Sunny
Sunny

July 20
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]

SEE ALSO: Full Statement from the REP

[KHTS] – An altercation took place during Saturday’s show at the REP Theatre in Newhall after an audience member yelled “fag” twice during key scenes in the two-act performance, said Valencia resident John Lacy, who portrayed Big Daddy in the play.

santa-clarita-actor-fired-show-cancelled-after-gay-slursLacy’s character was about to deliver an important monologue to the character of Brick, played by Anton Troy, when the audience member yelled the slur in response to a question Lacy’s character asked Troy’s.

“The second time, I wasn’t going to stand for it anymore,” Lacy said. “He was so loud and so invasive to our performance.”

Lacy walked off to the side of the stage and said, “Who said that?” according to Tim Sullivan, who was in the audience. The person who made the slurs then stood up and said, “I did.”

“I gave him a little shove to let him know I was there,” Lacy said, “and because of the alcohol, he went down pretty easily.”

Sullivan, who was sitting nearby, grabbed the man who was on the floor and ushered him into the lobby, Lacy said.

The actors restarted from the interruption and continued the show, Lacy said.

“As an audience member and a gay audience member, I’ve been to a lot of theater and I’ve never experienced something where the thematics of the story, homophobia and hate, that were depicted on stage, were depicted in the audience,” Sullivan said, referencing the “Cat On A Hot Tin Roof” storyline.

“When the play ended, that audience stood on its feet and cheered Anton and John more than they would any other night,” he said.

After a wrap party with the cast and crew, Ovington M. Owston fired Lacy, according to the actor.

The following day, Troy said he resigned in a show of solidarity, as did another actor in the show named Anthony Bietel.

“We are committed to provide groundbreaking subject matter and professional performances to our audiences,” said Ovington Michael Owston, executive director of the REP. “We are extremely sorry that our patrons experienced this disruption and will do our best to make it up to those holding reservations for cancelled performances.”

No further comment would be made by Owston at the direction of the theater’s board of directors and legal counsel, he said.

The next show in the REP’s 2014 season, “Return to the Forbidden Planet,” is in pre-production and is scheduled to open July 11.

1. I love how those that preach tolerance get physical when someone says something they don’t like.

2. I love how those that preach tolerance get physical when someone says something they don’t like.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

If someone called your wife randomly a whore while you are there for no reason you would…

•A – Tolerate it
      •B – Freedom of speech…he has that right…lets run away
      •C – Put him on his butt

If anything is not “C”, you will also be doing…

•D – getting a divorce.

• And you’re talking about how many people? I thought this was about one man. Tolerant much? Not. Wanker

• Another example. I don’t share a view of yours… And now I’m labeled.

I think I’m going to go get a bunch of laws passed that make people acknowledge and support not only my point of view, but my lifestyle as well…

Oh – wait – that’s already been done.

damn it.

3. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Say the N word to someone,
    Anthony.
    See if it is considered starting a fight.
    Bet it is.
    LoL

4. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Say the N word to someone,
    Anthony.
    See if it is considered starting a fight.
    Bet it is.
    LoL

5. Kyle James Kyle James says:

Who was preaching tolerance? They were performing a scene. Sometimes drunk ass holes need to hit the dirt once in a while.

6. Kyle James Kyle James says:

7. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You tolerate noises and smells.
    Not People.

8. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You tolerate noises and smells.
    Not People.

9. He should have gotten the theater or produces involved first and had the heckler removed.

10. He should have gotten the theater or produces involved first and had the heckler removed.

11. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

No one was preaching anything.
    LoL

12. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

No one was preaching anything.
    LoL

13. Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

That’s battery, first amendment gives everyone the right to speak, it does not allow you to strike the person. Glad you were fired for just that reason.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

You have no clue what that means. You can’t yell fire in a theater. Nothing is free. That’s about the government not taking away rights. This is why those who speak on the first amendment are amazing wrong 99% of the time.

I agree he shouldn’t have done that but again, for every action is a reaction. I applaud him and wish he would’ve slapped the sh¶t out of him.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

He should be in jail, but why don’t you slap him then you can join him.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

I wasn’t there or I would have. If you got in the way and defended him, you’d catch it too. I’m all about tolerance but I, like Mandela understands that violence works too.

You seem butthurt.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

Nope not at all just speaking the truth, oh and the law, remember what that is right. It’s ok I’ll pray for you.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

And again I’m not saying the person that used the speech should have said it, what I’m saying is that you fail to understand we all have rights. He got fired for a reason, battery.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

He did and he did for the RIGHT reasons. Getting fired happens all the time. To see a man stand up and not allow a coward to run the show, shows the persons makeup.

We all pay for things but to pay for the right reasons is a much lower cost.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

He should have said. (The show must go on) and continued, instead he lowered himself to a level he should not have thus, breaking the law, this is what I’m saying, it’s that simple. Don’t read into it it’s just that. He lowered himself and got fired.

