SCVNews.com | Steve Hanauer, Longtime SCV Florist, Dies at 76 | 07-27-2017
Sunny
Sunny

August 17
1920 - Actress Maureen O'Hara born in Ireland; 1961 "Parent Trap" uses Disney Golden Oak Ranch [story]

Longtime Santa Clarita resident Steve Hanauer – the “Steve” in Steve’s Valencia Florist – died Wednesday night from complications stemming from a fall he sustained the previous day.

Not just a florist, Hanauer was also a fixture in the Santa Clarita community, known for his generous support of local charities including the SCV Senior Center and the SCV Boys and Girls Club.

“He was very proud of this valley,” said his widow, Jan Hanauer. “He loved the people. He was very prominent with the ‘old-school Santa Clarita’ community and was always willing to help.”

The local entrepreneur owned and operated Steve’s Florist since 1974 – which makes it the oldest full-service flower shop in Santa Clarita. Prior to the Santa Clarita location, Hanauer owned flower shops in San Fernando and Brentwood.

The business expanded at one point to three locations in the Santa Clarita Valley, but Jan Hanauer said they later decided to dwindle it down to one – the original and current location on Lyons Avenue in Newhall. “One was easier to maintain,” she said.

Patti Rasmussen, a Santa Clarita arts commissioner, said Hanauer was the florist who serviced her wedding 40 years ago. Rasmussen remembers a kind man who would annually remind her husband to send her flowers when their anniversary was drawing near.

“He liked to tease my husband Charlie every year when he forgot our anniversary,” she said.

Rasmussen also remembers the flowers and card Hanauer sent her when her fourth son, Steven, was born: “Finally, you named one after me.”

“I think that’s what I’ll miss most about him,” Rasmussen said, “He had a wicked sense of humor.”

Jan Hanauer credits the longevity of the business to her husband’s hard work.

“Steve took pride in this,” she said. “Being in this business is a lot of hard work. A lot of hard work. But he knew the kind of joy it brought to people. It’s a very rewarding job, and he loved it.”

Services for Hanauer are being planned. He was 76.

1. He was such a nice man. Prayers to his family 😢

2. Paula Morey-McElhinney Michelle James Debra L Noe

3. Sharon Duggins Fowler Alexis Soto

4. So sad. I’ve known Steve my entire life. When I was a little girl, my Mom and I would walk to the florist every week and get a single carnation. Years and years every week.

5. Sue Jacobs Sue Jacobs says:

So sorry for you loss🙏🏻

6. Debra L Noe Debra L Noe says:

Oh my gosh is this the gentleman that Gerry knew so well At The Florist?

7. So sorry for your loss , Steve used to bring in special arrangements for the Kaiser lab staff and he made arrangements for us during the holidays that were gorgeous 💜. He was a very special man😢 very sorry for your loss 😢

8. A very nice man. Always helpful and ran a good business. Condolences to the family 😔🙏🏼

9. Bridget kaus ( Heuer) says:

Such sad news, Steve is such an important part of our family as my father and him were business owner side-by-side for so many years on Lyons Ave. prayers to Jan and the rest of the family

10. So sorry to hear this. They are the best florist in SCV. Sending prayers to his family.

11. Janie Garcia Janie Garcia says:

My condolences to the family. Very wonderful man.

12. Sorry for your loss. Prayers. Steve let my granddaughter come in and shadow when she was taking the ROP florist class. He was very kind and helpful. Can’t believe it.

13. Great Guy RIP Steve 🙏❤️😢

14. Such a kind gentleman, I hope there are beautiful flowers in heaven all around you. Prayers to the family.

15. So sad…he was such a kind man.

16. Sandy Worth Sandy Worth says:

I loved walking into his flower shop. Very generous with local charities. Steve will be missed for certain by many in the SCV.

17. Lynn Vogel Lynn Vogel says:

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a true gentleman and always enjoyed a chat.

18. Jean kanawyer says:

I was so sad when I heard tonight that Steve passed away. He truly was the nicest man ever.. he always remembered me with flowers for several holidays from him and Jan. Said it was for the great service he received from me at Kaiser lab.Steve and Jan felt like family to me after all these years. My prayers go out to both of them and I thank God I was given the honor to know him and his wife. He will be missed.

19. Prayers and Condolences to Steve’s family.. Wonderful floral designer.. He did he flowers for my wedding in 1987.. Beautiful!

