Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy

July 17
1834 - Sinforosa, daughter of Narciso and Crisanta, born at Mission San Fernando; mom from Tejon, dad from Piru; believed to be last speaker of Tataviam language (died 1915) [record]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Dec 28, 2013

JenniferFischerI am not really big on resolutions. I prefer to reflect and set intentions for each new year. Typically I do this by selecting a “focus word” for the year.

For 2013, the word was “abundance,” but perhaps not in the way you might think. Not focused on the abundance of stuff, but rather a focus on appreciating the fullness of life.

In a dictionary I recently consulted, the second definition stood out: “overflowing fullness.” For me, that means a home filled with laughter or a kitchen overflowing with the smells of a delicious, home-cooked meal.

At the beginning of 2013, I noted another example of abundance: the fullness of sharing not only my life with my husband, but also sharing our professional goals as we struggle together as independent filmmakers and arts educators.

In short, the point was to recognize the abundance in my life just as it is, not how wonderful life would be “if only.” I have to thank Shawn of The Abundant Mama Project for helping me shift my focus so I could recognize the abundance of my life — as is.

For 2014, the word I’ve chosen is “compassion.” This choice grew out of keen observation of the world around me, not only right in my own community, but also in the much wider world.

There were certainly moments this past year when violence, destruction, misunderstandings and hate loomed large, or moments when I’ve viewed, at the supermarket perhaps, extreme anger over something quite minor.

In these moments and observations, I note the need for greater compassion in the world and realize that focusing on fostering compassion in myself and with my family is a good place to start.

As I shared recently on my blog, I decided long ago that when I didn’t have an “answer” or “solution” to a challenge or a “fix” for someone in need, I would always just try to give more love to the world. In short, I would try to respond with compassion.

The value of that, and the need for greater compassion in the world, feels necessary. So I am looking forward to this new year and to exploring, truly and deeply, what it means to foster compassion.

Do you make resolutions or set intentions for the new year? If so, and you feel like sharing, pop over to The Good Long Road on Facebook and let me know. I’d love to hear it.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

1. why is your posting format so confusing? I keep thinking this is spam

2. Fatty mole under her nose

3. It’s interesting that a piece promoting the need and value of compassion in the world receives such harsh criticisms. For a more heartfelt look at my selection of the word compassion and the inspiration for it, I’m sharing another piece: http://jennifischer.blogspot.com/2013/12/compassion-my-word-for-2014.html — I am hoping for a kinder and more thoughtful world in the new year. I see the importance of starting where you are with those that “surround” you, even if virtually. I wish you all a happy new year.

4. Kiri says:

Thanks Jennifer, I struggle with pinning resolutions down to anything too specific, but I like the word idea and your choice of word too. The world can always do with more compassion and while it is always tempting to leap to judgement, having that word as a reminder just gives you a little pause to think about a response in difficult situations.

5. Sheila says:

I typically set a new family theme, something for us all to work on, around this time of year. I believe greater compassion in our homes and in our communities is needed. Deciding to respond to anger with compassion rather than rage, respond to fear with compassion rather than mocking another, and respond to ignorance with compassion rather than hate would have a tremendous impact on our lives. You’ve inspired a train of thought for me. Thank you! Your pieces are always insightful.

6. stacy says:

Excellent choice Jen, we could all benefit from a world filled with more compassion and wouldn’t be nice if we could practice a bit more of it online as well? I’m not sure what our word will be just yet this year … will have to think on that for a bit.

7. Chelsea says:

Love this article, and I agree compassion is so needed in our world on ALL levels. Considering the feelings and needs of others before we do, say, write, or even think anything. Imagine if we all did that.

8. Becky says:

I love this. Thank you so much for sharing- empathy and compassion are the most important lessons we can teach our kids and students!

9. Barbara says:

My one little word for 2013 was gratitude. Not just like remembering to say thank you, but to find something to be grateful for in all things, even challenging, difficult, hard things. Ten days into that resolution, I was hit head-on by an alcohol-impaired driver and I really had to work to mine gratitude while lying broken on a bridge waiting for an ambulance and a wrecker. But my focus word, gratitude, got me through some dark and trying times this year. So thank you, Jennifer, for these words of wisdom and reflection. I love what Chelsea said, too … imagine if we all did what you suggested … picked a focus word and worked at getting better! I’ve picked JOY for my 2014 word.

