Sunny
Sunny

December 12
1891 - Actor Buck Jones, a Placerita and Vasquez "regular," born in Indiana [story]

Take a Hike | Commentary by Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel
| Sunday, Jun 1, 2014

DianneErskineHellrigelIt’s the time of year when rattlesnakes start coming out and scaring the uninitiated hikers on the trail.

If you know what to do, there’s no need to be nervous. The more you know, the better prepared you’ll be on the trail, and the less likely you’ll end up with a bite.

All of the local rattlesnakes you see will be Southern Pacific rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes are part of a group of venomous snakes. They are predators that hunt small prey such as birds, mice, small rabbits and rats.

No matter what you’ve heard about rattlesnakes coming after someone and pursuing them, it’s not true. A rattlesnake would rather not tangle with a human. They become nasty, threatening and defensive when they feel threatened by one of us. If you poke them with a stick or throw a rock at them, they will coil and defend themselves. If you get close enough, they will strike at you.

And no matter how much beer you’ve had and how fast you think you are, the rattlesnake is faster. The largest group of people reporting to hospitals with rattlesnake bites are men aged 18-40 who have been drinking beer … and most of those bites are on or near the hand or wrist.

I repeat: You are not smart enough or fast enough to grab a rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes rarely bite unless they are provoked or feel threatened.

deh_rattlesnake-cmkudijaMy best advice is to stay clear of the snake. Don’t throw anything at it. Don’t dilly-dally. Just get out of there and away from it as soon as possible, and put as much distance as you can between yourself and the snake. You’ll see that the snake was also happy to avoid confrontation and will be gone when you are on your way back. And if you’re out on a hike, please refrain from drinking before you go. The beer will make you think you are smarter than you are. Save the beer for a post-hike treat when there are no snakes around.

Rattlesnakes are known for the titular noise they make. It comes from the “rattle” at the end of the tail. However, not all rattlesnakes will rattle. The rattle itself is brittle and can break off. Baby rattlesnakes have only a little button on the end of their tail and no rattles.

Rattlesnakes are also beginning to evolve away from making a rattling sound as a warning because too many of them die at the hands of humans when they rattle. So you might not always hear that familiar rattle.

The other way to make a quick identification is the triangular shape of the head. If the head is oval, it’s not a rattlesnake. Gopher snakes and rattlesnakes have similar markings to most people who do not know the snakes well.

Even though you might not like snakes, they play an important role in the ecosystem. They eat rodents … lots of them. You don’t want mice and rats running rampant all over the place, so just put up with a few snakes. Please don’t kill them. Not even the rattlers. If one is in your shed or backyard, call someone to come get it and make sure your children and animals are secure and far away. All snakes are an important link in the ecosystem, and you’ll probably be more in danger of the diseases that rodents carry than from getting a snake bite. And compared to cobras, rattlesnakes are considered demure.

If you happen to get bitten, get treated at the local hospital as soon as possible. Do NOT slit it open, do NOT suck out the venom, and do NOT apply a tourniquet. What you DO need to do is call 911 immediately for transport. Take a Sharpie pen and mark the time of the bite on the skin, and then mark the progression of the swelling and redness every 15 minutes. This will help the medical personnel determine how quickly the venom is traveling and the amount of venom that was in the bite.

Rattlesnake bites are rarely fatal. The most important thing is to get to a hospital quickly. You will need to be given the antivenom preferably within two hours after the bite. Recovery with quick antivenom therapy is 99 percent. Some rattlesnakes might deliver a lot of venom, some might deliver none, and in the case of juveniles, they will not be able to control how much they deliver.

If you or a friend are bitten by a rattlesnake, remain calm, retreat away from the snake, and arrange for transportation to a hospital as soon as possible. Call 911 as soon as you can. Loosen all clothing and remove anything that might restrict blood flow such as rings, watches and headbands. Keep the bitten area below the heart, if at all possible. Keep the victim warm. Use a blanket or jackets if it is cold. Do not throw blankets or jackets on someone if it’s 105 degrees out. You don’t want them also to suffer from heat exhaustion.

Keep your friend calm and quiet. Talk to him or her in a soft, reassuring voice. Don’t get the bite victim excited. If you happen to have a camera with you, take a photo of the offending snake. This will make species identification easier for the professionals.

If you have been bitten and injected with venom, you will probably experience swelling, severe pain, tingling, weakness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, hemorrhaging, profuse sweating – and if you don’t go into a hospital for treatment, you’ll eventually have heart failure. The localized pain by the bite is usually intense, and that pain increases as the area begins to swell. Symptoms can be more excruciating in children.

deh_Rattlesnake1Knowing the types of habitats where you can expect to find a rattlesnake will help you to avoid them. They come out when it warms up in spring. Because they are cold blooded, they rely on the warmth of the sun to get them going. They will not be found on a trail when it is cold. Once they are sufficiently warm, they don’t hang around to bake. At this time of day, usually the afternoon, they will be in the tall grasses.

Snakes do not have ears. They depend upon vibrations to tell them someone is approaching. So, don’t tip-toe around. You’re better off stomping around so they can feel you coming and take off before you get there. They have more fear of you than you do of them.

Stay on the trail, and don’t walk through thick brush. Don’t walk on the edge of the trail. You’re better off in the middle. Keep your eyes open and make sure you check the trail, the sides of the trail, and the nearby brush for snakes. A hiking stick is a great snake locator. Rustle the stick around, and if there is a rattler with an intact tail, it will rattle back. Don’t climb around rocks or logs in the spring and summer without looking first. Snakes love to hide in rocks, woodpiles, and under bushes. Look where you step.

Finally, never try to handle, jump over or move a snake. Just leave it alone, and it will leave you alone. Go around it and have a nice, safe hike.

Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel is executive director of the Community Hiking Club and president of the Santa Clara River Watershed Conservancy. If you’d like to be part of the solution, join the Community Hiking Club’s Stewardship Committee. Contact Dianne through communityhikingclub.org or at zuliebear@aol.com.

1. Bill Boyd says:

Back in the 70’s, I was a victim of that terrible disease; “Young Man on Alcohol Catching Rattlesnakes”.
    And as fate would have it, I was bitten. When I was at the hospital, the nurse asked me how did this happen? When I told her she yelled out at the top of her lungs “HE JUST FLUNKED THE INTELLIGENCE TEST”.

I immediately wanted one of those machines that the coyote used in the old roadrunner cartoons that kicked you in the butt real hard when you make a stupid mistake.

After three days in the hospital and two weeks of a reaction to the antivenom, life got back to normal. My friends had a lot of fun making prank phone calls to me while I was in the hospital which added to my embarrassment.

To this day I still have a deformed thumbnail. I will never forget lifting up the rattlesnake (of which I had pressed real hard into the sand with a pole) and realized that instead of holding him by the head, I was about two inches behind the head. It was like a slow motion replay I was powerless to move and he just turned around and bit me.

My immediate thoughts were: “you Dummy. You are not only a Dummy, you are a Big Dummy”.

Anyway, it is a funny story for another day. When I finish it, I will share it with you

• So glad the bite was only on your thumb. It could have been much worse! And it’s great that you’re willing to share your story with others who might think about trying to pick one up!

• Bill Boyd says:

Hi Dianne
        It was one of those lessons in life that I had to learn the hard way. But I learned it well. I have trouble even saying “Rattlesnakes” and “Alcohol” in the same sentence.

What most people do not realize is that the venom affects your nervous system. I was at the hospital in about an hour and a half from when I was bitten. My mind told me that I could just walk in to the hospital but my body could not walk.

Imagine if your were way out in the woods and you could not walk

2. The writer of this post is ill informed.

• Bill Boyd says:

As the writer of the above post, how could I be ill informed about a true story that happened to me and my humorous thoughts of my experience.

3. Omar Vargas Omar Vargas says:

What are they ill informed about Zachary Daniel White?

4. Dwayne Pine Dwayne Pine says:

They have no intentions of scaring anyone…they are just as afraid of you as we are of them….that little rattle will warn you

5. There is also a dark-green variety of rattle-snake that is migrating from the Antelope Valley west into the Santa Clarita area. The brown and green ones can be encountered north of town from Castaic through the Frazier area and west of Palmdale towards Canyon Country….

• Bill Boyd says:

That is the Mojave Green. It is very prevalent in the east side of The Antelope Valley. Their bite is 10 times as potent as other rattlers

• You are so right, Dwayne Pine. They do not want to engage with you….they would rather just leave, which is what they will do if you don’t throw rocks at them or do other stupid things that will only make them defensive.

6. Ckay Walker Ckay Walker says:

I believe the writer intended they scare the uneducated. Which they do. Just leave them alone, don’t poke or throw rocks at them. They eat mice and rats. I personally like rattlers.

7. Tracy says:

All my neighbors kill them….Not me, I scoop them up in my long handle pool net, hang them out the back of my truck and drive them back up into the hills and release them. Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but i just can’t hurt a living creature. I vaccinate my dogs against them as well.

8. Cathy says:

I’m with you Clay. The snakes are a vital link in nature. They take care of all those disease caring rodents.

• Cathy says:

9. Megan Happ Megan Happ says:

Shannon Etheridge – for hiking :-)

10. Jim Lewis Jim Lewis says:

If I’m out and about and run into a rattler, I slowly back away and let him continue on his course. He is more afraid of me than I am of him. Yet I had one outside my house the other day about to square off with the cat. It was harder to get the cat away from the snake than vise versa. Had to put the snake down tho, don’t have an extra $1300 for anti venom if it bites any of my animals.

11. Jimmy Grise Jimmy Grise says:

bash their heads in with a stick.

12. Alicia Ellen Alicia Ellen says:

Had one near front door.took head off.scared for my kid and dogs.rattlers are too dangerous to mess with.

13. I like my Rattler with a nice citricy IPA.

14. SCV has Pacific Blacks and Western Diamondback. Palmdale and desert u see the Mojave green

15. Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins says:

Working outside in the desert and mountains for 30 years I can tell you that the baby snakes are out as early as the first week in April. And… Most of the time they’ll NOT warn you with a rattle.

16. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

Remember to get your dogs vaccinated against snake bites too. I found out there was a preventative vaccine after two of my dogs were bitten about 8 years ago & $3000 in vet bills later.

17. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

18. Jeanette White says:

Important to know… Thanks!

19. I live in Acton/Agua Dulce and we have so many snakes out right now its crazy

20. E Liz Abeth E Liz Abeth says:

Went for a hike by placerita canyon saw about 10 of these my hike only lasted 10 minutes ☺️ be safe !

21. Alicia Ellen Alicia Ellen says:

Yes Danielle me too in agua dulce.babies don’t warn..!!

22. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

I HATE SNAKES…THEY ARE EVIL. Sorry to all the snake lovers out there….

23. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

I HATE SNAKES…THEY ARE EVIL. Sorry to all the snake lovers out there….

24. Rattlesnakes out here in Texas – a .410 and my dog. Don’t need anything else and Benadryl is all you need for your dog. Even the vets out here will tell you that. Grew up in CA hunting them in the San Jose foothills and mess with them here in my TX backyard – good on the BBQ too. :)

