March 24
1922 - Wyatt Earp's wife thanks William S. Hart for defending her husband's honor [story]

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are searching for a suspect who apparently shot a man in Canyon Country.

Suspect Kenneth Mitchelle, 26, allegedly shot Alondo Preston, 26, in a drive-by shooting Friday morning, said SCV Sheriff’s Station Spokeswoman Shirley Miller.

“This was not a random shooting. The suspect and victim know each other,” Miller said. “The suspect and victim have a personal conflict.”

Canyon-Country-ShootingThe suspect is still at large as of 3:30 p.m. Friday is believed to be driving a four-door silver sedan, Miller said. Detectives and deputies are continuing to search for the suspect.

The call came in to the 18000 block of American Beauty Drive in Canyon Country at 8 a.m. Friday, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the SCV Sheriff’s Station.

A field sergeant in the area was flagged down by people surrounding Preston, Miller said. A woman was attempting to render aid to Preston.

Preston suffered from a gunshot wound to the left leg and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, Los Angeles County Fire Department officials said.

Preston underwent surgery and is now recovering, Miller said.

Sheriff’s deputies are continuing to search for a suspect and investigate in the incident, Hahnlein said.

1. Robert King Robert King says:

When did the AV move to SCV?

2. Not surprised! It is the ABCs after all!

3. Omg, that’s why there were cops this morning by the main entrance Connie Ojeda

4. What is happening to our town!!!’

5. Straight Outta Santa Clarita Valley ?

6. There is violence everywhere people are. Get used to it.

• Doug Henslee Doug Henslee says:

You have lived in the scv since, say, 1990?
      There wasn’t this kind of problem in the valley then.

• Lol I’ve live here since 2008, born in 1985, however I have lived in 5 different states all in different parts of the country and people are ALL the same everywhere. P.s. don’t assume, you make an ass out of me and u

• I lived in the American beauty condos most of my life,
      Heck yeah there was this kind of problem. I was worse in my opinion, just not publicized. Also didn’t reach as many because Facebook wasn’t around to make it so easy for people to feed off of the world’s misfortune.

7. It’s happening because of all those cheap rental apts and sec8

• Karen Spencer Navarro says:

Where does it make sense that poor people automatically are more prone to be criminals? Being poor doesn’t mean u automatically commit crimes.
      There are wealthy people committing crimes too.
      How about every town is going to have a percentage of the total population of people that commit crimes!

• Debbie. You have guns too. Its not because of Sec8 housing or people renting apartments. Its idiots like you afraid of the real world, hoarding guns because you are a coward then snapping whenever someone makes you angry.

• If you really look at crime in this valley, it grows with the growth of the population. It isn’t as bad as the valley because we have a good police force here that works hard 24-7 to solve crime and prevent it. 3,000 new homes planned near sand canyon, apts going in by Golden valley rd. hundreds more residents, crime goes up the same percentage. Blame it on social media too. We find out more than we use too. Maybe ignorance is bliss.😊

• Statistics clearly show crime comes with poverty.

• Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

The dude looks like he’s got horse shi T for ears

• What apartments would those be because I’ve called park Sierra, river park, colonies, Sierra cyn, river ranch, the oaks, sand cyn ECT….and none of them except section 8

• River ranch is the only apartment complex who offers a low income program to qualifying families starting @ 1,200 for a two bedroom

• That’s a stupid statement.I lived there for four years…many people own their units and not many are section 8…It got a bad rap but when we were there the sheriff dept. made several visits to just make their presence known and many of the drug dealers moved out.No matter where you live or what your race or income is drug related crime is everywhere …SCV,SFV….SO Cal…..NO Cal. And so on.I have been just about homeless due to a disability and never once did I think of stealing or selling drugs…….it’s character and morals ……survival in this economy is tough but it is possible to do it legally .

• American Beauty is a complex that is not owned by a single entity corp.They are all individually owned and it is up to the owner to except section 8. Section 8 is not easy to get,waiting lists are closed and people on those lists wait 5-8 years to get a voucher .

8. If you’ve lived under a rock or your blind to anything besides yourself then this is new to you! And to those people I say… Welcome to the real SCV! It’s not clean cut, it’s not pretty, it’s not safe, and it is most definitely not “Awesome Town”! If you were to sit down and talk to my generation (I’m 26 btw!) you would never want to live here… SCV may have its bright spots but it is a dark place to live! And has been for a long LONG time!

• Wrong. My generation disagrees with you. I’m 37. The SCV has gotten bad and it wasn’t like that before.

• Well Dennis Slater we ain’t living in the 80’s when it was all dirt road and horses so get over yourself and stop living in the past

• I’m with Dennis I’m 35 born and raised here and have watched it go down hill

• Get over myself? I stated the facts that the DCB wasnt like this before. That has nothing to do with me. Sorry if the facts bother you.

• That fact of the matter is the SCV has turned in to crap. Its very sad as it used to be the second safest city in the country and a good place to raise kids.

• I hear about a Suicide every month and Kids on Heroin….it’s crazy but no one likes to talk about it because the Property Value will go down. The Landscaping is beautiful and so is the mall but there is a lot of sadness and neglect going on

• I moved here in 1987 from the San Fernando Valley because I had a baby and it was so unsafe for me and my baby to even go for a walk.Back then SCV was The safest city to live in .Soledad was the only street that got you across the valley.Things were pretty nice back then.We lived off Sand Cyn.My boys went to Mitchell ,Sierra Vista then all graduated from Cyn .They played Baseball,my youngest was on the California State Champion Football team..my point is I kept my kids busy and involved.We were far from rich but I stayed involved and they had no,time to find any trouble.Off to college they went …good ones at that and never came back.This town is like any other if you live somewhere long enough your bubble gets burst,reality sets in and you just have to live right..avoid the negative and don’t let your kids raise themselves ….I understand most family’s have two working parents or a single parent but my boys went to school from 7-4 during sport season and my youngest played football and was gone from 7-8 pm at times….no time,too tired to get into trouble.SCV is a heck of lot better than the AV. Or the SFV…move to No Cal. or to,the mid west because every city has its drugs ,robberies and murders.

• Kelly you have the smartest reply I’ve read so far.

• It bugs me to here people complain about where they live,either help make a change by becoming active in your community ,raise your children instead of letting them raise themselves or move…negativity is not activity it just is the easy way to sound like a victim.

• If my “old” memory serves me correctly….we had paved roads and cars in the 80’s. I’ve lived all over the place…my parents moved out here in 85…and I was back and forth between to different places due to their divorce….and we had crime back then too….but it wasn’t as blatant…because our parents disciplined us….we were required to have respect for our teachers,cops & parents….Eileen your comment is very ignorant!

9. Josh Shannon Josh Shannon says:

Geez what the hell is going on in my hometown… I’m glad I don’t live there anymore!

10. I’ve lived in every single section of SCV over the last 20 years. Every area has crime, drugs and mayhem. Even Valencia. One of my neighbors was shot outside of her house by her ex then he killed himself, one of my clients child was almost abducted while walking to school!!! All in Valencia. Saugus has crime, CC has crime, newhall has crime, castaic, etc…I’ve lived in them all.

11. Lacey Perry did you see this?!

12. If you build it they will come more people more problems this is not Iowa BAHAHAHA and they knew it before you did.

13. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Heroin is what’s happening to your town welcome to the world of corporate opiate Costco addictions being replace the good ol fashion smack

14. Jason Fox Jason Fox says:

Get rid off Jakes way and 90% of the crime will go away

15. The ABC’s, I’m sure

16. Cuz I was there this am, saw the guy on the ground and cops zooming to the scene ..blocked the whole complex, sad but i was just minding my own business recycling like I normally do. Smh

17. Roberta Rock Roberta Rock says:

Kwik Ink Silk Screen Designs, Joel Spunt, Next to the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge #2173 and across from the office.

18. I’m moving to south central, I hear their all moving here

19. sad to see the anger of one would lead to the harm of another

20. Larry Lopez Larry Lopez says:

What is going on out there!

21. Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

Do you guys realize how stupid you sound saying SCV is some dark place full of crime. Move to a city like Bakersfield or Lancaster for a couple years and you’ll be running back to SCV. I grew up in Bakersfield and have lived in SCV for 4 years. The crime here is laughable.

• Or they can come to work with me on a Friday night in North Hills??

• North hills/Roscoe/405/Langdon ave. You know it

• Don Hoffman Don Hoffman says:

I lived in the “Good” part of Palmdale and almost any part of the SCV is better than that…. Maybe not Jakes Way..

• Your saying that people being shot, home invasions, stabbings and children being abducted is “laughable”. I also lived in Palmdale, bako as well as the valley and SCV….crime is everywhere….but it’s not laughable…that’s such an inappropriate comment to make!!

• Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

What’s laughable is your lack of knowledge. 90% of the shootings here are suicide or domestic violence related. So if you think it’s a dangerous city look in the mirror or at your spouse. You obviously didn’t spend enough time anywhere else to know the difference. The crimes here are relatively minor. Look at demographics and you’ll be hard pressed to find a city with a lower crime rate. You won’t find a city without crime but to say it’s dangerous here is silly.

22. My boys all went to canyon ,played sports ended up going to UC schools and all moved away.Thank goodness they got out.The problem is with the kids that never leave….

