Partly sunny
Partly sunny

July 21
1952 - 7.5-magnitude Kern County earthquake devastates Tehachapi; damage spread from San Diego to Las Vegas [story]

lacopublichealth

Update: “We’re doing remodeling, cleaning up over a violation we got from our Health Department here. They’re doing strict work — good, good for the community, good for the business owners,” said Carlos Lopez, manager of the La Cocina Bar and Grill’s Seco Canyon Road location.

“We got caught with a couple cockroaches in the storage area, one in the ceiling. Nothing we couldn’t do. We have merchandise on a daily basis coming in, fresh food, fresh everything. We got the issue addressed, we got it (taken) care of, doing our best. Now, taken a negative deal into a positive. Decided to do some upgrades in the kitchen, knockdown some walls, remodel a little bit. Do a full thorough clean of the the establishment.”

Lopez said the restaurant should reopen Friday.

“There’s no vermin. There’s not rats, There’s no anything,” he said. “I would be more than glad to show you around our facility.”

The notice of closure, taped to the window of the 28022 Seco Canyon Rd. La Cocina location, was effective Sept. 1.

Calls to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health have not been returned.

The Notice of Closure sign was no longer posted as of Sept. 3.

The second La Cocina location, at 28076 Bouquet Canyon Rd., is not affected.

A third La Cocina is being constructed on Golden Valley Road and Sierra Highway.

La-Cocina-Closure

1. They found one cockroach…..that’s it.

2. Nayeli Parks Nayeli Parks says:

Heather Flebbe Liliana Pinto

3. Dar Jones Dar Jones says:

Found one…but where there is one; there are many 👀

Better to be safe and close to do pest maintenance

4. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

Hmmmm. ONLY one? Wonder who ate the rest….

5. Liza Uriarte Bill Uriarte

6. Sandra Carreno Angela Bistrain look

7. Katie Mitchell I saw this last night, i prefer the other location on Bouquet thankfully :)

8. Maria Lopez Maria Lopez says:

Sonia Torres lol wont be going there

9. Omg Pablo Huerta donde trabajaba tio lo cerraron

10. Jose Jr Castrellon Jennifer Castrellon Mando Valles

11. Where there is 1 there are hundreds more hiding .

12. Yvette Gonzalez your moms favorite Jamie Nudie

13. Have you ever heard of ONE ROACH? these pests hide from the sunlight and from people so if a health inspector saw ONE during the day imagine how it is at night when its dark and no one is there? One female roach can lay 500 eggs! 😨😷

14. Anonymous says:

Gil Castro

15. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

16. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

17. Ry B-stad Ry B-stad says:

Michael Jay Solis sound familiar?!

18. Would the health department really close for just 1?

19. Gayle Vogel Gayle Vogel says:

They’ll get the place exterminated. Those cockroaches can come in on grocery bags, etc. Probably on a delivery. It happens. It’ll be fixed.

20. Angie Nonenmacher And that’s why I don’t eat there! Unclean

21. There goes many people’s spot

22. Denise Dickinson Julie Dickinson Brad Dickinson

23. Emily Egan Emily Egan says:

Melanie Fessinger Dulce Jeannette

24. Nancy Hanks, a most read.

25. Haha and this place is always packed even though it’s Mexican food for gringos.

26. i thought a convenience/gas station was being put it in at sierra and golden which is bad enough but certainly don’t need a restaurant there. It is too residential area to place a restaurant in the middle of.

• Diaz Czar Diaz Czar says:

Wtf does that have to do with shutting die the best place in Santa Clarita! 😂

• First, thanks for feeling the need to curse at a total stranger. Second, did you read the article? If you had and put your reading comprehension skills to use, you would have realized I was referring to the part in the article where it mentions the new location La Cocina is building. Third, if you truly feel that La Cocina is the best place in town, then may I suggest you expand your culinary travels of the city. We have plenty of fine restaurants where you will be served more than dressed up taco bell. And lastly, the restaurant was never shut die it was shut DOWN or temporarily closed. The article mentions they are already making the necessary repairs.

