School may be out for winter break, but that doesn’t mean fun learning opportunities also have to take a break. Next week, to kick off the new year with educational experiences, the Santa Clarita Public Library will be hosting free teen and tween activities at its branches in Canyon Country, Newhall and Valencia.
Teens and tweens are invited to participate in the following activities starting in January:
– Teen Study Hall on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library. Teens are invited to come in to get some schoolwork done. They may also take “brain breaks” to create cool crafts, play board games, or just hang out and talk with other teens. While there they can take advantage of free Wi-Fi, printing, and snacks.
– Teen Advisory Board on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Valencia Library in the Valencia Library Meeting Room. Teens are invited to make their voice heard by joining a local Teen Advisory Board (TAB). TAB members will assist in designing and implementing exciting library programs with other local teens in grades 7-12. TAB meetings are held monthly at each branch of the Santa Clarita Public Library.
– Camp Half-Blood on Thursday, January 5, 2017 from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Valencia Library in the Valencia Library Meeting Room. Themed after the famous book series, teens and tweens are invited to celebrate all things Percy Jackson at Camp Half-Blood!
– LEGO® Party on Friday, January 6, 2017 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the Old Town Newhall Library in the Newhall Community Room. Bring your family to our LEGO® Party. We supply the LEGO® bricks. You supply the imagination.
– Stitch It Together on Saturday, January 7, 2017 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Canyon Country Library in the Canyon Country Meeting Room. Curious about crochet? Learn the basics and make a bookmark or test your skills and create a scarf! Basic crochet instruction is available for teens and tweens. Crochet hooks are available for use during the program. Experienced stitchers are welcome to work in our communal space!
– The Valencia Library is located at 23743 Valencia Boulevard. The Old Town Newhall Library is located at 24500 Main Street. The Canyon Country Jo Anne Darcy Library is located at 18601 Soledad Canyon Road.
For more information about themed programs and activities for tweens, teens and adults at the Santa Clarita Public Library, visit santaclaritalibrary.com.
On a night that Jordan Starr not only moved into fourth place all-time in career assists but also scored his 1,000th career point, The Master's University men's basketball team beat the Bethesda Flames 106-86 in a non-conference game at The MacArthur Center.
Travis Preston, California Institute of the Arts School of Theater dean and CalArts Center for New Performance executive artistic director, has been named to the Artistic Committee of the Wuzhen Theatre Festival.
Business's that pay taxes may be eligible to direct a large portion of their Use Tax back to Santa Clarita’s general fund for public safety, parks, libraries, infrastructure and other city services and receive a cash rebate on a portion of the Use Tax remitted to the city.
Three adult suspects were arrested Tuesday night on suspicion of possession of fentanyl with intent to sell the opioid after two other adults overdosed on the drug at Bouquet Canyon Park in Saugus, according to law enforcement officials.
Officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau are investigating a body found at Northbridge Park in Valencia, which was found in the middle of the basketball courts there Wednesday morning.
iLEAD California Schools announced the appointment of its new CEO Amanda Fischer, who has contributed to the development of the organization and partner schools since 2018, when she joined as Executive Director of iLEAD California.