Clear
Clear

October 19
1945 - Acton Hotel, est. 1890, burns down; arson is suspected [story]

phillipmichaelgriffinCoroner’s officials have identified the man who jumped off of the Via Princessa bridge in Canyon Country Sunday morning and ruled the death a suicide.

Phillip Michael Griffin, a 23-year-old Caucasian male from Canyon Country, was identified by Coroner’s officials, said Lt. Kelly Yagerlener with the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Griffin was reported missing on Thursday, August 20, 2015, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.

Griffin was last seen leaving his residence in Canyon Country on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.

He recently visited the Buddhist Temple in North Hollywood and is also reported to have been seen near the “River” in Canyon Country, according to the missing person report.

bridgeAt approximately 10:30 a.m., Griffin was observed hanging over the side of the bridge by a passenger of a passing car, said Aguilera.

The passenger had the intent to talk to Griffin to help him, however Griffin jumped without saying a word, Aguilera said.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene at approximately 10:33 a.m., said Lt. Tom Bryski with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Suicide Prevention

Recent statistics indicate the North Los Angeles County region has the highest rate of calls for attempted and completed suicides in Los Angeles County, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data.

For anyone seeking information about mental health resources available in the Santa Clarita Valley, below is a list and a link to more information:

There are 24-hour numbers available. In the event of an emergency, 911 should always be the first call. Those looking to speak with someone can call 1-800-273-8255, for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-854-7771, for The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health; and 1-800-784-2433, for The Treatment Advocacy Center. You can contact the SCV Child & Family Center at 661-259-9439. The phone number for the Santa Clarita Valley Youth Project is 661-257-9688.
– Heather Harbin contributed to this story.

1. Miguel Ramirez this is what happened

2. Pray for those who have been left behind. RIP Mr. Griffin

3. Laura Peach Laura Peach says:

Joe Peach Brad Peach

4. one report says it was death the other one says multiple injuries.

5. Sipri Vigil Sipri Vigil says:

Jorge Moran Joey Kivi saddening bro. They identified the body.

6. Ugh!! This is heartbreaking news!!! My sympathy goes out to the family!!!

7. Prayers for him and his family

8. So very sad. Sounds like he was a young man who suffered with mental illness. Sorry to the family.

9. Heartbreaking! My prayers go out to the family. 🙏🏽😔😢

10. That’s right next to my old house

11. enrique says:

Phil I will truely miss you. You were a good friend good influence and you helped enlighten me on my perspective in life. I love you and miss you my friend

12. Lori Root Lori Root says:

Heartbreaking that this young man thought this was his only option.

13. I truely miss my,friend Phil he helped me out alot

14. Prayers for his family

15. Jenny Curtis Jenny Curtis says:

Heartbreaking for the family

16. Prayers to his family & loved ones

17. Oh, so sad. I hadn’t heard about this. A few years ago, a woman jumped from this bridge too.

18. this makes me so sad.

19. This is terrible for the family and friends…. May he rest in peace now

20. Troy Crisco Troy Crisco says:

Permanent solution to temporary problems! So sad!

21. Robin Sota Robin Sota says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers for his loved ones.

22. Andrew Roche when I was driving to your house yesterday I saw the caution tape and had to merge around that cop car..

23. Oh no. When the story was posted of him missing, someone posted on that that he was found alive and well. Then I saw this story, and I hoped it wasn’t him. So sad.

RIP. :/

24. So sorry for the family loss. May he rest in peace

25. Lisa Baldwin Lisa Baldwin says:

So sad. Prayers to him and his family and friends.

26. Praying for his family and friends.. Heartbreaking 😔

27. Hope Flores says:

So sad! RIP

28. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends to have the strength to go through this very difficult time.

29. Prayers for his family
    So sad

30. My prayers to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31. As someone who has been through depression, it’s not a “mental illness” or “temporary solution”. Depression is physically debilitating and it feels like anything can trigger you. Sometimes it’s not something therapy or pills can solve overnight. My heart breaks when I see comments like this coming from people who have not personally been through it and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. I’m sure everyone has tried their hardest previous to the incident.

32. Was so hoping they had found him ok, poor family my prayers are with you!

33. Cynthia Fischer, Bill Fischerwas right

34. I have been reading posts from yesterday and today from all my young SCV friends! I didn’t know him but their posts are making me cry! Sad tragic! RIP young man! May you find comfort and happiness in your next life!