25. The vaccines only give you more time to actually get to the vet. You’ll still require antivenom but the effects will be less lethal than usual. Just an FYI. Still looking at a large vet bill but upping the chance of your dog living through it.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Sunday, Dec 10, 2017
Derelict since the 1994 earthquake, the Pioneer Oil Refinery in Newhall was the first productive oil refinery in the American West and is believed to be the oldest existing refinery in the world today. Unfunded restoration plans have come and gone. Now that the surrounding property is under development, will the promises be kept?
Friday, Dec 8, 2017
A National Memorial designation for St. Francis Dam will honor those who lost their lives in the nation’s worst engineering disaster and the role it played in ushering in a new era of oversight for dam construction.
Thursday, Dec 7, 2017
Eliminating net neutrality would allow Internet service providers such as Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum and AT&T to create a “slow lane” and a “fast lane” on the Internet, prioritizing certain companies over others and dictating what websites you’re able to visit and at what speed, or even blocking you entirely from visiting certain websites of your choice.
Monday, Dec 4, 2017
In his monthly message for December 2017, Santa Clarita City Manager Ken Striplin encourages residents to shop and party locally during the holidays to keep the cash in our community.
Friday, Dec 1, 2017
The big day is almost upon us and a year of celebrations is wrapping up. On December 15, 2017 our city will officially be 30 years old.
Thursday, Nov 30, 2017
Create and decorate your own holiday wreaths, centerpieces, candles and ornaments using a large assortment of fresh-cut greenery, pine cones and other beautiful natural treasures this weekend at the Placerita Canyon Nature Center.

