SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

September 25
1970 - Lagasse family helps save Mentryville buildings as Newhall and Malibu brush fires erupt & join into worst fire in SoCal history. Twelve fires over 10 days burn 525,000 acres, kill 13 people and destroy approx. 1,500 structures. [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Saturday, Sep 24, 2016
The College of the Canyons men's soccer team played to a scoreless draw vs. West Hills Lemoore on Friday in a game that saw lots of back-and-forth action.
Saturday, Sep 24, 2016
The College of the Canyons cross country program continues to improve each race, and with the Western State Conference championships a little less than a month away, the Cougars could be peaking just in time for another strong postseason run.
Thursday, Sep 22, 2016
Playing for the first time on Reese Field this season, The Master’s University women’s soccer team battled No. 10 Vanguard University in both teams’ Golden State Athletic Conference opener Wednesday afternoon.
Thursday, Sep 22, 2016
The College of the Canyons women's golf team competed at Western State Conference tournament No. 3 on Monday, with sophomore Amanda Horii turning in a team-best score of 86 at Elkins Ranch Golf Course.
Thursday, Sep 22, 2016
The No. 11 College of the Canyons women's volleyball team picked up a 3-0 (25-17, 25-14, 25-20) victory over San Bernardino Valley College on Tuesday, to record the program's 20th consecutive regular season home win.
-->
I have taken many walks on the plains of Tanzania with Masai body guards armed with spears and occasionally rifles. It is rather unnerving to think at any moment, you could become prey to a lion, cheetah or another apex predator.
World’s Deadliest Creatures
Men’s Soccer: COC Plays to Scoreless Draw with West Hills Lemoore
Cross Country: Cougars Keep Improving
1855 - Sanford & Cyrus Lyon establish Lyon's Station (for stagecoaches) near today's Sierra Hwy & Newhall Ave [story]
Professional endurance driver Carl Reese of the Santa Clarita Valley and Sebastián Montero of Quito, Ecuador, set a new world record for riding on motorcycles from the closest point on Earth to the sun to an elevation at sea-level in a single day.
2 Riders, 1 from SCV, Set World Record from Highest to Lowest Point
Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen is adding another special correspondent to its already impressive roster, announcing Tuesday that New York Times bestselling author and community activist Kim Goldman will join the Daytime Emmy-nominated show, which has just begun its second season.
SCV Nonprofit Leader Kim Goldman Joins WB’s ‘Crime Watch Daily’ as Special Correspondent
Jack and Jill of America Inc., a membership organization dedicated to nurturing future African-American leaders, has announced its 2016-2017 National Teen Board, Morgan Smith, a senior at West Ranch High School, is the Far West Region teen president from the Santa Clarita-Antelope Valley Chapter.
West Ranch Senior is Group’s Teen Leader for Western U.S.
Academy Class No. 415, which is made up of 63 male and 16 female deputy sheriffs; and 5 male and 2 female police officers from El Segundo, Inglewood, Los Angeles School and Montebello Police Departments, graduated from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Biscailuz Center Training Academy in Los Angeles during ceremonies held Friday.
86 Recruits Become Peace Officers Friday
The free test is valued at $40 and checks for 12 drugs — seven illicit and five prescription — and comes with substance abuse prevention strategies and a family drug prevention plan.
Sept. 26: Sheriff Handing Out Free Home Drug Test Kits in Val Verde
Assemblyman Scott Wilk honored California Bakery & Cafe on Friday as the 38th Assembly District Small Business of the Month.
Prieto’s Calif. Bakery & Cafe is Wilk’s Small Biz of Month
The City of Santa Clarita has been announced as one of the finalists for The Los Angeles County Economic Development Corporation’s (LAEDC) 2016 Most Business-Friendly City in Los Angeles County Award. Compton, Downey, Lakewood and Long Beach are also in the running.
Santa Clarita 1 of 5 Finalists for County’s Most Business-Friendly City (LAEDC)
The City of Santa Clarita invites nonprofit organizations interested in learning more about the 2017 Community Services and Arts Grants Program to a meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 27, at noon at City Hall.
Want City Arts or Community Services Grant? Come to Meeting
Proving education doesn’t always happen in the classroom, 23 students from Bowman High School volunteered to work next to construction workers at the Habitat for Heroes project on Centre Pointe Parkway in Santa Clarita Friday.
Bowman Students Learn Skills with Homes for Heroes
Women in California will have more reliable and effective access to birth control under a bill authored by Senator Fran Pavley and signed by Governor Jerry Brown on Friday.
