Partly sunny
Partly sunny

June 21
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody). [story]

Back to Nature | Commentary by Mari Carbajal
| Thursday, Aug 13, 2015

maricarbajalAs much as I love nature, I never really paid much attention to the little details until I moved to Agua Dulce.

Nature on the high desert seems so much different than any other place I’ve lived before. Maybe it’s just that living in a rural community forces you to pay more attention with its rattlesnakes, poisonous plants and buggy things that sting.

One of my first discoveries was a giant fuzzy ant that my neighbor said was a velvet ant. Who knew such an amazing-looking insect could sting so severely that it earned the nickname, “cow killer?” A member of the Mutillidae family, velvet ants are among the 3,000-plus species of wasp.

velvet antIt was this little insect that got me started on what I will introduce you to today.

I began noticing more and more flora and fauna as time went by. One day I was discussing yellow jackets with a neighbor, and how many there were at the time. He said he had heard an Indian myth that a large number of yellow jackets meant an abundance of rain in the coming winter.

yellow jacketI was intrigued. I decided to write down when and how many I saw. Then I wondered about other things and wrote down all of the things I would see, such as velvet ants, red-tailed hawks, venomous and non-venomous snakes, plants, etc. I kept adding to my list until one day I decided to put the list into a spreadsheet. That’s when things got interesting.

I created a spreadsheet that I titled, “Seasonal Information.” I made a column called (for a lack of imagination) “Category” and then one column for each month of the year. Then I entered all of the things from my list into the Category column.

As the first year went by, I added more and more information including weather factors, what month my horses started to get their winter coats, and when they began losing their coats in preparation for summer. I developed a rather simplistic format for identifying some things, for instance: “Was the month arid or humid? What months, if any, did we have monsoons? Did it rain? Did it snow?” And so on.

After a while, I ran into a problem of trying to chart just how much of something I’d seen. Was there only one ant in my kitchen, or did the entire colony take over my trash can? I decided a scale of 0 to 10 would be the easiest, where “0” meant I didn’t see any ants; “5” meant I saw a good number of ants; and “10” meant “Yikes! I’ve been invaded.”

I track when the yucca begins to bloom, when the ravens begin to nest, when various insects appear – and are there just a few insects or is there a large number of them?

My next dilemma was to identify what part of the month something occurred. For example, if I said it was very windy in May, I wouldn’t know what part of May it was windy; or was it windy all month long? I decided to use a lesser than (<) and greater than (>) sign with the number. No sign at all means the middle of the month.

This July, after the torrential downpours we had, many California toads appeared on my property. On the chart I marked it as >7; meaning there were quite a few toads at the end of the month.

I have several spreadsheets now, all labeled by the year. I can go back and see what happened last year or in previous years.

If the theory of the yellow jackets is true, then I will be able to look at the spreadsheets and determine whether we might get a lot of rain. If my horses’ coats start to grow in September, I can expect an early winter, and if they begin to lose their coats in February, I’ll know winter is over and spring will soon be upon us. If their coats grow in long, I can expect rain and probably a milder winter. But if their coats grow in short and thick, I can guarantee a cold winter with a strong probability of snow.

This is a fun project for the entire family, although it can (and should) go on for years. I’m not a statistics fanatic, but I do enjoy watching nature and making the predictions.

I hope you will try this for yourself. It’s not only informational, but it can also be fun to collect the data and see if you can predict weather patterns, blooms, insect invasions, etc.

Give it a try and see what interesting and fun discoveries await you.

Mari Carbajal is a docent-naturalist at the Placerita Canyon Nature Center.

1. Shay says:

I like how you think and look forward to more posts! If nothing else, you’ll have lots of great info to share with the kids on field trips at the nature center.

2. jim soliz says:

This was the first time I truly enjoyed reading anything from the SCVN. Normally, its all about all the alleged criminal behavior (and they usually have a Spanish surname), how bad the liberals are, how hateful and crazy the left is ( and this is something I really find bizzarre since the only person on the “left” that has ever admitted it is a local TAX attorney), and the chest pounding of very conservative minded people (which is so boring because its always about how bad everybody but them are). So frankly, reading your article was just such a little bit of fresh air that I actually read and enjoyed it all. Thanks.

• Mari Carbajal says:

I’m honored. I love to write, and I love nature, so it’s a perfect blend. I really appreciate your compliments. Mari

3. C. Harris says:

Mari, I too have noticed how nature can tell us the up coming weather.
    Last evening August 12th a second flock of geese came by headed south. Pretty early in the year to do that traveling. All of the oak trees are dropping their acorns, again that usually does not happen until late September or October. So what is your prediction for the winter of 2015
    after checking out your horses?

