Sunny
Sunny

October 21-22
2007 - Buckweed fire chars 38,000 acres, destroys 21 homes in Canyon Country and Agua Dulce [story]

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are searching for a suspect who apparently shot a man in Canyon Country.

Suspect Kenneth Mitchelle, 26, allegedly shot Alondo Preston, 26, in a drive-by shooting Friday morning, said SCV Sheriff’s Station Spokeswoman Shirley Miller.

“This was not a random shooting. The suspect and victim know each other,” Miller said. “The suspect and victim have a personal conflict.”

Canyon-Country-ShootingThe suspect is still at large as of 3:30 p.m. Friday is believed to be driving a four-door silver sedan, Miller said. Detectives and deputies are continuing to search for the suspect.

The call came in to the 18000 block of American Beauty Drive in Canyon Country at 8 a.m. Friday, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the SCV Sheriff’s Station.

A field sergeant in the area was flagged down by people surrounding Preston, Miller said. A woman was attempting to render aid to Preston.

Preston suffered from a gunshot wound to the left leg and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, Los Angeles County Fire Department officials said.

Preston underwent surgery and is now recovering, Miller said.

Sheriff’s deputies are continuing to search for a suspect and investigate in the incident, Hahnlein said.

1. Robert King Robert King says:

When did the AV move to SCV?

2. Not surprised! It is the ABCs after all!

3. Omg, that’s why there were cops this morning by the main entrance Connie Ojeda

4. What is happening to our town!!!’

5. Straight Outta Santa Clarita Valley ?

6. There is violence everywhere people are. Get used to it.

• Doug Henslee Doug Henslee says:

You have lived in the scv since, say, 1990?
      There wasn’t this kind of problem in the valley then.

• Lol I’ve live here since 2008, born in 1985, however I have lived in 5 different states all in different parts of the country and people are ALL the same everywhere. P.s. don’t assume, you make an ass out of me and u

• I lived in the American beauty condos most of my life,
      Heck yeah there was this kind of problem. I was worse in my opinion, just not publicized. Also didn’t reach as many because Facebook wasn’t around to make it so easy for people to feed off of the world’s misfortune.

7. It’s happening because of all those cheap rental apts and sec8

• Karen Spencer Navarro says:

Where does it make sense that poor people automatically are more prone to be criminals? Being poor doesn’t mean u automatically commit crimes.
      There are wealthy people committing crimes too.
      How about every town is going to have a percentage of the total population of people that commit crimes!

• Debbie. You have guns too. Its not because of Sec8 housing or people renting apartments. Its idiots like you afraid of the real world, hoarding guns because you are a coward then snapping whenever someone makes you angry.

• If you really look at crime in this valley, it grows with the growth of the population. It isn’t as bad as the valley because we have a good police force here that works hard 24-7 to solve crime and prevent it. 3,000 new homes planned near sand canyon, apts going in by Golden valley rd. hundreds more residents, crime goes up the same percentage. Blame it on social media too. We find out more than we use too. Maybe ignorance is bliss.😊

• Statistics clearly show crime comes with poverty.

• Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

The dude looks like he’s got horse shi T for ears

• What apartments would those be because I’ve called park Sierra, river park, colonies, Sierra cyn, river ranch, the oaks, sand cyn ECT….and none of them except section 8

• River ranch is the only apartment complex who offers a low income program to qualifying families starting @ 1,200 for a two bedroom

• That’s a stupid statement.I lived there for four years…many people own their units and not many are section 8…It got a bad rap but when we were there the sheriff dept. made several visits to just make their presence known and many of the drug dealers moved out.No matter where you live or what your race or income is drug related crime is everywhere …SCV,SFV….SO Cal…..NO Cal. And so on.I have been just about homeless due to a disability and never once did I think of stealing or selling drugs…….it’s character and morals ……survival in this economy is tough but it is possible to do it legally .

• American Beauty is a complex that is not owned by a single entity corp.They are all individually owned and it is up to the owner to except section 8. Section 8 is not easy to get,waiting lists are closed and people on those lists wait 5-8 years to get a voucher .

8. If you’ve lived under a rock or your blind to anything besides yourself then this is new to you! And to those people I say… Welcome to the real SCV! It’s not clean cut, it’s not pretty, it’s not safe, and it is most definitely not “Awesome Town”! If you were to sit down and talk to my generation (I’m 26 btw!) you would never want to live here… SCV may have its bright spots but it is a dark place to live! And has been for a long LONG time!

• Wrong. My generation disagrees with you. I’m 37. The SCV has gotten bad and it wasn’t like that before.

