Clear
Clear

April 20
1874 - First train out of L.A. to reach new town of San Fernando; Newhall 2 years later [story]

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Wednesday, Sep 10, 2014

darrylmanzerDarn it. I’ve got to go to the bank tomorrow to deposit all those checks the city of Santa Clarita, Metrolink and All-vision sent me to write what I’ve written about billboards. I’m sure all of us who support the billboard ordinance are headed to the bank to do that. Especially the City Council and city staff members who are making so much money from the deal.

Now let me add up the total of the checks to date. Oh, wow. This is just wonderful. All of us got a grand total of ZERO dollars.

Must I repeat for those 22 readers of mine that I write for free? I love doing it. SCVNews, the city of Santa Clarita, All-vision, the people in Val Verde and various political parties pay me nothing. Zero. Zilch. So, complaining to the City Council about me doesn’t help your cause or hurt mine.

If you want to complain about what I write, tell me in the comments. I do find it hypocritical that a person who has repeatedly said he supports the entire United States Constitution would go and complain to the GOVERNMENT about what I write. Maybe he hopes they will stop me from writing. He does support free speech as long as it is the speech he wants to hear.

Once or twice before I’ve had some complaints about what I’ve written. One time a member of the West Ranch Town Council said I made a threat. He called the publisher of the newspaper and the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, then stole a picture from the SCVHistory.com website to prove I was prone to violence. You can read that story if you dig through all that are posted on DManzer.com.

Last winter, some folks in a small Midwestern town got angry because I wrote a review of the restaurants and nightlife in that town. It wasn’t complimentary. They threatened to run my RV, my little basset hound and me into the local river. Funny, my 22 readers in the Santa Clarita Valley said nothing about that – but all 3,500 residents of that small town had plenty to say. Yes, it was a few more than 22.

Just so the 22 readers of mine know where I stand on certain subjects, let me be perfectly clear:

1. In my opinion, the petition against the billboard ordinance was ill-advised and just plain dumb. The people who support and defend that action have every right to do so. They can say and do what they want. I would agree with them – but then there would be 23 of us wrong.

2. Chiquita Canyon Landfill has done a lot for the SCV and Val Verde. They have given many thousands of dollars to lots of charities and to support scholarships, too. That doesn’t make them a good neighbor when they don’t follow the regulations for dump operations as required by the county, state and federal governments. They would be the best neighbors if they spent the money on proper equipment to operate and monitor the dump rather than buy political votes.

3. The California High Speed Rail Authority is a scam. It wants to run non-stop through our valley and cares not what happens to us all the way from Acton to the end of Sand Canyon Road. Not only that – it is a state project that costs too much and will not be used by those who would like to use it because it will be too expensive. Did I mention that ridership on Metrolink is dropping? If we can’t get people to ride Metrolink, what are we going to have to spend to get them to ride the “bullet”? It is a state project that needs a “bullet” to finish it off.

4. Facebook is a rotten way to run a city. We should seek real information from real people.

5. Mentryville is going to be destroyed unless there are immediate actions to preserve the remaining buildings. How a conservation and environmentally concerned entity can use vast amounts of weed killer to remove brush around buildings is strange, to say the least.

This is good. I’ve got so much to write about now. All I do is read what my 22 readers have to comment about, and I’m assured they’ll have a lot more to read – and comment about. So we’re all kept in some sort of employment – or if not exactly “employment” since no money changes hands, at least we’re kept off the streets.

It wasn’t always this much fun. But as long as I have my 22 readers, my life is nearly perfect. By the way, my head isn’t in the sand or in anybody’s back pocket. When somebody starts paying, I guess I’ll have to do what they say and write what they want.

Until that day comes, I’ll just keep trudging this road one step at a time and one day at a time. Just to mix things up for the 22, I think I’ll come up with 22 subjects, one for each of them. I can repeat those every 22 days.

I doubt they’ll notice.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Debbie K says:

Keep them coming, Darryl! I’ve enjoyed reading your commentaries. You actually have 23 readers. :)

2. Alan Ferdman says:

Darryl. The Canyon Country Advisory Committee has been looking to set up a debate between individuals for and against Measure S. On the Pro side we invited Bob Kellar. He declined our invitation. Would you be willing to stand in on the Pro Side and debate the benefits Measure S and the current billboard deal? I can be contacted at 661 713 9344. Looking forward to hearing from you. Alan Ferdman

3. Lee says:

Funny…seems you are writing for 2 people…you and a certain Realtor who has gotten deeply under your skin.

Fight the good fight, Petz!

4. Greg Kimura says:

Darryl,

I enjoy reading your commentaries and I appreciate your interest in Val Verde and the battles we have with the landfill.

I invite you to attend out Val Verde Civic Association (VVCA) meeting, which will be held on Thursday, Sept 11, 2014 at the Val Verde Park Clubhouse. The first part of the meeting will begin at 6:00pm and start with the VVCA Landfill Committee meeting. At 7:00pm, the regular VVCA meeting will begin.

I hope to see you there.

Thank you.

Greg

5. Linda Pippin says:

I, too, enjoy reading your opinions about what is happening in the SCV. I like to be informed and I think that you do a fine job of that.

6. mike says:

Can the high speed be stopped, if so how?

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Monday, Apr 16, 2018
The best way to fight kidney disease is to find it before trouble starts. But if you’ve already been diagnosed, Medicare can help you make informed decisions about your care.
Thursday, Apr 12, 2018
In 2016, California voters went to the polls and made it clear they wanted elected state officials to spend more money on school construction and passed Proposition 51 to invest $9 billion to upgrade aging buildings, build new schools where needed and build Career Technical Education (CTE) facilities to support better CTE programs.
Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018
Despite voter approval of construction funds in 2016, school districts are struggling to explain to their communities why the state is refusing to release the majority of the money.
Tuesday, Apr 3, 2018
“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you.” — Frank Lloyd Wright
Monday, Apr 2, 2018
Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste and the City Council invite residents to celebrate the 25th Annual Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival, which officially kicks off April 19.
Friday, Mar 16, 2018
Quentin Kopp, retired judge and Bay Area politician, was once chairman of the High-Speed Rail Authority and helped sell the bullet train to voters. He’s now suing to stop it, saying, "The litigation, which is pending, will result, I am confident, in the termination of the High-Speed Rail Authority's deceiving plan."

A 25-year-old woman has been charged with shooting her boyfriend to death in the parking lot of a Canoga Park bar, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.
Newhall Woman Charged with Murder of Boyfriend
The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts will host the legendary rapper Kurtis Walker, aka Kurtis Blow, as part of its visiting artist series, on Monday and Tuesday, April 23 and 24, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. each day.
Rapper Kurtis Blow Is CalArts’ Visiting Artist for Music
The five filmmakers selected for California State University, Northridge’s 28th annual Senior Film Showcase on May 2 are women, and their stories reflect the rich diversity of perspectives that make up America.
May 2: CSUN to Spotlight Hollywood’s Future Filmmakers
The CalArts School of Theater presented the graduating class of the Acting Program in a bi-coastal Actors Showcase at the Colony Theater in Burbank on Monday, April 16.
CalArts Actors Showcase Celebrates Graduating Class
TMU coach Zach Schroeder has said for weeks that this week's track meet in Azusa, California, would be crucial as far as Mustangs advancing to NAIA nationals.
Two Mustangs Qualify for NAIA Track Nationals
Heath Holder delivered four shutout innings in the first start of his professional career, but the JetHawks dropped the series opener to the Inland Empire 66ers, 8-3, on Thursday night at San Manuel Stadium.
Holder Strong in Season Debut, But JetHawks Fall 8-3
Santa Clarita-based Carnival Corporation and plc, the world’s largest leisure travel company, has made several key senior executive appointments and promotions to serve its multiple brands and business units globally.
Carnival Names New Execs for 4 Cruise Lines
The Saugus Union School District has set its 2018 open house schedule to provide opportunities for Saugus parents to visit their children’s classrooms to view the amazing work accomplished this school year.
Saugus School District Slates 2018 Open House Events
SCV Kids Consignment, part of the LA Kids Consignment family of sales, continues its spring sale Saturday and Sunday, April 21-22 in Castaic from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
April 21-22: SCV Kids Consignment Spring Sale in Castaic
The Castaic Union School District Board of Trustees unanimously approved a three-percent raise and a bonus for its educators at last week’s board meeting.
Castaic School Board OKs First Teacher Pay Raise in 12 Years
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, April 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
April 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Good seats are still available but going fast for the Santa Clarita Cowboy Festival's 25th-anniversary gala celebration at Hart Hall on Saturday, April 21 from 8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
April 21: Gala Celebrates Cowboy Festival 25th Anniversary
The Final Environmental Assessment, draft Decision Notice, and Finding of No Significant Impact for the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument Plan are complete, and a 45-day official objection period begins Friday before one of three options is chosen.
Forest Service Asks Public’s Input on San Gabriel Mountains Monument Plan
A Stevenson Ranch resident is missing more than $9,000 in jewelry, and suspects her roommates, Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station Deputy Kevin Duxbury reported in a post on the station's Facebook page
Grand Theft Prompts Victim to Suspect Roommates
Monday, April 23 is the deadline to apply for street pole Hometown Heroes military banners to be displayed by the city of Santa Clarita on Memorial Day, saluting actively serving military members from the Santa Clarita Valley.
April 23: Deadline to Order Hometown Heroes Military Banners
The Hart High School Baseball Program and the Boys & Girls Club of Santa Clarita Valley will again present Hart Baseball Bingo Night at the Newhall club on Saturday, May 12, starting at 5 p.m.
May 12: Bingo Night Fundraiser for Hart Baseball Program
California State University will not increase tuition for the 2018-19 academic year, but will continue to fight for increased funding to meet its current needs, according to Chancellor Timothy P. White.
California State University Decides Not to Increase 2018 Tuition
Wednesday, May 2 is the deadline to apply for one of 23 positions with the Santa Clarita Library.
May 2: Deadline to Apply for 23 Santa Clarita Library Jobs
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN beach volleyball honored its first seniors Thursday, just after the Matadors improved to 15-6 with a 5-0 sweep over Cal State Los Angeles at the CSUN Beach Volleyball Facility.
Matadors Celebrate Senior Day, Sweep of UC Irvine
Parents from Albert Einstein Academy for Letters, Arts, and Sciences were notified Wednesday that Einstein will surrender its charter from the Acton Agua Dulce Unified School District and shutter its campuses.
Einstein Academy to Close Charter Schools
NORTHRIDGE - CSUN Baseball (17-19, 5-4 BWC) resume Big West play this weekend with a three-game series against UC Irvine at Matador Field.
Matadors Resume Big West Play with 3 Game Set Against UC Irvine
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold a teleconference meeting Thursday, April 26, at 10:30 a.m.
April 26: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will be holding its regular meeting Tuesday, April 24, at 6:00 p.m.
April 24: City Council Regular Meeting
Solo Flight Swing is a Southern California-based western swing band that performs hot western-swing, dixie, bop, originals, and covers.
April 20: Solo Flight Swing at The MAIN
The County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) celebrates National Volunteer Appreciation Week starting on April 15 - April 22.
Volunteers of the Year Recognized by County Animal Control
In partnership with the Santa Clarita Valley Senior Center and Alzheimer's Greater Los Angeles, College of the Canyons will be offering the next workshop for family caregivers.
April 28: Family Caregivers Workshop
Once again, the Paseo Aquatics Club entered the pool undermanned and underdogs, and came away with an impressive 15th place finish against 75 other teams, many of which were double and triple in size, at the recent Speedo Short Course Far Western Championships hosted by Santa Clara Swim Club.
Underdogs Paseo Aquatics Club Holds Their Own in Top State Meet
A reckless driver on Railroad Avenue led to a pursuit that landed four suspects in custody on Wednesday.
Newhall Pursuit Ends with Four Suspects in Custody
LANCASTER - Rancho Cucamonga homered five times Wednesday night as Lancaster fell, 11-4, in the series finale at The Hangar. Rancho’s Rylan Bannon became the second California League player this season to hit three home runs in a game.
JetHawks Fall to Quakes in Series Finale
Here is the Stevenson Ranch Crime Information and Public Safety Report for the week of April 9 - 15:
Crime Blotter: Assault, Grand Theft Auto, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
SACRAMENTO - California State Auditor released Thursday an audit requested by Senator Scott Wilk, R - Antelope Valley, last spring concerning homelessness in California and specifically the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority's administration of public funds.
Audit on Homelessness Highlights Need for Improvement, Services
(SACRAMENTO) - Californians who filed tax returns this week must unfortunately wait nearly a week longer until they've collectively earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year.
April 23: California Tax Freedom Day
Here is the Saugus (Zone 4) Public Safety and Crime Information Report for the week of April 9 - 15:
Crime Blotter: Grand Theft Auto, Assault with Deadly Weapon in Saugus
1880 - Pico Oil Spring Mine Section 2 patented by R.F. Baker and Edward F. Beale [story]
'Make Believe: The World of Glen Keane,' celebrating the work of Oscar-winning Disney animator and CalArts alum Glen Keane (Film/Video ’74), opened at the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco March 8 and will be on display through Sept. 3.
Oscar-Winning CalArts Animator Glen Keane Showcased at Disney in SF