SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Sunny
Sunny

July 25
1915 - Pioneer Juan Batista Suraco buried in a family graveyard, currently unmarked, in Bouquet Canyon near Benz Road [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Jul 21, 2016
Sunday saw a derby matchup between the cross-valley rivals Santa Clarita Storm and Valley United FC as the United Premier Soccer League’s summer season opened.
Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016
The Master’s College women’s soccer team has signed Suzanne Mabie, a native of Ladera Ranch, California.
Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016
The Master’s College men’s basketball team has signed Lawrence Russell, a 6-5 guard from Port Townsend, Washington.
Wednesday, Jul 20, 2016
The Santa Clarita Blue Heat scored the first two goals of the match and then fended off a comeback from the Colorado Pride to take a 4-2 win at The Master’s College on July 15, keeping their title hopes alive.
Monday, Jul 18, 2016
Santa Clarita resident Donna Murren is competing in the CrossFit Games this week, going up against the world’s most fit CrossFit athletes in pursuit of the title, “Fittest on Earth.”
-->
Updates on the Sand Fire for Monday, July 25, 2016.
Sand Fire Day 4: Evacs, Road Closures Continue
After the wind carried the Sand Fire south into the Magic Mountain wilderness Friday, the wind shifted and blew the fire back into the Santa Clarita Valley. Firefighters waged war on several fronts over the weekend as the flames assaulted Placerita and Sand canyons, Agua Dulce and Acton. One person was found dead in Sand Canyon, and 18 structures were reported lost. The latter figure will rise when Sunday's house fires are tabulated. The Placerita Nature Center and Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve made a narrow escape; less fortunate was Sable Ranch, which lost its Western movie town.
Sunday: 33,117-acre Sand Fire Blows Back Into Placerita, Sand, Agua Dulce, Acton
The Tarahumara are known around the world as amazing, legendary runners. Since 1992, they have been running from Alaska to Panama where they meet up with another group running from the tip of South America up to Panama. I was lucky enough to see them arrive last week when they passed for the first time through the Santa Clarita Valley.
Legendary Runners | Commentary by Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel
1864 - Walker/Reynier family patriarch Jean Joseph Reynier, then 15, arrives in Sand Canyon from France; eventually homesteads 1,200 acres [story]
The Sand Fire in the Santa Clarita Valley has grown to 20,000 acres with 10 percent containment throughout Saturday with more mandatory evacuations in effect.
Sand Fire: 20,000 Acres, 10% Contained; Evacs, Road Closures (Video)
Structures have been destroyed or damaged in the Bear Divide and Sand Canyon areas.
Sand Fire Numbers
The Wildlife Waystation has been saved, thanks to the hard work of firefighters, the volunteer efforts of the Waystation's community of animal lovers, and a shift in wind direction - which sent the fire heading back toward Sand and Placerita canyons.
News from Wildlife Waystation
1982 - Vic Morrow & two child actors killed in helicopter crash at Indian Dunes during filming of "Twilight Zone: The Movie" [story]
A brush fire that erupted Friday afternoon in the Santa Clara River bed in Canyon Country was blown south into the Angeles National Forest and had charred 3,327 acres with no containment by 9:45 p.m., with hundreds of homes evacuated.
Sand Fire Grows to 3,327 Acres; 200-300 Evacuations
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the Sand Fire reaches 2,500 acres with no containment as of 6 p.m. Friday. Plus, a rally brought dozens of residents together in front of the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff Station to show their support for law enforcement.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, July 22, 2016
Antonovich is asking the board to instruct the Chief Executive Officer to work with the Department of Animal Care and Control and the Sheriff to report back in 30 days on the feasibility of establishing an animal shelter for small animals on the grounds of Pitchess Detention Center.
Antonovich Proposes Shelter for Small Animals on Castaic Jail Property
The Helitanker, leased annually from Erickson Aviation Inc., will arrive for service in Los Angeles County on Aug. 1 and will join the SuperScooper, which will be leased later in the season.
Fire-fighting Helitanker to Arrive 2 Weeks Early
Introducing therapy dogs inside the Twin Tower Correctional Facility is proving to be a great success and a desired program for the inmates.
County Jail System Goes to the (Therapy) Dogs
A recent opinion piece by Newhall County Water District Director Lynne Plambeck made some serious – but patently untrue – allegations regarding Castaic Lake Water Agency that demand correction and clarification.
Don’t Let Plambeck Fool You
Erin Nahas, a 15-year-old Girl Scout from Castaic, spent two weeks in Costa Rica and Panama where she and her cohorts helped reroute water in a rainforest, painted an elementary school and assisted with a sea turtle conservation project.
