header image

[Sign Up Now] to Receive Our FREE Daily SCVTV-SCVNews Digest by E-Mail

Inside
Weather


 
Calendar
Today in
S.C.V. History
April 6
1820 - '49er diarist William Lewis Manly born in Vermont [story]
William Lewis Manly


[KHTS] – A federal judge sentenced a Valencia man found guilty of witness tampering in an FBI investigation to 41 months in prison Monday.

Lt. Stephen Leavins, 52, of Valencia, was facing a statutory maximum of 15 years in federal prison, along with his five co-defendants.

All six of the defendants were convicted of participating in a broad conspiracy to obstruct justice, a plot that began in the summer of 2011 after they learned that a jail inmate was an FBI informant and was acting as a cooperator in a federal investigation into corruption and civil rights violations at the jail, according to federal prosecutors.

“Blind obedience to a corrupt culture has serious consequences,” Judge Anderson told the defendants before ordering each of them to begin prison sentences in the coming months.

“In their corrupt attempt to shield the Sheriff’s Department from scrutiny, these deputies brought scandal and shame to themselves and their department. These deputies decided to impede a federal investigation, and in doing so they threw away their careers and their freedom,” said acting United States Attorney Stephanie Yonekura. “These law enforcement officers have now been held accountable for their unlawful actions.”

 

U.S. Attorney’s Office, December 2013:

 

fbi_logoUnited States v. Thompson, et al., CR13-819

This six-count indictment that alleges a broad conspiracy to obstruct justice charges seven sworn members of the LASD. This case developed when deputies assigned to the Men’s Central Jail—including Lieutenant Gregory Thompson, who oversaw LASD’s Operation Safe Jails Program, and Lieutenant Stephen Leavins, who was assigned to the LASD’s Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau—learned that an inmate was an FBI informant and was acting as a cooperator in the FBI’s corruption and civil rights investigation.

After learning that the inmate received a cellular phone from a deputy sheriff who took a bribe and that the inmate was part of a civil rights investigation, those allegedly involved in the obstruction scheme took affirmative steps to hide the cooperator from the FBI and the United States Marshals Service, which was attempting to bring the inmate to testify before a federal grand jury in response to an order issued by a federal judge. As part of the conspiracy, the deputies allegedly altered records to make it appear that the cooperator had been released. They then re-booked the inmate under a different name and then told the cooperator that he had been abandoned by the FBI.

Over the course of several weeks, the deputy sheriffs allegedly also attempted to obtain an order from a Los Angeles Superior Court judge that would have compelled the FBI to turn over information about its investigation to LASD. After the judge refused to issue such an order, according to the indictment, two LASD sergeants who are charged in this case nevertheless confronted an FBI special agent at her residence in an attempt to intimidate her into providing details about the investigation. The sergeants falsely told the special agent and her supervisor that they were obtaining a warrant for her arrest, according to the indictment.

Thompson no longer works for LASD. The other deputies named in this indictment are Gerard Smith, Mickey Manzo, and James Sexton, who were assigned to the Operation Safe Jails Program; and Scott Craig and Maricella Long, who were LASD sergeants within the Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau.

This case is being handled by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Brandon Fox, Lizabeth A. Rhodes of the Central District of California, and Margaret Carter of the Civil Rights and Public Corruption Section.

 

July 2014:

 

Federal Jury Convicts Six Current and Former Los Angeles Sheriff’s Deputies of Obstructing Federal Civil Rights Investigation

U.S. Attorney’s Office July 01, 2014
  • Central District of California (213) 894-2434

LOS ANGELES—Six sworn officers who were working in the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department were found guilty today of obstruction of justice for interfering with a federal civil rights investigation into misconduct at the Men’s Central Jail. A federal jury determined that the defendants, including two lieutenants, attempted to influence witnesses, threatened an FBI agent with arrest and concealed an FBI informant who should have been turned over to federal authorities.

All six of the defendants were convicted of participating in a broad conspiracy to obstruct justice, a plot that began in the summer of 2011 after they learned that a jail inmate was an FBI informant and was acting as a cooperator in a federal investigation into corruption and civil rights violations at the jail.

“The deputy sheriffs found guilty today participated in a scheme to thwart a federal grand jury investigation into violations of basic constitutional rights guaranteed to both prisoners and visitors to county jails,” said United States Attorney André Birotte Jr. “While an overwhelming majority of law enforcement officials serve with honor and dignity, these defendants tarnished the badge by acting on the false belief that they were above the law.” “Law enforcement at all levels must work together to arrive at justice and to safeguard the civil rights of all the people we serve,” said Bill L. Lewis, the Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office. “Today’s verdict is another step toward ending a period of corruption at the Men’s Central Jail for the good of the public, as well as the employees of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, who have continued to serve with distinction while enduring this temporary stain on the department’s reputation.”

