June 24
1980 - Saugus Train Station relocated to Hart Park, Newhall [story]
Saugus Train Station

An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on southbound Highway 14 in the Acton area Tuesday night.

Harry Nalbandyan believes his truck was targeted because he was flying Armenian flags on the back to commemorate Tuesday’s 103rd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide in Europe, he told CBS Los Angeles television reporter Jasmine Viel outside his home Wednesday morning.

Bullets shattered the truck’s windows and one bullet grazed his neck and shoulder, as shards of glass from the shattered windows struck his sister Christina in the face, resulting in minor bleeding for both victims, Nalbandyan said.

Still at large as of noon Wednesday, the suspect was reportedly driving a silver Honda CRV, vintage 2006-2010, with tinted windows, and was described as in his 20s or 30s and having dark, curly hair.

“It is shocking that I’m alive,” Nalbandyan told Viel. “I can’t believe that I had eight shots fired at me and my sister. It was crazy. This maniac just came out of nowhere and started firing like he didn’t care about his life — just swerving in the lanes. He was just like a monster. He didn’t care about anything.”

Nalbandyan and his sister had left a birthday party for an uncle and were southbound on Highway 14 between Crown Valley Road and Sand Canyon Road when the shooting occurred.

“We were at Crown Valley, maybe five minutes from Santa Clarita. … And this guy comes and cuts me off,” Nalbandyan said. “I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is. This guy just looks into my eyes and pulls out a gun and starts shooting. Eight times. I was worried about my sister — the bullets were just flying across our face.

“I told my sister, ‘duck down,’ and she ducked down all the way,” he said. “I hit the brakes all the way and just let this guy get a lead, keep on going. And then I let other cars come by … So that’s how I got away from him. But after I hit the brakes, he was still firing. He didn’t care.”

Nalbandyan said he believed he was shot at because of the Armenian flags on his truck.

“There’s a lot of people who are hating on this, and we’re just going out and representing Armenia,” he said. “We’re never going to stop. We’re just going to keep on representing and showing people that they have to start caring, too. It’s not a joke.”

“The brother and sister went to their house and then called 911,” Officer Josh Greengard of the California Highway Patrol’s Newhall office said Wednesday about 12:10 p.m.

“We responded later, went to the scene, tried to pick up the pieces,” he said. “Our investigation team is out there right now, putting the pieces together.”

1. Hope they catch that person that’s attempted murder

2. Glad they are ok. Poor things. I hope they catch the shooter soon!

3. Out of control. What the heck is wrong with people

4. Trudy Trump says:

Glad they are ok this is totally f***k’d up…lawlessness on our roads and in communities is out of control

5. travis levy says:

Horrible what happened and glad you weren’t injured. It’s one thing to be proud of your heritage, I think we all are in our own way but if you can openly admit its upsetting people maybe its not worth losing your life over. Especially since it happened back in 1915 and not even on American soil. Glad your sister and you weren’t injured by that crazy person.

6. cBrow says:

I am glad they are both o.k. and that they survived this traumatic experience. Based on his own description, this was an incident of road rage, not racism. He says “… And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is.” I know it boils my blood when aggressive drivers cut me off or drive recklessly, however I try to let it go because someone cutting me off is not worth my life.

7. Cbrown says:

I am glad they are ok, and that they did not get seriously injured. However I dont think this was racially motivated based on the victims statement, it was road rage “And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is” there are too many angry people on the road, there isnt a justifiable reason to shoot at any person, when someone cuts you off or drives crazy just let them go.

8. Dan says:

Another moron who nearly throws the entire remainder of his life away by attempting to kill people he doesn’t even know, and without even any benefit other than getting his jollies. I’m happy that he wasn’t successful in even hitting Harry or his sister. What an idiot. Who raised this guy? They should be going to jail with him.

9. SCVTeam says:

There’s 2 sides to every story. I’m not surprised to say the least.

Friday, Jun 21, 2024
Supes Urge Newsom Not to Cut L.A. County Inmate Firefighting Crews
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger and Board of Supervisors Chair Lindsey Horvath have sent an open letter to Governor Gavin Newsom urging him to continue funding the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitations hand crews who currently help the Los Angeles County Fire Department tackle wildland fires.
Friday, Jun 21, 2024
Santa Clarita Now Accepting Project Proposals for Make A Difference Day
The city of Santa Clarita invites local schools and nonprofits to submit a proposal outlining a project that can benefit from volunteer support as part of Make A Difference Day on Saturday, Oct. 26.
Friday, Jun 21, 2024
June 25: City Council Meets on Open Space, Budget, Town Center Specific Plan
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a regular meeting on Tuesday, June 25 at 6 p.m. that includes a host of issues including assessments, taxes, fees and budgets in addition to continued hearings on the Town Center Specific Plan.

