Mostly clear
Mostly clear

July 19
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are searching for a suspect who apparently shot a man in Canyon Country.

Suspect Kenneth Mitchelle, 26, allegedly shot Alondo Preston, 26, in a drive-by shooting Friday morning, said SCV Sheriff’s Station Spokeswoman Shirley Miller.

“This was not a random shooting. The suspect and victim know each other,” Miller said. “The suspect and victim have a personal conflict.”

Canyon-Country-ShootingThe suspect is still at large as of 3:30 p.m. Friday is believed to be driving a four-door silver sedan, Miller said. Detectives and deputies are continuing to search for the suspect.

The call came in to the 18000 block of American Beauty Drive in Canyon Country at 8 a.m. Friday, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the SCV Sheriff’s Station.

A field sergeant in the area was flagged down by people surrounding Preston, Miller said. A woman was attempting to render aid to Preston.

Preston suffered from a gunshot wound to the left leg and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, Los Angeles County Fire Department officials said.

Preston underwent surgery and is now recovering, Miller said.

Sheriff’s deputies are continuing to search for a suspect and investigate in the incident, Hahnlein said.

1. Robert King Robert King says:

When did the AV move to SCV?

2. Not surprised! It is the ABCs after all!

3. Omg, that’s why there were cops this morning by the main entrance Connie Ojeda

4. What is happening to our town!!!’

5. Straight Outta Santa Clarita Valley ?

6. There is violence everywhere people are. Get used to it.

• Doug Henslee Doug Henslee says:

You have lived in the scv since, say, 1990?
      There wasn’t this kind of problem in the valley then.

• Lol I’ve live here since 2008, born in 1985, however I have lived in 5 different states all in different parts of the country and people are ALL the same everywhere. P.s. don’t assume, you make an ass out of me and u

• I lived in the American beauty condos most of my life,
      Heck yeah there was this kind of problem. I was worse in my opinion, just not publicized. Also didn’t reach as many because Facebook wasn’t around to make it so easy for people to feed off of the world’s misfortune.

7. It’s happening because of all those cheap rental apts and sec8

• Karen Spencer Navarro says:

Where does it make sense that poor people automatically are more prone to be criminals? Being poor doesn’t mean u automatically commit crimes.
      There are wealthy people committing crimes too.
      How about every town is going to have a percentage of the total population of people that commit crimes!

• Debbie. You have guns too. Its not because of Sec8 housing or people renting apartments. Its idiots like you afraid of the real world, hoarding guns because you are a coward then snapping whenever someone makes you angry.

• If you really look at crime in this valley, it grows with the growth of the population. It isn’t as bad as the valley because we have a good police force here that works hard 24-7 to solve crime and prevent it. 3,000 new homes planned near sand canyon, apts going in by Golden valley rd. hundreds more residents, crime goes up the same percentage. Blame it on social media too. We find out more than we use too. Maybe ignorance is bliss.😊

• Statistics clearly show crime comes with poverty.

• Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

The dude looks like he’s got horse shi T for ears

• What apartments would those be because I’ve called park Sierra, river park, colonies, Sierra cyn, river ranch, the oaks, sand cyn ECT….and none of them except section 8

• River ranch is the only apartment complex who offers a low income program to qualifying families starting @ 1,200 for a two bedroom

• That’s a stupid statement.I lived there for four years…many people own their units and not many are section 8…It got a bad rap but when we were there the sheriff dept. made several visits to just make their presence known and many of the drug dealers moved out.No matter where you live or what your race or income is drug related crime is everywhere …SCV,SFV….SO Cal…..NO Cal. And so on.I have been just about homeless due to a disability and never once did I think of stealing or selling drugs…….it’s character and morals ……survival in this economy is tough but it is possible to do it legally .

• American Beauty is a complex that is not owned by a single entity corp.They are all individually owned and it is up to the owner to except section 8. Section 8 is not easy to get,waiting lists are closed and people on those lists wait 5-8 years to get a voucher .

