[CCU] – California Credit Union has announced the 10 winners of its Spring 2012 Teacher Grants. Recipients will receive an award amount up to $500 to use towards their 2012-2013 class projects.
The three grant recipients from the Santa Clarita Valley are: Melody Smith from Castaic Middle School, Michelle Fusner from McGrath Elementary School, and Heather Kennedy from West Ranch High School.
The students of Castaic Middle School will benefit from the grant with the purchase of bikes that will help special education students improve their gross motor skills. The grant for McGrath Elementary School will support an after-school reading initiative for English Language Learners. Finally, West Ranch High School will be using the funds to cover costs of a weeklong Anti-Bullying campaign.
CCU continues supporting the education community by offering programs such as the Teacher Grants. “We are thrilled to offer this new source of funding for teachers. We received many great applications making the selection process a difficult task for the committee, but it was very rewarding to see how all the teachers want to create an innovative learning environment for their students” said Jason Pugh, Vice President of Business Development.
The Valencia branch, managed by SCV resident Michelle Wagemaker-Dawdy, is located at the intersection of Magic Mountain Parkway and Valencia Boulevard in the Barnes and Noble shopping center. California Credit Union membership is open to public and private, current and retired educators and school district employees in California. In addition, if you or your children attend school in California, you may qualify for membership.
This is the first year CCU is offering the Teacher Grant Program. Grant applications are accepted in the Spring and Fall. Up to 20 grants will be awarded in the year for $500 each. Eligible participants are active full-time classroom teachers in Los Angeles County with qualifying projects. For more information on the CCU 2012 Teacher Grant, please visit www.californiacu.org or contact Jason Pugh, VP Business Development at (818) 291-5554 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are pleased to award the following teachers / schools / school districts:
* Melody Smith / Castaic Middle School / Castaic Unified School District
* Scott York / Royal Oak Middle School / Charter Oak Unified School District
* Matthew Kearns / Covina High School / Covina-Valley Unified School District
* Linda Kallas / Oak Street Elementary School / Inglewood Unified School District
* Megan Hannen / Narbonne High School / Los Angeles Unified School District
* Jill Keppel / Rio Vista Elementary School / Los Angeles Unified School District
* Michelle Fusner / McGrath Elementary School / Newhall School District
* Michael Slominski / Pasadena High School / Pasadena Unified School District
* Valerie Lu / Merced Elementary School / West Covina Unified School District
* Heather Kennedy / West Ranch High School / William S. Hart Union High School District
About California Credit Union
California Credit Union was chartered in 1933 by a small group of Los Angeles teachers. The education-related community has built California Credit Union into a billion-dollar federally insured financial institution. The credit union serves nearly 70,000 members and has thirteen branch locations throughout Los Angeles County.