February 25
1936 - U.S. release of Silent Era's last feature, "Modern Times" with Charles Chaplin, partially shot in SCV [story]
Modern Times scene

[KHTS] – Santa Clarita’s Mulligan’s Restaurant and Bar is closing down Friday after more than 40 years, but they are going out with a bang.

mulligansThe Irish Pub will be hosting a big Halloween party, that will go from when they open at 11:30 a.m. to when they close at around 2 a.m. Saturday, according to restaurant officials.

Mulligan’s has been a place that many Santa Clarita residents have frequented for as long as they have been open.

“My husband had a couple of his campaign parties at Mulligan’s, and it was always a fun location,” said Robin Strickland, wife of Paul Strickland, former William S. Hart School Board member. “It’s sad that a local restaurant icon is closing.”

Mulligan’s was even on The Food Network’s show “On The Rocks,” last January.

The episode was titled Irish Pub Troubles: “Bar expert John Green visits Mulligan’s, an Irish pub in Santa Clarita, Calif. With only four days to turn this bar around, this pub will undergo extensive bar training, a major revamping of the cocktail and food menu and a makeover that brings tears to the owner’s eyes,” according to the Food Network’s website.

Tomorrow is the last day to say goodbye to this staple in the Santa Clarita Valley.

The restaurant did not disclose a reason for the closing, but did say that it saddens them to see it go.

Mulligan’s Restaurant and Bar is located at 25848 Tournament Rd. in Valencia. For more information visit their website here.

1. Wow! So many great memories there :(

2. This place has gone down the tubes. It’s run down, no AC and filthy. It’s a shell of its former self.

3. If you need a drink you could always go to Sunrise Liquor right behind Mulligans, lol

4. Jim Uhl Jim Uhl says:

40 years in THIS location? or were they located elsewhere before?

5. Hmmm it’s been there at least 20years in that spot.

6. Christine says:

Wow another place leaving Santa Clarita. Sad to see it go, but then again with how high rent is im not surprised. i wouldn’t be surprised if it was Santa Clarita that was pushing them out either. but either way, sad to see them go.

7. I heard a Portos is going there.

8. Devin Suttles Eric Pressman Dennis Macchiaverna Sara Freck Daisy Aguilar good thing we went a couple weeks ago! Hahaha

9. Art Tom Art Tom says:

Good riddance. Worst example of a pub I’ve ever seen.

10. I know it’s been there for over 32 years .. I had my Baby shower there … Wait … it wasn’t my Baby shower it was my bridal shower and that was over 34 years ago

11. It’s Obama’s fault

12. I had to because of that great picture comment above

13. Kelly Berry Kelly Berry says:

Matthew, good ‘ol Mulligans. I grew up there, literally. I did my homework in the bar area, played countless games of darts, drank Shirley Temples, and even held my wedding reception in the back room. It was a wonderful place for a long time.

14. Sarai Elizabeth Villasenor

15. I loved Mulligan’s! It’s sad to see it go. Losing a lot of good ole places in Santa Clarita. They were smart to go on Bar Rescue and have them fix it up to make it sell better.

16. I see Portos filling the spot of the old Elephant Bar location.

17. Wow, going to miss this place.

18. Carly Jennings how am I going to go out to do karaoke with you now!?!

19. Steve Behen Steve Behen says:

Wow, I remember eating there in the 80’s before I moved away.

20. Megan Scherich do u remember when your mom gave us a coupon to this place and we couldn’t find it!?

21. Dwayne Pine Dwayne Pine says:

Cops are gonna be all over that place

22. Noooo way! Did I do that?

23. Favorite place for St Patrick’s Day celebration and have so many other great memories of special times with family, friends and co-workers.