Write on!

10. Kim says:

Compassion would be the world I would to describe you Jen so it will be fun to see how you implement it even more in your life in 2014. You are a role model for serving others. We’re deciding as a family for our word of the year this week and painting a picture of it for our wall. Blessings, Simplify, Motivate, Kindness, Connect, Joy are all in the running.

11. Carly says:

What a beautiful post — I love the idea of focusing on a word for the year Thanks for inspiring me!

12. Theresa says:

I love that you pick a word to focus on for the year. Abundance and compassion are both wonderful and inspirational choices. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Jul 2, 2018
In her July message, Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste wishes residents a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July, and recaps a bit of local history.
Sunday, Jul 1, 2018
The Mojave rattlesnake or “Mojave green” is a highly irritable and unpredictable pit viper. By comparison, the Pacific rattlesnake you might be accustomed to is fairly tame.
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
Your rights guarantee that you get the health services the law says you can get, protect you against unethical practices, and ensure the privacy of your personal and medical information. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at all times, and to be protected from discrimination.
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
California voters just bought the feel-good tax proposition that was stated to raise yet another $4 billion for “clean water” funds. Days later, Brown declared it isn’t enough. There will be another ballot measure in November to raise another $8 billion.
Friday, Jun 8, 2018
Our state leaders are finally working together to address one of the greatest inequities in higher education – funding for California community colleges that serve high need students.
Wednesday, Jun 6, 2018
Not every decision on the table must be made within the next week. When it comes to deciding how to fund community colleges, it would be wise to hit pause and devote more careful consideration to the discussion.

