SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

February 23
1998 - Worst day of record-setting 1997-98 El Nino storm season [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017
Gabe Woodward, bronze medalist in the 4x100 meter freestyle at the 2004 Olympics, All-American swimmer and 2001 graduate of USC, joins The Master’s University to launch their first ever swimming and diving program for the Fall 2017 season.
Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017
No. 13 College of the Canyons dropped its first game of the season to Santa Barbara City College on Tuesday, as the Vaqueros scored three runs in the seventh to down the Cougars 7-4 at Whitten Field.
Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017
College of the Canyons took a 1-1 tie into the seventh inning vs. Fullerton College on Tuesday, before allowing six runs in a decisive eighth inning that gave the Hornets an eventual 7-1 victory.
Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017
The Lady Cougars finished the 2016-17 season in winning fashion by recording a convincing 68-48 victory over visiting West L.A. College despite finish the game with just four players on the floor.
Wednesday, Feb 22, 2017
College of the Canyons finished its season with a 71-66 loss to West L.A. College in a game that saw the Cougars play to an eight-point halftime lead before giving way to mistakes down the stretch.
-->
1998 - Worst day of record-setting 1997-98 El Nino storm season [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, L.A County Fire Air Ops rescued a stranded hiker Wednesday morning . Plus, have you seen Katy Perry's newest music video? You might notice a familiar place. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Fifth graders from Castaic Elementary School, Live Oak Elementary, Germain Charter Academy, Plum Canyon Elementary, and Dr. J. Michael McGrath Elementary are attending the Blue Ribbon Children's Festival at the Music Center/Performing Arts Center of Los Angeles County.
Fifth Graders from SCV Schools Heading to Blue Ribbon Children’s Festival
Los Angeles County Fire Department Air Operations located and rescued an adult male trapped on a cliff in Placerita Canyon Natural Area late in the night on Wednesday.
Man Rescued in Placerita Canyon Natural Area
The Saugus Union School District Measure EE Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 23, 2017 at 6 p.m. in the Caulfield Room at the SUSD District Office. Agenda topics include approval of minutes, a hearing session and a Measure EE update from staff.
Feb. 23: SUSD Measure EE Oversight Meeting
SCV Sheriff's traffic investigators are seeking information on a fatal Valencia traffic collision that led to the death of one woman.
Valencia Traffic Collision Kills One, Information Needed
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson and the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) announced that applications for the California Dream Act are down significantly and urged all eligible students to apply for the program, which allows undocumented students to receive state financial aid for college.
California Dream Act Applications Available
New work by James Welling (Art BFA 72, MFA 74) is on display at S.M.A.K., the Museum of Contemporary Art, in Ghent, Belgium from Jan. 28 through April 16.
CalArts Alumni’s Photography on Display in Belgium
Kirsten Lepore (Film/Video MFA 12) co-directed an animated video with actress Lena Dunham for Planned Parenthood's centennial. The short educational video, which has tallied more than 3 million views on Facebook since its Jan. 16 release, combines stop motion animation, illustration, and archival photos and audio to document the nonprofit organization's past 100 years.
CalArts Alumni Co-Directs Planned Parenthood’s Centennial Animated Video
REGULAR MEETING of the GOVERNING BOARD Sulphur Springs Union SD February 22, 2017 7:00PM Sulphur Springs Union School District District Administrative Offices 27000 Weyerhaeuser Way Santa Clarita, CA 91351 661-252-5131
Feb. 22: Sulphur Springs School District Governing Board Meeting
Olympic Medalist to Launch TMU Aquatics Program
No. 13 Canyons Drops First Game of Season 7-4 to Santa Barbara
Big Inning Costs Canyons in 7-1 Loss to Fullerton
Lady Cougars Close Season With 68-48 Win vs. West L.A.
Canyons Concludes Season With 71-66 Loss to West L.A.
The Castaic Lake Water Agency received the Operating Budget Excellence Award from the California Society of Municipal Finance Officers (CSMFO) for its FY 2016/17 Budget. This is the tenth consecutive year in which the Agency has received this award.
CLWA Receives Operating Budget Excellence Award
Crossroads Community Church is hosting a city-wide Easter Service at College of the Canyons Cougar Field on Sunday, April 16, 2017. For the sixth year, this non-denominational Easter Service is open to the public.
April 16: Crossroads Community Church Hosts Easter Service at COC
Are the needs of grandparents and other relatives who care for children truly being met in Los Angeles County? Researchers at California State University, Northridge have received a $165,756 grant from the Eisner Foundation to answer that question and others, as they take a serious look at the programs offered by one of the county’s largest providers of services to grandparents and other family caregivers, the nonprofit Grandparent as Parents (GAP). Once completed, the researchers will use their study as a catalyst for a conference on understanding the needs of this underserved and growing population.
