Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

February 20
1906 - L.A. County accepts Mr. H.C. Register's bid to build (Old) Newhall Jail for $2,237 [story]

SEE ALSO: Full Statement from the REP

[KHTS] – An altercation took place during Saturday’s show at the REP Theatre in Newhall after an audience member yelled “fag” twice during key scenes in the two-act performance, said Valencia resident John Lacy, who portrayed Big Daddy in the play.

santa-clarita-actor-fired-show-cancelled-after-gay-slursLacy’s character was about to deliver an important monologue to the character of Brick, played by Anton Troy, when the audience member yelled the slur in response to a question Lacy’s character asked Troy’s.

“The second time, I wasn’t going to stand for it anymore,” Lacy said. “He was so loud and so invasive to our performance.”

Lacy walked off to the side of the stage and said, “Who said that?” according to Tim Sullivan, who was in the audience. The person who made the slurs then stood up and said, “I did.”

“I gave him a little shove to let him know I was there,” Lacy said, “and because of the alcohol, he went down pretty easily.”

Sullivan, who was sitting nearby, grabbed the man who was on the floor and ushered him into the lobby, Lacy said.

The actors restarted from the interruption and continued the show, Lacy said.

“As an audience member and a gay audience member, I’ve been to a lot of theater and I’ve never experienced something where the thematics of the story, homophobia and hate, that were depicted on stage, were depicted in the audience,” Sullivan said, referencing the “Cat On A Hot Tin Roof” storyline.

“When the play ended, that audience stood on its feet and cheered Anton and John more than they would any other night,” he said.

After a wrap party with the cast and crew, Ovington M. Owston fired Lacy, according to the actor.

The following day, Troy said he resigned in a show of solidarity, as did another actor in the show named Anthony Bietel.

“We are committed to provide groundbreaking subject matter and professional performances to our audiences,” said Ovington Michael Owston, executive director of the REP. “We are extremely sorry that our patrons experienced this disruption and will do our best to make it up to those holding reservations for cancelled performances.”

No further comment would be made by Owston at the direction of the theater’s board of directors and legal counsel, he said.

The next show in the REP’s 2014 season, “Return to the Forbidden Planet,” is in pre-production and is scheduled to open July 11.

1. I love how those that preach tolerance get physical when someone says something they don’t like.

2. I love how those that preach tolerance get physical when someone says something they don’t like.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

If someone called your wife randomly a whore while you are there for no reason you would…

•A – Tolerate it
      •B – Freedom of speech…he has that right…lets run away
      •C – Put him on his butt

If anything is not “C”, you will also be doing…

•D – getting a divorce.

• And you’re talking about how many people? I thought this was about one man. Tolerant much? Not. Wanker

• Another example. I don’t share a view of yours… And now I’m labeled.

I think I’m going to go get a bunch of laws passed that make people acknowledge and support not only my point of view, but my lifestyle as well…

Oh – wait – that’s already been done.

damn it.

3. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Say the N word to someone,
    Anthony.
    See if it is considered starting a fight.
    Bet it is.
    LoL

4. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Say the N word to someone,
    Anthony.
    See if it is considered starting a fight.
    Bet it is.
    LoL

5. Kyle James Kyle James says:

Who was preaching tolerance? They were performing a scene. Sometimes drunk ass holes need to hit the dirt once in a while.

6. Kyle James Kyle James says:

7. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You tolerate noises and smells.
    Not People.

8. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You tolerate noises and smells.
    Not People.

9. He should have gotten the theater or produces involved first and had the heckler removed.

10. He should have gotten the theater or produces involved first and had the heckler removed.

11. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

No one was preaching anything.
    LoL

12. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

No one was preaching anything.
    LoL

13. Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

That’s battery, first amendment gives everyone the right to speak, it does not allow you to strike the person. Glad you were fired for just that reason.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

You have no clue what that means. You can’t yell fire in a theater. Nothing is free. That’s about the government not taking away rights. This is why those who speak on the first amendment are amazing wrong 99% of the time.

I agree he shouldn’t have done that but again, for every action is a reaction. I applaud him and wish he would’ve slapped the sh¶t out of him.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

He should be in jail, but why don’t you slap him then you can join him.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

I wasn’t there or I would have. If you got in the way and defended him, you’d catch it too. I’m all about tolerance but I, like Mandela understands that violence works too.

