SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

August 4
1992 - Pardee House (ex-Good Templars Lodge) moved to Heritage Junction/Hart Park [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Monday, Aug 3, 2015
This summer, Global Outreach teams from The Master's College scattered to the far reaches of the globe—Argentina to India and everywhere in between—where they encouraged the local churches, shared the gospel, and ministered to the sick and needy.
Monday, Aug 3, 2015
Brett Croft, former standout midfielder for The Master’s College men’s soccer team, has signed a contract with Melleruds IF, a Swedish Football Leauge professional club based in Västra Götaland County.‪
Thursday, Jul 23, 2015
Four members of the College of the Canyons track & field program will be competing at the next level in 2015-16, with sophomore Dominique Dowell and freshmen Ashton Garcia, Sike Azu-Irondi and Mikala Fairchild, each accepting offers to four-year schools.
Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015
The Elite Dance Studios in Santa Clarita won a national championship at the LA Dance Magic event.
Monday, Jul 20, 2015
Over 750 swimmers from California and Nevada were on hand at the Santa Clarita Aquatic Center for the the Speedo Champions Series Santa Clarita Sectionals hosted by Canyons Aquatic Club last weekend.
Friend Activity

The Western State Conference is pleased to announce that College of the Canyons has claimed its second straight WSC Supremacy Award for their athletic department’s performance throughout the 2014-2015 academic year. The Cougars won a total of six conference championships throughout the year and led the conference with a 6.50 average across 15 WSC sponsored sports.
COC Wins 2nd Straight WSC Supremacy Title
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Newhall Water District users have lowered their water use below the state required mandate. Plus, a former Santa Clarita city attorney has died. Click the link to see those stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, August 3, 2015
I am excited to share with you a special invitation to attend the Mayor’s Virtual City Tour and Ice Cream Social on Saturday, Aug. 15. This is an excellent opportunity to learn about all the ways our city is providing you and your family with a high quality of life.
Ice Cream and a Tour | Message from Mayor Marsha McLean
Some of the topics covered in the ten-week program include: The Truth about Ecstasy, The Truth about Heroin, and The Truth about Crystal Meth and Methamphetamine. The final session will be a graduation class with the presentation of a certificate and the signing of a Youth Drug-Free World Pledge. The curriculum will be taught using a mixture of lectures, video presentations, group discussions, reading and short worksheets.
New SCV Sheriff Program Teaches Youth ‘Truth About Drugs’
School officials are in the process of overcoming a $4.1 million operating shortfall through layoffs of 30 teachers across the district ($2.36 million); a reduction in classified staff, the equivalent of 13 full-time positions ($417,000); reductions in administrative staff expected to save more than $340,000; $50,000 in reduced transportation services; and a reduction of $300,000 annually in services.
Gibson of Castaic School District Steps Aside Monday
The City of Santa Clarita’s Outreach and Neighborhood Services will host the 2015 Closing Ceremony for the City’s summer Mentoring Programs, Peers on the Way to Everlasting Recovery (POWER) and Girls Empowerment Mentorship (GEM), on Thursday, August 6.
Aug. 6: Closing Ceremony for City’s Summer Mentoring Programs
A pair of hikers who got lost in Towsley Canyon Sunday evening were rescued by Fire Department and Search and Rescue personnel.
Lost Hikers Found in Towsley Canyon
The USDA Forest Service, Angeles National Forest, has extended the public comment period for the Need to Change Document for the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument Plan until Tuesday, August 11, 2015.
Public Comment Period Extended for San Gabriel Mountains Nat’l Monument Plan
TMC Global Outreach Hosts 2015 Special Olympics World Games Athletes
Former TMC Soccer Player Signs With Melleruds IF
According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for sensitive individuals in San Fernando Valley and Santa Clarita Valley on Tuesday, Aug. 4.
Air Unhealthy in SCV, SFV Again Tuesday
After spending decades searching for proof of a connection between C-123 aircraft and the conditions known to be caused by Agent Orange, the Institute of Medicine issued a review that provided the supporting evidence VA needed to provide care and compensation to the Air Force and Air Force Reserve personnel who were exposed to Agent Orange through regular and repeated contact with contaminated C-123s and who also developed an Agent Orange-related disability.
VA Begins Compensating C-123 Agent Orange Claimants
1975 - Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital opens with 100 beds [story]
A candlelight vigil was held for Santa Clarita teen Madeline “Maddie” Rossiter Saturday evening at Canyon Country Park in Canyon Country.
Candlelight Vigil Held for Teen Killed in Crash
Not only can squirrels carry the plague, but they can carry rabies and Hantavirus. too. That’s right: In our very own Angeles National Forest, there are almost always summer indications of the Black Death. Some counties in California have Hantavirus. And you can find rabies everywhere. A teen in Colorado just died from the Black Plague last month. His doctor sent him home thinking it was a case of the flu.
Keep Them Wild
1935 - Newhall deputy Archie Carter sentenced to 1 year in jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor after his wife fatally shot his 20-year-old mistress (the age of majority was 21). [story]
The following streets in Canyon Country will be affected during the week of Aug. 3, 2015, for the Santa Clarita Annual Slurry Seal & Overlay Project.
Canyon Country: See If Your Street is Set for Slurry Seal
Home gardeners enjoy the robust flavors and enhanced nutrition of homegrown vegetables and fruits, but tending a garden can be back-breaking work. Raised-bed gardening is not only easier on the back, but it can also increase a garden’s productivity, extend the growing season and help keep pests at bay.
Aug. 29: CSUN Offers Free Class in Raised-Bed Gardening
Religion and the environment come together Aug. 15 with an interfaith outreach event called “Take Me To The River: Caring for Creation Starts at Home.”
Aug. 15: Interfaith Event to Focus on Santa Clara River
The A List Hair & Makeup Studio in Newhall is hosting an event featuring martinis and makeovers for the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clarita on Aug. 7 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Aug. 7: Martinis & Makeovers for Domestic Violence Center
Two people are dead and a third person remains in critical condition after fatal off-road crash Friday night near the Rowher Flats OHV Park in Agua Dulce.
2 Killed in Crash at Rowher Flats; 3rd Clinging to Life
Black Dart 2015, which began July 26 and runs to Aug. 7 at Naval Base Ventura County, is DoD's largest live-fly, live-fire joint counter-UAS technology demonstration.
Pentagon Officials Observe Counter-Drone Demo in Ventura County
Despite slight increases, 4 out of 10 adolescent girls and 6 out of 10 adolescent boys have not started the recommended HPV vaccine series, leaving them vulnerable to cancers caused by HPV infections.
CDC: Many Teens Still Not Getting HPV Vaccine; Risk Cancer