Showers
Showers

April 8
1874 - Work completed at Lyon's Station (now Eternal Valley) on first version of Pioneer Oil Refinery [story]
Pioneer Oil Refinery

Now and then in the SCV | Commentary by Darryl Manzer
| Sunday, Mar 16, 2014

darrylmanzer021014I must have struck a chord with some folks in HOA neighborhoods in one of my last columns. You know, those neighborhoods where you pay anywhere from $20 to $400 per month to the Home Owners Association so they can tell you how treat you own property.

I’ve lived in such a place. In Virginia. Nice brick house. Great neighbors. An HOA managed by a company that couldn’t listen to the people who paid them.

Case in point. I had built a cedar fence and wanted to build a garden shed to match the fence. So I got the cedar materials for the shed and built it. The HOA had approved the location on my lot; it also approved the fence location.

I continued with the landscaping, and wouldn’t you know? A letter comes, telling me my shed is in violation of the rules that say it must match the house color. I asked them: Which color in the brick it should be painted? They replied, “The color of the shed must match the house color.”

We argued via letter until I finally painted the shed a light yellow to match the siding that was in the peaks of the roof of the house. Painted the trim white. Now that shed isn’t an eyesore to the community.

hoa_shedI took this picture when I was painting the shed for the second time.

Anyway, if you go look at that house today in Suffolk, Va., you cannot see the shed from the street in front of the house or on a cross street and not from the yard and street in back. The trees have grown so much, you cannot see the shed. It could be painted any color now, and nobody would know. It still does not match the house.

I go back to the neighborhood of Happy Valley in Newhall. Driving up Valley or Apple or on Maple and Cross. Obviously an HOA is needed. Can’t the people walking at night see the blight? OMG! Look at that huge RV parked in that driveway. An HOA would take care of that.

The various colors on the homes and the fence lines that seem to wander all over various properties are just appalling. Why don’t those people want an HOA to rein in such errors in judgment on the part of the property owners? How can they live in such a neighborhood? Don’t they know property values will go down if such blight remains?

You know that if folks put in half as much time and no money on working with whatever local government entity they are in, there wouldn’t be a need for an HOA. The county and the city of Santa Clarita have plenty of laws and regulations to counter suburban blight.

But I can make this promise and it will be kept. (Unlike the promises the president makes on just about any subject). If you like your HOA you can keep your HOA. Period. If you like your house looking like all the others in the neighborhood, keep it that way. Period.

There is another example of a neighborhood without an HOA not far from the SCV. It is located in Woodland Hills. IF you can find a place for sale there, you had best bring a lot of money. Homes that sold for $32,000 in 1972 are now listed for $1.5 million. If they have a view, the price nearly doubles. No HOA. A place, like Happy Valley, where you can say, “… and after you turn it is the green house with the black trim on the right and there is a little orange bridge in the front yard, too.”

In the 1950s in Castaic, we had a community swimming pool – as did Val Verde and Newhall. All operated by Los Angeles County. Paid for by taxes, but great places to spend summer days. Are you paying for a pool and tennis courts and park-like setting in your neighborhood? You want to feel you live in an “exclusive” neighborhood? Go ahead and keep your HOA. I, for one, will not buy is such a neighborhood. I want the freedom to see what my neighbors would say if I painted my house a nice fire-engine red. I want to see what they say to a desert landscape of cacti and mesquite, rocks and sand.

I wouldn’t exercise that “freedom,” but I sure as hell wouldn’t leave it to some group of people that might not like me.

Let me paraphrase the great, Groucho Marx: “I wouldn’t live in a neighborhood that would accept me as a neighbor … unless they accepted me ‘as-is’ without considering the color of my house and the trees I do or don’t plant.”

“Exlusive” usually means some will be excluded. I prefer that be decided by market values and not some HOA.

By the way, I hope this answers one of the comments I got via email. I will exercise my opinion about HOAs, and I will not darken the streets where you live. You might not like my kind there. Are your gate guards on post? No worry. I’m not coming there.

Darryl Manzer grew up in the Pico Canyon oil town of Mentryville in the 1960s and attended Hart High School. After a career in the U.S. Navy he returned to live in the Santa Clarita Valley. He can be reached at dmanzer@scvhistory.com and his commentaries, published on Tuesdays and Sundays, are archived at DManzer.com. Watch his walking tour of Mentryville [here].

1. Carole Hunt Carole Hunt says:

Couldn’t agree more!

