Clear
Clear

September 24
1855 - Sanford & Cyrus Lyon establish Lyon's Station (for stagecoaches) near today's Sierra Hwy & Newhall Ave [story]

phillipmichaelgriffinCoroner’s officials have identified the man who jumped off of the Via Princessa bridge in Canyon Country Sunday morning and ruled the death a suicide.

Phillip Michael Griffin, a 23-year-old Caucasian male from Canyon Country, was identified by Coroner’s officials, said Lt. Kelly Yagerlener with the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Griffin was reported missing on Thursday, August 20, 2015, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.

Griffin was last seen leaving his residence in Canyon Country on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.

He recently visited the Buddhist Temple in North Hollywood and is also reported to have been seen near the “River” in Canyon Country, according to the missing person report.

bridgeAt approximately 10:30 a.m., Griffin was observed hanging over the side of the bridge by a passenger of a passing car, said Aguilera.

The passenger had the intent to talk to Griffin to help him, however Griffin jumped without saying a word, Aguilera said.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene at approximately 10:33 a.m., said Lt. Tom Bryski with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Suicide Prevention

Recent statistics indicate the North Los Angeles County region has the highest rate of calls for attempted and completed suicides in Los Angeles County, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data.

For anyone seeking information about mental health resources available in the Santa Clarita Valley, below is a list and a link to more information:

There are 24-hour numbers available. In the event of an emergency, 911 should always be the first call. Those looking to speak with someone can call 1-800-273-8255, for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-854-7771, for The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health; and 1-800-784-2433, for The Treatment Advocacy Center. You can contact the SCV Child & Family Center at 661-259-9439. The phone number for the Santa Clarita Valley Youth Project is 661-257-9688.
– Heather Harbin contributed to this story.

1. Miguel Ramirez this is what happened

2. Pray for those who have been left behind. RIP Mr. Griffin

3. Laura Peach Laura Peach says:

Joe Peach Brad Peach

4. one report says it was death the other one says multiple injuries.

5. Sipri Vigil Sipri Vigil says:

Jorge Moran Joey Kivi saddening bro. They identified the body.

6. Ugh!! This is heartbreaking news!!! My sympathy goes out to the family!!!

7. Prayers for him and his family

8. So very sad. Sounds like he was a young man who suffered with mental illness. Sorry to the family.

9. Heartbreaking! My prayers go out to the family. 🙏🏽😔😢

10. That’s right next to my old house

11. enrique says:

Phil I will truely miss you. You were a good friend good influence and you helped enlighten me on my perspective in life. I love you and miss you my friend

12. Lori Root Lori Root says:

Heartbreaking that this young man thought this was his only option.

13. I truely miss my,friend Phil he helped me out alot

14. Prayers for his family

15. Jenny Curtis Jenny Curtis says:

Heartbreaking for the family

16. Prayers to his family & loved ones

17. Oh, so sad. I hadn’t heard about this. A few years ago, a woman jumped from this bridge too.

18. this makes me so sad.

19. This is terrible for the family and friends…. May he rest in peace now

20. Troy Crisco Troy Crisco says:

Permanent solution to temporary problems! So sad!

21. Robin Sota Robin Sota says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers for his loved ones.

22. Andrew Roche when I was driving to your house yesterday I saw the caution tape and had to merge around that cop car..

23. Oh no. When the story was posted of him missing, someone posted on that that he was found alive and well. Then I saw this story, and I hoped it wasn’t him. So sad.

RIP. :/

24. So sorry for the family loss. May he rest in peace

25. Lisa Baldwin Lisa Baldwin says:

So sad. Prayers to him and his family and friends.

26. Praying for his family and friends.. Heartbreaking 😔

27. Hope Flores says:

So sad! RIP

28. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends to have the strength to go through this very difficult time.

29. Prayers for his family
    So sad

30. My prayers to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31. As someone who has been through depression, it’s not a “mental illness” or “temporary solution”. Depression is physically debilitating and it feels like anything can trigger you. Sometimes it’s not something therapy or pills can solve overnight. My heart breaks when I see comments like this coming from people who have not personally been through it and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. I’m sure everyone has tried their hardest previous to the incident.

32. Was so hoping they had found him ok, poor family my prayers are with you!

33. Cynthia Fischer, Bill Fischerwas right

34. I have been reading posts from yesterday and today from all my young SCV friends! I didn’t know him but their posts are making me cry! Sad tragic! RIP young man! May you find comfort and happiness in your next life!