The defendants convicted today are:

  • Gregory Thompson, 54, a now-retired lieutenant who oversaw LASD’s Operation Safe Jails Program;
  • Lieutenant Stephen Leavins, 52, who was assigned to the LASD’s Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau;
  • Gerard Smith, 42, a deputy who was assigned to the Operation Safe Jails Program;
  • Mickey Manzo, 34, a deputy who was assigned to the Operation Safe Jails Program;
  • Scott Craig, 50, a sergeant who was assigned to the Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau; and
  • Maricela Long, 46, a sergeant who assigned to the Internal Criminal Investigations Bureau.

The evidence presented at trial showed that the defendants learned that an inmate received a cellular phone from a deputy sheriff who took a bribe and that the inmate was part of a federal civil rights investigation. The deputies took affirmative steps to hide the cooperator from the FBI and the United States Marshals Service, which was attempting to bring the inmate into federal custody pursuant to an order issued by a federal judge. As part of the conspiracy, records were altered to make it appear as if the cooperator had been released, but he was re-booked under different names.

The deputies also engaged in witness tampering by attempting to influence witnesses to not cooperate with the federal grand jury investigation, including the informant and the sheriff’s deputy who had taken a bribe to smuggle the cell phone into the jail.

Over the course of several weeks, the defendants sought an order from a Los Angeles Superior Court judge that would have compelled the FBI to turn over information about its investigation to LASD. After the judge refused to issue such an order, based on a lack of jurisdiction, Craig and Long confronted an FBI special agent at her residence in an attempt to intimidate her into providing details about the investigation and to try to deter the FBI from conducting the federal investigation. The sergeants falsely told the special agent, and later her supervisor, that they were obtaining a warrant for her arrest. In addition to the conspiracy count, all six deputies were convicted of obstruction of justice offenses. Craig and Long were also found guilty of making false statements to the FBI agent and to her supervisor about seeking a warrant for her arrest.

As a result of today’s convictions, all six defendants face statutory maximum sentences of 15 years in federal prison (with Craig and Long facing another potential five years for the false statements charges).

The defendants are scheduled to be sentenced on September 8 by United States District Judge Percy Anderson.

Thompson is retired. The rest of the defendants, according to the Sheriff’s Department, were relieved of duty without pay in December 2013.

Comment On This Story
COMMENT POLICY: We welcome comments from individuals and businesses. All comments are moderated. Comments are subject to rejection if they are vulgar, combative, or in poor taste.
REAL NAMES ONLY: All posters must use their real individual or business name. This applies equally to Twitter account holders who use a nickname.

0 Comments

You can be the first one to leave a comment.

Leave a Comment


SCV NewsBreak
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration Time 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Progress: 0%
Stream TypeLIVE
Remaining Time -0:00
 
1x
LOCAL NEWS HEADLINES
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
April 26: SCV Family History, Genealogy Fair
The Santa Clarita Valley Family History & Genealogy Fair, an annual free genealogy fair hosted by the Valencia FamilySearch Center, will be held on Saturday, April 26, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
April 11: Deadline to Vote in Best of California State Parks Poll Nears
California State Park enthusiasts from across the state have nominated their favorite state parks, and now it’s time to decide. State Parks has gathered the top nominations, and now it is time for you to determine the Best of California’s State Parks.
Friday, Apr 4, 2025
Travel the World in 2025 with the Celebrate Passport
Explore the world by traveling to the Canyon Country Community Center for the Celebrate event series. Experience different customs and cultures, no plane ticket needed.
Keep Up With Our Facebook

