Old Town Newhall’s Main Street is alive with entertainment on Thursday evenings. Coming up this month is 10 by 10, Note by Note and the ARTree Speaker Series. Taking place on Thursday, February 2, is 10 by 10 and on Thursday, February 9 is Note by Note. Later in the month, on February 23, is the ARTree Speaker Series. All events will begin at 7:00 p.m. and take place at 24266 Main Street.
Each month, the popular and entertaining 10 by 10 variety night features 10 performers bringing an assortment of acts to the stage. Each month is different, so you never know what to expect the next month! Here is a preview of February’s 10 by 10:
· Comedian Samantha Hale was born and raised in Los Angeles and is following in the comedic footsteps of her grandfather, Alan Hale Jr., best known as the Skipper from “Gilligan’s Island.”
· Pablo Marz will bring his storytelling to the stage. He has performed at the Disney Concert Hall, the Getty Center and even the Tropicana Nightclub stage in Havana, Cuba.
· GRIT is an Americana, blues and folk band that includes stringed instruments, a harmonica, acoustic guitar, accordion, kazoo, slide whistle and more.
· Stand-up comedian Chris Cope has appeared on many television shows including “The Jimmy Kimmel Show,” and “Tosh.0.”
· Filmmaker Summera Howell will share her short film, “I Will Love You, Always,” that subtly blends fantasy with reality. Exploring love and loss in the 21st century, the film reflects the deeply personal choice to move on.
· Singer/songwriter Abel Gallardo, front man of The Buckhenries, will share a rare solo performance for the 10 by 10 audience.
· Storyteller Julia Pels frequents the independent comedy scene and has also done larger shows at The Comedy Store, The Ice House and The Hollywood Improv.
· Musician Nick Goodman works in the film industry as a production designer, but has always played music on the side.
On February 9, and every second Thursday of the month, is Note by Note, a singer/songwriter night featuring four performers. Each performer, both amateur and seasoned, takes the stage to perform songs of their own composition, allowing attendees to discover new talent right in Santa Clarita.
The featured performance for February’s Note by Note is Lorin Hart. Lorin sings regularly in clubs and coffee houses around Los Angeles. Her ability to weave original poetry into various formats, including blues, folk, jazz, country and western has allowed her to appeal to music lovers of all ages. Additional performers include Pat Nason, Janine Cooper Ayres and The Mad Monarchs.
This month’s ARTree Speaker Series features the creator of Foamee Homeez, Rick Quevedo. Rick sought out a way to incorporate his love of puppetry, social media and his own children to create new multimedia content that educates and entertains. This fun and enlightening event will include his creative artistry and experience.
For more information about 10 by 10, Note by Note or any future Thursdays@Newhall events, visit ThursdaysAtNewhall.com or contact the City’s Arts and Events Office at (661) 250-3787.