Cloudy
Cloudy

September 23
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
Women's Club

Shooting[KHTS] – Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station deputies responded to two reported shootings Wednesday, one that left a man dead in Canyon Country.

Sheriff’s Department officials reported Wednesday evening that one victim was killed and another wounded in that shooting.

Coroner’s officials are not releasing the identity of the victim pending the notification of next of kin, but a medical officer confirmed it was a 21-year-old man.

Deputies are still looking for two male suspects in the incident, according to Sheriff’s Station officials.

Investigators were still on scene processing evidence as of 8:30 a.m. Thursday, according to Lt. Eddie Hernandez of the Sheriff’s Department’s Homicide Bureau.

Investigators are releasing little information, and detectives are still looking for witnesses.

Initial reports indicated a possible domestic incident, but officials are not confirming any additional information at this time regarding the circumstances around the shooting or whether there was any relationship between the suspect and the victim.

Fire officials confirmed there were two reported shooting victims at the 25700 block of Sierra Highway in Santa Clarita. They received the call at 4:24 p.m. Wednesday, officials said.

A man, who was not identified, was pronounced dead at the scene. A woman was treated at a local hospital for a gunshot wound. She is reportedly in stable condition.

Deputies are actively investigating the shooting that occurred near an apartment complex near the intersection of Sierra Highway and Soledad Canyon Road, officials said.

Both victims reportedly are connected to this second shooting incident.

There are several individuals being detained for questioning, but no arrests were confirmed.

Sheriff’s Department officials confirmed there is believed to be two victims, but their status is not known at this time.

The first shooting was reportedly related to a road rage incident reported at 3:47 p.m. near the intersection of Golden Valley Road and Lost Canyon Road, officials said.

The preliminary investigation indicates the two incidents are not related, according to sources.

1. Sarah Cohen Sarah Cohen says:

Yep, the helicopter is a-flyin’ low. Typical.

2. Says a male in his 30s was shot.
    Crazy that there was another shooting on rainbow glen at the same time

3. Marett Brooks Johnson

4. Is this in the Vallarta shopping center? I could see the chopper flying low from the freeway.

5. Juan Leyva Juan Leyva says:

Salvador JR Ocampo

6. Travis May Travis May says:

That’s really a breaking news update?

7. What doesn’t go on in those apartments -_-

8. Steven Craig Steven Craig says:

I think you guys need to learn the correct use of the words “breaking news”.

9. Abc 7 claims it’s now a double homicide! Now THATS news!

10. Sally Rivera Sally Rivera says:

Vince Rivera Chris Rivera Johnny Rivera Junior Hernandez

11. Angelica Araya and you wanted me to move there!??

12. YaYa Cardenas it’s happening right now … I’m folding and all u hear is the helicopter … That’s in those apts by the yoshinoya

13. Double shooting. Suspect still at large!

14. Rick Polanco Rick Polanco says:

What’s new? You want more section 8 housing this what comes with it.

15. I can hear the heli,right now

16. Some people. Y’all don’t live in a perfect city no matter how much money u make, how nice ur car or how big ur house is crime is everywhere

17. Sad!! Prayers for every one involved and affected.

18. Typical Sierra Hwy in CC. Stay away from Jakes Way

19. This never used to be like this 25 yes ago

20. Mitch Aranda Mitch Aranda says:

Rosa Guzman Brie Alamillo

21. Destiny Shanel Vargas

22. Destiny Shanel Vargas

23. Jason Fox Jason Fox says:

Someone drop a bomb on Jakes way and it’s surroundings.

24. I was wondering. … =

25. Mitch Aranda..I looked into that scummy place too..

26. Just an average day in Canyon Compton!

27. Canyon country is the pacoima of Santa clarita

28. Hope all is ok Christina Corral Clarissa Corral ……

29. Karen Montoya is it by where u live

30. Always something over there. Sad

31. Nu De Hayes Nu De Hayes says:

Wow…. I was wondering why I was hearing the helicopter… Smdh

32. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

Well well well good ole Sierra Canyon Apt. “The Blues” that figures never was quiet in that apt complex, the kids their act just like their parents a bunch of thugs thank you God I got my family out of their. The management is just as bad, they don’t care, all they care about is their money. Yea when we lived their a teenager beat up one of the security guards, and my daughter got beat up by a group of teenage girls and she was only 9 yrs old at the time and the management didn’t do anything about it.

