Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

July 25
1915 - Pioneer Juan Batista Suraco buried in a family graveyard, currently unmarked, in Bouquet Canyon near Benz Road [story]
Suraco family

| Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021
vaccination site
A security guard moves cones to direct some of the hundreds of vehicles in line at the Six Flags Magic Mountain site in Valencia for COVID-19 shots on Tuesday, January 19, 2021. | Photo: Dan Watson / The Signal.

The Los Angeles County Public Health Department opened the Six Flags Magic Mountain vaccination site Tuesday, one of the five larger vaccination sites opened this week in conjunction with the Fire Department and other agencies.

And in spite of the windy conditions creating difficulties for the professional health care workers, officials planned to administer 2,400 vaccines Tuesday, with the site capable of as many as 4,000 daily administrations.

Those queuing for anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour at Magic Mountain to receive their doses were all health care workers described as “high risk,” according to Marco Rodriguez, a public information officer for the L.A. County Fire Department.

“People are divided into different tiers, and right now it’s the health care workers that are exposed to contaminated surfaces, etc.,” said Rodriguez. “So those are the people that are high risk and getting the vaccine.”

In order to receive their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine at Magic Mountain, health care workers were told to make their appointment online and confirm their status as a health care professional. Then, once arriving at Magic Mountain, they would need to show some form of identification or proof to site staff to proceed through the line in their vehicles.

vaccination site

Hundreds of vehicles line up at the entrance of Six Flags Magic Mountain for people to get vaccination shots in Valencia on Tuesday, January 19, 2021. | Photo: Dan Watson / The Signal.

At approximately 10:40 a.m., the line of vehicles stretched from the administration site in the parking lots behind Magic Mountain, winding past the perimeter of Hurricane Harbor, and out through the park’s entrance running parallel to the X-2 roller coaster.

Approximately 200 nurses, health care professionals and Fire Department personnel are working at Magic Mountain to administer the Pfizer vaccine, which will require those receiving their first dose on Tuesday to eventually sign up to receive their second required dose in three weeks, Rodriguez said.

“Depending on the type of vaccine they received, they will be funneled through different sites,” said Rodriguez. “To get it again, they have to go online and register for the second dose, and they’ll be directed to where that will be offered.”

vaccination site

Los Angeles County employees check reservations as hundreds of vehicles line up at Six Flags Magic Mountain for vaccination shots in Valencia on Tuesday, 011921. Dan Watson/The Signal

The vaccination site is scheduled to be open, as of Tuesday, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., seven days a week, with a plan in place for them to expand those hours if need be, Rodriguez said.

“We are prepared to provide our parking lot as long as L.A. County needs in order to facilitate vaccination efforts,” said Jerry Certonio, the manager of marketing and public relations for Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor. “As a longtime member of the greater Los Angeles community, Six Flags Magic Mountain is honored to be a COVID-19 vaccination site to help facilitate a broader vaccine distribution in the community, including the Santa Clarita Valley.”

“We do look forward to reopening our parks and offering our guests a safe entertainment experience once again,” Certonio added.

For more information about the vaccine process through L.A. County, click here.

vaccination site

1. Ruth Madison says:

Vaccine
    Age 70

2. Mirna E Aguila says:

I am 65 years of age, and I wanted to be vaccinated.

3. Ray sainz says:

I am 61 with 3 underline conditions

4. DENISE PIGORS says:

I HAVE AN ELDERLY MOTHER THAT IS OVER 90. IS THERE ANY APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE FOR THE COVID VACCINE.

5. Julie Toon says:

My husband and I are over 70 years old and need a covid vaccination.

6. Francine Lombardo says:

Appt. for second Phizer shot

7. Francine Lombardo says:

I need get my 2nd shot of COVID-19 Iam 73years old I got the first shot already

8. Lois Regan says:

I am 81 years old and would like to make an appointment for the first vaccine injection.

9. Harvey magidow says:

Need first vaccine for me and my senior wife, Sue Magidow. I am 77 and Sue is 74. Need appointment

10. Mary Trimmell says:

I am 68 years and need my first shot

11. Mary Denardo says:

I am 82 years old and finished chemo in December, need to get vaccinated but want to go to a drive through location.

