SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

November 28
1950 - CalArts grad Ed Harris ("A Beautiful Mind," "Apollo 13," "The Abyss") born in New Jersey [timeline]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Wednesday, Nov 26, 2014
SCVTV's annual Thanksgiving High School Football Marathon shows every game telecast on SCVTV this past Fall starting at 7 am Thursday.
Monday, Nov 24, 2014
The College of the Canyons men’s cross country team ran to a 79-86 victory over three-time defending state champs American River College at the 2014 California Community College Athletic Association Cross Country State Championships on Saturday.
Monday, Nov 24, 2014
The College of the Canyons Athletic Department has announced its 2015 Hall of Fame class of inductees, with the college’s bi-annual Athletic Hall of Fame dinner and induction ceremony taking place Friday, Jan. 30.
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
Hart High quarterback Brady White is one of 16 high school seniors nominated by the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Selection Committee for the 2015 U.S. Army Player of the Year Award, considered high school football’s highest honor.
Friday, Nov 21, 2014
The Santa Clarita Christian Cardinals girls volleyball team will square off against Upland Christian for the CIF Southern Section Division 5-AA Championship in Fullerton Saturday.
Friend Activity

1941 - Funeral for "our" Remi Nadeau, whose Canyon Country deer park became North Oaks [story]
The first Thanksgiving was a three-day feast held in Plymouth, Mass., by the Pilgrims in conjunction with the local Indians, the Wampanoags, but it did not include turkey on the menu - much less the other trimmings that are common today including mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, corn on the cob and cranberries.
Gobble, Gobble | Commentary by Paul A. Levine
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: The FBI is telling parents of a digital app that might help prevent a child abduction.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, November 26, 2014
The Friends of Hart Park in cooperation with The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation Park is presenting its 3rd Annual Hart Holiday Boutique & Craft Fair.
Nov. 29-30: Holiday Boutique, Craft Fair at Hart Park
The owner of the Santa Clarita Motel has been approved to build a 42-room hotel in Old Town Newhall.
City OK’s 42-room Hotel for Old Town Newhall
If you live in the Castaic area and have a homeowners association, that HOA has very real legal power over what you can and can’t do within the confines of the HOA area. Contrarily, the Town Council can do nothing legally. It isn’t government. It really isn’t anything but a sounding board for citizens so they can MAYBE get some word to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors.
Club Town Council | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
SCVTV to Telecast Thanksgiving High School Football Marathon
1916 - A score of Wobblies bust up Newhall Jail after commandeering SP freight train [story]
Michael D. Antonovich said his first action as chairman of the Board of Supervisors when he takes the helm next week will be to nominate Supervisor-elect Hilda Solis as vice chair.
Mayor-Elect Antonovich Taps Solis for Vice Chair
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: Santa Clarita residents are invited to the 10th annual Thanksgiving “Community Event” on Thursday in Newhall.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, November 25, 2014
The Board of Supervisors unanimously granted final approval for full implementation of Laura’s Law, a comprehensive, treatment-based approach for the mentally ill -- many of whom are incapable of recognizing their illness.
Laura’s Law: Mentally Ill Treatment Protocol Going County-wide
The college was selected as one of 160 American institutions to host the first wave of Proyecta students, accommodating 100 Mexican students throughout the month of November for an accelerated crash course in English. The multi-year project, a cooperative of President Obama’s “100,000 Strong in the Americas” program, aims to send 100,000 Mexican students to the United States for English language education by the year 2018.
COC Selected to Host 100 Students from Mexico
The Housing Authority of the County of Los Angeles is now accepting registrants for its senior only public housing sites located throughout the County.
Dec. 31: Deadline to Get on Wait List for Orchard Arms Senior Housing
Can’t wait to see it open. Just think: “Good evening, ladies and gentlemen of the Santa Clarita Valley and all the ships at sea. We’re broadcasting from beautiful Old Town Newhall, California, all of the news, music and information you’ll ever want or need.”
On the Move | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
Newhall-headquartered Stomvi USA, one of the nation's top trumpet companies, is proud to announce the launch of its new website.
SCV-based Trumpet Retailer Stomvi Launches New Site
The College of the Canyons student-led Social Issues Forum Club will host an engaging presentation on sexual assault prevention, with students, staff and community members of all ages invited to attend.
Dec. 3: Learn How to Avoid Becoming an Assault Victim
Among other projects, the state bond funds will cover a portion of the cost of equipment for treating chloride.
CLWA Getting $16.7 Mil. from State; Covers Part of Chloride Remedy
Fire Management officials have brought down strike teams of engines and extra fire prevention patrols from northern California and pre-positioned them throughout Southern California.
Fire Danger ‘Very High'; Extra Crews on Hand
Stevenson Ranch, Zone 3 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for 11/17/2014 to 11/23/2014
Blotter: Homes Burglarized in Stevenson Ranch
Castaic and Val Verde, Zone 2 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot 11/17/2014-11/23/2014
Castaic-VV Blotter: Another Storage Shed Pilfered
Canyon Country West, Zone 7 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for 11/17/2014 to 11/23/2014
CC-West Blotter: Party-goer Attacked While Waiting for Ride From Mom
Valencia, Zone 5 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for the week of 11/17/2014 to 11/23/2014
Valencia Blotter: Suspect Bashes Noisy Neighbor in Head
Saugus, Zone 4 Update Public Safety & Crime Prevention Information Snapshot: 11/17/2014 - 11/23/2014
Saugus Blotter: Boy Says ‘No’ to Robbers, Runs Away