Partly cloudy
Partly cloudy
March 17
1927 - Newhall telephone exchange, est. 1900, now serves 100 phones [story]

Update: “We’re doing remodeling, cleaning up over a violation we got from our Health Department here. They’re doing strict work — good, good for the community, good for the business owners,” said Carlos Lopez, manager of the La Cocina Bar and Grill’s Seco Canyon Road location.

“We got caught with a couple cockroaches in the storage area, one in the ceiling. Nothing we couldn’t do. We have merchandise on a daily basis coming in, fresh food, fresh everything. We got the issue addressed, we got it (taken) care of, doing our best. Now, taken a negative deal into a positive. Decided to do some upgrades in the kitchen, knockdown some walls, remodel a little bit. Do a full thorough clean of the the establishment.”

Lopez said the restaurant should reopen Friday.

“There’s no vermin. There’s not rats, There’s no anything,” he said. “I would be more than glad to show you around our facility.”

The notice of closure, taped to the window of the 28022 Seco Canyon Rd. La Cocina location, was effective Sept. 1.

Calls to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health have not been returned.

The Notice of Closure sign was no longer posted as of Sept. 3.

The second La Cocina location, at 28076 Bouquet Canyon Rd., is not affected.

A third La Cocina is being constructed on Golden Valley Road and Sierra Highway.

1. They found one cockroach…..that’s it.

2. Nayeli Parks Nayeli Parks says:

Heather Flebbe Liliana Pinto

3. Dar Jones Dar Jones says:

Found one…but where there is one; there are many 👀

Better to be safe and close to do pest maintenance

4. Lorena Sands Lorena Sands says:

Hmmmm. ONLY one? Wonder who ate the rest….

5. Liza Uriarte Bill Uriarte

6. Sandra Carreno Angela Bistrain look

7. Katie Mitchell I saw this last night, i prefer the other location on Bouquet thankfully :)

8. Maria Lopez Maria Lopez says:

Sonia Torres lol wont be going there

9. Omg Pablo Huerta donde trabajaba tio lo cerraron

10. Jose Jr Castrellon Jennifer Castrellon Mando Valles

11. Where there is 1 there are hundreds more hiding .

12. Yvette Gonzalez your moms favorite Jamie Nudie

13. Have you ever heard of ONE ROACH? these pests hide from the sunlight and from people so if a health inspector saw ONE during the day imagine how it is at night when its dark and no one is there? One female roach can lay 500 eggs! 😨😷

14. Anonymous says:

Gil Castro

15. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

16. Jen Marlow Jen Marlow says:

Tifane Bosstick 😁

17. Ry B-stad Ry B-stad says:

Michael Jay Solis sound familiar?!

18. Would the health department really close for just 1?

19. Gayle Vogel Gayle Vogel says:

They’ll get the place exterminated. Those cockroaches can come in on grocery bags, etc. Probably on a delivery. It happens. It’ll be fixed.

20. Angie Nonenmacher And that’s why I don’t eat there! Unclean

21. There goes many people’s spot

22. Denise Dickinson Julie Dickinson Brad Dickinson

23. Emily Egan Emily Egan says:

Melanie Fessinger Dulce Jeannette

24. Nancy Hanks, a most read.

25. Haha and this place is always packed even though it’s Mexican food for gringos.

26. i thought a convenience/gas station was being put it in at sierra and golden which is bad enough but certainly don’t need a restaurant there. It is too residential area to place a restaurant in the middle of.

• Diaz Czar Diaz Czar says:

Wtf does that have to do with shutting die the best place in Santa Clarita! 😂

• First, thanks for feeling the need to curse at a total stranger. Second, did you read the article? If you had and put your reading comprehension skills to use, you would have realized I was referring to the part in the article where it mentions the new location La Cocina is building. Third, if you truly feel that La Cocina is the best place in town, then may I suggest you expand your culinary travels of the city. We have plenty of fine restaurants where you will be served more than dressed up taco bell. And lastly, the restaurant was never shut die it was shut DOWN or temporarily closed. The article mentions they are already making the necessary repairs.