35. What a tragedy – such a handsome young man. Depression is debilitating. It is something no one can ever understand. It makes it worse when family is cruel to you (Not saying this is what happened to him) and it just makes you feel so alone in the world. People don’t care the way they used to – they never care until it is too late and like my mom always tells me, by then it is too late. My mom has always told me, “If you can’t be good to me when I am alive, don’t bother when I am dead”. There is so much truth to this. I don’t know what this young man went through in life. Maybe he had an incredible family – I hope he did. I hope that everyone around him was good to him and loved him the best they could. My condolences to his family and to everyone who loved him and knew him. What a sad day for everyone, even to those who did not know him. I hope he had a better family support than I do. I am lucky to have found FB friends on these sites, I am grateful for my daughter, I am thankful for my co-workers, and I am thankful FIRST to GOD who has ALWAYS been by my side and has never abandoned me. Family has been the most cruel – and sadly this puts people into deep depression. Before I even read this article, just this morning a co-worker told me that she cries because of the way her mom treats her. It just shouldn’t be this way. A mother, a sister, a brother, an aunt, an uncle, and any other extended family member should love with all their heart, especially when one is depressed or suffering with mental illness. People live for money, for FB, they live for what they can get in life. We see people on these sites pleading for a bed for their children, or for food, and someone will come on here and say, “I have one for $40.00” There used to be a time in this life when people would do whatever it took to help another human soul, at no cost. If you have an extra bed, GIVE it away. If you have extra food, pass it along. If you see someone crying, stop to talk to them. If you see a family member in pain over not so kind treatment “THEY” feel they are getting from family, just let them know that YOU love them without getting on the phone to gossip about them. If you see a mother in need of a diaper on this page, drive over a few to her without judgment. If she sells them then she can live with the consequences of it. But we really need to get back to caring about humans again with NO PRICE TAG attached. If you know someone who is depressed, use your last $5.00 to take them to Starbucks to have a talk. People need people. Make a difference in this life and help others out. What a sad story – not an outcome I expected, especially after reading the posts about him the other night

36. So sad!!! Prayers sent!! Xoxoxox

37. Depression is devastating for both the person who has it and those around them. Living life in hopelessness with out understanding is living no life at all. My heart breaks for this young person and that he thought that this was his only solution. If you have thoughts of suicide reach out to someone.

38. Ramiro Reyes Ramiro Reyes says:

Maria Rosales Matthew Rosales

39. So sad, we crossed the bridge ten minutes after he did it. My heart goes out to his family.

40. Very sad. May he rest in peace.

41. Toni Sanna Toni Sanna says:

Totally drove by and saw him standing there looking but he was on the street side, wish I would have known, but he just seemed like a guy admiring the view of the wash on a walk

42. Ben Green Ben Green says:

May his soul rest from his torment. He is no longer in pain. I wish to send my condolences to his family and friends.

43. Suicide doesn’t solve your problems it just passes them on to someone else

44. How sad! My heart goes out to his family.

45. Theresa McGrath Cowdray

46. When someone commits suicide it just transfers their hurt to the people who love them.

47. Man I was hoping so much it wasn’t him. F@$#

48. Such a sad story. He had his whole life ahead of him. My son is 23 and I just can’t even imagine this. Prayers for his family. May he now find peace

49. permanent solution too a temporary problem rip bud

50. I’m so sad, I pray for his family and all others who are hurting right now

51. Angela Chu Angela Chu says:

So tragic! Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP!

52. Oh!no”,,,,,,,,, why? ???? This bridge, 2nd dead, very Sad the ppl know were to go one last time. I was looking down t other day n it’s very high w/ train tracks on the under. Very Sad” :'( so young guy, :'( prayers for them n t Family’s. :'(

53. Too many young people losing their lives in SCV lately 😢

54. Marcy Torrey Marcy Torrey says:

My prayers are with his family.

55. We saw the aftermath: first responders, etc. But had no idea what was going on until we asked one of the bystanders. Poor soul. He must have been very troubled. Prayers for him and his family.

56. Jesse Zavala Jesse Zavala says:

So sad I work with aunt they were so Worried this is just Devastating Patty Morales

57. My condolences to family.

58. Gail Chung Gail Chung says:

Very sad he was too young

59. Mike Knapp Mike Knapp says:

What a sad situation:(rip young man

60. So sad. Prayers to his family.

61. I didn’t know him, but this makes me so sad….

62. Dolly Reyes Dolly Reyes says:

Omg so sad poor guy may he R.I.P

63. Missy Voss Missy Voss says:

Very well put Della Alesana. I suffer from Depression and anxiety so I get it and it hurts to see read this

64. May he rest in peace. My deepest thoughts and prayers to his family.

65. Jeff says:

Wish I could have done something to help. It’s sad because he’s not the only one feeling like that at this exact moment. Rest in paradise.