• Chris Hulse – free speech only applies when you support their ‘agenda’…if you don’t – then you’re a bigot participating in hate speech.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Sometimes the show CAN’T go on. When the show is being disrupted by a homophobic drunk. Security did nothing so an employee (him) did.

If you have issue with this, fine… that’s on you. I applaud it. If someone called my lady a whore out of the blue I’d say “what?” If he did it again, I’m not cowering. I’m slumping him. We all have our ways.

I don’t think you go there first but it depends and actually, he got fired from a play in Santa Clarita. Far from the end of the world and in a world of parents crying about bullying, y’all love to run away from it as adults.

How I was raised, you beat the bully.

• Sophie Sidky Sophie Sidky says:

Free speech only protects you from the government, actually. That’s it. No one else.

14. Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

15. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

They should have involved themselves.
    If it was the N word, the audience would have even gotten involved.

16. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

They should have involved themselves.
    If it was the N word, the audience would have even gotten involved.

17. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

They are doing their job and to throw something their way trying to do in anonymity is typical like a response on these posts justifying said actions.

If you didn’t like the play, leave. If you call me the N word, I’m beating your ass.

Yes for every action is a reaction.

18. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Yes for every action is a reaction.

19. Glad this post gave more details.

20. Glad this post gave more details.

21. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Chris.
    Say the N word Roto someone.
    See what happens.
    Then see if you get blamed for the sequence of events.

22. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Chris.
    Say the N word Roto someone.
    See what happens.
    Then see if you get blamed for the sequence of events.

23. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You either for equality.
    Or against it
    Period

24. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Some coward blocked me before posting a comment
    If someone mentions me by name and I do not respond.
    It is that person

25. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

There must not be security at these shows. I’m not going to attend if idiots can come in drunk, make rude outbursts and not get kicked out! The actor was out of line but I suppose he was filling in for the absent security guard. Where does the licensing of this establishment allow drunk patrons to disturb the show? Shame on rep.theater!!!!!!!

26. Kim they have a bar at the theatre and honestly I am surprised this was allowed to escalate as far as it did. I used to work at that theatre when I lived out there and never had a problem like that. Sad that people can’t just go to enjoy a performance anymore.

27. I’m glad john lacy stood up for himself and others.

28. SHAME on the heckler and SHAME on the manager who fired Lacy.

29. Bear says:

As an actor you must realize you might get hecked from time to time and you need to grow some thick skin.
    I personally would be fearful if an actor left the stage to fight a guest in the audience. Do rock stars come off the stage to fight someone that boo’s them? I doubt it. The legality of such actions are very real for both the offending actor and the theater owners as well.
    I guess what makes this senseless act of aggression more disappointing is that all the other actors are now out of work because the show has been canceled.
    I attended the play last weekend and I though it was a good cast and a interesting rendition of “cat on a hot tin roof”. I am sad that others will not get to see it.

30. So sad that these things happen. If you’re a hater you believe that you have the “Freedom of Speech” to express your hate. If you’re “tolerant” you believe you have the right to “fight” for those that you are “tolerant” of. If we all just RESPECTED one another these things would not happen at all.

31. Gregory Kaye Gregory Kaye says:

I could chime in with a vey negative comment
    but it would not serve a purpose, just a lot of hard work gone to waste. To bad.

32. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Here is the “official” comment. Amazing that what they didn’t tolerate, they did nothing about.

33. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

16 comments that each coward blocked me from seeing.
    LoL
    Ijs

34. Ckay Walker Ckay Walker says:

Compassion. Humility. Humanity. Please.

35. I think the heckler should have been removed before the altercation occured. You can’t blame the actor for reacting!

36. It was just a drunk heckler who was rightfully shoved, no real harm done or reason for firing someone.

37. Left Wing says:

Ignorance, intolerance, and stupidity aside,the Editor of this news story should be fired and forced to work at Wal-Mart. This is some of the crappiest journalism I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

38. They weren’t fired because of assault and battery, the theater did it to protect themselves. They don’t want to be held liable in addition to not doing anything about it. If you think for one second this person doesn’t have the right to react, you should look within yourself and ask if you’re defending the heckler because you have your own issues with the LGBT community. Don’t hide behind the ammendments.

39. They shouldn’t show up to a show at a Playhouse if they do not have tolerance for the gay community. That is like going to San Francisco or West Hollywood and getting upset at the gay community there. Ignorance towards others seems to run wild recently.

40. Anthony Fierro we have no idea how many times that person had let it go in the past. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. If someone called you a racial slur and you snapped, no one would blame you. I agree he should not have used force, but I can’t judge him either. The proper action would have been to have security escort the drunk out.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Like button big time. I’m not gay. I’m not caring about that “community.” I am all for humans being treated fairly and if someone decided to attack, I have no issue with a shove being the response.

We cry so much about bullying. “We need to stop that…” Well this stopped that at least there.