• Edgar Merino Edgar Merino says:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 👆🏼Omg that was just too funny! Well put Heidi !

• Tanya Parker Tanya Parker says:

At least the GVH teachers will have a close place to eat!

27. Emily Hart Emily Hart says:

Jennifer Chappell Stroud Dawn Baber John Chappell Kyle Stroud Zack Stroud

28. Hugo Torres Hugo Torres says:

David De La Torre !! Where we gonna get good micheladas at ??!!

29. Vanessa Campos is that where we went?????

30. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

That is so nasty, Kitty there is never just one, get a grip there is never just one they hide in the dark there is always in infestation of roaches. Rats or roaches they are both nasty and they need to be shut down thats what they get for not been clean. Maybe other restaunts need to learn to stay clean so they won’t be shut down.

• Until you have the truth or an educated answer stop! Your sounding rediculous!

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

How am I suppose to be rediculouse when it state why it was shut down and everyone else is making comments on the post also. If people want to have a an restaurant they need to keep the places clean thats partly why the Health Departments come out an inspect and give letter Grades. So how am I been rediculous. Read what SCVTV put and maybe you will understand what people are saying negative things. U need to learn to educate yourself. People can get sick like that.

• Susan Taylor Susan Taylor says:

Sorry Eddie, but if you’re going to call someone out for sounding “rediculous” Spell check “ridiculous” and then use the correct form of the word “your” vs “you’re” otherwise you too sound ridiculous.

• Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

See Eddie I can spell just like you and it does look ridiculous lol. Thank you Susan for correcting it.

31. Suzie Acosta Suzie Acosta says:

This place is awful anyways. 😑🔫

32. I guess I will be able to get a good parking spot now….😳

33. Liberty Padre Madison Megna

34. I know huh?? Well the beer comes straight from the tap!!

35. Uh oh. Christin DeMaio Gillis

36. Casey Bassett Lisa Juliana this is nooooo bueno!!

37. Kim Aholt Kim Aholt says:

I always wondered why they kept it so dark in there.

38. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

Devon Caddy AManda Ruby Villalobos

39. Kristina Dubberke where are you going to eat now???

40. Eric Baker Eric Baker says:

They should’ve called John Taffer of Bar Rescue.

41. Maria Gomez Maria Gomez says:

Im glad I didn’t frequent the place. I think I went there twice.

42. Stephanie Anderson 😭😭😭😭😭

43. Vanessa Guevara Danielle Renee Guevara Cindy Guevara Baca

44. Cesar Cap Cesar Cap says:

Sandra Andrews 😨😖

45. That place is DISGUSTING!

You couldn’t pay me to eat there ! 👎🏻

46. Kerin Kray Kerin Kray says:

I know Joyce, I saw this. Yuck! That’s my kids and my favorite :(( hopefully it’s not as bad as everyone thinks and will be extra clean after this. Ugggg!

47. Trevor Thordarson Mandi Thordarson

48. that explains the 55 minute wait at Plum Canyon

49. To all of you saying “eeww” etc.. Best place to eat in Santa Clarita it’s called HOME. Yes your own kitchen..

50. Tray White Tray White says:

Apparently no one has ever worked in food service. EVERY restaurant has some type of pest……yes even Mastro’s

51. Francisco Herrera Luis Moya

52. connor says:

POR QUEEEEEEE?!????!

53. Nooooooo!!! Jesse Patterson

54. Lea Garcia Lea Garcia says:

Jessica Tondreau Hannah Marckley Sandra Jane Simonet Stephanie Berke Courtney Belsheim Devin Ebert

55. Mary Tondreau Leo Tondreau Stephanie Alfaro Hobbs

56. Ah a little cock roach adds some protein 😎

57. Lance Cardey Lance Cardey says:

As long as it isn’t Las Delicias, we’re good

58. Susan Krieg Yamaoka. EWWWW!

59. Marie Bliss Marie Bliss says:

While we’re on the subject of Mexican food. We moved here not too long ago and are looking for a really good Mexican food restaurant. That’s our favorite food. Any recommendations?

60. Heather Hessing Christopher Garcia

61. Natalia JaureguiLiinda Dominguez whhhaaaatt!!!!!

62. Tara Tara Plum kc Kc Plum

63. The location on bouquet is gonna be extra busy now

64. Liza Zaydes Liza Zaydes says:

Lindsey Linares 🙀

65. Taylor Erranova Danny Irving

66. Lourdes Wan Leon sabe algo?

67. Steve Reich Steve Reich says:

I thought my black beans were moving on my plate lol

68. Jim Nygren Jim Nygren says:

Keith H. Moore Richard E. Espinoza

69. Kelly Miller Kelly Miller says:

No Debra Bach this seco we are at bouquet.

70. I always thought of vermin as mice/rats. Either way it will probably be super clean now.

71. Why people are so mean, people love the food there for years, is just one incident and everyone is talking about, all the places are the same, love the place and I’ll keep going when they reopen, stay home if your houses are so clean

72. This can & does happen a lot in the restaurant business. Where there is food, there are rodents, vermin etc. Its not like they found vermin in the food. I’m sure you have all had experiences with some type of unwelcome visitor in your home, i.e. Ants, roaches, mice, rats, etc. The best time to eat at La Cocina will be when they are able to open their doors back up. Guaranteed the varmints are gone for a while.

73. Soo glad I never liked this place & ate there only once & never went back. Ugh!!

74. Sergio Gomez Sergio Gomez says:

What do you think give food the flavor? Now its going to suck

75. Steven Smith Steven Smith says:

Kyle Stroud Darian White Emily Hart

76. Health department shouldn’t have to tell you to quit being dirty bastards! That’s a cop out statement! Cockroaches primarily come from the sewer system! Meaning where ever they walk so is the poop! Make sure plumbing tight! And look at shipments to the store! Although not likely the cause………… a place to look.

77. well let me know when it reopens for I could go back

78. They anticipate opening tomorrow but that is not for sure

79. Tank Franz Tank Franz says:

Overrated food, but good

80. Judi Jordan Judi Jordan says:

I’m sorry, but they need to do more than remodel. I loved going here to hang out with friends….until more than once they served me a salad that ran brown water…..c’mon!

81. Celeste Campos Sandra Reynosa WTH!?

82. Never liked this place anyway

83. This does it for me, I have never eaten there but with this violation, that makes my decision a “no way”. I can’t stomach knowing there was roaches!!! Sorry.

84. Never been a big fan of LA Cocina. That’s why we go to Maria Bonitas

85. We usually go to their other la Cocina up off rye canyon and bouquet because this one is so crowded, but now I’m wondering what kind of bugs they might have in the other location ! Yuk !!!

86. Really, you get closed down over a couple of roaches……its gotta be more than that?

87. I can’t imagine one restaurant out here or anywhere that does not have something wrong. They will get it cleaned up and all will be fine once again. It is a good restaurant that has been in business for a long time. Of course all the people that say they will never go back again will make for a shorter wait time!! That is a good thing!!

88. Gabby Brooks Gabby Brooks says:

Kenna Marie Brooks Elijah Brooks

89. Taking down every “Bar & Grill” restaurant at a time….SCV is no fun! 😂😂😂 One of my favorites was Tilted Kilt until it closed because it wasn’t “Family Oriented”.

90. Vermin are not cockroaches !!! Vermin means rats !!! We are not stupid, dont treat us like we don’t understand the meaning of vermin !!

91. For crying out loud people! They serve and store food. Critters are attracted to food. Its not my favorite but my hubby loves it and will be right back when they reopen. It’s a family run small business that has good food and great prices. Stop being so critical! I’m sure it will be cleaner then ever once reopened.

92. Cockroaches are not vermin. This is looks more like a rat issue.

93. Jeff Cherry Jeff Cherry says:

Carlos I’ll be back that’s for damn sure

94. Holy Crap!!!! Deuel and Hunter.

95. Will be back soon! Excellent Food As Always.

96. Carrie Hall Carrie Hall says:

Omg. That’s crazy.

