were here for this.

7. Message to Westboro Baptist Church…why don’t you help the homeless or something…isn’t that what Jesus would be doing…PS: go back where you haters came from

8. Brett Milam Brett Milam says:

are you kidding me….

9. Hate and church shouldn’t be used together

10. Brett Milam Brett Milam says:

i’m bringing tomatoes.

11. Aaron Reno Roz Reno – and i thought scv was boring. lol!

12. Oh bring it on you whackjobs..i live between 2 of these churches so this shall be interesting! Although, i’m wondering why they are targeting SCV, kind of weird but then again they are weird. I will sit with my rainbow shirt on blasting “I kissed a girl and i liked it” with my 3 kids in tow!!! I ❤ my gays/lesbians and i’m straight as an arrow!!

13. I never seen Santa Clarita have so much support. Speaking from My Wife and I,we also attend that church. My family has felt out of place since moving here 6 years ago. Thank you.

14. Cori Leon Cori Leon says:

Omg just ban religion. .. geez

• Nes Tor says:

NO. NO. That is not the solution. Their are many evil people who try to make their bad look good. Investigate and weed out those bad apples and discard them.

• Paul Keogh Paul Keogh says:

lol, ban religion, good luck with something that can NEVER happen.

• Cori Leon Cori Leon says:

It’s a matter of a few years.I mean I’m in my late twenties and I remember being little and being openly gay was a huge NO! Look at it now, it’s legal to marry for our gay communities. Newer generations are being raised by my generation or even the generation after me and we’ve all developed into high tech and science people. It’s rare to see a 20-30 year old actually be part of a religion. Does it mean that we don’t believe in God? Absolutely not! It means we don’t follow man made organization that claim they can interpret the bible which for all we do know it was written by men that claimed God inspired them…

15. Sergio Alvarez Lauren Neville

16. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

I think these fanatics haven’t met the likes of my SCV brother’s and sisters yet! It will hopefully be met with the CITIZENS of SCV counter protesting, and scaring the Cr-p out of the Westboro nut jobs! Bring your megaphones, and blast that music on them! Car horns, or whatever it takes to make them get the heck out of SCV! This is our town! We welcome only peaceful good folks around here! Get the Bikers for Jesus up here! They know what to do!

17. Emily Ball says:

I am fascinated by the choice. Of all of the churches in SCV I would assume Real Life Church would be targeted as devil worshippers.

18. So what are the sane rational people doing in response? This could be fun! Does that make me sick and twisted?

19. Taken directly from their website I apologize for the name of their webpage I don’t like posting it myself. Makes me cringe

20. I hate these scum bag fundaMENTALIST

21. “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” http://bible.com/116/gal.5.22-23.nlt

22. Pepper spray……gallons of pepper spray

23. Deb Clem Deb Clem says:

I didn’t know that GOD Hated anything!

24. Raul Engle Raul Engle says:

Ugh! So annoying! We need to arrange a love party to show them how tolerance gets DOWN!

25. Kara Eckert Kara Eckert says:

I’m confused, who exactly is picketing,? And why?

26. Kara Eckert Kara Eckert says:

Isn’t Westboro baptist that cult ?

27. Neil Arno Neil Arno says:

Those are some crazy and disgusting people.

28. Sally Rivera Sally Rivera says:

Monique Lucas Michael Lucas

29. Maybe they will be struck by lightning on their way here.

30. Compassion and kindness.

31. What are the Churches? I would gladly be ready at the churches to show them what Santa Clarita is made of! We won’t take this sitting down! Who wants to protest against them with me because this is unacceptable behavior and they need to be punished for it!

32. Hate groups need to stay the efffff out of scv. We have enough problems without idiots trying to brainwash our youth

• Hate groups need not exist at all! But I do think that our youth are in era now (unless raised by these people) where they think everyone should just be with who they love…gender not an issue. So, I don’t think we need to worry about any brainwashing

• I wish I can agree. I feel that most parents and friends of teens can raise their kids to come to that conclusion on their own yet I find there are youth in this world who will listen to the trash that hate mongers are spewing because they either a) don’t want to piss off their parents or b) are forced to believe what those hate spreading idiots are trying to sell. Idiots that spew hate target vulnerable teens and young adults with their bs “youth groups”. It’s scary to think these morons are coming to our town to preach. I guess what I mean is lock up your daughters and lock up your sons since the idiot convention will be here. :)

33. JENNIFER JANUS says:

THERE’S ENOUGH HATE IN THIS WORLD AND NOW THIS Hate Church THAT IS SO WRONG IN MANY WAYS THIS SO MESS UP

34. Nancy Moreno RUN!!!!!

35. The protesters all need to get a life. Pathetic people that they are.

36. Leo Gonzalez Leo Gonzalez says:

This pretty much sums them up.