You seem butthurt.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

Nope not at all just speaking the truth, oh and the law, remember what that is right. It’s ok I’ll pray for you.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

And again I’m not saying the person that used the speech should have said it, what I’m saying is that you fail to understand we all have rights. He got fired for a reason, battery.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

He did and he did for the RIGHT reasons. Getting fired happens all the time. To see a man stand up and not allow a coward to run the show, shows the persons makeup.

We all pay for things but to pay for the right reasons is a much lower cost.

• Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

He should have said. (The show must go on) and continued, instead he lowered himself to a level he should not have thus, breaking the law, this is what I’m saying, it’s that simple. Don’t read into it it’s just that. He lowered himself and got fired.

• Chris Hulse – free speech only applies when you support their ‘agenda’…if you don’t – then you’re a bigot participating in hate speech.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Sometimes the show CAN’T go on. When the show is being disrupted by a homophobic drunk. Security did nothing so an employee (him) did.

If you have issue with this, fine… that’s on you. I applaud it. If someone called my lady a whore out of the blue I’d say “what?” If he did it again, I’m not cowering. I’m slumping him. We all have our ways.

I don’t think you go there first but it depends and actually, he got fired from a play in Santa Clarita. Far from the end of the world and in a world of parents crying about bullying, y’all love to run away from it as adults.

How I was raised, you beat the bully.

• Sophie Sidky Sophie Sidky says:

Free speech only protects you from the government, actually. That’s it. No one else.

14. Chris Hulse Chris Hulse says:

15. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

They should have involved themselves.
    If it was the N word, the audience would have even gotten involved.

16. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

They should have involved themselves.
    If it was the N word, the audience would have even gotten involved.

17. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

They are doing their job and to throw something their way trying to do in anonymity is typical like a response on these posts justifying said actions.

If you didn’t like the play, leave. If you call me the N word, I’m beating your ass.

Yes for every action is a reaction.

18. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Yes for every action is a reaction.

19. Glad this post gave more details.

20. Glad this post gave more details.

21. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Chris.
    Say the N word Roto someone.
    See what happens.
    Then see if you get blamed for the sequence of events.

22. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Chris.
    Say the N word Roto someone.
    See what happens.
    Then see if you get blamed for the sequence of events.

23. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

You either for equality.
    Or against it
    Period

24. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

Some coward blocked me before posting a comment
    If someone mentions me by name and I do not respond.
    It is that person

25. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

There must not be security at these shows. I’m not going to attend if idiots can come in drunk, make rude outbursts and not get kicked out! The actor was out of line but I suppose he was filling in for the absent security guard. Where does the licensing of this establishment allow drunk patrons to disturb the show? Shame on rep.theater!!!!!!!

26. Kim they have a bar at the theatre and honestly I am surprised this was allowed to escalate as far as it did. I used to work at that theatre when I lived out there and never had a problem like that. Sad that people can’t just go to enjoy a performance anymore.

27. I’m glad john lacy stood up for himself and others.

28. SHAME on the heckler and SHAME on the manager who fired Lacy.

29. Bear says:

As an actor you must realize you might get hecked from time to time and you need to grow some thick skin.
    I personally would be fearful if an actor left the stage to fight a guest in the audience. Do rock stars come off the stage to fight someone that boo’s them? I doubt it. The legality of such actions are very real for both the offending actor and the theater owners as well.
    I guess what makes this senseless act of aggression more disappointing is that all the other actors are now out of work because the show has been canceled.
    I attended the play last weekend and I though it was a good cast and a interesting rendition of “cat on a hot tin roof”. I am sad that others will not get to see it.

30. So sad that these things happen. If you’re a hater you believe that you have the “Freedom of Speech” to express your hate. If you’re “tolerant” you believe you have the right to “fight” for those that you are “tolerant” of. If we all just RESPECTED one another these things would not happen at all.

31. Gregory Kaye Gregory Kaye says:

I could chime in with a vey negative comment
    but it would not serve a purpose, just a lot of hard work gone to waste. To bad.

32. Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Here is the “official” comment. Amazing that what they didn’t tolerate, they did nothing about.

