Clear
Clear

December 10
1941 - Three days after Pearl Harbor attack, 165th and 185th Infantry Regiments assigned to Saugus; Edison power substation guarded 24/7 [timeline]

phillipmichaelgriffinCoroner’s officials have identified the man who jumped off of the Via Princessa bridge in Canyon Country Sunday morning and ruled the death a suicide.

Phillip Michael Griffin, a 23-year-old Caucasian male from Canyon Country, was identified by Coroner’s officials, said Lt. Kelly Yagerlener with the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Griffin was reported missing on Thursday, August 20, 2015, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.

Griffin was last seen leaving his residence in Canyon Country on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.

He recently visited the Buddhist Temple in North Hollywood and is also reported to have been seen near the “River” in Canyon Country, according to the missing person report.

bridgeAt approximately 10:30 a.m., Griffin was observed hanging over the side of the bridge by a passenger of a passing car, said Aguilera.

The passenger had the intent to talk to Griffin to help him, however Griffin jumped without saying a word, Aguilera said.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene at approximately 10:33 a.m., said Lt. Tom Bryski with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Suicide Prevention

Recent statistics indicate the North Los Angeles County region has the highest rate of calls for attempted and completed suicides in Los Angeles County, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data.

For anyone seeking information about mental health resources available in the Santa Clarita Valley, below is a list and a link to more information:

There are 24-hour numbers available. In the event of an emergency, 911 should always be the first call. Those looking to speak with someone can call 1-800-273-8255, for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-854-7771, for The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health; and 1-800-784-2433, for The Treatment Advocacy Center. You can contact the SCV Child & Family Center at 661-259-9439. The phone number for the Santa Clarita Valley Youth Project is 661-257-9688.
– Heather Harbin contributed to this story.

1. Miguel Ramirez this is what happened

2. Pray for those who have been left behind. RIP Mr. Griffin

3. Laura Peach Laura Peach says:

Joe Peach Brad Peach

4. one report says it was death the other one says multiple injuries.

5. Sipri Vigil Sipri Vigil says:

Jorge Moran Joey Kivi saddening bro. They identified the body.

6. Ugh!! This is heartbreaking news!!! My sympathy goes out to the family!!!

7. Prayers for him and his family

8. So very sad. Sounds like he was a young man who suffered with mental illness. Sorry to the family.

9. Heartbreaking! My prayers go out to the family. 🙏🏽😔😢

10. That’s right next to my old house

11. enrique says:

Phil I will truely miss you. You were a good friend good influence and you helped enlighten me on my perspective in life. I love you and miss you my friend

12. Lori Root Lori Root says:

Heartbreaking that this young man thought this was his only option.

13. I truely miss my,friend Phil he helped me out alot

14. Prayers for his family

15. Jenny Curtis Jenny Curtis says:

Heartbreaking for the family

16. Prayers to his family & loved ones

17. Oh, so sad. I hadn’t heard about this. A few years ago, a woman jumped from this bridge too.

18. this makes me so sad.

19. This is terrible for the family and friends…. May he rest in peace now

20. Troy Crisco Troy Crisco says:

Permanent solution to temporary problems! So sad!

21. Robin Sota Robin Sota says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers for his loved ones.

22. Andrew Roche when I was driving to your house yesterday I saw the caution tape and had to merge around that cop car..

23. Oh no. When the story was posted of him missing, someone posted on that that he was found alive and well. Then I saw this story, and I hoped it wasn’t him. So sad.

RIP. :/

24. So sorry for the family loss. May he rest in peace

25. Lisa Baldwin Lisa Baldwin says:

So sad. Prayers to him and his family and friends.

26. Praying for his family and friends.. Heartbreaking 😔

27. Hope Flores says:

So sad! RIP

28. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends to have the strength to go through this very difficult time.

29. Prayers for his family
    So sad

30. My prayers to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31. As someone who has been through depression, it’s not a “mental illness” or “temporary solution”. Depression is physically debilitating and it feels like anything can trigger you. Sometimes it’s not something therapy or pills can solve overnight. My heart breaks when I see comments like this coming from people who have not personally been through it and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. I’m sure everyone has tried their hardest previous to the incident.

32. Was so hoping they had found him ok, poor family my prayers are with you!

33. Cynthia Fischer, Bill Fischerwas right

34. I have been reading posts from yesterday and today from all my young SCV friends! I didn’t know him but their posts are making me cry! Sad tragic! RIP young man! May you find comfort and happiness in your next life!

