Clear
Clear

January 26
1990 - "Duplicates" premieres at L.A. Phil; concerto by CalArts Music School dean Mel Powell wins Pulitzer Prize [story]
Mel Powell

| Wednesday, Jan 20, 2021
vaccination site
A security guard moves cones to direct some of the hundreds of vehicles in line at the Six Flags Magic Mountain site in Valencia for COVID-19 shots on Tuesday, January 19, 2021. | Photo: Dan Watson / The Signal.

The Los Angeles County Public Health Department opened the Six Flags Magic Mountain vaccination site Tuesday, one of the five larger vaccination sites opened this week in conjunction with the Fire Department and other agencies.

And in spite of the windy conditions creating difficulties for the professional health care workers, officials planned to administer 2,400 vaccines Tuesday, with the site capable of as many as 4,000 daily administrations.

Those queuing for anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour at Magic Mountain to receive their doses were all health care workers described as “high risk,” according to Marco Rodriguez, a public information officer for the L.A. County Fire Department.

“People are divided into different tiers, and right now it’s the health care workers that are exposed to contaminated surfaces, etc.,” said Rodriguez. “So those are the people that are high risk and getting the vaccine.”

In order to receive their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine at Magic Mountain, health care workers were told to make their appointment online and confirm their status as a health care professional. Then, once arriving at Magic Mountain, they would need to show some form of identification or proof to site staff to proceed through the line in their vehicles.

vaccination site

Hundreds of vehicles line up at the entrance of Six Flags Magic Mountain for people to get vaccination shots in Valencia on Tuesday, January 19, 2021. | Photo: Dan Watson / The Signal.

At approximately 10:40 a.m., the line of vehicles stretched from the administration site in the parking lots behind Magic Mountain, winding past the perimeter of Hurricane Harbor, and out through the park’s entrance running parallel to the X-2 roller coaster.

Approximately 200 nurses, health care professionals and Fire Department personnel are working at Magic Mountain to administer the Pfizer vaccine, which will require those receiving their first dose on Tuesday to eventually sign up to receive their second required dose in three weeks, Rodriguez said.

“Depending on the type of vaccine they received, they will be funneled through different sites,” said Rodriguez. “To get it again, they have to go online and register for the second dose, and they’ll be directed to where that will be offered.”

vaccination site

Los Angeles County employees check reservations as hundreds of vehicles line up at Six Flags Magic Mountain for vaccination shots in Valencia on Tuesday, 011921. Dan Watson/The Signal

The vaccination site is scheduled to be open, as of Tuesday, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., seven days a week, with a plan in place for them to expand those hours if need be, Rodriguez said.

“We are prepared to provide our parking lot as long as L.A. County needs in order to facilitate vaccination efforts,” said Jerry Certonio, the manager of marketing and public relations for Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor. “As a longtime member of the greater Los Angeles community, Six Flags Magic Mountain is honored to be a COVID-19 vaccination site to help facilitate a broader vaccine distribution in the community, including the Santa Clarita Valley.”

“We do look forward to reopening our parks and offering our guests a safe entertainment experience once again,” Certonio added.

For more information about the vaccine process through L.A. County, click here.

vaccination site

1. Ruth Madison says:

Vaccine
    Age 70

2. Mirna E Aguila says:

I am 65 years of age, and I wanted to be vaccinated.

3. Ray sainz says:

I am 61 with 3 underline conditions

4. DENISE PIGORS says:

I HAVE AN ELDERLY MOTHER THAT IS OVER 90. IS THERE ANY APPOINTMENTS AVAILABLE FOR THE COVID VACCINE.

5. Julie Toon says:

My husband and I are over 70 years old and need a covid vaccination.

6. Francine Lombardo says:

Appt. for second Phizer shot

7. Francine Lombardo says:

I need get my 2nd shot of COVID-19 Iam 73years old I got the first shot already

8. Lois Regan says:

I am 81 years old and would like to make an appointment for the first vaccine injection.

9. Harvey magidow says:

Need first vaccine for me and my senior wife, Sue Magidow. I am 77 and Sue is 74. Need appointment

10. Mary Trimmell says:

I am 68 years and need my first shot

11. Mary Denardo says:

I am 82 years old and finished chemo in December, need to get vaccinated but want to go to a drive through location.

12. Ravinder Basi says:

Jam 66 years old . I want the Pfizer vaccine.

13. dolores phillips says:

can i make an appt.foe vaccine i am over 75

14. Sharon Robinson says:

I am 70 with 3 underline conditions.

15. john briscoe says:

when can i get the vaccination

16. Caroline bybee says:

I have underline health problems I am 67 yrs and my husband is 71 yrs. we want to get the vaccines. We do meals on wheels in. Santa Clarita

17. I’m Cynthia Wight says:

I’m 66 yrs old. May I’ll b 67. I have a compromised immune system. I have severe rheumatoid arthritis & asthma. I would like an appt to get a Covid vaccination

18. Marta E Villa says:

Our second doses are going to be in February 10

19. Ramirez Maria says:

I’m a health worquer

20. Sandra&Stanley Gerston says:

We are 85 & 89 yrs old and need a drive through sight. We can not do lot of walking

21. Stanley&Sandra gerston says:

We are 85&89 yrs old. We need our 1st shots. We need a drive through. Can not stand or walk much. Would like an appt.

22. william scott says:

Monday Feb 1st My wife and I are 78/72 yrs old we need the first shot. how can we get it.

23. Angela Balsano says:

Age 74

24. Zaven Lusparyan says:

I am 68 years old with 4 underlying conditions. where can I make an appointment for my first shot?

• SCVNews.com says:

You’ve asked your question on a TV station’s website. We don’t know; we’d suggest you ask your health care provider.

25. Judith Clarke says:

My husband and I were able to make an appointment on Saturday evening 1/31 and hot the appointments for 1st shot on Wednesday 2/3 and 2nd shot scheduled for 2/24. Fantastic experience. Very smooth process. Good job everyone.

26. Caron James Garrett says:

Please?I need appointment for my friend she is 78 years old , l like to take her , to give her vaccination. Thanks very much

27. Masi tavakol says:

Waiting for my vaccin

28. Vickie Vallejos says:

I am 63 years old going on 64. I have several underlying conditions and was wondering if I could get the vaccine since we have lost 2 family members with covid. My husbands cousin and my so. In laws grandmother.
    I have high blood pressure goes up to 220. My Triglycerides are up to 1192 . Been on chemo fir 5 years so I don’t have an immune system . Could I please get the vaccine ? Even if I have to wait In Line for no show people .

Thursday, Jan 26, 2023
Jan. 28: ‘Know Your Nature Center’ Grand Opening
Friends of Placerita Canyon Natural Area invite the public to share in the grand opening of the new "Know Your Nature Center" on Saturday, Jan. 28, at 2 p.m.
Thursday, Jan 26, 2023
Feb. 4: COC, Valencia High Partner to Host Sports Med Fair
The College of the Canyons Sports Medicine Program and Valencia High School Medical Science Academy will host the 2023 Sports Medicine Professions Fair on Saturday, Feb. 4, from 10 a.m. - noon, at the college's Valencia campus.
Thursday, Jan 26, 2023
John Shaffery Named New SCVEDC Co-Chair
On Jan. 19, the Board of Directors for the Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation approved long-time board member John Shaffery, managing partner of Poole Shaffery, to step into the role of Board co-chair as successor to Roger Seaver.

NEW ORLEANS – The California State University, Northridge Men's and Women's Cross Country programs earned U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association All-Academic Teams for the 2022 NCAA Division I Cross Country season as announced by the USTFCCCA Thursday.
Matadors Cross Country Programs Named to All-Academic Teams
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency Board of Directors will now be meeting in-person for all Committee meetings.
Feb. 2: SCV Water Engineering, Operations Committee Regular Meeting
Jan. 28: ‘Know Your Nature Center’ Grand Opening
Join Landmark Opera at Santa Clarita United Methodist Church as it presents Gilbert and Sullivan's famous operetta, "The Pirates of Penzance," Sunday, Feb. 5, at 2 p.m.
Feb. 5: Landmark Opera Presenting ‘Pirates of Penzance’
In Santa Clarita Valley Economic Development Corporation's latest episode, you’ll learn about DrinkPAK, a premier contract manufacturer of premium alcoholic and non-alcohol beverages based in Santa Clarita.
SCVEDC’s Latest Podcast Features DrinkPAK CEO Nate Patena
Feb. 4: COC, Valencia High Partner to Host Sports Med Fair
The Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at College of the Canyons will present "Perondi’s Stunt Dog Experience" on Sunday, May 21. Two shows will be offered at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
May 21: Santa Clarita PAC Presents ‘Perondi’s Stunt Dog Experience’
John Shaffery Named New SCVEDC Co-Chair
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station reminds Santa Clarita Valley residents that the past rain event may have created great riding trails, but riding off highway vehicles unauthorized on private property is considered trespassing.
Unauthorized Off Highway Vehicle Owners Reminded to Remain Off Private Property
SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced a new partnership at a press event today between the California Department of Education and California Volunteers, Office of the Governor, to promote new pathways for California Volunteers service corps members — a group that includes 10,000 per year across all corps, including the California Climate Action Corps, AmeriCorps, #CaliforniansForAll Youth Jobs and #CaliforniansForAll College Corps — to become teachers in California classrooms.
State Schools Chief Unveils Plans to Recruit More Teachers
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday no additional deaths and 62 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley, with 23 additional deaths and 1,095 new cases countywide.
Thursday COVID Roundup: 62 New SCV Cases
Mel Powell
Nominations for the 2023 Santa Clarita Chamber of Commerce Business Choice Awards is coming to a close soon.
Jan. 31: Deadline for Nominations for Chamber’s Business Choice Awards
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has issued beach closures for the following areas due to the release of approximately 64,000 gallons of untreated sewage:
Several Beaches Close Due to 64k Gallons of Sewage
The Santa Clarita Community College District’s Independent Citizens’ Bond Oversight Committee voted to accept the results of an independent audit confirming the district properly accounted for all bond expenditures in the 2021-22 fiscal year.
Audit of COC Bond Spending Affirmed
Nominations for the yearly SCV Man & Woman of the Year are coming to a close, but there is still several days left to submit a nomination.
Last Chance to Nominate 2023 SCV Man & Woman of the Year
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health cautions residents who are planning to visit the below Los Angeles County beaches to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in ocean waters:
Ocean Water Use Warning For Jan. 25
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors passed Supervisors Lindsey P. Horvath’s and Hilda Solis' motion to extend COVID-19 eviction protections for renters and further the process of setting up rental assistance programs for renters and owners.
Supervisors Extend Eviction Protections For County
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors asked the State of California to launch an investigation into natural gas utility bill spikes that County residents experienced this month and to develop a plan to prevent future spikes.
County Requests State Leaders Investigate Natural Gas Price Increase
With their striking orange wings laced with black lines and bordered with white dots, monarch butterflies and their annual migration south from the United States and Canada to California and Mexico have become the stuff of legend. But habitat loss threatens the future of not just the butterflies, but other pollinators essential to the nation’s ecosystems.
CSUN Student Receives Grant to Increase Habitat for Butterfly, Other Pollinators
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health today confirmed 22 new deaths throughout L.A. County, 1,254 new cases countywide and 20 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID Roundup: Santa Clarita Adds 20 Cases to Total Count
1915 - Death of pre-Mentry oilman & San Francisquito vintner Ramon Perea [story]
Perea grave marker
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a motion today by Supervisor Kathryn Barger and co-authored by Supervisor Holly J. Mitchell that establishes a $45M countywide relief fund for small property owners. The new rent relief program will benefit mom-and-pop property owners hardest hit by non-payment of rent.
Board of Supes to Bring $45M in Relief for Small Property Owners
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health today confirmed 20 new deaths throughout L.A. County, 919 new cases countywide and 118 new cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Tuesday COVID Roundup: 20 New COVID Deaths, 919 New Cases in County