The city of Santa Clarita’s Environmental Services Division has planned, coordinated and implemented programs during 2019 designed to make the city more “green.”
Here are some of the accomplishments we made together in 2019, by the numbers:
* 9 new electric vehicle (EV) charging stations installed across the Santa Clarita Valley.
* 3 household hazardous waste roundups collecting more than 158,000 pounds of waste for proper disposal.
* 7,500+ pounds of batteries dropped off for recycling at the city’s six locations.
* 28,000+ tons of construction and demolition debris recycled and not put in the landfill.
* 6,000+ pounds of trash and debris cleaned from storm drain pipes.
* 25,800+ miles of city streets swept by street-sweepers every year.
* 450,000+ pounds of trash removed from the Santa Clara River by volunteers over 25 years of River Rally.
* 3,000+ gallons of used motor oil residents recycled at collection centers and collection events.
* 150 used oil collection kits were donated to local high school and college students.
* 15,000+ gallons of paint collected and recycled at PaintCare facilities and collection events.
* 9+ acre-feet constructed (for a total of 36) to capture stormwater to replenish our local groundwater.
Since Santa Clarita’s incorporation in 1987, the city has made protecting the environment a top priority. With residents’ help, the city made numerous leaps and bounds toward the green in 2019.
City officials thank everyone who contributed to make the year such a huge success.