Castaic Girl Scout Has Unforgettable Experience in Costa Rica, Panama
Multiple employers will be looking to fill over 100 job openings. Employers attending the event include AMS Fulfillment, ITT Aerospace Controls, Princess Cruises, Regent Aerospace Corporation, Target, Six Flags Magic Mountain and many more.
July 29: Job Fair at COC Features 29 Employers
The Child and Family Center recently celebrated 40 years of helping children and families challenged with emotional, learning and behavioral issues.
Child, Family Center Celebrates 40 Years
A 27-year-old man has been charged with starting a brush fire near Highway 138 and 269th Street West in Neenach, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday. He also faces a second count of arson in an unrelated incident.
Caught on Video, Man Charged with Starting Neenach Brush Fire
Wishtoyo Foundation filed a lawsuit Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court against the State Water Resources Control Board over the use and management of recycled water throughout California. Wishtoyo alleges that new regulations issued by the State Board on June 7, 2016, fail to adhere to the requirements of the California Constitution, Water Code, and Public Trust Doctrine.
Indigenous Group Sues State Over Recycled Water Management
Traffic investigators from the Lancaster Sheriff’s Station are investigating the circumstances of a solo vehicle, fatal traffic collision that occurred on West Avenue G at 55th Street West in the City of Lancaster.
Wanted: Witnesses to Fatal July 20 Collision in Lancaster
The Painted Turtle's annual BBQ fundraiser will include delicious food, beer and wine, live music by The Hit Machine, silent and live auctions, tours of camp and more.
Sept. 17: Hawaiian Beach BBQ to Help Painted Turtle Camp in Lake Hughes
Crime reports for Canyon Country (West)
Crime Blotter: Burglaries, Thefts in CC-West
2000 - Historic Larinan house in Pico Canyon burns down [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, a memorial service is planned to celebrate the life of State Senator Sharon Runner. Plus, the heat wave hit hard on Thursday, so find out what's in store for the next few days. Click the link to see these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, July 21, 2016
Bank of Santa Clarita announced continuing significant growth in loans Thursday for the second quarter of 2016, as total loans grew to $209.5 million, a growth of 14 percent in the first half of 2016
Bank of Santa Clarita Posts 25% Higher Profit on 14% Loan Growth
The new Gallery of Santa Clarita Artists' Association will hold its grand opening Aug. 18 starting at 5 p.m. A reception with wine and appetizers will be at 22508 6th St. in Newhall showcasing artists and their artwork. The reception is free to the public.
Aug. 18: New Artists’ Assn. Gallery Opening in Newhall
A Castaic School Board member said Thursday he will be resigning from the position. Michael Lambarth announced his departure during a special meeting of the board.
Lambarth Resigns from Castaic School Board; Seat to be Appointed
Castaic Animal Shelter is one of more than 55 shelters and rescue organizations across Southern California set to lower its adoption fees in honor of the nationwide “Clear the Shelters Day” on Saturday, July 23.
July 23: Castaic Animal Shelter Cutting Adoption Fees for ‘Clear the Shelters Day’
Sheriff Jim McDonnell announced the destruction Thursday of 7,044 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. Yielding nearly 10 tons of metal. they'll be melted into steel reinforcing bar and transformed into elements of construction for upgrades in freeways and bridges in Arizona, California and Nevada.
Swords to Plowshares: Confiscated Guns to Become Rebar (Video)
Dozens of children and parents showed their support for the California Highway Patrol with a “Chalk the Walk” event outside the CHP Newhall office, just days after a series of shootings targeting law enforcement officers.
Santa Clarita Chalks the Walk for CHP
On Tuesday, July 26, and Wednesday, July 27, 2016, Golden Valley Road between Sierra Highway and Lost Canyon Road, and the State Route 14 on and off ramps will be subject to night closures between 7 p.m. and 5 a.m. to accommodate roadway paving for the Golden Valley Road Bridge widening project.
July 26-27: Nighttime Closures of Sections of Golden Valley Road
The El Torito restaurant property on The Old Road in Valencia is available for $3.6 million from NAI Capital Inc. El Torito has left the building.
For Sale: El Torito Restaurant Property
The service will be held at Grace Chapel, located at 44648 15th Street West, Lancaster, on Friday, July 29, at 1 p.m.
July 29: Memorial Service for Sen. Sharon Runner
Longtime financial analyst and educational administrator Jeffrey Forrest takes over the position vacated by Joe Klocko, former dean of Economic and Workforce Development, who retired earlier this year.
COC Names New VP of Economic, Workforce Development