35. What a tragedy – such a handsome young man. Depression is debilitating. It is something no one can ever understand. It makes it worse when family is cruel to you (Not saying this is what happened to him) and it just makes you feel so alone in the world. People don’t care the way they used to – they never care until it is too late and like my mom always tells me, by then it is too late. My mom has always told me, “If you can’t be good to me when I am alive, don’t bother when I am dead”. There is so much truth to this. I don’t know what this young man went through in life. Maybe he had an incredible family – I hope he did. I hope that everyone around him was good to him and loved him the best they could. My condolences to his family and to everyone who loved him and knew him. What a sad day for everyone, even to those who did not know him. I hope he had a better family support than I do. I am lucky to have found FB friends on these sites, I am grateful for my daughter, I am thankful for my co-workers, and I am thankful FIRST to GOD who has ALWAYS been by my side and has never abandoned me. Family has been the most cruel – and sadly this puts people into deep depression. Before I even read this article, just this morning a co-worker told me that she cries because of the way her mom treats her. It just shouldn’t be this way. A mother, a sister, a brother, an aunt, an uncle, and any other extended family member should love with all their heart, especially when one is depressed or suffering with mental illness. People live for money, for FB, they live for what they can get in life. We see people on these sites pleading for a bed for their children, or for food, and someone will come on here and say, “I have one for $40.00” There used to be a time in this life when people would do whatever it took to help another human soul, at no cost. If you have an extra bed, GIVE it away. If you have extra food, pass it along. If you see someone crying, stop to talk to them. If you see a family member in pain over not so kind treatment “THEY” feel they are getting from family, just let them know that YOU love them without getting on the phone to gossip about them. If you see a mother in need of a diaper on this page, drive over a few to her without judgment. If she sells them then she can live with the consequences of it. But we really need to get back to caring about humans again with NO PRICE TAG attached. If you know someone who is depressed, use your last $5.00 to take them to Starbucks to have a talk. People need people. Make a difference in this life and help others out. What a sad story – not an outcome I expected, especially after reading the posts about him the other night

36. So sad!!! Prayers sent!! Xoxoxox

37. Depression is devastating for both the person who has it and those around them. Living life in hopelessness with out understanding is living no life at all. My heart breaks for this young person and that he thought that this was his only solution. If you have thoughts of suicide reach out to someone.

38. Ramiro Reyes Ramiro Reyes says:

Maria Rosales Matthew Rosales

39. So sad, we crossed the bridge ten minutes after he did it. My heart goes out to his family.

40. Very sad. May he rest in peace.

41. Toni Sanna Toni Sanna says:

Totally drove by and saw him standing there looking but he was on the street side, wish I would have known, but he just seemed like a guy admiring the view of the wash on a walk

42. Ben Green Ben Green says:

May his soul rest from his torment. He is no longer in pain. I wish to send my condolences to his family and friends.

43. Suicide doesn’t solve your problems it just passes them on to someone else

44. How sad! My heart goes out to his family.

45. Theresa McGrath Cowdray

46. When someone commits suicide it just transfers their hurt to the people who love them.

47. Man I was hoping so much it wasn’t him. F@$#

48. Such a sad story. He had his whole life ahead of him. My son is 23 and I just can’t even imagine this. Prayers for his family. May he now find peace

49. permanent solution too a temporary problem rip bud

50. I’m so sad, I pray for his family and all others who are hurting right now

51. Angela Chu Angela Chu says:

So tragic! Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP!

52. Oh!no”,,,,,,,,, why? ???? This bridge, 2nd dead, very Sad the ppl know were to go one last time. I was looking down t other day n it’s very high w/ train tracks on the under. Very Sad” :'( so young guy, :'( prayers for them n t Family’s. :'(

53. Too many young people losing their lives in SCV lately 😢

54. Marcy Torrey Marcy Torrey says:

My prayers are with his family.

55. We saw the aftermath: first responders, etc. But had no idea what was going on until we asked one of the bystanders. Poor soul. He must have been very troubled. Prayers for him and his family.

56. Jesse Zavala Jesse Zavala says:

So sad I work with aunt they were so Worried this is just Devastating Patty Morales

57. My condolences to family.

58. Gail Chung Gail Chung says:

Very sad he was too young

59. Mike Knapp Mike Knapp says:

What a sad situation:(rip young man

60. So sad. Prayers to his family.

61. I didn’t know him, but this makes me so sad….

62. Dolly Reyes Dolly Reyes says:

Omg so sad poor guy may he R.I.P

63. Missy Voss Missy Voss says:

Very well put Della Alesana. I suffer from Depression and anxiety so I get it and it hurts to see read this

64. May he rest in peace. My deepest thoughts and prayers to his family.

65. Jeff says:

Wish I could have done something to help. It’s sad because he’s not the only one feeling like that at this exact moment. Rest in paradise.

