Partly sunny
Partly sunny

June 21
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody). [story]

phillipmichaelgriffinCoroner’s officials have identified the man who jumped off of the Via Princessa bridge in Canyon Country Sunday morning and ruled the death a suicide.

Phillip Michael Griffin, a 23-year-old Caucasian male from Canyon Country, was identified by Coroner’s officials, said Lt. Kelly Yagerlener with the Los Angeles County Coroner’s office.

Griffin was reported missing on Thursday, August 20, 2015, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Louis Aguilera.

Griffin was last seen leaving his residence in Canyon Country on Wednesday, August 19, 2015.

He recently visited the Buddhist Temple in North Hollywood and is also reported to have been seen near the “River” in Canyon Country, according to the missing person report.

bridgeAt approximately 10:30 a.m., Griffin was observed hanging over the side of the bridge by a passenger of a passing car, said Aguilera.

The passenger had the intent to talk to Griffin to help him, however Griffin jumped without saying a word, Aguilera said.

Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s deputies arrived on scene at approximately 10:33 a.m., said Lt. Tom Bryski with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.

Suicide Prevention

Recent statistics indicate the North Los Angeles County region has the highest rate of calls for attempted and completed suicides in Los Angeles County, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department data.

For anyone seeking information about mental health resources available in the Santa Clarita Valley, below is a list and a link to more information:

There are 24-hour numbers available. In the event of an emergency, 911 should always be the first call. Those looking to speak with someone can call 1-800-273-8255, for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-854-7771, for The Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health; and 1-800-784-2433, for The Treatment Advocacy Center. You can contact the SCV Child & Family Center at 661-259-9439. The phone number for the Santa Clarita Valley Youth Project is 661-257-9688.
– Heather Harbin contributed to this story.

1. Miguel Ramirez this is what happened

2. Pray for those who have been left behind. RIP Mr. Griffin

3. Laura Peach Laura Peach says:

Joe Peach Brad Peach

4. one report says it was death the other one says multiple injuries.

5. Sipri Vigil Sipri Vigil says:

Jorge Moran Joey Kivi saddening bro. They identified the body.

6. Ugh!! This is heartbreaking news!!! My sympathy goes out to the family!!!

7. Prayers for him and his family

8. So very sad. Sounds like he was a young man who suffered with mental illness. Sorry to the family.

9. Heartbreaking! My prayers go out to the family. 🙏🏽😔😢

10. That’s right next to my old house

11. enrique says:

Phil I will truely miss you. You were a good friend good influence and you helped enlighten me on my perspective in life. I love you and miss you my friend

12. Lori Root Lori Root says:

Heartbreaking that this young man thought this was his only option.

13. I truely miss my,friend Phil he helped me out alot

14. Prayers for his family

15. Jenny Curtis Jenny Curtis says:

Heartbreaking for the family

16. Prayers to his family & loved ones

17. Oh, so sad. I hadn’t heard about this. A few years ago, a woman jumped from this bridge too.

18. this makes me so sad.

19. This is terrible for the family and friends…. May he rest in peace now

20. Troy Crisco Troy Crisco says:

Permanent solution to temporary problems! So sad!

21. Robin Sota Robin Sota says:

Heartbreaking. Prayers for his loved ones.

22. Andrew Roche when I was driving to your house yesterday I saw the caution tape and had to merge around that cop car..

23. Oh no. When the story was posted of him missing, someone posted on that that he was found alive and well. Then I saw this story, and I hoped it wasn’t him. So sad.

RIP. :/

24. So sorry for the family loss. May he rest in peace

25. Lisa Baldwin Lisa Baldwin says:

So sad. Prayers to him and his family and friends.

26. Praying for his family and friends.. Heartbreaking 😔

27. Hope Flores says:

So sad! RIP

28. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family and friends to have the strength to go through this very difficult time.

29. Prayers for his family
    So sad

30. My prayers to his family. I’m so sorry for your loss.

31. As someone who has been through depression, it’s not a “mental illness” or “temporary solution”. Depression is physically debilitating and it feels like anything can trigger you. Sometimes it’s not something therapy or pills can solve overnight. My heart breaks when I see comments like this coming from people who have not personally been through it and my heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man. I’m sure everyone has tried their hardest previous to the incident.

32. Was so hoping they had found him ok, poor family my prayers are with you!

33. Cynthia Fischer, Bill Fischerwas right

34. I have been reading posts from yesterday and today from all my young SCV friends! I didn’t know him but their posts are making me cry! Sad tragic! RIP young man! May you find comfort and happiness in your next life!

