Clear
Clear

October 18
1876 - Southern Pacific begins subdividing town of Newhall (original location at Bouquet Junction) [story]

lacopublichealth

Update: “We’re doing remodeling, cleaning up over a violation we got from our Health Department here. They’re doing strict work — good, good for the community, good for the business owners,” said Carlos Lopez, manager of the La Cocina Bar and Grill’s Seco Canyon Road location.

“We got caught with a couple cockroaches in the storage area, one in the ceiling. Nothing we couldn’t do. We have merchandise on a daily basis coming in, fresh food, fresh everything. We got the issue addressed, we got it (taken) care of, doing our best. Now, taken a negative deal into a positive. Decided to do some upgrades in the kitchen, knockdown some walls, remodel a little bit. Do a full thorough clean of the the establishment.”

Lopez said the restaurant should reopen Friday.

“There’s no vermin. There’s not rats, There’s no anything,” he said. “I would be more than glad to show you around our facility.”

The notice of closure, taped to the window of the 28022 Seco Canyon Rd. La Cocina location, was effective Sept. 1.

Calls to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health have not been returned.

The Notice of Closure sign was no longer posted as of Sept. 3.

The second La Cocina location, at 28076 Bouquet Canyon Rd., is not affected.

A third La Cocina is being constructed on Golden Valley Road and Sierra Highway.

La-Cocina-Closure

1. They found one cockroach…..that’s it.

2. Nayeli Parks Nayeli Parks says:

Heather Flebbe Liliana Pinto

3. Dar Jones Dar Jones says:

Found one…but where there is one; there are many 👀

Better to be safe and close to do pest maintenance

4. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

Hmmmm. ONLY one? Wonder who ate the rest….

5. Liza Uriarte Bill Uriarte

6. Sandra Carreno Angela Bistrain look

7. Katie Mitchell I saw this last night, i prefer the other location on Bouquet thankfully :)

8. Maria Lopez Maria Lopez says:

Sonia Torres lol wont be going there

9. Omg Pablo Huerta donde trabajaba tio lo cerraron

10. Jose Jr Castrellon Jennifer Castrellon Mando Valles

11. Where there is 1 there are hundreds more hiding .

12. Yvette Gonzalez your moms favorite Jamie Nudie

13. Have you ever heard of ONE ROACH? these pests hide from the sunlight and from people so if a health inspector saw ONE during the day imagine how it is at night when its dark and no one is there? One female roach can lay 500 eggs! 😨😷

14. Anonymous says:

Gil Castro

15. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

16. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

17. Ry B-stad Ry B-stad says:

Michael Jay Solis sound familiar?!

18. Would the health department really close for just 1?

19. Gayle Vogel Gayle Vogel says:

They’ll get the place exterminated. Those cockroaches can come in on grocery bags, etc. Probably on a delivery. It happens. It’ll be fixed.

20. Angie Nonenmacher And that’s why I don’t eat there! Unclean

21. There goes many people’s spot

22. Denise Dickinson Julie Dickinson Brad Dickinson

23. Emily Egan Emily Egan says:

Melanie Fessinger Dulce Jeannette

24. Nancy Hanks, a most read.

25. Haha and this place is always packed even though it’s Mexican food for gringos.

26. i thought a convenience/gas station was being put it in at sierra and golden which is bad enough but certainly don’t need a restaurant there. It is too residential area to place a restaurant in the middle of.

• Diaz Czar Diaz Czar says:

Wtf does that have to do with shutting die the best place in Santa Clarita! 😂

• First, thanks for feeling the need to curse at a total stranger. Second, did you read the article? If you had and put your reading comprehension skills to use, you would have realized I was referring to the part in the article where it mentions the new location La Cocina is building. Third, if you truly feel that La Cocina is the best place in town, then may I suggest you expand your culinary travels of the city. We have plenty of fine restaurants where you will be served more than dressed up taco bell. And lastly, the restaurant was never shut die it was shut DOWN or temporarily closed. The article mentions they are already making the necessary repairs.