Pavley Birth-Control Bill Signed Into Law
Not everyone cares if the food actually includes a certain ingredient, as long as the flavor tastes right to them. But, says Douglas Balentine, Ph.D., director of FDA’s Office of Nutrition and Food Labeling, if you don’t want a substitute source of the flavor you’re seeking — if, say, you want real maple syrup in your food — the information you need will be in the ingredient list on the food package.
What’s in a Name? What Every Consumer Should Know About Foods
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
The intersection at Whites Canyon Road and Soledad Canyon Road will experience nighttime and early morning lane closures from 7:00 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., on Monday, Sept. 26, and Tuesday, Sept. 27, due to construction for the Road Rehab Project.
Lane Closures Coming to Whites, Soledad Sept. 26-27
Logix Federal Credit Union donated $1,000 to Sequoia School’s biomedical curriculum, part of the cutting-edge course work from Project Lead the Way. The credit union’s contribution was about 30 percent of the cost of the program.
Logix FCU Donates $1k to Charter School for Biomed Program
Soccer: Lady Mustangs on Short End of 1-0 Conference Opener
Golf: COC’s Amanda Horii Leads Team Effort on Links
Volleyball: COC Sweeps San Berdo for 20th Straight Win at Home
The College of the Canyons women's soccer team finally had the opportunity to play a home match on Tuesday, with the Lady Cougars exciting the home crowd behind three goals and a shutout defensive performance to claim a 3-0 win over Los Angeles Valley College.
Soccer: Lady Cougars Win Home Opener 3-0 Over L.A. Valley
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the stepsister and an ex-con were charged with the murder of the woman who was found dead in Gorman. Plus, Westfield Valencia Town Center saw "Elements" on display. Watch these stories and more in tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, September 22, 2016
The Saugus Union School District announced all classrooms in all 15 District schools will be outfitted with interactive touchscreen flat panel computers by November.
Interactive Touchscreen Computers Come to the Saugus Union School District
One of the biggest events of the year is coming up October 29 at College of the Canyons and volunteers are needed.
Oct. 29: Rampage Comes to COC, Volunteers Needed
The intersection at Whites Canyon Road and Soledad Canyon Road will experience nighttime and early morning lane closures from 7 p.m. to 5:30 a.m., on Monday, September 26, 2016 and Tuesday, September 27, 2016 due to construction for the Road Rehab Project.
Commuters Warned of Lane Closures on Whites and Soledad Due to Road Rehab Project
CHP officials are investigating the death of a Littlerock man after a dump truck lost six tons of gravel on the northbound side of Highway 14 near Sand Canyon Road.
Rock Spill on SR-14 Claims Life of Motorcyclist
Eternal Valley Memorial Park and Mortuary announced that Ernie Maldonado joined the company as sales manager and that Steve Quach, who started at Eternal Valley five years ago, was promoted to assistant sales manager.
Eternal Valley Expands Team to Meet Growing Needs
A man and woman who were on the run last month with three children whose mother was found dead in Gorman have been charged with murder.
Stepsister, Ex-Con Charged with Murder of Woman Found in Gorman
If you find yourself traveling east on Interstate 40 to Needles or beyond, you might want to consider a short side trip to explore Amboy Crater National Natural Landmark. It’s located just off of National Trails Highway (Historic Route 66) about 28 miles east of the town of Ludlow.
Amboy Crater
1969 - College of the Canyons opens with first class of students in temporary quarters at Hart High School [story]
After rebounding with a pair of three-set conference wins against San Diego Christian College and Arizona Christian University, the Lady Mustangs entered Tuesday’s match against No. 13 Biola University motivated to make a statement against the NAIA perennial powerhouse, and prove that the last 10 days may have actually been a blessing in disguise.
Volleyball: Lady Mustangs Soar Over Eagles in 5-Set Thriller
The sophomore midfielder from Malawi, Africa, was in the right place at the right time in the second extra stanza, taking a pass from Trevor Mangan and shooting it past Lion keeper Brandon Gomez in the 106th minute (105:19) to win the match and set off a jubilant celebration.
Tembo Lifts TMU to 1-0 Win Over No. 8 Vanguard
Quest Diagnostics, the world's leading provider of diagnostic information services, announced Wednesday the availability of a new antibody test service that aids the diagnosis of infection with the Zika virus. The CDC has licensed the test to Quest Diagnostics and other select national reference laboratories to aid the response to the Zika emergency in the United States.
Quest Diagnostics Unveils New Test Service for Zika Virus
Tejon Ranch Co. announced Tuesday that it has signed a joint venture agreement with Majestic Realty Co., the nation’s largest privately-held industrial developer, to build an approximate 480,000-square-foot speculative industrial building at the Tejon Ranch Commerce Center.
Tejon Joint Venture to Erect 480K SF Industrial Building on Spec