33. Leaf Larsen Leaf Larsen says:

16 comments that each coward blocked me from seeing.
    LoL
    Ijs

34. Ckay Walker Ckay Walker says:

Compassion. Humility. Humanity. Please.

35. I think the heckler should have been removed before the altercation occured. You can’t blame the actor for reacting!

36. It was just a drunk heckler who was rightfully shoved, no real harm done or reason for firing someone.

37. Left Wing says:

Ignorance, intolerance, and stupidity aside,the Editor of this news story should be fired and forced to work at Wal-Mart. This is some of the crappiest journalism I have ever had the displeasure of reading.

38. They weren’t fired because of assault and battery, the theater did it to protect themselves. They don’t want to be held liable in addition to not doing anything about it. If you think for one second this person doesn’t have the right to react, you should look within yourself and ask if you’re defending the heckler because you have your own issues with the LGBT community. Don’t hide behind the ammendments.

39. They shouldn’t show up to a show at a Playhouse if they do not have tolerance for the gay community. That is like going to San Francisco or West Hollywood and getting upset at the gay community there. Ignorance towards others seems to run wild recently.

40. Anthony Fierro we have no idea how many times that person had let it go in the past. Maybe it was the straw that broke the camel’s back. If someone called you a racial slur and you snapped, no one would blame you. I agree he should not have used force, but I can’t judge him either. The proper action would have been to have security escort the drunk out.

• Dobie Gillis Dobie Gillis says:

Like button big time. I’m not gay. I’m not caring about that “community.” I am all for humans being treated fairly and if someone decided to attack, I have no issue with a shove being the response.

We cry so much about bullying. “We need to stop that…” Well this stopped that at least there.

41. Disdier says:

so now it’s ok to strike someone because of their words? Gee it’s funny how we think Islam is insane because someone says something about Muhammad. Now the gay community believes that it’s status is to be so revered that it must seek out those who heckle it and physically assault them.
    Either you believe in equality or not. Equality has nothing to do with it. It’s simply about and idiot being attacked by a gay zealot. And dale if a shove is not an assault then why are men being charged with assault when they shove a woman.( both are assault)

42. It’s also different for actors, I’m not saying what he did was right, however standing on a stage under stage lights where it is 90+ degrees, being 100% in the moment to have some jerk off break out with a racial slur, it is not easy to get back into the moment. It may be a tiny little theatre but those actors put their hearts and souls into every performance, and to have some drunken jerk break your moment is not ok!

43. Very true. Dobie Gillis very true. Sometimes we need to let people know we will not just stand and listen. Sometimes we may react.

44. MacroView says:

“Homophobic” is a term referring to a fear of homosexuality or of a homosexual, denoting a weakness and failure on the part of the homophobe. You CAN disagree with someone’s point of view without being afraid of them or afraid of their point of view. It is an agenda to label everyone who does not agree with homosexuality as a mean, fearful “homophobe”– or even a “hater” for that part. Please stop hijacking the lexicon for your personal agendas. Let’s deal with truth and be grown-ups about it. Otherwise we can never be reasonable and come to terms with our differences.

45. Rob Gardner says:

What a shame. No one is innocent here. This could have been handled many other ways. Unfortunately the actor felt he had to cross the line and resort to violence. I’m one who believes that sometimes idiots need to just be taught a lesson, but you have to also take the consequences for those actions. If the actor can walk away feeling he did the right thing and ok with the consequences, then … moving on!

46. Clarice says:

Lets get off the “tolerant wagon” for a minute. If anyone should be fired it was security. No one wants to sit it a theater or anywhere with a loud mouth drunk. Today people don’t have the courage to get up and tell security, “I paid for this ticket. Get this drunk out of here!” Good for the cast!

47. Yes, shame on the heckler…if he is a business owner he may be forced to sell.

48. I tolerate homophobes as much as they tolerate me. Not at all. Come say fag to my face and see what happens. :)

49. Wendi says:

If every actor/comedian/live performer jumped off stage and into the audience to slap/shove/hit/push a heckler/rude audience member, regardless of whether or not they “deserved it”, there would be a lot of police reports/lawsuits happening. It is a battery, and the heckler may have deserved a good shove, but it should have been management/security to give to him.

