For the third year in the row, the College of the Canyons ARTstART program will provide local elementary, junior high and high school students with complimentary access to select shows at the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center.
The PAC K-12 Arts Education Outreach Program, in partnership with the COC School of Visual and Performing Arts, launched the ARTstART program in an effort to introduce students to the wide variety of cultural arts events available at the college, and help nurture an early appreciation for music, theatre, dance and the fine arts.
During the 2016-17 PAC season, the following six ARTstART performances will offer free admission to eligible students:
* Symphony of the Canyons — Bravo Beethoven! – Saturday, Oct. 22
* COC Theatre — “The Winter’s Tale” – Nov. 11-13, 18-20
* COC Music — Annual Holiday Jazz Band Concert – Friday, Dec. 2
* COC Theatre — “Bring It On: The Musical” – April 28-30, May 5-8
* COC Music — Annual POPS! Jazz Concert – Friday, May 12
* Symphony of the Canyons — In Celebration of Nature – Saturday, May 13
“ARTstART provides our community’s K-12 students with the opportunity to attend and learn about the arts programs we have on campus,” said Carmen Dominguez, Dean of the college’s School of Visual and Performing Arts. “At no cost, they are able to attend select main stage concerts and plays in our Black Box Theater.”
To become an ARTstART patron, students must be between 5-18 years old and possess a valid school ID.
Students will receive a complimentary ticket upon presenting a valid school ID at the PAC box office for any ARTstART show that features the program’s logo.
All tickets will be issued on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Students are also invited to visit the COC Art Gallery to experience one of the four scheduled exhibitions taking place in 2016-17:
* “Avenues & Turnabouts” — Ed Flynn — Aug. 30 – Oct. 6, 2016
* “Roudels — John Eden — Oct. 25 – Dec. 8
* “Site Specific” — Lisa Adams — Feb. 21 – March 23, 2017
* 21st Annual Student Exhibition — April 18 – May 18, 2017
The COC Art Gallery is open on Monday’s from 11 a.m. to 4 pm. and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Those unable to visit the gallery during normal hours are welcome to call (661) 362-3612 to schedule a viewing appointment. All gallery exhibitions and related events are free and open to the public.
For more information about the College of the Canyons ARTstART program, please visit www.canyonsPAC.com or call (661) 362-5304.