June 25
1859 - Outlaw Tiburcio Vasquez escapes from prison while serving sentence for grand larceny in SCV area; recaptured in August and sent to San Quentin [story]
Tiburcio Vasquez

Residents of the Santa Clarita Valley and other Southland communities below 3,000 feet in elevation have not been allowed to burn wood or manufactured logs in their fireplaces most of the week and will be prohibited from doing so again Friday.

The ban was issued by the South Coast Air Quality Management District – which is empowered to make such rulings – due to elevated fine particulate levels.

Friday’s no-burn day is the third this week and the 15th this season, which started Nov. 1 and ends Feb. 28.  Stagnant weather conditions could lead to additional no-burn days over the weekend.

The AQMD’s no-burn alerts apply to the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, Orange County and the Inland Empire; they do not apply to mountain communities above 3,000 feet in elevation, the Coachella Valley and the High Desert.

Homes that rely on wood as a sole source of heat, low-income households and those without natural gas service also are exempt from the requirement.

On a no-burn day, residents can enter their ZIP code at www.aqmd.gov to see if they live in an affected area. (Note that it doesn’t appear to be reliable; it says Newhall 91321 is exempt but other Santa Clarita  ZIP codes aren’t.)

No-burn map for Friday, Feb. 21. (The South Coast AQMD doesn't cover Ventura County.)

No-burn map for Friday, Feb. 21. (The South Coast AQMD doesn’t cover Ventura County.)

1. Bite me…This is ridiculous…not that it’s been necessary to heat my home recently but my family is cold and wants a fire then a fire it will be…if they force me to use heat then they can pay my bill…a fire in my fireplace is way cheaper!

2. In that case I’m going to burning a fire all day long!! Sick of this nonsense!!

3. Nothing about not burning wood in my super duper sized BBQ grill. BBQ tomorrow it is. :)

4. Alan Bingham says:

I may just have to get a smoker for cooking my tri tips in.

5. Don Himes says:

Oh Really, Think I will put an extra log on then !

6. Not for all Santa Claritans; luckily I live outside the boundaries.

7. Oh darn. There’s nothing I want more on an 80 degree day than a fire in the fireplace!

8. As if I or anyone should respect this prohibition.

9. Carole Hunt says:

What a crock! We will be enjoying a nice fire in our firepit!

10. OMG I love everyone’s responses!…and that is so silly to prohibit fire in fireplaces but zero mention of fire pits and BBQ’s…dumbasses

11. Nic Miller says:

Its cool, I’m just burning my trash, old car batteries, plastic, etc. And don’t forget earth day is coming up, free day to dump all your used motor oil and paint down the storm drain.

12. Nic Miller says:

And tomorrow I’ll be smokin all my old tires by soaking them in diesel fuel, and lettin them slow cook

13. Jesse Snyder says:

Burning tires and diesel fuel make me hot. I’m toadly strokin it right now.

14. Sandy Devis Holguin I didn’t even know these types of rules existed!

15. Homeee!!!!!! Miss my hood chingado

16. I’m sure there’s a reason for it. Maybe you should do some research and find out why they are asking this. The only reason U want to burn a fire tomorrow is cuz you were asked not to lol

17. I live in Green Valley and actually have a fire going right now, hahaha go suck it!

18. Nic Miller says:

Green valley, as I am in lake hughes are not effected by the law. But it’s just an “AQMD” restriction

19. Stan Noble says:

Looks like we are just outside the ban area…. if only I didn’t have to open the windows so I can fully enjoy our fire. ;)

20. Silvie Faust says:

It might seem ridiculous to some of you but when you have asthma it’s not ridiculous at all my kids and I have asthma it really great when you can breath .

21. I have asthma, and a super duper sized BBQ grill that will be burning wood for fuel. Not too much of an issue.

22. Gary Mason says:

Also, so people know, you CAN burn a fire if it is your only source of heat. The AQMD has really over stepped the boundaries of telling people what the should and should not do in their own homes.

Is there a patrol that goes around and checks out every house burning a fire? These alerts or “restrictions” weren’t in place a couple of years ago so why now….?

23. VOTE THESE A HOLES OUT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Even if I am in the no burn area, if I am going to warm my home with a wood fire they can suck it. This city sucks ass!

25. Javi says:

Wonder how much AQMD is funded by So Cal Edison and or So CalGas or PG and E….hmmmm

Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024
July 1: Santa Clarita Transit to Increase Fares
Santa Clarita Transit has updated its transit fares across all lines and services. The new fares will go into effect on July 1.
Tuesday, Jun 25, 2024
COC Receives $136,000 Grant from NASA
It’s all systems go for the College of the Canyons Aerospace and Science Team, which has received a $136,000 grant from NASA to support its High-Altitude Student Platform, RockOn, and RockSat-X suborbital rocket programs.
Monday, Jun 24, 2024
July 26-28: LEAP Children’s Museum Hosting Pop-Up Event
A new nonprofit initiative in Santa Clarita is laying the foundation for a groundbreaking Children's Museum.