• glady says:

management probably can’t do much or they will be beat up…with so much drugs in peoples lives now day no wonder its all going to helllllll

33. Paul Lindsay Paul Lindsay says:

Candice Marie this by you?

34. Someone send this to Parenting.com

35. So glad I don’t live there anymore when I was there a security guard got jumped then my sister got jumped so how I see it there’s always drama there

36. Roderick…wow, seriously?

37. They caught one of the guys, he was trying to escape on a bike lol

38. My thoughts exactly Kevin Glasgow!

39. Mike Guz-man is this a bad neighborhood? We should check the crime stats at our place

40. At The Blues, go figure…

My condolences to the families who lost loved ones.

41. Nikki Sanchez? The blues…I use to live there over 10 years ago

42. Nicole how far is this from u

43. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

It’s rentals and the urban culture that is taking over SCV. Same stuff goes on on the house rentals here in Cyn Ctry. And these ding dongs come in, buy homes, don’t live in the neighborhood, and stick the other property owners with their “crappy” tenants, while they laugh all the way to the bank..

44. Arthur Gomez Arthur Gomez says:

Canyon country was nice long time ago!

45. Manny Garcia Gerardo Avalos

46. Lori Root Lori Root says:

I am so glad I moved out of there in 1998. I am sad though at what its become.

47. Got caught in 3 traffic jams, hit all 3 incidents. Man.

48. My friend lives directly above this apt and was home with her two small children at the time…

49. That’s why that helicopter was flying around for so long! Condolences to the family!

50. No matter where you move there’s always a ghetto. If canyon country is the pacoima of SCV what is Newhall considered lol San Fernando

• I’ve lived off Sierra hwy across from friendly valley for 49 yrs. I’ve seen a lot and the apts on jakes way has had problems over the years as have every area in Santa Clarita. We’re the third safest city of its size in the country. The homes in our area sell for between 375k,-600K, and quickly.hardly a slum.lolNone of us live in a bubble of safety. Problems start in the home with values thought and discipline when required. I’ve witnessed children from lower income homes, better behaved,respectful,faithful,good students with 2 loving parents. I’ve seen some of the worse problem kids coming out of our posh,gated areas. So judge not,lest you be judged. Money never did but class, but often used to cover the lack of it!

• Shirley yes problems start in the home not on Sierra Highway!!

• Shirley yes problems start in the home not on Sierra Highway!!

• Wow didn’t expect that after this shirley

• Wow didn’t expect that after this shirley

• Wow Shirley Vercelli
      I guess you showed your true colors.

• Wow Shirley Vercelli
      I guess you showed your true colors.

51. Joey C Bavle Joey C Bavle says:

In the city of madness.crime is crime but lately all these unschooled individuals run a muck…I grew up in southeast LA moved out here in the 90s..it’s always been mellow up in till recently.just saying most average citizens are not out for problems,but the ones that think they’re about it buckle up,and to those of you whom been around,build a younger generation up school them.if they don’t listen then they’re a liability…deal with em keep yours in line we’ll keep ours in line….the true meaning behind the art of war……I’m 123%badboy pure outlaw.and.the options yours

52. Joe Nocella Joe Nocella says:

And we were considered the third safest city?

53. Don Hoffman Don Hoffman says:

Section 8 at its best… Rather than integrating Sect 8 into good cities they should just make their own city…. I know I’d still be paying for it but at least I wouldn’t have to see or deal with it…

54. Dorene Tapp Dorene Tapp says:

Don’t paint all of Canyon Country with the same brush.

55. 3rd safest city . . . . Yeah

56. This is really bad canyon country is coming insecurity comunnyty that’s for real! !!

57. I’ll sell them the caskets or the urns.

58. Did thy just report safest city lol

59. Kathi Cole what the heck ??

60. Devon Pierce Devon Pierce says:

Dylan C Rutledge Trevor Gothie

61. Leo Lozano Leo Lozano says:

Allen, Jesse, Santos, the blues!!

62. Ronie Rowsey Ronie Rowsey says:

Sorry to hear that this is still happening.