97. They won’t shut u down for a couple of roaches .. It must of been an on going roach problem…. Never been there…. and I will never go for sure …

98. Omg. I always eat there

99. Anyone know how long they have been closed..??

100. My other post was deleted not sure why all I said was that there food is in no way authentic or good . And it takes a lot for it to be be closed down this is just nasty

101. Stacy Hartmann , maybe you already saw it?

102. I never just seen a couple cockroaches.. If there’s one there’s a million !!

103. Rich N Winni Rich N Winni says:

Ahh man I’m gonna miss their rat burritos!

104. Still best Mexican food in SCV! Great when they reopen maybe it won’t be as crowded – you nay sayers stay away!

105. We haven’t gone there in a long time – long waits, questionable dishes, etc.. We won’t be back either after seeing this. And, yes we have been multiple times to this location as well as the other off Bouquet/Plum Canyon too.

106. Cockroaches, rats, mice, fleas, lice, bedbugs, etc – any pests or nuisance animals that are hard to control are all considered vermin! Google it if you don’t believe me.

107. Rosy Selena Bloom Vanessa Bloom

108. Marina Telles – you are incorrect cockroaches are considered vermin

109. my son and his friend were there last week….there was a piece of metal that looked like a paper clip in their chips!!!!! Doubt he will ever go back.

110. The name is La Cockroacha?? Oh no

111. Sonia – don’t you really like this place?

112. Typical SC restaurants…. Lame

113. Ed Montoya Ed Montoya says:

Yeah right, couple of cockroaches! When it reopens it should be called “La Cochina”

114. Anonymous says:

115. If you are doing some remodeling try and make this place a lot bigger and put some more lights in there it intends to be a little bit to dark..

116. Tamara Haley. did you see this?

117. Bahahaha oopies! Natasha Ford

118. Carlos G. Castillo yummy

119. All kinds if RATS run through there

120. Noooooo!!!!😱😱 I need my cadilacs sooo good drinks

121. The Health Department will shut down for just one Roach that is dead on the floor, cause the pest control company did its job! They are sometimes very crazy and unpredictable! This closing is such a non-issue, and I feel it unfortunate and unfair that SCV TV has nothing better than this to report on! This type of negative exposure can only hurt a reputable business! If the rest of you want to believe that you wouldn’t eat at a restaurant with Roaches then you should never go out to eat again, because every restaurant has them at some point!

122. I was just there last week Eww

123. Everyone loves your place.

124. Hang in there LaCo!!!!!! We’ll be right there waiting for doors to open!

125. Carol Rast Carol Rast says:

Omg went there tonight and they were closed. Thought they were doing some deep cleaning but I guess not

126. Fernando Ballesteros your spot

127. William Reel William Reel says:

Small town problem LOL Where WILL I get my taco?!!!

128. Kathe Rich Kathe Rich says:

Well now maybe I can get a table without having to wait two hours! :)

129. Teresa Moran Teresa Moran says:

Too much competition haters !!! If u been a hit everyone will be back 😜

130. Joanna Ochoa Joanna Ochoa says:

Never liked the food here anyways. To bad there is no real Mexican food restaurant here in SCV

131. They were caught having Vermin in the kitchen, not cockroaches !!! RATS!!

132. Terrible food ! Not the best in SCV,that’s for sure

133. It’s a great restaurant run by people that take a lot of pride in their business …. Granted they can’t keep an eye on everything and everyone, but if something is ever wrong with your food they will more than compensate and rectify with their staff ….. Their food is beyond authentic and they test and serve their dishes at home first.
    …. Not many restaurant owners like them …. Very hands on!

134. Tom Clark Tom Clark says:

You can always pick out what you don’t want to eat and set it aside .

135. Mike Faretta Mike Faretta says:

Get a life people you will find roaches in every fu#&ing restaurant

136. I still crave that place, 8-years later :)

137. Hubert Cheng Hubert Cheng says:

Alyssa Gaudioso this wont stop me

138. Glad it wasn’t the one on Bouquet. It’s one of our favorite places to eat. Did you know there’s an “acceptable” amount of vermin in the ratings?

139. Michael koontz says:

I’ve eaten there before and I will eat there again. Who cares?

