Mostly clear
Mostly clear

December 3
1887 - Prohibitionist Henry Needham purchases land in Newhall, attempts to establish "dry" colony [story]
H.C. Needham

Photo by Mark Amaya

Photo by Mark Amaya

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies are investigating a report of a pedestrian killed by a freight train Friday morning.

An unidentified female victim was hit by a train at 10:20 a.m., east of Ruether Avenue near Rainbow Glen and Soledad Canyon Road, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station officials.

The victim is believed to be a teenage girl, but her identity has not yet been confirmed by officials.

Eastbound Soledead Canyon Road at Ruether is being shut down as officials work around the collision scene.

Photo: KHTS

Photo: KHTS

Initial reports indicate the death might have been  an accident.

Officials are in the process of getting a recording from the front of the train to get a better understanding of what happened.

Stay tuned for more information.

1. It is horrible! My husband heard the screaming, we live right there in the blue condos

2. oh my gracious…i was upset about the traffic there thinking it was the construction causing the delay. God forgive me! prayers the teen and her family. :'(

3. So sad I just drove past there :(

4. Just past that area. God bless her family

5. Ryan Connor Ryan Connor says:

That’s the second girl hit by a train right there

6. So sad. Why aren’t these kids paying attention when there walking or cross the streets. So sad. Prayer for that family

7. So sad. Why aren’t these kids paying attention when there walking or cross the streets. So sad. Prayer for that family

8. So sad. Why aren’t these kids paying attention when there walking or cross the streets. So sad. Prayer for that family

9. What’s going on too many young lives lost .. Praying for the family

10. What’s going on too many young lives lost .. Praying for the family

11. What’s going on too many young lives lost .. Praying for the family

12. Very sad week for Canyon Counrty! Two young deaths in two day!

13. Very sad week for Canyon Counrty! Two young deaths in two day!

14. Very sad week for Canyon Counrty! Two young deaths in two day!

15. I drove past it this morning it was so sad and tragic

16. I drove past it this morning it was so sad and tragic

17. I drove past it this morning it was so sad and tragic

18. She had just gotten off the bus right before she got hit

19. She had just gotten off the bus right before she got hit

20. She had just gotten off the bus right before she got hit

21. Shelby did she try to go over the tracks when the bells were going off and the blockers were down???

22. Shelby did she try to go over the tracks when the bells were going off and the blockers were down???

23. Shelby did she try to go over the tracks when the bells were going off and the blockers were down???

24. Any other updates?.

25. Any other updates?.

26. Any other updates?.

27. Prayers for her, her family members and all that witnessed or were on the train.

28. Prayers for her, her family members and all that witnessed or were on the train.

29. Prayers for her, her family members and all that witnessed or were on the train.

30. Rosa Machado Rosa Machado says:

Heartbreaking! My prayers w the family of the teen grl!

31. Rosa Machado Rosa Machado says:

Heartbreaking! My prayers w the family of the teen grl!

32. Rosa Machado Rosa Machado says:

Heartbreaking! My prayers w the family of the teen grl!

33. How did she not hear the Training coming? I don’t understand this. So senseless

34. How did she not hear the Training coming? I don’t understand this. So senseless

35. How did she not hear the Training coming? I don’t understand this. So senseless

36. I would guess, her being a teen, that she had headphones on. There is no other way to not hear a train. RIP.

37. I would guess, her being a teen, that she had headphones on. There is no other way to not hear a train. RIP.

38. I would guess, her being a teen, that she had headphones on. There is no other way to not hear a train. RIP.

39. to sad the second child this week

40. to sad the second child this week

41. to sad the second child this week

42. Sad my heart goes out to the family condolences

43. Ruben Pous Ruben Pous says:

Why is she not in school ?

44. Thank you April Vance I was just turning the corner to come home and the police had just gotten there and started taping it off. Very sad

45. It’s on Rainbow ln and Soledad Cyn .Not Ruether

46. David Reyes David Reyes says:

Just gose to show everybody humans are no match for trains to everyone who lives near trains look both ways pay attention for these trains

• I live right behind rainbow market and if I even think the train is coming, I stop at the light. I take NO chances, but kids are different. Their brains don’t fully develop until they are 25yrs old.

47. Juanita Mera Juanita Mera says:

Karen Spencer Navarro

48. Why wasn’t she in school? Praying for her family

49. Danielle here’s the train article

50. Prayers to both her and family

51. Witnesses said she was texting and had ear phones on :-(

52. David Hong David Hong says:

Another person dying. Gruesome what a world we live in. Having friends and neighbors dying left and right!

53. How sad today this girl and yesterday the boy. Both in canyon country.

54. Just passed the area and saw the train sitting on the tracks. Very sad. Condolences to the family. May she RIP. And to the boy yesterday too.

55. Robyn says:

It really doesn’t matter why or how. It’s just so sad. God Bless her family & friends. May she R.I.P.

56. This is so sad- I live nearby (Isabella) and heard the noise. My daughter crossed that part of the track getting off the bus- insanely scary. condolences to the family, friends and our neighborhood.

57. Eileen Pavia Eileen Pavia says:

I know someone who witnessed the whole thing nd he said she intentionally walked on the tracks nd closed her eyes. Suicide!

58. Ashley Melissa Zetina

59. I live right infront of rainbow glen and many who witnessed it said she was at the bus stop, but went to the liquor to get something. When she came out she saw the bus getting to the bus stop so she ran. She saw the train, but did not want to miss the bus. If she was a was teen then she was most likely going to Golden Valley HS since they enter later on Fridays. Santa Clarita isn’t the same anymore. Its not as safe is it used to claim. Very sad, but accidents happens. Its a cruel part of life.

60. Larry, this is down the street from my housing community.

61. Larry Hayes Larry Hayes says:

People need to stay off the tracks that’s what happens

62. Larry Hayes Larry Hayes says:

That’s metro links track some times we use it

63. Has her name been released

64. that spot looks like a big time danger zone the tracks are fully exposed god forbidden a little grl runs and she get run over by a train scv should do something about this I SAY A CITY PITITION so they can make all train tracks more secure 2 school near that area mission view bowman there should be some law I mean they got a decrease speed sign in every school make scv safe agin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. Very sad Im sorry about her family

66. Maria Quiles Maria Quiles says:

I drove by and saw the train was stopped..police cars, ambulance and firetrucks were surrounding the scene….had no idea what happened…how sad :(

67. Horrible… So sad for the family

68. Roxana Heredia this is what i saw when i was on lunch

69. I was coming back from Walmart last week and was horrified when I saw three teens running across the tracks just as a train was approaching with just seconds to spare. Deeply saddened by what’s happened.

70. Chris Cramer Chris Cramer says:

Came home sick and this happened right in front of where I live. So very sad

71. Ruth Gramajo Ruth Gramajo says:

Melvin-Daisy Ramírez Ramirez. Acá miralo

72. Adam Tethers Adam Tethers says:

She went to Golden Valley..today was a late start at 10:05. I know her name but wont say on here for respect. I talked to a couuuple of her teachers today and they were very upset. Ive heard a few different stories…but i guess we will have to wait to see the trains Camera Footage. I give my Condolences..so Sad. she was 16.

73. Mark Worth Mark Worth says:

Wow! I remember that area.

Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Thursday COVID Roundup: First Case of Omicron Detected in L.A. County
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has received confirmation of its first case of COVID-19 with mutations consistent with the new Omicron variant (B.1.1.529).
Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Interstate 5 Improvement Project Breaks Ground in Santa Clarita
Metro Los Angeles celebrated the groundbreaking Wednesday for the I-5 North County Enhancements Project, which will improve the operations and safety of the I-5 freeway for motorists in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Thursday, Dec 2, 2021
Learn How to Wrap Gifts Like a Pro Thanks to JCI Santa Clarita
Do you take the easy route with a bag and tissue paper because your wrapping job looks like a crumpled mess?

H.C. Needham
Thursday COVID Roundup: First Case of Omicron Detected in L.A. County
Andrew Ghassemi, senior vice president of Spectrum Commercial Real Estate, Inc., is pleased to announce the recent sale of a Class-A office building in Valencia.
Spectrum Real Estate Closes on $3.5M Sale of Valencia Office Building
Interstate 5 Improvement Project Breaks Ground in Santa Clarita
Learn How to Wrap Gifts Like a Pro Thanks to JCI Santa Clarita
Commercial driver’s licenses, learner’s permits, endorsements and special certificates expiring between March 2020 and February 2022, are automatically extended through Feb. 28, 2022, the California Department of Motor Vehicles announced Thursday.
DMV Extending Commercial Driver’s Licenses, Learner’s Permits
1972 - Five wounded in Vagos biker gang shooting at Curtis & JoAnne Darcy's Acton '49er Saloon [story]
Darcys 49er
We are in the home stretch of the holiday season. I hope you have made plans to safely celebrate with family and friends. I also want to encourage you to keep safety in mind when shopping for that perfect gift for your loved ones.
City Manager’s Monthly Message – December 2021
La Mesa Junior High 8th graders will soon be building water bottle rockets as part of their science program, thanks to funding from California Credit Union through its Fall 2021 Teacher Grant program.
La Mesa Teacher Wins Fall 2021 Teacher Grant
Los Angeles County Animal Care and Control is celebrating the 'Paw"lidays by offering the gift of a new furry friend.
Adoption Fees Waived Through End of the Year
Santa Clarita Artists Association is pleased to showcase an oil painting demo by Sharon Weaver on Feb. 21, 2022.
Artists Association Presents Oil Painting Showcase With Sharon Weaver
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station has once again begun collecting toys as part of the Annual Holiday Toy Drive.
Sheriff Station Seeks Donations For 2021 Holiday Toy Drive
The Santa Clarita Public Library turning the page towards a new month with events and programs for all to enjoy.
Adventure Awaits At Public Library This December
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Monday 18new deaths and 1,473 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 39,128 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID Roundup: Omicron Variant Detected in Northern California
Tune in for the premiere of the final episode and season 3 finale of SCVTV's music show -- Soundcheck -- showcasing the rock sounds of the dynamic duo Miss Britt & Woogie Wilcox, and acoustic stylings of CJ May in a live, on-location performance at the Rancho Camulos Museum that will be broadcast on all of SCVTV's platforms this Thursday.
Dec. 2: Soundcheck Presents Performances from Miss Britt & Woogie Wilcox, CJ May
It's December which means the return of the Santa Clarita International Film Festival's opening night is right around the corner.
Santa Clarita International Film Festival’s Opening Night Coming Soon
For years, the Santa Clarita Valley Education Foundation has provided support to community’s schools, teachers and students through literacy programs, events, scholarships, grants and more.
Ten Reasons to Support the SCV Education Foundation on Giving Tuesday
It has been a true honor and a pleasure to serve as the Mayor of Santa Clarita this year.
Santa Clarita Mayor’s Monthly Message – December 2021
The holidays are here and Santa Clarita transit is welcoming residents and visitors to join them on a Holiday Light Tour.
Take A Seasonal Journey On the Holiday Light Tour
1929 - Saugus train robber Thomas Vernon apprehended in Pawnee, Okla. [story]
Tom Vernon
Join the Valley Industry Association Friday, Dec. 17, at 11:45 a.m., for its 2022 Board Installation Luncheon.
Wilk to Preside Over VIA’s 2022 Board Installation Luncheon
The Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation combats animal cruelty by paying for officer training, equipment, and supplies to enforce animal cruelty laws, rescue abused and neglected animals, and support prosecution of animal abusers.
County Animal Care, Control Seeking ‘Giving Tuesday’ Donations
The William S. Hart Union High School District has been awarded the National Empowered Seal for its commitment to whole-child education by EVERFI.
EVERFI Awards Hart District National Empowered Seal