CSUN Researchers Receive Grant Studying Services Provided to Grandparents, Family Caregivers
The California State Archives launched a new online exhibit celebrating the 50 year anniversary and history of the California Legislative Black Caucus (CLBC). In 2006, the CLBC submitted their historical materials to the State Archives for lasting preservation. This exhibit provides highlights of the CLBC’s collection, profiles trailblazers and chronicles milestones in the caucus’ history.
State Archives Launches California Legislative Black Caucus Exhibit
California State Parks’ Office of Grants and Local Services announced that it is accepting applications for the Outdoor Environmental Education Facilities Grant Program. The application due date is Friday, Sept. 1, 2017.
State Accepting Applications for Outdoor Environmental Education Facilities Grant Program
By age 21, one in three girls in foster care will give birth. These alarming numbers are proof that targeted education is necessary to overcome the stigma and challenges relating to early and unplanned pregnancy prevention. In response, the Board of Supervisors passed a motion, co-authored by Supervisor Hilda L. Solis and Supervisor Sheila Kuehl, to implement the “California’s Plan for the Prevention of Unintended Pregnancies for Youth and Non-Minor Dependents,” better known as “The Plan.”
County Supes Implement Plan for Prevention of Unintended Pregnancies
Instagram and photography lovers, this one is for you: there is a free exhibit featuring Instagram photos taken by community members on display at the Newhall Community Center.
Instagram Exhibit Showcases Creativity in Social Media
The Castaic Lake Water Agency Retail Operations Committee meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the Santa Clarita Water Division Training Room. Agenda topics include the Water Production Report, finance and budget report, and more.
Feb. 28: CLWA Retail Operations Committee Meeting
Canyon Country (West) Crime Report: Week of February 6-12
Crime Blotter: Residential Burglary, Commercial Burglary in West Canyon Country
1983 - Armed robber taken out at Alpha Beta supermarket on Lyons [story]
In the wake of the shooting death of Officer Keith Boyer, a 27-year veteran of the Whittier Police Department, a motion by Supervisor Kathryn Barger, co-authored by Supervisor Janice Hahn, calls for a full investigation into the suspect’s involvement with the state parole system and county probation supervision.
Barger Requests Investigation into Felon Suspected of Killing Whittier Officer
The County Interim Health Officer is issuing a Cold Weather Alert due to the National Weather Service’s forecast for low temperatures. Wind chill temperatures are expected to be below 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cold Weather Alert for SCV, A.V., Mountain Areas
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Homicide detectives still need your help in finding 58 year old William Cierzan, a missing man from Valencia who disappeared more than a month ago. Plus, photography and Instagram lovers can see Instagram photos from the community and have the chance to see their own works on display as well. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Senator Scott Wilk, R - Antelope Valley, announces the introduction of Senate Bill 792 (SB 792), a measure which will bring accountability and fairness to the distribution of Los Angeles County's trauma funding, saying to L.A. County: "Antelope Valley lives matter too".
Wilk Measure Brings Sunshine to Trauma Funding in Antelope Valley
See what's coming from the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce.
Upcoming SCV Chamber of Commerce Events
The current political climate in the United States has sparked fears of new anti-immigration laws and a potential culture war, prompting scholarly discussions about the necessity of ethnic studies and cultural awareness. A landmark of these discussions is the two-volume anthology “White” Washing American Education: The New Culture Wars in Ethnic Studies — a collaboration from California State University, Northridge ethnic studies professors.
CSUN Professors Collaborate on Anthology Exploring Ethnic Studies Education
The city of Santa Clarita strongly encourages residents and business owners who have been impacted by the recent storm to report damages to their homes, properties and businesses by completing the Los Angeles County’s Damage Assessment Survey located online at www.211la.org/damage-assessment-survey.
City Encouraging Residents, Businesses Owners to Report Storm Damages
Effective 8 a.m. this Thursday, February 23, Lake Oroville State Recreation Area (SRA) partially reopens. Areas surrounding the Thermalito Diversion Pool (Burma Day Use and Lakeland Day Use) and Spillway Launch Ramp will remain closed.
California State Parks Partially Opens Lake Oroville State Recreation Area
Matt Young’s Tuesday nights consist of a routine trip to Burbank, where he and an exclusive group of screenwriters are presented invaluable knowledge about their craft from industry veterans. Then, he returns to his alma mater the following day to pass along these insights to aspiring scriptwriters in a classroom.
CSUN Lecturer, Alum Selected to Warner Bros. TV Writers’ Workshop
Lexus, a returning partner of the Amgen Tour of California, has renewed its role as the official and exclusive automobile partner of the men’s and women’s events for the next five editions of the annual spring race.
Lexus Extends Amgen Tour of California Partnership with Five-Year Renewal
Noted for pediatrics, neonatal intensive care, cardiology and its highly successful robotics program, Providence Tarzana Medical Center was recognized today as one of the nation’s top hospitals, earning Healthgrades’ 2017 America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award for the third straight year.
Providence Tarzana Named One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals