Clear
Clear

December 10
1941 - Three days after Pearl Harbor attack, 165th and 185th Infantry Regiments assigned to Saugus; Edison power substation guarded 24/7 [timeline]

lacopublichealth

Update: “We’re doing remodeling, cleaning up over a violation we got from our Health Department here. They’re doing strict work — good, good for the community, good for the business owners,” said Carlos Lopez, manager of the La Cocina Bar and Grill’s Seco Canyon Road location.

“We got caught with a couple cockroaches in the storage area, one in the ceiling. Nothing we couldn’t do. We have merchandise on a daily basis coming in, fresh food, fresh everything. We got the issue addressed, we got it (taken) care of, doing our best. Now, taken a negative deal into a positive. Decided to do some upgrades in the kitchen, knockdown some walls, remodel a little bit. Do a full thorough clean of the the establishment.”

Lopez said the restaurant should reopen Friday.

“There’s no vermin. There’s not rats, There’s no anything,” he said. “I would be more than glad to show you around our facility.”

The notice of closure, taped to the window of the 28022 Seco Canyon Rd. La Cocina location, was effective Sept. 1.

Calls to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health have not been returned.

The Notice of Closure sign was no longer posted as of Sept. 3.

The second La Cocina location, at 28076 Bouquet Canyon Rd., is not affected.

A third La Cocina is being constructed on Golden Valley Road and Sierra Highway.

La-Cocina-Closure

1. They found one cockroach…..that’s it.

2. Nayeli Parks Nayeli Parks says:

Heather Flebbe Liliana Pinto

3. Dar Jones Dar Jones says:

Found one…but where there is one; there are many 👀

Better to be safe and close to do pest maintenance

4. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

Hmmmm. ONLY one? Wonder who ate the rest….

5. Liza Uriarte Bill Uriarte

6. Sandra Carreno Angela Bistrain look

7. Katie Mitchell I saw this last night, i prefer the other location on Bouquet thankfully :)

8. Maria Lopez Maria Lopez says:

Sonia Torres lol wont be going there

9. Omg Pablo Huerta donde trabajaba tio lo cerraron

10. Jose Jr Castrellon Jennifer Castrellon Mando Valles

11. Where there is 1 there are hundreds more hiding .

12. Yvette Gonzalez your moms favorite Jamie Nudie

13. Have you ever heard of ONE ROACH? these pests hide from the sunlight and from people so if a health inspector saw ONE during the day imagine how it is at night when its dark and no one is there? One female roach can lay 500 eggs! 😨😷

14. Anonymous says:

Gil Castro

15. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

16. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

17. Ry B-stad Ry B-stad says:

Michael Jay Solis sound familiar?!

18. Would the health department really close for just 1?

19. Gayle Vogel Gayle Vogel says:

They’ll get the place exterminated. Those cockroaches can come in on grocery bags, etc. Probably on a delivery. It happens. It’ll be fixed.

20. Angie Nonenmacher And that’s why I don’t eat there! Unclean

21. There goes many people’s spot

22. Denise Dickinson Julie Dickinson Brad Dickinson

23. Emily Egan Emily Egan says:

Melanie Fessinger Dulce Jeannette

24. Nancy Hanks, a most read.

25. Haha and this place is always packed even though it’s Mexican food for gringos.

26. i thought a convenience/gas station was being put it in at sierra and golden which is bad enough but certainly don’t need a restaurant there. It is too residential area to place a restaurant in the middle of.

• Diaz Czar Diaz Czar says:

Wtf does that have to do with shutting die the best place in Santa Clarita! 😂

• First, thanks for feeling the need to curse at a total stranger. Second, did you read the article? If you had and put your reading comprehension skills to use, you would have realized I was referring to the part in the article where it mentions the new location La Cocina is building. Third, if you truly feel that La Cocina is the best place in town, then may I suggest you expand your culinary travels of the city. We have plenty of fine restaurants where you will be served more than dressed up taco bell. And lastly, the restaurant was never shut die it was shut DOWN or temporarily closed. The article mentions they are already making the necessary repairs.

• Edgar Merino Edgar Merino says:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 👆🏼Omg that was just too funny! Well put Heidi !

• Tanya Parker Tanya Parker says:

At least the GVH teachers will have a close place to eat!

27. Emily Hart Emily Hart says:

Jennifer Chappell Stroud Dawn Baber John Chappell Kyle Stroud Zack Stroud

28. Hugo Torres Hugo Torres says:

David De La Torre !! Where we gonna get good micheladas at ??!!

