The National Weather Service on Friday afternoon issued a high wind watch for the Santa Clarita Valley from Saturday evening through Sunday morning.
Angeles National Forest officials also on Friday raised the fire danger level from “very high” to “extreme” in the forest and the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument.
North winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 60 mph are possible, the service forecasts.
Damaging winds could blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are possible. Travel could be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.
The NWS advises residents to fasten loose objects or shelter objects in a safe location prior to the onset of winds.
Angeles Forest Fire Chief Robert Garcia explained that one reason for the fire danger level change to extreme “is to enhance public awareness of the threat wildfires pose to the health and safety of the forest and those who enjoy it.”
Another, Garcia said, “is the current and long-range weather predictions indicating above-normal temperatures, below-average relative humidity and precipitation, coupled with periods of strong, gusty Santa Ana winds.”
Forest Service restrictions include:
* Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, or stove fire, throughout the national forest and national monument.
* Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
* Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame.
* Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except in the authorized public shooting ranges. A person with a valid permit for the Forest Service or hunting with a valid California hunting license may discharge a firearm according to their permit or license.
* All previous restrictions apply.
For a list of all USFS fire restrictions, click here.
The NWS forecasts Saturday’s weather to be sunny, with a high near 80. North-northeast wind 5 to 10 mph will shift to northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.
Saturday night is expected to be clear, with a low around 56. West southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Sunday’s forecast calls for sunny weather with a high near 83. Breezy, with a northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.