In the last week the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station Crime Prevention Unit has been partnering with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Major Crimes Bureau’s Retail Theft Task Force to crack down on ongoing retail crimes occurring in the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Sheriff’s Station Conducts Retail Theft Operations
July 1: Santa Clarita Transit to Increase Fares
Registration is now open for the city of Santa Clarita 2024 Youth Sports 6-on-6 Fall Flag Football League.
Registration Open for Youth Sports Fall Flag Football
The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control has announce the launch of a new and improved process to report illegal animal breeding that will include a tipline and online form.
L.A. Animal Care, Control Launches Illegal Breeding Tipline
COC Receives $136,000 Grant from NASA
Tiburcio Vasquez
The 2023-2024 school year has come to a close and along with it a very successful year of high school athletics.
CIF-SS Commissioner Mike West | Year in Review
The Castaic Union School District Governing Board will hold its regular meeting Thursday, June 27, at 6 p.m.
June 27: Castaic Union Expected to Adopt 2024-2025 Budget
The regular meeting of the Saugus Union School District Governing Board will take place Tuesday, June 25, with closed session beginning at 5 p.m., followed immediately by public session at 6:40 p.m.
June 25: Saugus Union School District Regular Board Meeting
July 26-28: LEAP Children’s Museum Hosting Pop-Up Event
The SCV Senior Center was recently informed that their Nutrition Budget - “Meals for Seniors” for Fiscal Year starting July 1, 2024, will be cut by $5.1 million dollars.
SCV Senior Center Announces $5.1M Cut to Nutrition Budget
I know I speak for everyone when I say the passing of firefighter Andrew Pontious in the line of duty just one week ago was heartbreaking.
Kathryn Barger | Fighting Fires
Jeremy Bischoff, a Santa Clarita native and a member of the USA Gymnastics National Team for five years, will compete for a spot in the 2024 Summer Olympic Games this week. Bischoff, a 2020 graduate of Canyon High School/Learning Post Academy, will compete in the U.S. Olympic Trials June 27-June 30 in Minneapolis.
Santa Clarita Native Jeremy Bischoff to Compete in Olympic Trials
The Zonta Club of Santa Clarita Valley invites the community to celebrate its 50 years of improving lives of women and girls globally and in the SCV with a glittering disco gala at The Oaks Club, Valencia, on Saturday night, Sept. 14
‘Studio 74’ Coming to Zonta SCV’s Golden Anniversary Celebration
In celebration of its 20th anniversary, the Santa Clarita Performing Arts Center (PAC) Spotlight Series will feature a diverse lineup of talented musicians and performers, as well as family-friendly events as part of its programming.
PAC Announces 2024-2025 Spotlight Series
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has released the list of seven productions currently filming in the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Monday, June 24 - Sunday, June 30.
Seven Productions Filming in Santa Clarita
Eleven additional athletes claimed spots on the 2024 Paris Olympic Team, including Saugus High School alumna Abbey Weitzeil, on night eight of the U.S. Olympic Team Trials Swimming presented by Lilly, in Indianapolis, Ind.
Santa Clarita’s Abbey Weitzeil Qualifies for Paris Olympic Team
As a city manager, father and community member — the safety of Santa Clarita residents will always be my top priority - especially on the roads.
Ken Striplin | Enhancing Safety, Efficiency in Our Community
The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is set to roll out a fresh, data-oriented strategy aimed at curtailing crime throughout L.A. County.
LASD Rolls Out New Crime Strategy Unit
1980 - Saugus Train Station relocated to Hart Park, Newhall [story]
Saugus Train Station
1946, 11:20pm: William S. Hart, 81, dies at L.A.'s California Lutheran Hospital, leaving his Newhall estate and his (now West) Hollywood home to the public [story]
Hart dies
1972 - Vasquez Rocks added to National Register of Historic Places [list]
Vasquez Rocks
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and Board of Supervisors Chair Lindsey Horvath have sent an open letter to Governor Gavin Newsom urging him to continue funding the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations hand crews who currently help the Los Angeles County Fire Department tackle wildland fires.
Supes Urge Newsom Not to Cut L.A. County Inmate Firefighting Crews
Give the gift of life, an upcoming blood drive is scheduled for Friday, June 28, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., at The Centre, 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita, CA 91350. The blood drive will be held in Cedar Hall.
June 28: City Hosts Blood Drive at The Centre