35. What a tragedy – such a handsome young man. Depression is debilitating. It is something no one can ever understand. It makes it worse when family is cruel to you (Not saying this is what happened to him) and it just makes you feel so alone in the world. People don’t care the way they used to – they never care until it is too late and like my mom always tells me, by then it is too late. My mom has always told me, “If you can’t be good to me when I am alive, don’t bother when I am dead”. There is so much truth to this. I don’t know what this young man went through in life. Maybe he had an incredible family – I hope he did. I hope that everyone around him was good to him and loved him the best they could. My condolences to his family and to everyone who loved him and knew him. What a sad day for everyone, even to those who did not know him. I hope he had a better family support than I do. I am lucky to have found FB friends on these sites, I am grateful for my daughter, I am thankful for my co-workers, and I am thankful FIRST to GOD who has ALWAYS been by my side and has never abandoned me. Family has been the most cruel – and sadly this puts people into deep depression. Before I even read this article, just this morning a co-worker told me that she cries because of the way her mom treats her. It just shouldn’t be this way. A mother, a sister, a brother, an aunt, an uncle, and any other extended family member should love with all their heart, especially when one is depressed or suffering with mental illness. People live for money, for FB, they live for what they can get in life. We see people on these sites pleading for a bed for their children, or for food, and someone will come on here and say, “I have one for $40.00” There used to be a time in this life when people would do whatever it took to help another human soul, at no cost. If you have an extra bed, GIVE it away. If you have extra food, pass it along. If you see someone crying, stop to talk to them. If you see a family member in pain over not so kind treatment “THEY” feel they are getting from family, just let them know that YOU love them without getting on the phone to gossip about them. If you see a mother in need of a diaper on this page, drive over a few to her without judgment. If she sells them then she can live with the consequences of it. But we really need to get back to caring about humans again with NO PRICE TAG attached. If you know someone who is depressed, use your last $5.00 to take them to Starbucks to have a talk. People need people. Make a difference in this life and help others out. What a sad story – not an outcome I expected, especially after reading the posts about him the other night

36. So sad!!! Prayers sent!! Xoxoxox

37. Depression is devastating for both the person who has it and those around them. Living life in hopelessness with out understanding is living no life at all. My heart breaks for this young person and that he thought that this was his only solution. If you have thoughts of suicide reach out to someone.

38. Ramiro Reyes Ramiro Reyes says:

Maria Rosales Matthew Rosales

39. So sad, we crossed the bridge ten minutes after he did it. My heart goes out to his family.

40. Very sad. May he rest in peace.

41. Toni Sanna Toni Sanna says:

Totally drove by and saw him standing there looking but he was on the street side, wish I would have known, but he just seemed like a guy admiring the view of the wash on a walk

42. Ben Green Ben Green says:

May his soul rest from his torment. He is no longer in pain. I wish to send my condolences to his family and friends.

43. Suicide doesn’t solve your problems it just passes them on to someone else

44. How sad! My heart goes out to his family.

45. Theresa McGrath Cowdray

46. When someone commits suicide it just transfers their hurt to the people who love them.

47. Man I was hoping so much it wasn’t him. F@$#

48. Such a sad story. He had his whole life ahead of him. My son is 23 and I just can’t even imagine this. Prayers for his family. May he now find peace

49. permanent solution too a temporary problem rip bud

50. I’m so sad, I pray for his family and all others who are hurting right now

51. Angela Chu Angela Chu says:

So tragic! Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP!

52. Oh!no”,,,,,,,,, why? ???? This bridge, 2nd dead, very Sad the ppl know were to go one last time. I was looking down t other day n it’s very high w/ train tracks on the under. Very Sad” :'( so young guy, :'( prayers for them n t Family’s. :'(

53. Too many young people losing their lives in SCV lately 😢

54. Marcy Torrey Marcy Torrey says:

My prayers are with his family.

55. We saw the aftermath: first responders, etc. But had no idea what was going on until we asked one of the bystanders. Poor soul. He must have been very troubled. Prayers for him and his family.

