SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Sunny
Sunny

July 31
1939 - Recording artist, music promoter and longtime Sand Canyon resident Cliffie Stone marries singer Dorothy Darling in Hollywood [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

14. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

15. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

16. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

17. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

18. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

19. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

20. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

21. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

22. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

23. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

24. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

25. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

26. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

28. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

29. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

30. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 3:43 pm
The 9-and-Under team from Hart PONY Baseball defeated North Valley 7-2 to win the inaugural PONY Mustang 9U World Series Title.
Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 12:34 am
Continuing to excel in his off-season signings, newly hired men’s basketball coach Ken Sugarman has added Evan Jenkins to his 2014-15 roster.
Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 4:44 pm
The HART Mustang 9U Red Team went 4-0 this weekend at the HART PONY Baseball and Softball Complex to win the Mustang 9U Super Regions Tournament.
Monday, Jul 14, 2014 8:21 am
The Transportation Security Administration is advising fans attending the 2014 Major League Baseball All-Star game at Target Field to be prepared for airport security on the trip home from Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
Monday, Jul 14, 2014 12:00 am
The construction of the Central Park Sports Field Phase III is nearly completed. The new lighted parking areas, cross-country running path, and exercise plaza area are open to the public.
Friend Activity

Throughout the month of August, Vons and Pavilions shoppers will have the opportunity to support athletes of Special Olympics.
‘Round Up’ Your Grocery Bill for Special Olympics
Saturday at Rivendale Park in Towsley Canyon off the Old Road, you can help celebrate the second annual “International Blues Music Day.” The band lineup features the Chris Banta Blues Band, Toni Dodd & Southbound Blues, Chuck Strong & SRBQ, Fortune, and Michael Stanton.
SCV Entertainment Beat: Blues & Wumbloozo
Santa Clarita Valley water officials have drafted a Water Action Plan that would restrict lawn-watering and car washing, in order to comply with a state mandate during the drought.
Water Companies Preparing to Impose Restrictions
The City of Santa Clarita will host the Pills Kill: Prescription to Addiction Symposium on Wednesday, Aug. 27, at 6:30 p.m. at the Santa Clarita Activities Center located at 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway.
Aug. 27: Prescription to Addiction: Pills Kill
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station, in conjunction with the city of Santa Clarita, is kicking off National Night on Saturday, Aug. 2, at 4 p.m. at Central Park. The station will provide the public with the latest information on crime prevention and safety.
Aug. 2: National Night Out Event Precedes Concert in Park
Less than a day before he was set to go to trial, Yale Yurman, 71, of Valencia, accepted a 12-year prison sentence for allegations he filmed Santa Clarita Valley children without permission
Sex Offender Short-circuits Trial with Plea Bargain
The California Voting Rights Act has promoted a great deal of legal action and policy discussion throughout the state. The Hart Board took this proactive step to avoid a potential legal challenge and to honor the law’s intention, which is to ensure that minority groups are not denied the opportunity to elect candidates and pass measures of their choice.
The Move to District Elections | Superintendent Rob Challinor
Closures for the I-5 Pavement Improvement Project, Vista Del Lago Road to Kern County Line.
Lane Closure Schedule, Gorman Area, Aug. 3-10
The VVCAC members are the folks who act as liaison between the Chiquita Canyon Landfill company and the community of Val Verde. So if those folks are deciding how the money being given to the community by the landfill company will be spent, how come not all of the VVCAC members live in Val Verde?
See You Tonight
Many people say they are interested in learning about their elders' experiences but are afraid to ask. I have found that the more I ask, the easier it gets, and I am always surprised in how happy people are to tell you their stories, just to have someone to listen.
Bridge the Gap | Commentary by Sarah Brewer Thompson
LARC Ranch received a gift of $500,000 from the Annenberg Foundation to help the nonprofit maintain its water supply. That plus more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, July 30, 2014
Many California State University campuses will begin accepting applications for admission to the spring 2015 term on Friday, Aug. 1. The majority of students who apply for admission during the spring term are transfers from the California Community Colleges.
CSU Admissions for Spring 2015 Open Friday
Dozens of Santa Clarita Valley residents have taken to Facebook to voice concerns about an alleged gnat problem in Central Park, while Santa Clarita city officials said their initial inspection failed to find an infestation.
Gnats are Bugging People in Central Park
LARC Ranch, a residential community for developmentally disabled adults in Bouquet Canyon, has received a “beautiful” gift of $500,000 from the Annenberg Foundation, which will help the nonprofit maintain its water supply.
Pennies from Heaven: Thirsty LARC Given $500K
Santa Clarita’s favorite nightlife events continue this August as the Thursdays @ Newhall series, presented by Galpin Subaru, returns with new themes for Art SLAM, JAM Sessions and SENSES.
Thursdays @Newhall in August
The Michael Hoefflin Foundation's 21st annual "An Evening Under the Stars" Gala Dinner and Charity Auction is set for September 13, 2014. We are excited to announce a change in location bringing our signature event to the beautiful Robinson Ranch Golf Club.
Sept. 13: Hoefflin Evening Under the Stars – Register Now
Fun things to see and do in and near the city of Santa Clarita.
Coming Up: Santa Clarita Arts & Events
COC's new Student Services and Administration building and the College of the Canyons Institute for Culinary Education building are scheduled to be finished by the end of the fall semester, COC Vice President Jim Schrage said.
Admin, Culinary Buildings at COC Nearly Complete
Jury selection started Wednesday for Yale Yurman, 71, a registered sex offender arrested for child annoyance allegations at three different locations in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Testimony in Child Annoyance Case Should Start Friday
Valencia-based Princess Cruises announced Wednesday that it has reached an agreement with the Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri to build a new ship, which will enter service in 2017. The 143,000-ton vessel will be the company's third "Royal Princess"-class ship.
Cruise Line Orders Another New Sister Ship to Royal Princess
Officers from the Department of Animal Care and Control will be conducting field licensing enforcement in the unincorporated areas of Valencia (zip code 91354), Saugus (zip code 91350 and 91390) and Canyon Country (zip code 91351 and 91387) beginning on Wednesday, Aug. 20.
Next Month: Animal Control Knocking on Doors in SCV to Check Licenses
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station detectives are investigating a July 22 report of vandalism and burglary at Pinetree Community Elementary School in Canyon Country.
Thieves Break Doors to Steal iPads from Pinetree Elementary
The Department of Veterans Affairs proposed a series of disciplinary actions Tuesday against six employees at Department facilities in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Fort Collins, Colo. These actions are a part of VA’s effort to rebuild the trust of America’s veterans.
VA Plans to ‘Discipline’ Employees Who Fudged Data