March 22
1875 - Construction begins on San Fernando Railroad Tunnel [story]

The Good Long Road | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer
| Saturday, Dec 28, 2013

JenniferFischerI am not really big on resolutions. I prefer to reflect and set intentions for each new year. Typically I do this by selecting a “focus word” for the year.

For 2013, the word was “abundance,” but perhaps not in the way you might think. Not focused on the abundance of stuff, but rather a focus on appreciating the fullness of life.

In a dictionary I recently consulted, the second definition stood out: “overflowing fullness.” For me, that means a home filled with laughter or a kitchen overflowing with the smells of a delicious, home-cooked meal.

At the beginning of 2013, I noted another example of abundance: the fullness of sharing not only my life with my husband, but also sharing our professional goals as we struggle together as independent filmmakers and arts educators.

In short, the point was to recognize the abundance in my life just as it is, not how wonderful life would be “if only.” I have to thank Shawn of The Abundant Mama Project for helping me shift my focus so I could recognize the abundance of my life — as is.

For 2014, the word I’ve chosen is “compassion.” This choice grew out of keen observation of the world around me, not only right in my own community, but also in the much wider world.

There were certainly moments this past year when violence, destruction, misunderstandings and hate loomed large, or moments when I’ve viewed, at the supermarket perhaps, extreme anger over something quite minor.

In these moments and observations, I note the need for greater compassion in the world and realize that focusing on fostering compassion in myself and with my family is a good place to start.

As I shared recently on my blog, I decided long ago that when I didn’t have an “answer” or “solution” to a challenge or a “fix” for someone in need, I would always just try to give more love to the world. In short, I would try to respond with compassion.

The value of that, and the need for greater compassion in the world, feels necessary. So I am looking forward to this new year and to exploring, truly and deeply, what it means to foster compassion.

Do you make resolutions or set intentions for the new year? If so, and you feel like sharing, pop over to The Good Long Road on Facebook and let me know. I’d love to hear it.

Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.

1. why is your posting format so confusing? I keep thinking this is spam

2. Fatty mole under her nose

3. It’s interesting that a piece promoting the need and value of compassion in the world receives such harsh criticisms. For a more heartfelt look at my selection of the word compassion and the inspiration for it, I’m sharing another piece: http://jennifischer.blogspot.com/2013/12/compassion-my-word-for-2014.html — I am hoping for a kinder and more thoughtful world in the new year. I see the importance of starting where you are with those that “surround” you, even if virtually. I wish you all a happy new year.

4. Kiri says:

Thanks Jennifer, I struggle with pinning resolutions down to anything too specific, but I like the word idea and your choice of word too. The world can always do with more compassion and while it is always tempting to leap to judgement, having that word as a reminder just gives you a little pause to think about a response in difficult situations.

5. Sheila says:

I typically set a new family theme, something for us all to work on, around this time of year. I believe greater compassion in our homes and in our communities is needed. Deciding to respond to anger with compassion rather than rage, respond to fear with compassion rather than mocking another, and respond to ignorance with compassion rather than hate would have a tremendous impact on our lives. You’ve inspired a train of thought for me. Thank you! Your pieces are always insightful.

6. stacy says:

Excellent choice Jen, we could all benefit from a world filled with more compassion and wouldn’t be nice if we could practice a bit more of it online as well? I’m not sure what our word will be just yet this year … will have to think on that for a bit.

7. Chelsea says:

Love this article, and I agree compassion is so needed in our world on ALL levels. Considering the feelings and needs of others before we do, say, write, or even think anything. Imagine if we all did that.

8. Becky says:

I love this. Thank you so much for sharing- empathy and compassion are the most important lessons we can teach our kids and students!

9. Barbara says:

My one little word for 2013 was gratitude. Not just like remembering to say thank you, but to find something to be grateful for in all things, even challenging, difficult, hard things. Ten days into that resolution, I was hit head-on by an alcohol-impaired driver and I really had to work to mine gratitude while lying broken on a bridge waiting for an ambulance and a wrecker. But my focus word, gratitude, got me through some dark and trying times this year. So thank you, Jennifer, for these words of wisdom and reflection. I love what Chelsea said, too … imagine if we all did what you suggested … picked a focus word and worked at getting better! I’ve picked JOY for my 2014 word.

Write on!

10. Kim says:

Compassion would be the world I would to describe you Jen so it will be fun to see how you implement it even more in your life in 2014. You are a role model for serving others. We’re deciding as a family for our word of the year this week and painting a picture of it for our wall. Blessings, Simplify, Motivate, Kindness, Connect, Joy are all in the running.

11. Carly says:

What a beautiful post — I love the idea of focusing on a word for the year Thanks for inspiring me!

12. Theresa says:

I love that you pick a word to focus on for the year. Abundance and compassion are both wonderful and inspirational choices. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
Friday, Mar 16, 2018
Quentin Kopp, retired judge and Bay Area politician, was once chairman of the High-Speed Rail Authority and helped sell the bullet train to voters. He’s now suing to stop it, saying, "The litigation, which is pending, will result, I am confident, in the termination of the High-Speed Rail Authority's deceiving plan."
Thursday, Mar 8, 2018
A wildfire stripped the banks of Placerita Creek of its thick, lush blanket of green – exposing thousands of shoots of the evil tamarisk.
Friday, Mar 2, 2018
In her March 2018 message, Mayor Laurene Weste outlines why Santa Clarita is a tech-savvy "smart city" and previews coming upgrades in street lighting, recycling stations and the local fiber-optic network.
Thursday, Feb 15, 2018
There was broad public support for the Desert Renewable Energy Conservation Plan, which struck a careful balance between lands available for large-scale renewable energy development and the environment. Now the federal government is rethinking it - putting the important and much-needed protections at risk.
Tuesday, Feb 13, 2018
You can prevent vision loss by finding and treating problems early. Medicare covers a glaucoma test once every 12 months for people at high risk for glaucoma
Wednesday, Feb 7, 2018
Sierra Club Angeles Chapter SCV Group Chair Sandra Cattell urges Santa Clarita Valley residents to contact their congressional representatives to push legislation to kill the Cemex mining project in Soledad Canyon.