56. Jesse Zavala Jesse Zavala says:

So sad I work with aunt they were so Worried this is just Devastating Patty Morales

57. My condolences to family.

58. Gail Chung Gail Chung says:

Very sad he was too young

59. Mike Knapp Mike Knapp says:

What a sad situation:(rip young man

60. So sad. Prayers to his family.

61. I didn’t know him, but this makes me so sad….

62. Dolly Reyes Dolly Reyes says:

Omg so sad poor guy may he R.I.P

63. Missy Voss Missy Voss says:

Very well put Della Alesana. I suffer from Depression and anxiety so I get it and it hurts to see read this

64. May he rest in peace. My deepest thoughts and prayers to his family.

65. Jeff says:

Wish I could have done something to help. It’s sad because he’s not the only one feeling like that at this exact moment. Rest in paradise.

66. Poor troubled soul. May he rest in peace now and prayers go out to his family that have a long road to understanding & grief.

67. Val says:

So sad!!! My heart goes out to the family and friends. Prayers 😢

68. Koryne Dominguez Kimberly Gonzalez

69. Awful, just awful. Bless him and all concerned.

70. Rest in peace brother…

Depression is real;

71. Mike Petett Mike Petett says:

Maybe now the SCV cops will FINALLY take suicidal people as seriously as they’re actually required to….

72. Ariane Labrzycki did you see this? I know you had posted that you saw this in person

73. RIP young man xo Praying for family and friends, sorry for your loss . I have 3 people in my life who have done this xo

74. My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of this young man.

75. So sad I was hoping they would find him just so many tragedies here this month in Canyon Country

76. We live in a very tough world and I’m so sorry he felt the need/want to take his life….I am sending prayers to his family during this difficult time.

77. debi ess says:

R.I.p. philip. As a mom this has got to be the worst. My condolences to the family and friends. As for you danny I pray I dont ever cross paths with you. I WILL not hesitate to PUSH you off any bridge. Yea I said that. Peace

78. Mayte Razo Mayte Razo says:

Daniel A Rivas look babe by where u always run 😱😱

79. Life is tough we have to keep our heads up. Better days better days

80. Corey Wolff Corey Wolff says:

Dang that sucks they should put barbed wire fence.

81. Soares Dawn Soares Dawn says:

Prayers to his family. Rip Phil

82. Rest in peace phill you where a great kid. I just wish this didnt happen you will be miss by many

83. And earlier posts indicated he had been found after reported missing – was that true?

Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Fire Danger Warning Extended to Monday Night
The National Weather Service has extended its Red Flag Warning of extreme fire danger for coastal and valley areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties through Monday at 8 p.m.
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Rye Fire 93 Percent Contained, Creek Fire Nearly Out
The Rye Fire is 93 percent contained and the Creek Fire is 95 percent contained, according to a Sunday evening update from CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Thomas Fire Threatens Coastal Ventura, Santa Barbara County
The Thomas Fire raged in Ventura County and west into Santa Barbara County Sunday, forcing evacuations as the blaze threatened coastal communities of Carpinteria and Montecito and moved inland into the Los Padres National Forest.