37. I sell pepper spray. Just sayin’

38. Scott Ervin Scott Ervin says:

WB in the SCV. Shaken not stirred. This outta be good.

39. i want to make a god hates kanye sign and join them hahaha

40. Jason Greil Jason Greil says:

F U C K…………OFF!!!!!

41. Chris Cahill Chris Cahill says:

Absolutely disgusting.

42. God doesn’t hate anyone. Except for these folks…pretty sure he hates them.

43. I am a bible thumper evangelist and what/how they protest is not ok. Jesus also says you will know it’s fruit by it’s tree. God bless everyone.

44. Sunny says:

Where do I report and time should I be there? I am ambidextrous and would enjoy throwing water balloons at WBC members who protest here in SC. I feel sorry for small minded people. We need to stand together against these haters.

45. Ram Iro Ram Iro says:

It’s happening ..

46. Dave Lee Dave Lee says:

They want attention. Just completely ignore them and eventually they’ll feel like they’re wasting their time and go away. Think about it, if nobody even looks at them they’ll get bored and go home.

47. Sharon Todd Sharon Todd says:

These people are whacked. Who are they to pass judgement on anyone? Only God reserves that right. Two words for them…More Ons….

• JENNIFER JANUS says:

they are more then a more on’s we need god more then ever now we need to stand together as one and fight for god and jesus and i am jewish

48. Kory Abel Kory Abel says:

The whole point of God is love these people are crazy

49. Throwing projectiles i.e. tomatoes, water balloons may be construed as “Battery” in the state of California. Be careful. These scumbags thrive on lawsuits and they win. The matriarch is a lawyer. Go to youtube.com and type Westboro Baptist Church.

50. Danni McCall Danni McCall says:

Tammie Rose JT Rose apparently they’ll be at St. Kateri

51. Nes Tor says:

If they do or do not believe in God, they will get their reward when they leave this earth and meet Him face to face. No if, ands or buts. May he have pity on your soul.

52. Nes Tor says:

Are these idiots followers of Tony Alamo? Throw them all in jail alongside with him.

53. Char says:

I usually don’t hate on anyone… but… after learning about them, watching documentaries, and learning about “their bible”… my blood just boils.
    I want them out of our beautiful community. I’m ready to kick them out of our town. I’m ready to picket them out of town.
    Please tell me someone is starting a picketing to picket them out. I’m ready. Sign me up.

54. haha Sara Raye Raza…I’ll be right next to you

55. Ooooooo I’m so going to church this Sunday. Thanks.

56. Oh look the attention whores are back… it was a good run not hearing about their asses for a while… now they hunger for fame again.. fml

57. Oh look the attention whores are back… it was a good run not hearing about their asses for a while… now they hunger for fame again.. fml

58. Shane Rosas Shane Rosas says:

These are the same people who think the earth is 6000 years old. Like watching apes at the zoo.

59. Shane Rosas Shane Rosas says:

60. Mike Navarro Mike Navarro says:

Fire up the Harleys and drown them out!!!!!!

61. Mike Navarro Mike Navarro says:

Fire up the Harleys and drown them out!!!!!!

62. Since when did it become their job to judge! God is not about hate.

63. Since when did it become their job to judge! God is not about hate.

64. Sean King Sean King says:

So happy its not my church.

65. Sean King Sean King says:

So happy its not my church.

66. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

The Westboro Baptist Church. America’s Taliban

67. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

The Westboro Baptist Church. America’s Taliban

68. Len Rothmann Len Rothmann says:

I saw these people this morning, they were between my colon and the water in the toilet.

69. Len Rothmann Len Rothmann says:

70. Wow… Lol #toomuchtimeontherehands

71. Wow… Lol #toomuchtimeontherehands

72. Joe Zepeda Joe Zepeda says:

I know we can’t shoot them with real guns but how about paintball guns? PLEASE?

73. Joe Zepeda Joe Zepeda says:

I know we can’t shoot them with real guns but how about paintball guns? PLEASE?

74. Christine Dlugatch says:

are there any ‘ pickets’ by citizen against this ignorant group?? I’m Jewish and this group shouldn’t be allowed to spill filth ANYWHERE or at least televise their ignorance.

75. Haha I think it’s time that celebrities put their money where their mouth is. For every protestor their should be a donation to a LGBT OR military charity. I would say 1000 a head. Which person out there wants to do that?