2. I always imagined those who run an HOA as a bunch of bored people desperately seeking some kind of authority. Luckily my fee is on the low end.

3. Agreed on mostly all fronts. Always fight the HOA stepford mentality, it’s such a boring waste of childlike “power”. It’s your house, do what you want.

4. John Gilbert John Gilbert says:

The City is our new Homeowners Assoc.; When I met my Wife, she was at Princessa Estates. The HOE there are a bunch of Jack Booted Thugs. So when we got married, we decided to live in my house in old “North Oaks” in Cyn Ctry. Lo and behold, our neighbor across the street (who had been at war with his next door neighbors, and using the City as the stick) turns me into the City of SCV because my lawn wasn’t green enough in July. So, we were threatened with fines and time limits to comply. The City Rep came out and proceeded to point out the building and beautification code violations visible at all my neighbors houses (He even told me his Dad’s house ovr in Bouquet Cyn had a non permitted back patio cover!). I asked him why he didn’t report and cite them and he said, “Oh…WE don’t do that. We’re reactive, not proactive. But, if YOU call us and complain, we’ll come out to do it.” WTF ???? So, $1,500 and one vacation week later, we got off the City’s S— list. But, the illegal walls, dead & overgrown lawns, park strips, & trees, metal framed car covers in driveways, cars parked on lawns and on the streets unmoved for weeks, buckled sidewalks all over the neighborhood…that’s okay. Btw, I was also told that the City wouldn’t do any landscaping and improvements on Whites Canyon between Soledad Cyn Rd and Nadal St Because so many of the homes were under Prop 13, that we would have to agree to raise out taxes to have the improvements that the City had done on Soledad in the middle of nowhere between Bouquet and Reuther. They treat us like we’re a Barrio.

5. Thank God I don’t live in HOA!!! Don’t want people to tell me how I should live or where should I put my trash CAN!

6. brian says:

I live in an area in scv- my boa is pathetic my house is listed right now. I’ve see the lady that works for the hoa walking on the common area hill where my backyard fence is looking in and taking notes….. ridiculous

The spa is off all winter and on in the summer? Seems backwards… I could go on and on

7. Megan Roy Megan Roy says:

Where I live the HOA fees (condo complex) have just gone up and up and I remember once getting a fine for something i left on my balcony during a remodel. But now, the lawn directly in front of my condo is about a third gone, with no plans to fix it, we constantly have people dumping mattresses and couches into our dumpsters. which is another story. each building in the complex has 2 dumpsters. except mine, the top part o the complex has 1 and its meant to serve 12 condos, but we have the lower neighbors, another 16 condos, using our trash when they have their own 2 dumpsters. also, if i have a friend watching my place for a weekend, and they park in guest parking, they get a ticket but any other time, the guest parking is filled with residents and our “security” said they don’t care. GRRRRR. HOAs!

8. Come to Colorado in a non-hoa neighborhood. Weeds as tall as your shoulders. Trash sitting in yards for months at a time. Houses operating as businesses with neon “Open” signs in the windows. Yeah, HOA can get on your nerves. But you will never appreciate it until it’s gone. My house would easily be worth tens of thousands more if we had an H.O.A.

• Classic, you move away from California (probably because you said you were “tired of Californians”) and then you complain about pointless, idiotic things like “weeds” which are probably just natural landscape. Here’s a clue, you are what is ruining neighboring states. I moved to AZ, many people I know moved to Colorado, Utah, etc to get away from HOAs, weed smoking, hippies, yuppies, liberals, and all you idiots try to make every state ran like broke California. No wonder locals in these states hate when Californians move in. If I buy land, in a rural area, I really dont care if my neighbor has a trailer on *their* property. I dont care if they live like a slob, I dont care if they drive a crappy car. You know why? It doesn’t affect me. Say what you want about property values hoss, but you are free to go back to the left coast. Take all your like minded friends with you.

• Everything I said was true. Yeah, if you want to insert “rural” into the equation than go ahead and leave trash wherever you please. I never said anything about living in a rural area. If you live in a neighborhood, it’s nice to have H.O.A to keep everyone in check. Of course some can get out of hand, or charge too much money. You assumed I’m “tired of Californians”, when I never said that. You talked about weeds in “natural landscape” when I said some people let them get to shoulder length, which I am serious about and not exaggerating, shoulder length which is not only hideous but a fire hazard as well. You tell me to go back to the left coast, when the entire point I was making is no one wants to buy a house in a neighborhood that is run down by people letting their houses go to crap. Here is a perfect example from yesterday. Please explain how this is good for a neighborhood. http://www.krdo.com/news/toilets-and-sink-hanging-around-tree-in-front-yard/24997508

9. Chris Davis says:

I live in an HOA neighborhood and I LOVE IT!!!
    20 years ago when I lived in the valley, I had a dumbass neighbor who thought nothing of parking his 32 ft RV in front of my home ( he didn’t want to block his view, so that’s why he parked in in front of my house), blocking my views of the neighborhood and access to my driveway. LAPD wouldn’t come out and ticket, it was a constant issue with this lunkhead. My HOA is GREAT…fees haven’t been raised in the entire time that I have lived here. They don’t jump down your throat for every minor issue and my neighborhood looks great! I would rather not have someone park their boats, rv’s and misc crap in the driveways or on the streets for months at a time. But see that’s why living in SCV is so great…those of us who want a set tone for the properties move to HOA’s those who don’t live in NON_HOA’s. As an after thought on the condo’s/townhomes…yes I have owned a couple where the HOA gestapo did their weekly walks and ticketed you for such minor infractions as having a small wind decoration on your “not acceptable colored” umbrella. Seriously, those people need to run the prisons.

• Joan Kelly says:

Chris, you don’t need an HOA to enforce RV parking in Santa Clarita. The city has its own rules regarding this AND enforces them. I know. I have called in many RV violations and they are taken care of immediately.

But you are correct in your view of the “HOA gestapo”. These people are ridiculous and are normally retired people who nothing better to do than walk around the neighborhood and notice things that no one else cares about.

10. Jayne saporito says:

Our HOA dues are $230 a month now, and still rising. We have one pool and a tennis court. It is the slope area that is wasting all the money. Constant gardening, 500k a year on it, ridiculous.

11. Joan Kelly says:

Jayne, the same is true in our HOA. We have nothing except slopes. We pay $132 a month and this will rise soon. Our HOA does not listen to the membership and makes decisions based on their own opinions and what they want. Our landscaping company gets over $150k a year for dead slopes.

12. SunshineCortes says:

Practical article , Apropos , if your business is searching for a SC DoR SC1120 , my business filled out and faxed a sample document here http://goo.gl/j7FY3H

Opinion Section Policy
All opinions and ideas are welcome. Factually inaccurate, libelous, defamatory, profane or hateful statements are not. Your words must be your own. All commentary is subject to editing for legibility. There is no length limit, but the shorter, the better the odds of people reading it. "Local" SCV-related topics are preferred. Send commentary to: LETTERS (at) SCVNEWS.COM. Author's full name, community name, phone number and e-mail address are required. Phone numbers and e-mail addresses are not published except at author's request. Acknowledgment of submission does not guarantee publication.
Read More From...
RECENT COMMENTARY
Tuesday, Apr 7, 2020
My colleagues on the front line face an opponent in this war that is unknown. There are no curative tools to fight against it, communications are limited because the virus is poorly understood, and options are variable because of unpredictability.
Monday, Apr 6, 2020
After seeing all my patients, I talked to the administrator at one of the homes who said the facility had no extra masks, gowns or shoe coverings.
Sunday, Apr 5, 2020
Hospitals must protect patients from spreading this virus to the medical staff and the public. One contaminating source could be from visiting family members.
Saturday, Apr 4, 2020
Like cockroaches in a kitchen when you turn on the light, everyone scattered, with carts banging into each other for a frantic escape.
Friday, Apr 3, 2020
The hospital had decided their personal doctor they trusted for 30 years would not be allowed to care for them, and instead a “stranger” would be their physician.
Thursday, Apr 2, 2020
Earthquake, fire, epidemic, pandemic are all real disasters. Are you ready? Have you prepared? If you’re still running to the store every other day, you’re not prepared, and you could be opening yourself up to infection.

Pioneer Oil Refinery
According to Fire Department officials, 32 personnel currently have been tested. Of those tested, 12 LACFD personnel have been confirmed as being COVID-19 positive.
L.A. County Fire Dept.: 32 Personnel Tested, 12 Have COVID-19
Saugus High School and its Principal Vince Ferry has won the Best Leadership Program Award from Teen Truth, a national organization with a mission to build school culture and empower student voice in every aspect of education.
Saugus High Principal Vince Ferry Wins Best Leadership Award
Los Angeles County will activate a new drive-through, appointment-only COVID-19 testing site at College of the Canyons on Wednesday morning, April 8.
COVID-19 Drive-Thru Testing Center Opens Wednesday at COC
The sliver of optimism comes with a dose of reality for California’s nearly 40 million residents who are trapped in their homes for the foreseeable future: It will likely be the beginning of June, not May, before there is even a chance of easing the restrictions.
Data Show California’s Stay-at-Home Order Flattening Curve, But Lockdown Likely Until June
The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce announced Tuesday the launch of its new weekly "@Lunch With…" virtual lunchtime series, which is designed to bring the business community together for engaging and insightful conversations on current local issues and topics with recognized community leaders.
Chamber Launches Virtual Luncheon Program
County Public Health has identified 6,910 cases across all areas of L.A. County, including 169 deaths. At least 139 cases have been reported for the Santa Clarita Valley.
L.A. County Tuesday: 22 New Deaths; 550 New Cases; Min. 139 Cases in SCV
College of the Canyons is a major hub of activity in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Registration Now Open for COC’s Free Personal, Professional Learning Classes
Covid-PTSD | Doctor’s Diary with Dr. Gene Dorio
Hanley Investment Group Real Estate Advisors, a nationally recognized real estate brokerage and advisory firm specializing in retail property sales, announced Monday that the firm has completed the sale of an absolute triple-net ground lease for a new construction, single-tenant Circle K convenience store and gas station located at 24010 Copper Hill Drive in Valencia.
New Construction Circle K in Valencia Sold for $4M
Update as of 12:50 p.m., Tuesday, April 7: Santa Clarita-based Princess Cruises announced that disembarkation will continue (Tuesday), with an additional nine domestic charter flights scheduled. All charters were arranged by Princess Cruises. Guests requiring shoreside medical care have been disembarked and are being treated at local and regional hospitals.
Passengers Begin to Disembark Coral Princess
The County of Los Angeles is committed to providing residents and their families with important resources throughout the COVID-19 crisis that address financial stressors.
Financial Resources Available to County Residents, Employers During Crisis
The Los Angeles County Department of Workforce Development, Aging and Community Services (WDACS), with support of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, announced Tuesday that the LA County Employer Assistance Grant Fund will be launched on Wednesday, April 8.
County Launches $500K Employer Assistance Fund; Webinar to Provide Guidance
One person died in a head-on collision early Tuesday morning on Sierra Highway in Agua Dulce.
One Person Dead After Head-on Collision in Agua Dulce
On the heels of the announcement that students will remain out of school for the remainder of the academic year due to the current public health crisis, the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) is calling on residents to help ensure that children remain safe.
Community Urged to be Voice of Children as Concern for Child Safety Rises
An employee at Los Angeles County Probation’s Barry J. Nidorf Juvenile Hall in Sylmar has tested positive for COVID-19.
County Confirms 2nd COVID-19 Case at Sylmar Juvenile Hall
1860 - Los Angeles Star (newspaper) reports string of Army wagons from Fort Tejon traversing Newhall Pass [story]
Fort Tejon
Two more members of the College of the Canyons community have been diagnosed with coronavirus. These are the second and third cases of coronavirus connected to the college.
COC Reports 2nd, 3rd COVID-19 Cases
To date, the Public Health Department has identified 6,360 cases across all areas of L.A. County, including 147 deaths. A minimum of 1 death and 132 cases — and as many as 144 cases — have occurred in the Santa Clarita Valley.
L.A. County Monday: 6,360 Cases, Min. 132 in SCV; Suggests No Shopping This Week
Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday announced the establishment of the Los Angeles Surge Hospital, a temporary facility in L.A. that will expand access to additional beds and expand ICU capacity for patients who contract COVID-19.
State, County, Healthcare Groups to Open ‘Los Angeles Surge Hospital’
Out of an abundance of caution and to prevent the spread of #coronavirus (#COVID-19), all L.A. County parks will be closed on Sunday, April 12
All County Parks Closed Easter Sunday
California now has had a total of 14,336 confirmed cases and 343 deaths due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the state Department of Public Health announced Monday.
California Monday: 14,336 Cases, 343 Deaths
Because of the recent rainfall, Los Angeles County Health Officer Muntu Davis, MD, MPH, has extended a beach advisory through Thursday at 7 a.m.
Beach Advisory in Effect Through Thursday