12. Ravinder Basi says:

Jam 66 years old . I want the Pfizer vaccine.

13. dolores phillips says:

can i make an appt.foe vaccine i am over 75

14. Sharon Robinson says:

I am 70 with 3 underline conditions.

15. john briscoe says:

when can i get the vaccination

16. Caroline bybee says:

I have underline health problems I am 67 yrs and my husband is 71 yrs. we want to get the vaccines. We do meals on wheels in. Santa Clarita

17. I’m Cynthia Wight says:

I’m 66 yrs old. May I’ll b 67. I have a compromised immune system. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis & asthma. I would like an appt to get a Covid vaccination

18. Marta E Villa says:

Our second doses are going to be in February 10

19. Ramirez Maria says:

I’m a health worquer

20. Sandra&Stanley Gerston says:

We are 85 & 89 yrs old and need a drive through sight. We can not do lot of walking

21. Stanley&Sandra gerston says:

We are 85&89 yrs old. We need our 1st shots. We need a drive through. Can not stand or walk much. Would like an appt.

22. william scott says:

Monday Feb 1st My wife and I are 78/72 yrs old we need the first shot. how can we get it.

23. Angela Balsano says:

Age 74

24. Zaven Lusparyan says:

I am 68 years old with 4 underlying conditions. where can I make an appointment for my first shot?

• SCVNews.com says:

You’ve asked your question on a TV station’s website. We don’t know; we’d suggest you ask your health care provider.

25. Judith Clarke says:

My husband and I were able to make an appointment on Saturday evening 1/31 and hot the appointments for 1st shot on Wednesday 2/3 and 2nd shot scheduled for 2/24. Fantastic experience. Very smooth process. Good job everyone.

26. Caron James Garrett says:

Please🙏I need appointment for my friend she is 78 years old , l like to take her , to give her vaccination. Thanks very much

27. Masi tavakol says:

Waiting for my vaccin

28. Vickie Vallejos says:

I am 63 years old going on 64. I have several underlying conditions and was wondering if I could get the vaccine since we have lost 2 family members with covid. My husbands cousin and my so. In laws grandmother.
    I have high blood pressure goes up to 220. My Triglycerides are up to 1192 . Been on chemo fir 5 years so I don’t have an immune system . Could I please get the vaccine ? Even if I have to wait In Line for no show people .

Friday, Jul 23, 2021
Atkins Delays Resigning from SCV Water Board
Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency board member BJ Atkins told The Signal Thursday he has delayed his plan to resign from the board, due to construction delays on a house he is building outside of the agency’s jurisdiction.
Friday, Jul 23, 2021
Cleanup of Whittaker-Bermite Land Completed, Land Remains Up in the Air
As the cleanup of close to 1,000 acres of contaminated soil and water at Whittaker-Bermite comes to a close, and while lawyers in bankruptcy court hundreds of miles from the site slice through litigation so that one day stores or homes can be built there, the land itself is reverting to the way it was long before the dynamite makers made a mess of it, where the deer — if not the antelope — and other critters play, marking a robust return of wildlife.
Friday, Jul 23, 2021
Friday COVID-19 Roundup: County Reports Over 3,000 New COVID-19 Cases for First Time Since February 13; Henry Mayo Reports Highest Hospitalizations since March
On Friday, Los Angeles County Public Health officials confirmed seven new deaths and 3,058 new cases of COVID-19, marking the third day in a row with more than 2,500 cases reported in a day.