29. Vanessa Campos is that where we went?????

30. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

That is so nasty, Kitty there is never just one, get a grip there is never just one they hide in the dark there is always in infestation of roaches. Rats or roaches they are both nasty and they need to be shut down thats what they get for not been clean. Maybe other restaunts need to learn to stay clean so they won’t be shut down.

• Until you have the truth or an educated answer stop! Your sounding rediculous!

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

How am I suppose to be rediculouse when it state why it was shut down and everyone else is making comments on the post also. If people want to have a an restaurant they need to keep the places clean thats partly why the Health Departments come out an inspect and give letter Grades. So how am I been rediculous. Read what SCVTV put and maybe you will understand what people are saying negative things. U need to learn to educate yourself. People can get sick like that.

• Susan Taylor Susan Taylor says:

Sorry Eddie, but if you’re going to call someone out for sounding “rediculous” Spell check “ridiculous” and then use the correct form of the word “your” vs “you’re” otherwise you too sound ridiculous.

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

See Eddie I can spell just like you and it does look ridiculous lol. Thank you Susan for correcting it.

31. Suzie Acosta Suzie Acosta says:

This place is awful anyways. 😑🔫

32. I guess I will be able to get a good parking spot now….😳

33. Liberty Padre Madison Megna

34. I know huh?? Well the beer comes straight from the tap!!

35. Uh oh. Christin DeMaio Gillis

36. Casey Bassett Lisa Juliana this is nooooo bueno!!

37. Kim Aholt Kim Aholt says:

I always wondered why they kept it so dark in there.

38. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Devon Caddy AManda Ruby Villalobos

39. Kristina Dubberke where are you going to eat now???

40. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

They should’ve called John Taffer of Bar Rescue.

41. Maria Gomez Maria Gomez says:

Ewwwww
    Im glad I didn’t frequent the place. I think I went there twice.

42. Stephanie Anderson 😭😭😭😭😭

43. Vanessa Guevara Danielle Renee Guevara Cindy Guevara Baca

44. Cesar Cap Cesar Cap says:

Sandra Andrews 😨😖

45. That place is DISGUSTING!

You couldn’t pay me to eat there ! 👎🏻

46. Kerin Kray Kerin Kray says:

I know Joyce, I saw this. Yuck! That’s my kids and my favorite :(( hopefully it’s not as bad as everyone thinks and will be extra clean after this. Ugggg!

47. Trevor Thordarson Mandi Thordarson

48. that explains the 55 minute wait at Plum Canyon

49. To all of you saying “eeww” etc.. Best place to eat in Santa Clarita it’s called HOME. Yes your own kitchen..

50. Tray White Tray White says:

Apparently no one has ever worked in food service. EVERY restaurant has some type of pest……yes even Mastro’s

51. Francisco Herrera Luis Moya

52. connor says:

POR QUEEEEEEE?!????!

53. Nooooooo!!! Jesse Patterson

54. Lea Garcia Lea Garcia says:

Jessica Tondreau Hannah Marckley Sandra Jane Simonet Stephanie Berke Courtney Belsheim Devin Ebert

55. Mary Tondreau Leo Tondreau Stephanie Alfaro Hobbs

56. Ah a little cock roach adds some protein 😎

57. Lance Cardey Lance Cardey says:

As long as it isn’t Las Delicias, we’re good

58. Susan Krieg Yamaoka. EWWWW!

59. Marie Bliss Marie Bliss says:

While we’re on the subject of Mexican food. We moved here not too long ago and are looking for a really good Mexican food restaurant. That’s our favorite food. Any recommendations?

60. Heather Hessing Christopher Garcia

61. Natalia JaureguiLiinda Dominguez whhhaaaatt!!!!!

62. Tara Tara Plum kc Kc Plum

63. The location on bouquet is gonna be extra busy now

64. Liza Zaydes Liza Zaydes says:

Lindsey Linares 🙀

65. Taylor Erranova Danny Irving

66. Lourdes Wan Leon sabe algo?

67. Steve Reich Steve Reich says:

I thought my black beans were moving on my plate lol

68. Jim Nygren Jim Nygren says:

Keith H. Moore Richard E. Espinoza

69. Kelly Miller Kelly Miller says:

No Debra Bach this seco we are at bouquet.

70. I always thought of vermin as mice/rats. Either way it will probably be super clean now.

71. Why people are so mean, people love the food there for years, is just one incident and everyone is talking about, all the places are the same, love the place and I’ll keep going when they reopen, stay home if your houses are so clean

72. This can & does happen a lot in the restaurant business. Where there is food, there are rodents, vermin etc. Its not like they found vermin in the food. I’m sure you have all had experiences with some type of unwelcome visitor in your home, i.e. Ants, roaches, mice, rats, etc. The best time to eat at La Cocina will be when they are able to open their doors back up. Guaranteed the varmints are gone for a while.

73. Soo glad I never liked this place & ate there only once & never went back. Ugh!!

74. Sergio Gomez Sergio Gomez says:

What do you think give food the flavor? Now its going to suck

75. Steven Smith Steven Smith says:

Kyle Stroud Darian White Emily Hart

76. Health department shouldn’t have to tell you to quit being dirty bastards! That’s a cop out statement! Cockroaches primarily come from the sewer system! Meaning where ever they walk so is the poop! Make sure plumbing tight! And look at shipments to the store! Although not likely the cause………… a place to look.

77. well let me know when it reopens for I could go back

78. They anticipate opening tomorrow but that is not for sure

79. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

Overrated food, but good

80. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

I’m sorry, but they need to do more than remodel. I loved going here to hang out with friends….until more than once they served me a salad that ran brown water…..c’mon!

81. Celeste Campos Sandra Reynosa WTH!?

82. Never liked this place anyway

83. This does it for me, I have never eaten there but with this violation, that makes my decision a “no way”. I can’t stomach knowing there was roaches!!! Sorry.

84. Never been a big fan of LA Cocina. That’s why we go to Maria Bonitas

85. We usually go to their other la Cocina up off rye canyon and bouquet because this one is so crowded, but now I’m wondering what kind of bugs they might have in the other location ! Yuk !!!

86. Really, you get closed down over a couple of roaches……its gotta be more than that?

87. I can’t imagine one restaurant out here or anywhere that does not have something wrong. They will get it cleaned up and all will be fine once again. It is a good restaurant that has been in business for a long time. Of course all the people that say they will never go back again will make for a shorter wait time!! That is a good thing!!

88. Gabby Brooks Gabby Brooks says:

Kenna Marie Brooks Elijah Brooks

89. Taking down every “Bar & Grill” restaurant at a time….SCV is no fun! 😂😂😂 One of my favorites was Tilted Kilt until it closed because it wasn’t “Family Oriented”.

90. Vermin are not cockroaches !!! Vermin means rats !!! We are not stupid, dont treat us like we don’t understand the meaning of vermin !!

91. For crying out loud people! They serve and store food. Critters are attracted to food. Its not my favorite but my hubby loves it and will be right back when they reopen. It’s a family run small business that has good food and great prices. Stop being so critical! I’m sure it will be cleaner then ever once reopened.

92. Cockroaches are not vermin. This is looks more like a rat issue.

93. Jeff Cherry Jeff Cherry says:

Carlos I’ll be back that’s for damn sure

94. Holy Crap!!!! Deuel and Hunter.

95. Will be back soon! Excellent Food As Always.

96. Carrie Hall Carrie Hall says:

Omg. That’s crazy.

97. They won’t shut u down for a couple of roaches .. It must of been an on going roach problem…. Never been there…. and I will never go for sure …

98. Omg. I always eat there

99. Anyone know how long they have been closed..??

100. My other post was deleted not sure why all I said was that there food is in no way authentic or good . And it takes a lot for it to be be closed down this is just nasty

101. Stacy Hartmann , maybe you already saw it?

102. I never just seen a couple cockroaches.. If there’s one there’s a million !!

103. Rich N Winni Rich N Winni says:

Ahh man I’m gonna miss their rat burritos!

104. Still best Mexican food in SCV! Great when they reopen maybe it won’t be as crowded – you nay sayers stay away!

105. We haven’t gone there in a long time – long waits, questionable dishes, etc.. We won’t be back either after seeing this. And, yes we have been multiple times to this location as well as the other off Bouquet/Plum Canyon too.

106. Cockroaches, rats, mice, fleas, lice, bedbugs, etc – any pests or nuisance animals that are hard to control are all considered vermin! Google it if you don’t believe me.

107. Rosy Selena Bloom Vanessa Bloom

108. Marina Telles – you are incorrect cockroaches are considered vermin

109. my son and his friend were there last week….there was a piece of metal that looked like a paper clip in their chips!!!!! Doubt he will ever go back.

110. The name is La Cockroacha?? Oh no

111. Sonia – don’t you really like this place?

112. Typical SC restaurants…. Lame

113. Ed Montoya Ed Montoya says:

Yeah right, couple of cockroaches! When it reopens it should be called “La Cochina”

114. Anonymous says:

Omgggg!

115. If you are doing some remodeling try and make this place a lot bigger and put some more lights in there it intends to be a little bit to dark..

116. Tamara Haley. did you see this?

117. Bahahaha oopies! Natasha Ford

118. Carlos G. Castillo yummy

119. All kinds if RATS run through there

120. Noooooo!!!!😱😱 I need my cadilacs sooo good drinks

121. The Health Department will shut down for just one Roach that is dead on the floor, cause the pest control company did its job! They are sometimes very crazy and unpredictable! This closing is such a non-issue, and I feel it unfortunate and unfair that SCV TV has nothing better than this to report on! This type of negative exposure can only hurt a reputable business! If the rest of you want to believe that you wouldn’t eat at a restaurant with Roaches then you should never go out to eat again, because every restaurant has them at some point!

122. I was just there last week Eww

123. Everyone loves your place.

124. Hang in there LaCo!!!!!! We’ll be right there waiting for doors to open!

125. Carol Rast Carol Rast says:

Omg went there tonight and they were closed. Thought they were doing some deep cleaning but I guess not

126. Fernando Ballesteros your spot

127. William Reel William Reel says:

Small town problem LOL Where WILL I get my taco?!!!

128. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Well now maybe I can get a table without having to wait two hours! :)

129. Teresa Moran Teresa Moran says:

Too much competition haters !!! If u been a hit everyone will be back 😜

130. Joanna Ochoa Joanna Ochoa says:

Never liked the food here anyways. To bad there is no real Mexican food restaurant here in SCV

131. They were caught having Vermin in the kitchen, not cockroaches !!! RATS!!

132. Terrible food ! Not the best in SCV,that’s for sure

133. It’s a great restaurant run by people that take a lot of pride in their business …. Granted they can’t keep an eye on everything and everyone, but if something is ever wrong with your food they will more than compensate and rectify with their staff ….. Their food is beyond authentic and they test and serve their dishes at home first.
    …. Not many restaurant owners like them …. Very hands on!

134. Tom Clark Tom Clark says:

You can always pick out what you don’t want to eat and set it aside .

135. Mike Faretta Mike Faretta says:

Get a life people you will find roaches in every fu#&ing restaurant

136. I still crave that place, 8-years later :)

137. Hubert Cheng Hubert Cheng says:

Alyssa Gaudioso this wont stop me

138. Glad it wasn’t the one on Bouquet. It’s one of our favorite places to eat. Did you know there’s an “acceptable” amount of vermin in the ratings?

139. Michael koontz says:

I’ve eaten there before and I will eat there again. Who cares?

The National Weather Service has extended its Red Flag Warning of extreme fire danger for coastal and valley areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties through Monday at 8 p.m.
Fire Danger Warning Extended to Monday Night
The Rye Fire is 93 percent contained and the Creek Fire is 95 percent contained, according to a Sunday evening update from CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Rye Fire 93 Percent Contained, Creek Fire Nearly Out
Derelict since the 1994 earthquake, the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall was the first productive oil refinery in the American West and is believed to be the oldest existing refinery in the world today. Unfunded restoration plans have come and gone. Now that the surrounding property is under development, will the promises be kept?
Gate-King and the Pioneer | Commentary by Leon Worden
The Thomas Fire raged in Ventura County and west into Santa Barbara County Sunday, forcing evacuations as the blaze threatened coastal communities of Carpinteria and Montecito and moved inland into the Los Padres National Forest.
Thomas Fire Threatens Coastal Ventura, Santa Barbara County
Retired Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputy and former Newhall School Board member Mike Shapiro's home in Ojai was destroyed by the Thomas fire, which broke out Monday, December 4 and has scorched 173,000 acres as of Sunday morning.
Thomas Fire Levels Ojai Home of Ex-SCV Deputy, NSD Board Member
1983 - U.S. release of John Carpenter's "Christine;" blew up fake gas station in Valencia [watch scene (R)]
CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department updated residents on the status of the Rye Fire and Creek Fire, as well as evacuation locations and road closures as of Friday at 6 p.m.
Rye Fire 50 Percent Contained, Creek Fire 70 Percent Contained
A death investigation is under way at the Crescent Valley Mobile Home Park at 23500 The Old Road in Newhall, according to Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station Sgt. Chris Maurizi.
Detectives Investigating Woman’s ‘Suspicious’ Death at Mobile Home Park
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies offer advice about package theft during the holiday season and how residents can avoid becoming a victim of the "porch pirate."
SCV Sheriff’s Station: ‘Do Not be a Victim of the Porch Pirate’
A National Memorial designation for St. Francis Dam will honor those who lost their lives in the nation’s worst engineering disaster and the role it played in ushering in a new era of oversight for dam construction.
Remembering the St. Francis Dam Disaster | Guest Commentary
The ARTree is looking for fully clothed models for its Drawing Group, and offers to pay each model $30 per session.
ARTree Seeks Fully Clothed Models for Drawing Group
College of the Canyons finished just short of reaching its first state final game when the Cougars women's volleyball team lost to eventual-state champion Irvine Valley College in a heartbreaking five-set result.
COC Falls to Irvine Valley in State Semi-Finals
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, December 12, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Dec. 12: L.A. County Board of Supervisors Meeting Agenda
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced that 15 films in the Documentary Feature category will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards.
15 Documentary Features Advance in 2017 Oscar Race
Mustang junior Benjamin Tembo was named a third-team National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics All-American this week after leading the Golden State Athletic Conference in every offensive category including game-winning goals with six.
TMU’s Tembo Tabbed One of Nation’s Best Soccer Players
Morgan Koch of The Master's University women's volleyball team earned an honorable mention in the NAIA All-American rankings, the seventh straight season TMU has earned at least an honorable mention.
Morgan Koch Keeps TMU Volleyball All-American Streak Alive
Jasmine Parada has added another top honor to her collection -- the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics picked her among its best of the year.
TMU’s Parada Picked as 2nd-Team All-American
Inmate visiting at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic has been canceled for this weekend due to a long-term power outage at the Visitor Center.
Pitchess Center Cancels Inmate Visits This Weekend
Starting Monday night, Caltrans will create new temporary lanes on southbound Interstate 5, part of a $171 million freeway repaving project in and near the city of Santa Clarita.
New Lane Pattern on I-5 Starts Monday Night in SCV
United Way of Greater Los Angeles has set up the Southern California Wildfire Fund to help victims of these fires rebuild their lives.
United Way Sets Up Funds for Fire Victims
The tragedy of the deaths of 29 horses burned by the Creek Fire at a ranch in Sylmar has caused extensive public concern, and the L.A. County Department of Animal Care and Control urges horse owners to have an evaculation plan.
County Animal Care Responds to Horse Deaths in Sylmar
Half a dozen wildfires across Southern California continued to burn Friday morning, but firefighters made progress overnight in a week fraught with massive evacuations, highway and school closures and the loss of more than 50 horses.
Wildfires Scorch Homes, Horses Across Southern California
U.S. Air Force Airman Anthony Kuhn, son of Dianne and Joe Kuhn of Santa Clarita, has graduated from basic military training at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, San Antonio, Texas.
Learning Post Alum Anthony Kuhn Graduates Air Force Basic Training
1941 - Julius Dietzmann family of Castaic arrested as German enemy aliens [story]
LOS ANGELES, CA – Assessor Jeffrey Prang urges homeowners and owners of other property damaged or destroyed by the recent wildfires to seek tax relief.
County Assessor Urges Homeowners Affected by Fires to Seek Tax Relief
The Castaic Lake Water Agency's Financial and Operations Committee will hold a meeting Thursday, Dec. 14, at 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 14: CLWA’s Financial, Operations Committee Meeting
LOS ANGELES—The County of Los Angeles Probation Department activated its Departmental Operations Center in response to the fires across the Southland.
Probation Department Monitoring Fires Around Juvenile Camps, Including Those in SCV
LONG BEACH, Calif. — The tragedy of the deaths of 29 horses burned by the Creek Fire at a ranch in Sylmar has caused extensive public concern.
Animal Control Issues Statement on Horse Deaths During Creek Fire
With improved air quality, travel conditions and weather forecasts for the area surrounding CSUN, the campus will be open and operational Friday.
CSUN Back in Session Friday
On Wednesday, at approximately 7:45 a.m., Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies responded to the 25200 block of De Wolfe Road, Newhall, regarding a man with a gun and domestic disturbance call.
More than 140 Firearms Found in Newhall Home of Barricaded Suspect
On Thursday, December 14, from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., the city of Santa Clarita and the American Red Cross are partnering to provide a Community Blood Drive.
Dec. 14: Community Blood Drive at City Hall
The city of Santa Clarita has been recognized by the American Public Works Association (APWA) with two prestigious Public Works awards.
City’s Environmental, Transportation Projects Lauded at Public Works Awards
LONG BEACH, Calif. — The Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) continues to rescue animals and provide safe sheltering for animals as a result of the active fires that have affected thousands of Los Angeles County residents.
County Animal Care, Control Shelters More Than 180 Animals Amid LA Fires