Mostly cloudy
Mostly cloudy

November 20
1831 - Local entrepreneurs Sanford and Cyrus Lyon (as in Lyons Avenue) born in Machias, Maine [story]

Take a Hike | Commentary by Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel
| Sunday, Jun 1, 2014

DianneErskineHellrigelIt’s the time of year when rattlesnakes start coming out and scaring the uninitiated hikers on the trail.

If you know what to do, there’s no need to be nervous. The more you know, the better prepared you’ll be on the trail, and the less likely you’ll end up with a bite.

All of the local rattlesnakes you see will be Southern Pacific rattlesnakes. Rattlesnakes are part of a group of venomous snakes. They are predators that hunt small prey such as birds, mice, small rabbits and rats.

No matter what you’ve heard about rattlesnakes coming after someone and pursuing them, it’s not true. A rattlesnake would rather not tangle with a human. They become nasty, threatening and defensive when they feel threatened by one of us. If you poke them with a stick or throw a rock at them, they will coil and defend themselves. If you get close enough, they will strike at you.

And no matter how much beer you’ve had and how fast you think you are, the rattlesnake is faster. The largest group of people reporting to hospitals with rattlesnake bites are men aged 18-40 who have been drinking beer … and most of those bites are on or near the hand or wrist.

I repeat: You are not smart enough or fast enough to grab a rattlesnake. Rattlesnakes rarely bite unless they are provoked or feel threatened.

deh_rattlesnake-cmkudijaMy best advice is to stay clear of the snake. Don’t throw anything at it. Don’t dilly-dally. Just get out of there and away from it as soon as possible, and put as much distance as you can between yourself and the snake. You’ll see that the snake was also happy to avoid confrontation and will be gone when you are on your way back. And if you’re out on a hike, please refrain from drinking before you go. The beer will make you think you are smarter than you are. Save the beer for a post-hike treat when there are no snakes around.

Rattlesnakes are known for the titular noise they make. It comes from the “rattle” at the end of the tail. However, not all rattlesnakes will rattle. The rattle itself is brittle and can break off. Baby rattlesnakes have only a little button on the end of their tail and no rattles.

Rattlesnakes are also beginning to evolve away from making a rattling sound as a warning because too many of them die at the hands of humans when they rattle. So you might not always hear that familiar rattle.

The other way to make a quick identification is the triangular shape of the head. If the head is oval, it’s not a rattlesnake. Gopher snakes and rattlesnakes have similar markings to most people who do not know the snakes well.

Even though you might not like snakes, they play an important role in the ecosystem. They eat rodents … lots of them. You don’t want mice and rats running rampant all over the place, so just put up with a few snakes. Please don’t kill them. Not even the rattlers. If one is in your shed or backyard, call someone to come get it and make sure your children and animals are secure and far away. All snakes are an important link in the ecosystem, and you’ll probably be more in danger of the diseases that rodents carry than from getting a snake bite. And compared to cobras, rattlesnakes are considered demure.

If you happen to get bitten, get treated at the local hospital as soon as possible. Do NOT slit it open, do NOT suck out the venom, and do NOT apply a tourniquet. What you DO need to do is call 911 immediately for transport. Take a Sharpie pen and mark the time of the bite on the skin, and then mark the progression of the swelling and redness every 15 minutes. This will help the medical personnel determine how quickly the venom is traveling and the amount of venom that was in the bite.

Rattlesnake bites are rarely fatal. The most important thing is to get to a hospital quickly. You will need to be given the antivenom preferably within two hours after the bite. Recovery with quick antivenom therapy is 99 percent. Some rattlesnakes might deliver a lot of venom, some might deliver none, and in the case of juveniles, they will not be able to control how much they deliver.

If you or a friend are bitten by a rattlesnake, remain calm, retreat away from the snake, and arrange for transportation to a hospital as soon as possible. Call 911 as soon as you can. Loosen all clothing and remove anything that might restrict blood flow such as rings, watches and headbands. Keep the bitten area below the heart, if at all possible. Keep the victim warm. Use a blanket or jackets if it is cold. Do not throw blankets or jackets on someone if it’s 105 degrees out. You don’t want them also to suffer from heat exhaustion.

