June 21
1941 - Ernie Hickson buys out Trem Carr's interest in their Monogram movie ranch, renames it "Placeritos" (later called Melody). [story]
Ernie Hickson

Now and Then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Jul 20, 2014

darrylmanzer_blacktieThe mother of a close friend died yesterday after a long bout with leukemia. A lady of quick wit and ready smile, she was the wartime bride of a World War II veteran who passed last year.

Being 95 years old, she was just a few months older than my mother would have been. The funny thing is, she attended school in a little town in South Dakota with some cousins of my father. I think my dad went to that same school, but he was four years older, so I doubt they ever met.

Folks in that part of the Midwest were hardy souls. Hard work came easy to them. A day of doing nothing just didn’t seem to be in their character. Folks who seemed to love work, she and her husband raised two children and built a good life for their family in West Los Angeles.

The lady was full of cute sayings that my friend called “mom-isms.” She had so many, I can’t even begin to repeat them. Just say that during her long life, she had experienced so much that her cup of wisdom was filled to overflowing. The type of person with common sense who seems so difficult to find these days.

With three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, her life was truly blessed. She was a class act to the end.

When a mother, father, husband or wife dies the pain seems almost unbearable. Having known “Mom,” she wouldn’t want us to feel so much pain. She’d want to hug and hold us until the pain subsided and we could continue our lives a whole bunch richer because she was part of our lives.

I learned of the pain of losing parents when I was just a teenager. I’d like to think that my folks, had they lived longer, would have been much like my friend’s mother and father. A priest friend once described such people as good and happy souls who will be in heaven to greet us when we, too, leave this life for the next.

Born in 1919, she saw all kinds of events in her life. She was born just before women were granted the right to vote, so she first voted in 1940.

She saw the crash of the stock market and the end of Prohibition. There was the rise of Hitler and the sneak attack by Japan on Pearl Harbor. She married a soldier who, soon after the wedding, went off to Europe to be part of the invasion of France on June 6, 1944.

They wrote letters in those days, and there were many, I’m sure. From the day of their wedding to yesterday, she loved the man she married. As long as she was still talking, she never failed to say something good about him. She was in love from the beginning. I know they are together now, and I’ll bet they are hugging each other tightly again.

Being part of the Greatest Generation, her outlook on life was a little different than what ours is today. She and her husband knew the value of the work they did and built a business and raised a family. I’m sure times were rough for the couple, but they did just fine. Financially they had a comfortable life, but only because they knew the value of what they had.

I remember being at her home once when I discovered she was saving aluminum foil for reuse. It seems that generation knew how to recycle long before it ever became a city-mandated green and blue barrel day. Maybe they were a little more attuned to the world’s environment than we thought.

There are many, many people who will miss her daughter posting on Facebook the latest “mom-ism.” They were able to share in her humor and wisdom just a little with each of those postings.

I’ll miss her smile and conversation and the ability to laugh when she was hurting so much. We can’t imagine what she went through. We do know we can feel our hearts breaking, which can only be healed by the tears streaming down our faces.

As this old sailor will recall, the prayers I’ve heard too often in my life seem a bit apropos today. You see, at the end of a watch or duty time at sea, the ship’s bell would toll so that the next watch section could take over. This time the bell tolled for her so she can lay down her oar and never have to suffer a storm again. She is at peace, and so is the sea.

Mrs. Saporito, you’re the best. Say hello to my folks when you see them. I’m sure you would have been long and fast friends in this life. I know you’ve already become that in the next. May God bless you and keep you through all eternity.

Amen.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Dianne Raynor says:

Thank you Darryl for this heartfelt tribute.

2. Wonderful read. Thank you.

3. SCV Janie says:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this beautiful tribute to my mother. She was all of this and more. I am up at 6 am because it is the time it usually had to check mom’s oxygen and vital signs. But she is not here, the bed is empty and so I will try to sleep a bit longer. The house is so quiet. Even the birds outside are silent this morning. The sky is heavy with gray clouds,and it is the latter part of July. Nature mourns with me today, and so I will rest, knowing the beautiful Leaetta is dancing with my father once again, this time forever.

4. Penny says:

I followed the posts and read each mom – ism. Beautiful tribute to her. Thank you.

5. lorraine richards says:

Throughout the past few years I have have been blessed to see Jayne post some precious and funny momisms that made my day! What am amazing tribute to Mom And Ms.Jayne! Sending love, hugs and prayers to the entire family he loved her an will miss her!

6. Anonymous says:

Great tribute. You kept so much in this. Whatta wonderful woman!