Fire Danger Warning Extended to Monday Night
Rye Fire 93 Percent Contained, Creek Fire Nearly Out
Derelict since the 1994 earthquake, the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall was the first productive oil refinery in the American West and is believed to be the oldest existing refinery in the world today. Unfunded restoration plans have come and gone. Now that the surrounding property is under development, will the promises be kept?
Gate-King and the Pioneer | Commentary by Leon Worden
Thomas Fire Threatens Coastal Ventura, Santa Barbara County
Retired Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputy and former Newhall School Board member Mike Shapiro's home in Ojai was destroyed by the Thomas fire, which broke out Monday, December 4 and has scorched 173,000 acres as of Sunday morning.
Thomas Fire Levels Ojai Home of Ex-SCV Deputy, NSD Board Member
1983 - U.S. release of John Carpenter's "Christine;" blew up fake gas station in Valencia [watch scene (R)]
CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department updated residents on the status of the Rye Fire and Creek Fire, as well as evacuation locations and road closures as of Friday at 6 p.m.
Rye Fire 50 Percent Contained, Creek Fire 70 Percent Contained
A death investigation is under way at the Crescent Valley Mobile Home Park at 23500 The Old Road in Newhall, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Sgt. Chris Maurizi.
Detectives Investigating Woman’s ‘Suspicious’ Death at Mobile Home Park
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies offer advice about package theft during the holiday season and how residents can avoid becoming a victim of the "porch pirate."
SCV Sheriff’s Station: ‘Do Not be a Victim of the Porch Pirate’
A National Memorial designation for St. Francis Dam will honor those who lost their lives in the nation’s worst engineering disaster and the role it played in ushering in a new era of oversight for dam construction.
Remembering the St. Francis Dam Disaster | Guest Commentary
The ARTree is looking for fully clothed models for its Drawing Group, and offers to pay each model $30 per session.
ARTree Seeks Fully Clothed Models for Drawing Group
College of the Canyons finished just short of reaching its first state final game when the Cougars women's volleyball team lost to eventual-state champion Irvine Valley College in a heartbreaking five-set result.
COC Falls to Irvine Valley in State Semi-Finals
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, December 12, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 12: L.A. County Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards.
15 Documentary Features Advance in 2017 Oscar Race
Mustang junior Benjamin Tembo was named a third-team National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics All-American this week after leading the Golden State Athletic Conference in every offensive category including game-winning goals with six.
TMU’s Tembo Tabbed One of Nation’s Best Soccer Players
Morgan Koch of The Master's University women's volleyball team earned an honorable mention in the NAIA All-American rankings, the seventh straight season TMU has earned at least an honorable mention.
Morgan Koch Keeps TMU Volleyball All-American Streak Alive
Jasmine Parada has added another top honor to her collection -- the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics picked her among its best of the year.
TMU’s Parada Picked as 2nd-Team All-American
Inmate visiting at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic has been canceled for this weekend due to a long-term power outage at the Visitor Center.
Pitchess Center Cancels Inmate Visits This Weekend
Starting Monday night, Caltrans will create new temporary lanes on southbound Interstate 5, part of a $171 million freeway repaving project in and near the city of Santa Clarita.
New Lane Pattern on I-5 Starts Monday Night in SCV
United Way of Greater Los Angeles has set up the Southern California Wildfire Fund to help victims of these fires rebuild their lives.
United Way Sets Up Funds for Fire Victims
The tragedy of the deaths of 29 horses burned by the Creek Fire at a ranch in Sylmar has caused extensive public concern, and the L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control urges horse owners to have an evaculation plan.
County Animal Care Responds to Horse Deaths in Sylmar
Half a dozen wildfires across Southern California continued to burn Friday morning, but firefighters made progress overnight in a week fraught with massive evacuations, highway and school closures and the loss of more than 50 horses.
Wildfires Scorch Homes, Horses Across Southern California
U.S. Air Force Airman Anthony Kuhn, son of Dianne and Joe Kuhn of Santa Clarita, has graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Learning Post Alum Anthony Kuhn Graduates Air Force Basic Training
1941 - Julius Dietzmann family of Castaic arrested as German enemy aliens [story]
LOS ANGELES, CA – Assessor Jeffrey Prang urges homeowners and owners of other property damaged or destroyed by the recent wildfires to seek tax relief.
County Assessor Urges Homeowners Affected by Fires to Seek Tax Relief
The Castaic Lake Water Agency's Financial and Operations Committee will hold a meeting Thursday, Dec. 14, at 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 14: CLWA’s Financial, Operations Committee Meeting
LOS ANGELES—The County of Los Angeles Probation Department activated its Departmental Operations Center in response to the fires across the Southland.
Probation Department Monitoring Fires Around Juvenile Camps, Including Those in SCV
LONG BEACH, Calif. — The tragedy of the deaths of 29 horses burned by the Creek Fire at a ranch in Sylmar has caused extensive public concern.
Animal Control Issues Statement on Horse Deaths During Creek Fire
With improved air quality, travel conditions and weather forecasts for the area surrounding CSUN, the campus will be open and operational Friday.
CSUN Back in Session Friday
On Wednesday, at approximately 7:45 a.m., Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies responded to the 25200 block of De Wolfe Road, Newhall, regarding a man with a gun and domestic disturbance call.
More than 140 Firearms Found in Newhall Home of Barricaded Suspect
On Thursday, December 14, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., the city of Santa Clarita and the American Red Cross are partnering to provide a Community Blood Drive.
Dec. 14: Community Blood Drive at City Hall
The city of Santa Clarita has been recognized by the American Public Works Association (APWA) with two prestigious Public Works awards.
City’s Environmental, Transportation Projects Lauded at Public Works Awards
LONG BEACH, Calif. — The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) continues to rescue animals and provide safe sheltering for animals as a result of the active fires that have affected thousands of Los Angeles County residents.
County Animal Care, Control Shelters More Than 180 Animals Amid LA Fires