66. Poor troubled soul. May he rest in peace now and prayers go out to his family that have a long road to understanding & grief.

67. Val says:

So sad!!! My heart goes out to the family and friends. Prayers 😢

68. Koryne Dominguez Kimberly Gonzalez

69. Awful, just awful. Bless him and all concerned.

70. Rest in peace brother…

Depression is real;

71. Mike Petett Mike Petett says:

Maybe now the SCV cops will FINALLY take suicidal people as seriously as they’re actually required to….

72. Ariane Labrzycki did you see this? I know you had posted that you saw this in person

73. RIP young man xo Praying for family and friends, sorry for your loss . I have 3 people in my life who have done this xo

74. My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of this young man.

75. So sad I was hoping they would find him just so many tragedies here this month in Canyon Country

76. We live in a very tough world and I’m so sorry he felt the need/want to take his life….I am sending prayers to his family during this difficult time.

77. debi ess says:

R.I.p. philip. As a mom this has got to be the worst. My condolences to the family and friends. As for you danny I pray I dont ever cross paths with you. I WILL not hesitate to PUSH you off any bridge. Yea I said that. Peace

78. Mayte Razo Mayte Razo says:

Daniel A Rivas look babe by where u always run 😱😱

79. Life is tough we have to keep our heads up. Better days better days

80. Corey Wolff Corey Wolff says:

Dang that sucks they should put barbed wire fence.

81. Soares Dawn Soares Dawn says:

Prayers to his family. Rip Phil

82. Rest in peace phill you where a great kid. I just wish this didnt happen you will be miss by many

83. And earlier posts indicated he had been found after reported missing – was that true?

84. Paul Kersey says:

So he jumped on the 3rd anniversary of his own disappearance?

• SCVNews.com says:

What? You’re reading a 3-year-old story (in 2018). He was reported missing August 20, 2015, and jumped August 23, 2015.

Saturday, Sep 22, 2018
Charlie Fire in Castaic Grows to 3,380 acres, 10% Contained Sunday
Los Angeles County firefighters, along with Angeles National Forest Service, are battling the "Charlie Fire" in Castaic.
Friday, Sep 21, 2018
Sept. 29: Open House on Proposed High-Speed Rail Route Thru SCV
The California High-Speed Rail Authority has set an open house meeting in Agua Dulce on Saturday, Sept. 29 to gather public comment on the Palmdale to Burbank project section, which would closely follow Highway 14 through the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday, Sep 21, 2018
Brown Signs Bill Boosting Consumer Protection for Service Members
Among the bills recently passed by California lawmakers and signed into law Thursday by Gov. Jerry Brown was Assembly Bill 3212, designed to strengthen the state's consumer protections for service members and military families, including California National Guard soldiers and airmen.