• Edgar Merino Edgar Merino says:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 👆🏼Omg that was just too funny! Well put Heidi !

• Tanya Parker Tanya Parker says:

At least the GVH teachers will have a close place to eat!

27. Emily Hart Emily Hart says:

Jennifer Chappell Stroud Dawn Baber John Chappell Kyle Stroud Zack Stroud

28. Hugo Torres Hugo Torres says:

David De La Torre !! Where we gonna get good micheladas at ??!!

29. Vanessa Campos is that where we went?????

30. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

That is so nasty, Kitty there is never just one, get a grip there is never just one they hide in the dark there is always in infestation of roaches. Rats or roaches they are both nasty and they need to be shut down thats what they get for not been clean. Maybe other restaunts need to learn to stay clean so they won’t be shut down.

• Until you have the truth or an educated answer stop! Your sounding rediculous!

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

How am I suppose to be rediculouse when it state why it was shut down and everyone else is making comments on the post also. If people want to have a an restaurant they need to keep the places clean thats partly why the Health Departments come out an inspect and give letter Grades. So how am I been rediculous. Read what SCVTV put and maybe you will understand what people are saying negative things. U need to learn to educate yourself. People can get sick like that.

• Susan Taylor Susan Taylor says:

Sorry Eddie, but if you’re going to call someone out for sounding “rediculous” Spell check “ridiculous” and then use the correct form of the word “your” vs “you’re” otherwise you too sound ridiculous.

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

See Eddie I can spell just like you and it does look ridiculous lol. Thank you Susan for correcting it.

31. Suzie Acosta Suzie Acosta says:

This place is awful anyways. 😑🔫

32. I guess I will be able to get a good parking spot now….😳

33. Liberty Padre Madison Megna

34. I know huh?? Well the beer comes straight from the tap!!

35. Uh oh. Christin DeMaio Gillis

36. Casey Bassett Lisa Juliana this is nooooo bueno!!

37. Kim Aholt Kim Aholt says:

I always wondered why they kept it so dark in there.

38. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Devon Caddy AManda Ruby Villalobos

39. Kristina Dubberke where are you going to eat now???

40. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

They should’ve called John Taffer of Bar Rescue.

41. Maria Gomez Maria Gomez says:

Ewwwww
    Im glad I didn’t frequent the place. I think I went there twice.

42. Stephanie Anderson 😭😭😭😭😭

43. Vanessa Guevara Danielle Renee Guevara Cindy Guevara Baca

44. Cesar Cap Cesar Cap says:

Sandra Andrews 😨😖

45. That place is DISGUSTING!

You couldn’t pay me to eat there ! 👎🏻

46. Kerin Kray Kerin Kray says:

I know Joyce, I saw this. Yuck! That’s my kids and my favorite :(( hopefully it’s not as bad as everyone thinks and will be extra clean after this. Ugggg!

47. Trevor Thordarson Mandi Thordarson

48. that explains the 55 minute wait at Plum Canyon

49. To all of you saying “eeww” etc.. Best place to eat in Santa Clarita it’s called HOME. Yes your own kitchen..

50. Tray White Tray White says:

Apparently no one has ever worked in food service. EVERY restaurant has some type of pest……yes even Mastro’s

51. Francisco Herrera Luis Moya

52. connor says:

POR QUEEEEEEE?!????!

53. Nooooooo!!! Jesse Patterson

54. Lea Garcia Lea Garcia says:

Jessica Tondreau Hannah Marckley Sandra Jane Simonet Stephanie Berke Courtney Belsheim Devin Ebert

55. Mary Tondreau Leo Tondreau Stephanie Alfaro Hobbs

56. Ah a little cock roach adds some protein 😎

57. Lance Cardey Lance Cardey says:

As long as it isn’t Las Delicias, we’re good

58. Susan Krieg Yamaoka. EWWWW!

59. Marie Bliss Marie Bliss says:

While we’re on the subject of Mexican food. We moved here not too long ago and are looking for a really good Mexican food restaurant. That’s our favorite food. Any recommendations?

