SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Sunny
Sunny

February 11
1970 - Groundbreaking of County Civic Center in Valencia [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Feb 11, 2016
USC’s Katie Johnson is set to compete with the Mexican Women’s National Team as they begin the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) Olympic Qualifying Championship play today (Feb. 10) in Texas.
Thursday, Feb 11, 2016
Senior Jonathan Garrick is one of 25 golfers who have been named to The Ben Hogan Award watch list. The most prestigious award in men's college golf, The Ben Hogan Award is issued annually to the top men's NCAA Division I, II or III, NAIA or NJCAA college golfer taking into account all collegiate and amateur competitions during the past 12-month period.
Thursday, Feb 11, 2016
Sixteen of the top Division I men's tennis teams will square off in Charlottesville, Virginia, to compete for the 2016 Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Men's Team Indoor Championship.
Thursday, Feb 11, 2016
The CSUN softball team opens its 2016 season at the Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, AZ hosted by Arizona State University. CSUN will face a host of talented squads at the event, including three Pac-12 powers.
Thursday, Feb 11, 2016
Dimitar Kalchev and Jakub Ciesla had 37 of CSUN's 59 kills as the 11th-ranked Matadors held off the upset bid of USC to win in five sets (25-23, 22-25, 25-22, 13-25, 15-9) Wednesday night at Galen Center.
-->
Cow Bop is returning to Old Town Newhall for the OutWest Concert Series, presented by SCVTV.
Feb. 25: Cow Bop Returns to Old Town Newhall
Providence Holy Cross Medical Center is seeking help in identifying a male patient, race/ethnicity unknown, but believed to be in his early 70s. He is 5 feet, 8 inches and weighs 170 pounds. He was first believed to be missing two or three years ago. If you think you know or can identify this person, please contact the hospital’s clinical social work office at 818 496-4366.
Can You Identify This Person?
March 2 is the priority deadline for current and prospective students to file a free application for Federal Student Aid form or California Dream Act application to be considered for financial aid for fall 2016.
March 2: Deadline for FAFSA and Calif. Dream Act Applications
USC’s Johnson To Suit Up For Mexico In CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying
UCLA’s Garrick On Ben Hogan Award Watch List
No. 9 Bruins Compete for ITA Title
CSUN Softball Set for Season Opener
CSUN Upsets USC In Five Sets
The College of the Canyons men's golf team earned its first tournament win of the season on Monday, as the Cougars emerged victorious at Western State Conference (WSC) Tournament No. 1 held at Valencia Country Club.
Canyons Wins First Tourney of the Season at Valencia Country Club
When communication ceased between the barricaded suspect and the negotiators for a period of time, deputies made entry into the shed. At approximately 2:30 a.m. Thursday, upon making entry, deputies found a deceased man in the shed.
Armed, Suicidal Suspect Found Dead in Shed
In advance of Valentine’s Day, Senator Fran Pavley has introduced a bill that asks the Legislature to give a meaningful Valentine gift to California women – consistent access to safe, reliable birth control.
Pavley Bill Would Increase Access to Birth Control
The first face-to-face meeting of defense ministers from nations contributing to the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant marks the beginning of a new stage in that campaign, Defense Secretary Ash Carter said in Brussels Thursday.
Brussels Meeting Marks ‘New Stage’ in Fight Against ISIL
Does the Valencia Water Co. Shareholders Commitee have so little concern for the taxpayers’ money they are supposed to be overseeing? Do they not think a $73 million investment needs oversight? Or are they hiding something from the public?
$200 to Pass Go | Commentary by Lynne Plambeck
Executive Director Rachelle Dardeau is leaving the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center after nearly four and a half years of serving the local growing senior community, officials said Wednesday.
Top Exec Dardeau Leaving as Senior Center Plans to Expand Role
1970 - Groundbreaking of County Civic Center in Valencia [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca pleaded guilty to corruption charges, the Santa Clarita City Council approved a move that will accelerate a plan for Old Town Newhall and the SR-126 bridge construction is quickly approaching completion.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, February 10, 2016
The Circle of Hope Inc. Board of Directors has regretfully accepted the resignation of Executive Director Ray Tippet. As of July 1, Tippet will consider himself "retired" and plans to spend his newfound time with family, friends, and do some traveling.
Circle of Hope’s Tippet Announces Retirement
After Santa Clarita Valley records by Austin O'Neil (3K), Shannon Murakami (5-mile and 5K road) and Ashley Heys (HS 5-mile), we thought we'd look at some of the other records that could potentially be broken this year.
XC: Ten SCV Records That Could Fall In 2016
The 43rd Annual Annie Awards, the biggest honors in animation, ere held Saturday, and Disney-Pixar’s “Inside Out" by Pete Docter (CalArts '90) was the big winner. And that's not all, folks.
CalArtians Win Top Animation Awards
The Master’s College golf team kicked off its spring schedule by placing fifth out of a field of 15 teams after carding a collective score of 910 (307-305-298) at the CSUSM Fujikura Invitational.
Mustang Golf Starts Off Spring Slate
Matt Janes drove in a career-high four runs and two teammates added three rbi apiece as The Master's College walloped Claremont 19-7 Tuesday afternoon in the San Gabriel Valley.
Janes Leads Mustangs Past Claremont
The Master’s College women’s basketball team improved its record to 21-3 (11-1 GSAC) after beating Biola University 68-53 at Chase Gym in La Mirada.
Lady Mustangs Run Past Eagles For 21st Victory
Reid Shackelford scored a game-high 31 points and it still wasn't enough as tenth-ranked Biola scored the game's first six points and forged a 20-point lead in the first half en route to an 83-70 win over The Master's College Tuesday evening.
Biola Routs Mustangs in 13-Point Win
Former Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca pleaded guilty Wednesday to lying to federal investigators during a probe of the county's jail system.
Ex-Sheriff Baca Pleads Guilty to Obstruction Charges
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station is searching for a suspect involved in a bank robbery Wednesday morning.
Man Robs U.S. Bank in Valencia
From family movie nights to fitness classes, there’s something for all ages at the Canyon Country Community Center in February and March.
Fun Family Offerings at CC Community Center
An Agua Dulce man has been charged with vehicular manslaughter after an alleged solo DUI crash in which his friend was killed and two others were injured, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office.
Agua Dulce Man Pleads Not Guilty to Vehicular Manslaughter
The College of the Canyons baseball team in still undefeated, after an 8-3 win over Rio Hondo College in Tuesday's 'Home Opener' to cap a two-game sweep of the Roadrunners.
COC Downs Rio Hondo in Home Opener 8-3
Deputies with the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station are currently searching for an individual in the Canyon Country area who deputies say has a warrant out for his arrest.
Deputies in Search of Individual in Canyon Country
If passed, AB 1866 would give voters the chance in November 2016 to terminate the Bullet Train and repurpose up to $8 billion to water programs including desal, wastewater treatments and recycling facilities, reservoirs, water conveyance infrastructure and aquifer recharge.
Wilk Bill to Ballotize Swap of Train Funds for Water