Latest Additions to SCVNews.com
1820 - '49er diarist William Lewis Manly born in Vermont [story]
William Lewis Manly
1970, minutes before midnight - Newhall Incident: 4 officers murdered in worst-ever CHP slaying [story]
Newhall Incident
The Santa Clarita Valley Family History & Genealogy Fair, an annual free genealogy fair hosted by the Valencia FamilySearch Center, will be held on Saturday, April 26, 8 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
April 26: SCV Family History, Genealogy Fair
The Los Angeles County Treasurer and Tax Collector reminds Santa Clarita Valley residents that the second installment of the 2024-25 Annual Secured Property Taxes becomes delinquent if not paid by Thursday, April 10.
April 10: Second Half of L.A. County Property Taxes Due
The 52nd Annual Frontier Toyota Henry Mayo Golf Classic will host a $20 per ball Helicopter Golf Ball Drop at 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 10 at Valencia Country Club.
May 10: Frontier Toyota Henry Mayo Golf Classic Golf Ball Drop
California State Park enthusiasts from across the state have nominated their favorite state parks, and now it’s time to decide. State Parks has gathered the top nominations, and now it is time for you to determine the Best of California’s State Parks.
April 11: Deadline to Vote in Best of California State Parks Poll Nears
Residents wanting to wear their Santa Clarita pride can now shop online at the city of Santa Clarita City Store. The store offers a variety of city-branded merchandise options, including t-shirts, hoodies, hats, totes and more.
Santa Clarita Opens Online Merchandise Store
Explore the world by traveling to the Canyon Country Community Center for the Celebrate event series. Experience different customs and cultures, no plane ticket needed.
Travel the World in 2025 with the Celebrate Passport
After three successful years guiding the Teton Ranch Conservancy, Executive Director Jaron Cramer will be stepping down from his position effective Friday, April 18.
Tejon Ranch Conservancy Leadership Transition Announced
The Santa Clarita City Council will meet in open session on Tuesday, April 8 at City Hall to consider sending a letter, signed by all city council members, to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors regarding Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputy vacancies and encouraging the board to make investments in enhancing LASD retention and strengthening recruitment efforts.
April 8: City Council to Discuss Letter on LASD Vacancies to County Supes
1893 - Large earthquake centered in Pico Canyon; locals believed oil drilling caused it [story]
map
California State University, Northridge’s Department of Theatre will host Native Voices, the only professional theatre company in the United States devoted to bringing Indigenous playwrights, 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 7, to perform “To Indigeneity and Beyond!”
April 7: Native Voices to Perform at CSUN
The William S. Hart Union High School District has announced that Anthony Eslao, a senior at Golden Valley High School, has been awarded the distinguished California Scholarship Federation Seymour Award. Additionally, Matthew Thomas De Guzman, also from Golden Valley, has been recognized as a Seymour Award finalist.
Golden Valley Student Wins CSF Seymour Award
Assemblywoman Pilar Schiavo’s bill, D-Chatsworth, the Expediting State Housing Permits Act (AB 301) was passed as part of a major package of housing legislation aimed at tackling the state’s housing crisis.
Schiavo Joins Forces with Rivas to Expedite Housing Development
The Department of Water Resources conducted the all-important April snow survey on Wednesday, April 2, the fourth measurement of the season at Phillips Station.
DWR April Snow Survey Shows California at 110% of Average
The Santa Clarita Master Chorale invites you to an elegant evening of wine, dinner and song atthe annual Cabaret & Cabernet benefit “The Beat Goes On,” on Saturday, April 26, 5 p.m. at the Hyatt Regency Valencia.
April  26: ‘The Beat Goes On’ Master Chorale Cabaret & Cabernet Benefit
Visit the Santa Clarita Public Library Valencia branch, 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 8 for a "Alice's Looking Glass" crafting session.
April 8: ‘Alice’s Looking Glass’ Craft Session at Valencia Library
Join the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce for a Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting at Monarch Beauty Academy, Thursday, April 24 at 4 p.m.
April 24: Monarch Beauty Academy Grand Opening Ribbon Cutting
For the third year in a row, The Master's University's basketball player Kaleb Lowery has been named an NAIA All-American, this time on the First Team.
Lowery Named First Team All-American
Lief Labs, a premier formulation and product development innovator and manufacturer of dietary supplements, has announced the launch of its 2025 Brand Boost Guide which offers tips, guidance and resources to support dietary supplement brands in identifying potential sales growth and risk management strategies.
Lief Labs Launches 2025 Brand Boost Guide
The Master's University men's volleyball team completed the sweep of its old rival with a 25-11, 25-21, 25-19 controlling of the Arizona Christian Firestorm Saturday afternoon, March 29 in Glendale, Arizona.
Mustangs Complete Sweep on Arizona Trip
Arbor Day is more than just a celebration, it’s a commitment to our future. Every year, communities across the world come together to plant trees, promote environmental stewardship and enhance the landscapes that make our cities and towns more beautiful and livable.
Jason Gibbs | Celebrate Arbor Day in Santa Clarita
April 30 will be the final day for submitting comments regarding the updating of Los Angeles County Floodplain Management.
April 30: Deadline for Comments on Floodplain Management
Among several important issues presented at its Tuesday, April 8 regular board meeting, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors will hear recommendations on establishing a unified permitting authority for the Altadena One-Stop Recovery Permitting Center relating to properties impacted by the Eaton Fire.
April 8: Supes to Consider Altadena One-Stop Recovery Permitting Center
SCVNews.com