June 21
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody). [story]
Ernie Hickson

Jared SnyderValencia Vikings head baseball coach Jared Snyder is on leave from teaching and coaching, according to Gail Pinsker, the Public Relations Officer for the Wm. S. Hart Union School District.

“The Hart School District confirms that Valencia High School assistant baseball coach Michael Killinger has assumed the Valencia High School head baseball coaching responsibilities while Coach Jared Snyder is on leave,” Pinsker said in a statement.

According to a source with knowledge of the investigation, Snyder is on administrative leave while district officials conduct a further investigation into a parental complaint.

The leave is effective today, Hart district officials said.

An initial investigation into a parent’s accusation that there was a misappropriation of funds revealed there might be evidence to support the allegation, said a source with knowledge of the investigation.

SCVTV was able to speak with Snyder on the phone, and while he confirmed he was on leave, he would not comment further.

Hart district officials could not release any more details at this time, Pinsker said, saying only it was “a personnel issue.”

Snyder has been with the school since 1998, according to Valencia High School’s website.

“Snyder, a Nichols State alumnus (1993), has built Valencia into one of the perennial powers in Southern California,” the site states. “He has taken probably one of the worst facilities in California and turned it into one of the top in the nation.”

Under his guidance, Valencia High has won eight Foothill League titles. In 2006, the Vikings set school records for both overall wins (25) and league wins (14).

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Perry Smith from KHTS contributed to this story.

1. What’s the reason?

2. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

3. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

4. All though I don’t know why, I’m not surprised.

5. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

6. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

7. Ever wonder why it cost so much to play ball at VHS all those years? 90% of it went into his pocket. So glad he got caught

8. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

9. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

10. Really? Was he stealing? How pathetic if that is true.

11. Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

12. Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

13. Matt Hank says:

Surprised he lasted this long without getting caught

14. Denice Barnett says:

Well I’m glad that the school district actually listened to a parental complaint about a coach in this valley. The schools have placed these coaches on a pedestal. There are coaches in this valley who mentally abuse kids on a daily basis and even when parents go to the school board nothing is done.

15. Misappropriation of funds !! Wow!!

16. Gavin Plasschaert says:

Unless you are directly connected to the ALLEGED allegations AND have proof I would suggest to keep your opinions to yourself when convicting him on a message board before anything has been proven!

17. Setec Astronomy says:

Why does Valencia have the only feeder team in SCV, tightly tied to the program, a clear CIF violation? And why do kids as 8th graders have to pay a coach of Hitology a monthly fee to have any chance to make the Freshman team. Why did the previous feeder coach threaten to leave when Snyder said 2 of the best players in SCV couldn’t play for him, because they stayed on existing travel teams and did not play on his feeder team.

• vhsparent says:

I have a son at vhs and I called coach Snyder when he was in 8th grade and asked about a feeder team and he informed me vhs doesnt have a feeder team. There is hitology available but not required. My son didnt play on hitology and not only made the team but is doing great. Also if hitology is vhs feeder and they are the only feeder program in scv, who do they play. What about the JR cents of saugus, the 2 west ranch teams, Hart redhawks, the 2 Alemany teams, the Kennedy high team, the GHHS team, Moorpark. Knwo what you are talking about before making comments

18. Casey Ritcher. You need to keep your mouth shut. Jared Snyder is a good person.. Everyone needs to wait till the facts are out there. This is some parent that kid probably didn’t cut it and are retaliating with bogus accusation against Jared…

19. SCTV this is an allegation. You guys should change this heading!!!

20. Denise Ballard says:

I agree with Gavin. You need to make sure you know all the facts before convicting the coach. It’s a shame that people use every forum they can to trash a good persons name. Just be respectful of the fact that this is merely just someone’s accusations. That does not always translate to the truth!

21. Chad Allen Michaud, what’s wrong with the headline?

22. brandon bradsher says:

I’m not surprised. I played ball at VHS and our fees etc were outrageous compared to all the other teams in the league. But Snyder always managed to have nice car, rims, glasses, clothes,etc. Now it all makes sense. Even a trusted teacher/coach with A family and everything still does bad deeds. He always talked about how ACTIONS speak louder than words…

• Julie says:

Sorry folks….. You know nothing about this coach. As far as why he drives a nice car etc…… He may have a wife who works as well!!!

23. brandon bradsher says:

Hope all facts are uncovered and they get to the bottom of it. If hes innocent then great! If not…then it’s a shame. The VHS program is a great program and one of the best in the state.

24. Setec Astronomy says:

Why is Valencia baseball the most expensive HS program to play for, easily within SCV? Why does it cost north of $3,000 to play baseball there when other HS programs cost right around the $1,000 mark? I think Casey’s comments of 90% of the money is pocketed is a little wreck-less and exaggerated. But that difference in costs between HS programs, which has been going up and up can’t always be explained as field maintenance…

25. Chad Allen Michaud… while I would never tell you to keep your mouth shut, as I am a respectful and well informed man, I suggest you at least know the facts of what you are speaking about before forming an opinion on a manipulative theif such as Jared Snyder. Furthermore, if you desire any sort of credibility for your bogus comments, I would recommend at least using proper grammar when making comments online. You are of course entitled to your opinion, but it is clearly one based on ignorance and misinformation. I feel so sorry for people such as yourself who clearly struggle seeing the true character of evil men.

26. Setec Astronomy says:

He’s also a hypocrite….like most coaches, he doesn’t want any parent to interfere with his program, fair enough, but when his own kid is involved and is not playing as much as Jared thinks he should, he goes into the dugout and drops more F-bombs in front of a bunch of 9-10yr olds, and threatens one the coaches. He is not a role model, he is a bully and a tyrant plain and simple, and has no business being around any of our kids in Santa Clarita. There are more parents directly involved in the program speaking out on the Signal’s article. Too many secrets for too long.

• Matt Espinoza says:

As someone who has been living out here for a few months, this whole thing is very amusing. I had heard little bits and pieces from people around baseball about this guy and his crew and level of control, frankly I thought these stories were a joke. However, having seen the outpouring of comments reinforcing such allegations, and the explosion of comments and subsequent removal of all comments regarding this story by the SCV paper (which I’ve also heard has stood by the guy posing as a coach and teacher….hm) n think the community needs to see this through (there is an open house coming up at the school and a Valencia Town Hall meeting

• Matt Espinoza says:

Coming up…. I’d wanna see accounting records of where my money went(at this point I will ad that I have no kids or affiliation with any school) The greater issue here is that these hacks have been allowed to be part of raising your children…. From the principle down…. even some of the district should be held accountable. I would also suggest a blog or place people can submit affidavits or they’re experiences with this program. Now is your chance to reform the valleys HS athletics….. P.S. the CBS piece was perfect fluff compared to magnitude of this “surprise” leave of absence.

27. Matt Espinoza says:

Oh yeah, my keyboard has been acting up, so please forgive my spelling and grammatical errors. I think you get the drift….. if everyone involved comes forward it will be too much dirt to sweep under the rug this time. While many of you forget this, it’s about raising adults not winning games! An adult will win they’re fair share of games…. well beyond High School or AA…..

28. Matt Espinoza says:

Why is the rest of my comment awaiting moderation? I didn’t tell anyone to shut up……..

29. tom says:

Everybody knew this was going on when I played there. Even his coaches said it. Snyder doesn’t even teach his own classes he sits there and chews tobacco in class and has his student teachers teach for him. Add to that the way he treats kids, he’s the worst human being I’ve ever met.

30. R.I.P says:

I coached in the VHS program for a ccouple of years, and I will say that my experience with the kids, the parents, and most of the coaches was great, and I still keep in touch with many of the kids that I had the pleasure of coaching who have since graduated and are playing college ball, and the blessing of that is that they still thank me for coaching them. these boys are smartand they knew I did it for them, not the money, because the stipen i recieved was chicken scratch and it barely paid for my gas. Snyder on the other hand was not the most pleasant experience. We bumped head cause he would try to tell me who to play and who not to cause he had his select few that he favored, but I played all of my boys because they worked hard each and every practice. He also had the gall to tell me not to talk to parents from the opposing team who I was freinds with because it looked bad. I saw more “wrong” than I did right when it came to the money issue. He made the boys do fundraisers that were outrageous, and if they didn’t meet the quota, he would pinch the parents for the money. I was saying the whole time that he was ripping people off, but the parents were afrid to stand up in fear that their kid wouldn’t get to play. He was a bully, pure and simple. For those of you who say go easy on him, I say kharma is a wicked mother, and it is biting him in the boo boo now. assistant principal Hyatt a personally asked me to stay and coach, but I declined because I couldn’t have my name tainted with his. Turns out that I made a smart move. Please don’t blame the other coaches for his actions, well most of them anyways. I’m sure you all know who else was ripping people off (Hitology?) Just sayin!!!!! Maybe there will be big price slashing in the days ahead.

31. TJ Garcia says:

This is great! To all the kids that couldn’t make the “quota”and had their chances of scholarships ruined. To all the kids that were bullied by this horrible person. To all the parents that have had their money stolen and put into the pockets of this pig. JUSTICE will be served.

