SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

January 20
1993 - Hart High grad Dee Dee Myers (1979) becomes first female White House press secretary [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Jan 19, 2017
The 2017 USA Swimming Open Water National Championships (featuring stand-alone Junior National Championships for the first time) are slated for May 19 through 21 at Castaic Lake.
Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017
Lawrence Russell scored a game-high 22 points and Tim Soares notched a double-double as The Master's University played its most complete game of the season to date in a 93-72 victory over Vanguard before a raucous crowd at Bross Court.
Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017
The College of the Canyons women's basketball team hosted the inaugural two-day 'Canyons Crossover' event in the Cougar Cage Jan. 6-7, attracting a field of four teams from the Western State Conference.
Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017
Special hockey teams from as close by as Simi Valley and San Diego and as far away as Colorado, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, and British Columbia are getting set to head to Valencia for the 6th annual UCT Winter Hockey Festival taking place Jan. 13-15, 2017.
Monday, Jan 9, 2017
This is one Kelvin Starr will be able to forget about very quickly. The first-year TMU head coach watched incredulously Saturday evening as Hope International ran his Mustangs off Bross Court, using an early run to set the tone in an 88-56 win.
-->
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, an overnight and early morning storm caused flooding, downed trees, and accidents throughout SCV Friday. Plus, the sole victim of a plane crash in Lake Hughes has been identified. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, January 20, 2017
News and views from College of the Canyons.
News from COC: The Bottom Line, Winter 2016/17
A series of storms is sweeping through Los Angeles County, with the final and strongest one predicted to affect the area late Saturday night through Monday. The combined rainfall totals for all three storms could be 3.00-6.00” for coastal and valley areas, with up to 9.00” possible in some foothill and mountain areas. Potential impacts include flash flooding and debris flows for recent burn areas, rock and mudslides along canyon roads, urban and small stream flooding, significant travel delays, isolated power outages, and dangerous driving conditions.
L.A. County Braces for a Series of Storms
Medical examiners identified a man whose body was found on Christmas Day near Agua Dulce.
Human Remains Found in Agua Dulce Identified
Parents and students will be offered information about healthy study habits and managing mental health at the William S. Hart Union High School District’s Parent and Student Empowerment (PASE) Information Night.
Hart District to Discuss Mental Health, Study Habits
Coroner’s officials identified the sole victim of a Lake Hughes plane crash Friday.
Plane Crash Victim Identified
10 Things to Expect at Thursdays @ Newhall
10 Things to Expect at Thursdays @ Newhall
On Tuesday, February 7 at 7:00 P.M, Trinity Classical Academy’s Speaker Series welcomes Dr. Hugh Ross, PhD, astronomer, best-selling author, and Founder of Reason To Believe.
Feb. 7: Trinity Classical Academy’s Speaker Series
The Board of Supervisors has appointed Dr. Christopher Rogers to the position of Acting Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner, effective Friday.
County Names New Chief Medical Examiner-Coroner
The California High-Speed Rail Authority will be hosting five community open house meetings in the Bakersfield to Palmdale Project Section starting next Saturday, January 28 in Rosamond.
California High-Speed Rail Authority to Host Public Meetings
Valencia High School students take honors at 2017 Socal Career Development Conference.
VHS Students Take Honors at Socal Career Development Conference
Princess Cruises received top honors in USA TODAY’s 10Best Readers’ Choice travel awards, being named “Best Ocean Cruise Line” after the cruise line was nominated by cruise industry experts and ultimately voted on by USA TODAY readers. In addition, Princess Cruises was recognized for “Best Cruise Ship Entertainment,” “Best Cruise Ship Dining” and “Best Cruise Ship for Families.”
Princess Cruises Named in USA TODAY’s 10Best Readers’ Choice
Assemblyman Dante Acosta, R-Santa Clarita, has announced his committee appointments including his selection to serve as Vice Chair of the Committee on Natural Resources.
Acosta Named to Several Committees
Two senior al-Qaida operatives were killed recently in separate U.S. airstrikes in Syria, Pentagon Press Secretary Peter Cook said in two statements.
