Cloudy
Cloudy

April 13
1935 - Gladys Carter convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of Frances Walker, of the Placerita Walkers [story]
Gladys Carter

An Arleta man and his sister are happy to be alive after another driver shot at their vehicle eight times on southbound Highway 14 in the Acton area Tuesday night.

Harry Nalbandyan believes his truck was targeted because he was flying Armenian flags on the back to commemorate Tuesday’s 103rd anniversary of the Armenian Genocide in Europe, he told CBS Los Angeles television reporter Jasmine Viel outside his home Wednesday morning.

Bullets shattered the truck’s windows and one bullet grazed his neck and shoulder, as shards of glass from the shattered windows struck his sister Christina in the face, resulting in minor bleeding for both victims, Nalbandyan said.

Still at large as of noon Wednesday, the suspect was reportedly driving a silver Honda CRV, vintage 2006-2010, with tinted windows, and was described as in his 20s or 30s and having dark, curly hair.

“It is shocking that I’m alive,” Nalbandyan told Viel. “I can’t believe that I had eight shots fired at me and my sister. It was crazy. This maniac just came out of nowhere and started firing like he didn’t care about his life — just swerving in the lanes. He was just like a monster. He didn’t care about anything.”

Nalbandyan and his sister had left a birthday party for an uncle and were southbound on Highway 14 between Crown Valley Road and Sand Canyon Road when the shooting occurred.

“We were at Crown Valley, maybe five minutes from Santa Clarita. … And this guy comes and cuts me off,” Nalbandyan said. “I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is. This guy just looks into my eyes and pulls out a gun and starts shooting. Eight times. I was worried about my sister — the bullets were just flying across our face.

“I told my sister, ‘duck down,’ and she ducked down all the way,” he said. “I hit the brakes all the way and just let this guy get a lead, keep on going. And then I let other cars come by … So that’s how I got away from him. But after I hit the brakes, he was still firing. He didn’t care.”

Nalbandyan said he believed he was shot at because of the Armenian flags on his truck.

“There’s a lot of people who are hating on this, and we’re just going out and representing Armenia,” he said. “We’re never going to stop. We’re just going to keep on representing and showing people that they have to start caring, too. It’s not a joke.”

“The brother and sister went to their house and then called 911,” Officer Josh Greengard of the California Highway Patrol’s Newhall office said Wednesday about 12:10 p.m.

“We responded later, went to the scene, tried to pick up the pieces,” he said. “Our investigation team is out there right now, putting the pieces together.”

1. Hope they catch that person that’s attempted murder

2. Glad they are ok. Poor things. I hope they catch the shooter soon!

3. Out of control. What the heck is wrong with people

4. Trudy Trump Trudy Trump says:

Glad they are ok this is totally f***k’d up…lawlessness on our roads and in communities is out of control

5. travis levy says:

Horrible what happened and glad you weren’t injured. It’s one thing to be proud of your heritage, I think we all are in our own way but if you can openly admit its upsetting people maybe its not worth losing your life over. Especially since it happened back in 1915 and not even on American soil. Glad your sister and you weren’t injured by that crazy person.

6. cBrow says:

I am glad they are both o.k. and that they survived this traumatic experience. Based on his own description, this was an incident of road rage, not racism. He says “… And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is.” I know it boils my blood when aggressive drivers cut me off or drive recklessly, however I try to let it go because someone cutting me off is not worth my life.

7. Cbrown says:

I am glad they are ok, and that they did not get seriously injured. However I dont think this was racially motivated based on the victims statement, it was road rage “And this guy comes and cuts me off, I just change my lane just to keep on going, just to pass him, but then this guy comes up next to me, rolls down his window, and I roll down my window just to see who he is” there are too many angry people on the road, there isnt a justifiable reason to shoot at any person, when someone cuts you off or drives crazy just let them go.

8. Dan says:

Another moron who nearly throws the entire remainder of his life away by attempting to kill people he doesn’t even know, and without even any benefit other than getting his jollies. I’m happy that he wasn’t successful in even hitting Harry or his sister. What an idiot. Who raised this guy? They should be going to jail with him.

9. SCVTeam says:

There’s 2 sides to every story. I’m not surprised to say the least.

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021
L.A. County Follows FDA, CDC Recommendation Pausing Use of J&J Vaccine
Out of an abundance of caution, Los Angeles County is following the recommendation of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to pause the use of Johnson & Johnson vaccine after reports that six women between the ages of 18 and 48 developed unusual types of blood clots 6 to 13 days after receiving the vaccine.
Tuesday, Apr 13, 2021
Santa Clarita Celebrates The Cube Grand Opening
After a roller coaster of a year, the Santa Clarita Valley’s skating community once again took to the ice to celebrate the grand opening of The Cube, the city of Santa Clarita’s newly rebranded ice rink.
Monday, Apr 12, 2021
April 15: L.A. County to Modify Health Officer Order to Align with State
Los Angeles County Public Health officials will modify the Health Officer Order on Thursday, April 15, to align with changes to the state Blueprint for a Safer Economy regarding indoor live events and performances, private events such as conferences, receptions and meetings, and private informal gatherings.

L.A. County Follows FDA, CDC Recommendation Pausing Use of J&J Vaccine
Santa Clarita Celebrates The Cube Grand Opening
Gladys Carter
April 15: L.A. County to Modify Health Officer Order to Align with State
Los Angeles County Public Health officials on Monday confirmed 3 new deaths and 411 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, as cases in the Santa Clarita Valley now total 27,482 since the pandemic began.
Monday COVID-19 Roundup: L.A. County Death Rate Higher for Men Than Women; SCV Cases Total 27,482
Show producers Jesse Collins, Stacey Sher, and Steven Soderbergh on Monday announced the all-star cast of presenters at the 93rd Oscars, which will air live on ABC on Sunday, April 25, at 5 p.m. PDT.
Academy Reveals All-Star Cast of Presenters for 93rd Oscars Telecast
The city of Santa Clarita’s Film Office has reported 10 productions filming in the Santa Clarita Valley aka "Hollywood North" the week of Monday, April 12-18, 2021
Now Filming in SCV: ‘Star Trek Picard,’ ‘Good Trouble,” 8 More Productions
College of the Canyons and Palmdale Oasis Park Recreation Center will begin operating as Los Angeles County-operated COVID-19 vaccination sites in the northern part of the county starting Monday, April 19.
L.A. County to Open Vaccination Sites at COC, in Palmdale; Magic Mountain Site to Close
As of Monday, Los Angeles County residents may apply for financial help to cover funeral expenses through FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program.
FEMA COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program Open to L.A. County Residents
In a 5-4 ruling late Friday night, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that California can’t restrict home-based religious gatherings such as prayer meetings and Bible groups.
U.S. Supreme Court Blocks California Restriction on In-Home Religious Gatherings
A consulting firm hired by the city to evaluate the feasibility of establishing a city public health department in Santa Clarita did “not find a compelling case to change the basic structure of public health regulation” in Santa Clarita, according to a 17-page report published Friday as part of the Santa Clarita City Council’s Tuesday meeting agenda.
Report: No Compelling Case for Santa Clarita City Public Health Department
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital will present to the Santa Clarita City Council Tuesday a hospital expansion plan to increase facilities by 200,000 square feet.
City Council to Weigh Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital Expansion Plan
The Santa Clarita Valley's COVID-19 vaccination rate has increased by about 5%, as 37% of residents 16 and older have received at least one dose of COVID-19 vaccine, according to data through April 4 published by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.
SCV COVID-19 Vaccination Rate Increases to 37%
1738 - Fr. Francisco Garcés born in Spain; came through SCV in 1776, found Tataviam fighting with Coastal Chumash, observed Santa Clara River flowing by night and dry by day despite the season being spring [story]
Garces statue
1987 - Ramona Chapel and Red Schoolhouse relocated to Heritage Junction [story]
Red Schoolhouse
1835 - Outlaw and Rocks/Park/High School namesake Tiburcio Vasquez born in Monterey, Calif. [story]
Tiburcio Vasquez
Nearly 100 people gathered in front of the highly anticipated Laemmle 7 in Newhall to officially open the theater to the Santa Clarita Valley community.
Laemmle Officially Opens in Old Town Newhall
The city of Santa Clarita Parks, Recreation and Community Services Commission recently met to receive an update from city staff about the status of the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall.
Parks Commissioners Asked to Advise on Pioneer Oil Refinery’s Future
A judge’s ruling this week dealt a setback to the Tejon Ranch Co.’s proposed 19,000-unit Centennial development project in the upper northwest corner of Los Angeles County.
Judge Halts Centennial Development Project in Tejon Ranch
The California Community College Athletic Trainers Association has named longtime athletic trainer, and current College of the Canyons associate athletic director, Chad Peters its 2021 Athletic Trainer of the Year.
Chad Peters Named CCCATA 2021 Athletic Trainer of the Year
Los Angeles County Public Health on Friday confirmed 48 new deaths and 752 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 27,432 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Friday COVID-19 Roundup: 27,432 Total SCV Cases; County Nears 5 Million Administered Doses
The Santa Clarita City Council Legislative Committee briefly met Thursday morning to recommend that the City Council oppose four pieces of state legislation that would expand the state’s land-use authority.
Council Committee Recommends Opposition to State Land-Use Bills
In an effort to provide kids across the Santa Clarita Valley with a safe place to play and learn over spring break while parents are working, the Boys & Girls Club of SCV holds an annual camp.
Boys & Girls Club Holds Spring Break Camp
In recognition of public safety dispatchers' services, the California Highway Patrol joins other law enforcement agencies to recognize National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week on April 11-17, 2021.
CHP to Honor Public Safety Dispatchers During National Public Safety Telecommunicators Week