63. Yeah … I heard. Ignorant people everywhere, so sad .

64. Is that N of Temecula near the I-15 and 215 split? Oh, no!

65. Nery Junior Nery Junior says:

Michael Serrano Whoah!

66. Roy Williams Roy Williams says:

It’s getting worse here all of the time….I am prepared to protect my family and home…

67. There are no boundaries with our gun obsession.

68. They found they suspects near Canyon Country Park in the pool area of a community-from what I heard

69. They found they suspects near Canyon Country Park in the pool area of a community-from what I heard

70. Shocking!!! South Palmdale has a shooting.

71. Shocking!!! South Palmdale has a shooting.

72. This is like the 6th homicide in Santa Clarita since January!

73. This is like the 6th homicide in Santa Clarita since January!

74. Well that was a ton of information!

75. Well that was a ton of information!

76. Los templarios Shoshi Maria

77. Los templarios Shoshi Maria

78. Vivi, aren’t you glad you moved

79. Vivi, aren’t you glad you moved

80. Reg Boczko Donovan Boczko

81. Reg Boczko Donovan Boczko

82. Was it black ppl around??

83. Was it black ppl around??

84. Nancy McPeters I was thinking the same thing

85. Nancy McPeters I was thinking the same thing

86. Breanna Rutherfordhey it’s our hood

87. Breanna Rutherfordhey it’s our hood

88. Daniella how close is this to you?

89. Daniella how close is this to you?

90. Like five minutes away but Andrea said everything is under control Nancy Casillas-Ruiz

91. Like five minutes away but Andrea said everything is under control Nancy Casillas-Ruiz

92. Bella Sgc Bella Sgc says:

Isn’t this were u live? ? Marla Landaverde

93. Bella Sgc Bella Sgc says:

Isn’t this were u live? ? Marla Landaverde

94. In THE corner. Though

95. In THE corner. Though

96. Well im sure from past history with the SCV Sheriff Dept. If they have a good lead or tip on who killed them…. they will issue a warrant right away for them to be questioned when pulled over for a light bulb infraction.

97. Well im sure from past history with the SCV Sheriff Dept. If they have a good lead or tip on who killed them…. they will issue a warrant right away for them to be questioned when pulled over for a light bulb infraction.

98. Taylor Mills Taylor Mills says:

Amanda Marie Smith this is where the cops were headed

99. Taylor Mills Taylor Mills says:

Amanda Marie Smith this is where the cops were headed

100. Have they announced who it was

101. Have they announced who it was

102. I was walking there when it happened

103. I was walking there when it happened

104. Its all crazy over there but its not a perfact wrold

105. Its all crazy over there but its not a perfact wrold

106. You Valencia residents seriously need 2 get over yourselves

107. Jose Angel Gutierrez

108. Thank goodness this was not at my complex!!

109. Who says ignorance is bliss?? I say it is stupidity!!

110. Jones YaYa Jones YaYa says:

A’earnie Thomas Jr.

111. Sum YungGuy Sum YungGuy says:

Greg Schiemann must be by your hood

112. Jay Gomes Jay Gomes says:

John Bakraji Chelsey Jenkins no more road rage

113. someone says:

The blues river park, all of Jakes way, is a unincorporated part of Los angels county not part of canyon county, and as a part of the problem 10 years ago, I can say that area is worse than misty in canyon country, but for the most part canyon country, is the cheaper area of Santa clarita, so the Saugus Valencia Newhall kids, move there because it’s affordable, it’s not about Palmdale leaking south, it’s about parents using the mall as a baby sitter, and buying there kids love. The problem in canyon country, isn’t just canyon country and section 8 causing it is the spoiled kids, moving out with no sense of responsibility, or right and wrong. You want to blame someone… that’s silly it’s but a section 8 issue in order to get section 8 you can’t have a drug misdemeanor, it’s like saying, to make the works safer, all registers gin owners should turn in there guns.. it doesn’t change the fact that all the people who own illegal guns now have the monopoly on fire arms.

114. Lynda Johnson we were sitting right there

115. Me and my family left the bottoms of ingle wood and moved to new hall , after a couple of years moved out , something is always happening out there …. Tweeker ville

116. Too many ilegal guns out there…where is the control? ?????

117. Whatever happened to the “where the hell is Santa Clarita?” Shirts and whatnots? Scv USED to be the best kept secret when it came to safety and decency. Parents took their kids out of bad areas and brought the bad area with them sadly. I miss certain people, but I’m glad I’m not there anymore.