76. Also, I can’t wait to
    See these guys. I should get their autographs!!!!

77. Ty Brandt Ty Brandt says:

Janine Elise Harris awareness & Tyler Gregory thought you’d like to know about this if you didn’t already

78. Frank Rock Frank Rock says:

Although I wouldn’t mind if an errant, out of control truck found it’s way through this crowd of inbred hypocrites the best thing to do is give them no notice, no press, nothing to suggest they exist.

79. J Mig Uel J Mig Uel says:

Bring it on Westbrook baptist. We will be ready.

80. God only dislikes false prophets

81. macroview says:

Here’s some pure delusion for you, from their website:

The Church on the Way in Santa Clarita, CA February 22, 2015 11:00 AM – 11:30 AM

It’s always a bad sign when a group calling themselves a church of God seeks donations. It’s an even worse sign when that group has female “pastors”.

This passage is very clear:

1Ti 2:9-14 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

Any person who has the smallest desire to serve God should RUN, not walk, away from this house of satan. Those who seek to serve God, seek to obey His commandments. All of his commandments, not just the ones convenient to you.

Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

“christians” refusing to obey the simple commandments of God have led this nation to accepting fag marriage. The Church on the Way caused fag marriage and each member will be held accountable.

GOD WILL NOT HAVE FAG MARRIAGE!!!

82. suit up its clobbering time.

83. This is so sad to read all these comments lil do these ignorant people know that they aren’t rejecting them or telling them of there doing it to god so sad than they wonder why so much crime why so dangerous cuz people wanna ignore the fact that theirs a god

84. They make my skin crawl!!

85. Ian O Ian O'Hara says:

Cant wait to say these words to them, “youre the load your mother should have swallowed” and then we do a dance off via guardians of the galaxy

86. Cass Lopez Cass Lopez says:

These people need to get a life. Preaching to be forgivers and non judge mental and to love is NOT to turn around and “judge” others for getting a divorce and remarried. So controlling and sickening!! Oh and Leo Gonzalez, truth!!

87. Ian O Ian O'Hara says:

This will be a pre comic con workout for me! They were there last year

88. Cass Lopez Cass Lopez says:

These people are psychos …

89. Tan Phung Tan Phung says:

Kyle Edward Harris the circus is coming to town

90. Feel free to join the protest at Saint Kateri Tekawitha. Let’s bring PEACE during this time of hate.

91. Maria are you defending Westboro?

92. I’m sorry, but so many of you are responding to this in the exact way that the people of Westboro want you to. They clearly want their voices heard and their name to be known, so the easiest solution to their protesting is to completely ignore them. If they see people responding with rage and fighting back, they will know they have won because they got in your heads. I can’t say I know the Bible from beginning to end, but I do know some things stated in Romans 2 that may help you in understanding where I am coming from. “You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.” So, if you are continuously judging others for not being perfect and not loving God in the same way that you do, you are only judging yourself in the same that they are. Much love.

93. Bill says:

And the nutcases come to town

94. Aren’t there better things to do, in Santa Clarita than this? I just moved here. If they DON’T like something why not pray about it ? EMBARRASSING I say

95. So just so I have this right….. A baptist church is going to picket other church’s with unkind, mean spirited and messages of hate? Really? That does not sound like “church” activity….. I am go to pray for those who attend and minister at the Westboro Baptist Church. Something has gone HORRIBLY off track for these folks.

96. Tony The Messenger says:

These people are no diferente than those “Extreme Muslims”. I’m “born again” alive and active but with a councious that equals = common sense and a heart that equals = compasion. Let G-d always be the judge.
    -Tony The Messenger

• And sinners! See Romans 9:15; Psalm 5:5 and so much more of God’s word. Gandhi coined your lie, NOT God! What burns in hell? Sin or some clump of sins? Don’t check your brains at the door! Read the words and obey God!

97. Shirley Phelps-Roper says:

We do not need to talk with the devil to know he is up to mischief. Just ask the woman that calls herself a pastor (God hates women preachers) – are there divorced and remarried people in that so-called church?

Our Lord Jesus Christ said two things about that – Luke 16:18 – if you divorce and remarry, you are living in adultery and if you marry someone that is divorced, you are living in adultery. He also said many times – THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY! Malachi 2 says that God HATES divorce – yes it says just that! Stop being Bible dumb and rebellious, and read the words and hush up! California is getting her back-side handed to her, and you foolish rebels refuse to connect the dots!

Paul said – it is for your proud sin that the wrath of God comes upon and abides upon the children of disobedience! Your destruction is imminent and you don’t even see the slaughter hand coming a you! :(

PS – God will NEVER have same-sex marriage!

