SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

September 30
1955 - Actor James Dean, 24, drives through Castaic Junction en route to his final resting place [watch]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

14. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

15. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

16. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

17. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

18. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

19. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

20. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

21. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

22. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

23. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

24. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

25. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

26. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

28. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

29. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

30. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Monday, Sep 29, 2014 5:38 pm
The Master College’s Natasha Coyle has been named the GSAC’s Women's Soccer Offensive Player of the Week.
Monday, Sep 29, 2014 5:06 pm
Hart High School has announced the hiring of Tony Uebelhardt as the head coach of its new lacrosse program.
Thursday, Sep 25, 2014 2:12 pm
The Master’s men’s golf team finished third at the California State Intercollegiate Classic at Diamond Valley Golf Course in Hemet, California.
Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 5:14 pm
Just days after a frustrating scoreless effort, the College of the Canyons women's soccer team made up for missed chances and scored five goals in a shutout victory over Santa Barbara City College on Monday afternoon.
Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 4:29 pm
Karis Frankian of The Master’s College women’s cross country team has been awarded with the NAIA’s Women’s Cross Country National Runner of the Week.
Friend Activity

Can you imagine being on the long flight from Chicago to Burbank, and as you are preparing to land, you get word you’d be landing in a pasture near a dry wash between Saugus and Newhall? That’s about how the landing field looked. Gravel and grass for a runway. A few lights for early and late landings.
Newhall Itinerary | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
I’m fighting to protect your rights and bring about fair tax policies that help grow our economy and jobs. As your taxpayer advocate and elected member of the California State Board of Equalization, I welcome your ideas about how we can work together to solve the problems facing our state.
Tax News & Views from George Runner
Los Angeles County supervisors are expected to approve about $337 million to pay for AB 109 programs this week. Gov. Jerry Brown signed a local legislator’s bill extending the sunset date of California’s wiretap law. Hundreds of Santa Clarita families attended the fifth annual Family Promise Box City event in Valencia this past weekend.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, September 29, 2014
Amber Raskin, co-founder of SCVi Charter School, has been invited to visit Pinegrove School in India as guest of honor and speaker at its Annual Founder’s Day Celebration on Oct. 18. She is the first woman to be invited to speak at this event.
SCVi Charter Co-Founder to Speak at Conference in India
Upcoming job workshops and hiring events hosted by the Santa Clarita WorkSource Center at College of the Canyons.
Get a Job: Upcoming Workshops, Recruitments
This week's events and activities from the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce.
SCV Chamber This Week (9-29-2014)
Coyle Named GSAC Player of the Week
Uebelhardt Hired for Hart High Lacrosse Program
Los Angeles County supervisors Tuesday are expected to approve a reimbursement of about $337.7 million to pay for AB 109 programs, a controversial jail-prison realignment program. While Supervisor Michael Antonovich has been a vocal opponent of the state’s public safety realignment program, which was aimed at reducing the number of non-serious, non-violent and non-sexual offenders in state prisons due to a Supreme Court order, officials claim early data shows promise.
County Supes May OK $337M Jail Program Reimbursement
Many Santa Clarita residents help out the community by participating in local nonprofits, and 22 people recently spent their weekend in training at the Domestic Violence Center of Santa Clarita Valley. Linda Davies, executive director of the DVC of SCV, and her team, bring in local officials including Deputy Josh Dubin of the Santa Clarita Sheriff's Station to train individuals interested in being domestic violence advocates and counselors.
Domestic Violence Center Trains Advocates, Counselors
“This bill ensures that investigators have the tools they need to protect Californians by pursuing the most serious cases while upholding civil liberty and privacy protections,” said Pavley, who represents a portion of the west side of the Santa Clarita Valley.
Brown Signs Pavley Bill to Extend Wiretap Law
“Drugs Kill,” a free drug education meeting updating the Santa Clarita Valley community about the latest trends in drug abuse, and hosted by the Action Family Counseling drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers, is set for the Dr. Dianne Van Hook University Center at College of the Canyons in Valencia Thursday, Oct. 2, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Action Hosting ‘Drugs Kill’ Info Meeting At COC
This year's Tribute honors two outstanding local women with global impact—Dianne Curtis and Cheri Fleming.
Zonta Club to Honor Two Local Women at 30th Annual Tribute Dinner
"The purpose is to build community awareness of our homeless problem in Santa Clarita, in regards to families and children," Choppe said. "That's Hundreds Attend Family Promise of Santa Clarita Valley Box City Eventreally what Family Promise is to assist with."
Box City Takes Over Bridgeport Park
College of the Canyons students will explore California’s natural beauty, innovation and enduring spirit of optimism during the “California Dreaming” art exhibit at the Old Town Newhall Library beginning Oct. 1.
COC Student’s “California Dreaming” Art on Exhibit in Newhall
Due to VA backlogs, some veterans have had to wait more than four years to receive their disability rating certifications. As a result, they’ve missed out on thousands of dollars in property tax refunds to which they were entitled and anticipated receiving.
Brown Signs Bill to Aid Disabled Veteran Homeowners
Not being very familiar with the border area, the sergeant chose the wrong lane in which to turn around at the border. When he realized his mistake, he immediately told the guard what had happened and that he was simply looking to get back to the U.S. He also immediately disclosed that he had guns in the back of the pickup, legal in the U.S.
Our Unknown Soldier
Saugus Cheer Squad officials will host a cheerleading clinic Saturday, Oct. 18, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Saugus High School gym.
Oct. 18: Saugus High Cheer Clinic
The biggest lie we keep hearing from the dump is that the SCV needs it to expand. Our future growth is dependent upon the dump getting bigger. Well, with a little over 80 percent of the stuff being dumped in Chiquita today coming from outside of the SCV, what would be wrong with stopping that and using it for the SCV only?
Strange Tactics
1907 - Actor & Placerita movie ranch owner Orvon Gene Autry born in Texas [story]
Telly’s in Castaic hosted a car show Saturday to celebrate the restaurant's sixth anniversary and raise some funds for a relative battling cancer.
Car Show in Castaic Saturday Helps Cancer Fight
The two-day, non-competitive Hart of the West Powwow and Native American Craft Fair was even busier than last year’s event.
Powwow, Native American Craft Fair at Hart Park
The memory of a Los Angeles County firefighter from Santa Clarita will be honored in an upcoming ceremony in Sacramento.
SCV Fire Captain to be Memorialized in Sacramento