24. Shannon Lee Shannon Lee says:

Part of my childhood. Sad

25. What that’s to bad. Had some good times there .

26. Randy Kolar Randy Kolar says:

Susanne , Eric …crazy

27. How sad :/ I cocktailed there about 10 years ago – good times.

28. Angie Nonenmacher nooooooooo!

29. Danielle Renee Guevara

30. Lisa Dixon Lisa Dixon says:

Wow. That’s so sad

31. Spent my last Thanksgiving in California at Mulligans in 1993.

32. Ariana Jocelyn Gucciardi

33. Sorry to hear this – not sure exactly when it became Mulligans but it was not 40 years ago. Before Mulligans there was Torian’s plum and the Village Inn before that at this location which opened around 38 years ago.

34. Hugo Torres Hugo Torres says:

Marcus Magdaleno, no more bloody Mary’s. ..

35. I remember when it opened and it the Village Inn !

36. Deidre. …want to go tomorrow? Haha

37. Debbie Hanna Debbie Hanna says:

Lindsey Hanna member our night there

38. Once Leo sold it, it was never the same! To bad it’s closin I spent many a Saturday nights there in the late 90’s!

39. How sad, had my uncle’s wake there will sort of, my uncle was not there as in a true Irish wake.

40. Lisa Hershfeld-Smith sad day!

41. Alan Bingham Alan Bingham says:

Current owner has no idea how to run a business, I stared going there after the show revamped it, it was ok for a couple of months, but the owner quickly returned to her old ways, the dinner portions became lunch sized portions. The place was targeting the “college” kids (why I don’t know, they show up drunk, don’t buy any food or drinks) go out in the parking lot and drink their own beers and leave their bottles on other peoples cars such as mine) if the buy a drink in the bar, it puts them over and they fall out of their chairs breaking their glass on the floor. She had a group of regulars who were her friends who drank for free and hit on all the women who are there with their dates.

All I can say is good riddens, maybe someone else will open a real restaurant and bar there.

42. My friend bought it and will transform it to a great place!!! Can’t wait!

43. I love that bar, my dad and brother and I were in a bowling tournament they had one year on saint Patricks day it was a blast, hung out there many night after work with my dad..

44. Karen Blum Karen Blum says:

What is the plan for it? The neighborhood needs a Cheers type place where we can get to know each other or a great family spot where you can walk to have breakfast, dinner, coffee or dessert.

45. Guess it’s another one that Bar Rescue couldn’t save. That show doesn’t have a great track record.

46. Diana Thorn Diana Thorn says:

No more corned beef and cabbage. :'(

47. Allan Cameron says:

It is true that this location has had several different brands during the last 30 plus years, including Torians Plum and the Village Inn. Mulligan’s has NOT been there for 40 years. I used to got there frequently. Stopped when the food and service became mediocre. Never was a good physical location.

48. I know Niki I’m very sad!!!! :(

49. Long ago they had a claw machine but you pulled up live lobster instead of stuffed animals. Was great

50. Km. What is going there

51. Km. What is going there

52. Jose Hernandez Annamarie Canilao

53. Jose Hernandez Annamarie Canilao

54. David Doyle David Doyle says:

Its a dump anyways

55. David Doyle David Doyle says:

Its a dump anyways

56. Ryan Clapham didn’t we go here once?

57. Ryan Clapham didn’t we go here once?

58. Kerri Spurlin Mike Spurlin

59. Kerri Spurlin Mike Spurlin

60. Kris Doyle Kris Doyle says:

Well all I can say is, they had a long life of 40 yrs, a lot longer then a lot of places out here, so she must have done something right. Only really went there for Saint Patties day and we always had a good time. Farewell Mulligan’s

61. That’s sad went to a whole Lotta New Year’s Eves there when I was younger I wish things could stay the same forever but they can’t! Thank you mulligans sorry to see you go!