Suraco family
1864 - Walker/Reynier family patriarch Jean Joseph Reynier, then 15, arrives in Sand Canyon from France; eventually homesteads 1,200 acres [story]
Joseph Reynier
The Soraya, located at the California State University, Northridge campus, announced it is celebrating both its 10th Anniversary and its reopening with a special gift of five free concerts to welcome back and thank its loyal audience.
The Soraya Celebrates 10th Anniversary, Reopening with 5 Free Concerts
Atkins Delays Resigning from SCV Water Board
Cleanup of Whittaker-Bermite Land Completed, Land Remains Up in the Air
The city of Santa Clarita and Canyon View Estates have proposed two differing judgments in court filings this month on the matter of a solar panel system at the Canyon Country mobile home park.
City, Canyon View Estates Diverge on Solar Panel System Removal
Newhall School District board members voted unanimously Tuesday to ask the California Department of Public Health to provide new face-covering guidance to give the district discretion over whether to make masks optional.
Newhall School District Votes to Ask CDPH for More Leniency on Mask Policies
With the 2021 Tokyo Olympics getting underway, the final rosters are set and athletes across the country are ready to begin competition and represent the USA at today’s Opening Ceremony — including some of the Santa Clarita Valley’s own elite athletes.
Final Rosters for Tokyo Olympics Include a Handful of SCV Athletes
To kick off its return to service in the U.S., Princess Cruises and Holland America Line held a celebration at the Port of Seattle on Friday, July 23.
Princess Cruises and Holland America Line Kick Off Return To Service In the U.S. From Port Of Seattle
The city of Santa Clarita is calling all Recycle Heroes! The city announced it is inviting residents to participate in a citywide social media contest where residents create their own TikTok video themed after the city’s Recycle Hero campaign, which encourages residents to recycle right.
City Announces Recycle Hero TikTok Social Media Contest
1982 - Vic Morrow & two child actors killed in helicopter crash at Indian Dunes during filming of "Twilight Zone: The Movie" [story]
Twilight Zone Movie
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday 13 new deaths and 2,767 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 29,192 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Sees Surge in Delta Variant; SCV Cases Total 29,192
Green Santa Clarita is excited to launch a newly redesigned website filled with valuable resources and programming for Santa Clarita residents and businesses looking to live more sustainably.
Green Santa Clarita’s Redesigned Website Offers Sustainability Resources
CSUN has named Trent Johnson Interim Head Men's Basketball Coach, the university announced Tuesday.
CSUN Names Trent Johnson Interim Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Los Angeles County Waterworks Districts will begin work to replace a water main in the unincorporated community of Val Verde (District No. 36).
Val Verde Residents Warned of Traffic Delays Due to Upcoming Water Main Project
Supervisor Kathryn Barger, whose 5th District includes the Santa Clarita Valley, has authored a motion to create a Blue-Ribbon Commission on Homelessness that, if approved, will provide guidance and recommendations to the Board of Supervisors on reforms to solve the homelessness crisis throughout Los Angeles County.
Barger Proposes Blue-Ribbon Commission on L.A. County’s Homelessness
The Child and Family Center of Santa Clarita was one of 63 nonprofits receiving part of the $750,000 in grant awards from the Los Angeles County Department of Arts and Culture, as a part of the County's Community Impact Arts Grant (CIAG) program.
Child & Family Center Receives L.A. County Arts and Culture Grant
After several fires in the Santa Clarita Valley this past week, everyone from utility representatives to fire officials to meteorologists is reminding residents that, due to unusually dry weather during fire season, they should have their Ready! Set! Go! plans ready to go.
Residents Reminded of Wildfire Action Plan as Officials Brace for Fire Season
A Los Angeles County Fire Department captain was arrested on suspicion of assault following an altercation in Stevenson Ranch earlier this month.
LACoFD Fire Captain Arrested on Suspicion of Assault After Stevenson Ranch Altercation
Mayor Bill Miranda spoke directly with the committee recommending the transfer of violent juvenile offenders to Camps Scott and Scudder on Wednesday, saying the move required more environmental impact reports and public outreach.
Miranda Tells Camps Scott, Scudder Committee More EIRs, Public Outreach Required
SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond hosted Wednesday the first American Indian Education Oversight Committee (AIEOC) meeting since 2017.
State Schools Chief Hosts First American Indian Education Oversight Committee Meeting Since 2017
2000 - Historic Larinan house in Pico Canyon burns down [story]
Larinan house burning
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital announced that Logix Federal Credit Union will continue to sponsor the hospital's Foundation Palliative Care Teddy Bear program.
Henry Mayo And Logix Announces Continued Partnership In Palliative Care Teddy Bear Program