WATCH NOW
LOCAL SPORTS HEADLINES
Thursday, Jun 20, 2024
Katherine Dyer has signed her national letter of intent to continue her swimming career at The Master's University.
Thursday, Jun 20, 2024
California State University, Northridge's Trey Knight, Chase Mars and David Phillips, Jr. will compete at the 2024 United States Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore. beginning June 27.
Monday, Jun 17, 2024
Manny Herrera has signed his National Letter of Intent to continue his baseball career at The Master's University.
Monday, Jun 17, 2024
Runners of all ages are invited to support the College of the Canyons cross country and track & field programs by participating in the 49th Annual Cross Country Summer Series sponsored by Fleet Feet on Thursday evenings from July 11 to Aug. 15, 2024.
Thursday, Jun 13, 2024
Dave Caldwell, the play-by-play voice of The Master's University athletic department for more than a decade and the school's sports information director for the last two, earned a significant distinction this month.

Ernie Hickson
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) reports that the fast moving Post Fire that broke out in Gorman on Saturday, June 15 around 1:47 p.m. has reached 15,690 acres and is now 24% contained. This latest CAL FIRE update was issued at 7 a.m. on Thursday.
Post Fire 47 Percent Contained, Reported 15,690 Acres
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session Thursday, June 27, at 6 p.m., in the Carl Boyer Room at City Hall.
June 27: Arts Commission Study Session
Katherine Dyer Commits to TMU Swim Program
Every summer, Santa Clarita’s very own Central Park, located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road, transforms into a premiere venue for live musical performances where friends, families and neighbors come together to sing and dance the night away.
Jason Gibbs | Get Ready for Concerts in the Park Summer Soundtrack
Several Matadors Qualify for 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat advisory for the Santa Clarita Valley Saturday, June 22  through Sunday, June 23 until 8 p.m., as high temperatures have been forecast.
Heat Advisory Issued for SCV
The Los Angeles County Development Authority was recently presented with two awards from the National Association of Counties.
LACDA’s Lead, Childcare Programs Receive National Recognition
The city of Santa Clarita is now accepting names for the Youth Grove in Central Park, which is located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road. This project honors Santa Clarita youth, aged 24 years and younger, who have tragically lost their lives in traffic-related incidents.
City Now Accepting Youth Grove Submissions
One of my favorite parts about our community is the ability to walk, bike or ride along our trails and paseos.
Ken Striplin | Enhancing Trail System Accessibility, Recreation
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health cautions residents who are planning to visit the following Los Angeles County beaches to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in ocean waters due to bacterial levels exceeding health standards when last tested.
High Bacterial Levels Continue at L.A. County Beaches
2002 - "Legacy: Santa Clarita's Living History" series debuts on SCVTV with "Placerita Gold" episode [watch]
Legacy
This weeks Edition of Pilar's Pocketbook focuses on ways to help reduce fees and pay for piling parking tickets.
Pilar Schiavo | Reduce Parking Ticket Fees
Kick off summer right with a Tiki Party Beer Fest over at Lucky Luke Santa Clarita on Friday, June 21.
June 21: Kick off the Summer with Lucky Luke’s Tiki Party Beer Fest
Bring the family and enjoy a day at Valencia Town Center on Saturday, June 22 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with an exciting lineup of cars, coffee and cuisine.
June 22: Cars, Coffee, Cuisine, Crafts at Valencia Town Center
See how the Advanced Technology Center is helping train the next class of skilled technicians with a tour of the facility.
June 25: Take a Tour of COC’s Advanced Technology Center
Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department are asking for the public’s help locating At Risk Missing Person Justin Matthew Lederer.
LASD is Asking for the Public’s Help Locating Missing Person Justin Matthew Lederer
The L.A. Library Summer Discovery Program is on a roll. For those that haven't signed up for the celebration of reading and exploration for all ages yet, join online, or head to the local library to grab a game card and activity idea list.
L.A. County Library Summer Discovery Program Already on a Roll
WalletHub compared more than 180 of the largest cities in the U.S. based on the latest data on consumers’ finances from TransUnion and the Federal Reserve, adjusted for inflation. Below, you can find a handful of highlights from the report.
WalletHub: Santa Clarita Ranks First among the Cities with the Highest Credit Card Debts
1960 - SCV switches to Direct Dial, All-Number Calling [story]
map
The ARTree Community Arts Center will host a Botanical Drawing Workshop 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 1 at the center's Studio 2, 22508 6th St., Santa Clarita, CA 91321.
Aug 1: ARTree Botanical Drawing Workshop
Create a superhero identity at the ARTree Summer Superhero Art Camp from July 22- July 26 at ARTree Community Arts Center, ARTree Studio 1 22508 6th St., Santa Clarita, CA 91321.
ARTree Summer Superhero Art Camp
Join the city of Santa Clarita for a special ribbon-cutting ceremony, marking the grand opening of Needham Ranch Parkway on Monday, June 24, at 9:30 a.m.
June 24: Needham Ranch Parkway Grand Opening