23. Wahhhh drive by when did cc become the hood

24. You know Santa Clarita is #1 in suicide rates in CA, and heroin is big in Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. More people more problems rich or poor. Ignorance should be a crime.

25. Chuck Giglio Chuck Giglio says:

Guy got pissed at his buddy and shot him in the leg, what’s the big deal?…Ok, well maybe he should of just kicked him in the knee…

26. Santa clarita was cowboy country for years….then greed took over and so did the development. 20 years ago there were 13 registered gangs in SCV. Yet, some call it Awesome town. The truth is that there are safer places to live with a higher quality of life , and worse places too. None of this should come as a Suprise to us as we know that the MEDIA controls the masses. Godspeed

27. Mike says:

Why isn’t a mug shot of the shooter posted so the public can report if seen? Chances law enforcement has a mug shot if they know who the shooter is.

28. Jakes way is better then any part of av

29. Teresa Holguin Quintero I beg to differ with you on that one….I used to live off Jake’s way any years ago….we didn’t have a lot of problems then …until people stopped respecting others and trash started moving in….I’ve also lived in Palmdale…even the “nice part of Palmdale” and I would still rather take my chances on Jake’s way!

Friday, Mar 23, 2018
Feinstein, Knight Ensure Cemex Mine Would Be the Last
The FY18 Omnibus Appropriations bill, signed into law by the president today, includes language that will ultimately conclude the decades-long dispute over the proposed CEMEX mineral mine in Soledad Canyon.
Friday, Mar 23, 2018
County Health Chief Extends Beach Use Advisory Through Sunday Night
Los Angeles County Interim Health Officer Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser has extended a county beach use advisory through Sunday night at 11:30 due to runoff from the recent rainfall.
Friday, Mar 23, 2018
California High Court Rules Colleges Must Protect Students
The California Supreme Court ruled Thursday that colleges owe their students safety and protection from foreseeable violence in the classroom, reversing an appeals court’s finding that UCLA did not have a duty to protect a student who was attacked with a knife by a classmate in a chemistry lab.