Offering more than 150 itineraries to popular bucket-list destinations all over the world, Princess Cruises has earned top honors for its cruise vacation itineraries in the Cruise Critic Annual Editors’ Picks Awards.
Industry Experts Award Princess Cruises “Best Itineraries”
As it wraps up 2017 and looks forward to 2018, the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce announced eight new additions to its board of directors next year.
Chamber Announces 2018 Board of Directors
Continuing more than a decade of Christmas tradition, Faith Community Church will host the 12th Annual “Festividad for Christ” Christmas celebration for its neighbors in Newhall.
Dec. 16: Annual “Festividad for Christ” Community Christmas Celebration
With New Year’s Eve just a few weeks away, the city of Santa Clarita is offering a cash reward up to $500, in the hopes that someone will come forth with valuable information that may lead to the citation(s) of the person or persons responsible for illegal firework activity in the City.
City to Offer Cash in Exchange for Tips on Illegal Firework Activity
On Friday, the facts of the case against Newhall resident, Robert Mount, age 52, were presented to the San Fernando District Attorney's office.
Newhall Suspect Charged with 65 Counts; Bail Set at More Than $2 Million
'The Shape of Water' and 'Big Little Lies' top the Hollywood Foreign Press Association's 75th Golden Globes nominations announced Monday morning in Beverly Hills.
‘Shape of Water,’ ‘Big Little Lies’ Top 75th Golden Globes Nominations
Baxter the cat-napped kitten has been returned safely to the Shelter Hope Pet Shop at Valencia Town Center Mall.
Cat-Napped Kitten Returned Safely to Shelter Hope
Tonight on SCV NewsBreak, the SCV Sheriff's Station has sent out an all-points bulletin about a male kitten stolen from his cage at the Shelter Hope Pet Shop. Plus, some holiday cheer comes to Carousel Ranch. Watch these stories and more on tonight's edition of SCV NewsBreak.
SCV NewsBreak for Monday, December 11, 2017
The next Castaic Lake Water Agency's Water Resources Committee meeting is Tuesday, December 12 at 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 12: CLWA Water Resources Committee Meeting
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold two special meetings, as well as its regular meeting on Tuesday, December 12, at 4:30 p.m., 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. respectively.
Dec. 12: City Council Special, Regular Meetings
The next regular organizational meeting of the Governing Board of the William S. Hart Union High School District is set for Wednesday, December 13 at 7 p.m.
Dec. 13: Hart School District Governing Board Meeting
Castaic School Board members held their annual organizational meeting on December 7 and elected officers and representatives of the board for 2018.
Castaic Union School District Names 2018 Officers, Reps
The Los Angeles County Arts Commission has released findings from an 18-month survey of arts education in K-12 public schools.
County Arts Commission Unveils Findings from K-12 Arts Ed Profile
The Thomas Fire burning in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties has now consumed 230,500 acres, according to Ventura County Fire Department officials Monday morning, up from 170,000 a day earlier.
Thomas Fire Explodes to 230,500 Acres, 15 Percent Contained
Bank of Hope has given California State University, Northridge $20,000 to help expand the university’s VITA income tax preparation assistance program for low-income families and individuals during the 2018 tax season.
CSUN Receives $2K Grant for VITA Income Tax Prep Clinic
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 10 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 90th Academy Awards.
10 Live Action Shorts Advance in 2017 Oscar Race
The city of Santa Clarita is accepting submissions from local photographers for its Winter 2017 Photo Contest through December 31.
Dec. 31: City Winter Photo Contest Entry Deadline
The county and city of Los Angeles have activated the 211 LA County Disaster Hotline for residents to report damage caused by the December 2017 Creek, Rye and Skirball Fires in Los Angeles.
County, City of L.A. Fire Up 2-1-1 Disaster Hotline
The California Department of Motor Vehicles will provide limited services for victims of Los Angeles and Ventura wildfires at two assistance centers starting Tuesday.
DMV to Provide Services at 2 Fire Assistance Centers
The city of Santa Clarita invites residents to join in for a night of dancing at community holiday dances on in Newhall on Friday night and Canyon Country on Saturday night.
Dec. 15, 16: Holiday Dances at Canyon Country, Newhall Community Centers
The county and city of Los Angeles will open a local assistance center for victims of the recent wildfires on Tuesday, December 12 that will operate daily through Saturday, December 16.
Assistance Center for LA Wildfire Victims Opens Tuesday
Hannah Ostrom scored a career-high 25 points and The Master's University women's basketball team overcame some nine-day rust to beat CalTech 87-58 Saturday afternoon in Pasadena.
TMU’s Hannah Ostrom Too Much for CalTech
The Master’s University men's basketball team's 126-70 win over visiting Westcliff University on Friday was the Mustangs' eighth straight win.
Mustangs Roll Past Westcliff 126-70 for 8th Straight Win
College of the Canyons sophomore soccer player Angel Quintero has been named the Western State Conference East Division Player of the Year to lead a class of 12 Cougars earning postseason awards.
Angel Quintero Among a Dozen COC Athletes to Earn All-WSC Status
College of the Canyons sophomore soccer forward Aaron Winsick has been named the Western State Conference South Division co-Player of the Year with a combined eight Cougars named to the all-conference squad.
COC’s Winsick Named Co-Player of the Year, 8 Cougars Win All-WSC Honors
The city of Santa Clarita’s Hometown Heroes Military Banner Program has a special discount available now for streetlight pole banners purchased as holiday gifts to honor actively serving military members from the Santa Clarita Valley. Banners can be purchased by individuals or organizations.
Hometown Heroes Military Banners Available as Holiday Gifts
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station crime prevention deputies have received reports of theft in which wallets are stolen from the purses of women shoppers.
When Shopping, Beware of Pocketbook Thieves
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department has been awarded a $1,845,385 grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety for a year-long program of special enforcement and public awareness efforts
Sheriff’s Department Wins $1.8M Grant for Traffic Enforcement Program
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a 24-year-old man and his 20-year-old companion, both from Saugus, on multiple charges early Friday.
SCV Deputies Book Saugus Couple on Drug, Firearm and Other Charges
The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station has provided the public safety report for Stevenson Ranch (Zone 3) for November 27 to December 3, 2017.
Crime Blotter: Theft by Access Card, Burglary in Stevenson Ranch
1975 - Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society incorporates as a 501c3 nonprofit [Heritage Junction]
The National Weather Service has extended its Red Flag Warning of extreme fire danger for coastal and valley areas of Los Angeles and Ventura counties through Monday at 8 p.m.
Fire Danger Warning Extended to Monday 8 p.m.
The Rye Fire is 93 percent contained and the Creek Fire is 95 percent contained, according to a Sunday evening update from CalFire and the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
Rye Fire 93 Percent Contained, Creek Fire Nearly Out
Gate-King and the Pioneer | Commentary by Leon Worden
The Thomas Fire raged in Ventura County and west into Santa Barbara County Sunday, forcing evacuations as the blaze threatened coastal communities of Carpinteria and Montecito and moved inland into the Los Padres National Forest.
Thomas Fire Threatens Coastal Ventura, Santa Barbara County