• Mari Carbajal says:

Hi C…

It’s truly amazing what you can find when you open your eyes. I don’t know about the acorns. I have no prediction at this point because our weather is so hot that the horses are comfortable. Usually they begin growing their winter coats in late September/early October. We’ll see what happens. If you want to know more in the future, feel free to contact me at mcarbajal.pcnc@gmail.com

4. Christina Rodriguez says:

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

5. Pretty fascinating. I hope you update us with your findings.

6. Roni C says:

Hey Mari- Great article!! I REALLY enjoyed reading it. Still want to make a date and have you give me the tour of that area. But I would have thought you would be sick of spread sheets by now!! haha – Roni

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
Your rights guarantee that you get the health services the law says you can get, protect you against unethical practices, and ensure the privacy of your personal and medical information. You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at all times, and to be protected from discrimination.
Friday, Jun 15, 2018
California voters just bought the feel-good tax proposition that was stated to raise yet another $4 billion for “clean water” funds. Days later, Brown declared it isn’t enough. There will be another ballot measure in November to raise another $8 billion.
Friday, Jun 8, 2018
Our state leaders are finally working together to address one of the greatest inequities in higher education – funding for California community colleges that serve high need students.
Wednesday, Jun 6, 2018
Not every decision on the table must be made within the next week. When it comes to deciding how to fund community colleges, it would be wise to hit pause and devote more careful consideration to the discussion.
Monday, Jun 4, 2018
This summer, help your kids break away from Fortnite and YouTube – by signing them up for fun recreational opportunities offered by the City. Instead of screen time, their days can be filled with sunshine, learning, activity, arts, culture and much more.
Friday, Jun 1, 2018
In her June message, Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste details the best ways to enjoy the local trails and open space this summer.

The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session, Monday, June 25, at 6:30 p.m.
June 25: Arts Commission Study Session
The California Enterprise Development Authority will hold a teleconference meeting, Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 10:30 a.m.
June 28: California Enterprise Development Authority Teleconference Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a special meeting Tuesday, June 26, at 5:30 p.m.
June 26: Santa Clarita City Council Special Meeting
Firefighters are battling a brush fire at the Sunshine Canyon Landfill that started around 3:00 p.m. Thursday.
Firefighters Battling 1-2 Acre Fire Near Newhall Pass
Glenn Frankel and Keri Walsh have been named 2018 Academy Film Scholars by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Academy Honors 2018 Film Scholars
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce and Sweat Box Sauna Bar as they celebrate the opening of their new location.
June 27: Grand Opening Celebration Sweat Box Sauna Bar
Fresh Mustang connections to Major League Baseball didn't end with the draft earlier this month. Master's graduate David Sheaffer, who transferred before his final collegiate season to pursue an international MBA program, signed a free agent contract with the Seattle Mariners on June 10.
TMU Alum Signs with Seattle Mariners
There are spots still available on the Saugus Spartans Football program for kids between the ages of 6-8 years old.
Spots Still Open on Saugus Spartans Football Program
An already extremely tight inventory bumped into rising interest rates to further complicate home sales during May in the Santa Clarita Valley, which saw drops in home and condominium closed escrows compared to a year ago, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported Thursday.
SCV Home, Condo Sales Drop Amid Tight Inventory, Rising Interest Rates
Detectives from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station are looking for a male suspect who stole a tip jar from a local coffee shop. Details below are from the Facebook page of the SCV Sheriff's Station:
Detectives Seek Public’s Help in Nabbing Tip Jar Thief
Adoption is a meaningful way for individuals and couples to fulfill their dream of parenting. There are approximately 64,000 children in foster care in California.
July 28: Children’s Bureau Foster Care, Adoption Information Meeting
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy for all individuals in Santa Clarita Valley and for sensitive individuals in East San Gabriel Valley area tomorrow, Friday, June 22.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
CalArts alumna and faculty member Brigette Barrager (BFA Film/Video 07) was awarded the Christopher Award for Distinguished Achievement for her illustration of "Pocket Full of Colors."
CalArts Faculty Brigette Barrager Wins Christopher Award
"Window Lace," the first exhibit by CalArts students to be presented at the Westfield Valencia Town Center Mall, is now open on the mall's first floor across from H&M and will be on display through the end of summer 2018.
CalArts Opens its First Art Exhibit at Westfield Valencia Mall
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that Jennifer Todd has won the runoff election for the open Producers Branch seat on the 2018–19 Board of Governors.
Producer Jennifer Todd Voted to Academy Board of Governors
California's median home price reached a new high in May, while home sales retreated both on a monthly and annual basis, wiping out most of the gains posted for the year, the California Association of Realtors said Tuesday.
California Median Home Price Hits Record High, Sales Drop in May
In an effort to transform California’s relationship to energy markets in the western region of the country, lawmakers on Tuesday advanced a bill that would merge California into a regional energy market.
California’s Controversial Energy-Grid Bill Advances
Santa Clarita-based SOS Entertainment has been named the 38th Assembly District’s Business of the Year, Assemblyman Dante Acosta (R-Santa Clarita) announced Wednesday.
SOS Entertainment Named 38th Assembly District Business of the Year
Tickets are now on sale for “A Doll’s House,” “25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and “Harold and Maude,” three theater productions to be presented in June and July at The Main in Old Town Newhall.
Tickets on Sale for 3 New Theater Productions at The Main
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan announced on Wednesday the fifth ballot counting update for the Statewide Direct Primary Election.
Fifth Election Results Update for June 5 Primary Election
Los Angeles County has engaged information technology leader IBM Security Services to conduct an independent review and evaluation of the systems and procedures used in the production and printing of voter rosters for the June 5 Statewide Direct Primary Election.
L.A. County Selects IBM Security Services to Review Voter Roster Error
The Assembly Committee on Public Safety unanimously passed Senate Bill 1024, the Animal Cruelty & Violence Intervention Act of 2018, introduced by Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, to change the way California handles animal abuse offenders, Wilk announced Wednesday.
Wilk Animal Offender Bill Passes Assembly Public Safety Committee
Separate bills authored by California Senator Scott Wilk, R-Santa Clarita, to improve management of sex offenders and to streamline cultivation of industrial hemp have cleared the Assembly Committee on Public Safety, Wilk announced Wednesday.
Wilk Sex Offender, Industrial Hemp Bills Clear Assembly Committee
World-traveled rock-R&B-funk band Teresa James & The Rhythm Tramps returns to headline the free Valencia Jazz & Blues concert on the street outside the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Friday, June 22 starting at 7 p.m.
June 22: Teresa James & Rhythm Tramps at Valencia Jazz & Blues
The California Senate Energy, Utilities & Communications Committee voted Tuesday to pass legislation turning California into a giant Western power trading casino that puts ratepayers and the environment at risk, Consumer Watchdog said in condemning the vote for AB 813.
Consumer Watchdog Condemns California Senate Energy Committee Vote for Power Trading
The JetHawks' Roberto Ramos won the pregame Home Run Derby, but the North Division took down the South, 8-1, in the California League All-Star Game at The Hangar in Lancaster Tuesday night.
Ramos Wins Home Run Derby, But South Drops All-Star Game
The Assembly Committee on Higher Education unanimously approved Senate Bill 1356 introduced by California Senator Scott Wilk, R-Antelope Valley, to provide state funding for a California Institute for Aerospace in the Antelope Valley.
Wilk Aerospace Institute Bill Soars Through Legislature
Nine Northeast and West Coast states including California Wednesday reaffirmed their strong commitment to a clean, low-carbon transportation sector with the release of a new Multi-State Zero Emission Vehicle Action Plan for 2018-2021 to support the successful implementation of the states’ ZEV programs.
California Lauds Multi-State Zero-Emissions Vehicle Plan
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man and woman from Long Beach on various charges including suspected identity theft and possession of counterfeit cash in Saugus Monday afternoon.
Long Beach Couple Arrested for Suspected ID Theft, Bogus Bills
2002 - "Legacy: Santa Clarita's Living History" series debuts on SCVTV with "Placerita Gold" episode [watch]
Here is a list of Santa Clarita arts-related events for June 20 -22:
June 20-22: Santa Clarita Arts Calendar
NORTHRIDGE- CSUN Athletics is mourning the passing of former women's golf coach Bonnie Murphy who lost her five-year battle with cancer on Saturday, June 17.
Matadors Mourn Loss of Former Women’s Golf Coach
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce will be holding a networking social where attendees will receive a voucher for 50% off their next purchase with Ashley Furniture in Santa Clarita, and anyone who takes a comfort test on a Tempur Pedic mattress will receive a $50 gift card.
June 20: SCV Chamber’s Business After Hours Social
The city of Santa Clarita’s popular Summer Trolley, which takes guests to and from Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor each day for free, is now offering evening entertainment service, from local hotels to both Town Center Drive and Old Town Newhall.
Summer Trolley Now Offering Evening Entertainment Service
Firefighters are responding to a 1-acre brush fire in Newhall that started after 12:00 p.m. on Tuesday, according to officials at the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Forward Progress Stopped on Newhall Brush Fire