Sunny
Sunny

December 17
1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are searching for a suspect who apparently shot a man in Canyon Country.

Suspect Kenneth Mitchelle, 26, allegedly shot Alondo Preston, 26, in a drive-by shooting Friday morning, said SCV Sheriff’s Station Spokeswoman Shirley Miller.

“This was not a random shooting. The suspect and victim know each other,” Miller said. “The suspect and victim have a personal conflict.”

Canyon-Country-ShootingThe suspect is still at large as of 3:30 p.m. Friday is believed to be driving a four-door silver sedan, Miller said. Detectives and deputies are continuing to search for the suspect.

The call came in to the 18000 block of American Beauty Drive in Canyon Country at 8 a.m. Friday, said Lt. Rob Hahnlein with the SCV Sheriff’s Station.

A field sergeant in the area was flagged down by people surrounding Preston, Miller said. A woman was attempting to render aid to Preston.

Preston suffered from a gunshot wound to the left leg and was transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital, Los Angeles County Fire Department officials said.

Preston underwent surgery and is now recovering, Miller said.

Sheriff’s deputies are continuing to search for a suspect and investigate in the incident, Hahnlein said.

1. Robert King Robert King says:

When did the AV move to SCV?

2. Not surprised! It is the ABCs after all!

3. Omg, that’s why there were cops this morning by the main entrance Connie Ojeda

4. What is happening to our town!!!’

5. Straight Outta Santa Clarita Valley ?

6. There is violence everywhere people are. Get used to it.

• Doug Henslee Doug Henslee says:

You have lived in the scv since, say, 1990?
      There wasn’t this kind of problem in the valley then.

• Lol I’ve live here since 2008, born in 1985, however I have lived in 5 different states all in different parts of the country and people are ALL the same everywhere. P.s. don’t assume, you make an ass out of me and u

• I lived in the American beauty condos most of my life,
      Heck yeah there was this kind of problem. I was worse in my opinion, just not publicized. Also didn’t reach as many because Facebook wasn’t around to make it so easy for people to feed off of the world’s misfortune.

7. It’s happening because of all those cheap rental apts and sec8

• Karen Spencer Navarro says:

Where does it make sense that poor people automatically are more prone to be criminals? Being poor doesn’t mean u automatically commit crimes.
      There are wealthy people committing crimes too.
      How about every town is going to have a percentage of the total population of people that commit crimes!

• Debbie. You have guns too. Its not because of Sec8 housing or people renting apartments. Its idiots like you afraid of the real world, hoarding guns because you are a coward then snapping whenever someone makes you angry.

• If you really look at crime in this valley, it grows with the growth of the population. It isn’t as bad as the valley because we have a good police force here that works hard 24-7 to solve crime and prevent it. 3,000 new homes planned near sand canyon, apts going in by Golden valley rd. hundreds more residents, crime goes up the same percentage. Blame it on social media too. We find out more than we use too. Maybe ignorance is bliss.😊

• Statistics clearly show crime comes with poverty.

• Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

The dude looks like he’s got horse shi T for ears

• What apartments would those be because I’ve called park Sierra, river park, colonies, Sierra cyn, river ranch, the oaks, sand cyn ECT….and none of them except section 8

• River ranch is the only apartment complex who offers a low income program to qualifying families starting @ 1,200 for a two bedroom

• That’s a stupid statement.I lived there for four years…many people own their units and not many are section 8…It got a bad rap but when we were there the sheriff dept. made several visits to just make their presence known and many of the drug dealers moved out.No matter where you live or what your race or income is drug related crime is everywhere …SCV,SFV….SO Cal…..NO Cal. And so on.I have been just about homeless due to a disability and never once did I think of stealing or selling drugs…….it’s character and morals ……survival in this economy is tough but it is possible to do it legally .

• American Beauty is a complex that is not owned by a single entity corp.They are all individually owned and it is up to the owner to except section 8. Section 8 is not easy to get,waiting lists are closed and people on those lists wait 5-8 years to get a voucher .

8. If you’ve lived under a rock or your blind to anything besides yourself then this is new to you! And to those people I say… Welcome to the real SCV! It’s not clean cut, it’s not pretty, it’s not safe, and it is most definitely not “Awesome Town”! If you were to sit down and talk to my generation (I’m 26 btw!) you would never want to live here… SCV may have its bright spots but it is a dark place to live! And has been for a long LONG time!

• Wrong. My generation disagrees with you. I’m 37. The SCV has gotten bad and it wasn’t like that before.

• Well Dennis Slater we ain’t living in the 80’s when it was all dirt road and horses so get over yourself and stop living in the past

• I’m with Dennis I’m 35 born and raised here and have watched it go down hill

• Get over myself? I stated the facts that the DCB wasnt like this before. That has nothing to do with me. Sorry if the facts bother you.

• That fact of the matter is the SCV has turned in to crap. Its very sad as it used to be the second safest city in the country and a good place to raise kids.

• I hear about a Suicide every month and Kids on Heroin….it’s crazy but no one likes to talk about it because the Property Value will go down. The Landscaping is beautiful and so is the mall but there is a lot of sadness and neglect going on

• I moved here in 1987 from the San Fernando Valley because I had a baby and it was so unsafe for me and my baby to even go for a walk.Back then SCV was The safest city to live in .Soledad was the only street that got you across the valley.Things were pretty nice back then.We lived off Sand Cyn.My boys went to Mitchell ,Sierra Vista then all graduated from Cyn .They played Baseball,my youngest was on the California State Champion Football team..my point is I kept my kids busy and involved.We were far from rich but I stayed involved and they had no,time to find any trouble.Off to college they went …good ones at that and never came back.This town is like any other if you live somewhere long enough your bubble gets burst,reality sets in and you just have to live right..avoid the negative and don’t let your kids raise themselves ….I understand most family’s have two working parents or a single parent but my boys went to school from 7-4 during sport season and my youngest played football and was gone from 7-8 pm at times….no time,too tired to get into trouble.SCV is a heck of lot better than the AV. Or the SFV…move to No Cal. or to,the mid west because every city has its drugs ,robberies and murders.

• Kelly you have the smartest reply I’ve read so far.

• It bugs me to here people complain about where they live,either help make a change by becoming active in your community ,raise your children instead of letting them raise themselves or move…negativity is not activity it just is the easy way to sound like a victim.

• If my “old” memory serves me correctly….we had paved roads and cars in the 80’s. I’ve lived all over the place…my parents moved out here in 85…and I was back and forth between to different places due to their divorce….and we had crime back then too….but it wasn’t as blatant…because our parents disciplined us….we were required to have respect for our teachers,cops & parents….Eileen your comment is very ignorant!

9. Josh Shannon Josh Shannon says:

Geez what the hell is going on in my hometown… I’m glad I don’t live there anymore!

10. I’ve lived in every single section of SCV over the last 20 years. Every area has crime, drugs and mayhem. Even Valencia. One of my neighbors was shot outside of her house by her ex then he killed himself, one of my clients child was almost abducted while walking to school!!! All in Valencia. Saugus has crime, CC has crime, newhall has crime, castaic, etc…I’ve lived in them all.

11. Lacey Perry did you see this?!

12. If you build it they will come more people more problems this is not Iowa BAHAHAHA and they knew it before you did.

13. Tommy Rini Tommy Rini says:

Heroin is what’s happening to your town welcome to the world of corporate opiate Costco addictions being replace the good ol fashion smack

14. Jason Fox Jason Fox says:

Get rid off Jakes way and 90% of the crime will go away

15. The ABC’s, I’m sure

16. Cuz I was there this am, saw the guy on the ground and cops zooming to the scene ..blocked the whole complex, sad but i was just minding my own business recycling like I normally do. Smh

17. Roberta Rock Roberta Rock says:

Kwik Ink Silk Screen Designs, Joel Spunt, Next to the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge #2173 and across from the office.

18. I’m moving to south central, I hear their all moving here

19. sad to see the anger of one would lead to the harm of another

20. Larry Lopez Larry Lopez says:

What is going on out there!

21. Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

Do you guys realize how stupid you sound saying SCV is some dark place full of crime. Move to a city like Bakersfield or Lancaster for a couple years and you’ll be running back to SCV. I grew up in Bakersfield and have lived in SCV for 4 years. The crime here is laughable.

• Or they can come to work with me on a Friday night in North Hills??

• North hills/Roscoe/405/Langdon ave. You know it

• Don Hoffman Don Hoffman says:

I lived in the “Good” part of Palmdale and almost any part of the SCV is better than that…. Maybe not Jakes Way..

• Your saying that people being shot, home invasions, stabbings and children being abducted is “laughable”. I also lived in Palmdale, bako as well as the valley and SCV….crime is everywhere….but it’s not laughable…that’s such an inappropriate comment to make!!