Feinstein, Knight Ensure Cemex Mine Would Be the Last
The city of Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, kicks off its 2018 season with Bon Jovi tribute band Wanted on Saturday, July 7 starting at 7 p.m.
July 7: Wanted Kicks Off 2018 Concerts in the Park Season
County Health Chief Extends Beach Use Advisory Through Sunday Night
Jaiden France homered Friday for the third straight game, and Aaron Shackelford launched a three-run shot in the eighth inning to cement an 11-0 rout of Menlo College at Cartan Field in Atherton and continue his recent tear.
Mustang Baseball Takes Series Opener at Menlo 2-0
Nasmyth Group, a world leader and global supplier of precision engineering solutions in the aerospace industry based in the United Kingdom, held its grand opening of a new facility in the Santa Clarita Valley on Thursday.
Nasmyth TMF Celebrates Grand Opening in SCV
Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation chief Holly Schroeder outlines 10 really good reasons to live close to work.
SCVEDC’s Top 10 Benefits of Living Close to Work
The COC Center for Early Childhood Education and the Southern California Valley Association for the Education of Young Children will host the 15th annual "Play Day" on Saturday, April 14, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the COC Honor Grove on the college’s Valencia campus.
April 14: Play Day at COC Center for Early Childhood Education
CalArts alum Lauren Elizabeth Baba was profiled by Downbeat magazine in its March 2018 issue, in which she spoke of her time at CalArts, as well her latest album, 'Another Ride on the Elephant Slide.'
CalArts Alumna Lauren Elizabeth Baba Profiled in Downbeat Magazine
Cartoon Network premiered the animated buddy comedy "Apple & Onion" on "Adult Swim" on Feb. 23, featuring soundtrack score and theme song by CalArts alum Paul Fraser (Music MFA 11).
Cartoon Network’s ‘Apple & Onion’ Features Music by Paul Fraser
East of Borneo, a contemporary online art journal supported by CalArts School of Art, and LACMA present the fifth annual Art + Feminism meetup, a global do-it-yourself campaign to improve the coverage of women, feminism and the arts on Wikipedia at LACMA on Sunday, March 25, starting at noon.
March 25: Art + Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon, Panel at LACMA
Master's sophomore Hannah Forrar has been named an NAIA Division 1 Women's Basketball All-American, the sixth straight year at least one Mustang has earned the honor.
TMU’s Forrar Keeps Streak of Women’s Basketball All-Americans Alive
Valencia-based Paseo Aquatics managed to finish in the top 15 out of 90 other clubs at the Southern California Swim 14 and Under Short Course Junior Olympic Championships last weekend.
Paseo Aquatics Finishes in Top 15 at Junior Olympics in Pasadena
Calvin Estrada and Josh Arkin both hit homers and starter Eddie Rosales tossed seven strong innings to help propel College of the Canyons to a 4-2 home conference victory over Barstow College at Cougar Field on Tuesday.
Canyons Picks Up 4-2 Win Over Barstow
California High Court Rules Colleges Must Protect Students
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, March 27, starting at 1 p.m.
March 27: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The SCV Senior Center has created the "2nd Career Center" to assist seniors who would like to re-enter the workforce, and the first "Job Club" meeting is set for Wednesday, March 28 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
March 28: SCV Senior Center ‘2nd Career’ Job Club Meeting
The California Air Resources Board today adopted a regulation prohibiting the use of specific refrigerants known as hydrofluorocarbons, powerful chemicals that trap heat in the atmosphere at a rate thousands of times that of carbon dioxide.
California Acts to Limit Powerful Climate-Changing Chemicals
The SCV Man and Woman of the Year honor is awarded annually to individuals who have given many years of outstanding volunteer service to charitable organizations throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Man, Woman of Year to be Named May 11; Tickets on Sale
1886 - Film director Robert N. Bradbury born in Washington state; launched John Wayne's career in Placerita Canyon [watch]
Homicide investigators from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are dedicated to solving murders and putting suspects behind bars.
Canyon Country Man One of Two Arrested for 2017 Palmdale Stabbing Death
Asteady downpour and gray skies couldn't keep 44 chili chefs and a crowd of hungry guests away from Tuesday's Charity Chili Cook-off at Wolf Creek Brewery in Valencia.
Rainy-day Chili Warms the Heart for School Libraries
For 30 maybe 40 minutes after The Master's University returned to it locker room inside the bowels of Municipal Auditorium, Lawrence Russell sat at his locker.
NAIA Men’s Basketball All-Americans Include 3 Mustangs
The list of California State University, Northridge’s Distinguished Alumni Awards recipients is diverse and dynamic. In keeping with that theme, the university is adding three highly accomplished honorees from three different walks of life to the list in April.
CSUN Announces Recipients of Distinguished Alumni Awards
Enjoy a scenic ride through the Heritage Valley where the fragrance of orange and lemon blossoms are delightful, April 1, at 12:00 p.m on Fillmore & Western Railway's Easter Lunch Train.
April 1: Fillmore & Western Railway’s Easter Lunch Train
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a Study Session Monday, March 26, at 6:30 p.m.
March 26: Arts Commission Study Session
Barnes & Noble Valencia will be holding a Children's Story Time event, Saturday, March 31 from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
March 31: ‘Ernest Hummingbird’ Book Reading, Signing at Barnes & Noble
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting. There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.
April 21: Foster/Foster-Adopt a Child Information Meeting
The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) continues to staff emergency shelters for animals and respond to requests for assistance due to the rainstorm event.
County Providing Emergency Animal Services During Storm
After a lengthy, valleywide search, the Newhall Family Theatre for the Performing Arts is proud to announce its inaugural Board of Directors.
Newhall Family Theatre Announces Inaugural Board of Directors
Acting on a motion by Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board voted unanimously to consider building on the success of a pilot program that deployed two outreach teams along the Red Line to help homeless individuals aboard buses and trains, and in and around transit stations, obtain housing and other services.
Homeless Outreach Pilot Program Demonstrating its Worth
The Parkinson’s Foundation (PF) will host its annual Moving Day North LA, A Walk for Parkinson’s on April 28 during National Parkinson’s Disease (PD) Awareness Month.
April 28: Moving Day North LA Walk for Parkinson’s
There are still a few days left to purchase tickets and be eligible to win a brand new car, a 2018 Chevy Cruze, MSRP $22,385.
March 26: Deadline to Purchase WiSH Foundation’s Win a Car Tickets
Mandatory evacuations of the 8300 block to the 9000 block of La Tuna Canyon remain in effect. The following picture, taken one mile north of the 8300 block of La Tuna Canyon, is within the area that has been evacuated. No structures were damaged due to the erosion of this hillside.
Storm Causes Hillside Erosion in La Tuna Canyon Burn Area
When Master's coach Jason Semelsberger explained that his team finished in 11th place on Tuesday in large part because of a loaded field, it wasn't a throwaway line meant to make the Mustangs feel better or to pacify their fans. It was the truth.
Mustangs Hang Tough in Competitive Field
SACRAMENTO - Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley on Wednesday introduced a senate resolution - Senate Resolution 96 - calling on the federal government to stop, once and for all, the proposed Cemex mega-mine near Santa Clarita and bring an end to a decades old battle between residents and the multinational conglomerate.
Wilk Bill Calls on Feds to End Cemex Mega-Mine