SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Partly sunny
Partly sunny

April 30
1973 - Watergate figure H.R. "Bob" Haldeman, a former CalArts board member, resigns from Nixon White House [link]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Apr 28, 2016
The College of the Canyons men's golf team has been crowned champion of the Western State Conference (WSC) for a seventh consecutive year, after finishing the regular season with six straight tournament wins.
Thursday, Apr 28, 2016
The College of the Canyons swim team had its best showing at a Western State Conference (WSC) Finals event in program history last weekend, with the COC men's team finishing third and the women's team taking seventh while setting several new school records.
Thursday, Apr 28, 2016
The College of the Canyons track & field program hosted the Western State Conference (WSC) Prelims on Friday, with the Cougars men's and women's teams able to take advantage of the familiar surroundings.
Thursday, Apr 28, 2016
Some games are worth forgetting. Tuesday afternoon's game against Bethesda would be one of those for The Master's College.
Thursday, Apr 28, 2016
For the second consecutive year, The Master’s College golf team has been named conference champions after carding a collective score of 904 (300-302-302) at the 2016 Golden State Athletic Conference Championship on the greens of the Industry Hills Golf Club at Pacific Palms.
-->
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Pitchess Detention Center inmates spent time with their children Friday. Plus, Hart District Culinary students competed in a Culinary Arts Throw Down.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, April 29, 2016
Two men were arrested in Canyon Country after one was spotted by a bicyclist waving around a replica AR-15 rifle on a bike path Friday morning.
Man Arrested for Waving Around Replica Rifle in Canyon Country
I am pleased to report that my legislation to combat the prevalence of synthetic cannabinoids like “spice” and “K2” in communities across California passed the Senate Governance and Finance Committee earlier this month.
Law to Regulate Synthetic Drugs Passes First Committee | Commentary by Sharon Runner
California’s hard working students should be the number one priority of our public universities, but sadly that is not always the case.
California Students First | Commentary by Sen. Sharon Runner
Urban search-and-rescue members from the Los Angeles County Fire Department (LACoFD) and Virginia Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department have joined a response team deployed by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to support the Ecuadorian government after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the country on April 16.
LACoFD Joins Response Team in Ecuador in Light of Earthquake
The first Alzheimer’s Association California Southland Chapter’s 2016 Walk to End Alzheimer’s Team Captain Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, May 25, 2016 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
May 25: First Team Captain Meeting for Alzheimer’s Walk
Legislative and district update from Sen. Sharon Runner for April 29, 2016.
Around the 21st District with Sen. Sharon Runner
Parents and teachers are welcome to "The Brain: Unlocking the Key to Your Child's Social, Behavioral and Academic Struggles" at College of the Canyons today in the Dianne G. Van Hook University Center at 7 pm.
April 29: Lecture with Child Development Expert at COC
Acting to ensure that public safety will be protected before storage activity can resume at the Aliso Canyon gas storage facility, the Assembly today approved urgency legislation authored by Senator Fran Pavley.
Assembly OK’s Pavley-Wilk Aliso Canyon Safety Bill
On May 12, 2016, 2,300 law enforcement personnel form across the nation will participate in the Police Unity Tour.
May 12: Police Unity Tour to Raise Awareness for Fallen Peace Officers
Henry Mayo Fitness and Health, a new, full service integrated fitness center, is pleased to announce the appointment of Sharlene Duzick as Member Services Director.
Henry Mayo Fitness and Health Announces New Membership Director
The 13th annual Summer Meltdown Autism Awareness Art & Music Festival takes over Central Park Saturday, and we have the winners of last week’s SCV Rock Beat random drawing for free tickets, courtesy the Yes I Can students who stage the show.
SCV Rock Beat: Summer Meltdown, Ventura Blues, Delgados on House Blend
The Santa Clarita Philharmonic, led by music director Jeffrey Gilbert, announces the third and final concert of the 2015-2016 season on Sunday, May 15 at 3p.m.
May 15: Season’s Final Philharmonic to Feature Young, Local Talent
Start sending in registrations and gearing up to join The Painted Turtle team for the annual bike ride and first annual "walk/run/roll" to benefit The Painted Turtle camp.
October 15: Tour de Turtle, Turtle Trek Raising Funds to Bring Kids to Camp
Crime Information and Public Safety Report for Valencia: Week of April 18th - April 24th
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft in Valencia
Public Safety and Crime Information Report for Canyon Country (West): Week of April 18th- April 24th
Crime Blotter: Residential Burglary, Commercial Burglary in Canyon Country West
Crime Information and Public Safety Report for Castaic/ Val Verde: Week of April 18th - April 24th
Crime Blotter: Theft in Castaic, Val Verde
Crime Information Report and Public Safety Information for Stevenson Ranch for April 18th - April 24th
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Grand Theft Auto in Stevenson Ranch
Hillary remains impervious to her hypocrisy in receiving millions of dollars in speaking fees from the very entities and people she professes to despise.
Talk is Cheap (Not) | Commentary by Betty Arenson
2002 - LASD Deputy David March, Canyon grad & Saugus resident, murdered during traffic stop [story]
COC Golf Wins WSC Title for 7th Straight Year
COC Swim Posts Strong Times at WSC Finals
COC Track & Field Wins Three Titles & Qualifies in 23 Spots at WSC Prelims
TMC Baseball Falls to Bethesda
Mustang Golf Cards Individual & Conference Titles at GSAC Championship
With the installation of its new state-of-the-art ambulance simulator, the College of the Canyons emergency medical technician (EMT) program becomes the first program in the state — and one of only 16 in the nation — to incorporate this technologically advanced classroom-learning resource into its curriculum.
College of the Canyons EMT Program Takes a Ride into the Future
Students in third through 12th grade from Trinity Classical Academy’s Jazz Ensemble and Symphony Orchestra will join The Grace Baptist Praise Symphony Orchestra for a special concert.
May 3: Trinity, Grace Baptist Unite for Special Concert
The College of the Canyons theatre department will present its production of “In The Heights” on the main stage of the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (PAC) for a two-weekend run beginning April 29.
Broadway Musical ‘In The Heights’ Opens at COC Performing Arts Center
As of March 31, 2016, the number of County employees identified as military reservists was 615, of which 91 were called up to active duty, announced Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich.
91 County Employee Reservists Currently on Active Duty
In a community calendar full of fund-raising walks, auctions, dinners and golf tournaments, the SCV Senior Center has come up with a popular and unique event with its fourth annual Touch-A-Truck.
Senior Center Hosts Touch-A-Truck Event
A Valencia doctor pleaded guilty Thursday to submitting more than $2.4 million in fraudulent claims to Medicare.
Valencia Doctor Pleads Guilty in Medicare Fraud Case
Beginning at 3:40 a.m. on Sunday, May 8, 2016, several street closures will be in effect throughout Santa Clarita for the 2016 Wings for Life World Run.
May 8: Road Closures Scheduled for Wings for Life World Run
A man was killed after his motorcycle crashed into a curb while he was entering the freeway near Soledad Canyon Road and Sand Canyon Road Thursday, resulting in the closure of lanes in the early morning hours.
Fatal Motorcycle Crash Shuts Down SR-14 Lanes Early Thursday
The two men who died in a fatal car crash earlier this week on Sierra Highway have been identified by the Los Angeles County Coroner.
2 Men Killed in Crash Tuesday Identified