SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Sunny
Sunny

August 25
1916 - Woodrow Wilson signs act creating National Park Service; its first director is Stephen T. Mather, who made his fortune with the Santa Clarita Valley's borax mine and envisioned & put his own money into forming the Park Service [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016
With 18 goals in the last two matches, Santa Clarita is in a good position to challenge for a playoff spot.
Friday, Aug 19, 2016
The superstar from Canyon Country ran the second leg of the women’s 4x100 relay Friday and joined her teammates at center podium. But it almost didn't happen.
Monday, Aug 15, 2016
In one of the most thrilling Olympic finishes in recent memory, Shaunae Miller of the Bahamas out-dove Canyon Country's Alyson Felix to the finish line to win the Women's 400 meter sprint Monday night in Rio De Janeiro.
Sunday, Aug 14, 2016
SCV's Alyson Felix ran a blistering 49.67 in the third semifinal of the Women's 400 meter final, giving herself a shot at her fifth Olympic gold medal.
Friday, Aug 12, 2016
Hart graduate Anthony Ervin put an exclamation point on his Rio Olympics with a gold medal in the Men's 50 meter freestyle on Friday.
-->
Local law enforcement and family members of a man who was killed in a hit-and-run crash in Newhall are still searching for answers.
Fundraiser Planned for Funeral of Man Killed in Newhall Hit-and-Run
A representative of Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich said: “The goal of the county is to get the approval of the CUP” (conditional use permit). There it was. The goal of the county is to get the expansion of the Chiquita Canyon Landfill approved.
Freudian Slip?
At first she thought it was a hummingbird. But at night, and so late? No, it wasn’t that at all. All of a sudden, this flying monster came closer at the speed of light, directly toward the light over Mari’s head.
What the Heck?
Simpatico Systems LLC of Lubbock, Texas, announced the acquisition of Valencia-based AdageIT effective Aug. 1.
Texas IT-Security Firm Aquires Valencia-based AdageIT
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the three children who allegedly abducted after their mother was found dead in Lebec have been found. Click the link to see those stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Former LA County Sheriff Leroy Baca faces a December trial on charges that he obstructed an investigation into civil rights abuses after a federal judge said Wednesday that delaying the trial is not in the public's interest.
December Trial Date Set for Ex-Sheriff Baca
The Santa Clarita City Council approved a proposal for a memorial wall in Veterans Historical Plaza.
City Council Approves Veterans Historical Plaza Memorial Wall
Agua Dulce Winery, an 87-acre property with more than 80 acres of vines, is newly on the market for $12.8 million. Robert Morton and Dario Svidler of the Beverly Hills-based Partners Trust are the listing agents.
Agua Dulce Winery Can Be Yours for $12.8 Mil.
The City of Santa Clarita’s Thursdays@Newhall series will kick off September with a sensational lineup of free live performances, talks, activities and more on Main Street in Old Town Newhall.
Cuban Salsa Kicks Off Thursday Events in September
Schedule of activities in and near the city of Santa Clarita.
Things to Do In, Around Santa Clarita
Caltrans plans to close U.S. Highway 101 on-ramps and off-ramps at Mussel Shoals and La Conchita for two nights in each community during the next two weeks.
Temp Closures of 101 Ramps for Hwy Construction by Rasmussen
Diners at Valencia’s California Pizza Kitchen restaurant can enjoy Pizza with a Purpose anytime Aug. 31. On that day, CPK will donate 20 percent of the total check to Fire Family Foundation, the charitable hand of Firefighters First Credit Union, a nonprofit that assists firefighters, their families and all affected by fire devastation.
Aug. 31: Order Pizza, Give Back to Firefighters
The Saugus Union School District is proud to report increased performance at every grade level in both Language Arts and Math on the annual 2015-16 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress.
Saugus Schools Show Growth at All Levels
Santa Clarita's Princess Cruises has unveiled designs and announced key features of Majestic Princess, the newest and most luxurious ship in the global fleet. Departing April 4, Majestic Princess will sail on her inaugural voyage, a five-day Adriatic Sea cruise round-trip from Rome with stops in Kotor and Corfu.
Princess Unveils Designs, Key Features of Newest Ship
Storm Rolls Over Thousand Oaks
This past week, the Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District confirmed the reappearance of Saint Louis Encephalitis, the first time in seven years within the District borders.