• Edgar Merino Edgar Merino says:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 👆🏼Omg that was just too funny! Well put Heidi !

• Tanya Parker Tanya Parker says:

At least the GVH teachers will have a close place to eat!

27. Emily Hart Emily Hart says:

Jennifer Chappell Stroud Dawn Baber John Chappell Kyle Stroud Zack Stroud

28. Hugo Torres Hugo Torres says:

David De La Torre !! Where we gonna get good micheladas at ??!!

29. Vanessa Campos is that where we went?????

30. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

That is so nasty, Kitty there is never just one, get a grip there is never just one they hide in the dark there is always in infestation of roaches. Rats or roaches they are both nasty and they need to be shut down thats what they get for not been clean. Maybe other restaunts need to learn to stay clean so they won’t be shut down.

• Until you have the truth or an educated answer stop! Your sounding rediculous!

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

How am I suppose to be rediculouse when it state why it was shut down and everyone else is making comments on the post also. If people want to have a an restaurant they need to keep the places clean thats partly why the Health Departments come out an inspect and give letter Grades. So how am I been rediculous. Read what SCVTV put and maybe you will understand what people are saying negative things. U need to learn to educate yourself. People can get sick like that.

• Susan Taylor Susan Taylor says:

Sorry Eddie, but if you’re going to call someone out for sounding “rediculous” Spell check “ridiculous” and then use the correct form of the word “your” vs “you’re” otherwise you too sound ridiculous.

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

See Eddie I can spell just like you and it does look ridiculous lol. Thank you Susan for correcting it.

31. Suzie Acosta Suzie Acosta says:

This place is awful anyways. 😑🔫

32. I guess I will be able to get a good parking spot now….😳

33. Liberty Padre Madison Megna

34. I know huh?? Well the beer comes straight from the tap!!

35. Uh oh. Christin DeMaio Gillis

36. Casey Bassett Lisa Juliana this is nooooo bueno!!

37. Kim Aholt Kim Aholt says:

I always wondered why they kept it so dark in there.

38. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Devon Caddy AManda Ruby Villalobos

39. Kristina Dubberke where are you going to eat now???

40. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

They should’ve called John Taffer of Bar Rescue.

41. Maria Gomez Maria Gomez says:

Ewwwww
    Im glad I didn’t frequent the place. I think I went there twice.

42. Stephanie Anderson 😭😭😭😭😭

43. Vanessa Guevara Danielle Renee Guevara Cindy Guevara Baca

44. Cesar Cap Cesar Cap says:

Sandra Andrews 😨😖

45. That place is DISGUSTING!

You couldn’t pay me to eat there ! 👎🏻

46. Kerin Kray Kerin Kray says:

I know Joyce, I saw this. Yuck! That’s my kids and my favorite :(( hopefully it’s not as bad as everyone thinks and will be extra clean after this. Ugggg!

47. Trevor Thordarson Mandi Thordarson

48. that explains the 55 minute wait at Plum Canyon

49. To all of you saying “eeww” etc.. Best place to eat in Santa Clarita it’s called HOME. Yes your own kitchen..

50. Tray White Tray White says:

Apparently no one has ever worked in food service. EVERY restaurant has some type of pest……yes even Mastro’s

51. Francisco Herrera Luis Moya

52. connor says:

POR QUEEEEEEE?!????!

53. Nooooooo!!! Jesse Patterson

54. Lea Garcia Lea Garcia says:

Jessica Tondreau Hannah Marckley Sandra Jane Simonet Stephanie Berke Courtney Belsheim Devin Ebert

55. Mary Tondreau Leo Tondreau Stephanie Alfaro Hobbs

56. Ah a little cock roach adds some protein 😎

57. Lance Cardey Lance Cardey says:

As long as it isn’t Las Delicias, we’re good

58. Susan Krieg Yamaoka. EWWWW!

59. Marie Bliss Marie Bliss says:

While we’re on the subject of Mexican food. We moved here not too long ago and are looking for a really good Mexican food restaurant. That’s our favorite food. Any recommendations?

