SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Mostly clear
Mostly clear

November 24
2003 - Ruth Newhall, longtime co-owner/editor of The Signal, dies in Berkeley [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
Hart High quarterback Brady White is one of 16 high school seniors nominated by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee for the 2015 U.S. Army Player of the Year Award, considered high school football’s highest honor.
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
The Santa Clarita Christian Cardinals girls volleyball team will square off against Upland Christian for the CIF Southern Section Division 5-AA Championship in Fullerton Saturday.
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
The visiting Antelope Valley Marauders gave the COC women's volleyball all it could handle during Wednesday's 'sophomore night' match, but the Cougars prevailed nonetheless, capturing a 3-2 (27-25, 25-15, 22-25, 29-31, 15-6) win to conclude the regular season with an exclamation point.
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
The No. 3 College of the Canyons Cougars will host the No. 13 Saddleback College Gauchos in the first round of the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) Women's Soccer Southern California Regionals at 2 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 22, in Cougar Stadium.
Thursday, Nov 20, 2014
Reid Shackelford poured in a career-high 20 points and four teammates scored in double figures to lead The Master's College past La Sierra 84-74.
Friend Activity

Look at the areas of population that voted for construction of the high-speed rail system. You guessed it: Los Angeles and San Francisco. The new train won’t go through much of either highly populated area. What do they care about some farmland in the Central Valley, or Soledad from Acton all the way through Sand Canyon?
Where ‘Nobody’ Lives
1931 - Fall Roundup held at Hoot Gibson's Saugus Rodeo [story]
The next time you take a walk in our open spaces, take a look at the oak trees. Some will have one trunk, but many will have multiple trunks. There is one in the Whitney Canyon area of Newhall that has eight trunks. These trunks were all stump-sprouts after a fire.
Symbol of Strength
An agreement between Benutech Inc. and the Southland Regional Association of Realtors will enable SRAR real estate professionals to access in-depth data and sales analytics on the housing tracts or census tracts in their region.
SCV Realtors Can Access Housing Tract Data Utility
Exactly 11 years – to the day – after he first introduced legislation seeking to block a massive gravel mine in Soledad Canyon, Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon introduced what will be his last bill aimed at achieving the same end.
McKeon Introduces Final Cemex Bill; Companion to Boxer’s
1843 - Rancho Castec (aka Rancho Castaic) granted to French immigrant Jose Covarrubias [story]
As chance would have it, we found ourselves on the grassy knoll on the 25th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination. I was 11. It was odd to be standing at a place where time had stood still. Because of the actions of that day and in that place, for many people the world completely changed.
When Time Stood Still
The City of Santa Clarita, in partnership with Parkway Motorcars, will host its annual Thanksgiving Dinner at the City’s Newhall Community Center on Monday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: Thanksgiving Dinner at Newhall Community Center
Despite a 14.4 percent increase in population in 2013, according to the FBI, Santa Clarita saw an overall drop in violent crimes of 19.3 percent.
FBI Stats for Santa Clarita Show Sharp Drop in Violent Crime
Hart’s Brady White Up for U.S. Army Player of Year
Don't miss this opportunity to see the GO JAZZ Big Band, now under the direction of Brian Leff (Jazz Music Director at West Ranch High School) for our only show at West Ranch this fall.
Nov. 23: GO Jazz Fall Concert at West Ranch
The woman who ran the Santa Clarita Redevelopment Agency and filled in as city clerk when the state ended redevelopment has taken a job as community development director for the city of San Gabriel.
Chaparyan Leaves City to Run San Gabriel Planning Dept.
Participants will run a three-mile cross country course through the COC Valencia campus, beginning at the college’s baseball field and continuing through the campus, winding through the hills overlooking the Santa Clarita Valley, and finally finishing inside Cougar Stadium.
Thanksgiving Day: Annual Turkey Trot at COC
Attorney General Kamala D. Harris and Alameda County District Attorney Nancy E. O’Malley announced a settlement this week with AT&T to resolve allegations that hundreds of AT&T’s California facilities unlawfully disposed of hazardous waste and material over a nine-year period.
AT&T to Pay $23.8 Mil. for Unlawful Hazardous Waste Dumping
Stephen Minarsch is enjoying a career as a Hardware Industrial Designer for tech-titan Microsoft. Now a Seattle resident, Minarsch played a critical role in the design of the new “Microsoft Band” fitness product from start to finish.
Ex-COC Student a Creative Brain Behind New Microsoft Band [Video]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: The Santa Clarita City Council will consider committing $3 million toward the construction of a new senior center at their meeting on Tuesday.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, November 21, 2014
Evy Warshawski announced her intention to resign as executive director of the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center at College of the Canyons
Director of COC Performing Arts Center Stepping Down
The China Lake Astronomical Society will be at the visitor center parking lot beginning at dusk, ready to answer your questions about the unique celestial objects such as nebula, galaxies, clusters, Venus and other planets visible in the dark sky.
Saturday Night: Star Party at Red Rock State Park
Santa Clarita City Council agenda for Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014.
Next City Council Mtg.: Einstein School, New Senior Center
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies responded to the Goodwill located on Pico Canyon Road. Friday on reports of a suspicious object in a donation drop box, officials said.
Possible Grenade Donated to Goodwill; Deputies Respond
Teens repainted a quarter mile of patchwork paint on a retaining wall along the South Fork Trail from the Wiley Canyon Bridge heading North on bike trail towards Magic Mountain Parkway in Valencia.
Community Court Teens Remove Graffiti from Wash