1980 - Saugus Train Station relocated to Hart Park, Newhall [story]
Saugus Train Station
1946, 11:20pm: William S. Hart, 81, dies at L.A.'s California Lutheran Hospital, leaving his Newhall estate and his (now West) Hollywood home to the public [story]
Hart dies
1972 - Vasquez Rocks added to National Register of Historic Places [list]
Vasquez Rocks
Supes Urge Newsom Not to Cut L.A. County Inmate Firefighting Crews
Give the gift of life, an upcoming blood drive is scheduled for Friday, June 28, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., at The Centre, 20880 Centre Pointe Parkway, Santa Clarita, CA 91350. The blood drive will be held in Cedar Hall.
June 28: City Hosts Blood Drive at The Centre
Santa Clarita Now Accepting Project Proposals for Make A Difference Day
June 25: City Council Meets on Open Space, Budget, Town Center Specific Plan
Part of the Summer Theatre Festival by Santa Clarita Shakespeare, "An Evening of Absurdity" will run July 12-21 at the MAIN, 24266 Main Street., Newhall, CA 91321.
The MAIN Presents ‘An Evening of Absurdity’
The city of Santa Clarita has issued a traffic advisory for daytime lane closures at Copper Hill and Rio Norte Drive beginning Monday, June 24.
June 24: Traffic Advisory Lane Closures Copper Hill/Rio Norte Drive
Santa Clarita will celebrate this year's Fourth of July with the Santa Clarita Valley Rotary Club's pancake breakfast, Santa Clarita Valley Parade Committee's Fourth of July Parade and city of Santa Clarita fireworks show.
Fourth of July Events in Santa Clarita
The California Department of Public Health is warning consumers not to eat, sell or serve any flavor of Diamond Shruumz brand chocolate bars, cones and gummies, which contain a proprietary mushroom blend. These products, known as microdose products, have led to multiple illnesses and hospitalizations in 16 states, including at least one poisoning in California.
California Public Health Warns Consumers About Diamond Shruumz Products
The Cube – Ice and Entertainment Center, Powered by FivePoint Valencia, will hold the inaugural Girls and Women’s Three-on-Three Hockey Tournament on Saturday, June 22.
June 22: The Cube Hosts Inaugural Girls, Women’s Hockey Tourney
Join Santa Clarita's oldest and largest running event, the 40th annual Independence Day Classic, Thursday July 4, from 7 a.m.- 10 a.m. at Newhall Memorial Park, 24933 Newhall Ave., Newhall, CA 91321.
July 4: Independence Day Classic
A special meeting of the William S. Hart Union High School District’s Governing Board will be held Wednesday, June 26, beginning at 8 a.m.
June 26: Hart District Governing Board Special Meeting
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) reports that the fast moving Post Fire that broke out in Gorman on Saturday, June 15 around 1:47 p.m. has reached 15,690 acres and is now 61% contained. This latest CAL FIRE update was issued at 7:44 a.m. on Friday, June 21.
Post Fire 61 Percent Contained, Pyramid Lake Remains Closed
For die-hard "The Love Boat" fans, the ultimate cruise experience just dropped anchor. Princess Cruises, which is headquartered in Santa Clarita, has announced an exclusive VIP package for its Love Boat themed cruise Aug. 32-Sept. 7 that promises intimate, up-close interactions with the show's beloved characters: Doc, Gopher, Isaac and Vicki Stubing.
Princess Cruises Offers ‘The Love Boat’ Celebration Cruise
The Valley Industry Association will host VIA Cocktails & Conversation: An Evening with CA State Assemblywoman Pilar Schiavo on Wednesday, July 10.
July 10: Cocktails & Conversation with Assemblywoman Pilar Schiavo
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody) [story]
Ernie Hickson
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) reports that the fast moving Post Fire that broke out in Gorman on Saturday, June 15 around 1:47 p.m. has reached 15,690 acres and is now 24% contained. This latest CAL FIRE update was issued at 7 a.m. on Thursday.
Post Fire 47 Percent Contained, Reported 15,690 Acres
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session Thursday, June 27, at 6 p.m., in the Carl Boyer Room at City Hall.
June 27: Arts Commission Study Session
Katherine Dyer has signed her national letter of intent to continue her swimming career at The Master's University.
Katherine Dyer Commits to TMU Swim Program
Every summer, Santa Clarita’s very own Central Park, located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road, transforms into a premiere venue for live musical performances where friends, families and neighbors come together to sing and dance the night away.
Jason Gibbs | Get Ready for Concerts in the Park Summer Soundtrack
California State University, Northridge's Trey Knight, Chase Mars and David Phillips, Jr. will compete at the 2024 United States Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore. beginning June 27.
Several Matadors Qualify for 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials