SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

October 20
1873 - Santa Barbara lawyers Charles Fernald and Jarrett ("J.T.") Richards purchase Rancho San Francisco for $33,000 (75 cents an acre) in a sheriff's sale [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Monday, Oct 20, 2014
Stage 5 of the 2015 Amgen Tour of California will finish in Santa Clarita on Thursday, May 15.
Thursday, Oct 16, 2014
Santa Clarita Little League has taken over the Charter of Castaic Little League to give families a choice for youth baseball.
Wednesday, Oct 15, 2014
The final round of the 9th Annual Newhall Cup for girls Foothill League golf was finished Wednesday at TPC Valencia with plenty of drama.
Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014
After dropping its last match to Biola University with a 1-0 heartbreaking loss, The Masters College women’s soccer team bounced back Saturday afternoon by beating Hope International University 5-0 on Pete Reese Field.
Tuesday, Oct 14, 2014
Slowing down an offense that had sparked a three-game winning streak, Hope International reaffirmed its status as the GSAC's top team Saturday afternoon, shutting out The Master's College 1-0 in Placerita Canyon.
Friend Activity

Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: A missing Palmdale man was found in an overturned car in Acton over the weekend by members of his family.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, October 20, 2014
A superior court judge again upheld the legality of cumulative voting, which was again challenged by language in a statement by city of Santa Clarita attorneys. The move led to speculation in open court Monday that a new lawsuit challenging the legality of cumulative voting could be forthcoming, officials said.
Cumulative Voting in Santa Clarita Upheld in Court
It’s a well-known fact inside the Beltway that Obama hands out ambassador nominations like $5 Starbucks cards at a PTA raffle. If you’ve helped bundle money in any way for Obama, one of your rewards could easily be an ambassadorship - not to Iraq or Iran or Russia, but a more desirable place like Norway.
Cronies Come Home to Roost
Damien Sisley, 34, of Palmdale, was found Sunday afternoon in his car down an embankment, off Mt. Emma Road and Angeles Forest Highway, said Sgt. B. Robinson of the Palmdale California Highway Patrol Station. Officials notified the family of Sisley.
Family Finds Missing Palmdale Man’s Body in Acton
The grant, from the Office of Special Education Programs in the U.S. Department of Education, is for CSUN’s new Interdisciplinary Deaf Education Teacher Preparation Program (IDEP). The program will develop a team that will include members of the Deaf community, parents, interpreters, paraeducators and related service professionals to help prepare teachers to more effectively impact their deaf students.
CSUN Deaf Ed Program Gets $1.25M Federal Grant
Come enjoy a night of Bingo and great appetizers during this special fundraiser on Wednesday, October, 29, from 6 to 9:30 p.m. benefiting the Breast Imaging Center at Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital.
Oct 29: Bingo Night Benefits Sheila R. Veloz Breast Imaging Center
Amgen Returns to Santa Clarita in 2015
Since the founding of Santa Clarita, there has been a dream of eliminating billboards citywide. It was going to be an expensive dream. The “deal” worked out actually brings money into the city and gets rid of dozens – repeat, dozens - of those massive eyesores.
Bird in the Hand
California residents must register to vote by today in order to participate in the upcoming Nov. 4 general election, according to California Secretary of State Debra Bowen. Voter registration closes 15 days prior to any California election.
Voter Registration Deadline is Today, Oct. 20
The Western Los Angeles County Council, Boy Scouts of America, honored Scott and Vanessa Wilk, Arif and Pam Halaby and Mike and Mary Delorenzo as Leaders of Character at a recognition dinner held Friday at the Hyatt Regency in Valencia.
Boy Scouts Honor Leaders of Character at Fundraiser
Passing the entrance sometime after 3 a.m., I saw some trucks entering the dump. I was too tired to notice the time. As I approached the town, the smell went away. It was on a west wind, and I was now upwind of the dump. I continued all the way around to Hasley Canyon, then Commerce Center Drive and turned toward the Castaic Union School District office. The smell was stronger, the closer I got to the dump.
Traveling Smells
Tony Strickland has accepted donations from Cemex, and he is boastful of his backing from attorney R. Rex Parris who has sued the city of Santa Clarita and multiple local school districts. A “representative” of the people is unfit for duty when he cozies up to those who repeatedly sue taxpayers.
The Visiting Candidate
1945 - Acton Hotel, est. 1890, burns down; arson is suspected [story]
I’ve tried spraying him with water, which is the normal way to treat disobedient cats. But he loves it. It’s a game for him. You see, Asian leopard cats are related to the fisher cats, and they love water.
Titus Andronicus
Our county's parks are vital, but Proposition P saddles all property owners in Los Angeles County with an additional tax hike that is not needed.
Vote No on ‘P’
Princess Cruises today announced the celebrity guest list for the Regal Princess naming ceremony and Love Boat cast reunion taking place in Ft. Lauderdale next month.
‘Love Boat’ Cast to Participate in Regal Princess Naming Ceremony
City of Santa Clarita Planning Commission agenda for Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2014.
Oct. 21 Planning Commission: Yoga Studio, Animal Shelter, Cigar Shop
The company that builds the animal enclosures at Tippi Hedren’s Shambala Preserve in Acton has replicated the jungle gym from the 1963 Hitchcock film that made the actress famous – and set her on a path to self-sufficiency that has enabled her to rescue lions, tigers and other “big cats” from abusive owners and environments.
Replica Jungle Gym from ‘The Birds’ Installed at Shambala
The Oct. 26 fundraiser will feature food, games, music and fun for the whole family.
Oct. 26: Halloween Festival to Help LARC Tackle Issues
The agreement, which covers more than 23,000 instructional faculty, coaches, librarians and counselors on the 23 CSU campuses, will be in effect through June 30, 2017.
CSU Reaches Tentative Multi-Year Agreement with Faculty
The County of Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society, is presenting its 21st Annual Wild West Roses Rose Show & 3rd Annual Rose Art Exhibition.
Calling All Artists: Enter for Hart Park Rose Show Exhibition
Scoring a total of 140 points out of a possible 145 points, L.A. County's Housing Authority received an overall performance rating of High Performer, HUD's top designation.
County’s Section-8 Housing Earns Highest Marks from Feds
Members of the Santa Clarita Artists’ Association celebrated its 25th anniversary with the annual SCAA Art Classic at William S. Hart Park on Saturday.
Artists’ Assn. Celebrates 25th with Show at Hart Park