60. Heather Hessing Christopher Garcia

61. Natalia JaureguiLiinda Dominguez whhhaaaatt!!!!!

62. Tara Tara Plum kc Kc Plum

63. The location on bouquet is gonna be extra busy now

64. Liza Zaydes Liza Zaydes says:

Lindsey Linares 🙀

65. Taylor Erranova Danny Irving

66. Lourdes Wan Leon sabe algo?

67. Steve Reich Steve Reich says:

I thought my black beans were moving on my plate lol

68. Jim Nygren Jim Nygren says:

Keith H. Moore Richard E. Espinoza

69. Kelly Miller Kelly Miller says:

No Debra Bach this seco we are at bouquet.

70. I always thought of vermin as mice/rats. Either way it will probably be super clean now.

71. Why people are so mean, people love the food there for years, is just one incident and everyone is talking about, all the places are the same, love the place and I’ll keep going when they reopen, stay home if your houses are so clean

72. This can & does happen a lot in the restaurant business. Where there is food, there are rodents, vermin etc. Its not like they found vermin in the food. I’m sure you have all had experiences with some type of unwelcome visitor in your home, i.e. Ants, roaches, mice, rats, etc. The best time to eat at La Cocina will be when they are able to open their doors back up. Guaranteed the varmints are gone for a while.

73. Soo glad I never liked this place & ate there only once & never went back. Ugh!!

74. Sergio Gomez Sergio Gomez says:

What do you think give food the flavor? Now its going to suck

75. Steven Smith Steven Smith says:

Kyle Stroud Darian White Emily Hart

76. Health department shouldn’t have to tell you to quit being dirty bastards! That’s a cop out statement! Cockroaches primarily come from the sewer system! Meaning where ever they walk so is the poop! Make sure plumbing tight! And look at shipments to the store! Although not likely the cause………… a place to look.

77. well let me know when it reopens for I could go back

78. They anticipate opening tomorrow but that is not for sure

79. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

Overrated food, but good

80. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

I’m sorry, but they need to do more than remodel. I loved going here to hang out with friends….until more than once they served me a salad that ran brown water…..c’mon!

81. Celeste Campos Sandra Reynosa WTH!?

82. Never liked this place anyway

83. This does it for me, I have never eaten there but with this violation, that makes my decision a “no way”. I can’t stomach knowing there was roaches!!! Sorry.

84. Never been a big fan of LA Cocina. That’s why we go to Maria Bonitas

85. We usually go to their other la Cocina up off rye canyon and bouquet because this one is so crowded, but now I’m wondering what kind of bugs they might have in the other location ! Yuk !!!

86. Really, you get closed down over a couple of roaches……its gotta be more than that?

87. I can’t imagine one restaurant out here or anywhere that does not have something wrong. They will get it cleaned up and all will be fine once again. It is a good restaurant that has been in business for a long time. Of course all the people that say they will never go back again will make for a shorter wait time!! That is a good thing!!

88. Gabby Brooks Gabby Brooks says:

Kenna Marie Brooks Elijah Brooks

89. Taking down every “Bar & Grill” restaurant at a time….SCV is no fun! 😂😂😂 One of my favorites was Tilted Kilt until it closed because it wasn’t “Family Oriented”.

90. Vermin are not cockroaches !!! Vermin means rats !!! We are not stupid, dont treat us like we don’t understand the meaning of vermin !!

91. For crying out loud people! They serve and store food. Critters are attracted to food. Its not my favorite but my hubby loves it and will be right back when they reopen. It’s a family run small business that has good food and great prices. Stop being so critical! I’m sure it will be cleaner then ever once reopened.

92. Cockroaches are not vermin. This is looks more like a rat issue.

93. Jeff Cherry Jeff Cherry says:

Carlos I’ll be back that’s for damn sure

94. Holy Crap!!!! Deuel and Hunter.

95. Will be back soon! Excellent Food As Always.

96. Carrie Hall Carrie Hall says:

Omg. That’s crazy.

97. They won’t shut u down for a couple of roaches .. It must of been an on going roach problem…. Never been there…. and I will never go for sure …

98. Omg. I always eat there

99. Anyone know how long they have been closed..??

100. My other post was deleted not sure why all I said was that there food is in no way authentic or good . And it takes a lot for it to be be closed down this is just nasty

101. Stacy Hartmann , maybe you already saw it?

102. I never just seen a couple cockroaches.. If there’s one there’s a million !!

103. Rich N Winni Rich N Winni says:

Ahh man I’m gonna miss their rat burritos!

104. Still best Mexican food in SCV! Great when they reopen maybe it won’t be as crowded – you nay sayers stay away!

105. We haven’t gone there in a long time – long waits, questionable dishes, etc.. We won’t be back either after seeing this. And, yes we have been multiple times to this location as well as the other off Bouquet/Plum Canyon too.

106. Cockroaches, rats, mice, fleas, lice, bedbugs, etc – any pests or nuisance animals that are hard to control are all considered vermin! Google it if you don’t believe me.

107. Rosy Selena Bloom Vanessa Bloom

108. Marina Telles – you are incorrect cockroaches are considered vermin

109. my son and his friend were there last week….there was a piece of metal that looked like a paper clip in their chips!!!!! Doubt he will ever go back.

110. The name is La Cockroacha?? Oh no

111. Sonia – don’t you really like this place?

112. Typical SC restaurants…. Lame

113. Ed Montoya Ed Montoya says:

Yeah right, couple of cockroaches! When it reopens it should be called “La Cochina”

114. Anonymous says:

Omgggg!

115. If you are doing some remodeling try and make this place a lot bigger and put some more lights in there it intends to be a little bit to dark..

116. Tamara Haley. did you see this?

117. Bahahaha oopies! Natasha Ford

118. Carlos G. Castillo yummy

119. All kinds if RATS run through there

120. Noooooo!!!!😱😱 I need my cadilacs sooo good drinks

121. The Health Department will shut down for just one Roach that is dead on the floor, cause the pest control company did its job! They are sometimes very crazy and unpredictable! This closing is such a non-issue, and I feel it unfortunate and unfair that SCV TV has nothing better than this to report on! This type of negative exposure can only hurt a reputable business! If the rest of you want to believe that you wouldn’t eat at a restaurant with Roaches then you should never go out to eat again, because every restaurant has them at some point!

122. I was just there last week Eww

123. Everyone loves your place.

124. Hang in there LaCo!!!!!! We’ll be right there waiting for doors to open!

125. Carol Rast Carol Rast says:

Omg went there tonight and they were closed. Thought they were doing some deep cleaning but I guess not

126. Fernando Ballesteros your spot

127. William Reel William Reel says:

Small town problem LOL Where WILL I get my taco?!!!

128. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Well now maybe I can get a table without having to wait two hours! :)

129. Teresa Moran Teresa Moran says:

Too much competition haters !!! If u been a hit everyone will be back 😜

130. Joanna Ochoa Joanna Ochoa says:

Never liked the food here anyways. To bad there is no real Mexican food restaurant here in SCV

131. They were caught having Vermin in the kitchen, not cockroaches !!! RATS!!

132. Terrible food ! Not the best in SCV,that’s for sure

133. It’s a great restaurant run by people that take a lot of pride in their business …. Granted they can’t keep an eye on everything and everyone, but if something is ever wrong with your food they will more than compensate and rectify with their staff ….. Their food is beyond authentic and they test and serve their dishes at home first.
    …. Not many restaurant owners like them …. Very hands on!

134. Tom Clark Tom Clark says:

You can always pick out what you don’t want to eat and set it aside .

135. Mike Faretta Mike Faretta says:

Get a life people you will find roaches in every fu#&ing restaurant

136. I still crave that place, 8-years later :)

137. Hubert Cheng Hubert Cheng says:

Alyssa Gaudioso this wont stop me

138. Glad it wasn’t the one on Bouquet. It’s one of our favorite places to eat. Did you know there’s an “acceptable” amount of vermin in the ratings?

139. Michael koontz says:

I’ve eaten there before and I will eat there again. Who cares?

LOCAL BUSINESS LINKS

Waste Connections, Inc.70.51  chart +0.47%
Whole Foods Market, Inc.41.99  chart -100.00%
Waste Management, Inc.76.94  chart +0.13%
Wal-mart Stores, Inc.86.22  chart +0.28%
Woodward, Inc.80.23  chart +1.13%
CURRENCY CONVERTER

The fall 2017 Star Party at College of the Canyons' Canyon Country campus on Friday, Oct. 27 will focus on the pathways to space exploration that exist for star-gazers who are captivated by the many mysteries of the universe.
Oct. 27: Star Party at COC Canyon Country Campus
Determined to transform the deeply troubled Los Angeles County Probation Department, the Board of Supervisors Tuesday voted unanimously to consider an independent entity that would provide guidance, oversight and accountability.
Supes Consider Entity for Probation Reform Guidance, Oversight, Accountability
Alexia Cina of Canyon Country was arrested Wednesday in connection with the death of a mother of six children in a head-on crash on Golden Valley Road on October 6.
Woman Charged with Manslaughter, DUI in Death of Mother of 6
The 22nd annual Santa Clarita Marathon is scheduled for Sunday, November 5, 2017, following the Santa Clarita Health and Fitness Expo on Saturday.
Nov. 4-5: 22nd Annual Santa Clarita Marathon Events
The Los Angeles Dodgers jumped to a 3-0 lead in the best of seven series following Tuesday night’s 6-1 victory over the Chicago Cubs in Game 3 of the NLCS at Wrigley Field.
Dodgers Out to Sweep Cubs in NLCS Game 4
The Los Angeles Sheriff's Department's 2017 Medal of Valor Awards were held Tuesday in Los Angeles, and SCV Sheriff's Station Deputy Dmitry Barkon was recognized for his bravery and heroic actions.
SCV Sheriff’s Deputy Dmitry Barkon Earns Medal of Valor
Now is the time for all good college-bound high school seniors to join the 'Race to Submit' applications for FAFSA and CADAA grants to help cover college expenses.
High School Seniors: ‘Race to Submit’ is on for 2018 College Financial Aid
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies interrupted a smash-and-grab burglary on The Old Road early Friday morning, arresting one suspect and seeking two alleged accomplices still at large.
SCV Deputies Catch Window-Smash Burglars in the Act
Pukúu Cultural Community Services, founded in 1971 by members of the local Fernandeno-Tataviam Band of Mission Indians, will host its 13th Annual scholarship gala fundraiser, "Night with the Stars," in Sunland on Saturday, November 4 starting at 6 p.m.
Nov. 4: Local Tribe Honors 3, Celebrates Native American Heritage Month
California's Attorney General today filed a motion to compel the federal government to follow the law and pay the subsidies that millions of Americans rely on to lower the out-of-pocket costs in their insurance plans.
California AG Fights to Keep ACA Cost-Sharing Subsidies
Santa Clarita business owners are encouraged to take the city's broadband feasibility study online survey and participate in the next phase of the study -- in-person focus groups scheduled for October 30.
Oct. 30: Focus Groups in Next Phase of City Broadband Study
The $17 billion "California WaterFix" project reached a tipping point Tuesday after a Silicon Valley water district voted against Gov. Jerry Brown’s approach in favor of a less expensive, scaled-back version.
Silicon Valley Water Board Wants Delta Tunnels Downsized
Maryama, a band led by CalArts alumna Maryama Mirbagheri (Music MFA 17), was recently nominated for a 2017 Hollywood Music in Media Award in the World Music category.
Maryama Nominated for Hollywood Music in Media Award
The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, in response to President Trump’s recent decision to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, has declared Oct. 16-20 "DACA Advocacy Week."
California Community Colleges Ramp Up DACA Advocacy
COC and the Hart District will host the 2017 College & Career Fair in the college’s Honor Grove on Saturday, Oct. 21 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Oct. 21: 2017 College and Career Fair at COC
The College of the Canyons Art Gallery will showcase the work of Los Angeles-based painter Sheldon Figoten in a one-person exhibition of new paintings, “Light Fields,” opening Saturday, Oct. 28.
Oct. 28: Sheldon Figoten ‘Light Fields’ at COC Art Gallery