One More Worry: St. Louis Encephalitis Reappears in L.A. County
The California Department of Education released today the student performance results for the 2015/16 California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP), with the data showing William S. Hart Union High School District students demonstrating significant increases from the previous year and continuing to perform higher than their peers county-wide.
Hart District Students Excel in Standard Assessment
Homicide detectives learned that on Tuesday, Aug. 23, Cal Trans personnel discovered skid marks on Angeles Crest Highway. An SUV was located approximately 500 feet down the side. Deputies checked the vehicle identification number and learned the vehicle was connected to a 2014 missing person investigation being conducted by the Los Angeles Police Department.
Human Remains Found Near Mt. Wilson; Person Missing Since 2014
The three missing children from the weekend murder-kidnapping in the Lebec area were located in a motel on the outskirts of Albuquerque, New Mexico. The suspects left the children in the care of a Good Samaritan who in turn notified local law enforcement.
Kids Found Safe in New Mexico; Murder Suspects Still on Run
A Newhall man was sentenced Wednesday to 48 years in state prison for sexually assaulting 10 children over a 15 year period, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced.
Newhall Man Sentenced to 48 Years in Prison for Sexual Assaults
The man who went missing Tuesday afternoon while off-roading with his friend has been found alive, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's officials.
Man Who Went Missing in Rowher Flats Found Alive
Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Special Victims Bureau are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying potential additional victims of an L.A.-area massage therapist suspected of raping a woman in Santa Clarita in March.
Masseur Arrested for Sexual Assault; Were You a Victim?
A high-speed chase that began on the southbound 14 freeway Tuesday night ended in the a crash and the suspect's arrest.
High-Speed Chase Ends in Crash, Arrest
A fatal traffic collision shut down the eastbound 126 highway Wednesday morning.
Traffic Collision Kills 1, Shuts Down Highway 126
A Santa Ana man who intentionally aimed a laser pointer at a law enforcement helicopter investigating a serious traffic accident was sentenced Tuesday afternoon to 15 months in federal prison.
Man Who Pointed Laser at OC Sheriff’s Copter Gets 15 Months Fed Prison
Community: Stevenson Ranch Public Safety/Crime Report for Week of Aug. 15-21
Blotter: Knife Threat, Thefts in Stevenson Ranch
1974 - Pyramid Lake opens to the public [story]
On Sunday, Aug. 14, in a remote area along Gorman Post Road, north of California State Route 138 in the Lebec area, a woman’s body was found lying in the brush by a motorist. Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies and fire rescue personnel responded and discovered the victim suffered trauma to the head. She was pronounced dead at the scene. The woman’s identity was initially unknown but she has since been identified as Kimberly Harvill. Now, Homicide Investigators are looking for Joshua Robertson and Brittany Humphrey who were last seen with victim Harvill’s three minor children and have fled the state.
MISSING: Help Wanted to Find Suspects, Children in Lebec Murder-Kidnapping
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, deputies released surveillance footage of Sunday evening's deadly hit and run in hopes of finding the suspect. Plus, the Boys and Girls Club is thinking beyond the final bell of the school day. Check out these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Through the generous funds raised at the event, Pukúu provides scholarships for American Indian students aiming to obtain a college education and achieve their dreams, thereby setting examples in our community.
Oct. 22: Trio to be Honored at Local Tribe’s Annual Gala
The Friends of Hart Park, with the County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation at Hart Park, is presenting its 23rd Annual Hart of the West PowWow & Native American Craft Fair this October.
Oct. 1-2: 23rd Annual Hart of the West PowWow & Native American Craft Fair
The High Desert Modular Model Railroad Club will be hosting a scale model railroad layout at Hart Park in September.
Sept. 10-11: Model Railroad Comes to Hart Park
Unique about our SCV Olympians' performance, six medals were won in their sport as part of a relay or team effort. Competing as individuals brings personal honor, but these six medals were attained as they worked with teammates to achieve victory.
Saluting ‘Teamsmanship’
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority has selected a team led by CH2M to provide the plans, specifications and estimates for the design of new high occupancy vehicle lanes along Interstate 5 in both directions between State Route 14 in Santa Clarita and Parker Road in Castaic.
Team Selected to Design HOV Lanes, Newhall Pass to Castaic
What makes Carousel Ranch such a special place within the Santa Clarita Valley? Simply, it’s transformative. A place where therapy is disguised as fun in an atmosphere where every child can succeed. For a child with special needs, there is a bond between horse and human that cannot be replicated in a clinical setting.
A Special Bond