60. Heather Hessing Christopher Garcia

61. Natalia JaureguiLiinda Dominguez whhhaaaatt!!!!!

62. Tara Tara Plum kc Kc Plum

63. The location on bouquet is gonna be extra busy now

64. Liza Zaydes Liza Zaydes says:

Lindsey Linares 🙀

65. Taylor Erranova Danny Irving

66. Lourdes Wan Leon sabe algo?

67. Steve Reich Steve Reich says:

I thought my black beans were moving on my plate lol

68. Jim Nygren Jim Nygren says:

Keith H. Moore Richard E. Espinoza

69. Kelly Miller Kelly Miller says:

No Debra Bach this seco we are at bouquet.

70. I always thought of vermin as mice/rats. Either way it will probably be super clean now.

71. Why people are so mean, people love the food there for years, is just one incident and everyone is talking about, all the places are the same, love the place and I’ll keep going when they reopen, stay home if your houses are so clean

72. This can & does happen a lot in the restaurant business. Where there is food, there are rodents, vermin etc. Its not like they found vermin in the food. I’m sure you have all had experiences with some type of unwelcome visitor in your home, i.e. Ants, roaches, mice, rats, etc. The best time to eat at La Cocina will be when they are able to open their doors back up. Guaranteed the varmints are gone for a while.

73. Soo glad I never liked this place & ate there only once & never went back. Ugh!!

74. Sergio Gomez Sergio Gomez says:

What do you think give food the flavor? Now its going to suck

75. Steven Smith Steven Smith says:

Kyle Stroud Darian White Emily Hart

76. Health department shouldn’t have to tell you to quit being dirty bastards! That’s a cop out statement! Cockroaches primarily come from the sewer system! Meaning where ever they walk so is the poop! Make sure plumbing tight! And look at shipments to the store! Although not likely the cause………… a place to look.

77. well let me know when it reopens for I could go back

78. They anticipate opening tomorrow but that is not for sure

79. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

Overrated food, but good

80. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

I’m sorry, but they need to do more than remodel. I loved going here to hang out with friends….until more than once they served me a salad that ran brown water…..c’mon!

81. Celeste Campos Sandra Reynosa WTH!?

82. Never liked this place anyway

83. This does it for me, I have never eaten there but with this violation, that makes my decision a “no way”. I can’t stomach knowing there was roaches!!! Sorry.

84. Never been a big fan of LA Cocina. That’s why we go to Maria Bonitas

85. We usually go to their other la Cocina up off rye canyon and bouquet because this one is so crowded, but now I’m wondering what kind of bugs they might have in the other location ! Yuk !!!

86. Really, you get closed down over a couple of roaches……its gotta be more than that?

87. I can’t imagine one restaurant out here or anywhere that does not have something wrong. They will get it cleaned up and all will be fine once again. It is a good restaurant that has been in business for a long time. Of course all the people that say they will never go back again will make for a shorter wait time!! That is a good thing!!

88. Gabby Brooks Gabby Brooks says:

Kenna Marie Brooks Elijah Brooks

89. Taking down every “Bar & Grill” restaurant at a time….SCV is no fun! 😂😂😂 One of my favorites was Tilted Kilt until it closed because it wasn’t “Family Oriented”.

90. Vermin are not cockroaches !!! Vermin means rats !!! We are not stupid, dont treat us like we don’t understand the meaning of vermin !!

91. For crying out loud people! They serve and store food. Critters are attracted to food. Its not my favorite but my hubby loves it and will be right back when they reopen. It’s a family run small business that has good food and great prices. Stop being so critical! I’m sure it will be cleaner then ever once reopened.

92. Cockroaches are not vermin. This is looks more like a rat issue.

93. Jeff Cherry Jeff Cherry says:

Carlos I’ll be back that’s for damn sure

94. Holy Crap!!!! Deuel and Hunter.

95. Will be back soon! Excellent Food As Always.

96. Carrie Hall Carrie Hall says:

Omg. That’s crazy.