The Santa Clarita Artists Association held its 28th Annual Art Classic fine arts competition at William S. Hart Park's Hart Hall in Newhall on October 14.
Santa Clarita Artists Association Names Winners in 2017 Art Classic
Here is the Castaic-Val Verde Crime Information & Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for September 25 through October 1.
Crime Blotter: Arson, Burglary, Theft in Castaic-Val Verde
California and New Mexico launched a fresh challenge Tuesday against the Trump administration’s repeal of higher royalty payments to states for oil, gas and coal leases on public lands.
California, New Mexico Challenge White House Favors to Oil, Gas, Coal
Here is the Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) Crime Information & Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for the week of October 2 to October 8.
Crime Blotter: Burglary, Petty Theft in Stevenson Ranch
Here is the Canyon Country East (Zone 8) Crime Information and Public Safety report from the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station for September 24 through October 8, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Vehicle Theft, Burglary in Canyon Country East
CalArts Center for New Performance (CNP), the professional producing arm of California Institute of the Arts, opens Fantômas: Revenge of the Image at Wuzhen Theatre Festival in Wuzhen, China, on Oct. 19.
Oct. 19: CalArts’ Fantomas: Revenge of the Image Premieres in China
The CSUN women's golf team fired rounds of 306-309 and is in fourth place, just eight shots off the pace at the Pat Lesser Harbottle Seattle University Invitational at the Tacoma Country and Golf Club in Tacoma, WA.
CSUN Just Eight Shots Off Pace At Washington Invitational
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, Recreation, Community Services, Arts and Open Spaces Director Rick Gould announces retirement. Plus, the Board of Supervisors approve mental health care improvements. Check out these stories and more tonight on SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
The Advanced Technology Presentation about "Careers in the Making...Design, Engineering, Fabrication and More..." in celebration of National Manufacturing Day was a huge success.
SCV Students Gain Knowledge, Advice at National Manufacturing Day
A local company is expanding its footprint in the Santa Clarita Valley to accommodate business growth and another is relocating a division of its company from Sylmar.
Accurate Freight Systems Expands, Leases Space at IAC Commerce Center
The Domestic Violence Center (DVC) of Santa Clarita Valley is accepting applications for Adopt-a-Family 2017.
DVC of SCV Currently Accepting Adopt-a-Family 2017 Applications
Major Impact Theater, founded by Jill Garson and Shawnda Davis in 2014, is a non-profit theater group that specially adapts plays for performance by adults with disabilities in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Nov. 4: Major Impact Theater Presents Blunderland
California State University, Northridge will make history on Thursday, Oct. 26, by becoming the first California State University with a Sustainability Center.
Oct. 26: CSUN to Open Sustainability Center
Registration for the Purple Walk of Strength is now open.
Oct. 21: Purple Walk of Strength to Benefit Domestic Violence Center
Raising a child is a demanding job for any parent, especially when supportive resources seem to be elusive or nonexistent.
Oct. 22: CSUN Hosts Special Needs Resource Fair
College of the Canyons dominated its match vs. Bakersfield College from start to finish on Friday night, resulting in a 5-1 victory over the Renegades for the Cougars' first conference win of the season.
COC Gets First Conference Win of Season Against Bakersfield College
RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Following a two-week layoff, College of the Canyons cross country was back in competition on Saturday, running with a mix of community college and Division I programs at the Sixth Annual UC Riverside Highlander Invitational.
COC Cross Country Back in Competition After Two Week Layoff
The race to qualify for the Big West Conference Men's Soccer Tournament continues for CSUN this week with a home match against UC Riverside Wednesday night before the Matadors head to UC Irvine Saturday.
Oct. 18: CSUN Faces Off Against UC Riverside