• Peter Bishop Peter Bishop says:

What’s laughable is your lack of knowledge. 90% of the shootings here are suicide or domestic violence related. So if you think it’s a dangerous city look in the mirror or at your spouse. You obviously didn’t spend enough time anywhere else to know the difference. The crimes here are relatively minor. Look at demographics and you’ll be hard pressed to find a city with a lower crime rate. You won’t find a city without crime but to say it’s dangerous here is silly.

22. My boys all went to canyon ,played sports ended up going to UC schools and all moved away.Thank goodness they got out.The problem is with the kids that never leave….

23. Wahhhh drive by when did cc become the hood

24. You know Santa Clarita is #1 in suicide rates in CA, and heroin is big in Valencia and Stevenson Ranch. More people more problems rich or poor. Ignorance should be a crime.

25. Chuck Giglio Chuck Giglio says:

Guy got pissed at his buddy and shot him in the leg, what’s the big deal?…Ok, well maybe he should of just kicked him in the knee…

26. Santa clarita was cowboy country for years….then greed took over and so did the development. 20 years ago there were 13 registered gangs in SCV. Yet, some call it Awesome town. The truth is that there are safer places to live with a higher quality of life , and worse places too. None of this should come as a Suprise to us as we know that the MEDIA controls the masses. Godspeed

27. Mike says:

Why isn’t a mug shot of the shooter posted so the public can report if seen? Chances law enforcement has a mug shot if they know who the shooter is.

28. Jakes way is better then any part of av

29. Teresa Holguin Quintero I beg to differ with you on that one….I used to live off Jake’s way any years ago….we didn’t have a lot of problems then …until people stopped respecting others and trash started moving in….I’ve also lived in Palmdale…even the “nice part of Palmdale” and I would still rather take my chances on Jake’s way!

Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Weekend Fire Weather Watch Called for SCV
The National Weather Service has called a Fire Weather Watch for this weekend for Los Angeles and Ventura County mountains and valleys including the Santa Clarita Valley due to gusty northeast wind and low relative humidity.
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Bicyclist Arrested for Warrant, Cocaine in Canyon Country
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 21-year-old man who had an outstanding warrant and was allegedly in possession of cocaine in Canyon Country early Thursday.
Friday, Dec 15, 2017
Elite LASD Drug Enforcement Team Disrupts Cartel Operations
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department looks back at five years of work by its Domestic Highway Enforcement Team, which has disrupted the operations of the drug cartels by confiscating millions of dollars in illegal drugs and drug money.