8. If you’ve lived under a rock or your blind to anything besides yourself then this is new to you! And to those people I say… Welcome to the real SCV! It’s not clean cut, it’s not pretty, it’s not safe, and it is most definitely not “Awesome Town”! If you were to sit down and talk to my generation (I’m 26 btw!) you would never want to live here… SCV may have its bright spots but it is a dark place to live! And has been for a long LONG time!

• Wrong. My generation disagrees with you. I’m 37. The SCV has gotten bad and it wasn’t like that before.

• Well Dennis Slater we ain’t living in the 80’s when it was all dirt road and horses so get over yourself and stop living in the past

• I’m with Dennis I’m 35 born and raised here and have watched it go down hill

• Get over myself? I stated the facts that the DCB wasnt like this before. That has nothing to do with me. Sorry if the facts bother you.

• That fact of the matter is the SCV has turned in to crap. Its very sad as it used to be the second safest city in the country and a good place to raise kids.

• I hear about a Suicide every month and Kids on Heroin….it’s crazy but no one likes to talk about it because the Property Value will go down. The Landscaping is beautiful and so is the mall but there is a lot of sadness and neglect going on

• I moved here in 1987 from the San Fernando Valley because I had a baby and it was so unsafe for me and my baby to even go for a walk.Back then SCV was The safest city to live in .Soledad was the only street that got you across the valley.Things were pretty nice back then.We lived off Sand Cyn.My boys went to Mitchell ,Sierra Vista then all graduated from Cyn .They played Baseball,my youngest was on the California State Champion Football team..my point is I kept my kids busy and involved.We were far from rich but I stayed involved and they had no,time to find any trouble.Off to college they went …good ones at that and never came back.This town is like any other if you live somewhere long enough your bubble gets burst,reality sets in and you just have to live right..avoid the negative and don’t let your kids raise themselves ….I understand most family’s have two working parents or a single parent but my boys went to school from 7-4 during sport season and my youngest played football and was gone from 7-8 pm at times….no time,too tired to get into trouble.SCV is a heck of lot better than the AV. Or the SFV…move to No Cal. or to,the mid west because every city has its drugs ,robberies and murders.

• Kelly you have the smartest reply I’ve read so far.

• It bugs me to here people complain about where they live,either help make a change by becoming active in your community ,raise your children instead of letting them raise themselves or move…negativity is not activity it just is the easy way to sound like a victim.

• If my “old” memory serves me correctly….we had paved roads and cars in the 80’s. I’ve lived all over the place…my parents moved out here in 85…and I was back and forth between to different places due to their divorce….and we had crime back then too….but it wasn’t as blatant…because our parents disciplined us….we were required to have respect for our teachers,cops & parents….Eileen your comment is very ignorant!

9. Josh Shannon Josh Shannon says:

Geez what the hell is going on in my hometown… I’m glad I don’t live there anymore!

10. I’ve lived in every single section of SCV over the last 20 years. Every area has crime, drugs and mayhem. Even Valencia. One of my neighbors was shot outside of her house by her ex then he killed himself, one of my clients child was almost abducted while walking to school!!! All in Valencia. Saugus has crime, CC has crime, newhall has crime, castaic, etc…I’ve lived in them all.

11. Lacey Perry did you see this?!

12. If you build it they will come more people more problems this is not Iowa BAHAHAHA and they knew it before you did.

13. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Heroin is what’s happening to your town welcome to the world of corporate opiate Costco addictions being replace the good ol fashion smack

14. Jason Fox Jason Fox says:

Get rid off Jakes way and 90% of the crime will go away

15. The ABC’s, I’m sure

16. Cuz I was there this am, saw the guy on the ground and cops zooming to the scene ..blocked the whole complex, sad but i was just minding my own business recycling like I normally do. Smh

17. Roberta Rock Roberta Rock says:

Kwik Ink Silk Screen Designs, Joel Spunt, Next to the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge #2173 and across from the office.

18. I’m moving to south central, I hear their all moving here

19. sad to see the anger of one would lead to the harm of another

20. Larry Lopez Larry Lopez says:

What is going on out there!

21. Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

Do you guys realize how stupid you sound saying SCV is some dark place full of crime. Move to a city like Bakersfield or Lancaster for a couple years and you’ll be running back to SCV. I grew up in Bakersfield and have lived in SCV for 4 years. The crime here is laughable.