66. Poor troubled soul. May he rest in peace now and prayers go out to his family that have a long road to understanding & grief.

67. Val says:

So sad!!! My heart goes out to the family and friends. Prayers 😢

68. Koryne Dominguez Kimberly Gonzalez

69. Awful, just awful. Bless him and all concerned.

70. Rest in peace brother…

Depression is real;

71. Mike Petett Mike Petett says:

Maybe now the SCV cops will FINALLY take suicidal people as seriously as they’re actually required to….

72. Ariane Labrzycki did you see this? I know you had posted that you saw this in person

73. RIP young man xo Praying for family and friends, sorry for your loss . I have 3 people in my life who have done this xo

74. My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of this young man.

75. So sad I was hoping they would find him just so many tragedies here this month in Canyon Country

76. We live in a very tough world and I’m so sorry he felt the need/want to take his life….I am sending prayers to his family during this difficult time.

77. debi ess says:

R.I.p. philip. As a mom this has got to be the worst. My condolences to the family and friends. As for you danny I pray I dont ever cross paths with you. I WILL not hesitate to PUSH you off any bridge. Yea I said that. Peace

78. Mayte Razo Mayte Razo says:

Daniel A Rivas look babe by where u always run 😱😱

79. Life is tough we have to keep our heads up. Better days better days

80. Corey Wolff Corey Wolff says:

Dang that sucks they should put barbed wire fence.

81. Soares Dawn Soares Dawn says:

Prayers to his family. Rip Phil

82. Rest in peace phill you where a great kid. I just wish this didnt happen you will be miss by many

83. And earlier posts indicated he had been found after reported missing – was that true?

Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017
Woman Charged with Manslaughter, DUI in Death of Mother of 6
Alexia Cina of Canyon Country was arrested Wednesday in connection with the death of a mother of six children in a head-on crash on Golden Valley Road on October 6.
Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017
SCV Sheriff’s Deputy Dmitry Barkon Earns Medal of Valor
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's 2017 Medal of Valor Awards were held Tuesday in Los Angeles, and SCV Sheriff's Station Deputy Dmitry Barkon was recognized for his bravery and heroic actions.
Wednesday, Oct 18, 2017
SCV Deputies Catch Window-Smash Burglars in the Act
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies interrupted a smash-and-grab burglary on The Old Road early Friday morning, arresting one suspect and seeking two alleged accomplices still at large.

1945 - Acton Hotel, est. 1890, burns down; arson is suspected [story]
The fall 2017 Star Party at College of the Canyons' Canyon Country campus on Friday, Oct. 27 will focus on the pathways to space exploration that exist for star-gazers who are captivated by the many mysteries of the universe.
Oct. 27: Star Party at COC Canyon Country Campus
Determined to transform the deeply troubled Los Angeles County Probation Department, the Board of Supervisors Tuesday voted unanimously to consider an independent entity that would provide guidance, oversight and accountability.
Supes Consider Entity for Probation Reform Guidance, Oversight, Accountability
Woman Charged with Manslaughter, DUI in Death of Mother of 6
The 22nd annual Santa Clarita Marathon is scheduled for Sunday, November 5, 2017, following the Santa Clarita Health and Fitness Expo on Saturday.
Nov. 4-5: 22nd Annual Santa Clarita Marathon Events
The Los Angeles Dodgers jumped to a 3-0 lead in the best of seven series following Tuesday night’s 6-1 victory over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the NLCS at Wrigley Field.
Dodgers Out to Sweep Cubs in NLCS Game 4
SCV Sheriff’s Deputy Dmitry Barkon Earns Medal of Valor
Now is the time for all good college-bound high school seniors to join the 'Race to Submit' applications for FAFSA and CADAA grants to help cover college expenses.
High School Seniors: ‘Race to Submit’ is on for 2018 College Financial Aid
SCV Deputies Catch Window-Smash Burglars in the Act
Pukúu Cultural Community Services, founded in 1971 by members of the local Fernandeno-Tataviam Band of Mission Indians, will host its 13th Annual scholarship gala fundraiser, "Night with the Stars," in Sunland on Saturday, November 4 starting at 6 p.m.
Nov. 4: Local Tribe Honors 3, Celebrates Native American Heritage Month
California's Attorney General today filed a motion to compel the federal government to follow the law and pay the subsidies that millions of Americans rely on to lower the out-of-pocket costs in their insurance plans.
California AG Fights to Keep ACA Cost-Sharing Subsidies
Santa Clarita business owners are encouraged to take the city's broadband feasibility study online survey and participate in the next phase of the study -- in-person focus groups scheduled for October 30.
Oct. 30: Focus Groups in Next Phase of City Broadband Study
The $17 billion "California WaterFix" project reached a tipping point Tuesday after a Silicon Valley water district voted against Gov. Jerry Brown’s approach in favor of a less expensive, scaled-back version.
Silicon Valley Water Board Wants Delta Tunnels Downsized
Maryama, a band led by CalArts alumna Maryama Mirbagheri (Music MFA 17), was recently nominated for a 2017 Hollywood Music in Media Award in the World Music category.
Maryama Nominated for Hollywood Music in Media Award
The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, in response to President Trump’s recent decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, has declared Oct. 16-20 "DACA Advocacy Week."
California Community Colleges Ramp Up DACA Advocacy
COC and the Hart District will host the 2017 College & Career Fair in the college’s Honor Grove on Saturday, Oct. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Oct. 21: 2017 College and Career Fair at COC
The College of the Canyons Art Gallery will showcase the work of Los Angeles-based painter Sheldon Figoten in a one-person exhibition of new paintings, “Light Fields,” opening Saturday, Oct. 28.
Oct. 28: Sheldon Figoten ‘Light Fields’ at COC Art Gallery
The Santa Clarita Artists Association held its 28th Annual Art Classic fine arts competition at William S. Hart Park's Hart Hall in Newhall on October 14.
Santa Clarita Artists Association Names Winners in 2017 Art Classic
Here is the Castaic-Val Verde Crime Information & Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for September 25 through October 1.
Crime Blotter: Arson, Burglary, Theft in Castaic-Val Verde
California and New Mexico launched a fresh challenge Tuesday against the Trump administration’s repeal of higher royalty payments to states for oil, gas and coal leases on public lands.
California, New Mexico Challenge White House Favors to Oil, Gas, Coal
Here is the Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) Crime Information & Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for the week of October 2 to October 8.
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Petty Theft in Stevenson Ranch
Here is the Canyon Country East (Zone 8) Crime Information and Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for September 24 through October 8, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Vehicle Theft, Burglary in Canyon Country East
1876 - Southern Pacific begins subdividing town of Newhall (original location at Bouquet Junction) [story]
CalArts Center for New Performance (CNP), the professional producing arm of California Institute of the Arts, opens Fantômas: Revenge of the Image at Wuzhen Theatre Festival in Wuzhen, China, on Oct. 19.
Oct. 19: CalArts’ Fantomas: Revenge of the Image Premieres in China
The CSUN women's golf team fired rounds of 306-309 and is in fourth place, just eight shots off the pace at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Seattle University Invitational at the Tacoma Country and Golf Club in Tacoma, WA.
CSUN Just Eight Shots Off Pace At Washington Invitational
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Recreation, Community Services, Arts and Open Spaces Director Rick Gould announces retirement. Plus, the Board of Supervisors approve mental health care improvements. Check out these stories and more tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
The Advanced Technology Presentation about "Careers in the Making...Design, Engineering, Fabrication and More..." in celebration of National Manufacturing Day was a huge success.
SCV Students Gain Knowledge, Advice at National Manufacturing Day
A local company is expanding its footprint in the Santa Clarita Valley to accommodate business growth and another is relocating a division of its company from Sylmar.
Accurate Freight Systems Expands, Leases Space at IAC Commerce Center
The Domestic Violence Center (DVC) of Santa Clarita Valley is accepting applications for Adopt-a-Family 2017.
DVC of SCV Currently Accepting Adopt-a-Family 2017 Applications
Major Impact Theater, founded by Jill Garson and Shawnda Davis in 2014, is a non-profit theater group that specially adapts plays for performance by adults with disabilities in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Nov. 4: Major Impact Theater Presents Blunderland
California State University, Northridge will make history on Thursday, Oct. 26, by becoming the first California State University with a Sustainability Center.
Oct. 26: CSUN to Open Sustainability Center
Registration for the Purple Walk of Strength is now open.
Oct. 21: Purple Walk of Strength to Benefit Domestic Violence Center
Raising a child is a demanding job for any parent, especially when supportive resources seem to be elusive or nonexistent.
Oct. 22: CSUN Hosts Special Needs Resource Fair
College of the Canyons dominated its match vs. Bakersfield College from start to finish on Friday night, resulting in a 5-1 victory over the Renegades for the Cougars' first conference win of the season.
COC Gets First Conference Win of Season Against Bakersfield College
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Following a two-week layoff, College of the Canyons cross country was back in competition on Saturday, running with a mix of community college and Division I programs at the Sixth Annual UC Riverside Highlander Invitational.
COC Cross Country Back in Competition After Two Week Layoff