SCVNews.com | Snyder Placed on Leave as Vikings Baseball Coach | 03-21-2014
Clear
Clear

October 25
1948 - Valencia developer Thomas E. Dierckman, 2012 SCV Man of Year, born in Indiana [story]

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Saturday, Oct 25, 2014
Former Valencia High students and brothers Shane Vereen of the New England Patriots and Brock Vereen of the Chicago Bears are set to play against each other for the first time on Sunday
Friday, Oct 24, 2014
Brett Croft's header with 5:40 remaining to play lifted The Master's past Johnson & Wales of Colorado 2-1 in a non-conference match on Reese Field.
Friday, Oct 24, 2014
It’s Week 3 of the Foothill League high school football season. Canyon takes on Saugus in a crucial game for playoff position.
Thursday, Oct 23, 2014
COC sophomore setter Taylor Kasha has been named the Western State Conference (WSC) Female Athlete of the Week.
Thursday, Oct 23, 2014
The College of the Canyons women’s soccer team shut out Citrus College, 6-0
Friend Activity

Real Life Church officials hosted their fourth annual Halloween event for Santa Clarita Valley families at the church’s Valencia campus on Saturday.
Real Life Church Hosts Halloween on ‘Route 66′
Valencia High Grads, Brothers to Face off in NFL Game
The total number of rabid bats reported in the Santa Clarita Valley this year has risen to 18 after three more cases were discovered during the month of September.
SCV Rabid Bat Count Continues to Rise
A vegetation fire broke out in the Angeles Forest Saturday after children who were playing nearby reportedly lit a fire in a tree stump.
Fire Breaks Out Near San Francisquito Canyon Road
If you can’t show us the “better deal,” you don’t have a better deal. A better deal has to be accepted by Metro, the city of Santa Clarita and Allvision or another sign company. Either show it to us or admit there isn't one.
Show Us the Deal
My boys are happy in their own skin, but they also love to get caught up in their imaginations, to get caught up in play, to put on that costume and become someone else - often someone they feel is more powerful than they are - strong, commanding, magical.
Magical Masks | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
Get your local news highlights every weeknight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Friday, October 24, 2014
Captain's Message: Slow down and watch for children on Halloween.
Message From SCV Sheriff’s Capt. Roosevelt  Johnson
Sally Van Swearingen, author of “It’s Not Over Yet!: Reclaiming Your Real Beauty Power in Your 40s, 50s and Beyond,” will appear at Local Author Night
Local Authors Night Tonight at Barnes & Noble
CalArts students held a campuswide protest Thursday, walking out of classes over claims the Valencia arts college mishandled a sexual assault report.
CalArts Student Alleges Mishandling of Sexual Assault Report
Croft’s Using His Head
SCV Sports Roundup for Oct. 24
About 35 marching bands and colorguard units, including all of the Hart School District high school teams, will join Hart for one of the most anticipated Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association (SCSBOA) tournaments of the season on November 1, 2014 at College of the Canyons Cougar Stadium.
Nov 1: Marching Bands Compete in Rampage
Measure EE is on the November ballot and intended to maintain excellent elementary schools in Saugus Union School District by providing safe, modern classrooms for local students, according to the measure’s website. The measure needs an approval rate of 55 percent to pass.
Voters to Decide on Saugus District Bond Measure
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are also investigating the fight, the video and the circumstances surrounding it, and the fallout from the incident already resulted in one Hart district juvenile getting arrested, officials said.
Hart District Student Arrested for Threats; Teen Brawl Investigation Continues
This was the 10th year for the Santa Clarita “Top 51 Most Influential” list. The public submitted 120 names for consideration.
SCV’s Most Influential People Honored
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies have released the crime reports for the week of Oct. 13-19.
Sheriff’s Station Releases Crime Reports, Oct. 13-19
Deputies received a reports of a suspicious open window of the 25200 block of Avenida Rotella in Valencia, and began a containment of the area, according to Sheriff’s Station reports, after receiving a report of a white van in the area.
Burglary Suspect Arrested in Saugus
The billboard agreement is the known bird-in-the-hand versus the unknown two-in-the-bush later. Of importance is that Clear Channel was invited to come in with proposals, and they have never responded. Without question, there are no guarantees of a better deal later if this one is lost.
Measure ‘S’ Pros, Cons | Betty Arenson
1954 - U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman born in Monterey Park; represents southeastern sliver of SCV [story]
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak: A man suspected of robbing a Newhall Walgreens with a shotgun Thursday is in custody.
SCV NewsBreak for Thursday, October 23, 2014
The following letter was sent to parents of Valencia High School students Thursday afternoon in regards to a fight involving several Hart District students on Friday, October 17, 2014. Dear VHS parents, We are aware of many rumors currently circulating following the fight that happened on Friday evening.
A Letter to Valencia High Parents