118. Aldo Solares Aldo Solares says:

Daniel Silva there was a shooting in that area ,same time we left

119. Increased population = increased crime. It’s only going to get worse…

120. Sarrah Cina Sarrah Cina says:

Zack Tripp the old apartments

121. This is thanks to all the trash from Palmdale! Now it’s affordable for these low life welfare bums to move up here and create havoc in this once very nice tight knit SMALL community! I remember when all these families knew you or your parents. Or knew someone who knew your parents. It’s so sad what Canyon Country has become!

122. To ALL of the females on this post that have painted on McDonald’s arched eyebrows! Your opinion is invalid!! You are apart of the problem!

123. Shirley says:

Wow…welfare bums, Really? They are not all bums..some of them REALLY do need it, so that is just not a nice comment. My mom used to be a “welfare bum” because my dad left her with 4 kids…I am not trash. So I take offense to your rude comment.

124. One nest of crime does not make a whole area bad. Remember a lot of the old real money lives in CC. Sand canyon for example.

125. Fernando Banda Brenda Baca Bruno Baca

126. Ashya Smith Ashya Smith says:

Bee Smith why we choose not to live in Santa Clarita

127. John Bakraji John Bakraji says:

Be careful bring ur gun Jay Gomes

128. glady says:

ok lets make separating housing…yea i know your all gonna love this….good people to the left want to work,or disabled but can’t… come home to quiet peaceful place to the left….thugs, theives, lazy don’t want to work…live off the system, to the right….

129. Jakes way
    Is where i play…
    N jakes way
    Is where i will stay

130. Peter Haddad isn’t that your hood?!?!? and you talk about Simi Valley. Rami Haddad Bassam Haddad

131. Ken Eckman Ken Eckman says:

Carla Louise Eckman

132. Just fyi, that complex is santa clarita’s “the projects”

133. Shanoah Lee Silva this is were grandpa lived before

134. Hahahaa. Hugo Anthony Silva yup $

135. Some very ignorant comments! Yes Danielle, very sad and prayers for everyone..

136. Desiree Jaramillo Lila Jaramillo

137. Hey let’s build more places to live in SCV !!

138. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

Stacey there is even trashy people as u put it that has lived in SCV all their lives. So its not just people that have moved into the area. Their is crime going on all over SCV. Good and bad in every race and furthermore their are good and bad in every area including Awesome Snob town. Not everyone on welfare are bad people some are down on their luck. So don’t judge because you might just end up having the state help u out one of these days, you might get down on your luck. So never judge. If you dont know the reason why people are getting public assistence.

139. Michelle Lea Michelle Lea says:

140. Lynette Valenzuela wow look at the old house

141. Lynette Valenzuela wow look at the old house

142. Lynette Valenzuela wow look at the old house

143. Lynette Valenzuela wow look at the old house

144. Ppl have been killing each other since the beginning of time and it’s only getting worse .. Learn self defense.. But guns while you can and defend your family plain and simple .. I’m so glad I joined the military and learned skills that will forever keep me and mine safe

Thursday, Sep 23, 2021
Hazy SCV Skies from Sequoia Forest Fires
A “significant amount of smoke” from the Windy and KNP Complex fires northeast of Bakersfield in the Sequoia National Forest have entered the Los Angeles area, according to a Thursday morning tweet from the U.S. National Weather Service Los Angeles.
Thursday, Sep 23, 2021
Chiquita Canyon Landfill Health Report Nearing Final Process
The Chiquita Canyon Landfill Technical Advisory Committee met Wednesday afternoon to discuss updates at the Val Verde landfill.
Thursday, Sep 23, 2021
Newhall Shooting Sends One Person to Hospital
At least one person was reported wounded in a shooting in Newhall Wednesday night, prompting a response from law enforcement and medical personnel.