62. Andrew Boron – so long ago White Russians were the drink of choice!?! Wth?

63. Montana Maxim Nisar isn’t this where you and Austin had your first date :-(

64. Susan Felber Denise McCarty Kristin Herr Hogan Michelle Murphy LaBrie I miss your sweet, beautiful faces!! This made me remember all the fun & laughs we use to have! Maybe we need a reunion? xoxo

65. Awwwwww. Bummer their closing.

66. Ryan Kennedy Erica :(

67. WOW! I met my ex-husband there. Seems fitting that the restaurant would be closing down too. LOL

68. Mayra Montes Mayra Montes says:

Matt Freier Millicent Crouch bye mulligans!

69. Wow. Sad to c it close

70. Well gotta say that I went there twice for St Patricks Day and twice I was disappointed. But the service was good, and I really liked the lighting in there. 40 yrs…wow, that is kinda sad. Someone stated here that they know what’s going in there. I too would LOVE to see an independent food place go in, like ( to quote that other statement here) a CHEERS type place. A place not just geared for young partyhearty types but a place EVERYONE could come, eat drink, and be happy hanging out. FIRST REQUEST is GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. ! We have ENOUGH restaurants that employ total ding dongs to serve the public or are just rude.

71. Susan Felber Susan Felber says:

Adrianne Adams Rendall those were the best times! Kristin Herr Hogan I think your dad needs to look into bringing it back, And leave Carp not a chance :)

72. Where is the place. I’m thinking near the golf course. Maybe by Sun Liquor

73. Lindsey Eichler-Leitelt where will you do karaoke now?

74. Nick Gillott Nick Gillott says:

Their landlord is a nazi!!!!! I hope they get hemroids for life

75. Did they get a new onwer?

76. I loved this place! People tell me I celebrated my 25th birthday there. Shame it is closing.

77. Craig Grimes says:

It was never an Irish bar. It was called Mulligans because of the golf course that is nearby. You know, you get a mulligan when you make a bad shot.

78. PATRICK TUMILTY says:

Great place to hang out on NASCAR Sunday’s

79. PATRICK TUMILTY says:

Great place to hang out

80. Barbara Ortega says:

Well, only 8 yrs late seeing this news & comments posted. I was reminiscing & decided to Google. I MUST contribute! I started going here when it was Torian’s in 1979, then Mulligans. This was before the SCV population explosion. This was far more than a wonderful restaurant/bar. It was family! Everyone knew everyone…”Cheers” had nothing on Mulligans. We ate together(fabulous food), drank,
    danced, had contests, watched Monday Night Football,celebrated, laughed, & yes…cried. It was home (away from home) & we had soooo much fun! No ‘regular’ ever got out of hand! Everyone had your back. This place was a huge part of everyone’s life!
    So, I hope that whatever establishment follows on the foundation of Mulligan’s/Torian’s…that they enjoy the success & “love” deposited there. ❤

81. Tom and Trisha says:

Jerry Hodges, Chuck Popham Tom & I use to have a real BLAST.