50. He needs one of these!

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT LINKS
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Tuesday, Feb 19, 2019
Stars continue to line up to present on the Oscars - the year’s most-watched, live entertainment event - on Sunday, February 24, announced show producer Donna Gigliotti and co-producer and director Glenn Weiss.
Thursday, Feb 14, 2019
The third season of the Netflix original series, “Santa Clarita Diet,” will premiere Friday, March 29.
Thursday, Feb 14, 2019
Dust off your mitt and step into your stirrups. The Santa Clarita City Council invites residents to purchase tickets now for the 42nd Annual City of Santa Clarita Dodger Day.
Thursday, Feb 14, 2019
The Santa Clarita Valley Escrow Association (SCVEA) is proud to announce it will be hosting the 6th Annual Grill Master “Battle of the Champions” event at Wolf Creek Brewery on April 13, 2019 with proceeds benefiting The Youth Project.
Wednesday, Feb 13, 2019
A second wave of stars is headed for the Oscars stage on Sunday, Feb. 24, including Javier Bardem, Angela Bassett, Chadwick Boseman, Emilia Clarke, Laura Dern, Samuel L. Jackson, Stephan James, Keegan-Michael Key, KiKi Layne, James McAvoy, Melissa McCarthy, Jason Momoa and Sarah Paulson.
Members of the SCV Water Agency board, who found themselves saying goodbye to two of their fellow directors this past year, have called a special meeting Tuesday to talk about obtaining permission to reduce the size of the board should there be any more attrition.
SCV Water to Discuss Reducing Board Size
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for 7:00 p.m., Wednesday, February 20, at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
Feb. 20: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a motion Tuesday authored by Supervisors Sheila Kuehl and Mark Ridley-Thomas to phase out the use of oleoresin capsicum spray (pepper spray) in County juvenile facilities.
SUPES Approve Motion to Phase Out Pepper Spray in Juvenile Facilities
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) announces that the full amount of CalFresh benefits for March will be issued on March 1, 2019 to eligible households.
County to Issue Single-Day CalFresh Benefits
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles County Health Officer is extending a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
County Officials Issue Cold Weather Alert for SCV
Castaic Union School District is proud to announce the recipients of the Castaic Schools Teacher of the Year Award.
Northlake Hills Teacher Named Castaic Union’s Teacher of the Year
A woman was killed after her car went underneath a semi truck on the northbound side of Interstate 5 Tuesday, according to CHP officials.
Woman Killed in Collision on I-5 Truck Route
Academy Announces New Round of Oscar Presenters
College of the Canyons has created a Continuing Education Survey to identify the unique and specific needs of the Santa Clarita Valley community.
COC Requesting Community Input on Continuing Education
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital is hosting its third annual CARE SCV, a Cancer Awareness & Resource Expo, at the College of the Canyons Dr. Dianne G. Van Hook University Center on Saturday, March 2, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
March 2: CARE SCV Cancer Awareness, Resource Expo at COC
Princess Cruises, the world’s largest international premium cruise line, is growing and today major milestones for three ships under construction at the same time were celebrated, at Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy.
Princess Cruises Highlights Progress of Three of Its Newest Ships
LANCASTER – The University of Antelope Valley Pioneers (2-9-1) fell to the Warriors of Lewis-Clark State College (4-4-1) in game one on Sunday, 13-6, and the two teams would finish game two in a 2-2 draw in non-conference NAIA baseball action at the Hangar.
Pioneers Face Off Against Lewis-Clark State College
Payless ShoeSource joins the line of retail chains soon to close down in the United States.
Payless Closing All 2,100 Stores
Senator Scott Wilk, (R-Santa Clarita), announced Tuesday that he has introduced Senate Bill 333 (SB 333), a measure to address California's homeless crisis by requiring the Homeless Coordinating and Financing Council (HCFC) to develop and implement a long-term, strategic plan to combat homelessness across the state, complete with specific goals and benchmarks.
Wilk Intros Bill Addressing Statewide Homeless Crisis
Washington, DC – Vice Chair of Oversight and Government Reform Committee Congresswoman Katie Hill, (D-Santa Clarita), introduced H.R. 1064, a bill that allows whistleblowers to report concerns about classified programs directly to their supervisors and up their chain of command.