35. What a tragedy – such a handsome young man. Depression is debilitating. It is something no one can ever understand. It makes it worse when family is cruel to you (Not saying this is what happened to him) and it just makes you feel so alone in the world. People don’t care the way they used to – they never care until it is too late and like my mom always tells me, by then it is too late. My mom has always told me, “If you can’t be good to me when I am alive, don’t bother when I am dead”. There is so much truth to this. I don’t know what this young man went through in life. Maybe he had an incredible family – I hope he did. I hope that everyone around him was good to him and loved him the best they could. My condolences to his family and to everyone who loved him and knew him. What a sad day for everyone, even to those who did not know him. I hope he had a better family support than I do. I am lucky to have found FB friends on these sites, I am grateful for my daughter, I am thankful for my co-workers, and I am thankful FIRST to GOD who has ALWAYS been by my side and has never abandoned me. Family has been the most cruel – and sadly this puts people into deep depression. Before I even read this article, just this morning a co-worker told me that she cries because of the way her mom treats her. It just shouldn’t be this way. A mother, a sister, a brother, an aunt, an uncle, and any other extended family member should love with all their heart, especially when one is depressed or suffering with mental illness. People live for money, for FB, they live for what they can get in life. We see people on these sites pleading for a bed for their children, or for food, and someone will come on here and say, “I have one for $40.00” There used to be a time in this life when people would do whatever it took to help another human soul, at no cost. If you have an extra bed, GIVE it away. If you have extra food, pass it along. If you see someone crying, stop to talk to them. If you see a family member in pain over not so kind treatment “THEY” feel they are getting from family, just let them know that YOU love them without getting on the phone to gossip about them. If you see a mother in need of a diaper on this page, drive over a few to her without judgment. If she sells them then she can live with the consequences of it. But we really need to get back to caring about humans again with NO PRICE TAG attached. If you know someone who is depressed, use your last $5.00 to take them to Starbucks to have a talk. People need people. Make a difference in this life and help others out. What a sad story – not an outcome I expected, especially after reading the posts about him the other night

36. So sad!!! Prayers sent!! Xoxoxox

37. Depression is devastating for both the person who has it and those around them. Living life in hopelessness with out understanding is living no life at all. My heart breaks for this young person and that he thought that this was his only solution. If you have thoughts of suicide reach out to someone.

38. Ramiro Reyes Ramiro Reyes says:

Maria Rosales Matthew Rosales

39. So sad, we crossed the bridge ten minutes after he did it. My heart goes out to his family.

40. Very sad. May he rest in peace.

41. Toni Sanna Toni Sanna says:

Totally drove by and saw him standing there looking but he was on the street side, wish I would have known, but he just seemed like a guy admiring the view of the wash on a walk

42. Ben Green Ben Green says:

May his soul rest from his torment. He is no longer in pain. I wish to send my condolences to his family and friends.

43. Suicide doesn’t solve your problems it just passes them on to someone else

44. How sad! My heart goes out to his family.

45. Theresa McGrath Cowdray

46. When someone commits suicide it just transfers their hurt to the people who love them.

47. Man I was hoping so much it wasn’t him. F@$#

48. Such a sad story. He had his whole life ahead of him. My son is 23 and I just can’t even imagine this. Prayers for his family. May he now find peace

49. permanent solution too a temporary problem rip bud

50. I’m so sad, I pray for his family and all others who are hurting right now

51. Angela Chu Angela Chu says:

So tragic! Condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP!

52. Oh!no”,,,,,,,,, why? ???? This bridge, 2nd dead, very Sad the ppl know were to go one last time. I was looking down t other day n it’s very high w/ train tracks on the under. Very Sad” :'( so young guy, :'( prayers for them n t Family’s. :'(

53. Too many young people losing their lives in SCV lately 😢

54. Marcy Torrey Marcy Torrey says:

My prayers are with his family.

55. We saw the aftermath: first responders, etc. But had no idea what was going on until we asked one of the bystanders. Poor soul. He must have been very troubled. Prayers for him and his family.

56. Jesse Zavala Jesse Zavala says:

So sad I work with aunt they were so Worried this is just Devastating Patty Morales

57. My condolences to family.

58. Gail Chung Gail Chung says:

Very sad he was too young

59. Mike Knapp Mike Knapp says:

What a sad situation:(rip young man

60. So sad. Prayers to his family.

61. I didn’t know him, but this makes me so sad….

62. Dolly Reyes Dolly Reyes says:

Omg so sad poor guy may he R.I.P

63. Missy Voss Missy Voss says:

Very well put Della Alesana. I suffer from Depression and anxiety so I get it and it hurts to see read this

64. May he rest in peace. My deepest thoughts and prayers to his family.

65. Jeff says:

Wish I could have done something to help. It’s sad because he’s not the only one feeling like that at this exact moment. Rest in paradise.

