The Saugus Cafe will be recognized as the oldest continuing operational cafe in Los Angeles County during a plaque dedication ceremony Sunday, Oct. 16 at 2 p.m.
The Ancient and Honorable Organization of E Clampus Vitus, known as “Clampers”, Platrix Chapter #2 and Peter Lebeck Chapter #1866 will host the dedication ceremony. The ceremony will recognize the Saugus Cafe as the oldest continuing operational cafe in L.A. County and as a historical establishment that continues to provide bountiful meals steeped in California history.
The community is invited to honor and celebrate the Saugus Cafe’s rich and colorful history at the plaque dedication. The ceremony will be held at the Saugus Cafe, 25861 Railroad Ave. Santa Clarita, CA 91350.
Opened in 1886, The Saugus Café is one of the most colorful and historical eating establishments in Southern California, and the longest operating restaurant in L.A. County. It has hosted Presidents, Benjamin Harrison in 1891 and Theodore Roosevelt in May, 1903.
As the local area became a favorite film location for the film industry many Hollywood notables have patronized the Saugus Cafe including directors John Ford and D.W. Griffith.
The café became a favorite eating locale for Douglas Fairbanks, Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin, Harry Carey, Hoot Gibson, Tom Mix and William S. Hart. Other stars that have patronized this historic establishment are Clark Gable, Gary Cooper, John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, Tex Ritter and Frank Sinatra.
Along with the Hollywood elite, The Saugus Café has been a gathering place for local community members and anyone looking to enjoy a meal amongst friends, family and local history.
Currently, The Saugus Cafe is continuing to serve bountiful meals at reasonable prices under the current ownership of Alfredo Mercado.
Steeped in tradition, it is a place where people can dine with old friends, be surrounded by California history, meet legendary characters and Hollywood film legends, and, of course, start a conversation with the everyday folk which make up the citizenry of the Santa Clarita Valley.
For more information visit The Saugus Cafe.
The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus is a fraternal organization dedicated to the preservation of the heritage of the American West. There are currently 47 chapters in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Arizona/New Mexico, Montana and Colorado with more than 75,000 members.
The organization has placed historical plaques in many places, often at sites overlooked by more traditional historical societies. These are now common in historical areas around California and the West. When in California Gold Country, a Clamper-placed plaque is never far away.