20. Glen Rollins says:

Steve was always a kind gentleman. I first met him in 1975. Helped him purchase a new Chevy Van.
    I bought bright red roses every year for my my wife Loretta. One for each year.
    He was so involved @ giving to the community. I’ve loved him always. Prayers to all the family. RIP Steve

21. Jeannine Sharar Walker says:

Such heart breaking news. My condolences and prayers to the family. He was a great man and will be deeply missed.

22. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

23. Paul Mahone Paul Mahone says:

This is a loss for the community. He was super nice and always treated me well.

24. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

25. Kathleen Forbes Isn’t this who we used to use at SST?

26. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

27. He was always so kind to me, when I’d walk to his shop to by flowers for my mom when I was a child.

28. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

29. This saddens me. I’ve been going to him since we moved here in 1985

30. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

31. Crystal Anne Crystal Anne says:

So very sorry for your loss. You’re in our thoughts. ❤️

32. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

33. Donna Dolan Donna Dolan says:

Very kind man. He will be missed!!!!

34. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

35. SORRY TO HEAR THIS. i first met Steve when he was just startimg out 40 years ago. RIP Steve!

36. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

37. 💔💔💔 Steve was a wonderful human being and a great community supporter. He will be so missed. My condolences to his family.

38. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

I’m so sorry n mother Roberta Veloz for your loss 😢we are thinking about you jean n your family RIP we love you guys be strong❤️🙏🏻

39. Maria Dalve Maria Dalve says:

40. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

41. I’m so sad for Steve and his family :(

42. I got quite a few flowers from Steve’s! Great company! Sorry to hear he passed.

43. Robbie bailey says:

He donates pink flowers to the outpatient surgical unit after the pacient had their ports taken out as a way to give recognition for their fight against breast cancer.

44. Very sad news. He will be sincerely missed.

45. Received a floral arrangement when my son was born (13 years ago!) and have always fondly recalled such a beautiful bouquet. Nice gentleman. A big loss in our community.

46. I’m shocked with this news. I’ve known Steve a long time. And Steve’s Florist is iconic in our town. He’s going to be missed so much. Prayers to the family. I’m very sad.

47. Steve would take phone calls even after they closed in the night to send flowers all around the country for our family. So very sorry he passed.

48. A very Special fellow!!

49. Diana Sevanian says:

Such sad news. Steve Hanauer was one the sweetest, most humble and altruistic gentlemen you could ever meet. He was a large part of what made the American Cancer Society SCV Unit’s annual Daffodil Days campaign a success. He literally turned his flower shop over to the ACS volunteers each year to bring spring’s floral cheer to oncology patients as we raised vital ACS funds (by selling the daffodils throughout the community). Those of us st ACS could never thank this man enough for his generosity and kindness. What a huge heart and good soul he possessed. My sincere condolences to his loved ones.

50. My sincere condolences to the family. Prayers.

51. Valerie Balsz Shelton made me think if all the flowers Lynn sent you!!!

• Valerie Shelton says:

When my husband and I were dating, he would order a flower arrangement for my work station every week. Steves florist did the most beautiful arrangements. They also did our flowers for our wedding in 1995. I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. Our sincere condolences.

52. He was so kind to my parents and me when we bought flowers for my brother’s funeral. SCV lost a true community hero. RIP Steve. You will be missed.

53. Mary L Parks Mary L Parks says:

Steve was a great guy, he did the flowers for our wedding and my daughter
    learned to be a floral designer while working at Steve’s. We had another daughter who worked at Steve’s for a while and then my husband delivered flowers for Steve’s. He has touched our family in a great way. We send our love and prayers to his sweet wife and family.

54. Many beautiful flowers from such a great guy! Prayer for the family.

55. Helene White says:

Steve was a wonderful man. My husband, Micah and I, owned a print shop and did Steve’s printing. It was always a pleasure to deliver his work. He always had a smile on his face. Our hearts go out to his family.

56. So sad to hear this 😢. I loved going in to get my greenery from Steve. He was always so sweet and would give my daughter a flower each time she would go with me 💕 Hugs and Prayers to the family

57. Kevin Frandson says:

Steve was a wonderful active member in our town. He contributed much and will be missed.

58. Oh no, so sad to hear. He was such a kind man. Will be praying for his family.

59. God Bless Steve❤️family gardenia lady

60. Marta Cesta Marta Cesta says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a kind person.

61. Mary Lou Kelly says:

I first met Steve and Bonnie in about 1974 when we all moved into the new American Beauty homes off Bouquet Canyon. We were all part of such a great neighborhood. Steve asked me to work for them at Maclay Florist as a “bookkeeper”. Lots of fun. He will be missed.