66. Poor troubled soul. May he rest in peace now and prayers go out to his family that have a long road to understanding & grief.

67. Val says:

So sad!!! My heart goes out to the family and friends. Prayers 😢

68. Koryne Dominguez Kimberly Gonzalez

69. Awful, just awful. Bless him and all concerned.

70. Rest in peace brother…

Depression is real;

71. Mike Petett Mike Petett says:

Maybe now the SCV cops will FINALLY take suicidal people as seriously as they’re actually required to….

72. Ariane Labrzycki did you see this? I know you had posted that you saw this in person

73. RIP young man xo Praying for family and friends, sorry for your loss . I have 3 people in my life who have done this xo

74. My deepest sympathies to the family & friends of this young man.

75. So sad I was hoping they would find him just so many tragedies here this month in Canyon Country

76. We live in a very tough world and I’m so sorry he felt the need/want to take his life….I am sending prayers to his family during this difficult time.

77. debi ess says:

R.I.p. philip. As a mom this has got to be the worst. My condolences to the family and friends. As for you danny I pray I dont ever cross paths with you. I WILL not hesitate to PUSH you off any bridge. Yea I said that. Peace

78. Mayte Razo Mayte Razo says:

Daniel A Rivas look babe by where u always run 😱😱

79. Life is tough we have to keep our heads up. Better days better days

80. Corey Wolff Corey Wolff says:

Dang that sucks they should put barbed wire fence.

81. Soares Dawn Soares Dawn says:

Prayers to his family. Rip Phil

82. Rest in peace phill you where a great kid. I just wish this didnt happen you will be miss by many

83. And earlier posts indicated he had been found after reported missing – was that true?

Thursday, Jun 21, 2018
Firefighters Battling 1-2 Acre Fire Near Newhall Pass
Firefighters are battling a brush fire at the Sunshine Canyon Landfill that started around 3:00 p.m. Thursday.
Thursday, Jun 21, 2018
SCV Home, Condo Sales Drop Amid Tight Inventory, Rising Interest Rates
An already extremely tight inventory bumped into rising interest rates to further complicate home sales during May in the Santa Clarita Valley, which saw drops in home and condominium closed escrows compared to a year ago, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported Thursday.
Thursday, Jun 21, 2018
Detectives Seek Public’s Help in Nabbing Tip Jar Thief
Detectives from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station are looking for a male suspect who stole a tip jar from a local coffee shop. Details below are from the Facebook page of the SCV Sheriff's Station:

