SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

August 28
1962 - Valleywide brush fire consumes Gene Autry's Melody Ranch movie town in Placerita Canyon [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Aug 27, 2015
Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015
Canyon High graduate Alysia Montano career struggles at the IAAF World Championships continued early Wednesday morning in Beijing as she was unable to qualify for the 800-meter final, the event she is currently the U.S. National Champion in.
Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015
Saugus High School's cheerleading squads are hosting a cheer clinic fundraiser Sept. 20 that will teach cheer skills to kindergarteners through eighth graders, who will then have an opportunity to perform during halftime of a Saugus varsity football game in October.
Monday, Aug 24, 2015
The City of Santa Clarita is excited to welcome back the Santa Clarita Marathon, presented by Parkway Motorcars, for its 20th-anniversary event on Sunday, November 8.
Monday, Aug 24, 2015
The community got active this Saturday at the Santa Clarita Sports Complex’s Seventh Annual Youth Sports and Healthy Families Festival.
Friend Activity

AMG & Associates Inc., an award-winning construction company headquartered in Santa Clarita — most recently named to the 2015 Inc. 5000 — begins work on three new construction projects that will benefit communities across California.
SCV-Based Construction Firm At Work Across California
The federal Bureau of Land Management hand-delivered a formal document to Cemex officials on Friday which terminated two 10-year contracts to mine in Soledad Canyon. A suspect who allegedly shot a man in Canyon Country on Friday morning is still at large. The cause of the Warm Fire which burned about 300 acres in Castaic has been determined as arson.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday August 28, 2015
Certain streets in Santa Clarita will be affected for the week of August 31, 2015, for the Santa Clarita Annual Slurry Seal & Overlay Project. During this time, please make sure to read all posted parking signs as dates are subject to change.
Santa Clarita Road Repaving Sched., Week of Aug. 31
From Wednesday, Sept. 2, to Friday, Sept. 4, Chuck Pontius Commuter Trail will be subject to closures from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. for slurry seal resurfacing.
Sept. 2-4: Chuck Pontius Trail Set to Be Resurfaced
Discover little known facts about the ship, her crew, her builders, and her tragic demise when local author Bill Blowers explains the “story” behind his novel, "Dangerous Betrayal – the Vendetta That Sank Titanic," and signs books at the SCV Senior Center.
Sept. 10: Meet Local Author of New Titanic Book
The Bureau of Land Management hand-delivered a formal document to a representative of the Cemex Corp. on Friday, terminating Cemex’s two 10-year contracts to mine in Soledad Canyon. The termination document cited non-performance by Cemex.
FEDS CANCEL CEMEX SOLEDAD MINING CONTRACT
Sierra Vista Junior High School home economics teacher Doris Fossen has been chosen by the American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences as its Teacher of the Year for the State of California.
National Home Economics Assn. Honors Sierra Vista Teacher
A man was transported to the hospital Friday morning after crashing into a power pole near the New Apostolic Church on Bouquet Canyon Road.
Pickup Truck Takes Out Power Pole on Bouquet
The Warm Fire in Castaic that burned about 300 acres was the result of arson, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s investigators.
Fire at Abandoned Rehab Facility Was Deliberately Set, Officials Say
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are searching for a suspect who apparently shot a man in Canyon Country.
Canyon Country Man Reportedly Shot by Known Assailant
Assemblyman Scott Wilk’s AB 240 which would allow recipients of special recognition military license plates free entrance to all California State Parks was killed in Senate Appropriations Committee.
Wilk’s Free ‘Park’-ing Bill for Military Veterans Dies in Senate
U.S. Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer came out in support of two major climate and clean energy bills that are before the state Legislature, SB 32 and SB 350, and sent an open letter to members of the California State Assembly.
Feinstein, Boxer Endorse Pavley’s Climate Bills
The temporary structures – consisting of several steel sheets approximately 40 feet by 40 feet and 12 feet deep - will hold back the sand at the bottom of the river while the contractors excavate approximately 12 feet into the riverbed. This will allow for the installation of structural supports for the future viaduct.
High-Speed Rail: Cofferdams Installed in Fresno
Hurricane Katrina hit the American Gulf Coast on Aug. 29, 2005, causing initial destruction from Texas to Florida. It wreaked such damage over such a large area that it changed the way the U.S. government responds to disasters.
Remembering Katrina a Decade Later
Castaic and Val Verde: Zone 2 Public Safety and Crime Prevention Information for the Week of 8/17/2015 to 8/23/2015
Castaic Blotter: Cigs, Paintball Guns Stolen in Smash-n-Grab Burglaries
Bill Clinton is undeniably a master politician. He simply picked up the phone and urged Trump to run. Clinton played the egotistical Trump like his saxophone. Clinton knew Trump’s immeasurably narcissistic, pompous self-image couldn’t resist the ostensible compliment. It worked. Who’s Trump attacking? Not Hillary.
The Art of the Deal
Long before there were college and university-level a cappella singing groups like you would hear and see in the movie, “Pitch Perfect,” the SPEBSQSA was formed. It was from an era without radios or TV. Nothing was amplified, either. Just the power of the voice.
Men of Harmony
Seth Boyden, a 2015 graduate of California Institute of the Arts in Valencia, has been named a winner of a Student Academy Award for his short film, "An Object at Rest."
CalArts Grad Wins Student Academy Award
The family-friendly event is free and includes fun activities for all ages, a giant water slide, a rock-climbing wall, door prizes, games, free hot dogs and other food, as well as a DJ.
Aug. 30: Block Party at Valencia United Methodist
Copper Hill Drive will experience lane closures from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. from now through Thursday, September 3, 2015, for the annual Slurry Seal Resurfacing Project.
Lane Closures on Copper Hill for Resurfacing Thru Next Week
Up for approval by the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday: Ordinance amending the water pipeline franchise granted to Valencia Water Company to extend the term of the franchise to December 31, 2018, clarify the exclusion on the transportation of hazardous substances or hazardous waste, expand the franchise area southerly boundary and make other minor changes to clarify certain provisions in the ordinance.
Ordinance Extends Pipeline Franchise, Expands Valencia Water Co. Boundary
A suspect has been detained after a tense standoff with Sheriffs, plus the Cities Drug Symposium educates locals on the dangers of pot, and a local teen scores big at the Taekwondo Championship in Korea, plus weather & entertainment.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, August 27, 2015
The proposed ordinance applies to “all privately owned real property located within the unincorporated territory of the county” except when a construction or demolition permit has already been issued prior to adoption of the ordinance. Generally, a property would be eligible for historic landmark status if it is more than 50 years old and meets one or more of the following criteria: Is associated with significant historical events; is associated with the lives of historically significant persons; embodies a distinctive architectural style or represents the work of an important designer; is likely to yield important historical information; is eligible for listing in the state or national register; is one of the largest or oldest trees in the county; or is a natural feature that is tied to an important person, event or place. Properties less than 50 years old can be eligible if they’re especially significant.
County Historic Preservation Ordinance Ready for Adoption