• Well Dennis Slater we ain’t living in the 80’s when it was all dirt road and horses so get over yourself and stop living in the past

• I’m with Dennis I’m 35 born and raised here and have watched it go down hill

• Get over myself? I stated the facts that the DCB wasnt like this before. That has nothing to do with me. Sorry if the facts bother you.

• That fact of the matter is the SCV has turned in to crap. Its very sad as it used to be the second safest city in the country and a good place to raise kids.

• I hear about a Suicide every month and Kids on Heroin….it’s crazy but no one likes to talk about it because the Property Value will go down. The Landscaping is beautiful and so is the mall but there is a lot of sadness and neglect going on

• I moved here in 1987 from the San Fernando Valley because I had a baby and it was so unsafe for me and my baby to even go for a walk.Back then SCV was The safest city to live in .Soledad was the only street that got you across the valley.Things were pretty nice back then.We lived off Sand Cyn.My boys went to Mitchell ,Sierra Vista then all graduated from Cyn .They played Baseball,my youngest was on the California State Champion Football team..my point is I kept my kids busy and involved.We were far from rich but I stayed involved and they had no,time to find any trouble.Off to college they went …good ones at that and never came back.This town is like any other if you live somewhere long enough your bubble gets burst,reality sets in and you just have to live right..avoid the negative and don’t let your kids raise themselves ….I understand most family’s have two working parents or a single parent but my boys went to school from 7-4 during sport season and my youngest played football and was gone from 7-8 pm at times….no time,too tired to get into trouble.SCV is a heck of lot better than the AV. Or the SFV…move to No Cal. or to,the mid west because every city has its drugs ,robberies and murders.

• Kelly you have the smartest reply I’ve read so far.

• It bugs me to here people complain about where they live,either help make a change by becoming active in your community ,raise your children instead of letting them raise themselves or move…negativity is not activity it just is the easy way to sound like a victim.

• If my “old” memory serves me correctly….we had paved roads and cars in the 80’s. I’ve lived all over the place…my parents moved out here in 85…and I was back and forth between to different places due to their divorce….and we had crime back then too….but it wasn’t as blatant…because our parents disciplined us….we were required to have respect for our teachers,cops & parents….Eileen your comment is very ignorant!

9. Josh Shannon Josh Shannon says:

Geez what the hell is going on in my hometown… I’m glad I don’t live there anymore!

10. I’ve lived in every single section of SCV over the last 20 years. Every area has crime, drugs and mayhem. Even Valencia. One of my neighbors was shot outside of her house by her ex then he killed himself, one of my clients child was almost abducted while walking to school!!! All in Valencia. Saugus has crime, CC has crime, newhall has crime, castaic, etc…I’ve lived in them all.

11. Lacey Perry did you see this?!

12. If you build it they will come more people more problems this is not Iowa BAHAHAHA and they knew it before you did.

13. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Heroin is what’s happening to your town welcome to the world of corporate opiate Costco addictions being replace the good ol fashion smack

14. Jason Fox Jason Fox says:

Get rid off Jakes way and 90% of the crime will go away

15. The ABC’s, I’m sure

16. Cuz I was there this am, saw the guy on the ground and cops zooming to the scene ..blocked the whole complex, sad but i was just minding my own business recycling like I normally do. Smh

17. Roberta Rock Roberta Rock says:

Kwik Ink Silk Screen Designs, Joel Spunt, Next to the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge #2173 and across from the office.

18. I’m moving to south central, I hear their all moving here

19. sad to see the anger of one would lead to the harm of another

20. Larry Lopez Larry Lopez says:

What is going on out there!

21. Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

Do you guys realize how stupid you sound saying SCV is some dark place full of crime. Move to a city like Bakersfield or Lancaster for a couple years and you’ll be running back to SCV. I grew up in Bakersfield and have lived in SCV for 4 years. The crime here is laughable.

• Or they can come to work with me on a Friday night in North Hills??

• North hills/Roscoe/405/Langdon ave. You know it

• Don Hoffman Don Hoffman says:

I lived in the “Good” part of Palmdale and almost any part of the SCV is better than that…. Maybe not Jakes Way..

• Your saying that people being shot, home invasions, stabbings and children being abducted is “laughable”. I also lived in Palmdale, bako as well as the valley and SCV….crime is everywhere….but it’s not laughable…that’s such an inappropriate comment to make!!

• Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

What’s laughable is your lack of knowledge. 90% of the shootings here are suicide or domestic violence related. So if you think it’s a dangerous city look in the mirror or at your spouse. You obviously didn’t spend enough time anywhere else to know the difference. The crimes here are relatively minor. Look at demographics and you’ll be hard pressed to find a city with a lower crime rate. You won’t find a city without crime but to say it’s dangerous here is silly.

