Cloudy
Cloudy

June 16
1876 - D.G. Scofield forms California Star Oil Works, hires Alex Mentry to drill in Pico Canyon [story]
Pico oil rigs

Starting Wednesday, May 12, 2021, eligible households will be able to enroll in the Emergency Broadband Benefit program which sets out to help households struggling to pay for internet service during the pandemic.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is an FCC program. The benefit will connect eligible households to jobs, critical healthcare services, and virtual classrooms.

Starting Wednesday, eligible households will be able to enroll in the program to receive a monthly discount off the cost of broadband service from an approved provider.

Eligible households can enroll through an approved provider or by visiting GetEmergencyBroadband.org.

A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:

– Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;

– Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision in the 2019-2020 or 2020-2021 school year;

– Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;

– Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or

– Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on Tribal lands.

Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute $10 to $50 toward the purchase price.

The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.

1. Blanca Pagan says:

Can you please let me know if I qualify

2. Heidi woods says:

I am interested in this program

3. Angelita Thompson says:

On ssdi att to expensive

4. Teisha Gaines says:

Need broadband discount

5. Hilda Prado says:

I need help with my internet price went up and cannot afford to pay for it . I am in SSI and get only 400.00 per month

6. Hilda Prado says:

I need help with my internet price went up and cannot afford to pay for it .

7. Patricia says:

Since this COVID-19 I was Impact of my electric bill went up, am spending money I really don’t have, due to my child being out of school I live off of 1 check a month, SSI , I have a lot of health issues as well as suffer from mental illness,

8. Sherrie lemay says:

Can you please tell if I’m qualify for it and how do I get the application if I am

9. Deborah Whaley says:

I am extremely beyond interested in this program & need help, I’m on ssi I have spectrum for my services & they are way to expensive $188.60 a month, plz help me out ty

10. Jacqueline Drumheller says:

I have already applied

11. Margarita Freytes says:

I need help my Fios bill is going up

12. Martha Garcia says:

let me know how to apply

13. Gloria Hood says:

Can I qualify ? I receive EBT

14. Tina Williams says:

I need help with my enter-net mine is almost 44.00 a month

15. Jennifer Charles says:

Hi, I am a 46 year old mother of one. I receive SSDI for multiple sclerosis. My daughter is a junior at Thornton Academy. I had to have internet she is a remote student at the internet is my biggest struggle. It is $74.99 a month. During the pandemic it is essential.Through Spectrum I would definitely appreciate the grant!

Sincerely.
    Jennifer Charles
    81Licoln street apt 1
    Saco, Me
    04072

16. Christy Lynn says:

Please help me to learn how to apply for this

17. Anush Khandilyan says:

I would really want this help

18. Ramona scott says:

I’m interested in this program

19. Maria Tapia says:

Need for kids elearning.

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2021
County Shares Ways to Help the Elderly During World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Los Angeles County Workforce Development Aging and Community Services is spreading awareness during World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) by sharing ways the community can help.
Tuesday, Jun 15, 2021
Homicide Detectives Investigating Body Found in Canyon Country
A body was found under the Soledad Canyon overpass in Canyon Country on Tuesday, prompting a call to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau detectives.
Tuesday, Jun 15, 2021
Tuesday COVID-19 Roundup: California Officially Moves ‘Beyond the Blueprint’; 28,061 Total SCV Cases
As California’s COVID-19 case rates have fallen to among the lowest in the country and almost 19 million Californians are fully vaccinated, the state is moving 'Beyond the Blueprint' to fully reopen its economy and end many pandemic-era restrictions, announced California Department of Public Health officials. In addition, Los Angeles County Public Health noted the current guidelines vaccinated and unvaccinated County residents are to follow as restrictions relax and the economy reopens.