1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
Charlie Fire in Castaic Grows to 3,380 acres, 10% Contained Sunday
1969 - College of the Canyons opens with first class of students in temporary quarters at Hart High School [story]
The contemporary art journal X-TRA and the Broad Museum in Downtown Los Angeles will present "The Un-Private Collection Workshop: Edgar Arceneaux" by the CalArts grad on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Sept. 22: Edgar Arceneaux Holds Financial Workshop at The Broad
The Master's University men's basketball team, which finished 29-3 last season, has released its 2018-19 schedule.
TMU Men’s Basketball Team Releases 2018-19 Schedule
The Los Angeles County Fire Department has launched an updated "Ready! Set! Go!" program to assist residents living in wildfire-prone areas.
Get Your Personal Ready! Set! Go! Wildfire Action Plan
The William S. Hart Union School District Board of Governors will recognize the district's 2018-2019 Teachers of the Year at the board's next regular meeting Wednesday night, Sept. 26.
Sept. 26: Hart Board to Honor District Teachers of the Year
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, Sept. 26.
Sept. 26: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The intersection of Newhall Ranch Road and McBean Parkway will be closed Tuesday, Sept. 25, from 8:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., for the Federal Overlay Project being completed by the city of Santa Clarita to resurface the road.
Newhall Ranch Road, McBean Parkway Intersection to Close Tuesday Night
Sept. 29: Open House on Proposed High-Speed Rail Route Thru SCV
Brown Signs Bill Boosting Consumer Protection for Service Members
TMU All-American senior Benji Tembo scored in overtime, handing The Master's a 3-2 victory over the visiting Flames on Reese Field on Thursday.
Tembo, Mangan Lead Mustangs to OT Victory
College of the Canyons has opened registration for a series of free, short-term career skills classes this fall in the afternoons, evenings and online.
COC Offers No-Cost Skills Classes Afternoons, Evenings, Online
A roundtable discussion about a proposed Los Angeles County fee-based business registration program is set for the Stevenson Ranch Library on Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Sept. 25: Roundtable on County’s Proposed Business Registration Fee
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Sept. 25, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Sept. 25: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The city of Santa Clarita has received the District Transparency Certificate of Excellence by the Special District Leadership Foundation in recognition of its outstanding efforts to promote transparency and good governance.
City Awarded Transparency Certificate of Excellence
College of the Canyons was ranked among the top 50 best U.S. colleges for adult learners in Washington Monthly magazine’s ranking of “Best Two-Year Colleges for Adult Learners.”
COC is No. 1 U.S. College for Adult Learners in SoCal
California Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday inked legislation aimed at breaking society’s “infatuation” with plastic straws, beginning in 2019.
California First State to Restrict Plastic Straws in Restaurants
A teenage female driver escaped serious injury when her van tipped over onto its left side on Dorothy Street in Santa Clarita Friday morning, according to authorities.
Teen Driver Escapes Serious Injury in Solo Tip-Over Crash
1974 - COC's new Cougar Stadium opens for first game of football season; Harbor beats COC, 26-21 [story]
The Old Town Newhall Association’s Chalk Art Festival is coming this weekend with dozens of local artists and organizations ready to share their works with the Santa Clarita Valley community.
Organizations, Local Artists Taking Part in This Weekend’s Chalk Art Festival
County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) encourages all pet owners to be prepared before disaster strikes.
Animal Care & Control Encourages Pet Owners to Prepare for Disasters
The contemporary art journal X-TRA and the Broad Museum in Downtown Los Angeles present, "The Un-Private Collection Workshop: Edgar Arceneaux" on Saturday, Sept. 22.
Sept. 22: CalArts Alum Presents Financial Workshop at Broad Museum
NORTHRIDGE - Senior defender Lindsay Kutscher has been selected as one of 30 women's soccer candidates for the Senior CLASS award.
CSUN’s Lindsay Kutscher Candidate for Senior CLASS Award
The Center for Digital Government (CDG) has presented the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation with one of its Best of California Awards, which recognize state and local government organizations for innovative technology initiatives.
County Parks & Recreation Recognized with Best of California Award
The city of Santa Clarita and Caltrans engineers have partnered with Caltrans to provide traffic enhancements.
City Implements Traffic Improvements at Sierra Highway, Golden Valley Road
Continuing the momentum developed from such programs as iTEENS during the school year and the Teen Summit hosted earlier in 2018, the city of Santa Clarita will host a teen leadership development training on Wednesday, Sept. 26, from 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., at the Newhall Community Center (22421 Market Street).
Sept. 26: ‘I Can Achieve Now!’ Teen Leadership Workshop
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN's Michael Merchan has been named Co-Big West Athlete of the Week for men's cross country. Merchan is the first Matador men's cross country student-athlete to earn the award since it was established in 2001. Merchan shares the honor with Nick Randazzo of UCSB.
CSUN’s Merchan Nabs Big West Co-Athlete of the Week
California Secretary of State Alex Padilla stopped by Golden Valley High School Wednesday morning to encourage students to register to vote.
CA Secretary of State Alex Padilla Encourages Local Students to Vote
SACRAMENTO — California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, the California Air Resources Board, and New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas filed suit Tuesday against the Trump Administration for its unlawful attempt to dismantle critical environmental waste protections.
Becerra Sues Trump Admin for Unlawful Attempt to Dismantle Waste Protections
Kaiser Permanente will open all seasonal flu clinics throughout Southern California on Saturday, Sept. 22, and urges all members to get their no-cost vaccinations early.
Sept. 22: Kaiser Permanente Opens Seasonal Flu Clinics Throughout So Cal
On Tuesday, The Home Depot Foundation increased its financial support to $3 million for disaster relief efforts and communities impacted by recent disasters, including Hurricane Florence, Olivia, the California wildfires and flooding in the Midwest.
Home Depot Foundation Increases Financial Support for Disaster Relief Efforts
Los Angeles County took a major step towards fostering a vibrant business ecosystem to help the local bioscience industry reach its full potential as a job-creating economic engine that advances breakthroughs in global health.
County Committed to Becoming Bioscience Global Leader
SACRAMENTO – Every day, thousands of parents and caregivers in California travel with children in their vehicle.
Sept. 23-29: Child Passenger Safety Week