Sunny
Sunny

February 21
1923 - Newhall Chamber of Commerce organized; Albert Swall elected president [story]
' style=

phillipmichaelgriffinCoroner’s officials have identified the man who jumped off of the Via Princessa bridge in Canyon Country Sunday morning and ruled the death a suicide.

Phillip Michael Griffin, a 23-year-old Caucasian male from Canyon Country, was identified by Coroner’s officials, said Lt. Kelly Yagerlener with the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Griffin was reported missing on Thursday, August 20, 2015, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.

Griffin was last seen leaving his residence in Canyon Country on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.

He recently visited the Buddhist Temple in North Hollywood and is also reported to have been seen near the “River” in Canyon Country, according to the missing person report.

bridgeAt approximately 10:30 a.m., Griffin was observed hanging over the side of the bridge by a passenger of a passing car, said Aguilera.

The passenger had the intent to talk to Griffin to help him, however Griffin jumped without saying a word, Aguilera said.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene at approximately 10:33 a.m., said Lt. Tom Bryski with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Suicide Prevention

Recent statistics indicate the North Los Angeles County region has the highest rate of calls for attempted and completed suicides in Los Angeles County, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data.

For anyone seeking information about mental health resources available in the Santa Clarita Valley, below is a list and a link to more information:

There are 24-hour numbers available. In the event of an emergency, 911 should always be the first call. Those looking to speak with someone can call 1-800-273-8255, for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-854-7771, for The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health; and 1-800-784-2433, for The Treatment Advocacy Center. You can contact the SCV Child & Family Center at 661-259-9439. The phone number for the Santa Clarita Valley Youth Project is 661-257-9688.
– Heather Harbin contributed to this story.

1. Miguel Ramirez this is what happened

2. Pray for those who have been left behind. RIP Mr. Griffin

3. Laura Peach Laura Peach says:

Joe Peach Brad Peach

4. one report says it was death the other one says multiple injuries.

5. Sipri Vigil Sipri Vigil says:

Jorge Moran Joey Kivi saddening bro. They identified the body.

6. Ugh!! This is heartbreaking news!!! My sympathy goes out to the family!!!

7. Prayers for him and his family

8. So very sad. Sounds like he was a young man who suffered with mental illness. Sorry to the family.

9. Heartbreaking! My prayers go out to the family. 🙏🏽😔😢

10. That’s right next to my old house

11. enrique says:

Phil I will truely miss you. You were a good friend good influence and you helped enlighten me on my perspective in life. I love you and miss you my friend

12. Lori Root Lori Root says:

Heartbreaking that this young man thought this was his only option.

13. I truely miss my,friend Phil he helped me out alot

14. Prayers for his family

15. Jenny Curtis Jenny Curtis says:

Heartbreaking for the family

16. Prayers to his family & loved ones

17. Oh, so sad. I hadn’t heard about this. A few years ago, a woman jumped from this bridge too.

18. this makes me so sad.

19. This is terrible for the family and friends…. May he rest in peace now

20. Troy Crisco Troy Crisco says:

Permanent solution to temporary problems! So sad!

21. Robin Sota Robin Sota says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers for his loved ones.

22. Andrew Roche when I was driving to your house yesterday I saw the caution tape and had to merge around that cop car..

23. Oh no. When the story was posted of him missing, someone posted on that that he was found alive and well. Then I saw this story, and I hoped it wasn’t him. So sad.

RIP. :/

24. So sorry for the family loss. May he rest in peace

25. Lisa Baldwin Lisa Baldwin says:

So sad. Prayers to him and his family and friends.

26. Praying for his family and friends.. Heartbreaking 😔

27. Hope Flores says:

So sad! RIP

28. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends to have the strength to go through this very difficult time.

29. Prayers for his family
    So sad

30. My prayers to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31. As someone who has been through depression, it’s not a “mental illness” or “temporary solution”. Depression is physically debilitating and it feels like anything can trigger you. Sometimes it’s not something therapy or pills can solve overnight. My heart breaks when I see comments like this coming from people who have not personally been through it and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. I’m sure everyone has tried their hardest previous to the incident.

32. Was so hoping they had found him ok, poor family my prayers are with you!

33. Cynthia Fischer, Bill Fischerwas right

34. I have been reading posts from yesterday and today from all my young SCV friends! I didn’t know him but their posts are making me cry! Sad tragic! RIP young man! May you find comfort and happiness in your next life!

35. What a tragedy – such a handsome young man. Depression is debilitating. It is something no one can ever understand. It makes it worse when family is cruel to you (Not saying this is what happened to him) and it just makes you feel so alone in the world. People don’t care the way they used to – they never care until it is too late and like my mom always tells me, by then it is too late. My mom has always told me, “If you can’t be good to me when I am alive, don’t bother when I am dead”. There is so much truth to this. I don’t know what this young man went through in life. Maybe he had an incredible family – I hope he did. I hope that everyone around him was good to him and loved him the best they could. My condolences to his family and to everyone who loved him and knew him. What a sad day for everyone, even to those who did not know him. I hope he had a better family support than I do. I am lucky to have found FB friends on these sites, I am grateful for my daughter, I am thankful for my co-workers, and I am thankful FIRST to GOD who has ALWAYS been by my side and has never abandoned me. Family has been the most cruel – and sadly this puts people into deep depression. Before I even read this article, just this morning a co-worker told me that she cries because of the way her mom treats her. It just shouldn’t be this way. A mother, a sister, a brother, an aunt, an uncle, and any other extended family member should love with all their heart, especially when one is depressed or suffering with mental illness. People live for money, for FB, they live for what they can get in life. We see people on these sites pleading for a bed for their children, or for food, and someone will come on here and say, “I have one for $40.00” There used to be a time in this life when people would do whatever it took to help another human soul, at no cost. If you have an extra bed, GIVE it away. If you have extra food, pass it along. If you see someone crying, stop to talk to them. If you see a family member in pain over not so kind treatment “THEY” feel they are getting from family, just let them know that YOU love them without getting on the phone to gossip about them. If you see a mother in need of a diaper on this page, drive over a few to her without judgment. If she sells them then she can live with the consequences of it. But we really need to get back to caring about humans again with NO PRICE TAG attached. If you know someone who is depressed, use your last $5.00 to take them to Starbucks to have a talk. People need people. Make a difference in this life and help others out. What a sad story – not an outcome I expected, especially after reading the posts about him the other night

36. So sad!!! Prayers sent!! Xoxoxox

37. Depression is devastating for both the person who has it and those around them. Living life in hopelessness with out understanding is living no life at all. My heart breaks for this young person and that he thought that this was his only solution. If you have thoughts of suicide reach out to someone.

38. Ramiro Reyes Ramiro Reyes says:

Maria Rosales Matthew Rosales

39. So sad, we crossed the bridge ten minutes after he did it. My heart goes out to his family.

40. Very sad. May he rest in peace.

41. Toni Sanna Toni Sanna says:

Totally drove by and saw him standing there looking but he was on the street side, wish I would have known, but he just seemed like a guy admiring the view of the wash on a walk

42. Ben Green Ben Green says:

May his soul rest from his torment. He is no longer in pain. I wish to send my condolences to his family and friends.

43. Suicide doesn’t solve your problems it just passes them on to someone else

44. How sad! My heart goes out to his family.

45. Theresa McGrath Cowdray

46. When someone commits suicide it just transfers their hurt to the people who love them.

47. Man I was hoping so much it wasn’t him. F@$#

48. Such a sad story. He had his whole life ahead of him. My son is 23 and I just can’t even imagine this. Prayers for his family. May he now find peace

49. permanent solution too a temporary problem rip bud

50. I’m so sad, I pray for his family and all others who are hurting right now

51. Angela Chu Angela Chu says:

So tragic! Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP!

52. Oh!no”,,,,,,,,, why? ???? This bridge, 2nd dead, very Sad the ppl know were to go one last time. I was looking down t other day n it’s very high w/ train tracks on the under. Very Sad” :'( so young guy, :'( prayers for them n t Family’s. :'(

53. Too many young people losing their lives in SCV lately 😢

54. Marcy Torrey Marcy Torrey says:

My prayers are with his family.

55. We saw the aftermath: first responders, etc. But had no idea what was going on until we asked one of the bystanders. Poor soul. He must have been very troubled. Prayers for him and his family.

56. Jesse Zavala Jesse Zavala says:

So sad I work with aunt they were so Worried this is just Devastating Patty Morales

57. My condolences to family.

58. Gail Chung Gail Chung says:

Very sad he was too young

59. Mike Knapp Mike Knapp says:

What a sad situation:(rip young man

60. So sad. Prayers to his family.

61. I didn’t know him, but this makes me so sad….

62. Dolly Reyes Dolly Reyes says:

Omg so sad poor guy may he R.I.P

63. Missy Voss Missy Voss says:

Very well put Della Alesana. I suffer from Depression and anxiety so I get it and it hurts to see read this

64. May he rest in peace. My deepest thoughts and prayers to his family.

65. Jeff says:

Wish I could have done something to help. It’s sad because he’s not the only one feeling like that at this exact moment. Rest in paradise.

66. Poor troubled soul. May he rest in peace now and prayers go out to his family that have a long road to understanding & grief.

67. Val says:

So sad!!! My heart goes out to the family and friends. Prayers 😢

68. Koryne Dominguez Kimberly Gonzalez

69. Awful, just awful. Bless him and all concerned.

70. Rest in peace brother…

Depression is real;

71. Mike Petett Mike Petett says:

Maybe now the SCV cops will FINALLY take suicidal people as seriously as they’re actually required to….

72. Ariane Labrzycki did you see this? I know you had posted that you saw this in person

73. RIP young man xo Praying for family and friends, sorry for your loss . I have 3 people in my life who have done this xo

74. My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of this young man.

75. So sad I was hoping they would find him just so many tragedies here this month in Canyon Country

76. We live in a very tough world and I’m so sorry he felt the need/want to take his life….I am sending prayers to his family during this difficult time.

77. debi ess says:

R.I.p. philip. As a mom this has got to be the worst. My condolences to the family and friends. As for you danny I pray I dont ever cross paths with you. I WILL not hesitate to PUSH you off any bridge. Yea I said that. Peace

78. Mayte Razo Mayte Razo says:

Daniel A Rivas look babe by where u always run 😱😱

79. Life is tough we have to keep our heads up. Better days better days

80. Corey Wolff Corey Wolff says:

Dang that sucks they should put barbed wire fence.

81. Soares Dawn Soares Dawn says:

Prayers to his family. Rip Phil

82. Rest in peace phill you where a great kid. I just wish this didnt happen you will be miss by many

83. And earlier posts indicated he had been found after reported missing – was that true?

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018
Hart Baseball Field Vandalized
Detectives at the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station are studying surveillance video after a field at the William S. Hart Baseball Complex off Auto Center Drive was vandalized early Sunday morning.
Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018
Officials: Arroyo Seco Threat Not ‘Credible’
Earlier today, Arroyo Seco Junior High School parents were alerted of a "concerning statement" made by a student. Law enforcement officials later determined the statement did not pose a credible threat.
Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018
SCV Home Sales off to Solid Start in New Year
The new year got off to a solid start for residential real estate in the Santa Clarita Valley with single-family homes sales up even as median prices of homes and condominiums sold during January posted higher than a year ago, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported Monday.

Hart Baseball Field Vandalized
' style=
Officials: Arroyo Seco Threat Not ‘Credible’
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital will host the Santa Clarita Valley Concussion Seminar on Saturday, Feb. 24th from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at the Henry Mayo Center located at 23803 McBean Parkway in Valencia.
Feb. 24: Concussion Seminar at Henry Mayo
The High Plains Library District Board has appointed Dr. Matthew Hortt as the new Executive Director.
City Librarian Leaving to Accept New Position in Colorado
NORTHRIDGE - Nationally ranked opponents await the CSUN softball team this week as the Matadors have six games on the docket.
CSUN Softball Readies for Nationally Ranked Opponents
SCV Home Sales off to Solid Start in New Year
The Santa Clarita Public Library’s fourth annual One Story One City program returns with free, themed events during the entire month of March. The One Story One City initiative encourages citywide discussions and promotes reading across all ages through one story.
One Story One City Program to Begin in March
Learn what it takes to become a part of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Feb. 21: LA County Fire Department Recruitment Seminar at COC
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce at its inaugural Current Affairs Forum, sponsored by Poole & Shaffery, featuring the President and CEO of the California Chamber of Commerce, Allan Zaremberg.
Mar. 6: Chamber’s Inaugural Current Affairs Forum
SACRAMENTO - Last week, Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, introduced legislation - Senate Bill 1452 - in a move to bring a Global War on Terror Memorial to California.
Wilk Introduces Legislation to Create Global War on Terror Memorial
WASHINGTON (CN) – Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas berated his colleagues Tuesday for rejecting a challenge by gun owners to California’s 10-day “cooling-off” period.
Supreme Court Rejects Challenge by California Gun Owners
1906 - L.A. County accepts Mr. H.C. Register's bid to build (Old) Newhall Jail for $2,237 [story]
NextSCV, newly rebranded from SCV Emerging Leaders, will host a behind-the-scenes tour of the Princess Cruises world headquarters in Valencia, followed by a mixer at The Dudes’ Brewery, on Wednesday, February 28.
Feb. 28: NextSCV Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Princess Cruises HQ
The Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Foundation has added three new members to the board of directors -- Don Kimball, community president at FivePoint; Tracy Lawrence, MD, director of Emergency Services, Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital; and Robert Stern, CPA, Stern, Kory, Morgan & Sreden.
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Foundation Adds 3 to Board
Hollywood Boulevard will be closed for the Oscars between Highland Avenue and Orange Drive from 10 p.m. on Sunday, February 25 to 6 a.m. on Wednesday, March 7.
Hollywood Blvd. Closed for Oscars Feb. 25 to March 7
Westmont scored a 54-41 home win over The Master's University women's basketball team Saturday night, as the Mustangs scored the fewest points in a game this season, shooting just 31 percent from the floor.
The Master’s Can’t Find Groove in Santa Barbara
The TMU Mustangs rallied from a deficit late Saturday afternoon to beat Hope International 4-3 in the nightcap, completing a series and a doubleheader sweep of the No. 8 Royals.
Mustangs’ 4-3 Comeback Sweeps Royals in Closer
Josh Robison slugged a go-ahead, two-run homer in the eighth inning and No. 14 The Master's University rallied from a three-run deficit to beat No. 8 Hope International 7-6 in the first game of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Lou Herwaldt Stadium.
Robison Rallies Mustangs Past Royals in Opener
Farmers Insurance agent Jon Albert will host a ribbon-cutting ceremony to celebrate the grand opening of his new Santa Clarita office on Tuesday, February 20 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 20: New Farmers Insurance Agent Hosts Grand Opening
The Mustangs opened the second half of their 101-82 win at Westmont College on Saturday with a flurry of steals and blocks and buckets, which helped TMU claim at least a share of the first GSAC title in program history.
Mustangs Claim Share of 1st GSAC Title in Program History
CSUN's fifth annual Maurice Amado Foundation Lecture in Jewish Ethics will feature respected scholar Aaron J. Hahn Tapper, who will examine issues surrounding reconciliation and forgiveness in his talk at Valley Beth Shalom Synagogue in Encino on Wednesday, March 14 starting at 7:30 p.m.
March 14: CSUN Amado Lecture to Explore Forgiving the Unforgivable
A federal grand jury on Friday indicted a 32-year-old Texas man accused of carrying out a five-day, 2 million-email attack on the Los Angeles County Superior Courts computer system in July 2017.
Feds Indict Texas Man in LA County Court Email Hack
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will host live Oscars viewing parties in New York and London for its members and invited film industry guests on Oscar Sunday, March 4.
March 4: Academy to Celebrate Oscar Night in New York, London
College of the Canyons' baseball team beat Chaffey College 12-9 in a wild game on Saturday when the home team scored eight runs in the 7th to gain the win and improve to 7-4.
College of the Canyons Outruns Chaffey College 12-9
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee meeting at the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge includes a meet-and-greet with 25th District Congressional candidate Michael Masterman-Smith on Wednesday, February 21, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Feb. 21: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
"NCIS" producer-writer Scott Williams has been added to the lineup of speakers at the 2018 Economic Outlook Conference hosted by the SCV Economic Development Corporation and COC at TPC Valencia on March 8 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
March 8: ‘NCIS’ Producer Joins 2018 SCV Economic Outlook Panel
The William S. Hart Union High School District's Career & College Readiness Department is celebrating Career Education Month in February by providing students a variety of pathways to success.
Hart District Celebrates Career Education Month
Arroyo Seco Junior High School and Saugus High School have partnered to introduce Career Pathways to students, with automotive technology the focus of the next panel on Friday, February 23.
Arroyo Seco, Saugus High Team for Career Pathways Panels
Los Angeles County's Interim Health Officer has issued a Cold Weather Alert for the Santa Clarita Valley through Wednesday night due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for wind chill temperatures below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cold Weather Alert Chills SCV Through Wednesday
1803 - Indian family members removed from Caamulus (Camulos) village, Piru area, are baptized at San Fernando Mission [record]
1955 - Actor and nightclub owner Ace Cain incorporates the Rocky Springs Country Club in Sand Canyon [story]
1949 - Short-lived oil drilling operation on Newhall's Arcadia Street ends [story]
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, February 20, starting at 1 p.m.
Feb. 20: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Little, Brown Books recently published CalArts alum Vashti Harrison's (Film/Video MFA 14) debut illustrated book, "Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History."
Vashti Harrison Talks ‘Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History’
UCLA's Hammer Museum has announced the 32 artists including six CalArts alumni who will participate in "Made in L.A. 2018," the fourth edition of the museum's biennial exhibition, which runs June 3 to Sept. 2 at the Westwood museum.
6 CalArtians Among Artists Selected for ‘Made in L.A. 2018’