SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

January 31
1943 - 3 Army aviators killed in crash of plane and glider in Castaic area; 3 others saved by 9-year-old Marylynn Winkler [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Jan 29, 2015
Santa Clarita Christian School will host Trinity Classical Academy Thursday night in a Heritage League showdown of top-ranked boys basketball "small school" powers at 7 pm at SCCS. The game will air on SCVTV and SCVTV.com at 9:30pm.
Monday, Jan 26, 2015
Over 100 kids turned out at the new Santa Clarita Little League for a baseball clinic put on by Los Angeles Dodgers greats Reggie Smith and Bill Russell.
Monday, Jan 26, 2015
Canyon Cowboys sophomore quarterback Miles Fallin has been named to the CalHiSports.com All-State Sophomore Second Team.
Monday, Jan 26, 2015
Hart Indians punter Andrew Nielsen was named to the CalHiSports.com All-State Junior Second Team.
Friday, Jan 23, 2015
The tenth annual Amgen Tour will feature an unprecedented lineup of the world’s top cycling teams for 2015.
Friend Activity

Detectives with the Sheriff’s Department’s Special Victims Bureau and Los Angeles Police Department officers responded to the 28100 block of Kelly Johnson Parkway around 9 a.m. Friday.
Einstein Academy Staffer Placed on Leave Amid Police Inquiry
An off-duty police officer detained a woman for trying to steal from an unlocked car in a residential community in Saugus early Saturday morning.
Off-duty Cop Stops Car Burglary in Saugus
Deputies responded to the 18300 block of Oak Canyon Road in Canyon Country around 10:40 p.m. after a call came in about a man who had allegedly hit a parked car and passed out in the drivers seat.
Short Car Chase Leads to DUI Arrest
Jill Hackett’s one woman show, “Journeys in Pastel,” is now running and just extended to March 19, 2015 at the Canyon Theatre Guild at 24242 Main Street in Old Town Newhall.
Pastel Artist’s Work on Display in Newhall
A burglary call near Arroyo Seco Junior High today around 1 p.m. lead to a short vehicle pursuit plus more on tonight's SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, January 30, 2015
The Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society will present a tour of the St. Francis Dam site on Saturday, March 14.
March 14: Annual St. Francis Dam Talk & Tour
Despite Proposition 30 taxing California residents a little bit more in order to fund schools, some smaller, less impoverished school districts actually are seeing less money. Add that to an inexplicable 300-student loss in 18 months, and you have the makings of a full-on financial crisis for an otherwise fiscally sound district that just weathered a recent, devastating economic downturn
Falling Enrollment Creates Budget Gap for Castaic Schools
Santa Clarita Sheriff’s Station received a call about a burglary around 1:05 p.m. in a residential community in North Valencia near Arroyo Seco Junior High.
Burglary Call Leads to Short Pursuit Near Junior High
Authorities have charged a drug dealer for the murder of a former UCLA basketball player and Fox executive who went missing in May 2012.
Drug Dealer Charged In Murder of Fox Studio Executive
48 Hours will be airing an episode that investigates a murder-for-hire case about a local businessman's plot to kill his wife.
Popular Crime Show to Air Episode on Local Story
COC Athletic Department is hosting its Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Friday, Jan. 30.
COC to Induct Hall of Famers Friday
The Newhall School District is preparing for a new superintendent on Sunday when longtime Superintendent Dr. Marc Winger will step down and Paul A. Cordeiro will take his place.
New Superintendent Taking Over in Newhall
Stevenson Ranch & Valencia-Westridge, Zone 3 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information Snapshot for 01/19/2015 to 01/25/2015
Crime Blotter: Burglaries on West Side
2003 - Actress & big cat rescuer Tippi Hedren of Acton inducted into Hollywood Walk of Fame [story]
The Middle East is exploding, every terrorist group imaginable is rampaging and murdering thousands daily with Iran, among them, vowing to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth and various radical Muslim terrorist groups declaring to overtake America – and yet, “the shadow of crisis has passed?”
Brazile’s Bluster
Santa Clarita Valley community members are coming together in support of a Hart High grad and his wife after their 9-day-old baby was born with cancer.
’03 Hart Grad and Wife Raising Funds for Newborn with Cancer
Los Angeles County Fire and Sheriff’s Station deputies were on scene Thursday to rescue a worker who was partially buried during a construction accident in the 25800 block of Industry Circle in the Valencia Commerce Center.
Construction Worker Rescued from Hole
In partnership with the California Nonprofits Association, BOE Member George Runner is hosting a free Telephone Townhall at 10 a.m. on Thursday, February 19, 2015 to provide information on tax issues specific to nonprofits and faith-based organizations.
Nonprofit Tax Questions? Tele-Townhall for Charities Feb. 19
Rexford Industrial Realty Inc., a real estate investment trust that acquired the 138,980-square-foot Avenue Kearny industrial park in July, announced the pricing Thursday of an underwritten public offering of 10,000,000 shares of its common stock at a public offering price of $16.00 per share.
Owner of Ave. Kearny Complex Raising $153MM
We are pleased to announce that tickets for An Evening with Cow Bop and An Evening with Buffalo Bill at William S. Hart Mansion are now on sale.
More Entertainment Added to Cowboy Festival Lineup
Bart had become part of the Maus family and was just as at home playing in his backyard as he was searching for explosives or illicit material on the Metro bus and rail system.
EOW: Deputy Says Goodbye to Transit Division Bomb Dog
Thursday nights will heat up in Santa Clarita as the City’s popular Thursdays @ Newhall series, presented by Galpin Subaru, returns to Old Town Newhall on March 5, 2015.
Thursday Nights in Newhall Revving Up
A gas leak, new engineering and technology program, sports and entertainment is what's on the menu tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, January 29, 2015