Modern Times scene
1993 - Jury awards Newhall Land $2.3 million for "Valencia" trademark infringement by Palmer apartments at Valle del Oro, Newhall [story]
Palmer Guilty
Author and illustrator Vashti Harrison (Film/Video MFA 14) has been named the recipient of the 2024 Randolph Caldecott Medal for the most distinguished American picture book for children for her book "Big."
CalArtian Wins 2024 Caldecott Medal
Earlier this month, CSUN’s College of Health and Human Development recognized 10 physical therapy students for winning scholarships from the Roy and Roxie Campanella Foundation and the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation.
CSUN Physical Therapy Students Honored by Campanella, Dodgers Foundations
The Master's University men's basketball team was nearly perfect down the stretch as they defeated the Jessup Warriors 72-65 Thursday night at The MacArthur Center.
Mustangs Defense Comes Up Big in Win Over Jessup 72-65
Scoring 23 points in the final quarter, The Master's University women's basketball team broke open a close game to defeat the Jessup Warriors 59-45 Thursday night in The MacArthur Center.
Lady Mustangs Pull Away in 4th to Defeat Warriors 59-45
Calling all Junior High and High School students – bring your IDs and join us for discounted ice skating at The Cube – Ice and Entertainment Center | Powered by FivePoint Valencia, located at 27745 Smyth Drive.
City Releases Schedule for High School Nights at The Cube
Valencia-based Lief Labs, a premier formulation and product development innovator and manufacturer of dietary supplements which was founded in February of 2008, marked the completion of its 15th year of business with a celebratory event at Lief’s Valencia headquarters on Friday, Feb. 16.
Valencia-Based Lief Labs Celebrates 15 Years
The Santa Clarita City Council will hold a public safety meeting Tuesday, Feb. 27, at 4 p.m., followed by its regular meeting at 6 p.m.
Feb. 27: City Council Expected Consider Parks Vacancy Applicants
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed Friday 78 new cases and one additional death from COVID-19 in the Santa Clarita Valley within the last week.
Public Health Ends Weekly COVID-19 Updates
Recently, the Department of Public Health received a Proposition 65 Notice from the California Department of Toxic Substances Control regarding the threatened illegal discharge of hazardous waste from the Chiquita Canyon Landfill.
Prop 65 Notice Issued to L.A. County for Chiquita Canyon Landfill
One of my favorite passions is traveling, especially to exotic countries to explore different cultures and lifestyles – and if I can’t travel, I love to escape within the pages of a book.
Bill Miranda | Santa Clarita Unveils One Story One City Selection
1998 - Worst day of record-setting 1997-98 El Nino storm season [story]
El Nino
Star has never been one to let a tough situation keep her down. But an unexpected injury put her resilience to the test.
Triumph Foundation:  Star Shines Bright When Darkness Closes In
The Master's University track and field teams had a record-breaking afternoon recently at the Golden Eagle Invitational in Irvine.
Mustangs Enjoy Record-Breaking Afternoon at Golden Eagle Invitational
VENTURA — College of the Canyons saw its second round of action in the young season with a trip to Ventura College for the annual Western State Conference (WSC) Relays on Feb. 16.
Cougars Set School Record at WSC Relays
Los Angeles County Supervisor Kathryn Barger, whose Fifth District includes the Santa Clarita Valley, issued a statement in response to Thursday's Chiquita Canyon Landfill protest.
Barger Releases Statement Regarding Chiquita Canyon Protest
Henry Mayo Newhall Hospital is proud to be recognized by Blue Cross Blue Shield of California with a Blue Distinction Centers (BDC) for Maternity Care designation as part of the Blue Distinction Specialty Care program.
Henry Mayo Earns High Quality Maternity Care Recognition
College of the Canyons student-athletes Estrella Segura (women's tennis) and Ethan Posthumus (men's golf) have been named the COC Athletic Department's Women's & Men's Student-Athletes of the Week for the period running Feb. 12-17
COC Names Estrella Segura, Ethan Posthumus Named Athletes of the Week
The California Department of Transportation advises the public that a helicopter will be used in a highway project on State Route 14, south of Golden Valley Road in Santa Clarita beginning Tuesday, Feb. 27.
Caltrans Announces Helicopter Aid to Protect Golden Valley Road Slope
Grab your friends and family, and meet Santa Clarita city staff on the trail!
Santa Clarita Community Encouraged to ‘Take a Hike’
Bright lights, thousands of screaming fans — dream job.
Two CSUN Music Alums Join Jonas Brothers on World Tour
Los Angeles County filed a lawsuit Wednesday against food delivery company Grubhub alleging false and deceptive advertising, misrepresentation and unfair business practices that financially harm consumers, delivery drivers and restaurants.
County Files Suit Against Grubhub Alleging Unfair Business Practices
Antelope Valley Indian Museum wants to invite its amazing local youth to a fun weekly reading sit-down at the Museum.
AV Indian Museum Hosting Book Time at The Butte