SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Cloudy
Cloudy

December 21
1910 - Newhall (Auto) Tunnel opens, bypassing Beale's Cut [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Friday, Dec 19, 2014
Former light heavyweight champion and 1984 silver medalist boxer Virgil Hill, 50, is making a comeback. He took on his son, Valencia High School grad Virgil Hill, Jr., in a three-round exhibition.
Thursday, Dec 18, 2014
At the conclusion of the 2014 Fall sports season, The Master’s College Mustangs rank ninth in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup, the list of the nation’s best NAIA athletic programs. The NAIA currently has over 260 member institutions.
Thursday, Dec 18, 2014
The College of the Canyons football program had its first member of the 2014 team sign a National Letter of Intent on Wednesday, as sophomore safety Austin Murillo will transfer to Coastal Carolina University.
Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014
The College of the Canyons cross country program had a combined 16 runners from the men’s and women’s teams honored as Western State Conference (WSC) All-Conference honorees, in addition to head coach Lindie Kane who was named men’s team coach of the year.
Wednesday, Dec 17, 2014
The Hart boys basketball team beat Eastside, 80-61, while Saugus lost to Newbury Park, 46-42. More...
Friend Activity

1910 - Newhall (Auto) Tunnel opens, bypassing Beale's Cut [story]
Stories about these creamy white bears spread from British Columbia to people in the area that is now the United States, where they were assumed to be mythological creatures.
Spirit Bear
Three unlicensed drivers were arrested and ordered to court, at a Friday night checkpoint in Santa Clarita.
3 Unlicensed Drivers Busted at Checkpoint
That Christmas Eve celebration was amazing - beautiful in so many ways, but especially for the people who were brought together that evening. We celebrated alongside Australians, Brits, Arabs and Jews, and it even snowed in the early morning hours, something extremely rare for that part of the world.
An Old Elevator
1925- New York premiere of William S. Hart's final film, "Tumbleweeds" [story]
This high-speed rail issue transcends most other problems we’ve had recently. Billboards? Small problem. High-speed rail? HUGE problem.
This Bullet Kills
Filmmaker and CalArts faculty James Benning’s 16mm documentary "13 Lakes" (2004) and CalArts alumnus John Lasseter’s 3D animated short, "Luxo Jr." (1986), are among the 25 films selected this year by the Library of Congress for inclusion in the National Film Registry.
Films by CalArts’ Benning, Lasseter Make National Registry
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: About 1,000 West Creek Academy students, parents, administrators and teachers created a “living painting” of a piano Friday. PLUS more local news.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, December 19, 2014
AQUILA M8, under development for a confidential customer, Millennium's AQUILA platform product line, supporting missions of up to 3000 kg total mass in low, medium and geostationary Earth orbits.
Tested in Santa Clarita, Satellite Structure is Good to Go
The settlement terms require that T-Mobile pay at least $90 million; of this sum, at least $67.5 million must be paid to consumers—a portion of which may be paid by forgiving debts consumers may owe T-Mobile.
T-Mobile to Pay $90 Mil. to Settle Cramming Charges
Nearly 1,000 West Creek Academy students, parents, administrators and teachers created a “living painting” of a piano.
West Creek Kids Create Living Piano
The City of Santa Clarita invites community members to welcome the New Year at the Arctic Chill Polar Bear Swim on Thursday, Jan. 1, at 9 a.m.
Jan. 1: Polar Bear Swim at Santa Clarita Aquatic Center
Holiday hiring helped hold Santa Clarita’s unemployment rate at 4.5 percent in November, even with October. The real story is in the comparison to last November’s 5.7 percent.
Santa Clarita Jobless Rate Falls 1.2% Over Year
For the second consecutive year, UCLA ranked No. 5 in Kiplinger Personal Finance’s list of “Best Values in Public Colleges.”
Kiplinger Rates UCLA 5th Best Value
Deputy Joe Trejo, known affectionately as “the Mayor of Newhall” and “Uncle Joe,” retired this week as community relations deputy for the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station.
Trejo, De-facto Mayor of Newhall, Turns In His Badge
Valencia’s Hall of Fame Boxer Fights His Son
The North American Aerospace Defense Command has informed the Defense Department that every indication is that Santa Claus will arrive on time this year to deliver presents to the world’s estimated 1.9 billion children, Pentagon Press Secretary Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby said Friday.
NORAD Tunes Up Santa Tracking System
1969 - SCV resident Kristy Swanson, original Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992), born in Mission Viejo [story]
On Aug. 18, nine days after the killing, 78 people were arrested and, depending which news source you read, either 74 or 75 were from out of the area. California and New York were cited often as states sending their best and brightest.
Fools Rush to Ferguson
The folks from Chiquita have been handing out new bikes and toys all over the place. It is Christmas, after all. Never pass up a good chance to ruin somebody’s health by being a “good neighbor” and giving out gifts.
Fluffy Clouds and Kittens
SCV NewsBreak: State Water Board members unanimously approved changes to the chloride compliance requirements for the SCV Sanitation District Tuesday. What does it mean for property owners in Santa Clarita?
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, December 18, 2014
After more than a half-dozen meetings and hundreds of comments, high-speed rail officials say they’re still figuring out how to include the public’s concerns in their multi-billion dollar plan.
Bullet Train Officials Digesting Public’s Concerns
The California State Board of Equalization has conducted a public hearing and moved forward with regulation amendments clarifying that hydroponic farmers qualify for the sales and use tax exemptions for fertilizer.
BOE: Hydroponic Farmers Qualify for Tax Exemptions
Friday night, The Vu in Newhall presents No Small Children; Saturday at Wolf Creek Brewery off Rye Canyon Loop in Valencia, it’s the annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party.
SCV Entertainment Beat: No Small Children, Ugly Sweaters