Cookie fans, get ready for a sweet scavenger hunt on social media! In celebration of National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend, Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles (GSGLA) is hiding golden tickets on select boxes of Trefoil Girl Scout Cookies around Greater Los Angeles on Saturday, Feb. 27. Find one and win either a month – or a year! – supply of Girl Scout Cookies. GSGLA will leave #GoldenTrefoil clues on its Twitter and Instagram pages – @GirlScoutsLA – regarding the cookie booth sale locations outside local storefronts and perfect times to buy a box of Trefoils to increase your chances of winning.
An icon of American culture, the Girl Scout Cookie Program evolved from an event in Oklahoma in 1917. It is now the nation’s leading business/entrepreneurial program run by girls. The first Girl Scout Cookie was a simple sugar cookie, and it was sold for 25 to 30 cents per dozen. Girl Scouts baked them using a recipe published in The American Girl magazine in 1922. Today’s Trefoils — one of the most popular Girl Scout Cookie varieties — are delicate-tasting shortbread cookies that are delightfully simple and satisfying.
Besides Trefoils, Girl Scouts in Greater LA sell Thin Mints, Samoas, Tagalongs, Do-si-Dos, Savannah Smiles, Rah-Rah Raisins and gluten-free Toffee-tastic (extremely limited). All Girl Scout Cookies are $5 a box, except Toffee-tastic, which is $6 a box.
HOW TO WIN ON FEB. 27:
1. Start following @GirlScoutsLA on Twitter and Instagram for #GoldenTrefoil location clues. GSGLA will tweet out locations and times throughout the day, approximately 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
2. On Feb. 27, follow the clues and buy Trefoils at a Girl Scout Cookie booth and see if your box is a special Golden Trefoil (emblem will be right on the box)!
3. If you find a Golden Trefoil, you will get your prize on the spot-a month supply of cookies! Or, for one lucky grand prize winner-a year’s worth!
4. Bonus: Snap a photo with your winning box and use #GoldenTrefoil and tag @GirlScoutsLA for a chance to be featured on GSGLA’s social media channels!
Besides having the opportunity to potentially win a sweet prize, buying Girl Scout Cookies means you are doing two very special things:
* You are helping girls gain important life skills. By running their own cookie business and working with others, Girl Scouts learn money management, people skills, goal-setting, decision-making, and business ethics.
* You are helping to fund all the leadership activities, community service projects, and field trips Girl Scouts do all year long. Funds stay local.
ABOUT GIRL SCOUTS OF GREATER LOS ANGELES:
Girl Scouts of Greater Los Angeles, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, serves more than 40,000 girls in partnership with more than 20,000 volunteers throughout the diverse communities of Los Angeles County and parts of Kern, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties. The council engages girls through programs in Leadership, Business and Financial Literacy, Outdoor Adventure, STE[A]M (science, technology, engineering, art, math), and Healthy Living. To join, volunteer, reconnect, or support, visit www.girlscoutsla.org or call 213-213-0123.