Hazy SCV Skies from Sequoia Forest Fires
Spookiness is on its way to Main Street in Old Town Newhall.
Scarecrow Alley Coming to Old Town Newhall
Chiquita Canyon Landfill Health Report Nearing Final Process
Following a record-breaking event in 2020 – Soup for the Soul will once again be presented virtually in 2021.
Tickets Now on Sale for Bridge to Home’s 2021 Soup for the Soul Virtual Fundraiser
The city of Santa Clarita’s annual Evening of Remembrance event will occur on Wednesday, Sept. 29, beginning with a Walk of Remembrance at 6:15 p.m., followed by the program at 6:45 p.m.
Community Invited to Annual Evening of Remembrance
College of the Canyons is continuing its tradition of inviting community groups to experience Cougar football during the 2021 season, with all healthcare workers and first responders invited to attend Saturday’s game vs. Palomar College free of charge.
Cougars Football Continuing with Community Invite Tradition
The Santa Clarita chapter of the American Cancer Society is excited to announce its annual leading fundraiser of the year — Relay For Life - will take place on Saturday, Oct. 2, at the Westfield Town Center Mall, from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Oct. 2: American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life
Newhall Shooting Sends One Person to Hospital
Are you ready for a “Partea”? Circle of Hope’s 17th Annual Tea Celebration will be held at the Hyatt Regency Valencia on Saturday, Oct. 9, beginning at 11:00 a.m.
Oct. 9: Circle of Hope’s 17th Annual Tea Celebration
SACRAMENTO — State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond proudly recognized Betty Reid Soskin, a pioneering Bay Area civil rights activist and the oldest living National Park Ranger serving in the United States, as an Ambassador to California Education on her 100th birthday.
Betty Reid Soskin Named California’s Newest Education Ambassador
The Mojave Area California State Parks  recently announced status updates for public use.
Status Updates Released for Mojave Area State Parks
1948 - Agua Dulce Women's Club organized [timeline]
Women's Club
The Santa Clarita Planning Commission approved the installation and operation of a Verizon wireless communication facility that will expand wireless coverage in the city’s center.
Verizon Wireless Facility Approved By Planning Commission
State Senator Scott Wilk is honoring four Hispanic community leaders to commemorate National Hispanic Heritage Month.
Wilk Honors Local Hispanic Community Leaders
Los Angeles County Public Health officials on Wednesday confirmed 41 new deaths and 1,750 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 35,403 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Wednesday COVID-19 Roundup: Nursing Facility Numbers See Decline; Santa Clarita Cases total: 35,403
College of the Canyons and the Santa Clarita Environmental Education Consortium, SCEEC, will virtually host the 2021 Green STEM Summit on Saturday, Oct. 9 with the purpose of introducing students to green careers.
COC’s Virtual Green STEM Summit Slated For October
The Angeles National Forest will end its forest closure order Wednesday at 11:59 pm, a week past the expiration of the California regional closure.
Angeles National Forest Ending Closure Order
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond announced a vision for ensuring that every California student will learn to read by third grade by the year 2026 during a virtual press conference on Tuesday
State Superintendent Seeks To Increase Literacy By Third Grade For All California Students
In an effort to keep adopted pets from returning to the shelter, the Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control has launched a free online resource center to help pet owners who can no longer keep their pets.
Pets Get A Second Chance With New Rehoming Program
The population of the city of Santa Clarita grew by 22.9% between 2010 and 2020, according to U.S. Census data released Monday that will be used to redistrict boundaries for various political offices in California.
Santa Clarita Population Has Grown Over 50,000 In Ten Years
A federal court handed international mining conglomerate Cemex a win last week in its decades-long battle to establish a mining operation in Soledad Canyon.
Court Rules In Favor Of Cemex Over Bureau Of Land Management
The American Cancer Society Santa Clarita Valley held a Relay Rally at Westfield Valencia Town Center Saturday afternoon to raise awareness about its annual Relay for Life of the Santa Clarita Valley event on Saturday, Oct. 2.
Community Gets Ready For Relay For Life With Local Relay Rally
1923 - Newhall Chamber of Commerce organizes community cleanup day [story]
cleanup day
Los Angeles County Public Health officials on Tuesday confirmed 32 new deaths and 1,238 new cases of COVID-19 countywide, with 35,326 total cases in the Santa Clarita Valley. Additionally, Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital officials confirmed one new death bringing the total deaths since the pandemic began to 167.
Tuesday COVID-19 Roundup: Officials Confirm 167th Death at Henry Mayo; 35,326 Total SCV Cases
SCVNews.com