Keep your friend calm and quiet. Talk to him or her in a soft, reassuring voice. Don’t get the bite victim excited. If you happen to have a camera with you, take a photo of the offending snake. This will make species identification easier for the professionals.

If you have been bitten and injected with venom, you will probably experience swelling, severe pain, tingling, weakness, anxiety, nausea, vomiting, hemorrhaging, profuse sweating – and if you don’t go into a hospital for treatment, you’ll eventually have heart failure. The localized pain by the bite is usually intense, and that pain increases as the area begins to swell. Symptoms can be more excruciating in children.

deh_Rattlesnake1Knowing the types of habitats where you can expect to find a rattlesnake will help you to avoid them. They come out when it warms up in spring. Because they are cold blooded, they rely on the warmth of the sun to get them going. They will not be found on a trail when it is cold. Once they are sufficiently warm, they don’t hang around to bake. At this time of day, usually the afternoon, they will be in the tall grasses.

Snakes do not have ears. They depend upon vibrations to tell them someone is approaching. So, don’t tip-toe around. You’re better off stomping around so they can feel you coming and take off before you get there. They have more fear of you than you do of them.

Stay on the trail, and don’t walk through thick brush. Don’t walk on the edge of the trail. You’re better off in the middle. Keep your eyes open and make sure you check the trail, the sides of the trail, and the nearby brush for snakes. A hiking stick is a great snake locator. Rustle the stick around, and if there is a rattler with an intact tail, it will rattle back. Don’t climb around rocks or logs in the spring and summer without looking first. Snakes love to hide in rocks, woodpiles, and under bushes. Look where you step.

Finally, never try to handle, jump over or move a snake. Just leave it alone, and it will leave you alone. Go around it and have a nice, safe hike.

Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel is executive director of the Community Hiking Club and president of the Santa Clara River Watershed Conservancy. If you’d like to be part of the solution, join the Community Hiking Club’s Stewardship Committee. Contact Dianne through communityhikingclub.org or at zuliebear@aol.com.

1. Bill Boyd says:

Back in the 70’s, I was a victim of that terrible disease; “Young Man on Alcohol Catching Rattlesnakes”.
    And as fate would have it, I was bitten. When I was at the hospital, the nurse asked me how did this happen? When I told her she yelled out at the top of her lungs “HE JUST FLUNKED THE INTELLIGENCE TEST”.

I immediately wanted one of those machines that the coyote used in the old roadrunner cartoons that kicked you in the butt real hard when you make a stupid mistake.

After three days in the hospital and two weeks of a reaction to the antivenom, life got back to normal. My friends had a lot of fun making prank phone calls to me while I was in the hospital which added to my embarrassment.

To this day I still have a deformed thumbnail. I will never forget lifting up the rattlesnake (of which I had pressed real hard into the sand with a pole) and realized that instead of holding him by the head, I was about two inches behind the head. It was like a slow motion replay I was powerless to move and he just turned around and bit me.

My immediate thoughts were: “you Dummy. You are not only a Dummy, you are a Big Dummy”.

Anyway, it is a funny story for another day. When I finish it, I will share it with you

• So glad the bite was only on your thumb. It could have been much worse! And it’s great that you’re willing to share your story with others who might think about trying to pick one up!

• Bill Boyd says:

Hi Dianne
        It was one of those lessons in life that I had to learn the hard way. But I learned it well. I have trouble even saying “Rattlesnakes” and “Alcohol” in the same sentence.

What most people do not realize is that the venom affects your nervous system. I was at the hospital in about an hour and a half from when I was bitten. My mind told me that I could just walk in to the hospital but my body could not walk.

Imagine if your were way out in the woods and you could not walk

2. The writer of this post is ill informed.

• Bill Boyd says:

As the writer of the above post, how could I be ill informed about a true story that happened to me and my humorous thoughts of my experience.

3. Omar Vargas Omar Vargas says:

What are they ill informed about Zachary Daniel White?

4. Dwayne Pine Dwayne Pine says:

They have no intentions of scaring anyone…they are just as afraid of you as we are of them….that little rattle will warn you

5. There is also a dark-green variety of rattle-snake that is migrating from the Antelope Valley west into the Santa Clarita area. The brown and green ones can be encountered north of town from Castaic through the Frazier area and west of Palmdale towards Canyon Country….

• Bill Boyd says:

That is the Mojave Green. It is very prevalent in the east side of The Antelope Valley. Their bite is 10 times as potent as other rattlers

• You are so right, Dwayne Pine. They do not want to engage with you….they would rather just leave, which is what they will do if you don’t throw rocks at them or do other stupid things that will only make them defensive.

6. Ckay Walker Ckay Walker says:

I believe the writer intended they scare the uneducated. Which they do. Just leave them alone, don’t poke or throw rocks at them. They eat mice and rats. I personally like rattlers.

7. Tracy says:

All my neighbors kill them….Not me, I scoop them up in my long handle pool net, hang them out the back of my truck and drive them back up into the hills and release them. Everyone thinks I’m crazy, but i just can’t hurt a living creature. I vaccinate my dogs against them as well.

8. Cathy says:

I’m with you Clay. The snakes are a vital link in nature. They take care of all those disease caring rodents.

• Cathy says:

9. Megan Happ Megan Happ says:

Shannon Etheridge – for hiking :-)

10. Jim Lewis Jim Lewis says:

If I’m out and about and run into a rattler, I slowly back away and let him continue on his course. He is more afraid of me than I am of him. Yet I had one outside my house the other day about to square off with the cat. It was harder to get the cat away from the snake than vise versa. Had to put the snake down tho, don’t have an extra $1300 for anti venom if it bites any of my animals.

11. Jimmy Grise Jimmy Grise says:

bash their heads in with a stick.

12. Alicia Ellen Alicia Ellen says:

Had one near front door.took head off.scared for my kid and dogs.rattlers are too dangerous to mess with.

13. I like my Rattler with a nice citricy IPA.

14. SCV has Pacific Blacks and Western Diamondback. Palmdale and desert u see the Mojave green

15. Jim Hawkins Jim Hawkins says:

Working outside in the desert and mountains for 30 years I can tell you that the baby snakes are out as early as the first week in April. And… Most of the time they’ll NOT warn you with a rattle.

16. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

Remember to get your dogs vaccinated against snake bites too. I found out there was a preventative vaccine after two of my dogs were bitten about 8 years ago & $3000 in vet bills later.

17. Kim Sloan Kim Sloan says:

18. Jeanette White says:

Important to know… Thanks!

19. I live in Acton/Agua Dulce and we have so many snakes out right now its crazy

20. E Liz Abeth E Liz Abeth says:

Went for a hike by placerita canyon saw about 10 of these my hike only lasted 10 minutes ☺️ be safe !

21. Alicia Ellen Alicia Ellen says:

Yes Danielle me too in agua dulce.babies don’t warn..!!

22. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

I HATE SNAKES…THEY ARE EVIL. Sorry to all the snake lovers out there….

23. Dina Caddy Dina Caddy says:

I HATE SNAKES…THEY ARE EVIL. Sorry to all the snake lovers out there….

24. Rattlesnakes out here in Texas – a .410 and my dog. Don’t need anything else and Benadryl is all you need for your dog. Even the vets out here will tell you that. Grew up in CA hunting them in the San Jose foothills and mess with them here in my TX backyard – good on the BBQ too. :)

25. The vaccines only give you more time to actually get to the vet. You’ll still require antivenom but the effects will be less lethal than usual. Just an FYI. Still looking at a large vet bill but upping the chance of your dog living through it.

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Nov 15, 2018
Most people with Medicare will pay the standard monthly premium for Medicare Part B, which will be $135.50 next year, an increase of $1.50 over 2018. Your Part B premium is based on your income. People whose tax returns show income equal to or higher than $85,000 pay higher premiums. These income-adjusted premiums apply to about 5 percent of all Medicare beneficiaries.
Thursday, Oct 18, 2018
It makes good sense to review your coverage each year. Make sure your plan still is a good fit for you in terms of cost, coverage, and quality.
Thursday, Oct 4, 2018
Local entrepreneurs, industry leaders and business owners are looking for employees who can communicate clearly, whether writing or speaking; effectively collaborate on teams; and quickly make decisions that benefit both the company and its customers.
Tuesday, Oct 2, 2018
Canyon Country is known as a major residential area in our City, as well as a popular commercial and retail spot.
Monday, Oct 1, 2018
In her message for October 2018, Santa Clarita Mayor Laurene Weste invites the community to the annual State of the City Luncheon at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Thursday, Oct. 25, at 11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, Sep 26, 2018
Not being able to record and document what Knight and Hill stated during the debate makes it difficult for our community to hold both of them accountable to what they say.

The Master's University women's volleyball team learned Monday which teams will be in its pool at next week's NAIA national championship in Sioux City, Iowa.
Pools Announced for NAIA Women’s Volleyball Tournament
To describe his stay at The Master's University, one that's included a rocky beginning, a handful of role changes and a stellar climax, including Saturday when he topped 1,000 career points, senior Delewis Johnson chose a roller coaster analogy.
Johnson Tops 1,000 Career Points in TMU Win Over Saint Katherine
For the first time this season, fans of The Master's University women's basketball team didn't need a laptop or tablet to catch a glimpse of the Mustangs — and there was a lot to like about Friday's live rendition.
TMU Women’s Basketball Team Cruises in Home Opener
The Master's University men's cross country team felt the sting of Friday's lower-than-expected finish at NAIA nationals but also turned an eye to a promising 2019.
TMU Men’s Cross Country Finishes 20th at Nationals
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health recommends several tips to avoid foodborne illness and keep the Thanksgiving holiday celebration festive.
Health Officials Offer Thanksgiving Food Safety Tips
A group of SCV Water staff and members of TreePeople and the Sierra Club teamed up for a "Restoration Field Day" Friday to learn about the local watershed and restore a creek-side habitat in San Francisquito Canyon.
SCV Water, TreePeople, Sierra Club Team for Restoration Field Day
Santa Claus will visit Heritage Junction William S. Hart Regional Park on Saturday, Dec. 1, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., then slide on over to Hart Hall in Newhall Park at 6 p.m. as the Friends of Hart Park celebrate 'Cowboys and Carols.'
Dec. 1: Santa to Visit Heritage Junction, Hart Park
Pocock Brewing Company invites everyone 21 years old and older to its 3rd Anniversary Beer Festival on Dec. 1 to benefit the Castaic Education Foundation and the Santa Clarita Valley Education Foundation.
Dec. 1: Pocock Beer Fest to Benefit Castaic Schools, SCV Education Foundation
Valencia High School’s Theatre Department took home first place at the recent Drama Teachers Association of Southern California Fall Festival held at Canyon High School.
Valencia High School Theatre Wins SoCal Competition
Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk Dean C. Logan announced the third ballot counting update for the Nov. 6 General Election Friday afternoon.
County Releases Third Ballot Tally Update for Nov. 6 Election
The Home Depot Fund has pledged $500,000 while a multimedia benefit event raised more than $1.1 million to aid victims of the Woolsey Fire.
Home Depot Pledges $500K for Fire Relief; LA Benefit Raises $1.1M
With Woolsey Fire recovery and relief efforts underway, Los Angeles County officials caution the public to beware of charity scams and to donate to organizations they know and trust.
County Officials: Beware of Woolsey Fire Charity Scams
College of the Canyon's women's volleyball team will host a first-round California Community College Athletic Association Southern California Regional Playoff match vs. San Diego Mesa College on Tuesday, Nov. 20, at the Cougar Cage, with the first serve scheduled for 6 p.m.
Nov. 20: Canyons Volleyball to Host First Round Playoff Match
Highway 14 motorists and Metrolink train riders alike can tell the new buildings at Vista Canyon just south of Sand Canyon are just about complete and ready for business.
Vista Canyon Prepares to Welcome Its First Tenants
The city of Santa Clarita has updated the list of productions shooting in the city and the Santa Clarita Valley for the week of Nov. 19-25, 2018.
‘Lethal Weapon,’ ‘SEAL Team,’ ‘NCIS’ Filming in SCV This Week
The number of active listings of homes and condominiums for sale in the Santa Clarita Valley rose in October for the fifth consecutive month while sales slowed and resale prices continued to move higher, the Southland Regional Association of Realtors reported Monday.
SCV Housing Inventory Rises for 5th Straight Month; Sales Slow
William S. Hart High School’s Hart Regiment won top honors at the 2018 Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association Marching Band Championship at Downey High School on Saturday, Nov. 17.
Hart Regiment Wins Gold at Marching Band Championship
The California Highway Patrol will have all available officers on patrol Thanksgiving weekend, traditionally one of the busiest travel times in America, in a maximum enforcement period from Wednesday through Sunday.
All CHP Officers on Duty for Thanksgiving Weekend Safety
College of the Canyons cross country capped its season by sending three runners to compete at the California Community College Athletic Association State Championships at Woodward Park in Fresno last Saturday.
Cougar Cross Country Ends Season at State Championship Meet
2003 - U.S. Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon introduces the first of several bills intended to block the 78-million-ton Cemex gravel mine in Soledad Canyon [story]
1957 - Newhall County Library dedicated on Ninth Street; rededicated as city of Santa Clarita's Business Incubator exactly 57 years later (2014) [story]
1969 - Construction begins on Magic Mountain amusement park [story]
Democratic challenger Christy Smith's lead has widened to 3,099 votes over Republican incumbent Dante Acosta in the race for California's 38th District, according to the updated ballot count released Friday afternoon by the Los Angeles County and Ventura County registrars of voters.
Smith Widens Lead in 38th Assembly District Tally
Retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Lt. Alex Villanueva has pulled ahead of incumbent Sheriff Jim McDonnell by 57,810 votes in the Nov. 6 general election
Sheriff’s Race: Villanueva Widens Lead Over McDonnell by Nearly 58K Votes
A new three-year collective bargaining agreement between Kaiser Permanente and the Alliance of Health Care Unions is now in effect through Sept. 30, 2021.
Kaiser Permanente, Health Care Unions Ratify New National Deal
The next meeting of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is set for Tuesday, Nov. 20, starting at 9:30 a.m.
Nov. 20: LA County Board of Supervisors Meeting
The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area suffered significant damage from the Woolsey Fire, including the destruction of the Western Town at Paramount Ranch and a building housing priceless archives, the National Park Service reported Friday.
Woolsey Fire Destroys Western Town, Museum, Archives at Paramount Ranch
A multitude of important disaster recovery resources from government, non-profit, and private agencies are now available online at www.lacounty.gov/woolseyfire to help support residents, business owners, and others impacted by the Woolsey Fire.
County Launches Recovery, Damage Reporting Webpage for Woolsey Fire Victims
Red Rock Canyon State Park officials have set their schedule of interpretive events for the second half of November.
Red Rock Canyon State Park Sets November Walks, Talks, Slide Show
Registration is underway for the College of the Canyons winter semester, and registration for the spring 2019 semester will begin Tuesday, Jan. 2.
Register Now for COC Winter Semester; Spring Registration to Open Jan. 2
The California State Auditor rebuked the agency in charge of implementing the state’s high-speed rail project Thursday, finding lack of planning and poor oversight has led to cost overruns plaguing the Golden State’s efforts.
Cost Overruns, Poor Oversight Plague California Bullet Train
The U.S. Small Business Administration has issued a disaster declaration for Los Angeles County that will make low-interest federal disaster loans available to businesses and residents impacted by the Woolsey Fire.
Feds Offer Low-Interest Loans to LA County Wildfire Victims
Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station deputies arrested a man on Friday suspected of vandalizing a Newhall business over the Veterans Day holiday weekend.
SCV Deputies Arrest Newhall Vandalism Suspect
The city of Santa Clarita, in partnership with Parkway Motorcars, will once again hold a Thanksgiving Community Dinner at the Newhall Community Center, located at 22421 Market Street in Newhall.
Nov. 19: City’s Annual Thanksgiving Community Dinner