1927 - Newhall telephone exchange, est. 1900, now serves 100 phones [story]
The 2018 SXSW Film Festival, which runs from March 9 to 18, announced its Jury and Special Award winners on Tuesday with CalArts alumni taking home some of the top prizes.
CalArtians Earn Juried Prizes at 2018 SXSW Film Festival
Santa Clarita Valley Boys & Girls Club "Youth of the Year" Lluvia Partida was among the young people vying for regional "Youth of the Year" honors at the annual County Alliance award ceremony Tuesday night.
County Boys and Girls Club Alliance Names 2 ‘Youth of the Year’ Honorees
Newhall School District administrators will host an information/enrollment meeting for families that may be affected by the possible closure of the Einstein Academy at Stevenson Ranch Elementary School on Wednesday, March 21, starting at 6:30 p.m.
March 21: Newhall School District Info Session for Einstein Families
The SCV Chamber of Commerce-sponsored NextSCV group for young business professionals ages 21-40 will tour Scorpion's new Valencia headquarters on Wednesday, March 28 starting at 5:30 p.m.
March 28: Young SCV Professionals to Tour Scorpion HQ
The Bureau of Land Management has made available for public review a draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement and draft Land Use Plan Amendment that aim to manage dispersed recreation visitation over an extensive area in the Mojave Desert.
BLM Issues EIR for Mohave Desert Use, Seeks Public Comment
The TMU Mustangs men's basketball team lost to Peru State College 106-104 in overtime at the NAIA Division 1 National Championship tournament opener in Kansas City Wednesday night.
TMU Men’s Hoops Team Upset by Peru State in First Round
Mustangs Stop UAV Pioneers in Their Tracks 8-4
After standing toe-to-toe with the perennial powerhouse Freed Hardeman Lions, the Mustangs didn't have enough left in the fourth quarter and fell 71-51 in the NAIA Women's National Tournament Wednesday.
Mustangs Fall to Freed Hardeman at Nationals
College of the Canyons starter Joy Veloz struck out nine batters and the Cougars pounded out 10 hits to defeat conference rival Antelope Valley College 7-2 at Whitten Field on Thursday.
COC Softball Team Claims 7-2 Victory Over Antelope Valley
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority has implemented a one-year pilot program to assist Metro-certified Small Business Enterprise, Disadvantaged Business Enterprise and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise firms secure sufficient bonding to work on Metro construction projects.
LA Metro Launches Program for Small, Disadvantaged, Veteran-Owned Firms
The Golden Oak Adult School will host its second annual Open House at the school on Tuesday, March 27 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
March 27: Golden Oak Adult School 2nd Annual Open House
The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a $2.7 million payment to the family of a man fatally shot by a sheriff's deputy in Santa Clarita on January 14, 2016.
Supes Settle Suit for Wrongful Death in Santa Clarita for $2.7 Million
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, March 20, starting at 9:30 a.m.
March 20: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
Local developer Pardee Homes will host a grand opening paw-ty for the new Dogwood Park dog park in the Aliento neighborhood of Canyon Country on Saturday, March 17 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
March 17: Dogwood Park Grand Opening Paw-ty in Canyon Country
The nonprofit Los Angeles County Animal Care Foundation will host a "Wild for Animals" benefit at Centre Pointe Plaza in Santa Clarita to raise funds for the Castaic Animal Care Center on Saturday, May 19 starting at 6 p.m.
May 19: ‘Wild for Animals’ Benefit for Castaic Shelter in Centre Pointe
2003 - Life-size sculpture honoring heroes of St. Francis Dam disaster unveiled in Santa Paula [video]
Campus Compact — a Boston based non-profit organization working to advance the public purposes of higher education — has announced the 268 students who will make up the 2018 cohort of Newman Civic Fellows. Among them is California State University, Northridge graduate student Lilia Gonzalez.
CSUN Grad Student Among 268 Awarded with Newman Civic Fellows
Academy Award-nominee, Angela Bassett will join Kathleen Battle as a guest narrator in Battle’s program Underground Railroad: A Spiritual Journey accompanied by pianist Joel Martin and the LA-based choir, The Albert McNeil Jubilee Singers at the Younes and Soraya Nazarian Center for the Performing Arts (The Soraya) on Thursday, March 29 at 8:00pm.