The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce is holding a Business After Hours Mixer at Valencia Acura, Wednesday, July 18, at 5:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Mixer
Supervisor Kathryn Barger cast the lone vote opposing a motion to place a measure on the November ballot which seeks to increase property taxes on residential and commercial properties to generate approximately $300 million a year to fund additional stormwater projects.
Barger Lone Vote on Proposed Stormwater Tax
The Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move forward with a comprehensive plan to increase local water supply and improve water quality.
Supes Move Forward with Efforts to Improve Local Water Supply, Quality
The county of Los Angeles and community partners are working hand-in-hand to combat homelessness, which has decreased for the first time in four years.
County Combines New, Existing Programs to Combat Homelessness
Officials at the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner-Coroner have identified the body of a man who was found in a Canyon Country field Monday night.
Man Found Dead in Canyon Country
Single Mother's Outreach is currently accepting honoree nominations and artist applications through July 30.
Single Mother’s Outreach Accepting Nominees, Artist Applications
The Stay Green Inc. team has been rewarded for its excellence with eight awards — including four prestigious first-place honors — in the 59th Annual Landscape Beautification Awards presented by the San Fernando Valley Chapter of the California Landscape Contractors Association (CLCA).
Stay Green Earns Four First-Place Landscape Honors
Here is the list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for July 18-20:
July 18-20: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
The city of Santa Clarita saw an increase in on-location filming in Fiscal Year 2017-2018 (July 2017 to June 2018), with the Film Office recording 560 film permits and 1377 film days, which generated an estimated $33.1 million in economic impact to the local community.
Santa Clarita Sees Increase in On-Location Filming for 5th Straight Year
Six Santa Clarita Artists Association members were accepted in the impressive La Galeria Gitana exhibit, "Around the World in 80 Paintings."
Aug. 11: Artists Association Presents, ‘Around the World in 80 Paintings’
LOS ANGELES – A former staffer for a member of the United States Congress was sentenced today to 18 months in prison for bribery and attempted extortion after demanding and accepting $5,000 to prevent the closure of a marijuana shop in the city of Compton.
Santa Clarita Man Gets 18 Months in Prison for Bribery, Attempted Extortion
Berry Petroleum Corp., owner of the Placerita oil field west of Sierra Highway between Placerita Canyon Road and Golden Valley Road in Santa Clarita - and many other oil properties in the San Joaquin Valley - announced Monday that it has launched an initial public offering of its common stock.
Placerita Oil Field Owner Going Public Again
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting health care professionals and patients of a voluntary recall of several drug products containing the active ingredient Valsartan, used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure.
Blood Pressure Medicine Valsartan Recalled for Cancer-Causing Impurity
The next regular meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is Wednesday, July 18 at the Administrative Center, 21380 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita 91350.
July 18: Hart District Governing Board Regular Meeting
The Canyon Country Advisory Committee, a division of the Santa Clarita City Council, will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, July 18, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
July 18: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
Since April, TMU grad Zach Klindworth has worked and trained with a soccer team in Iceland, 4,000 miles from Santa Clarita, the only city he'd ever known.
TMU Soccer Alum Zach Klindworth Takes Talents to Iceland
The Lancaster JetHawks scored a run in the seventh inning to take the lead and hung on to beat Lake Elsinore, 3-2, Sunday evening at The Hangar.
JetHawks Hang on for Sunday Win Over Storm
Lake Elsinore proved too much for the JetHawks Saturday night, handing Lancaster an 11-4 loss at The Hangar.
Lancaster JetHawks Overcome by Storm Saturday
The Lancaster JetHawks opened up a four-game series with a 6-2 win over the Lake Elsinore Storm in front of 4,348 at The Hangar Friday night to kick off Star Wars Weekend.
The Force With JetHawks in Friday Win Over Storm
Saxtravaganza, Santa Clarita's all-saxophone chamber ensemble, will play a free concert at Hart Hall (inside Hart Park) on Thursday, July 19, starting at 7 p.m.
July 19: Saxtravaganza Chamber Ensemble Returns to Hart Hall
Members of the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley will participate in the semi-annual Pinewood Derby at the Newhall Clubhouse on Wednesday, July 18 starting at 4:30 p.m.
July 18: SCV Boys & Girls Club Pinewood Derby
The city of Santa Clarita's Community Preservation Division sent a notice of violation Monday to the owners of the Canyon View Mobile Home Estates property in Canyon Country, ordering the removal of multiple solar panels installed on the hillside just north of the park.
Canyon Country Mobile Home Park Cited for Hillside Solar Panels
Ingrid Moon, a sixth-grade science facilitator at tuition-free public charter school iLEAD Encino, and Kimberli Lengning, a facilitator at iLEAD Lancaster, have been named Distinguished STEM Educators by Columbia University.
iLEAD Science Facilitators Named Distinguished STEM Educators
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley the week of July 16-22, 2018.
‘Mayans,’ ‘Santa Clarita Diet,’ Spots, Student Films Now Shooting in SCV
The Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District confirmed West Nile virus in a sample of mosquitoes collected from Panorama City (zip code 91402), the first confirmation of WNV activity in the district’s service area this year.
First West Nile Positive Mosquitoes Found – Panorama City
Air quality is very unhealthy for all residents of the Santa Clarita Valley Monday, according to an alert from the South Coast Air Quality Management District.
AQMD: Air Quality Very Unhealthy Monday for SCV Residents
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man with an outstanding warrant who was allegedly also in possession of drugs in Stevenson Ranch early Saturday morning.
Golden Valley High School grad U.S. Air Force Airman Victoria A. Arguello has graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Santa Clarita USAF Airman Victoria Arguello Completes Basic Training
1925 - Actor Harry Carey files patent on the original 160-acre Saugus homestead he'd purchased in 1916 (now Tesoro Del Valle) [story]
1891 - R.E. Nickel publishes area's first newspaper, The Acton Rooster [story]
Stay out of the water at Pyramid Lake in Los Angeles County until further notice and avoid eating fish from the lake due to the presence of blue-green algae.
Algae in Pyramid Lake at ‘Danger’ Level – Keep Out
1769 - Portolá party sets out from San Diego; first Europeans to "discover" Santa Clarita Valley 3½ weeks later [story]
The CTG Stars teenage summer workshop production of "Shrek: The Musical, Jr." takes the stage at the Canyon Theatre Guild in Old Town Newhall for two final performances on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
July 14-15: CTG Stars Teen Workshop Stages ‘Shrek: The Musical Jr.’
The William S. Hart Museum will host an open house and summer fun event for kids on Thursday, July 19 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
July 19: Open House, Summer Fun Event for Kids at Hart Museum
College of the Canyons will accept an additional 500 students to its First-Year Promise program for the fall 2018 semester, an expansion made possible by funding from a new state program called California College Promise.
COC to Accept 500 More First-Year Promise Students