Follow @wbcsaysrepent for more word of God from Westboro Baptist Church. :)

98. James DeRuvo James DeRuvo says:

He that doesn’t love, doesn’t know God. For God is Love. – 1 John 4:8

Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness.
    1 John 2:9

They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work. Titus 1:16

Therefore you have no excuse, O man, every one of you who judges. For in passing judgment on another you condemn yourself, because you, the judge, practice the very same things. We know that the judgment of God rightly falls on those who practice such things. Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God?
    Romans 2:1-5

“‘I know your works, your toil and your patient endurance, and how you cannot bear with those who are evil, but have tested those who call themselves apostles and are not, and found them to be false. – Rev 2;2

99. Ryan Rivera Ryan Rivera says:

Wait…..so a church is going to protest…..another church????

100. Shirley says:

Get real. do something more productive with your damn time.

101. mboron says:

Believe it – God loves these people too. Perhaps
    He wants us to show them that by our response.
    Prayers and Blessings instead of reaction in the
    same manner as theirs. A hateful response to them
    proves their conduct is valid. Silence, prayer and
    Blessings are God’s ways. Peace, not violence.

102. James DeRuvo James DeRuvo says:

Proverbs 6:16-19New International Version (NIV)

16 There are six things the Lord hates,
    seven that are detestable to him:
    17 haughty eyes,
    a lying tongue,
    hands that shed innocent blood,
    18 a heart that devises wicked schemes,
    feet that are quick to rush into evil,
    19 a false witness who pours out lies
    and a person who stirs up conflict in the community.

Hmmm I don’t think they’re reading it right.

103. Oh my, they are evil. It’s amazing they don’t target us Jews. Or, maybe we’re next. I’m sorry this is happening to your churches…my dear, precious neighbors go to one of those churches. They are the most wonderful, g-d fearing an loving, people I know.

• JENNIFER JANUS says:

look at the picture showing the star of David we all need to stand together as one now there is to much hate in world and it is very sad to see this i was shocked to see this i am Jewish Vietnam veteran and all we what is peace in the world and god is love

104. Paintball snipers ready?

105. Maybe they could come feed the homeless

106. Apparently. These people have never heard” judge not lest he be judged”. Sad

107. I’ll bring my pa and blast some slayer… westburo is gonna love some slayer.

108. If You Ask Me—I Suspect That Westboro Baptists Are Agents Of “Poo-Poo” Putin, Helping With His Secret Agenda. ;)

109. So ya they appear as wierdos but last I heard there is Freedom of Speech. Im sure the Sherriffs Dept will be around. Crazy.

110. It’s been a crazy dream of mine to go head to head, toe to toe with those F’d up Westboro people!!! Let’s do this!

111. It’s been a crazy dream of mine to go head to head, toe to toe with those F’d up Westboro people!!! Let’s do this!

112. Bill P. says:

I am sadden by this group that attacks the body of Christ and the negative Christian witness that non-christians are seeing because of them. I am also VERY concerned (based on many of the comments already posted here) that the response to them will be seen by the non-christian community as being just as hate filled as that of the protestors. I hope our response will bring honor to Jesus.

• Xavier says:

My thoughts exactly Bill. We must show the protestors Christian love back. Do any of you really think that hating this group and not showing them love will solve anything?

113. The saddest part about all this is the battle between believers and believers when the battles as Christians we are to fight are against the enemy Satan not each other. I do know my Bible and it clearly says that we are to love one another as Jesus Christ loves us. All this Truly breaks my heart, but the bible does say that all of this would come to pass before he came back for us in book of Revelations. I will pray for peace & clarity to come from all those involved & for God to have mercy on them, for they know not what they do. Amen

114. Judge not lest you be judged….they don’t get that!

115. Joe Schreier Joe Schreier says:

Your Pastor vs. WBC …battle of the bible versus.

116. Please do not bring tomatoes or paint balls or anger. Bring love. Bring a song. Bring peace in your heart and the love of the Lord. Only love can conquer hate. If we smile at them and wish them peace, we win. If we are angry, they win.

117. Joe Yamauchi Joe Yamauchi says:

Question, A Church is considered a private institution ? Can they really come on the grounds and protest while services are happening? Don’t we as parishioners have the right to block them from stepping onto the grounds of private property? Anybody in law enforcement know or lawyering know ? They can’t ruin services for every Church in the SCV. This could unite all the different Churches to be one for peace and respect for the freedom of Religion.

118. Alfonso Estevan Montejano

119. Xavier says:

It seems like, If only we could get these folks into Mass or Adoration. They should be talked to and explained to. :)

120. I highly dislike religious fanatics.

121. JT Rose JT Rose says:

Didn’t see any today Danni McCall!