"The final tax reform bill released punishes homeowners and weakens homeownership, and in fact, it looks at homeowners and the housing market as nothing more than a piggy bank," said C.A.R. President Steve White.
Realtors: Final GOP Tax Bill Punishes Homeowners
1925 - Jenks Harris robs Piru bank of $11,000 [story]
1902 - Hi Jolly (Hadji Ali), Gen. E.F. Beale's Syrian camel driver, dies at Quartzsite, Ariz. [story]
Weekend Fire Weather Watch Called for SCV
Bicyclist Arrested for Warrant, Cocaine in Canyon Country
Valencia-based Princess Cruises, voted the #1 international cruise line in Japan, announced its 2019 program featuring Japanese-built Diamond Princess returning for her sixth season, sailing roundtrip from Tokyo (Yokohama) and Kobe.
Princess Cruises Unveils 2019 Japan Cruise Program
Valencia-based Princess Cruises released its 2019 Canada and New England cruise schedule, featuring Regal Princess and Caribbean Princess on the line’s largest fall deployment and the opportunity to visit Greenland roundtrip from New York
Princess Cruises Sets Fall 2019 Cruises to Canada, New England
Elite LASD Drug Enforcement Team Disrupts Cartel Operations
College of the Canyons quarterback Andrew Brito, wide receiver Desean Holmes and linebacker KJ Latu have been named to the 2017 Region III All-California Community College Football Team.
Brito, Holmes, Latu Represent Cougars on All-State Team
Tickets and sponsorships are now available for the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce's 2018 awards ceremony and installation of new officers at Tournament Players Club in Valencia on Friday night, January 26.
Jan. 26: SCV Chamber of Commerce 2018 Awards, Installation Gala
Sponsorships are now open for the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation's 2018 Economic Outlook Conference, set for Thursday, March 8, 2018 at a location to be announced shortly.
SCV 2018 Economic Outlook Conference Tickets, Sponsorships Open
SetPoint Medical, a Valencia-based biomedical company developing therapy for chronic inflammatory diseases, has received approval from the FDA to initiate a pilot trial in the U.S. for patients with drug-refractory rheumatoid arthritis.
FDA OK’s SetPoint Bioelectronic Therapy Study for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr., representing the United States - and states and regions leading on climate across the globe - joined world leaders at the One Planet Summit Tuesday, the two-year anniversary of the Paris Agreement.
Brown in Paris: ‘We Can’t Wait for White House to Wake Up’
The regular Planning Commission meeting scheduled for Tuesday, December 19 has been canceled, according to a notification from the city of Santa Clarita today.
City Cancels Dec. 19 Planning Commission Meeting
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, December 19, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 19: L.A. County Board of Supervisors Meeting
L.A. County's Bringing Our Loved Ones Home Task Force officials unveiled their final recommendations, endorsing a plan to use a voluntary system of trackable bracelets to find people prone to wandering, like those suffering from Alzheimer’s or autism.
County Task Force Calls for Tracking Bracelets to Locate Lost Individuals
The Community Development Commission of the county of Los Angeles looks back on 35 years of advancing its core program areas: affordable housing and housing, community and economic development.
County Community Development Commission Marks 35th Anniversary
Metro is seeking two new members to join the Measure M Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee.
Metro Seeks 2 New Measure M Oversight Committee Members
The California Air Resources Board approved a $663 million low-carbon transportation plan Thursday to increase the use of clean cars, heavy-duty trucks, buses and freight equipment.
Air Resources Board OK’s $663 Million for Clean Vehicles
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has released its public safety and crime information report for Saugus (Zone 4) for December 4-10, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Shoplifting, Petty Theft in Saugus
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra has filed his strong opposition to the Trump Administration’s illegal attempt to suspend the 2015 Clean Water Rule for two years.
California AG, 10 Others Oppose Feds’ Suspension of Clean Water Rule
Conservation groups on Friday lobbied a federal judge for permission to join a fight between the federal government and a ranching association over a trio of California amphibian species.
Conservationists Lobby to Join Fray Over Frog Habitat
1987 - Incorporation: Santa Clarita officially becomes a city [story]
With an offense that challenged the program’s single-season goals record, The Master’s University women’s soccer team was almost almost never out of any game it played: The Mustangs were always within striking range.
Lady Mustangs Within Range of Directors’ Cup Top Spots
When Ed Jackiewicz met Tera Trujillo in spring 2015, she was studying at a desk she’d carried to the corner of the California State University, Northridge soccer field, in a “time out” of sorts, unable to practice because she’d just earned a D in an economics class.
CSUN’s “Under Armour Faculty” Promotes Academic Success in Student-Athletes
When Rafael Munoz recalls his time at the Layer 8 Computer Security Club at California State University, Northridge, he feels proud and thankful.
CSUN’s Tech Education Makes Top 10 List
The city of Santa Clarita Arts and Events division is currently seeking proposals for solo exhibits for 2018 in the gallery space at The MAIN, the City’s newest arts venue in Old Town Newhall.
City Seeking Artists for 2018 Solo Exhibits
NORTHRIDGE, Calif.---CSUN Men's Basketball returns to the road for the final time in the non-conference season this weekend.
CSUN to Face-Off Against Formal Rival Eastern Washington
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for Friday:
Dec. 15: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
This Friday and Saturday (Dec. 15-16), The Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance brings their annual Winter Dance Concert to the REDCAT stage.
Dec. 15, 16: Sharon Disney Lund School of Dance Concert at REDCAT
The William S. Hart Union High School District Governing Board has approved naming Dr. Collyn Nielsen as Chief Administrative Officer and Jan Hayes-Rennels as Director of Special Programs and Staff Development.
Hart Appoints Nielsen, Hayes-Rennels to District Office Positions
NORTHRIDGE, Calif. - The CSUN men's volleyball team was picked to finish third in the inaugural Big West Men's Volleyball Preseason Coaches Poll announced Thursday.
Big West Pre-Season Coaches Poll Puts Matadors Volleyball at No. 3
A 44-year-old transient was arrested by SCV Sheriff's Station deputies Wednesday afternoon after he allegedly tried to pick up his 8-year-old niece from a school in Santa Clarita.
Suspect Arrested in Attempted Kidnapping
It was a night to honor exceptional mentors at California State University, Northridge, but the five recipients of the 2017 Don Dorsey Excellence in Mentoring Awards just wanted to talk about their students.
CSUN Pays Tribute to Mentors Who Have Made a Difference
The words leapt right off the page and hung in the air, heavy, encircling the audience. Their creator stood, offering his gifts of verse — shared in a powerful baritone voice.
Literary Star Power Comes to CSUN
While critical fire conditions continue through Friday, the final numbers for the Rye Fire have been released.
Officials Release Final Numbers on Rye Fire