Two al-Qaida Operatives Killed in Syria
In anticipation of a more severe storm on Sunday, Bouquet Canyon Road is scheduled to be closed between the gates at 5 p.m. on Sunday, January 22, until conditions and inspection allow.
County Closes Some Canyon Roads Due to Storm
The County Interim Health Officer is extending a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Affected areas include:
Jan. 20- 24: Cold Weather Alert Issued
The California Transportation Commission (CTC) has adopted 49 projects, valued at more than $127 million, to support needed upkeep on California’s aging roads and bridges, make upgrades to transit and rail systems and encourage use of alternative forms of transportation, including biking and walking.
Caltrans Adopts 49 Projects Worth $127 Million
It finally happened. The Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus is closing very shortly.  There's nothing to fear over losing this circus because another is actively swelling to massive proportions. Hysteria and annihilation are the main attractions. It's the Left's Circus over the duly elected Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States of America.
The new circus in town
Twelve Golden Valley High School students and two teachers made the trip to Washington D.C. to watch the inauguration of Donald Trump as the United States of America’s 45th President.
GVHS Students in D.C. to Witness Inauguration
A flash flood warning has been issued for the Santa Clarita Valley. Residents living in recent burn areas, especially the Sand Fire burn area, take precautions to avoid mudslides and flooding.
Jan. 20: Flash Flood Warning In Effect for SCV
Newhall Crime and Public Safety Report for Week of 01/09/17- 01/15/17
Crime Blotter: Petty Theft, Grand Theft in Newhall
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station will host the fifteenth Sheriff’s Community Academy beginning February 28, 2017.
Submit Application to Upcoming SCV Sheriff Community Academy
Newhall Crime and Public Safety Report for Week of 01/09/17- 01/15/17
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft, Petty Theft in Newhall
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Supervisor Kathryn Barger is proposing a motion to establish a $20,000 reward for information about the suspect responsible for a fatal hit-and-run. Plus, a new event for the 2017 Cowboy Festival lineup. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, January 19, 2017
The Board of Supervisors will be asked to approve a motion by Supervisor Kathryn Barger establishing a $20,0000 reward for information leading to the arrest and/or conviction of a suspect or suspects responsible for the hit-and-run death of a 15 year-old girl in Canyon Country.
Reward Offered in Hit-And-Run Death of Canyon Country Girl
The public is invited to participate in a stakeholder forum to learn about the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act and provide input regarding the formation of a Groundwater Sustainability Agency for the Santa Clara River Valley East Subbasin, which underlies most of the Santa Clarita Valley.
Jan. 24: Sustainable Groundwater Management Act Meeting
With the interest being generated by the 2017 Presidential Inauguration, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has committed resources to ensuring a state of readiness and preparedness. Although we anticipate many will express their views and opinions of the democratic process, we DO NOT have any specific or credible information indicating that any areas of Los Angeles County will substantially affected or disrupted.
Sheriff Ready for Inauguration Day Protests
Officials with the Coroner’s Office have released the identity of a woman killed in a fatal crash off Kelly Johnson Parkway.
Victim of Fatal Crash Near Walmart Identified
As the council wanted to appoint someone anyway, why not appoint the candidate who came in next place in the election?
Human Nature 101
May 19-21: Open Water Nationals Returns to Castaic Lake
VIA is hosting its 2017 Employment Law Update, presented by Brian Koegle and David Poole of Poole & Shaffery, LLP on Tuesday, February 21.
Feb. 21: 2017 Employment Law Update
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission is accepting applications from organizations seeking support for music programming at their facility or designated location.
March 1: Submit Application for ‘Free Concerts in Public Sites’ Program
Hart Regiment is now offering a simple way to contribute to its organization and help support the Regiment as it continues to work towards excellence.
Hart Regiment Offering Simple Way to Support Organization
Local Realtors during 2016 assisted 2,493 sales of existing single-family homes throughout the Santa Clarita Valley while the annual price rose 6.3 percent, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported today.
SCV 2016 Home Sales Increase, Annual Prices Rise
Saddle up: tickets for the 24th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival are selling quickly and now is the time to start looking at all the events we have to offer in addition to the Festival.
Cowboy Festival Adds New Event to Hart Mansion