SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Cloudy
Cloudy

March 1
1916 - Newhall County Library established inside Robert F. and Christine Woodard's ice cream parlor [timeline]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Friday, Feb 27, 2015
College of the Canyons freshman forward Monica Friedl has been named a First team All-Western State Conference (WSC) honoree after leading the Cougars in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots during the 2014-15 season. COC sophomore guard Qimmah Russo was named Honorable Mention All-WSC.
Friday, Feb 27, 2015
College of the Canyons men’s basketball players Coley Apsay and Tullio Parry have been named First Team All-Western State Conference (WSC), South honorees, while COC sophomore forward Ricardo Greaves received Honorable Mention recognition for the 2014-15 season.
Friday, Feb 27, 2015
In this official role, Jens Voigt, who has participated in all nine previous editions of the annual stage race, will serve as an advisor to race organizers in addition to other official duties leading up to and during the race set for May 10-17.
Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015
Rebounding from Saturday’s shocking 71-64 loss to the unranked Arizona Christian Firestorm, The Master’s College women’s basketball team took down Biola University 73-42 Tuesday night at Bross Court.
Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015
Few things are sweeter in sports than beating your rival. The Master’s College men’s basketball team did just that Tuesday night by clipping Biola 71-69 in front of a lively crowd at Bross Court.
Friend Activity

How can we equip upcoming generations with the tools they need to have a sustainable lifestyle? One answer is with a 33-square-foot dumpster and a team of dumpster experts to transform a trash container into a sustainable house.
Dumpster Life
1890 - Jenkins ranch hands Dolores Cook and George Walton of Castaic slain by rival William Chormicle and W.A. Gardener [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: Cemex is moving forward with plans to mine in Soledad Canyon, plus more local news.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, February 27, 2015
Now nursing homes will be under increased scrutiny with targeted inspections of poorly rated facilities, tougher scoring and verification of reported data on staffing through payroll records. Facilities must perform at a 3-star level in order to receive a rating on the staffing category.
Antonovich Applauds Tougher Nursing Home Rating Standards
The median price of single-family homes sold during January in Santa Clarita came in at $480,000, up 10.9 percent from a year ago. It was down 3.0 percent from the $495,000 median of December, which flirted with the $500,000 benchmark price, a median price not been seen since 2006.
Typical SCV House Cost $480K in January
COC Women’s Basketball Team Has Two All-Conference Honorees
Three COC Men’s Basketball Players Receive All-Conference Honors
MyLife.com will pay $800,000 over a period of nearly two years in civil penalties to be divided equally by the District Attorney’s Office and the Santa Monica City Attorney’s Office. MyLife.com also will pay $250,000 in restitution to its customers.
Prosecutors: MyLife.com to Pay $1 Mil., Change Its Ways
The 2015-2018 Strategic Plan highlights five service priorities for the library, including enhanced technology, facility improvements, programming for 21st-century literacy, expanded opportunities for residents to use library resources for self-enrichment and increased access to tools needed for academic success.
City Releases 3-Year Strategic Plan for Libraries
College of the Canyons will welcome two new directors to its Economic Development Division, with John Hoskinson and Larry McLaughlin stepping into director roles with the Small Business Development Center and the Center for Applied Competitive Technologies, respectively.
Hoskinson Takes Reins of SBDC; McLaughlin Succeeds Klocko at CATC
The multinational Cemex corporation has let the City of Santa Clarita know it is starting work to update its required mining permits and plans to begin surface mining of aggregate in Soledad Canyon, on city-owned land.
Cemex Notifies City of Intent to Start Mega-Mining
With the help of The Gentle Barn, one fortunate cow named Dudley was fitted Friday with a prosthetic foot after suffering for 10 months with a severed foot.
Gentle Barn Helps Cow Receive Prosthetic Foot
Top junior high and high school student musicians from throughout the Hart School District will perform on Saturday, March 7, at 7:30 p.m., in the Hart High School Auditorium.
March 7: Hart District Honor Band Concert
Jennifer Calderon, who lives in a Valencia Fairways townhome near the golf course, said her 10-year-old daughter was approached Wednesday by a man in a blue, four-door sedan.
Valencia Mom Warns of Man Who Approached Daughter
Jens Voigt Named Amgen Tour of California Ambassador
Small, nonfarm businesses in 26 California counties and neighboring counties in Nevada are now eligible to apply for low‑interest federal disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Fed Disaster Loans Available to Non-farm Businesses Hurt by Drought
Assembly Bill 867, authored by Assemblyman Donald Wagner, R-Irvine, would require the state to provide a full refund to all individuals who paid a tax later declared unconstitutional or illegal. The bill is identical to Runner-sponsored legislation that died in committee last year.
Another Try: Runner Still Seeking Return of Illegally Collected Taxes
Barnes & Noble filed papers Friday to effect a separation of Barnes & Noble Education (which comprises the Barnes & Noble College business) from Barnes & Noble’s Retail and Nook Digital businesses. The planned separation will, when consummated, create two independent, publicly traded companies.
Barnes & Noble Keeping Nook After All; Spinning Off College Book Biz
Caltrans announced Friday that Pacific Coast Highway (SR-1) between Sycamore Day Use Area and Yerba Buena Road has opened to public access. An average of 10,000 vehicles uses this section of highway a day.
PCH in Malibu Reopens After Storm Damage
Daylight Saving Time is fast approaching, which means we will be losing an hour of sleep as we set clocks forward on Sunday, March 8, 2015. Losing even one hour of sleep can affect a person’s internal clock and consequently impact their ability to safely drive.
CHP Says: Get Plenty of Sleep
The California Department of Motor Vehicles announces the release of the 2015 Driver Handbook for the Apple iPad tablet.
Learn Driving Rules On Your iPad (*Not at Same Time)
Caltrans’ annual Non-Motorized Transportation Facilities Report is an in-depth look at Caltrans’ successes that emphasize the department’s mission to provide a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system to enhance California’s economy and livability
Calif. Jumps from 19th to 9th Friendliest State for Cyclists
In partnership with the Liberian government, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases launched a clinical trial Friday to obtain safety and efficacy data on the investigational drug ZMapp as a treatment for Ebola virus disease.
Clinical Trial of Possible Ebola Drug Starts in Liberia