7. Sandy Holt says:

Wonderful tribute to Mama Saporito… Thank you for sharing

8. I just found out, and you and the family are in my prayers. Beautiful tribute.

9. A great tribute to a wonderful woman, I wish I could’ve known her. This will always be my loss. Rest in peace.

10. Wow, Jayne! A lovely tribute for ur wonderful mama!

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Thursday, Jun 20, 2024
Every summer, Santa Clarita’s very own Central Park, located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road, transforms into a premiere venue for live musical performances where friends, families and neighbors come together to sing and dance the night away.
Thursday, Jun 20, 2024
One of my favorite parts about our community is the ability to walk, bike or ride along our trails and paseos.
Wednesday, Jun 19, 2024
This weeks Edition of Pilar's Pocketbook focuses on ways to help reduce fees and pay for piling parking tickets.
Wednesday, Jun 12, 2024
Welcome to this edition of Pilar's Pocketbook. This week, has crucial information to help navigate tax filings and ensure entitled benefits are received.
Monday, Jun 10, 2024
As the temperatures rise and schools are out for summer break, many families and outdoor enthusiasts turn to our 13,000 acres of open space trails to enjoy a day out in nature
Monday, Jun 10, 2024
This week, I gave my annual State of the County address hosted by the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce.

Ernie Hickson
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) reports that the fast moving Post Fire that broke out in Gorman on Saturday, June 15 around 1:47 p.m. has reached 15,690 acres and is now 24% contained. This latest CAL FIRE update was issued at 7 a.m. on Thursday.
Post Fire 47 Percent Contained, Reported 15,690 Acres
The Santa Clarita Arts Commission will hold a study session Thursday, June 27, at 6 p.m., in the Carl Boyer Room at City Hall.
June 27: Arts Commission Study Session
Katherine Dyer has signed her national letter of intent to continue her swimming career at The Master's University.
Katherine Dyer Commits to TMU Swim Program
Jason Gibbs | Get Ready for Concerts in the Park Summer Soundtrack
California State University, Northridge's Trey Knight, Chase Mars and David Phillips, Jr. will compete at the 2024 United States Olympic Trials in Eugene, Ore. beginning June 27.
Several Matadors Qualify for 2024 U.S. Olympic Trials
The Los Angeles County Health Officer has issued a heat advisory for the Santa Clarita Valley Saturday, June 22  through Sunday, June 23 until 8 p.m., as high temperatures have been forecast.
Heat Advisory Issued for SCV
The Los Angeles County Development Authority was recently presented with two awards from the National Association of Counties.
LACDA’s Lead, Childcare Programs Receive National Recognition
The city of Santa Clarita is now accepting names for the Youth Grove in Central Park, which is located at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road. This project honors Santa Clarita youth, aged 24 years and younger, who have tragically lost their lives in traffic-related incidents.
City Now Accepting Youth Grove Submissions
Ken Striplin | Enhancing Trail System Accessibility, Recreation
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health cautions residents who are planning to visit the following Los Angeles County beaches to avoid swimming, surfing, and playing in ocean waters due to bacterial levels exceeding health standards when last tested.
High Bacterial Levels Continue at L.A. County Beaches
2002 - "Legacy: Santa Clarita's Living History" series debuts on SCVTV with "Placerita Gold" episode [watch]
Legacy
Pilar Schiavo | Reduce Parking Ticket Fees
Kick off summer right with a Tiki Party Beer Fest over at Lucky Luke Santa Clarita on Friday, June 21.
June 21: Kick off the Summer with Lucky Luke’s Tiki Party Beer Fest
Bring the family and enjoy a day at Valencia Town Center on Saturday, June 22 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with an exciting lineup of cars, coffee and cuisine.
June 22: Cars, Coffee, Cuisine, Crafts at Valencia Town Center
See how the Advanced Technology Center is helping train the next class of skilled technicians with a tour of the facility.
June 25: Take a Tour of COC’s Advanced Technology Center
Detectives from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department are asking for the public’s help locating At Risk Missing Person Justin Matthew Lederer.
LASD is Asking for the Public’s Help Locating Missing Person Justin Matthew Lederer
The L.A. Library Summer Discovery Program is on a roll. For those that haven't signed up for the celebration of reading and exploration for all ages yet, join online, or head to the local library to grab a game card and activity idea list.
L.A. County Library Summer Discovery Program Already on a Roll
WalletHub compared more than 180 of the largest cities in the U.S. based on the latest data on consumers’ finances from TransUnion and the Federal Reserve, adjusted for inflation. Below, you can find a handful of highlights from the report.
WalletHub: Santa Clarita Ranks First among the Cities with the Highest Credit Card Debts
1960 - SCV switches to Direct Dial, All-Number Calling [story]
map
The ARTree Community Arts Center will host a Botanical Drawing Workshop 10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 1 at the center's Studio 2, 22508 6th St., Santa Clarita, CA 91321.
Aug 1: ARTree Botanical Drawing Workshop
Create a superhero identity at the ARTree Summer Superhero Art Camp from July 22- July 26 at ARTree Community Arts Center, ARTree Studio 1 22508 6th St., Santa Clarita, CA 91321.
ARTree Summer Superhero Art Camp
Join the city of Santa Clarita for a special ribbon-cutting ceremony, marking the grand opening of Needham Ranch Parkway on Monday, June 24, at 9:30 a.m.
June 24: Needham Ranch Parkway Grand Opening