SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Sunny
Sunny

September 18
1962 - Articles of incorporation filed for Golden State Memorial Hospital on Lyons Avenue [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

14. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

15. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

16. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

17. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

18. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

19. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

20. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

21. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

22. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

23. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

24. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

25. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

26. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

28. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

29. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

30. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 1:56 pm
After dropping the first four games of the 2014 campaign, The Master's College rode goals from three different players Monday afternoon to defeat Menlo 3-2, extending its winning streak to three games and improving to 3-4.
Monday, Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm
A late offensive spark from The Master’s College women’s volleyball team wasn’t enough to upset No. 17 Vanguard University Saturday night as the Lady Mustangs fell to the Lions 3-2 in Costa Mesa.
Monday, Sep 15, 2014 6:10 pm
The Mustang men needed overtime to score a 1-0 win over San Marcos. The Lady Mustangs didn't.
Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 3:28 pm
Elisa Pierre cards a 1-under 35 to earn a three-stroke victory in the first Foothill League Girl's Golf match of the season at Elkins Ranch Golf Course in Fillmore Tuesday.
Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014 3:13 pm
After suffering through the tragic loss of two Cougar football players to an auto accident, College of the Canyons loses to Mt. San Antonio College 42-19
Friend Activity

Honorably discharged war veterans would get a free pass to Castaic Lake under a proposal by Supervisors Michael D. Antonovich and Mark Ridley-Thomas.
Anotonovich, Ridley-Thomas: Fee Waiver at Castaic Lake for War Vets
Taking action to keep cameras rolling in California, Gov. Edmund G. Brown Jr. joined legislative leaders and dozens of film and television workers in Hollywood Thursday to sign bipartisan legislation that expands the state's Film and Television Tax Credit program.
Brown Signs Bill to Curb Runaway Production
The Saugus Union School District is pleased to announce the appointment of Theophane Korie as the new principal of Santa Clarita Elementary School.
New Principal Named for Santa Clarita Elementary
The William S. Hart Union High School District announced its policy for providing free and reduced-price meals for children served under the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program during the 2014-15 academic year.
Yes There Is a Free Lunch … For Qualifying Students
A bipartisan majority of the House of Representatives agreed Thursday to the President’s request for authority to train and equip moderate Syrian opposition forces.
House OK’s McKeon Bill to Train, Equip Syrian Opposition Forces
An Army veteran left wheelchair-bound after military service-related injuries is back on his feet to compete in cycling competitions with the help of Boston Scientific, a Valencia-based medical solutions company.
Boston Scientific Helps Turn Wounded Warrior Into Competetive Cyclist
Gov. Jerry Brown signed legislation by Senator Fran Pavley, D-Agoura Hills, on Thursday to increase job opportunities for Californians with developmental disabilities.
Pavley’s Pilot Jobs Program for Developmentally Disabled Gets Final OK
The 12th Annual High Desert Fallen Heroes Ride will be held on Sunday, Oct. 12, at 10 a.m. This ride supports our fallen heroes and their families. All proceeds support LASD, CHP, CDC, LACoFD, and the US Forest Service (Angels National Forest).
Oct. 12: High Desert Ride to Benefit Fallen Heroes’ Families
Community: Newhall, Zone 6 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Info for 09/08/14 through 09/14/14
Weekly Crime Blotter: Newhall
Community: Valencia, Zone 5 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for the week of 09/08/2014 to 09/14/2014
Weekly Crime Blotter: Valencia
I loved going to the Wickhams' home in Pico Canyon. Mr. Wickham had these neat mechanical displays of circus scenes and all kinds of other things. He would wind them or switch on the motors, and I’d stand there mesmerized,
Heavenly Memories
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: The metallic butterfly sculpture that used to sit on a Bouquet Canyon Road median in Saugus is set to be reinstalled in a new location at Central Park.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, September 17, 2014
The Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clarita Valley will host its third annual Purple Walk of Strength on Saturday, Oct. 11, at the College of the Canyons Cross Country Track
Oct. 11: Purple Walk of Strength to Fight Domestic Violence
Saturday afternoon, the Santa Clarita Valley Blues Society throws down its annual battle of the bands at the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas. Seven local blues bands will play, and one of them will win the honor of representing the SCV at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis next year.
SCV Entertainment Beat
A book about an internationally known rescue dog is set to be launched in Valencia on Saturday, with a portion of the proceeds from book sales to benefit the Acton-based Brittany Foundation.
Book About Rescue Dog Hits Store Shelves Saturday
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies corralled two loose pigs Wednesday, officials said, returning the animals to their rightful owners after the hogs cut loose into traffic.
Hogs Run Wild Through Newhall; Deputies Come to Rescue
Upcoming events and activities in and around the city of Santa Clarita.
Santa Clarita Arts & Events: River Rally Saturday
College Soccer: Ex-Valencia Viking Leads TMC to 3rd Straight Win
The staff of the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center joined Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich Tuesday in L.A. to recognize National Adult Day Services Week and the month of September as National Senior Center Month.
SCV Senior Center Recognized for Service
The metallic butterfly sculpture that used to sit in a Bouquet Canyon Road median in Saugus is set to be reinstalled in a new location at Central Park, pending final approval from the City Council.
Traumatized Butterfly Migrating to Central Park
I find it ironic that the 1962 fire that burned through Placerita Canyon was caused by spontaneous combustion in a pile of horse manure and straw that had come from stalls and corrals. It was a “dump” that caused the fire.
Environmental Conundrum
1879 - First official Newhall School building erected near Walnut & Ninth streets [story]
Learn why local deputies say this heat wave is creating opportunities for crime in Santa Clarita. That plus more tongiht on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, September 16, 2014