22. My boys all went to canyon ,played sports ended up going to UC schools and all moved away.Thank goodness they got out.The problem is with the kids that never leave….

23. Wahhhh drive by when did cc become the hood

24. You know Santa Clarita is #1 in suicide rates in CA, and heroin is big in Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. More people more problems rich or poor. Ignorance should be a crime.

25. Chuck Giglio Chuck Giglio says:

Guy got pissed at his buddy and shot him in the leg, what’s the big deal?…Ok, well maybe he should of just kicked him in the knee…

26. Santa clarita was cowboy country for years….then greed took over and so did the development. 20 years ago there were 13 registered gangs in SCV. Yet, some call it Awesome town. The truth is that there are safer places to live with a higher quality of life , and worse places too. None of this should come as a Suprise to us as we know that the MEDIA controls the masses. Godspeed

27. Mike says:

Why isn’t a mug shot of the shooter posted so the public can report if seen? Chances law enforcement has a mug shot if they know who the shooter is.

28. Jakes way is better then any part of av

29. Teresa Holguin Quintero I beg to differ with you on that one….I used to live off Jake’s way any years ago….we didn’t have a lot of problems then …until people stopped respecting others and trash started moving in….I’ve also lived in Palmdale…even the “nice part of Palmdale” and I would still rather take my chances on Jake’s way!

Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat alert as high temperatures have been forecast for the Los Angeles Basin on Monday, October 23 through Tuesday, October 24.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
Caltrans added nearly 1,200 lane miles of pavement repair and 66 bridges to its growing list of projects to be delivered sooner than planned, thanks to the imminent influx of revenue from the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017 (SB 1), the transportation funding and reform package passed in April.
Friday, Oct 20, 2017
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Crime Prevention deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station along with Los Angeles County Probation Department officers conducted probation compliance searches Friday throughout the Santa Clarita Valley.

Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a sexual assault suspect was arrested Thursday night. Plus, some great weekend events. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 20, 2017
Forever Fit SCV, a Santa Clarita sports and personal fitness training company, will host a "Pumpkin Workout" at its Centre Pointe location on Saturday, October 28, starting at 9 a.m.
Oct. 25: Pumpkin Workout Benefits American Cancer Society
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Oct. 25 at 7 p.m.
Oct. 25: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
The LA County Public Defender has won the Silver Eagle Award for its Public Defender Jail Liaison Program during the 31st Annual Productivity and Quality Awards Ceremony on Oct. 18 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
LA County Public Defender Soars with Silver Eagle Award
Heat Alert for SCV, L.A. County on Monday, Tuesday
The Academy Museum of Motion Pictures has received three major gifts toward the creation of the museum in Los Angeles, bringing fundraising to more than $300M, nearly 80 percent of its $388M campaign goal.
Motion Picture Museum Nears $388M Campaign Goal
Nearly $3.4 Billion in Transportation Projects to Be Accelerated
The city of Santa Clarita and SCV Veterans Memorial, Inc. invite the public to attend a special ceremony unveiling the new Fallen Warriors Monument at Veterans Historical Plaza in Newhall on Wednesday, November 8 starting at 10 a.m.
Nov. 8: City Unveils Fallen Warriors Monument in Newhall
SCV Deputies Check Probationers, Aid in Domestic Violence Call
Here is the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff Station's public safety report for Canyon Country (West), aka Zone 7, for October 2 through October 8, 2017
Crime Blotter: Robbery, Grand Theft in Canyon Country West
A suspect has been arrested in the investigation of an alleged sexual assault, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station officials.
Suspect Arrested in Alleged Sexual Assault
Motor vehicle collisions are the leading cause of death for teens in the United States and a concern the California Highway Patrol addresses with its "Start Smart" program.
CHP Helps New Drivers with ‘Start Smart’ Classes
The California High-Speed Rail Authority punted one of the most important decisions during its monthly meeting Thursday, stoking concerns the entity is not moving quickly enough on the $64 billion project.
California’s Bullet Train Board Delays Award of Key Contract
An extensive investigation by the county of Los Angeles Department of Consumer and Business Affairs in conjunction with the office of California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has resulted in a lawsuit announced today by the Attorney General against retailer Curacao.
AG Sues Retailer Curacao for Allegedly Preying on Consumers
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and J.T. Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]
CHESTERFIELD, MO — NewGround, a St. Louis-based experiential design-build firm, recently teamed up with Logix Federal Credit Union to work on a large scale facility project, a new corporate headquarters building for the full-service credit union in the Burbank, California area.
Valencia Will Soon be Home to Logix Federal Credit Union Headquarters
The CSUN women's volleyball team (10-9, 4-3 Big West) opens the second half of the Big West season this week as the Matadors head up the coast this week for road tests at No. 23 Cal Poly (17-2, 7-0 Big West) and UC Santa Barbara (4-15, 3-4 Big West). CSUN, coming off a tough five-set loss to Hawai'i at home, is 3-4 in seven road matches this season but has won two of three Big West road contests.
Matadors Volleyball Testing Their Skills on the Road
No. 5 College of the Canyons defeated L.A. Mission College 3-0 on Wednesday to earn its eighth consecutive match and fifth straight sweep. Set scores were 25-15, 25-11, and 25-20.
Cougars Volleyball Earns Fifth Straight Sweep
CSUN Women's Soccer (7-4-5, 3-1-1 BWC) looks to move up in the Big West standings this week as it hosts UC Irvine on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
Matadors Get Ready for Big West Matchups
Behind Julio Rubio's goal in the 11th minute CSUN defeated UC Riverside 1-0 in Big West Conference men's soccer action Wednesday night.
Matadors Lone Goal Enough to Hold Off UC Riverside
Northridge, CA – CSUN Athletics officially opened its new satellite athletic training facility on Thursday at an event featuring Athletic Director Dr. Brandon Martin, Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer Steven Grech, student-athletes, coaches, staff and campus partners.
Matadors Student-Athletes Welcome New Training Facility
Want unique gifts and a shopping experience unlike any other?
Nov. 18-19: City’s Annual Two-Day Fine Craft Show
City officials gathered Wednesday for the Grand Opening of "Three Oaks," the first 100 percent affordable family development in Santa Clarita.
Affordable Housing Comes to Santa Clarita
The Gibbon Conservation Center will celebrate Halloween for the first time on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Oct. 28: Gibbon Conservation Center Celebrates First Halloween
California State University, Northridge is partnering with the California State University Entertainment Alliance to host a morning of workshops designed to offer students and members of the public advice on building successful careers in the entertainment industry.
Oct. 23: CSUN Workshop; Succeeding in Entertainment Industry
Spotlight Arts Center, a local non-profit that provides free performing and visual arts classes to children in the Santa Clarita Valley, will hold its Fall Festival, Sunday, Oct. 22 from 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Oct. 22: Fall Festival Spotlight Arts Center
The College of the Canyons Athletics department is inviting all players, coaches and cheerleaders associated with a Santa Clarita Valley youth sports league or cheer organization to attend Saturday's Cougar football game free of charge.
Oct. 21: SCV Youth Teams Invited to Free COC Football Game
College of the Canyons freshmen Joanna Roecker and Cassandra Lee both turned in scores of 79 to lead the Cougars to a second place team finish at the Western State Conference (WSC) event hosted by Glendale College at Brookside Golf Course on Monday.
COC Falls Short at WSC Glendale
Beginning Monday, October 23, 2017, the city of Santa Clarita will increase the frequency of street sweeping throughout all areas of the City.
Oct. 23: City Begins Increased Street Sweeping Frequency
In a battle for Western State Conference, East Division supremacy, it was College of the Canyons that came out on top Tuesday night, as the Cougars scored two second half goals to secure a 2-0 win against visiting Antelope Valley College. Justine Hoeft and Jennifer Roney collected goals for the Cougars (11-2, 2-0).
COC Secures Win Against AVC With Two Second-Half Goals
The upcoming 10-year anniversary of the Buckweed Fires offers Santa Clarita residents a reminder of the ever-present fire danger in Los Angeles County, as blazes ravage the northern half of the state, as well.
Officials Reflect on 10-Year Anniversary of Buckweed Fires
Deputies from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station, with help from a Smartphone GPS system, were able to locate a lost hiker Wednesday night at Towsley Canyon.
Smartphone GPS Locates Lost Towsley Canyon Hiker
Dreamation Craft Guild will be hosting a boutique at Canyon High School, Nov. 18, from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. to benefit the family of John Phippen, the Santa Clarita resident who was killed in the Las Vegas shooting.
Nov. 18: Holiday Marketplace Benefiting John Phippen Family
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – To ensure drivers, passengers, and children are properly restrained while traveling California’s roadways, the California Highway Patrol (CHP) has partnered with the California Office of Traffic Safety on a new traffic safety campaign entitled, “California Restraint Safety Education And Training” (CARSEAT).
CHP’s New Traffic Safety Campaign Focuses on Saving Lives, Reducing Injuries