March 29: Angela Bassett Joins Kathleen Battle at The Soraya
The next Canyon Country Advisory Committee meeting will be held Wednesday, March 21, from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., at the Mint Canyon Moose Lodge Family Center Banquet Room, located at 18000 Sierra Highway, Canyon Country, 91351.
March 21: Canyon Country Advisory Committee Meeting
There are a few seats left in ARTree's Junior Arts Sampler (ages 5 - 7) and our Arts Sampler (ages 8 - 12) classes which start next week.
Seats Still Available for ARTree’s Arts Sampler
Confronted with a wide range of complex challenges to enrolling residents in need of food assistance in the CalFresh Program, the Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) has launched a comprehensive community outreach and education campaign to address the increasing threat of food insecurity in the most populated and culturally-diverse county in the nation.
CalFresh Launches Community Outreach to Reduce Food Insecurity
After clawing its way back to within a pair a runs, College of the Canyons couldn't get any closer, instead dropping a 17-9 decision to conference rival Citrus College at Cougar Field on Wednesday.
Canyons’ 9 Runs Not Enough to Hold Off Citrus College
Thanks to Senate Bill 85 the California State University (CSU) announced the distribution of more than $2 million across its 23 universities to support student success and the CSU Basic Needs Initiative.
CSU to Distribute $2.5 Million in Effort to Fight Student Hunger
The Santa Clarita City Council recognized the Salvation Army’s Santa Clarita Valley Corps at the Council’s meeting Tuesday night.
Salvation Army’s SCV Corps Lauded by City Council
The Santa Clarita City Council invites the public to attend a demolition event at the site of the future Canyon Country Community Center, located on the corner of Soledad Canyon Road and Sierra Highway, on Tuesday, March 20 at 10:30 a.m.
March 20: Demolition Event at New Canyon Country Community Center Site
Washington, DC - On Thursday, Rep. Steve Knight (R-CA) introduced H.R. 5307, The School Training, Equipment, and Protection (STEP) Act.
Knight Legislation to Implement Specific School Safety Measures
Recognizing California State University, Northridge’s strong commitment to regional economic development, CSUN has been named an Innovation and Economic Prosperity (IEP) University by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU).
CSUN Recognized as Innovation, Economic Prosperity University
Max Maitland hit a tie-breaking, two-run homer and the bullpen combined for over five innings of one-run ball as The Master's University doubled up the University of Antelope Valley 8-4 on a cloudy and cold Wednesday afternoon in Placerita Canyon.
Mustangs Improve to 17-10 with Win Against Antelope Valley
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. - Effective immediately, all Bureau of Land Management-managed public lands within the California Desert District shall be under Stage I restrictions and year-round fire restrictions. Recreational shooting restrictions applicable to the California Desert District, issued on May 26, 2017, have been terminated as of March 13, 2018.
Bureau of Land Management Now Under Year-Round Fire Restrictions
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Before Wednesday night's NAIA Division 1 National Championship tournament opener, Master's assistant coach Thomas Lowery and senior Lawrence Russell came to an understanding.
No. 1 Mustangs Knocked Out in First Round of NAIA Tourney
AlphaKidz International S.M.A.R.T. Academy is conducting a shoe drive fundraiser on March 19 to raise funds for their new school building.
March 19: AlphaKidz International Shoe Drive Fundraiser
The Santa Clarita community will once again show their support for a great non-profit, WiSH Education Foundation while sampling 44 chilis on Tuesday, March 20.
Tickets Still Available for 6th Annual Charity Chili Cook-Off
Princess Cruises announced a new culinary shore excursion program in collaboration with the number one food lifestyle brand, Bon Appétit, offering guests the opportunity to indulge in culinary experiences inspired by their surroundings while cruising to destinations around the globe.
Princess Cruises Partners With Bon Appétit
Valencia High School’s Jazz Choir Two N’ Four is ranked the best in the country.
Valencia High Choir Takes 1st Place in Monterey; Bests Schools Nationwide