Pico oil rigs
County Shares Ways to Help the Elderly During World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Homicide Detectives Investigating Body Found in Canyon Country
The necessity of passing federal legislation aimed at curbing illegal eviction was examined at length Monday during a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing.
House Panel Takes Up Bill Blocking Evictions in National Emergencies
California lawmakers passed a record $267 billion budget bill Monday that boosts spending on programs designed to fight climate change, prevent wildfires, build affordable housing and stimulate the economy with direct payments to taxpayers.
California Lawmakers Send $267 Billion Budget to Newsom’s Desk
Family, friends and members of the Los Angeles County Fire Department gathered at Fire Station 131 in Palmdale Tuesday morning for a ceremony to honor firefighter Tory Carlon, who was killed earlier this month.
Flag Ceremony Honors Fallen Firefighter Tory Carlon
Medical examiners identified a body found across the street from the Castaic Lagoon as that of Marlon Francisco Menjivartorres, 35, of Castaic.
Coroner Identifies Body Found Near Castaic Lake
Los Angeles County Fire Department officials announced plans this week for a private flag ceremony and memorial service — both of which will be livestreamed for the community to watch — in honor of the firefighter killed in the Station 81 shooting on June 1.
Flag Ceremony, Memorial Service Planned for Firefighter Killed in Station 81 Shooting
In an announcement released on Monday, Rep. Mike Garcia, R-Santa Clarita, reported that he had secured $20 million in federal funding for the district to be included in pending legislation, with some of the money heading toward the Santa Clarita Valley if the bill is approved.
Garcia Announces $20 Million Planned for Transportation Services in District
Demonstrating alongside the Hart District Teachers Association, members of the California School Employees Association Chapter 349 stood outside the district office last week in support of the ongoing negotiations concerning pay and benefits.
Hart District Classified Staff Negotiating Increase in Pay, Benefits
1957 - Lang Station dedicated as State Historic Landmark No. 590 [story]
Lang Station
With fire experts predicting a “dire” wildfire season ahead, two of the world’s largest firefighting helicopters joined the Southern California region’s wildfire-suppression arsenal Tuesday.
CH-47 Helitankers Join SoCal’s Firefighting Fleet
Nearly 18 months after the first health officer order was issued for COVID-19, California’s stay-at-home order will expire Tuesday as the economy fully reopens.
Economy Set to Reopen as California’s ‘Blueprint for a Safer Economy’ Expires
On Monday, Los Angeles County Public Health officials confirmed two new deaths and 135 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 28,053 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: Public Health Urges Everyone to Get Fully Vaccinated Ahead of 4th of July; SCV Cases Total 28,053
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has reported nine productions filming in the Santa Clarita Valley aka "Hollywood North" the week of Monday, June 14-20, 2021.
Filming This Week in SCV:  ‘Masha’s Game,’ ‘With Love,’ 7 More Productions
In the first four months of 2021, the District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges on 537 Santa Clarita Valley criminal cases — already 156% of the total number of declined cases for the entire previous year.
District Attorney Case Rejections on the Rise
Michelle Denise Dorsey’s life was celebrated by more than 200 people during a memorial service at Real Life Church in Valencia Saturday morning.
Hundreds Attend Memorial Service Celebrating Michelle Dorsey’s Life
The Santa Clarita Planning Commission will consider Tuesday a transitional housing project on a vacant lot at 23652 Newhall Ave.
Planning Commission to Discuss Transitional Housing, Circle K Alcohol Sales Expansion
Many Santa Clarita Valley school districts plan to reject Centers for Disease Control (CDC) funding to provide comprehensive COVID-19-screening programs at SCV schools.
SCV School Districts Set to Reject COVID-19 Testing Funds
A virtual town hall Thursday brought together Los Angeles County Public Health officials to answer questions from the public about changes to coronavirus restrictions come Tuesday when California’s “blueprint for a safer economy” expires.
County Officials Answer Public’s Reopening Questions
1916 - Jesse Doty buys White Star Garage; he turns it into Newhall's first Ford dealership [story]
White Star Garage
1949 - Frank Walker deeds over the first 40 acres of Placerita Canyon State Park [story]
Deed