62. Sarah Stokes Sarah Stokes says:

Beth Stokes 😥😥

63. lois eisenberg says:

All the tributes were so forthcoming **
    I Ditto everyone of them**

64. Mama Bear says:

So sorry to hear this. We knew Steve when he and my husband were in the local Jaycees in the l970s. We have kept in touch since then; but probably not enough ;-( He was always generous with Zonta when we needed flowers for a special event. He will be sadly missed.

65. My heart is broken for his wife and kids. Our kids went to Valencia high together. I recently lost my husband. I feel your pain. 😓

66. So sad. Prayers to his family🙏

67. Ed Masterson says:

What a loss… Steve was so great with my daughter this past prom season helping her and her friends pick out boutonnieres for their dates…and same with my son in previous years…Steve was a great gentleman… Special thoughts and thank yous to his family for sharing Steve him with all of us for so many wonderful years… He will be thought of often, and always with great affection… The angels have a new florist to point them in the right direction…

68. Gail Legere Gail Legere says:

So sorry to hear this. He was such a nice guy. We purchased flowers from him for many years. My condolences goes out to his family.

69. Jason White Jason White says:

I was just here a week ago. God bless you Steve. You were super awesome and most helpful.

70. Janet Allen Janet Allen says:

Sorry to hear… good man

71. Anna Riggs says:

So sorry! We got flowers for our 50th anniversary, wonderful job, wonderful man! God bless the family.

72. Josh Harvey Josh Harvey says:

He will be missed! I was just in there a few weeks ago

Related Content
Thursday, Aug 17, 2017
San Francisquito Road Collision Leads to Major Injuries
Two people have been hospitalized with major injuries after a collision on San Francisquito Wednesday night.
Thursday, Aug 17, 2017
More Than 30 Caltrans “Fix-it-First” Projects Accelerated by SB 1
Caltrans today announced that 32 major “fix-it-first” transportation projects can be accelerated a year earlier than planned thanks to anticipated funding from Senate Bill 1 (SB 1), the Road Repair and Accountability Act of 2017.
Thursday, Aug 17, 2017
CSUN President Releases Statement on Charlottesville
Statement from CSUN President Dianne F. Harrison on Recent Events in Charlottesville, Virginia

Le Chene French Cuisine, a long-time Santa Clarita local favorite restaurant along Sierra Highway, has announced that they will be hosting a thrilling Murder Mystery Dinner on Saturday, November 4th, 2017.
Nov. 4: Le Chene Murder Mystery Dinner
Senator Scott Wilk, R- Antelope Valley, today announces that he is one of the 2017 inductees into the Antelope Valley High School Alumni Hall of Fame.
Sept. 22: Wilk to be Inducted into AV High School Hall of Fame
Signups are under way for the Santa Clarita Walk to End Alzheimer’s, which offers participants an opportunity to take a healthy stroll, experience outstanding live entertainment, honor loved ones who have been affected by Alzheimer’s and raise funds to battle the debilitating disease.
Oct. 7: Walk to End Alzheimer’s; Signups Underway
Trammell Crow Company (TCC) andand Clarion Partners are pleased to announce the acquisition of 54 acres of land for the development of The Center at Needham Ranch, a state-of-the-art business park in the city of Santa Clarita, CA.
TCC, Clarion Partners Acquire More Than 50 Acres of SCV Real Estate
The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration is hosting what will be a highly educational and informative (and free) Tax Seminar for Nonprofits and Exempt Organizations.
Sept. 6: Tax Seminar for Non-Profits and Exempt Organizations
For the first time in 99 years, a total eclipse of the sun will pass over the continental United States on August 21, and Princess Cruises guests sailing on six cruise ships in Alaska will be invited to special viewing parties as part of the cruise line’s exclusive Stargazing with Discovery at Sea program.
Princess Cruises to Host On-Board Viewing Parties for Solar Eclipse
San Francisquito Road Collision Leads to Major Injuries
More Than 30 Caltrans “Fix-it-First” Projects Accelerated by SB 1
CSUN President Releases Statement on Charlottesville
The Los Angeles County Fire Department responded to a traffic collision at Bouquet Canyon and Plum Canyon Roads early Thursday morning.
Firefighters Extricate Trapped Person After Early Morning Collision
Brandon Gold allowed a tie-breaking home run in the sixth inning and the Lancaster JetHawks fell to the San Jose Giants, 4-2, on Wednesday night at Municipal Stadium.
Gold, JetHawks Fall Short Against the Giants
While Charlottesville violence and protests continue divisive dialogue nationally, Santa Clarita residents gathered to create a place “to be able to come together.”
Community Members Hold Vigil for Charlottesville
Farmers and environmentalists are lining up to battle the $16.7 billion California WaterFix tunnels project proposed for the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta.
Farmers, Environmentalists Join to Fight California ‘WaterFix’ Project
There's a new Grizzly at Golden Valley High School as Matt Sorensen has been named the school's new head baseball coach.
Matt Sorenson New Head Baseball Coach at Golden Valley
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Sheriff’s deputies are continuing to conduct burglary suppression operations in our valley. Plus, Representative Steve Knight sat down with local law enforcement to discuss the current state and future role of policing in the SCV. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Wednesday, August 16, 2017
The Saugus Union School Board is establishing a committee to advise on the development of policies and procedures for the sale or lease of surplus real property owned by the District.
Saugus Board Creates Surplus Property Advisory Committee
The SCV Sanitation Board has provided an update in its efforts to comply with the state-mandated chloride limit, including finalizing the Recirculated EIR released for public comment in May.
SCV Sanitation Board Finalizing EIR Due August 18
"Music, Volume 1," the latest album by platinum recording artist and CalArts' School of Music namesake Herb Alpert, recently reached the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Contemporary Jazz Albums chart.
Herb Alpert’s Latest Album Tops Billboard Jazz Chart
The Castaic Union School District's Governing Board will hold a special meeting on Thursday, August 17 at 5 p.m.
August 17: Castaic Schools Governing Board Special Meeting
MannKind Corp. is moving its corporate headquarters to Westlake Village, after nearly 17 years in Valencia, according to the latest quarterly report it filed with the SEC.
MannKind Corp. Moving from Valencia to Westlake Village
CalArts grads Mark Bradford and Sharon Lockhart headline the Un-Private Collection artist talk at the Orpheum Wednesday night, presented by the Broad museum of contemporary art.
August 16: CalArtians Mark Bradford, Sharon Lockhart at Broad in L.A.
Santa Clarita Valley International School has hired veteran coach Ken Erenberg as athletic director, the school announced today.
Ken Erenberg Named SCVi Athletic Director
The Los Angeles Dodgers took the first of the two-game Interleague series with a 6-1 victory over the White Sox at Dodger Stadium Tuesday night.
Dodgers Soil White Sox 6-1 Tuesday
40 oz. to Freedom arrives in Santa Clarita as part of its anniversary tour at Concerts in the Park at Central Park on Saturday, August 19, with showtime at 7 p.m.
August 19: 40 Oz. to Freedom Rocks Central Park
Senator Scott Wilk, R- Antelope Valley, today submitted a letter to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation during a public comment period regarding proposed regulations that could lead to the early release of dangerous "nonviolent" inmates and diminish victim rights.
Wilk Urges Public Safety When Releasing ‘Non-Violent’ Felons
The Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations released a statement Wednesday morning, condemning the violence and mourning a death in Charlottesville.
County Commission Mourns Death of Charlottesville Protester
Garrett Hampson, the Cal League’s reigning Player of the Week, slugged a two-run home run to lead the Lancaster JetHawks to a 5-3 win over the San Jose Giants on Tuesday night at Municipal Stadium.
Hampson Stays Hot, Lifts ‘Hawks Over Giants
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested three suspects and seized drugs and weapons in a recent burglary suppression operation.
SCV Deputies Arrest 3, Seize Drugs, Weapons
1947 - Newhall Hardware opens on Spruce Street, now called Main Street [story]
Representative Steve Knight, R-Palmdale, sat down with Santa Clarita law enforcement officials to discuss the current state and future role of policing in the SCV.
Knight, Law Enforcement Officials Hold Roundtable Discussion
From the Facebook page of Shirley Miller, public information officer, social media manager at Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station: LASD Carjacker Captured (with some help).
Community Member Tackles Suspected Carjacker
A funeral service for William Clinton Cloyd Sr., a renowned architect and home builder in the Santa Clarita Valley, is being held Wednesday, August 16 in Eternal Valley’s Upper Chapel.
Funeral Services Wednesday for SCV Homebuilder, Architect William Cloyd Sr.
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, deputies are looking for a hit-and-run suspect. Plus, county supervisors have approved a motion to a establish a Blue Ribbon Commission on public safety.. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, August 15, 2017
To kick-start its celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the revival of TMU Theatre Arts, the school is bringing back a favorite.
TMU Celebrates 10th Anniversary Revival of Theater Arts