41. Disdier says:

so now it’s ok to strike someone because of their words? Gee it’s funny how we think Islam is insane because someone says something about Muhammad. Now the gay community believes that it’s status is to be so revered that it must seek out those who heckle it and physically assault them.
    Either you believe in equality or not. Equality has nothing to do with it. It’s simply about and idiot being attacked by a gay zealot. And dale if a shove is not an assault then why are men being charged with assault when they shove a woman.( both are assault)

42. It’s also different for actors, I’m not saying what he did was right, however standing on a stage under stage lights where it is 90+ degrees, being 100% in the moment to have some jerk off break out with a racial slur, it is not easy to get back into the moment. It may be a tiny little theatre but those actors put their hearts and souls into every performance, and to have some drunken jerk break your moment is not ok!

43. Very true. Dobie Gillis very true. Sometimes we need to let people know we will not just stand and listen. Sometimes we may react.

44. MacroView says:

“Homophobic” is a term referring to a fear of homosexuality or of a homosexual, denoting a weakness and failure on the part of the homophobe. You CAN disagree with someone’s point of view without being afraid of them or afraid of their point of view. It is an agenda to label everyone who does not agree with homosexuality as a mean, fearful “homophobe”– or even a “hater” for that part. Please stop hijacking the lexicon for your personal agendas. Let’s deal with truth and be grown-ups about it. Otherwise we can never be reasonable and come to terms with our differences.

45. Rob Gardner says:

What a shame. No one is innocent here. This could have been handled many other ways. Unfortunately the actor felt he had to cross the line and resort to violence. I’m one who believes that sometimes idiots need to just be taught a lesson, but you have to also take the consequences for those actions. If the actor can walk away feeling he did the right thing and ok with the consequences, then … moving on!

46. Clarice says:

Lets get off the “tolerant wagon” for a minute. If anyone should be fired it was security. No one wants to sit it a theater or anywhere with a loud mouth drunk. Today people don’t have the courage to get up and tell security, “I paid for this ticket. Get this drunk out of here!” Good for the cast!

47. Yes, shame on the heckler…if he is a business owner he may be forced to sell.

48. I tolerate homophobes as much as they tolerate me. Not at all. Come say fag to my face and see what happens. :)

49. Wendi says:

If every actor/comedian/live performer jumped off stage and into the audience to slap/shove/hit/push a heckler/rude audience member, regardless of whether or not they “deserved it”, there would be a lot of police reports/lawsuits happening. It is a battery, and the heckler may have deserved a good shove, but it should have been management/security to give to him.

50. He needs one of these!

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Friday, Jul 20, 2018
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has announced $4,518,000 in two-year grants to 216 nonprofit arts organizations through its Organizational Grant Program, and the Santa Clarita Philharmonic Orchestra and the Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival are among the grantees.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
Four men allegedly stole a van and crashed it at Cinema Drive and Valencia Boulevard late Friday afternoon, breaking gas and water lines and snarling rush-hour traffic in the center of the city.
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
The L.A. County Superior Court on July 17 sided with Los Angeles County and dismissed a portion of Chiquita Canyon LLC's complaint, which challenged 13 conditions of the county's conditional use permit governing how the landfill operates, Supervisor Kathryn Barger announced Friday.
Court Orders Chiquita Landfill to Comply with CUP, Pay County Nearly $12M
Santa Clarita Philharmonic, Shakespeare Festival Win County Arts Grants
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's board of directors voted in its Tuesday meeting to revise its per-diem payment policy for board members attending industry-related meetings and conferences.
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
College of the Canyons men's basketball player Robert Moss will continue his playing career at University of Saint Katherine after committing to join the Firebirds program.
COC Hoopster Robert Moss Commits to University of Saint Katherine
When wives earn more than their husbands, a puzzling thing can happen: Husbands say they earn more than they are and wives underreport their income, according to new Census Bureau research.
Census Research: Spouses Report Earnings Differently When Wives Earn More
Responding to a booming economy and a generous state budget, administrators on Thursday approved the first tuition decrease for the University of California system in nearly 20 years.
University of California Cuts Tuition for First Time in 20 Years
The William S. Hart Union High School District and Spirit Holding, developers of Castaic High School, will host a community kick-off event on Friday, Aug. 3, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. celebrating the one-year countdown to the grand opening of the new school, currently under construction.
Aug. 3: ‘Countdown to Castaic High’ Public Celebration
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, July 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
July 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a Heat Alert for Monday, July 23 and Tuesday, July 24, as high temperatures have been forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Heat Alert Called for Monday, Tuesday
The Lancaster JetHawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but two late home runs from Stockton's Sandber Pimentel led the Ports to victory in a 5-4 final on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Lancaster Can’t Stop Pimentel, Ports
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and Department of Justice have made public the government's plan for the court-ordered reunification of children ages 5 years and older who were separated from their parents by immigration authorities.
Feds Detail Plan to Reunite Immigrant Children with Parents
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch
Members of Santa Clarita Valley home haunters Beware the Dark Realm will appear on a panel at the third annual "Midsummer Scream" Halloween Festival and scarefest at the Long Beach Convention Center on Saturday and Sunday, July 28-29.
July 28: SCV’s Beware the Dark Realm to Join Panel at Midsummer Scream