SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

August 23
1963 - First stretch of Antelope Valley 14 Freeway opens from east of Solemint Junction in Canyon Country to Red Rover Mine Road in Acton. [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

14. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

15. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

16. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

17. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

18. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

19. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

20. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

21. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

22. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

23. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

24. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

25. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

26. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

28. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

29. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

30. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Friday, Aug 22, 2014 12:44 pm
Hart grad Anthony Ervin placed 11th Friday in the 100-Meter Freestyle at the Pan-Pacific Swimming Championships in Gold Coast, Australia.
Friday, Aug 22, 2014 12:04 pm
Saugus High School senior Abbey Weitzeil has placed tenth in the 100-meter freestyle at the Pan-Pacific Swimming Championships in Gold Coast, Australia.
Friday, Aug 22, 2014 10:50 am
The Master’s College women’s volleyball team experienced the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat in the same day by going 1-1 on the first day of the 2014 Biola Red-Lion Anaheim Summer Slam
Friday, Aug 22, 2014 10:46 am
Held to just one shot on goal, The Master's College men's soccer team opened the 2014 season Thursday afternoon, falling 1-0 to the University of Great Falls on the first day of the Westminster Kickoff Classic.
Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 1:30 pm
The Master's College women's soccer team and women's volleyball team have each landed in the NAIA Division 1 Top 25 Pre-Season Poll.
Friend Activity

Help the Children estimates that if everyone in the Santa Clarita Valley gave just 50 cents, they could provide shopping visits for 5,000 families. With National Hunger Month just around the corner, I wanted to share some simple ways to get involved.
Hunger Month: Plan Now | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
Admission to the event for individuals is regularly $250; however, due to a discount, valid beginning Monday until Friday, individual tickets will cost $200 next week, Lieblang said. Admission to the event for foursomes is $800.
Senior Center Announces Golf Classic
Albert Einstein Academy for the Letters, Arts and Sciences officials hosted a ribbon cutting ceremony for their elementary school at a former Pinecrest school site in Santa Clarita this week.
Albert Einstein Academy Welcomes Students to a New Campus
It's likely the biggest Ice Bucket Challenge to hit Santa Clarita ...so far. A tractor bucket filled with 400 pounds of ice and more than 1,200 gallons of water was dumped on 20 employees at C.A. Rasmussen. That plus more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, August 22, 2014
The City of Santa Clarita is calling residents to take part in a public opinion poll to share their thoughts on City services, local issues and the types of amenities they would like to see in Santa Clarita. The poll will be conducted via telephone and online at santa-clarita.com/survey.
City’s New Survey Invites Residents to Share Their Ideas
Ervin Finishes 11th in 100-Meter Free
Local business leaders are preparing for a night of celebration and awards at the fourth annual SCV Latino Chamber of Commerce gala, “Corazon: Heart of the Santa Clarita Valley,” Sept. 19 at the Hyatt Regency Valencia, featuring keynote speaker Santa Clarita City Councilman Dante Acosta.
Latino Businesses Leaders to be Honored at Gala
College of the Canyons has unveiled a new two-part ‘Skills4Success’ campaign designed to publicly recognize and visually celebrate the wide range of student success stories found at the college, while also introducing new institution-wide student support strategies which COC officials believe will help revolutionize how student success is measured.
Student Success Takes Spotlight at COC
Weitzeil Places 10th at Pan-Pacs
Former Sheriff’s Department Deputy Sung Jin Pak, who was accused of shooting his gun in the air near a group of children who repeatedly rang his doorbell, was sentenced to probation, six months of Alcoholics Anonymous classes and five days of community service.
Former Deputy Sentenced to Probation in Off-Duty Shooting in Stevenson Ranch
TMC Volleyball Splits at Biola Tourney
TMC Men’s Soccer Drops Season Opener
Gov. Jerry Brown signed off on two bills Thursday afternoon authored by Assemblyman Scott Wilk, R- Santa Clarita, which will be going into effect Jan. 1.
Two Wilk Bills to Become Law in 2015
Valencia Water Company is expanding its “personal drought report” to businesses and residents who live in condominiums and apartments. These highly individualized reports specify how much water must be saved this year to meet Governor Brown’s call to save 20 percent during California’s unprecedented drought.
Personal Drought Reports Coming to Businesses and Apartments
While there are many new entertainment experiences including more crafts for kids, a Voodoo Night live music dance party and Toyz Terror in 3D, the popular attraction, backwards running Colossus will not be available this year.
Magic Mountain Execs Outline This Year’s Fright Fest
1891 - Future First Lady Lou Henry (Hoover), 17, poses for photo at R.E. Nickel's Acton store [story]
Rule No. 8: A committee chairperson shall always sit in the back of the room at a meeting of a town council and make snide remarks and snicker at the speakers. Do this when sitting with a manager or other officer of the company that has a project the town council is reviewing and discussing.
Rules to Govern By
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, hundreds of friends and family gathered at Saugus High School on Wednesday to remember the life of Jennifer Stift.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, August 21, 2014
U.S. Rep Howard P. “Buck” McKeon today announced that his office will host an “Academy Night” to help inform students about the application and selection process for the U.S. Military Service Academies on Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at College of the Canyons Dianne G. Van Hook University Center.
Students and Parents Invited to Academy Night
Friends and family of the Saugus High School senior who of was killed in fatal crash Monday, held a memorial for the teen Wednesday.
Hundreds Gather to Remember Saugus High Student
Colt Doherty, who was driving the car Demott was in, received six years in state prison. Thomas Joseph Vensko, the man he was accused of racing, received a sentence of four years, with five years of formal probation. Vensko's prison sentence was suspended and he was ordered to serve 180 days in a Los Angeles County jail.
Two Men Sentenced in Fatal Sand Canyon Crash
"We appreciate the public and media attention gained through sharing information about the persons of interest. As a result, the male person of interest in the photo reached out to the sheriff's department, identified himself, and is cooperating with the handling detective working this case," according to the press release. "The female person of interest was also identified with the public's help."
Selfie-Takers ID’d, Not Suspects
The cities of Bellflower, Glendale, Lakewood, Palmdale and Santa Clarita are finalists for the population 65,000 and over category, and the cities of Artesia, El Segundo, Glendora, Pico Rivera and Vernon are finalists in the population under 65,000 category.
Santa Clarita Named Finalist for Most Business-Friendly City in L.A. County