122. Betty Arenson says:

What a photo op! Holding a sign that says “Fags doom nations” Classy. The good news is that all people disgusted by that fool are not him or have his decrepit mind.

123. Tessa Lucero says:

Please do not stoop to the WBC’s level by bringing megaphones or projectiles. They can’t help the hateful beliefs with which they were raised, though I pray that they will learn the love and forgiveness that Christ taught.

Attend the service at whichever of the target churches you prefer to attend at the time WBC plans to be there. Show them that we are stronger than they are both in numbers and in faith. If your place of worship isn’t one of the churches WBC is targeting, attend your service as you normally would and come to one of the churches targeted to lend your support and worship with us.

I’ll be at St. Stephen’s for the 10 AM service as I am most Sundays. All are welcome — yes even WBC members — to come and worship as we begin the observance of the Lenten season. We’ve been the target of demonstrations before. We survived and stood strong. We’ll stand proudly for our faith and our beliefs this time also.

124. Davud says:

To those of you whom zcrist has calked to be his body here on Earth, until he returns,

Do not advocate violence on therpse lost souls. Instead, pray for them. If it God’s will that they shoukd hear them, they will be coals of fire upon their heads – as their own pride convicts them of their hypocricy.

You will know them by their fruit. Their fripuit is hatred, do not become infected by it. You have been calked to minister to a dying workd.

Remember: the wise man holds his tongue and is thought a fool, while the fool proclaims his foolishness.

Hold your tongues therefore and be wise and not fall int hypocrisy.

125. Davud says:

To those of you whom Christ has called to be his body here on Earth, until he returns,

Do not advocate violence on these lost souls. Instead, pray for them. If it God’s will that they should hear them, they will be coals of fire upon their heads – as their own pride convicts them of their hypocricy.

You will know them by their fruit. Their fruit is hatred, do not become infected by it. You have been called to minister to a dying world.

Hold your tongues therefore and be wise and not fall into hypocrisy – lest you find yourselves the fools.

Friday, Jul 20, 2018
Court: Chiquita Landfill Must Comply with CUP, Pay County $12 Mil.
The L.A. County Superior Court on July 17 sided with Los Angeles County and dismissed a portion of Chiquita Canyon LLC's complaint, which challenged 13 conditions of the county's conditional use permit governing how the landfill operates, Supervisor Kathryn Barger announced Friday.
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
Four men allegedly stole a van and crashed it at Cinema Drive and Valencia Boulevard late Friday afternoon, breaking gas and water lines and snarling rush-hour traffic in the center of the city.
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's board of directors voted in its Tuesday meeting to revise its per-diem payment policy for board members attending industry-related meetings and conferences.

2000 - Historic Larinan house in Pico Canyon burns down [story]
1952 - 7.5-magnitude Kern County earthquake devastates Tehachapi; damage spread from San Diego to Las Vegas [story]
Court: Chiquita Landfill Must Comply with CUP, Pay County $12 Mil.
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has announced $4,518,000 in two-year grants to 216 nonprofit arts organizations through its Organizational Grant Program, and the Santa Clarita Philharmonic Orchestra and the Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival are among the grantees.
Santa Clarita Philharmonic, Shakespeare Festival Win County Arts Grants
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
College of the Canyons men's basketball player Robert Moss will continue his playing career at University of Saint Katherine after committing to join the Firebirds program.
COC Hoopster Robert Moss Commits to University of Saint Katherine
When wives earn more than their husbands, a puzzling thing can happen: Husbands say they earn more than they are and wives underreport their income, according to new Census Bureau research.
Census Research: Spouses Report Earnings Differently When Wives Earn More
Responding to a booming economy and a generous state budget, administrators on Thursday approved the first tuition decrease for the University of California system in nearly 20 years.
University of California Cuts Tuition for First Time in 20 Years
The William S. Hart Union High School District and Spirit Holding, developers of Castaic High School, will host a community kick-off event on Friday, Aug. 3, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. celebrating the one-year countdown to the grand opening of the new school, currently under construction.
Aug. 3: ‘Countdown to Castaic High’ Public Celebration
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, July 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
July 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a Heat Alert for Monday, July 23 and Tuesday, July 24, as high temperatures have been forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Heat Alert Called for Monday, Tuesday
The Lancaster JetHawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but two late home runs from Stockton's Sandber Pimentel led the Ports to victory in a 5-4 final on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Lancaster Can’t Stop Pimentel, Ports
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and Department of Justice have made public the government's plan for the court-ordered reunification of children ages 5 years and older who were separated from their parents by immigration authorities.
Feds Detail Plan to Reunite Immigrant Children with Parents
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network