Hill’s Whistleblower Bill Passes House
1803 - Indian family members removed from Caamulus (Camulos) village, Piru area, are baptized at San Fernando Mission [record]
California Governor Gavin Newsom and Attorney General Xavier Becerra, leading a 16-state coalition, filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday challenging President Trump’s declaration of a national emergency and his attempt to divert funding appropriated by Congress for other purposes.
California, 15 More States File Challenge to National Emergency Declaration
The University of British Columbia lost a pair on Saturday when The Master's University received two excellent performances from its starting pitchers in a double-header sweep of the Thunderbirds.
Superb Pitching Leads Mustangs Past British Columbia
The Master's women's basketball team turned the ball over on its final possession, when it trailed by two, and fell 49-46 to Westmont inside Murchison Gym.
Women’s Hoops: TMU’s Win Streak Snapped in Santa Barbara
The No. 10-ranked Mustangs beat Westmont, 97-81, on Saturday, moving into a tie with Vanguard for first place in conference standings.
Men’s Hoops: TMU Beats Westmont, Moves Into Tie for First Place
The College of the Canyons Sports Medicine Program and Valencia High School Medical Science Academy will host the 2019 Sports Medicine Professions Fair at the college's Valencia Campus on Saturday, Feb. 23, from 10 a.m. to noon.
Feb. 23: 2019 Sports Medicine Professions Fair at COC
Seema Shah, executive director of the North Los Angeles County Volunteer Center (formerly HandsOn Santa Clarita) for the past seven years, is stepping down as ED to work with children to help them develop leadership and social entrepreneurship skills.
Shah Exits North LA County Volunteer Center
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 20 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Feb. 20: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
In celebration of National Heart Month, the Los Angeles County Departments of Public Health, Health Services, and Fire are partnering with the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross and the Los Angeles Fire Department to train 100,000 individuals in Hands-Only CPR.
Be a Heart Hero: Learn Hands-Only CPR
College of the Canyons defensive back Michael Nacnac became the latest Cougar to sign with a four-year school, with the Hawaii native committing to Clarke University earlier this week.
Cougar Safety Nacnac Signs With Clarke University
College of the Canyons golfers took the first two spots in the individual standings but carded a five-man score of 400 at Bakersfield Country Club on Monday to finish second in its first Western State Conference tourney of the season.
Cougars Men’s Golf Team Swings to No. 2 at WSC Bakersfield
U.S. Rep. Katie Hill (D-Agua Dulce) is in Germany attending the 2019 Munich Security Conference and visiting NATO Headquarters and the seat of the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium as part of a congressional delegation led by the Speaker of the House.
Hill Among Congressional Delegation at Munich Security Conference
The Lady Cougars remain in the hunt for the Western State Conference, South Division crown after an important 74-63 victory over Bakersfield College on Sophomore Night in the Cougar Cage.
Lady Cougars Stay in the Hunt with 74-63 Win Over Bakersfield
Three people were arrested and five firearms plus ammunition seized by authorities during a two-day compliance operation in the Santa Clarita Valley, according to SCV Sheriff's Station officials.
Three Arrested in SCV Gun Law Compliance Sweep
All lanes of Interstate 5 are now open after closure due to snow and ice.
I-5 Reopened in Both Directions Through Grapevine
For the second straight year, developers wanting to build 70 homes on The Old Road, near Parker Road, in Castaic, are appealing to regional planners for a one-year time extension.
Lake View Estates Developer Seeks Time Extension
Rep. Katie Hill, D-Agua Dulce, announced Thursday she will join fellow legislators on the Freshmen Working Group on Addiction, a bipartisan effort to promote policies that attempt to end the nation’s addiction crisis.
Hill Joins House Working Group on Addiction
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 22-year-old Santa Clarita man on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and possession of a loaded gun Wednesday night, the station reported Sunday.
Deputies Arrest Santa Clarita Man on DUI, Weapon Charges
SCV Water officials are blazing a course they set during a recent two-day, strategy-setting retreat.
SCV Water Holds Strategy Session, Maps 5-Year Plan
1955 - Actor and nightclub owner Ace Cain incorporates the Rocky Springs Country Club in Sand Canyon [story]