The Daily Sundial, the California State University, Northridge student-run newspaper, has learned it has won prizes in 19 categories in the 2013 California College Media Awards.
The nominees will find out this weekend whether they’ve won first, second or third place.
“I am ecstatic and especially proud that we won in such a wide range of categories,” said Sundial Editor In Chief Ashley Soley-Cerro. “Our staff works incredibly hard because they are passionate about what they do, and I think it showed through their work.”
Soley-Cerro works for KHTS AM-1220 as a freelance writer and reporter. She recently covered the city of Santa Clarita’s Earth Arbor Day, when more than 6,000 turned out locally for a city event.
Some of the nominations include Best Breaking News Story, Feature Story, Staff Editorial and Special Section.
The winners will be presented awards at San Jose State on Saturday.
Here’s a full list of CCMA recipients:
* Best Color Advertisement – Jennifer Luxton, Charlie Kaijo
* Best Breaking News Story – Melissa Simon, Loren Townsley
* Best News Story (non-breaking) – Christina Cocca
* Best Feature Story – Melody Cherchian
* Best Editorial – Staff
* Best Audio Slideshow – Christina Cocca
* Best Video – Brita Potenza
* Best Features Photograph – Ken Scarboro
* Best Photo Illustration – Anthony Brown, Loren Townsley, Charlie Kaijo
* Best News Page Design – Jennifer Luxton
* Best News Page Design – Gabriel Ivan Orendain-Necochea
* Best Sports Page Design – Anthony Brown
* Best Infographic – Abby Jones
* Best Cartoon – Gabriel Ivan Orendain-Necochea
* Best Overall Design – Staff
* Best Features Page Design – Abby Jones
* Best Features Page Design – Jasmine Mochizuki, Jennifer Luxton
* Best Headline Portfolio – Alonso Tacanga
* Best Special Section – Staff
“The Daily Sundial is an award-winning, and financially independent, student newspaper and web site,” according to the paper’s site, run by “student journalists who seek to gather, write, edit and publish or disseminate news for our students and community.”