After a lengthy, valleywide search, the Newhall Family Theatre for the Performing Arts is proud to announce its inaugural Board of Directors.
Newhall Family Theatre Announces Inaugural Board of Directors
Acting on a motion by Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board voted unanimously to consider building on the success of a pilot program that deployed two outreach teams along the Red Line to help homeless individuals aboard buses and trains, and in and around transit stations, obtain housing and other services.
Homeless Outreach Pilot Program Demonstrating its Worth
The Parkinson’s Foundation (PF) will host its annual Moving Day North LA, A Walk for Parkinson’s on April 28 during National Parkinson’s Disease (PD) Awareness Month.
April 28: Moving Day North LA Walk for Parkinson’s
There are still a few days left to purchase tickets and be eligible to win a brand new car, a 2018 Chevy Cruze, MSRP $22,385.
March 26: Deadline to Purchase WiSH Foundation’s Win a Car Tickets
Mandatory evacuations of the 8300 block to the 9000 block of La Tuna Canyon remain in effect. The following picture, taken one mile north of the 8300 block of La Tuna Canyon, is within the area that has been evacuated. No structures were damaged due to the erosion of this hillside.
Storm Causes Hillside Erosion in La Tuna Canyon Burn Area
When Master's coach Jason Semelsberger explained that his team finished in 11th place on Tuesday in large part because of a loaded field, it wasn't a throwaway line meant to make the Mustangs feel better or to pacify their fans. It was the truth.
Mustangs Hang Tough in Competitive Field
SACRAMENTO - Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley on Wednesday introduced a senate resolution - Senate Resolution 96 - calling on the federal government to stop, once and for all, the proposed CEMEX, inc. mega-mine near Santa Clarita and bring an end to a decades old battle between residents and the multinational conglomerate.
Wilk Resolution Calls on Feds to End Cemex Mega-Mine
Chandra Subramaniam spent his first week as the new dean of California State University, Northridge’s David Nazarian College of Business and Economics in meeting after meeting, learning about the job and the people he’ll be working with.
CSUN Names New Dean of Nazarian Business College
The North Los Angeles County Transportation Coalition is hosting a workshop with representatives from the city of Lancaster, city of Palmdale, city of Santa Clarita, and the County of Los Angeles, to showcase the improvement projects to come as a result of the transportation funding provided by Measure M.
April 2: Measure M Community Outreach Meeting
Working through a series of challenging circumstances including fires, weather and mudslides that struck the region, Lundgren Management successfully completed the Santa Barbara City College West Campus Center Project in time for classes to begin on Jan. 22.
Valencia-Based Construction Firm Completes Santa Barbara City College Project
SACRAMENTO - Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, introduced Senate Joint Resolution 19 (SJR 19) today calling on Congress to uphold its end of the bargain and fully fund the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), a program focusing on disabled students. The measure passed the Senate 37-0 and is headed to the State Assembly for consideration.
Wilk’s Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Heads to State Assembly
With the upcoming retirement of Cynthia Seamands, principal of Live Oak Elementary, there will be some administrative changes for the 2018-19 school year. Effective July 1, 2018, Stephanie Beach, principal of Castaic Elementary School, will assume the duties of principal of Live Oak Elementary School.
Live Oak Elementary Appoints New Principal
Due to updated weather conditions and a projected decrease in the amount of rainfall expected, the mandatory evacuations for Kagel Canyon, Lopez Canyon, and Little Tujunga, which were to be in effect at 6:00 p.m. Wednesday evening, were cancelled.
Mandatory, Voluntary Evacuations Remain in Effect for La Tuna Canyon Burn Areas
1875 - Construction begins on San Fernando Railroad Tunnel [story]
A flash flood watch will be in effect from 11 p.m. Wednesday through Friday, 5 a.m. due to heavy rain expected over the next couple of days, according to the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station.
Flash Flood Watch in Effect Wednesday PM to Friday AM
Radio station 88.5 FM/Los Angeles, Southern California’s leading Triple-A (adult album alternative) format station and headquartered at California State University, Northridge, is adding Andy Chanley to its afternoon drive spot.
88.5 FM/Los Angeles Adds Andy Chanley to PM Drive
The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control encourages all pet owners to make their homes pet-safe during National Poison Prevention Week, now through Saturday, March 24.
March 18-24: National Pet Poison Prevention Week
The family-friendly Gilchrist Farm in Bouquet Canyon will host its annual egg hunt and Spring Fling on Saturday, March 31.
March 31: Egg Hunt, Spring Fling at Gilchrist Farm
Weather permitting, CSUN beach volleyball is scheduled to host a pair of tri-duals this week as the Matadors host Cal State LA and No. 19 Washington on Wednesday followed by No. 15 Loyola Marymount and top-ranked Pepperdine on Thursday.
Matadors Face Trio of Ranked Teams in Beach Volleyball Tri-Duals
CSUN's softball team will host the Matador Classic this weekend with Cal Poly, Pacific, Santa Clara and Georgia Tech all visiting the Matador Diamond in Northridge.
March 23-25: CSUN Softball Team to Host Matador Classic
Fale Avin's two-out RBI single in the top of the 11th sent No. 5 Oklahoma past the CSUN softball team 2-1 Monday afternoon.
No. 5 Oklahoma Edges CSUN Softball Team 2-1 in 11 Innings
No. 4/5 Notre Dame shot 54.8 percent (40-of-73) from the field as the Fighting Irish defeated CSUN 99-81 in the first round of the NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Tournament Friday night.
No. 4/5 Notre Dame Defeats CSUN 99-81
CSUN senior Arvis Greene picked up his second consecutive Big West Player of the Week award in men's volleyball Monday after leading the then-No. 10 Matadors to a pair of upset wins over No. 3 Hawai'i last week.
CSUN’s Arvis Greene Repeats as Big West Player of the Week
Mental and physical agility, resourcefulness and a never-say-die spirit are just a few of the survival traits needed for participants to succeed in the inaugural Bear Grylls Survival Challenge April 28 and 29 at the Blue Cloud Movie Ranch.
April 28-29: First Bear Grylls Survival Challenge at Blue Cloud Movie Ranch
Kameron Quitno safely slid across the plate for the first home run of his collegiate career, sparking the TMU Mustangs to a 13-4 win over visiting Bethesda University on Tuesday at Lou Herwaldt Stadium.
Mustang Baseball Rides Home Runs to Non-Conference Win
Walmart recently expanded its test of new AI shelf-scanning technology to four stores in Southern California, including the store on Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia.
Walmart Launches AI Shelf-Scanning Technology at SCV Store
James Allen Hayes, 55, nicknamed by law enforcement authorities as the "Seasoned Bandit" because of his age, has formally pleaded guilty to robbing four banks in 2017, including two in the Santa Clarita Valley.
‘Seasoned Bandit’ Cops to String of Bank Heists
The Senate Education Committee gave a thumbs-up to Senate Bill 1009 (SB 1009), a measure to expand access to community college tutoring, according to California Senator Scott Wilk (R-Antelope Valley), who introduced the bill.
Wilk Community College Tutoring Bill Clears First Hurdle
Los Angeles County Fire Department firefighters doused a house fire in the 24700 block of Chestnut Street in Newhall Wednesday morning.
Firefighters Douse House Blaze in Newhall
To celebrate California’s Water Awareness month, SCV Water will hold its annual Open House on Saturday, May 12 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Central Park and at its conservation garden and patio located above the park.
May 12: SCV Water Open House; Vendors Sought
The city of Santa Clarita is urging residents and businesses, specifically those living near the recent burn areas of Sand Fire in the Sand Canyon area, to take extra precautions and stay alert as heavy rains fall this week.
City Urges Residents to Take Precautions During Storm
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies out to lunch at a local fast-food restaurant recognized and arrested a 29-year-old man with two outstanding warrants Tuesday, according to officials.
SCV Deputies Arrest Fast-Food Diner on 2 Warrants, Drug Possession
March hasn’t brought a miracle to California, but it has improved the state’s water picture enough to at least delay any drought declarations.
Prospect of California Drought Persists Despite Recent Rain
1837 - Ysabel Varela born in Placerville; became second wife (and widow) of SCV landowner Ygnacio del Valle. [story]
The William S. Hart High School Wind Ensemble & Concert Band, as well as the Placerita Junior High School Advanced Band will be holding a Rich Musical Heritage Concert, Thursday, March 22 at 7:00 p.m.
March 22: Rich Musical Heritage Concert
If you think you have the right stuff, Blue Star Ranch is looking for volunteers.
Blue Star Ranch Seeking Volunteers