97. They won’t shut u down for a couple of roaches .. It must of been an on going roach problem…. Never been there…. and I will never go for sure …

98. Omg. I always eat there

99. Anyone know how long they have been closed..??

100. My other post was deleted not sure why all I said was that there food is in no way authentic or good . And it takes a lot for it to be be closed down this is just nasty

101. Stacy Hartmann , maybe you already saw it?

102. I never just seen a couple cockroaches.. If there’s one there’s a million !!

103. Rich N Winni Rich N Winni says:

Ahh man I’m gonna miss their rat burritos!

104. Still best Mexican food in SCV! Great when they reopen maybe it won’t be as crowded – you nay sayers stay away!

105. We haven’t gone there in a long time – long waits, questionable dishes, etc.. We won’t be back either after seeing this. And, yes we have been multiple times to this location as well as the other off Bouquet/Plum Canyon too.

106. Cockroaches, rats, mice, fleas, lice, bedbugs, etc – any pests or nuisance animals that are hard to control are all considered vermin! Google it if you don’t believe me.

107. Rosy Selena Bloom Vanessa Bloom

108. Marina Telles – you are incorrect cockroaches are considered vermin

109. my son and his friend were there last week….there was a piece of metal that looked like a paper clip in their chips!!!!! Doubt he will ever go back.

110. The name is La Cockroacha?? Oh no

111. Sonia – don’t you really like this place?

112. Typical SC restaurants…. Lame

113. Ed Montoya Ed Montoya says:

Yeah right, couple of cockroaches! When it reopens it should be called “La Cochina”

114. Anonymous says:

Omgggg!

115. If you are doing some remodeling try and make this place a lot bigger and put some more lights in there it intends to be a little bit to dark..

116. Tamara Haley. did you see this?

117. Bahahaha oopies! Natasha Ford

118. Carlos G. Castillo yummy

119. All kinds if RATS run through there

120. Noooooo!!!!😱😱 I need my cadilacs sooo good drinks

121. The Health Department will shut down for just one Roach that is dead on the floor, cause the pest control company did its job! They are sometimes very crazy and unpredictable! This closing is such a non-issue, and I feel it unfortunate and unfair that SCV TV has nothing better than this to report on! This type of negative exposure can only hurt a reputable business! If the rest of you want to believe that you wouldn’t eat at a restaurant with Roaches then you should never go out to eat again, because every restaurant has them at some point!

122. I was just there last week Eww

123. Everyone loves your place.

124. Hang in there LaCo!!!!!! We’ll be right there waiting for doors to open!

125. Carol Rast Carol Rast says:

Omg went there tonight and they were closed. Thought they were doing some deep cleaning but I guess not

126. Fernando Ballesteros your spot

127. William Reel William Reel says:

Small town problem LOL Where WILL I get my taco?!!!

128. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Well now maybe I can get a table without having to wait two hours! :)

129. Teresa Moran Teresa Moran says:

Too much competition haters !!! If u been a hit everyone will be back 😜

130. Joanna Ochoa Joanna Ochoa says:

Never liked the food here anyways. To bad there is no real Mexican food restaurant here in SCV

131. They were caught having Vermin in the kitchen, not cockroaches !!! RATS!!

132. Terrible food ! Not the best in SCV,that’s for sure

133. It’s a great restaurant run by people that take a lot of pride in their business …. Granted they can’t keep an eye on everything and everyone, but if something is ever wrong with your food they will more than compensate and rectify with their staff ….. Their food is beyond authentic and they test and serve their dishes at home first.
    …. Not many restaurant owners like them …. Very hands on!

134. Tom Clark Tom Clark says:

You can always pick out what you don’t want to eat and set it aside .

135. Mike Faretta Mike Faretta says:

Get a life people you will find roaches in every fu#&ing restaurant

136. I still crave that place, 8-years later :)

137. Hubert Cheng Hubert Cheng says:

Alyssa Gaudioso this wont stop me

138. Glad it wasn’t the one on Bouquet. It’s one of our favorite places to eat. Did you know there’s an “acceptable” amount of vermin in the ratings?

139. Michael koontz says:

I’ve eaten there before and I will eat there again. Who cares?

The L.A. County Superior Court on July 17 sided with Los Angeles County and dismissed a portion of Chiquita Canyon LLC's complaint, which challenged 13 conditions of the county's conditional use permit governing how the landfill operates, Supervisor Kathryn Barger announced Friday.
Court: Chiquita Landfill Must Comply with CUP, Pay County $12 Mil.
Four men allegedly stole a van and crashed it at Cinema Drive and Valencia Boulevard late Friday afternoon, breaking gas and water lines and snarling rush-hour traffic in the center of the city.
Suspected Van Thieves Crash, Rupture Gas, Water Lines in Valencia
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has announced $4,518,000 in two-year grants to 216 nonprofit arts organizations through its Organizational Grant Program, and the Santa Clarita Philharmonic Orchestra and the Santa Clarita Shakespeare Festival are among the grantees.
Santa Clarita Philharmonic, Shakespeare Festival Win County Arts Grants
The Santa Clarita Valley Water Agency's board of directors voted in its Tuesday meeting to revise its per-diem payment policy for board members attending industry-related meetings and conferences.
SCV Water Board Trims Own Meeting Attendance Pay
College of the Canyons men's basketball player Robert Moss will continue his playing career at University of Saint Katherine after committing to join the Firebirds program.
COC Hoopster Robert Moss Commits to University of Saint Katherine
When wives earn more than their husbands, a puzzling thing can happen: Husbands say they earn more than they are and wives underreport their income, according to new Census Bureau research.
Census Research: Spouses Report Earnings Differently When Wives Earn More
Responding to a booming economy and a generous state budget, administrators on Thursday approved the first tuition decrease for the University of California system in nearly 20 years.
University of California Cuts Tuition for First Time in 20 Years
The William S. Hart Union High School District and Spirit Holding, developers of Castaic High School, will host a community kick-off event on Friday, Aug. 3, from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. celebrating the one-year countdown to the grand opening of the new school, currently under construction.
Aug. 3: ‘Countdown to Castaic High’ Public Celebration
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, July 24, starting at 9:30 a.m.
July 24: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a Heat Alert for Monday, July 23 and Tuesday, July 24, as high temperatures have been forecast for the Santa Clarita Valley.
SCV Heat Alert Called for Monday, Tuesday
The Lancaster JetHawks jumped out to a 4-0 lead, but two late home runs from Stockton's Sandber Pimentel led the Ports to victory in a 5-4 final on Thursday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Lancaster Can’t Stop Pimentel, Ports
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and Department of Justice have made public the government's plan for the court-ordered reunification of children ages 5 years and older who were separated from their parents by immigration authorities.
Feds Detail Plan to Reunite Immigrant Children with Parents
2001 - Then-Assemblyman George Runner introduces legislation to memorialize the historic Ridge Route. Enacted Oct. 4. [story]
During a press conference on Thursday at the Gerdau steel mill in Rancho Cucamonga, Chief Eric Parra announced the destruction of 3,566 weapons confiscated within in Los Angeles County. This event comes typically in July, in compliance with California Penal Code 18005(c), which calls for weapons unable to be sold to the public or returned to their owners, to be destroyed.
More than 3,500 Weapons Destroyed at Annual Destruction Event
The Summer Art Festival, at the Oaks Club of Valencia, invites you to a fun, free artists’ reception on Saturday, Aug. 11, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Aug. 11: Summer Art Festival at Oaks Club
When you think "Advanced Manufacturing," Santa Clarita Valley probably isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
SCV Paves the Way for Advanced Manufacturing
(CN) – Delivering a blow to a Silicon Valley billionaire, the California Supreme Court on Wednesday erased a November ballot measure proposing to divide the Golden State in three.
State Supreme Court Tosses Ballot Measure to Split California in Three
Internationally famous Doña Oxford aka “The Goddess of Soul,” is fronting one of the hottest Blues bands of the 21st century. She has toured all over the world, bringing her amazing keyboard playing and vocals to devoted fans in Europe, Japan, Canada and the United States.
July 20: Valencia Jazz & Blues Series to Feature Doña Oxford
No business is immune from the unthinkable. Workplace violence is an increasingly important topic for organizations of all types.
Aug. 21: Active Shooter Awareness Training at VIA Luncheon
St. Kateri Tekakwitha Parish Church is holding their 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show Friday, Aug. 24 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.
Aug. 24: St. Kateri 2nd Annual Summer Night Car Show
The Los Angeles County Homeless Initiative and Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority on Thursday launched the Los Angeles Homeless Outreach Portal, dubbed LA-HOP, the new Countywide Web-based portal that channels outreach support to people experiencing homelessness.
County Launches Online Portal to Combat Homelessness
LOS ANGELES - Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) announced Tuesday the company is now offering $75 rebates for residential customers who purchase eligible Energy Star certified smart thermostats that help residents manage their heating and cooling costs and conserve energy.
SoCal Gas Offering Rebates for Customers with Smart Thermostats
STOCKTON – Brian Serven put together one of his best offensive performances of the season to lead the JetHakwks to a 7-2 to win over the Stockton Ports on Wednesday night at Banner Island Ballpark.
Serven Leads JetHawks to Victory in Series Opener Against Stockton
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Brad Renison to become the new Director of Transportation. Most recently, Mr. Renison has been serving as the Interim Director of Transportation.
Hart District Names Brad Renison New Transportation Director
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Manny Machado from the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for Rylan Bannon, Yusniel Díaz, Dean Kremer, Zach Pop and Breyvic Valera.
Dodgers Acquire 4-Time All-Star Manny Machado
The William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board voted unanimously to approve the appointment of Dr. Catherine Nicholas to become the new principal of Sequoia School.
Hart District Appoints Dr. Catherine Nicholas as New Sequoia School Principal
Welcome to paradise at a high-energy, live show coming up in Santa Clarita’s Concerts in the Park series, presented by Logix Federal Credit Union, this Saturday, July 21, at 7:00 p.m., in Central Park (27150 Bouquet Canyon Road).
July 21: Concerts in the Park to Feature Green Day Tribute Band
SCV Sheriff's Crime Prevention Unit deputies and station detectives have noted an increase in the thefts of catalytic converters from cars in Santa Clarita Valley. The favored target of thieves has been the Toyota Prius (2005-2009).
Deputies Warn of Rise in Catalytic Converter Thefts from Prius Cars
LOS ANGELES – According to the South Coast Air Quality Management District, air quality will be unhealthy Thursday for sensitive individuals in San Gabriel Valley, Santa Clarita Valley and Antelope Valley.
Air Quality Advisory Issued for SCV
Would you like to be a volunteer at beautiful Red Rock Canyon State Park? Learn about the volunteer program and the park’s natural and cultural history at our two-day volunteer training, Saturdays, Sept. 1st and 8th from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at the Ricardo Visitor Center (new volunteers must attend both days).
Red Rock Canyon State Park to Hold 2-Day Volunteer Training
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) announces the scheduled closure of the Tejon Safety Roadside Rest Areas on Interstate 5 (Golden State Freeway) to replace a water main line.
Caltrans Announces Temporary Rest Area Closure on I-5 at Tejon
1924 - Sherman Block, L.A. County's 29th Sheriff (1982-1998), born in Chicago [story]
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies have arrested a Santa Clarita woman who allegedly spray-painted walls on a city park building in Saugus early Tuesday morning, also discovering she was allegedly in possession of forged checks.
Woman Charged with Defacing Park Building, Check Forgery
The Paramount Network has set Aug. 11 as the premiere date of 'I Am Paul Walker,' a new film documentary tracing the life of the late actor, who was killed in a 2013 car crash in Valencia.
Aug. 11: Paul Walker Film Doc to Debut on Paramount Network
Marston's Restaurant in Valencia is helping raise funds for Carousel Ranch, Santa Clarita Valley nonprofit organization that provides equestrian therapy for disabled and special needs children and adults.
July 15-Aug. 15: Marston’s Restaurant Fundraising for Carousel Ranch