The ARTree still has openings for next week's Junior Arts Sampler and "I Made That!" pastel classes.
ARTree Summer Classes Still Available
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session, Monday, June 25, at 6:30 p.m.
June 25: Arts Commission Study Session
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold a teleconference meeting, Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
June 28: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a special meeting Tuesday, June 26, at 5:30 p.m.
June 26: Santa Clarita City Council Special Meeting
Firefighters Battling 1-2 Acre Fire Near Newhall Pass
Glenn Frankel and Keri Walsh have been named 2018 Academy Film Scholars by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Academy Honors 2018 Film Scholars
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce and Sweat Box Sauna Bar as they celebrate the opening of their new location.
June 27: Grand Opening Celebration Sweat Box Sauna Bar
Fresh Mustang connections to Major League Baseball didn't end with the draft earlier this month. Master's graduate David Sheaffer, who transferred before his final collegiate season to pursue an international MBA program, signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Mariners on June 10.
TMU Alum Signs with Seattle Mariners
There are spots still available on the Saugus Spartans Football program for kids between the ages of 6-8 years old.
Spots Still Open on Saugus Spartans Football Program
SCV Home, Condo Sales Drop Amid Tight Inventory, Rising Interest Rates
Detectives Seek Public’s Help in Nabbing Tip Jar Thief
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting. There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.
July 28: Children’s Bureau Foster Care, Adoption Information Meeting
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will be conducting a specialized Motorcycle Safety Enforcement Operation on Friday, June 22, in the city of Santa Clarita in an effort to lower deaths and injuries.
LASD to Conduct Specialized Motorcycle Safety Operation
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for all individuals in Santa Clarita Valley and for sensitive individuals in East San Gabriel Valley area tomorrow, Friday, June 22.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
CalArts alumna and faculty member Brigette Barrager (BFA Film/Video 07) was awarded the Christopher Award for Distinguished Achievement for her illustration of "Pocket Full of Colors."
CalArts Faculty Brigette Barrager Wins Christopher Award
"Window Lace," the first exhibit by CalArts students to be presented at the Westfield Valencia Town Center Mall, is now open on the mall's first floor across from H&M and will be on display through the end of summer 2018.
CalArts Opens its First Art Exhibit at Westfield Valencia Mall
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that Jennifer Todd has won the runoff election for the open Producers Branch seat on the 2018–19 Board of Governors.
Producer Jennifer Todd Voted to Academy Board of Governors
California's median home price reached a new high in May, while home sales retreated both on a monthly and annual basis, wiping out most of the gains posted for the year, the California Association of Realtors said Tuesday.
California Median Home Price Hits Record High, Sales Drop in May
In an effort to transform California’s relationship to energy markets in the western region of the country, lawmakers on Tuesday advanced a bill that would merge California into a regional energy market.
California’s Controversial Energy-Grid Bill Advances
Santa Clarita-based SOS Entertainment has been named the 38th Assembly District’s Business of the Year, Assemblyman Dante Acosta (R-Santa Clarita) announced Wednesday.
SOS Entertainment Named 38th Assembly District Business of the Year
Tickets are now on sale for “A Doll’s House,” “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and “Harold and Maude,” three theater productions to be presented in June and July at The Main in Old Town Newhall.
Tickets on Sale for 3 New Theater Productions at The Main
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan announced on Wednesday the fifth ballot counting update for the Statewide Direct Primary Election.
Fifth Election Results Update for June 5 Primary Election
Los Angeles County has engaged information technology leader IBM Security Services to conduct an independent review and evaluation of the systems and procedures used in the production and printing of voter rosters for the June 5 Statewide Direct Primary Election.
L.A. County Selects IBM Security Services to Review Voter Roster Error
The Assembly Committee on Public Safety unanimously passed Senate Bill 1024, the Animal Cruelty & Violence Intervention Act of 2018, introduced by Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, to change the way California handles animal abuse offenders, Wilk announced Wednesday.
Wilk Animal Offender Bill Passes Assembly Public Safety Committee
Separate bills authored by California Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, to improve management of sex offenders and to streamline cultivation of industrial hemp have cleared the Assembly Committee on Public Safety, Wilk announced Wednesday.
Wilk Sex Offender, Industrial Hemp Bills Clear Assembly Committee
World-traveled rock-R&B-funk band Teresa James & The Rhythm Tramps returns to headline the free Valencia Jazz & Blues concert on the street outside the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Friday, June 22 starting at 7 p.m.
June 22: Teresa James & Rhythm Tramps at Valencia Jazz & Blues
The California Senate Energy, Utilities & Communications Committee voted Tuesday to pass legislation turning California into a giant Western power trading casino that puts ratepayers and the environment at risk, Consumer Watchdog said in condemning the vote for AB 813.
Consumer Watchdog Condemns California Senate Energy Committee Vote for Power Trading
The JetHawks' Roberto Ramos won the pregame Home Run Derby, but the North Division took down the South, 8-1, in the California League All-Star Game at The Hangar in Lancaster Tuesday night.
Ramos Wins Home Run Derby, But South Drops All-Star Game
The Assembly Committee on Higher Education unanimously approved Senate Bill 1356 introduced by California Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, to provide state funding for a California Institute for Aerospace in the Antelope Valley.
Wilk Aerospace Institute Bill Soars Through Legislature
Nine Northeast and West Coast states including California Wednesday reaffirmed their strong commitment to a clean, low-carbon transportation sector with the release of a new Multi-State Zero Emission Vehicle Action Plan for 2018-2021 to support the successful implementation of the states’ ZEV programs.
California Lauds Multi-State Zero-Emissions Vehicle Plan
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man and woman from Long Beach on various charges including suspected identity theft and possession of counterfeit cash in Saugus Monday afternoon.
Long Beach Couple Arrested for Suspected ID Theft, Bogus Bills
2002 - "Legacy: Santa Clarita's Living History" series debuts on SCVTV with "Placerita Gold" episode [watch]
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for June 20 -22:
June 20-22: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
NORTHRIDGE- CSUN Athletics is mourning the passing of former women's golf coach Bonnie Murphy who lost her five-year battle with cancer on Saturday, June 17.
Matadors Mourn Loss of Former Women’s Golf Coach
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce will be holding a networking social where attendees will receive a voucher for 50% off their next purchase with Ashley Furniture in Santa Clarita, and anyone who takes a comfort test on a Tempur Pedic mattress will receive a $50 gift card.
June 20: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Social