• Or they can come to work with me on a Friday night in North Hills??

• North hills/Roscoe/405/Langdon ave. You know it

• Don Hoffman Don Hoffman says:

I lived in the “Good” part of Palmdale and almost any part of the SCV is better than that…. Maybe not Jakes Way..

• Your saying that people being shot, home invasions, stabbings and children being abducted is “laughable”. I also lived in Palmdale, bako as well as the valley and SCV….crime is everywhere….but it’s not laughable…that’s such an inappropriate comment to make!!

• Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

What’s laughable is your lack of knowledge. 90% of the shootings here are suicide or domestic violence related. So if you think it’s a dangerous city look in the mirror or at your spouse. You obviously didn’t spend enough time anywhere else to know the difference. The crimes here are relatively minor. Look at demographics and you’ll be hard pressed to find a city with a lower crime rate. You won’t find a city without crime but to say it’s dangerous here is silly.

22. My boys all went to canyon ,played sports ended up going to UC schools and all moved away.Thank goodness they got out.The problem is with the kids that never leave….

23. Wahhhh drive by when did cc become the hood

24. You know Santa Clarita is #1 in suicide rates in CA, and heroin is big in Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. More people more problems rich or poor. Ignorance should be a crime.

25. Chuck Giglio Chuck Giglio says:

Guy got pissed at his buddy and shot him in the leg, what’s the big deal?…Ok, well maybe he should of just kicked him in the knee…

26. Santa clarita was cowboy country for years….then greed took over and so did the development. 20 years ago there were 13 registered gangs in SCV. Yet, some call it Awesome town. The truth is that there are safer places to live with a higher quality of life , and worse places too. None of this should come as a Suprise to us as we know that the MEDIA controls the masses. Godspeed

27. Mike says:

Why isn’t a mug shot of the shooter posted so the public can report if seen? Chances law enforcement has a mug shot if they know who the shooter is.

28. Jakes way is better then any part of av

29. Teresa Holguin Quintero I beg to differ with you on that one….I used to live off Jake’s way any years ago….we didn’t have a lot of problems then …until people stopped respecting others and trash started moving in….I’ve also lived in Palmdale…even the “nice part of Palmdale” and I would still rather take my chances on Jake’s way!

Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.

More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream
The Sierra Hillbillies Square & Round Dance Club will throw a good old-fashioned picnic and dance to the calls of Jay Henderson at the SCV Senior Center on Sunday, August 5 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sierra Hillbillies Set 2 Dances for August, September
A Spring Valley, California woman was arrested and charged for evading and resisting arrest on southbound Interstate 5 in Valencia late Tuesday night after a pursuit by the California Highway Patrol, according to the CHP.
CHP Pursuit Ends With Arrest of Woman on I-5 in Valencia
If you are a member of the U.S. House of Representatives with a private prison in your district, you are also more likely than your peers to co-sponsor punitive immigration legislation, according to a groundbreaking study by California State University, Northridge political science professor Jason Morin.
CSUN Study: Private Prison Operators Influencing Immigration Policy
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies handed out 25 traffic citations during a motorcycle safety enforcement operation in Santa Clarita on Saturday.
SCV Deputies Hand Out 25 Traffic Tickets in Safety Push
A Santa Clarita bank robbery suspect dubbed by the FBI as the "Faux Badge Bandit" is now also suspected of robbing banks in Northern California, according to authorities.
‘Faux Badge Bandit’ Also a Suspect in NoCal Bank Heists
A Ninth Circuit panel on Tuesday affirmed a federal judge’s order preliminarily barring California from enforcing a voter-approved ban on high-capacity gun magazines.
Ninth Circuit Upholds Block of California Gun Magazine Ban
The California Department of Motor Vehicles now offers customers a convenient way to complete a driver license or identification card application online before visiting a field office.
DMV Debuts Online Application for Driver License, State ID Card
2009 - Two killed in crash of experimental plane in Sand Canyon [NTSB report]
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Casts Lone Vote Against Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness
Officials at the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner have identified the body of a man who was found in a Canyon Country field Monday night.
Man Found Dead in Canyon Country